Newton County, Indiana
cashier of the Discount and
Deposit Bank, of Kentland, is one of the substantial citizens of Newton
county, which he helped to organize and served as its first recorder of
deeds. He was born in Sussex county, England, September 18, 1828, and
is a son of John and Esther (Wood) Ade, both of whom were natives of
that same county. The father followed the occupation of a maltster in
England and with his family sailed for America, in June, 1840, landing
in New York after a long voyage of forty-five days. He possessed but
little of this world's goods, and he settled in Hamilton county, Ohio,
near Cincinnati, where he subsequently purchased a small farm and
resided on the same until the close of the civil war, when he sold out
and removed to Scott county, Iowa, and bought a small farm near
Davenport, where he died in the fiftieth year of his marriage. He was
the only member of the family to come to this country, and was an
honest, industrious man, winning the confidence and high regard of all
with whom he came in contact. His wife survived him but a few months,
when she passed away at Davenport, Iowa. Both Mr. and Mrs. Ade were
devout members of the Baptist church. The following mention is made of
their children: John is the subject of this review. William resides in
Davenport and learned the carpenter's trade, but since i860 he has been
in the railway mail service. He is married and has seven children.
Henry was the first to be born in the United States. He married, and
followed farming near Davenport, Iowa, until his death. Samuel died in
Iowa. Joseph, the youngest child, was born in Hamilton county, Ohio,
and served as a soldier in the civil war, in the Sixth Ohio, Volunteer
Infantry. He married, and engaged in farming in Scott county, Iowa,
where he now lives.
Ade, the immediate subject of
this mention, attended the district schools in his youth and learned
the rudiments of farming, but at the age of eighteen he took up the
blacksmith trade, at which he worked about four years. After his
marriage, in 1851, he had charge of a toll-gate near Cincinnati,
working in that capacity until 1853, when he came to Morocco, Jasper
county, and for two years conducted a general store for Ayers &
Company, afterward becoming the village blacksmith of that place. In
1860 Newton county was organized, and Mr. Ade was made his party's
candidate for recorder of deeds and was elected, he being the only
successful candidate on the
Republican ticket. Removing to Kentland, he fulfilled the duties of his
office for four years and was then, in 1864, elected county auditor, in
which capacity he also served four years. At the expiration of his term
he took up farming, traded in real estate and was also in the grain
business with C. B. Cone and Elmer McCray, and in 1872 he entered the
banking house of Mr. Cone, at Kentland, as cashier.
1875 Mr. Ade became associated
with Greenberry W. McCray and E. Littell Urmston and they purchased the
bank of C. B. Cone, which they have since conducted, the firm name
being Ade, McCray & Company. Mr. Ade has been its cashier, and
during the past twenty-three years has but seldom been absent from his
desk. The Discount and Deposit Bank, of Kentland, is the oldest bank in
Newton county; it is a sound financial institution and does a larger
business than any other concern of a similar nature in the county.
May 20, 1851, Mr. Ade was united
in marriage to Miss Adaline Bush, who was born in Hamilton county,
Ohio, August 8, 1833, a daughter of Isaac and Margaret (Adair) Bush.
Isaac Bush was born in New Jersey and was a farmer and hotel-keeper.
Mrs. Bush was born in Fayette county, Indiana, on the present site of
Connersville, and was the first white child born in that county. Mr.
