JACKSON TOWNSHIP AND
MORGANTOWN BIOS

TRANSCRIBED FROM THE BOOK
"COUNTIES OF MORGAN, MONROE & BROWN, INDIANA.
HISTORICAL AND BIOGRAPHICAL."



HUGH ADAMS, pioneer farmer and stock raiser, was born April 11, 1808, in Henry County, Ky., and is the eleventh of the fourteen children of David and Polly (Kephart) Adams, the former a native of Ireland, the latter of Germany, and respectively of Irish and German descent. David Adams came to this county about 1830, remained awhile and returned to Kentucky,' then came back, and here finished his course of life. Hugh Adams was brought up to farmings and located in this township in 1832, which has since been his residence, ho living now upon his original entry of 120 acres, to which he has added 180, making a large farm, well improved and stocked. When he was eighteen years old, he became an apprentice to the blacksmithing trade, which he set up in Morgantown and continued five years. He afterward engaged in f arming, working alternately on the land and in his shop; but after 1869, he devoted himself entirely to his farm and stock raising. Mr. Adams has been twice married, first, January 8,1829, with Miss Ruth Paton, who bore ten children, Charity, David, Mary J., Elizabeth, Christina, Ruth (deceased), C. H., Amy, Sarah (deceased), and an infant deceased. His second marriage was with Mr. Eunice Kephart, August 26, 1875. Mr. Adams is a Democrat, and gave his first vote for Gen. Jackson. His career has been honorable and his life a useful one. He and wife are members of the Baptist Church.

JACOB ADAMS, farmer and stock- raiser, was born in this township July 24, 1829, and is the eldest of the six children of Henry and Amy (Kephart) Adams, both natives of Kentucky, and of Irish and German descent respectively, who came to and settled in this vicinity in 1828. Jacob attended school some time during the winters, and worked on the farm in other seasons until he was twenty five years of age, when he began the effort of taking care of himself, as a help to which he received 100 acres of rich land as a parental reward. April 13, 1854, he wedded Miss Mary Lake, a native of Virginia, which marriage gave being to six children, George A., Rebecca A. (deceased), Henry A., John J. 0., Hendricks Y. and infant. Mr. Adams is an esteemed member of the Masonic fraternity, of the Knights of Honor, and also of the Democratic party, and has served his township seven years as Trustee and four years as Assessor. He is an advocate of all good and progressive measures, a well-to-do farmer and able manager. Mrs. Adams is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church.

SAMUEL T. ADAMS, farmer and stock raiser, is a native of this township, was born May 19,1848, and is the fourth of the eight children . of Henry and Nancy (Slusser) Adams. Samuel T. Adams received a common school education, and was reared to the venerable business of farming. He worked for his parents until he was twenty five years of age, at which period he began life on his own account, his father presenting him with eighty acres of good land, on which he has erected buildings and added other improvements, making a good home and a desirable property. May 25, 1873, he married Miss Jemima Kephart, a native of Owen County, and to which union five children have been bestowed, Nancy O., deceased; William H.; Charity J., deceased; Ida M., deceased; and an infant unnamed. Mr. Adams is an energetic Democrat, a rational and charitable gentleman, and a prosperous farmer and stock breeder. Mr. and Mrs. Adams are highly respected members of their community.

JOSEPH ADAMS, stock raiser and farmer, is a native of this township, was born March 22, 1852, and is the eighth of the twelve children of Henry and Nancy (Sluser) Adams, the former a native of Kentucky, the latter of Virginia, and of English and German extraction respectively. Joseph Adams was reared to the farming profession, and received a fair education. He is the owner of eighty acres of good land; his father, who is now residing with him in his age, having given to each of his children some assistance. Recently Mr. Adams has added forty acres to the paternal gift, making a valuable property and a desirable home. He is a Democrat by political preference, and a liberal and regarded citizen. Thus far he has been successful in the battle for independence, and, with his good management and bright foresight he must become one of the prosperous farmers of his section.

JOHN ADAMS, farmer and stock raiser, was born December 14,1834, in this township, and is the second of the fourteen children of Jacob and Julia A. (Shell) Adams, the former a native of Kentucky, the latter of East Tennessee, and of Irish and German descent respectively. Jacob Adams came hither about 1830, married, went back to Kentucky for about two years, when he returned to this county and reared a family. In 1862, he was elected County Treasurer; he is now a resident of Kansas. John Adams gave his boyhood to the labor of the farm, during which he obtained about three months schooling each year; but he qualified himself by self study, and has taught two terms of school. November 20, 1856, he married Miss Ann Lake, a native of this county, which union was followed by ten children, eight of whom were named Leroy, Joseph S., Jacob (deceased), Aviary A., "William K., Amanda C, Elizabeth and George H. Mr. Adams has managed his business successfully, now having two good farms, and dealing somewhat in stock. In politics, he has always been a Democrat, and was elected Township Trustee in 1866, which office he held for three terms. Mr. Adams is a liberal citizen, an advocate of public education, and a member of the Knights of Honor. Mrs. Adams is an esteemed member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

GEN. WILL A. ADAMS (deceased) was born near Greenville, E. Tenn., October 24, 1839, and was the eldest of the family of David B. and Desdemona (Orto) Adams, natives of Tennessee, and of Scotch descent, who moved to Brown County, Ind., in 1849, where our subject was educated. During the war—1861—he enlisted in Company C, Twenty second Indiana Volunteers, at which time he was Clerk of the Circuit Court of Brown County. He was made Second Lieutenant, and, from efficiency and valor, promoted again and again, until at the close of the war he was Colonel of the One Hundred and Forty fifth Indiana Regiment, and, when discharged, a Brigadier General. He was a brave, honorable, worthy officer, and an affable and respected gentleman. After the war, he engaged in merchandising in Brown County, in which, as in all his efforts, he was signally successful, and happy in obtaining the confidence of the community. Mr. Adams married, July 9, 1861, Miss Mary EL. Butler, of Belmont County, Ohio, with an issue of four children—, Amanda (born September 19, 1865), Ada L. (born May 1, 1868, died January 12, 1869), Edwin B. (born January 19, 1870, died August 6, 1876) and Emma D. (born August 11, 1872). In the midst of his usefulness, and in all his well earned glory, the great ravager, consumption, laid untimely hands upon him, and carried him through death to greater victory than any earth had given him. He was a true member of the Masonic fraternity, and also of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His funeral was large, and his body was interred in the peerless ceremony of Freemasonry. In politics, he was Republican. He left his widow well cared for, and provided for his children a fair beginning.

