VOTERS AT THE FIRST ELECTION.
The names of the voters at this first
election were as follows in Cicero Township:
David Miller, Jacob Whisler, T. C. Parker, Samuel Ledgerwood, M. L.
Thomas, George McNeil, Daniel Welshons, Jesse Brown, Edward Good,
George Van Buskirk, E. D. Thomas, Samuel S. White, Andrew Carpenter,
David Webbert, D. G. Wilkes, John Beck, Lewis Beck, Stephen Weller,
Green Lilly, George White, Solomon Miller, James Lechner, James
Johnson, Sylvester Trupen, J. C. Belzer, James Mynerty, William
Welshous, William Sharp, Abi-aham Goodykoontz, S. H. Newlin, John
Johnson, Solomon Smith, Joseph Van Buskirk, March Tucker, Joseph
Sumner, George Tucker, E. R. Conner, Harvey Goodykoontz, Allen
Goodpasture, John Emehiser, George Smith, Joseph McMnrtry, James
Cooper, A. M. Young, Jonathan Keed, Arthur Davison and E. S. White;
The voters in Madison Township at the same election were as follows:
Henry Harbet, D. G. Wright, John Morris, Spencer Etchison. Isaac Shaw,
C. T. Jackson, Isaac Harbet, Granville Gibson, Josiah Gilliland, James
Merritt, George Leamar, Henry Sloan. H. H. Hobbs, Bert Wright, T.
Starkey, William Harrington. Philip Ledsinger, Reuben Farlow, James
Cross, Zimri Brown, Joseph Henderson, Gabriel Martin. William Townser,
William Orr, Silas Blount, William Birch, Colbern Birch, Jr., Thomas
Cooper, John Belhamer, Richard Miner,. R. E. Davison, L. T. Hobbs,
Charles Thurman, William Stevenson, James Forsee, John B. Cole,
Benjamin McCashland, John Little, Amasa P. Cassler, W. H. Stokesberry,
Harvey Stokesberry, J. L. Jack, George Rhodes, Samuel Judy, John
Etchison, Adam Elder, John W. Bolser, George Little, Samuel Townser,
Samael Bottorff, Edward Sharp, Absalom Hobbs, James Shaw, Sr., James
Shaw, Jr., Ira Plummer, Daniel Etchison, George Myerly, Thomas
Jackson, Nicholas Fox, John Russell, Joseph Goor and Enos Mills;
The voters in Prairie Township at the same election were William
Bickerson, Joseph McConnelly, Elijah Harder, Joseph Harness, Jesse
Stepp, George Teeter. Hardin Stepp, S. T. Harlow, John Parker, William
Parker, Eli Teeter, Edward Jackson, Wesley Herron, Jesse Coleman, Eben
Teeter, Benjamin Stewart, Daniel Campbell, Perry Evans, Robert
Armstrong, Solomon Edmundson, John Herron, J. W. T. Duvall, David
Humphreys, John Fariow, John Cooper, William Pfoff, John Sharks,
Edward Stivens, G. A. Search, A. Small, Abraham Plew, John Nutter,
George Forsee, J. A. Wright, G. W. B. Parks, George Tucker, Daniel
Kemp, William Black, Levi Dunn, William Campbell, D. S. Pritchett, A.
Pitmore, Daniel Stephens, W. H. Richardson, Amdrose Conn, James
Miller, E. M. Sandridge, William Stewart, William Die, George Die,
'Archibald Montgomery, G. N. Ferris, William Terpine, Curtis Pritchett
and Robert Alexander; total, 56.
The list of voters at this election in Jeflferson Township could not
ORGANIZATION OF THE COUNTY.
On Monday, the 3d of June, 1844, the
three County Commissioners who had been elected met at the house of
Jesse Brown, to set the official machinery of the county in motion.
William Harrington produced his commission as Sheriff from Gov.
Whitcomb, and the County Commissioners, in turn, exhibited their
certificates of election. These first Commissioners were Robert E.
