Genealogy Trails
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.
GREGG TOWNSHIP
MORGAN COUNTY
(Transcribed from the book "Counties of Morgan, Monroe and Brown Indiana" 1884)

GEORGE RILEY BRIANT was born in Clay Township, this county, August 17, 1843, being a son of John S. and Rachel (Burris) Briant, who came at an early day to this State, married, and reared nine sons and one daughter.  George R. Briant, after working on the farm and going to school, enlisted August 12, 1861, in Company A, Thirty-third Indiana Volunteer Regiment, and served actively for three and a half years;  he experienced many hard battles, and May 25, 1865, had his left arm shot off at the shoulder, which led to his discharge in February, 1865.  He was previously taken prisoner at Thompson's Station, and held thirty-three days in Libby Prison, and afterward, in February, 1864, became a veteran.  After the war he engaged in farming, and in 1879 commenced the photographic business at Wilbur, in which he is now engaged.  While on veteran furlough, April 26, 1864, he married Emily S., daughter of W. Gordon (deceased), which union gave issue to seven children, Franklin Sherman, Bennie Ellsworth, Lodema Ellen, Naomi E. (deceased), Viola Eldora, Letitia Evaline and Dudley Erech.  In 1878, Mr. Briant came into this township, and has for some years resided at Wilbur.  He was Township Assessor from 1876 to 1878, and has served eight years as Constable. He is owner of 120 acres in Jefferson, and of 12 1/2 acres in this township.  Mr.Briant is an active Republican, and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

JAMES HENRY BROWN was born in this township September 15, 1842, and is a son of Oliver H. and Betsey (Carter) Brown, natives of Kentucky, whose parents moved to Indiana in the early time, and located in Morgan County, where the parents of our subject were married.  James Henry is the eldest of this family, and assisted his father on the homestead farm. September16, 1861, he enlisted in Company E, Thirty-third Indiana Volunteer Regiment, served three years, and in February, 1864, became a veteran. He took part in the battles of Wild Cat, Resaca, Peach Tree Creek, Atlanta, the historic "Sherman's march," and during his service was promoted from Corporal to Captain of his company, as which he left the army. After his return, he pursued farming for some years, and in February, 1871, engaged in mercantile business at Hall, which enterprise he has successfully continued. While at home on furlough, April 17, 1864, he married Miss Emeline, daughter of Michael Pruitt, to which union have been born six children - LeRoy N. (deceased), Oraola, Josephine (deceased), Ina Bell, Daisy D. and Ralph Edwin. In 1866, Mr. Brown was elected Township Trustee, and has been Postmaster at Hall since 1876. He is a stanch Republican and a Master Mason, and he and wife are members of the Christian Church.

RICE EVANS BROWN was born in Oldham County, Ky., January 27, 1819, and is a son of William and Elizabeth (Wilson) Brown, natives of Virginia, where they married in 1796
Mr. Brown came to Indiana in 1834, after living in Kentucky for some years, where Mrs. Brown closed her life in 1829, aged fifty-two years. He afterward married Elizabeth Phillips, and died in 1854, aged eighty years, in this township. Rice Evans Brown was reared on the farm, and received the rudiments of education from the subscription schools. September 7, 1837, he married Ann C., daughter of Bright and Elizabeth Pruitt, by which union were born to them ten children - William B., Andrew C., Emily S., James M., Sarah E., Amos (deceased), Alvin H., Almira J., Mary M. (deceased) and Ida May. Mr. Brown owns and cultivates 160 acres, of which Mrs. Brown inherited eighty from her father. Three of their sons, William B., Andrew C. and James M. - were soldiers in the late war  Mr. Brown is a pillar of the Christian Church and a respected citizen.