and Mrs. Ade became the parents of seven children Anna Eliza,
born April 18, 1852, near Cincinnati, Ohio, married John W. Randall, of
Kentland. Mary Alice, born January 19, 1856, married John G. Davis and
resides at Plymouth. Mr. Davis was born in Miami county, Ohio, March
24, 1854, and educated at Pleasant Hill, Ohio. In January, 1867, he
became editor and publisher of the Chronicle, at Pleasant Hill, which
he conducted for a year, and in 1868 came to Newton county and engaged
in the nursery business and in farming. In March, 1873, he became
deputy in the circuit-court clerk's office and in 1878 he was elected
circuit clerk and re-elected
in 1882. He was married to Miss Ade January 19, 1876, and they have two
sons,William Harry and George A. William H. Ade was born August 3,
1859, and is now (1899) county treasurer of Newton county. Emma was
born January 23, 1861, and died November 28, 1865. Joseph, was born
September 23, 1862, and is now in the railway mail service on the Fort
Wayne Railroad. He was in the wreck that occurred near Shreves, Ohio,
September 21, 1892. He was the only survivor of five postal clerks that
were caught in that terrible disaster, and the other four were burned
to ashes! George Ade was born February 9, 1866, and obtained his early
education in the public schools of Kentland, later attending Purdue
University, at Lafayette, from which he was graduated with the class of
1887. In early life he developed a taste for literary work, and his
first effort to appear in print was entitled " A Basket of Potatoes,"
which was written while being."
kept after school " to write an essay. After obtaining his diploma Mr.
Ade accepted a position as reporter on the Lafayette Call. While at
Purdue his classmate and chum was John McCutcheon, who subsequently was
the celebrated artist of the Chicago Record, and who assisted Mr. Ade
in getting a place on the same paper as a reporter. His ability as a
descriptive writer soon becoming recognized, and in 1893 he was given
the special work of preparing " Stories of the Streets and of the
Town," which were illustrated by his friend McCutcheon. Through this
work both these young men have won a national reputation. Mr. Ade has
made two trips to Europe, and on each occasion has written for the
Record a description of his travels, in a most entertaining manner.
Ella M. Ade was born October 23, 1867, and became the wife of W. T.
McCray, of whom a sketch appears elsewhere in this work.
Ade proudly points to the fact
that he has voted the Republican ticket from the organization of the
party, and besides the office mentioned he served for six years as a
member of the school board at Kentland. He is a Royal Arch Mason and is
past master of Newton Lodge, No. 361, F. & A. M., while he has been
for over forty years a member of the Christian church
RECHER, M. D.
Henry Recher, M. D., of
Morocco, Newton county, is a leading member of the medical profession,
president of the Citizens' Bank of Morocco, an enterprising business
man and a substantial factor in the development of the material
interests of his community. He is of German ancestry, but his first
American forefathers settled in this country in colonial times. His
paternal grandfather was a native of Maryland, and in the early years
of the present century emigrated to Ohio, settling near Dayton. He was
independent financially, as he brought eight thousand dollars with him,
and he was soon recognized as a leading factor in the development of
his part of the state, building mills and distilleries, and carrying on
a» freighting business with teams and wagons between Cincinnati
and Dayton. In every business line he was successful. He lived to the
age of three-score years and ten. He had eight sons
and two daughters. One daughter died unmarried and
the other became the wife of Rev.
David Winters, D. D., who was a noted divine. He performed more
marriage ceremonies than any other clergyman in the state. Of the eight
sons, Peter was a farmer, near Day¬ton; Elias, a farmer and
capitalist; Joseph, a farmer; Fred, Jacob and John died in early life;
and Lewis, the youngest, was the father of our subject. He was born in
Montgomery county, in 1816, and was about ten years of age when his
father died. He was reared a farmer, and in 1839 married Nancy Whitmer.
He tilled the soil in Ohio until 1866, when he emigrated to Indiana,
settling upon a tract of land near Francesville, where he pursued
farming and stock raising. His death occurred in 1889. He was a
kind-hearted, liberal man, never had a lawsuit in his life, and always
observed the golden rule. He brought up his children in the principles
of industry, economy and probity, accumulated a competency, and set a
good example of citizenship. His widow is living in Morocco. They had
six children, namely: Martha J., born near Dayton, Ohio, in 1845,
married David Ridenour, an iron-worker, and resides at Galva, Illinois;
James D., unmarried, is engaged in the lumber trade in Texas; Lewis S.
is the partner of our subject; Lawson H. is the subject proper of this
sketch; and two died in early life. The parents were members of the
German Reformed church.