Davison, John D. Smith and Hoinas Jackson. Their first act was to cast
lots for the long and short terms, which was done with the following
results: Davison, one year; Smith, two years, and Jackson, three
years. N. J. Jackson was appointed temporary County Auditor, and Jesse
Brown, County Assessor. Mr. Brown had served as Assessor under
appointment from the Commissioners of Hamilton County, and he now
presented his assessment list, which was formally received, and he was
paid $18.75, for his services for twelve and a half days. The Board
then proceeded to create townships as follows: Madison, to be six
miles square, in the southeast corner of the county; Cicero, to be six
miles square, and to adjoin Madison on the west; Jefferson, to be six
miles from north to south, and eight miles from east to west, and to
be located west of and adjoining Cicero; Prairie, to be all of the
county north of Jefferson Township. Elections in Madison were ordered
held at the house of John B. Cole; in Cicero, at the house of Jesse
Brown; in Jefferson, at the house of Stephen Eleven, and in Prairie at
the Montgomery Schoolhouse. John Hogan was granted a license to vend
merchandise for six months for 50 cents, his capital amounting to $60.
This gentleman, at that period, was not an Astor or a Stewart. All
Road Supervisors, who had previously been appointed under Hamilton
County jurisdiction, were ordered to open all roads that had been
properly laid out and granted. Two Justices of the Peace were ordered
elected in each of the townships, Madison, Cicero and Jefferson, and
one in Prairie. At the September term, 1844, N. J. Jackson was again
appointed temporary Auditor, as he had not yet qualified as Clerk, to
which office he had been elected. Elias S. Conner was appointed
Constable of Cicero Township, Madison was divided into four road
districts, Cicero into three, and Jefferson into four. Jesse Frasier
was appointed Constable of Prairie Township. The county was divided
into three Commissioners' Districts, as follows: All east of an
extended line between Sections 31 and 32, Township 21 north, flange 5
east, to be District No. 1; all east of the extended eastern boundary
of Section 36, Township 21 north, Range 3 east, to be District No. 2;
all the remainder of the county to be District No. 3. On Monday,
October 14, 1844, David P. Alder, Jesse Carter, Samuel H. Cunningham
and G. W. Thomas, four of the five Commissioners appointed by the
Legislature to locate the county seat, appeared, and after
investigating the merits of several locations, formally drove the
stake and permanently fixed the seat of justice of Tipton County on
Section 11, Township 21 north, Range 4 east, on a tract of 100 acres
that was donated to the county by Samuel King, in consideration of
having the county seat located thereon. These Commissioners were paid
$159 for their services and discharged. The county seat was named
Canton. William H. Nelson was appointed County Agent, and directed to
lay out the new county seat, after the design of a plat furnished by
the Locating Commissioners, and was ordered to sell not exceeding
fifty of the lots so laid out. As the county had no funds to carry on
expenses, the Auditor was directed to procure a quire of printed
county orders, which were to be issued to raise money.
In December, 1844, Charles Thurman was appointed County Surveyor. In
laying out Canton (now Tipton), he was assisted by John Criswell,
Jesse Brown, M. L. Thomas and E. "D. Thomas. Andrew Evans was Clerk of
the first public sale of town lots, and James Graves was Auctioneer.
A. M. Young became Sheriff in the fall of 1844. N. J. Jackson was
formally qualified as Clerk and ex officio Auditor. George Tucker was
licensed to sell liquor in January, 1845. The buyers of lots in Canton
up to March 3, 1845, were Daniel Smith, Lewis Jones, Silas Blount, E.
S. White, Lewis Beck, Jesse Frasier, Daniel Lister, J. M. Chew, Samuel
Neese, D. G. Wilkes, N. J. Jackson, George Tucker. L, C. Fairie,
Daniel Welshous, William Ballard, M. L. Thomas, Brown & Whisler,
Samuel Dale, J. N. Starkey and Wilson Thompson. The total receipts of
the sale, thus far, were $702.75, one-fourth of which was cash. Almost
all the early funds of the county came from the sale of town lots.