BENJAMIN CORNWELL was born in Oldham County, Ky., December 3, 1844, and is the eldest of the five children of John and Minerva (Williams) Cornwell, natives of Kentucky, who located in Washington County, Ind., where our subject grew to manhood and obtained the common education the schools afforded. During boyhood, Benjamin learned the blacksmith trade, at which he labored until August, 1861, when he enlisted in Company K, Fifty-third Indiana Volunteers, and served actively at Vicksburg, Black River, Bolivar, Jackson, Shiloh and on other fields; received an honorable discharge in 1864, and afterward engaged at farming for one year, then resumed blacksmithing, at which he has since continued. November 16, 1865, he wedded Vernilla Ludlow, of this county, and they have become parents to five children, three of whom are living,  John Milton, Altha and Levada. Mr. Cornwell is an excellent man and a patriotic citizen. Like all the soldiers, glory nestles around him and shows him worthy of confidence and support. He is an esteemed citizen, and Mrs. C. is a member of the Christian Church.

JAMES COX was born in Dayton, Ohio, August 8, 1823, and is a son of John W. and Nancy (Swisher) Cox, natives of Pennsylvania, who came to this State in 1824, and settled in this county, about three miles from Martinsville;  they reared a family of five- two sons and three daughters.  James Cox, after reaching manhood, in conjunction with G. W. Clapper, purchased his father's interest in a mill, and managed the same until 1868, when Mr. Clapper retired, and he conducted the same alone.  In 1846, he married Sarah Rogers, a union cemented by six children, John W., William (deceased), Mattie, Emma, Sarah (deceased), and Aquilla B.;  Mrs. Cox died in December, 1863, a member of the Christian Church.  May 5, 1864, Mr. Cox wedded Elizabeth J. Hoyt, and to this marriage were bestowed three children--Edgar G., Hattie and Minnie Belle.  In 1868, his mill at High Rock having burned, Mr. Cox moved to Martinsville, and in company with another, erected a steam flouring mill, which was continued for nine years.  In November, 1882, he removed to Hall, and purchased a half interest in the steam saw and flouring mill, to which he has since devoted his time and energy.  Mr. Cox is an esteemed and worthy citizen, and he and wife are members of the Christian Church.

REV. JESSE BROOKS JOHNSON was born in this county, January 20, 1847, and is a son of Brooks S. and Anna B. (Green) Johnson, natives of North Carolina, who came to this section about 1835, and settled in Adams Township, where Mrs. Johnson ended her life in 1858;  Mr. Johnson is still living, aged eighty-five years.  Rev. Mr. Johnson was reared at home and is the youngest son of eight children.  He early acquired a good education, and afterward taught for some time, instructing in penmanship for five years. He grew up in the Methodist Episcopal Church, and being a gifted speaker, naturally leaned toward the ministry;  he afterward, however, affiliated with the Christian Church in 1867, and was ordained Elder in 1870, in which denomination he has continued to preach efficiently.  October 20, 1859, he married Mary E., daughter of Allen R. Seaton, and to this union have been bestowed six children, Lieusely, Charles S., Melvin A., Carrie, Ernest F. and Oliver.  The mother of this family came to her death March 29, 1882, aged forty-three years, a member of the Christian Church.  Mr. Johnson removed to his farm in 1871, comprising 107 acres;  but he has never neglected the service of God and the welfare of his fellow-man.  During 1883, he was pastor of Mount Pleasant Church at Hall.  He is a noted temperance orator and Sabbath school worker, an up-right man, a persuasive preacher, and belongs to the Masonic fraternity.

HOWARD C. JONES, M.D., was born in Hendricks County, Ind., May 4, 1853, and is the only child of William W. and Mary Ann (Poe) Jones, both natives of Kentucky, but married in this State.  Dr. Jones was reared at home, in Clayton, and afterward worked three years in a woolen factory, but attended the common schools a due time. After preparing himself, he entered, in 1874, the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Indianapolis, from which he graduated in 1877, as Doctor of Medicine.  His first experience was at Pittsboro, whence he removed to Marion County, and became  physician to the Marion County Asylum.  December 23, 1877, he married at Clayton, Julia A., daughter of Robert S. and Elizabeth Pearson, to which union were bestowed three children, Rilus, Pearl (deceased) and Irwin.  Two months succeeding his marriage, he moved to Hall, in this county, and began the practice of his profession, taking rank immediately as a practitioner.  He is an old-school regular physician, and enjoys the confidence of his fellow-citizens, having graduated No. 1 in a class of thirty-four.  Dr. Jones is a Republican and an esteemed citizen.