EZRA H. BRIGGS, stock raiser and farmer, was born October 8, 1823, in Franklin County, Mass., and is the ninth of the thirteen children born to Simeon and Elizabeth (Saddler) Briggs, natives of Massachusetts and of English extraction. Ezra was reared a farmer, and remained in his native county until he was twenty six years old, at which time he came to this State and settled in Dearborn County, where he was engaged at farming for several years. In 1863, he came to Morgan County, which has since been his home. Mr. Briggs is a member of the Republican party, by which he is very highly regarded, and was elected in the spring of 1872 Assessor of this township. He is a man of liberal views, of generous character and a prosperous farmer and raiser of stock.

GEORGE E. BRONSON was born in Summit County, Ohio, January 25, 1823. He is a deaf mute, in consequence of early inflammation of the drums of the ears. He graduated at the Deaf and Dumb Institute at Columbus, Ohio, where he remained five years, and later learned the printing trade in Cleveland; but, becoming discouraged, he went to work for the Recorder of Lenawee County, Mich.; moved thence to Detroit and was in the Auditor's office, where he remained three months; thence he went to Milwaukee and thence to Iowa City, where he became a legislative clerk, and afterward worked in the Recorder's office at St. Louis. He was later appointed Principal of the Deaf and Dumb Institute at Nashville, Tenn., where he remained until the war began, after which he purchased 200 acres of land, and made a trial of farming. July 14, 1852, he married Lucy C. Blacknall, of Tennessee, the result of which union was ten children, Josephine Alice, Charles Egbert, Benjamin Franklin, Emma Dora, Abraham Lincoln, Fannie Lisslie, Clarence Ashley, Silas Ailing, Mildred Maggie and Ida Lucy. After the death of his first wife, Mr. Bronson wedded, in Logansport, Ind., Annie Barnes; this marriage took place May 5, 1874, and was followed by five children: 'Effie Nellie, Oassie Mabel, Jessie Edna, Myrtle Maud and. George Eg­bert, Jr. In 1868, he sold his Tennessee property and moved to Morgan-town, Ind. His father bequeathed him $15,000 and his uncle a like amount.

W. H. BUTLER, M. D., prominent physician and surgeon of Mor-gantown, was born January 15, 1846, in Jennings County, Ind., and is the fourth of the six children of George and Eliza (Stott) Butler, natives of Kentucky, and of Irish and English descent respectively. They removed to Bartholomew County, Ind., where our subject received some education, worked on the farm, and grew to manhood, having sufficient money to pay for three years' tuition at Hartsville. December 4, 1863, he enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Twentieth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, served at the battles of Dalton, Marietta, Ken-esaw Mountain, Atlanta, Columbia, Franklin, Nashville and Kingston. 'He was discharged January 8, 1866, after which he prepared himself for teaching; taught two terms; became salesman in a drug store, and began the study of medicine under Dr. McLeod, of Barnesville, which he continued two years, then attended lectures at the Indiana Medical Institute, at Indianapolis, and graduated in 1879, having previously practiced at Middlebury, where he continued for a time. May 31, 1877, he married Miss Jennie Horner, with a result of two children, Chloe A. and George J. In 1880, Dr. Butler came to Morgantown, in which place he has established a good and growing practice. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and an active Republican. Mrs. Butler is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

MOSES T. COFFEY, stock raiser and farmer, is a native of this county, was born May 24, 1831, and is the fifth of the ten children of Lewis and Delilah (Turpin) Coffey, natives of Kentucky, and respectively of English and Irish descent. Lewis Coffey emigrated to this county in 1828; entered land, which he afterward cleared and sold, then engaged in flat boating to New Orleans and died in the spring of 1844. Moses was reared on the paternal farm, and received the rudiments of an education from subscription schools. After the death of his father, the care of the family descended upon him, and to which he gave the wages earned by monthly labor; yet now, as a result of his economy and application, he owns a good farm of fifty acres, containing stock, and being generally well improved. March 11, 1852, he married Miss Lucinda Renner, a native of Ohio, born March 24, 1834, a union which has been prolific in thirteen children, only eight of whom received names, George W., Mary J., John D., Philip L., Barbara A., Eliza C, Martha P. and "William T. Mr. Coffey is a radical and active Democrat, by which party he was elected Justice of the Peace in 1874, for a term of four years. He is a liberal gentleman and his wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

F. M. COLEMAN, retired farmer, was born April 10, 1823, in the State of Ohio, and is the fifth of the eight children of Jacob and Elizabeth (Thomas) Coleman, the former a native of Virginia, the latter of Pennsylvania, and respectively of German and English descent. F. M. Coleman was reared a farmer, and received but sixteen days' schooling; yet he has made himself a fair scholar by application. When he was sixteen years old, his parents moved to Johnson County, Ind., where he remained until 1880, engaged in farming, at which time he sold his place and retired to Morgantown. He began business when of age; was always successful and industrious, and when young worked at wagon-mak­ing, coopering and blacksmithing, when not employed on his farm. He has also dealt largely in and been a shipper of stock. May 14, 1845, he married Miss Mary A. Woolard, who died August, 6, 1877, having borne seven children, Eliza J., Jacob (deceased), Lavica, Marandall., Ophelia, Margaret (deceased) and Marion. His second wife was Miss Ada Wright, a graduate of Lebanon College, Ohio, the ceremony taking place December 24, 1881. This lady died in less than one year. His third wife is Rebecca Stephens, a native of Putnam County, Ind., and also a graduate of Lebanon College, which ceremony was performed May 17, 1883. Mr. Coleman is an active member of the Masonic and Odd Fellow fraternities. He is a liberal and respected gentleman, and votes with the Democratic party.