This was a very important soui'ce of revenue, but the county was
forced to issue ordei's, at a considerable discount, which discount
continued to increase as time passed, and the orders were not
In June, 1845, Joseph Van Buskirk was paid, in orders, $27.75, for
assessing the county. The first county tax levied was in 1845, upon
the basis of this assessment, 2 1/2-cents on each $100 valuation, and
75 cents on each poll. The cash receipts on the county levy was small
indeed, and the delinquent list began to run up. The first court house
was completed early in 1846, and a jail was built during the previous
winter. Roads began to be laid out in the more needy locations of the
county. Township officers and county officers were paid in county
orders, at a discount of about 10 per centum. The rapid settlement of
the county began to be felt in the presence of money brought in by the
new settlers. Business was done, however, largely by a system of
exchanges, balances often being disposed of by the transfer of some
article of value. Butter, eggs, pork, etc., were worth so much sugar,
coffee, calico, tobacco, etc. Deer skins were marketable at about $1
each. The county only gradually grew out of its early financial
The first term of the Tipton County
Circuit Court was held at the house of Jesse Brown, on Monday, the
12th of May, 1845, before Silas Blount and Joseph Goar, Associate
Judges. Alexander M. Young, Sheriff, returned the following persons as
grand jurors: Robert Armstrongs Benjamin Leavell, James Shaw, Allen
Pitman, Alexander Mills, David G. Wilkes, George Smith, Andrew Evans,
Jackson Hill, Joseph Henderson, George Leman, Edward Good, Robert
Davison, Harvey Goodykoontz and Jesse Brown. They were sworn, charged
and sent into the grand jury room. On motion, William Gaiwer, Marcus
Lindsey James Forsee, William Stewart, Earl S. Stone and Amasa P.
Gassier were sworn and admitted to practice in the court as attorneys.
The first case called was an appeal from the Justice's courtWilliam
Welshous vs. Daniel Webbertboth parties being represented by
attorneys. The case was continued until the next term of the court,
when Mr. Welshous was non-suited and required to pay costs of suit.
The second case seems to have been an appeal from Justice's
courtWilliam Garver rs. James Teachner. The defendant made default,
whereupon judgment was rendered against him for costs. The third
caseJoseph A. Wright vs. John B. Cole, trespass on the base for
slanderwas fixed for trial at 1 o'clock of the same dayMonday, May
12, 1845. At the time set, the defendant filed a plea of general issue
and two special pleas of justification, and was given more time. The
first grand jury, mentioned above, after being out a short time, came
into court and reported that they had found no bills of indictment,
whereupon they were discharged. The next, or fourth case was for
trespassJohn Hogan vs. Whisler & Webbert. The plaintiff, not
being a resident of the State, was required to give bond for costs,
which he did in the sum of $50. The defendants demanded a jury, which
was called and selected as follows: Levi Hobbs, Joseph Henderson.
Samuel Deal, Michael Mitchell, James ^haw, John Farley, James Goar,
William Orr, John B. Wright, Joseph Van Buskirk. Carter Jackson and
John B. Cole. This was the first petit jury in the county. The trial
proceeded; the jury were sent out, and soon returned with the
following verdict: "We, the jury, find the defendants guilty of the
trespass, and assess the plaintiff's damages at the sum of $13.20."
Judgment was accordingly rendered against the defendants to the amount
of the verdict and costs of suit, the total sum being $54. 56. The
case of Wright vs. Cole then came up, the plaintiff filing his
siiniliter to the general issue of the defendant, and a replication to
the second and third special pleas. More time was granted to prepare
for the trial.
The first business performed on the third day of this court was the
assessment of a fine of $1 each against Earl E. Stone and William
Garver for contempt of court. Peace and apparent harmony having been
restored by this act of the two Associate Judges, other business was
considered. As yet, the Presiding Judge had not been in attendance
upon the court. The case of Wright vs. Cole came up, and a jury was
called as follows: Joseph Van Buskirk, Jacob Whisler, George Smith,
Edward Good, Daniel Lister, March Tucker, James Goar, John Farley,
Joseph Sumner, Robert Davison, William Divon and Samuel Deal. The
trial was begun, but before concluded court was adjourned until next
morning at 9 o'clock. The verdict brought in by this jury was as
follows: "We, the jury, find the defendant guilty as charged, and
assess the plaintiff's damages at $75.84." Judgment included this sum
and costs, amounting to $47.24. On this day, the first grand jury,
above mentioned, were allowed 75 cents each for one day's services. At
the same time, several of the petit jurors were allowed $4 for three
days' services. John Nutter was Bailiff, as were also Jesse Brown and
John K. Smith. Thus ended the first term of the Tipton County Circuit
In November, 1845, John W. Wright, President Judge, and Siias 'Blount
and Joseph Goar, Associate Judges, were in attendance. The following
grand jury was returned by the Sheriff: Richard Farlow (foreman),
James Leavell, Michael Mitchell, James S. Jack, Isaac Shaw, Gilbert
Wright. Malachi Cooper, James Pickard, John McHolmes, John Deal.