WILLIAM KIRK is a native of Shelby County, Ind., having been born February 7, 1830, and his parents having been William H. and Elizabeth (Depew) Kirk, both of whom were natives of Kentucky, who came to this State in the early days, and in 1838 to this county.  They were blessed with five sons and four daughters.  Our subject was reared at home and on a farm, obtained some rudimental education from the common schools, and began life for himself when twenty-two years of age.  In 1851, he married, in this county, Mary E., daughter of Nathan Dow, and to them were bestowed five children--Nathan H. (deceased), David B., Daniel R., Martha Alice, and Nancy Elizabeth.  Mr. Kirk is owner of 217 acres of good farming land in two  tracts, both in this township, and most of which is in fair improvement and cultivation. Out of this property, he received but sparse assistance from his father's estate.  Mr. Kirk is a practical farmer, a successful man in business, a Republican in politics, and he and his wife are strict members of the Christian Church.

SMITH LAMBERTEW, farmer, is a native of Owen County, Ind.;  was born September 25,1841, his parents being Joseph and Mary Ann (Hart) Labertew,  natives of Ohio, who came to Indiana in an early day and settled  near Gosport, where Joseph Labertew died in 1846.  Mrs. Lebertew is still living, and is about  eighty years of age.  Smith worked on the farm and attended school as a boy, receiving a mediocre education.  September,1861, he enlisted in the Thirty-third Indiana Regiment, became a veteran, and served in all nearly four years.  He was detailed for hospital duty in 1863, and continued therein until the end.  March 18, 1865, he was captured at Blackwater, S. C., and held eight days.  Soon after, he was sent to Tennessee from Resaca with wounded men, and returned to hospital duty at Resaca.  November 22, 1866, he married Asenath Lewallen, from which union has resulted one child, Carl A.  Mr. Labertew came to this township in 1870, settled where he now lives on 120 acres of well-improved land, the earning of his own industry and care.  Mr. Labertew is a Master Mason;  in politics a Republican, and, in company with his wife, a member of the Christian Church.

ROBERT W. MCNAUGHT is a native of Morgan County, Ind., was born November 28, 1837, and is the youngest son of Robert W. and Martha McNaught;  the former a native of Scotland, the latter of Pennsylvania, who removed to this State and settled in Owen County, and still later in this county, where they finished their lives, Mr. McNaught in December, 1847, aged forty-eight, and Mrs. McNaught in November, 1866, aged fifty-five years, having reared four sons and four daughters.
Our subject was reared in Martinsville, attended the usual schools, and afterward the University at Indianapolis;  and afterward married Mary C. Garrison, with an issue of eight children in all, Ada L., Lora B., Emma A., Olive M., Cora, Joseph W., Frank and Walter.  Mr. McNaught served as Justice of the Peace in 1865,  and was re-elected in 1869.  In the spring of 1871, he moved to Hall, and there engaged in the harness trade, but is now a journeyman.  Mary 25, 1862, he enlisted in Company H, Seventieth Indiana Volunteers, served three years, was engaged in the battles of Resaca, Lost Mountain, Rich Mountain, Peach Tree Creek, Marietta, Atlanta and others.  Mr. McNaught is a Republican, and he and wife are members of the Christian Church.

JOHN WESLEY MINTON was given birth in Knox County, Tenn., November 19, 1833, his parents being Ebenezer and Dorcas (Baldwin) Minton, the former a native of Virginia, the latter of Tennessee, who moved to this State in 1849;  settled in Clark County for two years, and thence came to this township, where Mr. Minton  died in 1877, aged sixty-nine;  Mrs. Minton yet lives, aged seventy-five years;  they had five sons and five daughters.  Our subject grew up on the home farm, and when of age went to Illinois for five years, attending and teaching school;  but the greater part of his education was obtained after his marriage, which took place September 20, 1856, in Illinois, the bride being Miss Mary, daughter of Joseph Norton, now of Kansas.  The result of this union was twelve children--Maria Elizabeth, Mary Alice, Emma (deceased), Ida May, Delilah, Rufus Carlton, Elbert, "Cuty" (deceased), Dollie, Lida, Clyda and Lillie.  In 1858, Mr. Minton moved to Kansas, where he farmed for twelve years.  September 10, 1861, he enlisted in Company G, Seventh Kansas Cavalry, became Second Sergeant, served three years;  re-enlisted in 1864.  He was at the battles of Corinth, Inka, Pilot Knob and many skirmishes.  In 1872, he returned to Indiana and settled in Wilbur, where he engaged in mercantile business, and was made Postmaster in 1871;  he was appointed Trustee in 1874, and elected in 1876, and served in all five years.  Mr. Minton has a farm of 217 acres, which he owns and manages.  He is an active Republican and a progressive citizen.