H. Recher was born in
Montgomery county, Ohio, near Dayton, September 19, 1856, came with the
family to Indiana in 1866, and here assisted on the home farm and
attended school at Francesville. Early in life he learned the value of
time and was not afraid to work. At the early age of seventeen he began
teaching public school, and continued in that profession three terms in
the graded schools of Francesville; and while teaching he also studied
medicine under the professional guidance of Drs. Robert Mattingly and
D. J. Loring; then, entering the medical department of the University
of Michigan, he completed the prescribed course there, and was
graduated with the degree of M. D. in 1879, being a member of the first
class to take the extended course of that thorough institution of
learning. To begin the practice of his chosen profession, he first
located at Medaryville, this state. In 1882 he came to Morocco, where
he soon had a large and lucrative practice. Being, however, also an
able business man, as well as physician, he saw, in his extensive rides
over the country, a great opportunity of improving the vast acreage of
wet land existing within the bounds of his travel. After much thought
devoted to the problem of the best manner of draining and reducing to
cultivation this extended waste, he decided upon the tile system; and,
accordingly, in 1886, he associated himself with A. D. Peck, and built
the first tile manufactory in the vicinity of Morocco. This
institution, however, was soon afterward destroyed by fire; but the
proprietors rebuilt, and successfully conducted their business for two
years, when they sold out.
When the railroad was completed to Mount Ayr, Dr. Recher united in
partnership with Samuel Wilson and established a drug business at that
place, to be under the immediate personal supervision of Mr. Wilson,
and this continued for three years. In 1890 the Doctor associated
himself in business partnership with Ralph S. Paxton, under the firm
name of Recher, Paxton & Company, and organized the Citizens' Bank
of Morocco, which they managed, meanwhile continuing to carry on the
drug business. A year later Lewis S. Recher purchased the interest of
Mr. Paxton, and the firm style became Recher Brothers, bankers and
druggists, Lewis S. being cashier of the bank.
Dr. Recher has not confined all
his time and attention to his private affairs, but has also been a
public servant, and as such no man has ever been more faithful to his
trust. When the town of Morocco was incorporated the Doctor was chosen
its first treasurer. Subsequently he served five years as trustee of
Beaver township, being elected as a Democrat in a strong Republican
township. During his term of office in this relation the first two
miles of gravel road was built, new roads laid out, drainage ditches
constructed and many other improvements made or inaugurated, all to the
entire satisfaction of the tax-payers, as all the work was done
economically and honestly. The Doctor at present is a member of the
school board. In his social relations he is past master of Morocco
Lodge, No. 372, F. & A. M. and in religious matters he is one of
the original members of the Christian church at this place.
Recher has been married twice.
First, December 29, 1882, he was united with Lizzie Conner, who died in
1887, leaving no children. In 1890 the Doctor was united in matrimony
with Laura Pratt, M, D., a daughter of Dr. Benjamin W. and Jane M.
(Bean) Pratt. She was born at Johnstown, Ohio, August 21, 1856, and was
educated at Johnstown high school, and attended Columbus Medical
College, from which institution she was duly graduated with the degree
of M. D. After graduating at the Columbus Medical College she took a
special course of study in New York city. She practiced her profession
in Goodland, Indiana, till her marriage to Dr. Recher. This happy
couple have one daughter, Freida, born July 18, 1892. The family have
one of the best homes in Newton county.
WILLIAM W. GILMAN
more than thirty years Hon. W. W.
Gilman has been numbered among the representative citizens of Newton
county, and has occupied various offices of distinction and importance.
He has ever honestly endeavored to keep the interests of the people
foremost in his mind, his actions being governed by his earnest
convictions of right and duty.
parents of our subject were Hiram
and Elizabeth (Farmer) Gilman, natives of Vermont and New York state,
respectively. His mother was a daughter of Eleazer Farmer, who owned
and operated a mill for many years in the Empire state, and later was
engaged in merchandising. He served in the capacity of justice of the
peace and was a man of high standing among his neighbors. Hiram Gilman,
whose ancestors were English, was a farmer by occupation. In 1863 he
removed from New York state to Illinois, and two years later settled in
Minnesota, where his death took place, in 1868. His widow lived many
years afterward, dying in 1895. Both were members of the Free-will
Baptist church. Their eldest child, Julia, is the wife of P. Potter. E.