JAMES S. COLEMAN  (deceased), was born in Hartford, Conn., November 29, 1848, and was the third of the four children of Jesse O. and Salina M. (Gardner) Coleman, both natives of Connecticut, who moved to Columbus, Ind., in 1850, and thence to Edinburg. James S. received a good school education, and early evinced an aptitude for business, for when but twelve years old he bought and sold tax titles on speculation, and when thirteen assisted his father in his store. In 1863, he enlisted in Company I, Ninety third Indiana Volunteers, and served through the war, being discharged November 29, 1865. In the following spring, he entered into partnership with his father in the stove, tin and hardware business. In 1872, he purchased his father's interest, and afterward he sustained several heavy losses, but soon resumed. He was also owner of a saw and planing mill, and was one of the most enterprising and successful men of his time. May 10, 1870, he married Miss Harriet Lake, with an issue of five children, Jesse, deceased; James O., born June 15, 1874; Cora E., born September 8, 1877; Walter Z., born October 8, 1879; and Cecil C, born July 5, 1882. Mrs. Coleman was born March 17, 1851. Mr. Coleman died January 9, 1883. He was an earnest member of the order of Odd Fellows, an active laborer for the Republican party, and a lamented citizen. Mr. Coleman left his family in comfortable circumstances, with several farms and a good town property

.ROBERT C. DAVIS, merchant at Mahalasville, was born December 18, 1833, in Hancock County, W. Va., and is the eldest of the family of Enoch and Nancy (Cunningham) Davis, natives of West Virginia, and respectively of Welsh and Irish descent Robert, in company with his parents, moved to Washington County, Penn., where he attended the high school and acquired a good education. He early showed a tact for business, and when seventeen engaged as traveling salesman, which he followed some years, and then peddled on his own account. In 1862, be and parents moved to Georgetown, Brown County, where he continued in business until 1877; during this trip he lost his goods by the sinking of the boat transporting them. January 1, 1856, he married Miss Louisa H. Ritchey, of Ohio, with the following issue: John C, William W. and James W. (twins), Ella M., Eva E., Nancy J., Robert, Charley C, Edgar and Lela. While in Ohio, Mr. Davis served two terms as Trustee. He is Postmaster, railroad agent and express agent; carries a large stock of goods, and is an upright and efficient business man. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the Knights of Honor. Mr. and Mrs. Davis are members of the Presbyterian Church.

DAVID S. DODSON, blacksmith and wagon maker at Mahalasville, is a native of Hardin County, Ky.; was born August 2, 1834, and is a son of John B. and Catharine (Ament) Dodson, the former a native of Kentucky, the latter of Holland, and of English and German extraction respectively. The subject of this sketch received a good common school education; was reared a farmer, and remained with his parents until his twenty fifth year, at which age he commenced learning his trade, which he has since almost constantly followed, besides having served nearly four years in the regular army. In the fall of 1862, he began business for himself at his present location. The spring of 1868, he married Miss Sarah E. Helton, a native of Morgan County, Ind., who died after having borne one child, Judiah K. (deceased). Mrs. Dodson was a member of the M. P. Church. Mr. Dodson is a member of the Masonic fraternity, the L O. O. F. and the United Order of Honor. He is an enthusiastic Democrat, by which party he was elected Justice of the Peace in 1878, and again in the spring of 1882.

CAPT. PETER FESLER, Justice of the Peace and cabinet-maker at Morgantown, is a native of Botetourt County, Va.., was born April 27, 1836, and is the third of the family of John and Rebecca (Bickner) Fesler, natives of Virginia and of German extraction, who came to this county in 1838, and remained until their deaths. Peter Fesler received ,a plain education, worked on the farm, and when eighteen years old settled to learn carpentering, which he afterward followed. April, 1861, he enlisted for three months in Company K, Seventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry; was in the first engagement of the war at Philippi, Va.. After this term he re-enlisted in Company G, Twenty seventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry; was made First Lieutenant and afterward Captain; served three years, and was in all the battles of the Potomac division. After his service expired, he was retained and given command of Company E, Seventieth Indiana Regiment, and so served until the end, being discharged at Washington, D. C. On returning to peace, he resumed his trade, and in 1880 began business for himself. December 31, 1869, he married Miss Emma Collett, of Johnson County, Ind., to which union have followed three children, Leo El., Mayo R. and Luna A. Mr. Fes­ler is an ardent Republican, and was made Justice of the Peace in 1882. He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

WILLIAM THOMAS GIBSON, merchant at Morgantown, was born March 8, 1862, in Greene County, Tenn., and is the second of the nine children of Charles and Sarah E. (Kelton) Gibson, the former a native of Tennessee, the latter of Virginia, and both of English descent, who first moved to Franklin, Ind.; remained two years, and then to Nashville, Ind., where they now reside. William Thomas remained at home until he was twenty years of age, at which period he came to Morgantown and engaged in his present enterprise, first as a grocery trade, to which he has added dry goods and notions, of which he has always a full line and carries a $3,000 stock. He has a good practical education and is a first class business man, having begun business with $10 cash capital. September 21, 1881, he married Miss Amanda, daughter of Col. W. S. Adams (deceased), a long resident of Morgantown. Mr. Gibson is a member of the Masonic fraternity; inclined to the Republican party politically, and is a promising young merchant. Mrs. Gibson is a member of the Methodist. Episcopal Church.