Samuel Batorff, Daniel Smith, Solomon Smith, James Egler and Absalom
Hobbs. By the .second day of this term, this grand jury had returned "
true bills " of indictment in the following cases: " State of Indiana
r.s. Daniel Bales, for public indecency," and " State of Indiana vs.
David Bishop and Jonathan Reed, for affray." On the first day of this
term, the first plea for divorce was filed by Catharine Sharpe vs.
William Sharpe. The complainant, however, appeared by counsel, and
dismissed the case at her own costs. The second plea for divorce,
filed the same day. was by Jacob Whisler vs. Lavina Whisler. A
demurrer was filed to the complainant's bill, and was sustained by
Judge Wright, whereupon the case was dismissed. Ten cases were
considered by the court at this term, and eight bills of indictment
were returned by the Grand Jury.
At the April term, 1846. Jeremiah Smith, President Judge, and Silas
Blount and Joseph Goar, Associate Judges, were, present. Judge Smith
produced his commission from the Governor, for the term of seven
years, as Judge of the Eleventh Judicial Circuit. The rules of court
previously adopted were repealed, and a long series of new and better
ones was adopted. Among the attorneys admitted to practice in the
early Circuit Courts of the county were Andrew Batorff, Nathaniel R.
Lindsey and Charles D. Murray in November, 1845; John Davis, J. S.
Buckles and William F. Brady in March, 1846. Joseph S. Buckles was the
Prosecutor of the Eleventh Judicial Circuit from September, 1846, to
September, 1848. Gustavus H. Voss was admitted to the bar in October,
1846. William H. Nelson was admitted during the same term, and James
F. Suit and John M. Conan in April, 1847. A metallic seal was adopted
at the October term, 1847 ; this is described further on. Amasa P.
Cassler became District Prosecuting Attorney in September. 1848. John
Green was admitted to the bar in April, 1849, and David Kilgore and
Joseph A. Lewis at the same term. Carlton E. Shippey and Richard D.
Markland were admitted to the bar in April, 1852. Among the early
cases before the Circuit Court were the following: Trespass on the
case, trespass, divorce, assumpsit, public indecency, affray, assault
and battery, debt, official negligence, cases in chancery, illegal
voting, trover and conversion, foreclosure of mortgage, retailing,
perjury, betting, ferfeited recognizance, rape, winning, losing,
adultery, extortion, riot, larceny, selling liquor to intoxicated
person, scire facias, etc., etc. The first charge of murder was in
April, 1852, against Harvey Moon, who took a change of venue to the
Marion Circuit Court. An account of this case will be found further
on. The first person admitted to citizenship was Laurence Beck, a
German, from the Dukedom of Hesse-Darmstadt. This was the 10th of
November, 1845. John Green, the attorney long-' est a practitioner of
the Tipton County bar, is yet an honored resident of the county, and
still continues a disciple of Blackstone, with but little diminution
in his former intellectual celerity and vigor.
The first probate business on record in
the Clerk's office, was the application of Thomas Cooper for letters
of administration of the estate of Alexander S. Wallace, deceased,
which application was granted on the 6th of July, 1844, by Newton J.
Jackson, Clerk of the Court. Mr. Cooper must have been a Quaker, or
something of that sort, as, instead of making oath for the faithful
performance of his duties as administrator, he " affirmed." On the 5th
of September, he returned an inventory of the goods, chattels and
effects of Wallace, deceased, the amount being $199.49. He produced a
bill of sale of the property, which amounted to $214.62. All this was
done before the first session of the com't. On the 11th day of
November, 1844, the first Probate Court was held by William H. Nelson,
Probate Judge, the first business coming before the court being the
above. The bond of Mr. Cooper was pronounced insufficient, and he was
required to give additional security, which he did by securing the
signature of Alexander M. Young to his bond, which amounted to $150.