T. , the second son, was a commissioned officer in the civil war, and
subsequently was the representative of several leading insurance
companies. His present home is in Washington, D. C. Eleazer, the
youngest son, is a resident of Minnesota, and Mary E. , the youngest
daughter, is the wife of Merritt Wiseman. Hon. W. W. Gilman was born in
Essex county, New York, September 4, 1834. He was but twelve years old
when the battle of life began for him in earnest, as he left home and
worked for small wages, which he turned over to his father. His mother,
who was a well educated lady, was of great assistance to the lad in his
studies, and when but seventeen he obtained a certificate to teach, and
was thus employed winters for many years. In 1856 he went to Minnesota,
where he pre-empted a farm, and made substantial improvements during
his seven years' residence there; but in 1863, with many other
settlers, he felt that it was best to abandon it all, as the Indians of
that region were on the war-path, carrying death and destruction
wherever they went. Going to Kankakee, Illinois, he bought a tract of
wild prairie land, which he improved and cultivated for five years.
Then, selling out, he came to Grant township, Newton county, and for
two years owned a farm two miles from Goodland, which place he disposed
of in 1870, since which time he has lived upon his present homestead,
adjoining the corporate limits of Goodland. The land was in a wild
condition, but by constant tillage and care it has been reduced to a
high state of fertility and productiveness.
first presidential ballot of Mr.
Gilman was cast for Abraham Lincoln, and for over thirty years he was
an active exponent of the principles of the Republican party. He
attended local and general conventions, and was well-known and highly
esteemed in his party throughout this state. In 1870 he was elected
trustee of Grant township, was re-elected upon the expiration of his
term, and in 1874 was honored by the position of clerk of the district
court of Newton county. In 1880 he was elected joint representative of
Newton and Jasper counties, and was re-elected in 1882. In 1890 he was
chosen to represent the people in the state senate, and served on the
finance and other important committees. During his entire public career
he acquitted himself with honor and distinction, winning the praise of
all concerned. During the last presidential campaign he arrayed himself
against those who favored the gold standard, and was nominated by the
"silver" Democrats and endorsed by the Populists for the legislature,
for the first time in his political life sustaining defeat.
Fraternally, he is identified with the Masonic order.
1854 Mr. Gilman married Miss
Cornelia Morse, who was born in Essex county, New York, in December,
1835. She came from an honored New England family and is related to
Professor Morse, the inventor of the telegraph. Her grandfather,
Absalom Morse, was a postmaster for years, and occupied other public
positions of trust. Mrs. Oilman is one of the six children of William
and Mary (Wright) Morse, the others being Absalom; Julia; Lora, Mrs. D.
Pascal; Jerusha, Mrs. W. Mills, and Judson. The parents were Baptists,
but Mrs. Oilman is a member of the Methodist church. To our subject and
wife the following named children were born: Minnie, Mrs. M.
Wertsbaugh; Merritt, who died in 1876, at the age of seventeen years;
Hiram, who died in 1873, when in his seventeenth year; William, a
farmer of this township; Fred, a banker of Goodland; Jesse, foreman of
an oil-mill an Chicago; Nellie, Mrs. B. Patton, of Bloomington,
Illinois; Jennie, wife of O. Mohney, of Goodland; and George, who is
unmarried and is now taking upon himself much of the responsibility of
the management of the old homestead. The whole family stands well in
the estimation of the people of this community, where they have lived
William Henry Burton.
A half century ago, some of the richest lands in Northern Newton
County, Indiana, could be bought for a trifling sum, and those who
invested largely in these swamp lands at that time, became what was
called "land poor." Modern systems of drainage have changed their
character and fortunate indeed are those who, as a heritage, have come
into possession of such land, incomparable for farming and
stockraising. William Henry Burton, one of Lake Township's substantial
men, owns a good farm of this fine land and has resided here ever since
returning from an honorable term of service as a soldier in the Civil
war. Mr. Burton is serving in his second term as recorder of Newton
William Henry Burton was born in Estell County, Kentucky, March 7,
1841, and is a son of William and Eliza (Walters) Burton, who reared
eight of their children to maturity, four of whom yet survive. William
Burton came from Kentucky to Kankakee County, Illinois, in 1855,
accompanied by his family, and later they moved to Paris, Illinois,
where both he and his wife died. He was a farmer all his life,
beginning poor but, through industry, becoming wealthy. He invested
largely in land in the northern part of Newton County, Indiana, from
which, during his lifetime he received no revenue.