REUBEN C. GRIFFITH, M. D., physician and surgeon at Morgantown, was born December 28, 1845, in the identical dwelling in which he now resides, and is the thirteenth of the fourteen children of Reuben and Lovina (Shell) Griffith, natives of Sullivan County, E. Tenn. They were early settlers of this township, and here ended their days. Reuben C. Griffith was reared in Morgantown, and went to school and worked on the farm until he was eighteen years of age. February, 1864, he became a soldier of his country; was in the range of battles from Chattanooga to Atlanta; captured at Jonesboro, September 1, 1864; confined at Andersonville, Florence and Charleston, in all six months, and released February 26, 1865. On account of disability, he received a furlough, which was renewed until his discharge, June, 1865. He then attended school until 1868, when he studied medicine under Dr. Johnson, of Martinsville, for two years, and attended lectures and graduated at the University of Louisville in 1870, soon after which he opened an office at Morgantown; practiced until 1875; then attended lectures in New York, receiving there the ad eundem degree. He then resumed his practice, with honor and renown. August 14, 1872, he married Miss Minerva D. Prosser (sister of the present Auditor), and his union has been favored with three children , Harry D., Bessie L. and Delia M. Dr. Griffith is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and his wife of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

JAMES HAMILTON, stock raiser and farmer, is a native of Wayne County, Ky., was born January 13, 1815, and is the fourth of the eleven children of John and Elender (Collett) Hamilton, the former a native of North Carolina, the latter of South Carolina, and of Scotch Irish and English extraction, who came to and settled in this township in 1825. John Hamilton was a pioneer, and made the third entry of land. He, with the assistance of his family, improved a good farm from these primitive wilds, and here closed his useful life. James received a frontier education, and was reared to assist his father, with whom he remained until his twenty second year; then receiving from his sire the sum of $50, with which to begin his own sustaining; and with this he entered forty acres, which has grown to be 200 of choice and valuable land, well improved, all the outcome of labor and frugality. October 20, 1836, he wedded Miss Teresa Dorothy, of Kentucky birth, and this marriage was cemented by five children, Elender, Lucinda, William R., Jesse (deceased) and Louisa (deceased). Mr. Hamilton is a stanch Republican; a liberal and benevolent gentleman, now rearing the three children of his youngest daughter. He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

JOHN F. HAMILTON, farmer and stock raiser, was born April 12, 1833, in this county, and is the fourth of the seven children of James H. and Hannah (Francis) Hamilton, natives of Kentucky, and respectively of- Irish and German descent. J ames H. Hamilton moved to Johnson County, Ind., in 1829, remained two years, then moved to this township, where he died. He was one of the first settlers and, with the aid of his son John, made one of the best farms in the township. John F. Hamilton was bred a farmer, and afforded such education as the schools could give. After the death of his father, which took place in the winter of 1861, he took charge of the farm and remained with his mother until her death in 1881. He then purchased the homestead, containing 120 acres, to which he added forty, and has now a good farm, with many and valuable improvements. January 28, 1864, he married Miss Matilda Ferguson, born October 8, 1841, by which union they have become parents of  nine children, Lucy A., William F.   (deceased), Mary B., Admira M., James E., Ira W., Minnie, John E. and Clarence Tl. Mr. Hamilton is an able manager of his affairs and a prosperous, liberal gentleman. He and his wife are communicants of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

ABRAM B. HART, stock raiser and farmer, is a native of this township; was. born July 13, 1819, in, Sussex County, N. J., and is the third of four children born to Nathaniel and Mercy (Rose) Hart, natives of New Jersey, and respectively of English and Irish extraction. Abram was reared a farmer, and in 1841 came to this county, locating where he still resides. With the help of $1,300, he has succeeded in life, and owns a farm of 220 acres, 150 of which are under fine cultivation, with good orchard and many improvements. February 8, 1840, he married Miss Sarah A. Chipps, daughter of Morris and Margaret Chipps, of New Jersey, with a result of nine children, Mercy, Margaret A., Amos S., Mary (deceased), Aaron R. (deceased), Mahala E., John W., Sarah E. and Emma &L Mr. Hart is a practical and prosperous farmer, and a  life long Democrat, having given his first vote for Mr. Van Buren. He is a man of progressive ideas, and a model father and husband, and a very greatly esteemed citizen.

MATTHEW T. HANCOCK:, druggist at Morgantown, was born May 1, 1849, in Harrison County, Ind., and is the third of the seven children of Benjamin H and Margaret A. (Senssensney) Hancock, the former a native of Tennessee and of Irish, the latter of Virginia and of German descent, who now reside in Washington, in this State. Matthew was reared a farmer, and continued to labor as such until he was eighteen years of age, when he engaged as salesman at Bloomfield, and remained in that employment more than two years, afterward at Bowling Green, and then began business on his own account in Lancaster, Owen County, with a stock of drugs, and continued this two years. After disposing of his stock, he became a salesman for Robinson & Co., of Terre Haute, for one year. July, 1880, he came to Morgantown and engaged in his present enterprise, in which he has been signally successful. Mr. Hancock has always been a diligent student and a close observer. May 3, 1882, he married Miss Effie C. Johnson, of Spencer, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Hancock belongs to the Masonic fraternity. He has the promise of becoming a leading business man of his section, having begun business with but $50, and being now worth probably $5,000.