The lynx-eyed Judge also pronounced the bill of sale insufficient, and
ordered it "returned to Mr. Cooper for correction, to be completed and
returned by the 25th of November. Before the court was held, or on the
27th of September, 1844, letters of administration had been granted to
Edward Sharp, on the estate of James P. Woods, deceased. His bond was
fixed at $500. At the abovementioned first term of the court, the bond
was approved, but the inventory of the property of the deceased,
amounting to $357.27, was rejected, owing to the want of sufficient
affidavits from the appraisers. Time was given the administrator for
correction. Upon petition of Jeremiah Moty, infant son of George Moty,
deceased, Erasmus D. Thomas was appointed guardian, to take care of
the person and property of the said Jeremiah Moty. The guardian's bond
was fixed at $200; rather an insignificant amount, judging from
appearances. Thus ended the proceedings of the first term of Probate
Court of Tipton County.
At the February term, 1845, Thomas Cooper was charged with the bill of
sale of the estate of A. S. "Wallace, the same amounting to $214.62;
and Edward Sharp was charged with the estate of J. P. Woods, which
amounted to $357.25, a portion of the estate ($114.61) having been
paid over to Anna Woods, widow of the deceased. And here the February
term of the court ended.
At the May term, 1845, Daniel Higer was appointed guardian of the
estate of Henry Higer, John Higer and Martha Higer, his own (David
Higer's) infant children, under fourteen years of age, who had been
willed property worth about $105 by Charles Baker, deceased, of
Hamilton County. And thus ended the May term of the court.
At the August term, 1845, H. H. Hobbs was appointed guardian of the
estate of his infant childrenAmanda, Elizabeth, Nancy and John Hobbs.
At the November term, 1845, Andrew J. Sharp was appointed
administrator of the estate of Anna Woods, deceased, and Jesse Brown
was appointed administrator of the estate of James Goodpasture,
deceased. The inventory of Mr. Goodpasture's property, with the
appraised value, was as follows: One wagon, $40; one yoke of oxen,
$30; one milch cow, $9; one lot of bedding, $9; one table, $2.50; one
small chest, 50 cents; one lot of sundry articles, 31 cents; one
tea-kettle, 37 cents; one stew pot, 37 cents; one lot of cupboard
ware, $1.75; one meal sieve, 25 cents; one Dutch oven, 87 cents; one
lot of potatoes, $2; one lot of cabbage, 25 cents; one lot of corn,
$1.75; one rifled gun, $2.75; total, $101.67. This inventory is a fit
representation of the "goods, chattels, rights, credits, moneys and
effects" of each of the early settlers. There was the wagon and yoke
of oxen; there was the one cow; there were the meager household
furniture, domestic utensils and vegetables, and there was the rifle,
which played an important part in the desolate drama of pioneer life.
A volume of self-denial is told in that inventory. Ruth Armstrong,
widow of Robert Armstrong, deceased, filed a petition in November,
renouncing all claim to administer the estate of her deceased husband,
and asking that Alexander M. Young, or some other suitable person,
might be appointed. Mr. Young was accordingly appointed. Andrew J.
Sharp, administrator of the estate of Anna Woods, deceased, was cited
to appear at the next term of the court to show cause why he should
not be removed or give a new bond and give an inventory of the estate,
and present a bill of sale of the property.
And so the probate matters ran on until 1853, when the Common Pleas
Court assumed jurisdiction of all probate business. 'Mr. Nelson served
as Probate Judge until February, 1851, when he was succeeded by Joseph
A. Lewis. In November, 1851, Mr Lewis was succeeded by Richard Minor,
who served until probate business was transferred to the Common Pleas
The first commission of lunacy was issued in May. 1849, at which time
Amos Pharis petitioned the issuance of such commission to inquire into
the sanity of Barbara Pilaris. After consideration, the court directed
the Sheriff to summon a jury of twelve men, to determine as to the
compos m,mtis or non compos mentis oi thp said Barbara Pharis. The
jury found that for the space of about four years next preceding the
inquiry, the lady had been of unsound mind, and was wholly unfit to
manage her property or person; whereupon Amos Pharis was appointed her
guardian, and rerpiired to give bond in the sum of $150. The second
seal of the Probate Court was of the usual circular form and size,
inclosing the representation of a coffin, with the words on the margin
of the seal, "Probate Court of Tipton County, Indiana." This took the
place of the seal adopted in 1847, which was really the seal of the "
Tipton Circuit Court, Indiana," those words inclosing a cluster of
growing wheat, a harrow, a rake, a fork and a plow. The second probate
seal, above, was adopted November 13, 1849.