William Henry Burton easily recalls the journey from the old home in
Kentucky to Illinois, and as he was then fourteen years old, was able
to give his father much assistance. He had some educational advantages,
first attending school held in a primitive log structure, and later a
more advanced school at Kankakee, where he was a pupil for several
terms. He was preparing for an agricultural life at the time that Civil
war began to threaten, and when it became a certainty he soon made up
his mind to participate in the struggle. On September 29, 1861, he
enlisted as a private in Company K, Fourth Illinois Cavalry, and after
three months spent in the instruction camp at Cairo, Illinois, his
regiment joined General Grant's army before Fort Henry. After its
reduction the Fourth took an active part in the capture of Fort
Donelson, and, continuing with Grant's army to Pittsburg Landing, was
engaged in the two days of battle at Shiloh. Mr. Burton during these
stirring events was ever at the post of duty and his valor was noticed
and during the second day's struggle at Shiloh, he was an orderly on
the staff of General Thomas, and was with this command until after the
reduction of Corinth.
During the nine months that followed, Mr. Burton was detailed for guard
duty, assisting in protecting the railroads from the attacks of the
Confederates on the line between Corinth and Memphis, and during the
last three months of this time served as orderly on the staff of
General Denver. After this Mr. Burton's regiment was encamped on Black
River, at the rear of Vicksburg, and in one of the innumerable
skirmishes in which he was a participant, Mr. Burton received a severe
gunshot wound, through the back of his neck, which knocked him from his
horse and otherwise disabled him. Although his was a hospital case he
objected to such service and secured permission to remain at
headquarters while convalescing, and just as soon as he was able he
reported for duty. During the next nine months he was engaged in the
dangerous occupation of scout, with headquarters at Natchez, and it was
while there that his term of enlistment expired. He returned to
Springfield, Illinois, where he was honorably discharged October 3,
1864, with the rank of sergeant.
Immediately afterward Mr. Burton came to Newton County and for the
first three years herded cattle on the wide range of swamp land his
father had bought years previously, after which, as conditions
improved, primarily through his own efforts, he embarked in farming and
stockraising and has continued here ever since and has been actively
identified with the material development of Lake Township.
On March 13, 1871, Mr. Burton was united in marriage with Miss Mary J.
Watson, who died after becoming the mother of six children, two of
whom, Niel W. and Emery M. are yet living. Mr. Burton was married a
second time, on February 24, 1889, to Miss Sophia Stankie, and they
have four children: Beulah L., Ora G., Calvin R. and Cecil L.
In politics Mr. Burton has always been affiliated with the republican
party and his personal standing has been so high that on numerous
occasions he has been elected to important public offices. For some
years he served as township supervisor and also as township trustee,
and at all times his sound judgment and advice founded on experience,
have been useful to his community. In 1910 Mr. Burton was elected
recorder of Newton County, and in 1914 was re-elected, at which time he
was the only republican official of Newton County, Indiana. Mr. Burton
is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic at Kentland, Indiana.
["Standard History of Jasper and Newton Counties, Indiana: An Authentic
Narrative of the Past, with an Extended Survey of Modern Developments
in the Progress of Town and Country" By Lewis H. Hamilton, William
Darroch; Published by Lewis Pub. Co., 1916 - Submitted by K. Torp]
Hon. Richard C. McCain, M. D.
For forty years the name of Dr. Richard C. McCain, of Kentland,
Indiana, has been as a household word in Newton County. With pride and
interest he has watched its wonderful development and, as physician,
business man and legislator, has been closely identified with its
history. He has been an important figure in the transition period that
brought about Newton County as it is today.