W. W. HELTON, farmer and stock raiser, was born October 25, 1807, in East Tennessee, and is the fifth of the eight children of Beecher and Susan (Winkler) Helton, natives of North Carolina, and respectively of  English and German extraction. After the death of his father, our subject moved with his mother to Kentucky, where he was reared on a farm. In 1828 he came to this county and entered the land on which he now resides, having once owned 310 acres in the county, and now has 190. For several years he followed the trade of a shoemaker. September 6, 1827, he married Miss Nancy Hale, of Tennessee, with an issue of ten children, James B., Eliza J., Julia A., Harriet L. (deceased), Sarah E. (deceased), Mary C, Nancy (deceased), Miranda (deceased), John W. and Susan C. Mr. Helton is a strong Democrat, having first voted for Gen. Jackson; he also took an active part in the late Grange movement. He is a worthy citizen, and has the blessed record of a well spent life. He and wife have been members for fifty years of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

JAMES HICKEY, stock raiser and farmer, is a native of Sullivan County, E. Tenn.; was born January 5, 1824, and is the eldest of the nine in family of John and Catherine (Shell) Hickey, the former a native of East Tennessee, and of English, the latter of Pennsylvania and of German descent, who emigrated to this township in 1843, and lived and died here. James Hickey received the rudiments of an education from the public schools, in the meantime working on the home farm and assisting his father at the trade of brick-laying. He continued to perform these duties until he was twenty four. In 1854, he commenced mercantile business at Morgantown, and was recognized as a successful and leading merchant until his retirement, November 1, 1883. He now resides on a snug and attractive farm of thirty five acres, cultivated and improved, and still deals largely and only in the purchase and disposition of timber. November 23, 1848, he married Miss Hulda Swain, which union was blessed by five children, George S. (deceased), John H. (deceased), Mary C., Elbert M., and Walter S. (deceased). Mr. Hick­ey is an old time member of the L O. O. F., an active Republican since the rebellion and a liberal and benevolent gentleman. He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

JAMES H. HICKMAN, stock raiser and farmer, is a native of Johnson County, Ind.; was born December 2, 1833, and is the fourth of the six children of James T. and Dorothy (Hamilton) Hickman, natives of Kentucky, and respectively of English and Irish descent, who came to this section of the State in 1832; afterward moved to near Morgantown, where he closed his life. James H. Hickman was reared to the business of farming. He began for himself on reaching manhood, and, although he received but $600 as an aid in the struggle of life, has accumulated 350 acres of fine land, in good cultivation and with many improvements. March 2, 1854, he married Miss Elender Hamilton, of Morgan County, which union has been crowned by six children, Theresa J., deceased; Louisa L; William H., deceased; Joseph P., James N. and Ira E.; they have also adopted a daughter, Louisa I. Donnell. Mr. Hickman is a Republican, and was an active member of the Grange organization. He is a liberal contributor to every good work, and an esteemed citizen. He and wife are efficient members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

JOHN S. HINE, stock raiser and farmer, was born in Lincoln County, N. C, January 3, 1836, and is the second child of John G. and Mary M. (Bolinger) Hine, both of whom were born in the " Old North State," and of German extraction. Our subject remained at home until lie was twenty eight years old; then began efforts for himself, and, without any assistance, has obtained a good home and farm, embracing sixty seven acres, well situated, drained, stocked, and containing various improvements. He was reared a farmer, working during summer and going to school during winter. August 27, 1863, he married Miss Marietta A. Prather, born November 10, 1844, in this State. This union gave issue to two children, David L., born February 22, 1866, and Jarvis E., deceased, March 30, 1872. Mr. Hine took an earnest part in the late Grange organization, and is an active Democrat, having given his first suffrage for Stephen A. Douglas. He is a genial, generous, enlightened and progressive citizen, also an advocate of public education. In 1882, he was elected Road Superintendent. Mr. and Mrs. Hine are communicants of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

OLIVER L. HINE, farmer and stock raiser, is a native of this county, was born November 22, 1846, and is the sixth of eleven children born to John G. and Mary M. (Bolinger) Hine, both natives of North Carolina, who came hither about 1837, at which early period the country was a wild, but of which they have made a desirable home and valuable property, comprising 302 acres- well situated and improved, with full amount of stock. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church. Oliver L. Hine is now managing his father's farm. He is a promising and energetic gentleman, a stanch Democrat and a member of the L O. O. F. Like his father, he is liberal in character and progressive in ideas, and is a useful and appreciated member of society.

HARRY JACKSON was born May 29, 1843, in Jefferson County, Ind., and is the fifth of the eight children of Samuel and Jane (Hillis) Jackson, the former a native of North Carolina, the latter of Indiana. Harry remained with his parents on the farm until he was sixteen years of age. when he began the struggle of life for himself, working by the month until August 12, 1862, when he enlisted in Company I, Seventieth Indiana Voluntary Infantry, serving in the battles of Dallas, Resaca, Marietta, Savannah, New Hope Church, Atlanta, Peach Tree Creek and Bentonville, where he was captured and sent to Libby Prison, being made to march 170 miles, and with but one meal in three days. He was held captive from February 1864, until the day before Mr. Lincoln's assassination, and was discharged June 30, 1865. After his return, he purchased a farm in Johnson County, and September 26, 1867, married Miss Ollie F. Miller, who died, leaving four children, Rosa, Guy, Roy and Eddie; she was a member of the Christian Church. His second wife was Miss Sarah A. Lake, whom he married February 27, 1880. Until the fall of that year, Mr. Jackson followed farming and buying and selling stock, but afterward came to Morgantown and engaged in the keeping of a bakery and butcher shop. Mr. Jackson is a Republican, and he and wife are members of the Christian Church.