NATHAN NICHOLAS, farmer, is a native of Washington County, Ky., was born September 16, 1804, and is a son of Nathan and Nancy (Gresham) Nicholas,  natives respectively of North Carolina and Virginia, who emigrated to Orange County, Ind., in 1815, where Mr. Nicholas died.  Our subject settled in this county in 1830, near Mooresville, and in this township in 1848.  Mr. Nicholas has been twice married, first, October 23, 1828, to Sarah Kearby, a native of Kentucky, with an issue of seven children, Edward C. (deceased), Nancy M., Giles H., Elizabeth B., Sophia Jane, Mary and Thomas K. (deceased).  The mother of these died in 1843, and  November 1, 1853, Mr. Nicholas married Mrs. Lena Hancock, by which marriage succeeded five children, Delphina (deceased), Samuel, Loretta F., Lena Finetta (deceased) and Arlita T.  Mr. Nicholas is owner of eighty acres of excellent and improved land, which possession is wholly his own acquirement.  He is in political matters a Republican, and he and wife are communicants of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

ALLEN R. SEATON was born in Jefferson County, Ky., April 28, 1808, a son of George and Sarah (Drake) Seaton, natives respectively of Virginia and Kentucky, who dated back to the Scots and Britons.  They were married in Kentucky in 1803, and raised a family of ten.  Allen grew to manhood with his parents and remained with them until he was twenty-two years old.  August 11, 1830, he married Sarah Pound, a union which produced nine children, John P., George W., Charles, Richard (deceased), Mary E. (deceased), James
P., Sarah J., Grafton W. and Apphia M. (deceased).  In 1832, he came to and settled on a tract of land entered by his father in this township.  His sons Charles and Grafton are prominent physicians of this county, the former being now Treasurer thereof.  Mrs. Seaton died at Hall January 31,1884, aged seventy-two years.  She, with her husband, joined the Christian Church in 1835.  Mr. Seaton owns a comfortable eighty acre farm given to him by his father.  He was once a Whig, but is now a Republican.

GRAFTON W. SEATON, M. D., was born March 5, 1846, in this county, and is a  son of Allen R. Seaton.  He was bred to the farm, attended public schools, and also the N. W. C. University for two terms.  In 1868, he commenced the study of medicine with his brother Charles, a physician at Hall, and at the end of a year attended Rush College, Chicago;  then, later, the Louisville Medical College, from which he graduated in1870, and began practice with his brother the same year.  From 1878 to 1881, he was in the drug business.  March 2, 1871, he wedded Sarah E. Welman, with a bestowal of four children--Harry A., Guy, Edna E. and Nellie.  Dr. Seaton is a Freemason, and he and wife are members of the Christian Church.

ELI P. SHAKE, farmer, was born in Gregg Township, Morgan County, Ind., May 21, 1841, and is the second child in a family of five children born to George W. and Catherine H. (Pruitt) Shake, the former a native of Jefferson, and the latter of Oldham County, Ky.  They were of German-Scotch and German descent respectively.  George W. Shake
received his early education in his native State, and while yet a young man, in 1835, came with his parents to Morgan County, Ind.  He was married at the age of eighteen,
and soon after bought 160 acres of wild land in Gregg Township, where he subsequently improved the farm upon which he still resides.  He was once elected Commissioner of Morgan County, but did not qualify.  He is an active member of the Masonic fraternity. Eli P. Shake , the subject, received a limited common school education in youth, and was employed on his father's farm until he was twenty-one years old.  He then leased forty acres of wild land in Gregg Township for six years, which he cleared.  In the fall of 1870, he removed to Bates County, Mo., where he settled on ninety acres of wild prairie land deeded to him by his father.  Here he built a house, improved a farm and resided three years.  He then sold this place and returned to Gregg Township, Morgan Co., Ind., where he bought eighty acres of the old homestead, upon which he resided until the fall of 1883, when he sold out and came to Adams Township, same county, where he bought the farm of eighty acres upon which he now resides.  He was married, July 24, 1862, to Miss Mary E. Yager, a native of Gregg Township, Morgan Co., Ind., and a daughter of William W. and Sarah A. (Hinkle) Yager, who were among the pioneers of Gregg Township. Three children have blessed their union, of whom two sons, William W. and Howard J. are yet living.  Both Mr. Shake and wife are and have been from early youth devoted and consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In politics, Mr. Shake is a Democrat.