The first term of the Common Pleas Court
of Tipton County was begun and held at the court house in June, 1853,
by Earl S. Stone, sole Judge, whose district was composed of the
counties of Hamilton, Howard and Tipton. The first business of a
probate nature was the confirmation of the letters of administration
granted to James A. Junis, on the estate of James Junis, deceased; and
the second was the confirmation of the letters of administration
granted to Joseph Shank, on the estate of Joseph H. Shepard, deceased.
The first business other than of probate Uciture was the case of the
State vs. Lewis McEIhaney charged with assault and batteiy. The third
case was a charge of the same nature, against Jane Shane. Subsequent
cases were petition for a deed, assumpsit, suit on a promissory note,
trespass, account, divorce, suit on bond, attachment, injury to the
person, assault and battery, for the conveyance of real estate.,
complaint on note, petition for partition, surety of the peace, etc.,
The first murder trial on record in the
county was the killing of Mr. Hornbeck by Henry Moon, in about 1852.
The men were cousins, and became involved in a dispute regarding a few
cattle. It seems that Hornbeck went into a field to thrash Moon, but
the latter stabbed the former with a pocket-knife, inflicting a mortal
wound. Moon was arraigned, took a change of venue to Indianapolis,
where he was sentenced to the penitentiary for three years, but was
set at libetry at the end of eighteen months.
The murder of a man named Eshelman caused much excitement in the
county. He was hunting, and disappeared, and, as he did not return
within a I'easonable time, his folks became uneasy tmd instituted a
strict search, which resulted in finding his decomposed body in the
woods. A young man named Ellison was arrested, some strong evidence
existing as to his guilt. He was sent to the penitentiary, but was
pardoned by the Governor and released, and a man named David Whelchel
was arrested, charged with the murder. At the first trial, Whelchel
was sentenced to the penitentiary for life; but he gained a new trial,
where the jury " hung," which resulted in his acquittal. Subsequently
young Ellison was hung for murder in Missouri
Another important case was the death, by poisoning, of a Mrs. Snyder
and her little girl. The two died with spasms, and under suspicious
circumstances, and the husband and step-father was arrested, charged
with poisoning them with strychnine. On the tirst trial, Mr. Snyder
was sentenced for life to the penitentiary. At the first new trial, he
was sentenced for twenty- one years, but at the second new trial was
again sentenced for life. Many have doubted this man's guilt, thinking
that the mother poisoned her child and herself.
Joel Harvey and Jane Goflf were arraigned for the murder of Mr. Goff,
husband of Jane Gofl'. The wife was sentenced to two years in the
penitentiary, as an accessory, while Harvey was set free, owing to a
Two boys In Tipton, named Groves and Paul, became involved in a
quarrel, when the former struck the latter on the head with a
brick-bat, causing his death. An indictment was returned, but Groves
has been missing since the tragedy.
A year or two ago, two boys, named respectively Doles and White,
quarreled, when the former stabbed the latter, causing his death. The
murderer was sentenced to the penitentiary for twenty-one years.
At Windfall, a man named Armstrong shot and killed a Mr. Thomas, but
on the trial was acquitted. A woman was at the bottom of the case.
Various other murders have occurred, but the above are the most
EARLY JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.