Richard C. McCain was born July 10, 1852, at Trenton, Missouri, and is
a son of Rev. Cornelius and Eliza Anne (Curry) McCain. Rev. Cornelius
McCain was born in Warren County, Ohio, of Scotch ancestry, and in
Scotland the name was spelled McKeon. He was a man of superior
education, was physically and mentally strong and his life work was
well done. As a minister in the Presbyterian Church he traveled about
considerably, mainly on the frontier of Missouri and Kansas, but later
in life he retired and died at Kentland, Indiana, where, at one time he
was in charge of a church. He married Eliza Anne Curry, who was born at
Crawfordsville, Indiana, and six children were born to them, two of
these yet surviving, Richard C. and his sister.
Very often the family of a minister has no settled home for a time and
thus it was that young Richard C. acquired a knowledge of numerous
localities while obtaining his early education. During the early part
of the Civil war he was with his parents in Missouri, and witnessed
some of the border warfare of that period. His father was a graduate of
Hanover College, in Southern Indiana, hence he became a student there
and after completing the course began the study of medicine under Dr.
A. H. Shaffer, who still resides at Huntington, Indiana, being now in
his eighty-fifth year.
From Doctor Shaffer's preceptorship, Doctor McCain entered the medical
department of the University of Michigan, attending lectures for two
terms, and subsequently one term in the old Louisville Medical College,
Kentucky, from which he was graduated in March, 1875. For three months
he followed his profession at Darlington, Indiana, but in the fall of
1875 came to Kentland, then a small place, and here Doctor McCain has
maintained his home ever since, becoming one of the foremost physicians
and leading citizens of Newton County. Many well known residents of the
present day were assisted into the world through his ministrations and
afterward, through his medical care have kept in the path of health.
Everything pertaining to the early days in a section in which one
prefers to live permanently, must possess interest and to secure
reliable knowledge, outside of statistics, one may profitably listen as
the old family doctor for a wide section of country, visualizes the
past. In a settling community the physician is cognizant of every
public movement, very often being the prime originator of the same. His
profession leads him behind the closed doors of family life, and not
seldom is he the father confessor and adviser as well as the potent
healer. Doctor McCain can very vividly recall his long drives over
almost impassable roads, in rain, sleet
and snow, in both darkness and daylight, making as swift progress as
possible although hampered by conditions little understood by those who
have present day privileges in every part of Newton County. On one
particular day, January 23, 1882, he awakened to find the whole country
side covered with ice and so slippery that horseback riding even was
not to be thought of. Perhaps every physician facing such a test, would
not have been as conscientious as Doctor McCain, who, notwithstanding
the great physical effort required, covered a radius of twenty-five
miles and visited and comforted every one of his patients.
Upon the evening of the above strenuous day, Doctor McCain was united
in marriage with Miss Gertrude E. Test, a daughter of Thaddeus and
Sallie (Myers) Test, and a granddaughter of Judge Charles Test, well
known pioneer people of White County, Indiana. The father of Mrs.
McCain died when she was three years old. To Doctor and Mrs. McCain
twelve children were born.
Since 1883 Doctor McCain has been interested also in the drug business
at Kentland, Indiana. For many years he has been an important factor in
the republican party in the state, and in 1905 he was elected to the
state senate, representing for four years the counties of Newton,
Jasper and White, and demonstrated on many occasions while in the
general assembly, the wisdom of submitting the solving of important
problems that would result in the formulating of new laws, to men of
scientific training and experience.
Ever since becoming a resident of Kentland Doctor McCain has assumed
his share of public responsibility when called on, has served as health
officer and was a member of the school board. He is identified with the
Masons and the Knights of Pythias in Kentland. With his family he
belongs to the Presbyterian Church.
["Standard History of Jasper and Newton Counties, Indiana: An Authentic
Narrative of the Past, with an Extended Survey of Modern Developments
in the Progress of Town and Country" By Lewis H. Hamilton, William
Darroch; Published by Lewis Pub. Co., 1916 - Submitted by K. Torp]