JACOB ALONZO SHIPLEY first saw the light of this world on March  4, 1846, in Jefferson Township, Morgan County, being the second son of Tolbert and Sarah (McInturf) Shipley, natives of Tennessee and Ohio respectively;  they were pioneers of this county, having lived in this township for forty-five years. Jacob Alonzo Shipley spent his boyhood in farm work and pursuing education in the schools.  August 15, 1861, he enlisted in Company A, Thirty-third Indiana Volunteer Regiment, and served four years, having become a veteran in February, 1864.  He was made a Corporal, and was captured at Thompson's Station, held thirty-three days and exchanged.  After the war, he engaged in saw milling for five years in Jefferson Township, after which he resumed farming, which he has since followed.  October 19, 1871, he married Victoria Rouseau, from which union descended five children--Bertie (deceased), Percy (deceased), Myrtie, Jesse and Hazel.  Mr. Shipley was elected Trustee of this township in 1882, and still serves as such.  He is a Republican in politics, a member of Blankenship Post, G. A. R., and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

BARTHOLOMEW SMITH, farmer, was born in Owen County, Ind., February 5, 1837, and is the eldest of seven children born to Marcus M. and Malinda (Pierson) Smith, the former of whom was a native of Muskingum County, Ohio, and the latter of Bourbon County, Ky.  They were of English and Irish descent respectively.  Marcus M. Smith received only a very limited education in youth, at the rude log school-housed of the Indiana frontier;  but by his own exertions, and by the light of a shellbark fire afterward acquired a fair, practical business education and became of the best historians in the country.  After his father's death, in the fall of 1824, the family removed to Owen County, Ind., and settled on some 600 acres of land on the White River, which his father had entered some years before.  Here young Marcus learned the miller's trade, which he followed for several years, and here he was afterward married.  Later he bought a farm in Owen County, where he still resides, and is engaged in farming and stock-raising.  Both himself and wife are members of the Christian Church, in which church he has been a minister for more than thirty years. The father of Mrs. Malinda Smith, Bartholomew Pierson, served under Gen. William H. Harrison at the battle of Tippecanoe and in that General's other campaigns against  the Indians, and his father, Shadrach Pierson, was a veteran of the Revolutionary war, having served seven years, or through the entire struggle.  Bartholomew Smith received such an education in youth as could be obtained at the primitive log school-houses of the frontier, and was employed on his father's farm until he was twenty-one years old.  He was then employed as a salesman for the Turner Scale Company for about two years.  In September, 1861, he enlisted in the Tenth Indiana Battery, and served with the same in all its marches and engagements until the close of the war, and was mustered out at Indianapolis in June, 1865.  He participated in the battles of Stone River, Chattanooga, Lookout Mountain, Missionary Ridge, and the Atlanta campaign, as well as many other lesser engagements.  At Dallas, Ga., he was severely
injured by the recoil of a piece of artillery, resulting in partial paralysis.  For two years after his return from the army, he was engaged in railroading.  He then bought a farm in Ray Township, Morgan Co., Ind., where he resided until October, 1876, when he sold and bought another in Gregg Township, where he still resides.  He was married, September 21, 1861, to Miss Mary J. Hancock, a native of Franklin County, Ky.  Five children, two sons and three daughters, have blessed their union, all of whom are yet living.  Mr. Smith is a member of Eminence Lodge, No. 440, A., F. & A. M., and is also a member of the G. A. R.  In politics, he is a Republican, and is a respected citizen of Gregg Township.