Among the early Justices of the Peace
were Jesse Brown, 1844; Solomon Miller, 1844; Joseph McMurtry, 1844;
Levi T. Hobbs, 1845; David Lilley, 1845; Andrew Evans, 1845; Reuben
Farlow, 1845; Robert Alexander, 1845; Richard Humphrey, 1845; William
Black, 1845; D. B. Redmon, 1845; David Decker, 1847; Alexander Suit,
1848; Johnson Farley, 1848; Thomas Jackson, 1849; Philemon Plummer,
1849; Harvey A. Wells, 1849; H. A. Woodruff, 1849; Jesse Brown, 1849;
Jesse Smiley, 1849; Richard Miner, 1849; Jonathan Endicott, 1849; John
Murphey, 1850; Reuben Jackson, 1850; Green Lilley, 1850; David Lilley,
Sr., 1850; John Longfellow, 1850; William Ray, 1850; Robert Alexander,
1850; John Smith, 1850; George Wlmbraugh, 1850, and James Barrow,
SUBSEQUENT TOWNSHIP BOUNDARIES.
In June, 1847, Wild Cat Township was
created as follows: Beginning at the northeast corner of Section 32,
Township 23 north, Range 6 east, thence south five miles, thence west
twelve miles, thence north five miles, thence east twelve miles to the
place of beginning. The other townships were made to correspond. At
the March term, 1849, the townships were given the following
boundaries: Madison, located in the southeast corner of the county, to
be eight miles from north to south and five and a half miles from east
to west, just its present size; Cicero, located next west of Madison,
to be seven and a half miles from east to west, on the south, thence
north six and a half miles, thence east one mile, thence north one and
a half miles, thence east six and a half miles, thence south eight
miles to the place of beginning; Jefferson, located next west of
Cicero, to be seven miles from east to west, and six and a half miles
from north to south; Prairie, to commence at the southeast corner of
the northeast quarter of Section 32, Township 22 north, Range 4 east,
thence west eight miles, thence north six and a half miles, thence
east eight miles, thence south six and a half miles, to the place of
beginning; Wild Cat, to commence at the southeast corner of Section
20, Township 22 north, Range 6 east, thence west twelve miles, thence
north five miles to the county line, thence east twelve miles, thence
south five miles to the place of beginning. In June, 1849, Liberty
Township was created as follows: To commence at the northeast corner
of Secti^^n 31, Township 23 north, Range 5 east, thence west five
miles, thence south five miles, thence east five miles, thence north
five miles, to the place of beginning. At the same time, W^ild Cat
Township was bounded as follows: Commence at the northeast corner of
Section 32, Township 23 north. Range 6 east, thence west seven miles,
thence south five miles, thence east seven miles, thence north five
miles, to the place of beginning. In September, 1851, a portion of
eastern Prairie was attached to Liberty, and a portion of southeastern
Prairie to Cicero. In September, 1855, the boundaries of Cicero and
Jefi"erson were altered to what they are at present. In 1857,
fifty-four citizens of Liberty and Wild Cat Towiiships petitioned the
Board to create a new township out of certain portions of those two
townships, but action thereon was postponed and finally dropped. In
1860, a petition to change the|boundary between Madison and Cicero
Townships to a half mile east of where it now is was not granted. No
other alterations have been made in the boundaries of the townships.
Early in 1845, Jesse Brown was ordered
to advertise for sealed proposals for the erection of a frame court
house, 20x24 feet, two stories high, to be covered with poplar
shingles, to be erected on Lot 3, Block 10, Canton, and to be ready by
the Ist of June, 1845. In February, the contract was awarded to George
Tucker, who was paid the first installment March 5, 1S45. The building
was up by June, according to contract, and the contract of completing,
partitioning and furnishing the house was let to Jacob W. Whisler and
Christian Eshelman, for $238, the work to be completed by November,
3845. This was accomplished according to contract, the contractoi's
receiving their pay, $285.50, in March, 1846. Under orders, N. J.