GEORGE W. KEMP, farmer and stock raiser, was born December 9, 1849, in this county, and is the sixth of the nine children of James and Christina (McGowan) Kemp, natives of Kentucky, and respectively of English and German extraction. James Kemp was a son of John and Nancy Kemp, of North Carolina. He came to this county in 1826, where • our subject was educated to farm work, grew to manhood, and has ever remained. He continued at home until he was twenty three years of age, when he began business for himself, with no capital but a bold heart and a strong will. February 14, 1872, he married Mrs. Caroline (Norman) Hamilton, of this county, born March 3, 1844. This marriage was honored by three children, Rebecca J., Andrew J. and Sarah E. .Mr. Kemp has been reasonably successful in his efforts for independence. He has a farm of 165 acres, well located, cultivated and improved. He is an ardent Democrat, and socially an honorable and benevolent gentleman.    Mrs. Kemp is a member of the Separate Baptist Church.

SAMUEL KEMP, farmer and stock raiser, was born February 6, 1842, in this county, and is the eighth of the nine children of Samuel and Tabitha (Hicks) Kemp, both natives of Tennessee, and of English extraction. The subject of this sketch received a fair education, and was reared to the plow by his father, who located in this township about 1840, and where he died, having acquired 200 acres, which he sold to his son Samuel, who now cultivates 150 acres thereof.    February 9,1865, he married Miss Nancy J. Kent, a native of this county, which union has been cemented by four children, George (born November 29, 1865), Lewis (born May 23, 1868), David (born September 13, 1870), and Corda E. (born June 26, 1874). Mr. Kemp takes proper pride in bestowing education on his children, and is liberal and progressive in his character. He is a shrewd manager and a careful investigator, a good business man and a respected citizen. In political matters, Mr.. Kemp is a solid Democrat

JAMES KEPHART, stock raiser and farmer, was born in Henry County, Ky., July 17, 1823, and is the second of the family of William and Elizabeth (Herrel) Kephart, also natives of Kentucky, and of German and English extraction respectively. James was brought to Clark County, Ind., by his parents in 1824, where they lived two years; then removed to Johnson County and remained thirteen years, after which they came to this county, where James received some education and was taught farming. March 26, 1846, he married Miss Mary A. Moore, of Kentucky, who died a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and the mother of eight children, Serilda, Robert M., John "W., Christina, Clar-inda, Mahala (deceased) and two infants (deceased). Mr. Kephart received no assistance in his early struggles for home and land, but has now 160 acres, favorably located and well improved and cultivated, with many improvements. He is a stalwart Democrat, a good business manager and a respected citizen. His son is now managing his farm mechanically and he overseeing.

ISAAC KNIGHT, farmer and stock raiser, was born in Nansemond County, Va., October 16. 1830, and is the sixth of the eighteen children of Levin and Emily (Ellis) Knight, both natives of Virginia, and respectively of English and German extraction, who emigrated to Monroe County, Ind., in 1832, remained seven years, thence moved to Brown County for twelve years, and thence to Iowa. Isaac Knight was reared a farmer, with the rudiments of an education. In 1852, he came to Mor­gan County and settled in the village of Cope, where he engaged in business for two years, and afterward took up farming. He has been very successful in his efforts, being the owner of 120 acres of good and improved land, together with eight residences, a brick block and a public hall,  these the result of his ability and energy, he having received but $2,500 from his father-in-law's estate. May 14, 1854, he married Miss Emily Briant, which union has been favored with nine children, eight having lived to receive names, Benjamin, John W., William B., Annie M., Nettie, Alonzo, Clarence and Lulie. Mr. Knight is a member of the Masonic fraternity and an active Republican; he cast his first vote ;for Henry Clay. Mr. and Mrs. Knight are members of the Christian Church, having been such since they were seventeen years of age.

JOHN W. KNIGHT, school teacher and merchant at Morgantown, was born February 11, 1857, in this county, and is the second of the nine children of Isaac; and Emily (Briant) Knight, the former a native of Virginia, and the latter of this county. Our subject was reared a farmer, and obtained a good education, having been a one year student of Butler University. He remained at home until he was twenty two years of age, when ne began life for himself as a teacher, and as which he has been remarkably successful. September 1, 1883, he purchased the grocery stock of Abraham Wootten, and has since managed the business satisfactorily, having a salesman to attend to his store while engaged in teaching February 27,1879, he married Miss Lizzie Blackburn, of Brown County, Ind., which union has been favored with two children, Omar (born December 20,1880) and Otto M. (born December 14,1883). Mr. Knight is a successful man, and is in prospect of a large and increasing trade, being a good observer and a shrewd manager. He is a liberal Republican politically, and a generous and valued citizen. Mr. and Mrs. Knight are both members of the Christian Church.

JACOB T. LEACH, stock raiser and farmer, was born September 10, 1850, in Johnson County, Ind., and is the seventh of the eleven children of John A. and Abigail (Miller) Leach, both natives of Kentucky, and of Scotch and German extraction respectively. In 1853, these parents moved to this county and located in Green Township. Jacob T. Leach has made his home in this locality since the coming of his father, for whom he labored, except during school periods, for several years. When seventeen years old, he began the experiment of life for himself, and, being industrious and economical, saved the money to found his success. September 22, 1872, he married Miss Sarah L Adams, a native of this township. Five children have crowned this union, John H.., Joseph B., William K., Nancy B. and Robert T. (deceased). Mr. Leach is a practical farmer, an energetic worker, a liberal and respected citizen, and an active Democrat. He has made his own way with but little aid, although his wife received $2,000 from her parents as a reward of her fidelity to them.