ELIJAH SMITH, farmer, is a native of Owen County, Ind., was born February 23, 1829, and is the second son and third child of Daniel and Elizabeth (Crum) Smith. He was brought up and grew to manhood on the home farm, after he had had some  advantages from the schools of the time.  August 24, 1852, he married, in this township, Mary Corder, by which union they had a family of two children, Lafayette C. and James H.  Mr. Smith came to this county in company with his parents, and here he has made a home, which embraces eighty acres of well-improved and cultivated land, the most of which has been gained by his own unaided exertions and exacting frugality.  By political preference, he is a Democrat, and by contemporary judgment a good citizen.  Mr. and Mrs. Smith are members of the Christian Church.

HENRY B. SMITH, farmer, is a native of Owen County, Ind., was born February 11, 1827, his parents being Daniel and Elizabeth (Crum) Smith, natives of Virginia, who emigrated to Kentucky, later to Indiana in 1825, and settled in Owen County in 1831, whence they moved to this township, made a home on entered land, and there remained until 1875, at which time they removed to Clayton, where Mr. Smith closed his life in 1879, aged about seventy-nine.  After this event, the mother returned to the homestead, now occupied by our subject, and ended her life in 1881, aged seventy-six years;  they had a family of ten children.  Henry B. Smith was reared on the homestead farm, and at  seasons attended the subscription schools.  December 2, 1847, he married Jane Carder,  a native of Kentucky, to which union have been given nine children, Vernilla A., Ruth J., Sanders, Theodore R., Harvey M., Stephen, Henry K., Eva J. (deceased) and  Martha R.  Mr. Smith is the owner of a good farm of 160 acres, and has a desirable home, most of which he has acquired by his own efforts.  He is a Democrat, and he and wife are members of  the Christian Church.

WILLIAM H. SMITH, dealer in general merchandise, Herbemont, Ind., was born in this township November 5, 1846, and is the sixth of the twelve children of Allen and Elizabeth (Brown) Smith, natives of Kentucky and of English descent.  William H. Smith was reared to farming, and received his education at the common schools. December 6, 1866, he married Mollie E, daughter of Thomas Dickson, and became the father of seven children, Ida B., Thomas A., Esta D., Lura E., Iva (deceased), Maggie and Herman.  In 1874, Mr. Smith embarked in mercantile business at Herbemont, where he has done a thriving business.  He is a Master Mason, and has acted as Past Master.  In 1882, he purchased an interest in a saw-mill, with which he has done fairly.  He is owner of a good and improved farm of sixty acres, which will always furnish a fine home and revenue.  He is a Democrat in politics, and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

JOHN B. STALEY was born in Randolph County, N. C., February 21, 1821, and is the third son of the thirteen children of Eli and Mary (Rhodes) Staley;  the former born January 6, 1794, the latter January 4, 1796, married in 1813, and both natives of North Carolina, who moved to this State in 1832, and settled in Adams Township on Government land, where they resided for thirty years, and reared a family of nine daughters and three sons.  John B. was reared at home and to farming, but without education. July 13, 1840, in Paris, Ill., he married Sarah Brown, a native of Virginia, as a result of which contract were born twelve children, an infant (deceased), George T. (deceased), Mary (deceased), Elizabeth (deceased), Lucinda, Matilda (deceased), Margaret, Malinda J. (deceased), Martha Ann (deceased), Delphina (deceased), Sarah Emily and Luella.  Mr. Staley is owner of a fine farm of 160 acres near the town of Hall, which, after eleven years' residence, he has rented and retired to the town.  He has been liberal to his children in matters of education, and is an exemplary man generally. He is Democratic in politics, and he and wife are members of the Christian Church.

