The first dwelling in the county was erected by Thomas
Parker, in the spring of 1814, on Nolan's Fork, west of Arba.
The first town laid out was Winchester in November 1818
The first house in Winchester was built in the spring of 1819. It was a was a round, log-cabin, one story "scrutched down" with clapboard roof and stick and clay chimney. It stood on Inlot No. 9, North Front, and was owned and occupied for many years by Martin Comer.
The first child born in White River is thought to be Fanny (Diggs) Hill, daughter of William Diggs Jr., (now "Old Billy Diggs", living in Iowa), wife of Mathew Hill, of Jericho; she was born September 11, 1817.
The first Sheriff was David Wright, appointed by Governor Jennings to organize the county in 1818.
The first county election was held in August of 1818.
The first officers elected were Wm. Edwards, John Wright, Associate Judges; Charles Conway, Clerk and Recorder; David Wright, Sheriff; Solomon Wright, Coroner; Eli Overman, Benjamin Cox, John James, Commissioners.
The first Commissioners' Court was held in August, 1818.
The first Circuit.Court was held at the house of William Way, October 12, 1818, by Associate Judges Edwards and Wright.
The first attorney admitted to practice law in Randolph County Circuit Court was James Rariden, who was also appointed first Prosecuting Attorney.
The first bill by the grand jury was John P.. Huddleston versus James Fruzier, for an affray, found June, 1820.
The first trial in the Circuit Court was Conway versus Conner.
The first divorce granted was in favor of Huldah Way from her husband, Nathan Way, August, 1823.
The first wagon-shop, sa far as now known, was owned by Thomas Butterworth, before 1840, now living two and a half miles southeast of Winchester.
The first settler on White River was William Diggs, Jr., who came during the summer of 1816, with Paul, Henry H., William and Robert Way. He married during the winter of 1816 or 1817, and settled, perhaps, February, 1817.
The first railroad through the county was the Indianapolis & Bellefontaine (now Bee Line) Railroad, completed in 1852-3.
The first blacksmith shop may have been John Way's, at Winchester, (not known). James Frazier, father of Francis Frazier, the bellmaker, was a bellmaker and blacksmith. He came in 1817 (in the spring). Jere Smith's father came in August, 1817, and ho was a blacksmith and worked at his trade.
The first brick house in Winchester, and perhaps in the county, was built by Martin Comer, where the National Bank now stands year not now known.
The first frame house in the county was built in Winchester, by Judge John Sample, in 1820.
The first penitentiary sentence was rendered in the August term. 1824, against David Bantu, for hog stealing. The prisoner escaped into Ohio and was never captured, and so the sentence remains not carried out to this day.
The first carding machine in the county was owned by Daniel Petty, east of Winchester, very early, exact date not known.
The first two-story hewed log cabin in Winchester was built in the fall of 1811, on Inlot No., west front, by James McCool, a blind man. It was good and substantial, and was occupied by him as a hotel in 1811), and stood until not long ago.
The first burying ground was probably at Arba. Arba, Lynn, Cherry Grove, Jericho, White River and Dunkirk meetings were all established shortly after the settlement of the county
Arba being almost certainly first.
The first drain-tile made in the county, as also in the State, were manufactured by hand by John K. Martin in a machine made by himself in 1856. He made 200 rods and burned them
in a brick-kiln in his father's yard.
The first session of the Union Literary Institute commenced June 15, 1846, with Rev. Ebenezer Tucker as Principal, in a two-story hewed log house, upon ground cleared from the heavy green woods for the purpose. A huge tree-trunk, four feet through, lay for years not twenty feet from the door, that had just been felled 48 in the green," and the boarding house erected the next year had several green stumps under the floors.
The first hotel in Winchester was kept by James McCool, a blind man. It was set up in 1819.
The first store in Winchester would seem to have been kept by Esquire Odle, at what date is not now known.
The first Treasurer's report was made May, 1819 ; sum received $10; expenditures, $20.
The first assessor (lister) was George Bowles, appointed February, 1819. He made his report in May and was allowed $10 for assessing, the county.
The first post offices in the various townships were probably as follows: White.River (and in the county), Winchester, Ward, Deerfield; Greensfork, Spartanburg; Washington, Bloomingsport; Franklin, Ridgeville; Wayne (old) Randolph; Stony Creek, Windsor; West River, Trenton; Nettle Creek, Losantville; Jackson, New Lisbon; Green, Fairview ; Monroe, Farmland.
History of Randolph County Indiana by E. Tucker
Copyright © Genealogy Trails