OWEN LLOYD, stock raiser and farmer, is a native of Ireland; was born March 21, 1807, and is the seventh of the ten children of Owen and Margaret (Murdock) Lloyd, both natives of Ireland. Owen received a good ordinary education and was reared a farmer. His grandfather and a brother received from Oliver Cromwell a grant of 1.900 acres of land, and his father was a large land owner and extensive farmer. In 3834, our subject emigrated to these shores, settled in Cleveland, Ohio, for four years, and thereafter, in 1839, came to his present home and farm. To his original forty acres he added until he owned at one time 360 acres, most of which he has bestowed among his children. When quite a young man, Mr. Lloyd manifested a predilection for trading, in which he was generally successful, and is indebted to no one but himself for his progress and prosperity. April 7, 1838, he married Miss Sarah Coleman, a native of Ohio. To this union were bestowed nine children , Robert C. (deceased), Edwin (deceased), Owen, Davis (deceased). Clotilda, Alice, Francis C, Eliza, and an infant unnamed. Mr. Lloyd is a Democrat, and was twice elected Trustee of this township; he is also a benevolent and worthy citizen. Mr. Lloyd is a member of the Episcopal, and Mrs. Lloyd of the Missionary Baptist Church.

JOHN F. MAXWELL, liveryman at Morgantown, is a native of Butler County, Ohio; was born August 14, 1849, and is the third of the seven children of John K. and Ellen (McElwain) Maxwell, the former a native of Pennsylvania, the latter of New Jersey, who moved to Johnson County, Ind., in 1860. John F. Maxwell began the way of life for himself, when seventeen years of age, by taking charge of a woolen factory at Eminence, Ind., having formerly worked in such a place. This he continued for eighteen months, when he moved to Brownsburg and had charge of the weaving department for about three years; thence he went to Crawfordsville, and there had charge of a woolen factory for about six years,  and finally came to Morgantown and began his present enterprise, livery and stave-making. In 1883, he shipped about 3,500,000 staves.  Mr. Maxwell has. been twice married, first, to Miss Mary J. Gibson," who died after bearing two children, both of whom departed before getting names; second, to Miss Minerva J. Julian, who is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Maxwell is an energetic business man, an esteemed citizen and an active Democrat.

GEORGE M. MONTGOMERY, hardware merchant at Morgantown, is a native of Johnson County, Ind., and is the second child of his parents, Duncan and Li His (Holman) Montgomery, the former a native of Scotland, the latter of Indiana. Mr. Montgomery emigrated to America in 1832. George M. was born December 15, 1853; was reared a farmer, and worked thereat and attended school until he was sixteen years old, at which time he became a cripple, and thus incapacitated from farm labor, although he is owner of 137^ acres of excellent land, improved and cultivated. In the summer of, 1880, he moved to Morgan-town and purchased the hardware business of James S. Comer, which he has since managed successfully and satisfactorily. He carries a varied stock of about $3,500, which is increasing. October 17, 1876, he married Miss Mary E. Bass, and to them have been born two children, Arthur D. and Ivey M. Mr. Montgomery is a Liberal in politics, an upright and watchful merchant and a generally esteemed citizen.

CAPT. WILLIAM MOUNT, farmer and stock raiser, was born in Hamilton County, Ohio, October 25, 1827, and is the eldest of the four children of Obadiah B. and Gitty A. (Skillman) Mount, both natives of Ohio, who moved to Union County, Ind., about 1837, on the 2d of February of which year Mr. Mount departed this life. William Mount received a fair education from the common schools, and learned the ancient vocation of farming, which he followed until the summer of 1862; then, together with W. W. Wingett, raised Company G, of the Sixty ninth Regiment Indiana Volunteers, Mr. Mount being made First Lieutenant, but was acting Captain most of the time, that officer being on detached duty. He was in the following engagements: Richmond (Ky.), Arkansas Post, Thompson's Hill, Raymond, Baker's Creek, Black River Bridge, and with Gen. Grant at Vicksburg. After his regiment was transferred to Texas, he participated at the battle of Mobile, where he received a slight wrist wound and was mustered out, but discharged at Indianapolis in August, 1865. The war being over, he removed to Columbus, Ind., where he engaged in the grocery business for several years, when he sold the same, removed to Indianapolis, and was some time on the special police force; thence he removed to this county in 1879, where he has since resided on a good farm of 100 acres. December 1, 1847, he married Miss Eleanor Dare, with a result of one child, Edward F. (deceased).. Capt. Mount is an energetic Republican, a liberal, charitable gentleman, a shrewd man of business and a valued citizen. His mother resides with him, and is a member of the Presbyterian Church since girlhood.

JOSEPH H. NORMAN, farmer and stock raiser, was born in this township October 8. 1839, and is the sixth of the eight children of James and Sarah A. (Harrison) Norman, the former a native of North Carolina, the latter of Tennessee, and both of Irish descent. James Norman emigrated to this county in 1831; then returned to Tennessee for three years, when he came back to this county and finished his days; he was possessed of 320 acres of land.    His wife survives him and resides with the subject of this sketch. Joseph H. was reared a farmer, and has a good farm, embracing ninety six acres, well cultivated and with stock and improvements. March 28, -1861, he married Miss Ruth Kemp, a native of this county, which union has been fruitful of five children, George W., Robert C, Harriet V., Samuel A. and Edward. Mr. Norman received some aid in the beginning of his career, but has succeeded by means of his will and management He is a good husband, father and citizen, an unchangeable Democrat, and, with his wife, a valued member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

JOSEPH T. NORMAN, farmer and stock raiser, is a native of Over-ton County, Tenn.; was born October 1, 1823, and is the youngest of the twelve children of William and Mary (Kemp) Norman, natives of North Carolina and of English extraction. William Norman came to this county in the fall of 1830, where he entered land, and, with the assistance of his sons, made a very excellent farm, which continued to be his home until removed by death. He had been a soldier of the war of 1812. Joseph T. Norman was reared a farmer under his father, obtained a pioneer education and remained with his parents until he was about twenty two years of age, engaged in rail-making, log-rolling and clearing land. In 1844, he married Miss Betsey E. Williams, of North Carolina, who lived to bear eleven children, Caroline, Nancy, Sarah, Catherine, Jefferson, Joseph L., Frank P., George W., William (deceased), Rutha J. (deceased) and Thomas A. He next married, September 7, 1864, Mrs. Nancy R. Thomas, a native of Indiana, to which union were bestowed four children, Grant, Sheridan, Daniel W. and Sherman (deceased). Mr. Norman has been successful in his efforts toward independence, being possessed of 600 acres of land, much of which is improved, cultivated and stocked. He cast his first vote for James K. Polk, but adopted the Republican party as soon as born, and has adhered to it. He is a charitable, liberal citizen, and much esteemed.