WALTER C. STOUT was born in Randolph County, N. C., October 11, 1828, and is the second son of Allen and Sarah (Brewer) Stout, who moved to this State in 1831, and settled in Monroe Township, where they resided five years;  then removed to Hendricks County, and entered 320 acres.  There Mr. Stout died in 1841, aged forty-six years, and Mrs. Stout died at Monrovia in 1852, aged fifty-two years.  Walter C. Stout passed his boyhood on the home farm, and in school going.  In 1844, he began learning brick-masonry, at which he worked
fourteen years.  May 16, 1848, he married Candace Williams, a union productive of eight children, Elvina E., Howard, John Wesley, Crittenden C., Mary, Byron, Thomas and Ira.  The mother of these children died December 8, 1864, when about thirty-eight years old, a member of the M. E. Church.  February 17, 1868, he married Mrs. Dartula Wolf;  this marriage gave being to four children, Joseph, Cordelia, Leotis and Ollie (deceased).  In 1844, Mr. Stout began studying law, which he afterward gave up and went to farming.  In 1852, he was engaged in mercantile business at Hall.  In 1856-58, he was Deputy Sheriff of this county under Dick Williams.  In 1867, he resumed his legal studies, and is at present
Deputy Prosecutor of this township.  In 1870, he located in this township,  since when he has lived at Wilbur.  He is a prominent stump speaker, and a  radical Republican.

AARON L. WILHITE is a native of Oldham County, Ky., was born June 16, 1824, and is a son of Lamech and Mary (Koebler) Wilhite, natives of Virginia, who moved first to Kentucky, and later, in 1836, to Indiana, where they settled on a tract of Government land in this township;  thence they moved to Monrovia, where they closed their lives, he at about seventy-four, and she at about seventy-nine years of age-- and they had a family of seven sons and seven daughters.  Aaron worked for his father and attended school until he reached the age of twenty-two.  November 19, 1846, in Hendricks County, he married Rebecca Wiltz, which union was cemented by five children, Alexander, Sarah (deceased), Mattie, Elnora and Lafayette.  Mr. Wilhite is agreeably located on a fine farm, comprising ninety-nine acres, cultivated and improved.  He is a liberal, charitable man, a strong temperance advocate, a practical farmer and an honored citizen.  One of his sons and one of his daughters hold positions as teachers.  He and wife are communicants of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which Mr. Wilhite is a Steward.

JACOB A. WILHITE is a native of this township, was born June 10, 1849, and is the eldest child of Elijah and Jane (Pruitt) Wilhite, natives of Kentucky, who came to this State in early life with their parents;  they married in this township and reared a  family of seven children.  Jacob A. Wilhite was reared to farming, and educated at the common schools.  April 7, 1870, he married Miss Maggie, daughter of John B. Staley, and to them were bestowed four children--Clara, Minnie, Bertha and Sarah. Mr. Wilhite is a practical, experienced and successful farmer, who manages his improved and adorned farm of 160 acres, which is situated about one and a half miles west of the town of Hall.  Mr. Wilhite is a member of the fraternity of Odd Fellows, and a Republican in political choice.  He and wife are consistent and useful members of the Christian Church.

THOMAS WILHITE, the seventh son of the fifteen children born to Noah and Polly (Williams) Wilhite, came into the world at Oldham County, Ky., October 9, 1831. His parents moved to this State from Kentucky in 1835, and here resided until death. Thomas was reared to farming in this county, receiving by times some education from the common schools.  After his majority, in March, 1852, he married Miss Candace Wilson, which union was united by the birth of four children--Perry, Mary, John A. and Grant (deceased).  The mother of these children died March, 1871, and five years thereafter Mr. Wilhite married Eleanor Kirns, and to this alliance was vouchsafed one child, Ernest.  For some years, Mr. Wilhite has been engaged in the saw and flouring mill enterprise, which he has managed very encouragingly;  previous to this departure, his business was farming and stock-raising.  He is a Republican in politics, and an  earnest temperance advocate.  He is prominent in good and benevolent works, an honored citizen, and he and wife are members of the Christian Church.

THOMAS J. WILHITE was born in what is now this township March 25, 1840, and is the fifth child of Joshua and Virginia A. (Brown) Wilhite, natives of Virginia, who married in Oldham County, Ky., whence they came to this State in 1831, and settled in this county, where they remained until 1858;  then removed to Kansas, where they died, the father in 1867, aged sixty-two, the mother in 1879, aged seventy-four years, having reared a family of six children.  Thomas J. was bred to farming, and attended the schools of the time.   July 6, 1861, he enlisted in Company B, Twenty-first Indiana Heavy Artillery, in which he served actively until January, 1866, being then honorably discharged.  He took part in the battles of Baton Rouge, Port Hudson, Port Morgan, Spanish Fort, Moblile and many skirmishes.  Returning home on veteran furlough March 15,1864, he married Miss Candace, daughter of
John H. Phillips.  This union was strengthened by seven children--Minnie C., Clara I., Gertrude, Frank E., Beryl E., Tennie E. and an infant (deceased).  In 1873,
Mr. Wilhite was elected Justice of the Peace;  moved to Plainfield in 1876, and to this county in 1879;  farmed one year;  embarked in the harness business at Monrovia, and came to Hall in 1881, where he engaged in the harness business for himself.  In politics, he is a Greenbacker.  Mr. Wilhite has considerable property, for which he has labored actively and honorably.  He and wife belong to the Christian
Church.

JOHN WILLIAMS was born in Shelby County, Ky., August 19, 1801, and is a son of John and Sarah (Kirkendall) Williams, natives of Pennsylvania and of German descent. He grew to manhood on a farm, and acquired a rudimentary education at the Kentucky subscription schools.  February 1, 1821, he married Elizabeth Pruitt, and to them were  born nine children, Zerilda (deceased), Tabitha (deceased), Candace (deceased), Perlina (deceased), John B., William, Matilda, Rice (deceased), and Levi (deceased).
The mother of these children died March 11, 1845, aged about forty-eight.  August 7, 1848, Mr. Williams wedded Elizabeth K. Whittaker, from which marriage resulted one child, Mary M.  This mother also died (October 6, 1883), aged seventy-two. Mr. Whittaker (Williams?)came to this State in 1830, and located on Government land.  He now owns a good farm of 300 acres.

WILLIAM WILLIAMS was born June 20, 1832, and is a son of John Williams. He was reared a farmer, and March 25,1854, married Martha A., daughter of Samuel Wilhite, deceased, to which marriage were allotted five children, Delphina, Olive E., Charles, Calvin and Elvin.  January, 1861, at Austin, Mo., he enlisted in Company B, Fourteenth Missouri State Guard;  served fourteen months, and in a skirmish suffered a broken hip.  In 1863, he returned to and settled in this State. Mr. Williams has more than once been engaged with the James and Younger outlaws.  He resides with his father, and is owner of eighty acres of superior land. He is a brave, courageous man, and feared, but respected.

JOHN A. WILSON is a native of this county, was born August 28, 1843, and is  a son of John F. and Hannah (Pruitt) Wilson, natives of Kentucky.  John A. Wilson obtained an ordinary education and remained at home until he was of age.  July 20, 1863, he enlisted in Company L, Twenty-first Regiment, First Heavy Artillery, served until February, 1866, and was discharged honorably.  After long and active service his only casualty was an injury to his little finger.  After the war, he engaged in farming, where he has since made his home.  November 22, 1866, he married in Cumberland County, Ill., Mary M., daughter of John Williams, and a native of this township.  To this union were bestowed six children, Otis E., Olin M., Ira E., Myrtie, Myron L. and Chauncy L.  Mr. Wilson manages his home farm of fifty- five acres, a good, improved and valuable property.  Except some little time passed in Missouri and Kansas, Mr. Wilson has made his home in these parts.  He is Republican in political principles, and he and wife are consistent and honorary members  of the Christian Church.

JEFFERSON WOODEN was born in Jefferson County, Ky., May 27, 1821, and is the eldest son of Robert M. and Malinda Wooden, natives of Kentucky, and respectively of Irish and Scotch descent.  Jefferson was brought up on a farm and educated in the subscription schools of Owen County, Ind., where his parents had located, and where they ended their days.  He left his father's home when he was twenty years of age, and January 14,1844, married Mary E. Wilson, and to them were bestowed four children--Leannor, Thena, John R. and Malinda B. (deceased). Mr. Wooden is located on 165 acres of improved land, making a very comfortable home, nearly all  of which is his own acquirement.  He is a Republican, was elected County Assessor in 1872, and is an esteemed, quiet and useful citizen.  Mr. and  Mrs. Wooden are members of the Missionary Baptist Church, and greatly regard-
ed in their church and community.


Return To The Main Index Page

Return To The Bio Index Page