JOHN J. NORMAN, farmer and stock raiser, is a native of this county; was born January 17, 1850, and is the fifth of the eleven children of Joseph T. and Elizabeth (Williams) Norman, the former a native of Tennessee, the latter of North Carolina and respectively of English and German extraction. John J. Norman was reared a farmer, received the rudiments of an education, and remained with his parents until he was twenty one years of age, at which time he began life for himself, receiving from his parents a horse and cow to begin with. May 26, 1870, he married Miss Emeline Lake, a native of this county, by which union succeeded two children, Delie (born February 17, 1871) and George W. (born April 18, 1874). Mr. Norman is now residing on the farm of his father. He is a Republican by political preference, a liberal gentleman and an esteemed citizen; he is likewise a practical farmer, whose success is due to his energy and wise management.

W. W. RAPER is a native of this county, was born August 28, 1861. and is the second of the family of nine children bestowed on Andrew J. and Julia A. (Helton) Raper, the former a native of Monroe County, Ind., the latter of this county, and both of English extraction. The subject of this sketch was reared to the ancient business of husbandry, and acquired some education from the common schools. He is now acting as overseer of the farm of his grandfather. Mr. Helton is an energetic, .industrious and promising young man, a practical farmer and an esteemed gentleman. In political preference, he is a member of the Democratic party.

HENRY RENNER, proprietor of a saw mill and grist mill at Mahalasville, also a farmer and stock raiser, was born January 15, 1828, in Wayne County, Ohio, and is the second child of Philip and Mary (Bidleman) Renner; the former a native of Pennsylvania, the latter of Ohio, and both of German extraction, who came to this section in 1839. Henry Renner was brought up to the farm and the school, thus acquiring some education and learning the farming vocation. By industry and frugality, he has acquired a good property, having a fine farm of 246 acres, much cultivated and variously improved; he is also in enjoyment of a liberal patronage in his mills and purchases grain largely. January 15, 1852, he married Miss Jane, a daughter of James and Mary A. Gibbs, to which union eight in family have been bestowed, Philip, Mary, Eliza E., James W., Martha A.. Louisa, Retta and Eddie. Mr. Renner is a gentleman of enterprise and liberality, an uncompromising Democrat and a worthy citizen. Mrs. Renner is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

GEORGE W. SKINNER, farmer, was born June 15, 1825, in Belmont County, Ohio, and is the fifth of the family of Philip and Hannah (Coon) Skinner; the former a native of Pennsylvania, the latter of "West Virginia, and both of German descent. George W. received only a rudimentary education, but has been a close student, thereby acquiring much practical knowledge. In 1844, he located in Morgantown, and after the death of his parents he received a small amount of means with which to begin life; he first purchased forty four and then forty acres of the homestead, and has dealt also in lumber and timber. June 29, 1846, he married Miss Partheny Lake, a native of Virginia, which union gave issue to ten children, William (deceased;, Mary, Elizabeth A. (deceased), Emma (deceased), Samuel, Ida (deceased). John A., Caleb and Barbara (twins, the latter deceased) and Burton. Mr. Skinner has been usually successful in his undertakings, having a clear perception and much executive capacity. He is a warm adherent of the Republican party, a stanch friend to humanity and a good citizen. He and wife belong to the Missionary Baptist Church.

IRA C. WILLAN, M. D., one of the leading physicians and surgeons of Morgantown, Ind., was born July 27, 1859, in Hart County, Ky., and is the third of the eight children of Dr. Elzy B. and Carrie R. (Murrey) Willan, natives of Kentucky, and of English extraction, who moved to Trafalgar, Johnson County, Ind. in 1861, where Ira grew to manhood, and, in his father's drug store, received an early medical training, having served as clerk for eighteen months therein. After receiving a good education at the schools, he entered on the study of medicine under  his father for two years, after which he attended two courses at the Indiana Medical College, department of Butler University, from which he graduated in the class of 1883, and with great honors. July 26, 1883, he opened a medical office at Morgantown, and has even now been successful in establishing himself with the people as a young practitioner of ability and promise. We predict for him a lucrative practice and general renown-

FREDERIC WILLIAMS (deceased) was born May 3, 1828, in North Carolina, and was the fourth of the eleven children of William and Catherine (Haase) Williams, also natives of North Carolina, and of Irish and German descent respectively. Frederic came to this county when quite young, which was his home until his decease, July 21,1882. He received his education from the „ pioneer schools, and was reared on a farm he settled in the forest, and, with some help from his father and rigid economy, accumulated sufficient to make his family comfortable. March 12, 1858, he married Miss Rutha J. Kemp, a native of this county, and to their union were bestowed eleven children, nine of whom lived to be named, George W. (born December 8, 1860), Aaron, (born November 22, 1861), John J. (born May 5, 1863), James W. (deceased), Andrew J. (born June 22, 1866), Robert E. L. (January 16, 1869), Fred­eric (born April 10, 1870), Nelson (born February 13,1872) and Cordelia (born May 1, 1874). Mr. Williams was possessed of about 200 acres of farm land, and was a man of energy and endurance toward the end of becoming independent. He was liberal, genial and esteemed. In political matters, he was an active Democrat


Return To The Main Index

Return To The Bio Index Page