Jackson purchased two stoves, ft* $37.77, in December, 1845, for the
court house, using the " town lot fund " for that purpose. The cost of
this building was about $1,200. It had a hall running through from
east to west, and on each side of the lower story were two rooms for
the county officers. The upper story was the court room. In September,
1845, the County Agent, W. H. Nelson, was ordered to have built a log
jail, 14x20 feet, eight feet high, with walls of hewed-oak timber, one
foot square, the rooms to be lined with heavy oak plank, spiked firmly
in their places. Charles A. Thurman took the contract at $115, and
completed the same in December, 1845. It is stated that no criminal
broke out of this old jail, after he was once locked in. It answex-ed
all purposes until the present jail was constructed, and possessed a
merit, it is stated, that the present building does notcriminals
could not escape. Daniel Smith was the first jailer. In June, 1846,
Solomon Smith, who had donated to the county 2,000 feet of good lumber
for the public buildings, was directed to deliver the same at the
court house. In September, 1846, James Cassler contracted to clear the
court house square for $13.12. At the same time, George Tucker, under
orders, secured twelve chairs for the court house. In the autumn,
quite an extensive addition was built to the court house, at a cost of
several hundred dollars. This was rendered necessary by the crowded
condition of things. In 1855, the public square was fenced anew. In
December, 1855, Samuel Deal and Harvey Goodykoontz were appointed to
see to the erection of much-needed county offices on the public
square, the building to be frame, 14x28 feet, nine feet high, with a
partition in the center, the rooms to be ceiled and plastered. The
building was completed in June, 1857, at a cost of $329.09. About this
time, the county courts began to meet in the Methodist Church, which
had been erected about three years before, as the court house had been
destroyed by fire.
In June, 1858, Nelson Daubenspeck, of Hamilton County, contracted to
build a new court house for Tipton County, within two years, for
$10,000, of which $1,000 was to be paid the 1st of November, 1858,
$3,000 the 1st of January, 1859, $3,000 the 1st of January, 1860, and
$3,000 when the building was completed and accepted. The foundation of
the building was to be three and a half feet high, two feet thick at
the bottom nnd twenty inches thick at the top. The outer wall was to
be of hammer-dressed limestone, and the inner walls either of brick or
limestone, eighteen inches thick. The walls oi the building proper
were to be of brick, the outside wall to be eighteen inches thick,
except the gables, which were to be thirteen inches thick, and the
inside walls were to be thirteen inches thick. The tirst story was to
be ten feet high, and the second story seventeen feet high. A hall was
to extend north and south through the lower story, on the sides of
which were to be the county offices. The upper story was to be the
court room. The bond of the contractor was fixed at $20,000, with the
following sureties: D. S. Hurlock, S. D. Cottingham, J. W. Eoss, J. W.
Cottingham and W. Daubenspeck. In September, 1858, in order to meet
the expense of constructing this building, the Board ordered issued
and sold eight county bonds of $500 each, payable at the banking house
of Winslow, Lanier & Co., New York: $2,000 to be paid in two
years, and $2,000 in four years. The first $2,000 of these bonds sold
at a discount of $84.15. The erection of the house was rapidly pushed,
and in December, 1859, Mr. Daubenspeck announced that it was finished.
He was soon paid the remainder due him under the contract, besides
$500 additional for extra work, and enough more to run the cost up to
nearly $15,000. This building is yet in use. In 1862, John W. Axtell
re-covered the court house with tin roofing, at $9 per square. At the
same time, a fire and burglar proof safe for the Treasurer's office
was purchased of W. B. Dodd & Co. , for $550. In December, 1862,
John Cox repaired the court house roof to the extent of $60.
In April, 1866, advertisements were ordered for the erection of a
combined jail and jailer's residence. In May, bids were received from
J. H. McConnell, Alpheus Lay and J. H. Coifman, but neither was
accepted then. N. R. Overman was appointed agent, to take th« plans
and specifications to Indianapolis, to have them corrected by a
competent architect. The plans had been submitted by B. F. Hough &
Co. The contract was finally awarded to J. H. Coffman. for $6,000, the
building to be completed by the 1st of November, 1866. The old jail
was soon sold to John Cassiform for $13. G. W. Boyer was appointed
Superintendent to oversee the work on the jail. It was again found
necessary to issue several thousand dollars' worth of county bonds, to
meet expenses, and N. R. Overman was appointed agent to negotiate
their sale. The building, a fine brick structure, was completed in
June, 1867, the time allowed the contractor having been extended. This
is the present jail In the autumn of 1866, the right to use Seider's
Improved System of Keeping Accounts was bought for $350,
In 1848, the name of the county seat was
changed from Canton to Tipton. Both the county and the county seat
were named in honor of Gen. John Tipton, who played such a prominent
part in the early history of Indiana. Late in 1847, George Tucker,
Zimri Brown and O. H. Perry were appointed agents to see that proper
donations of land for the necessary depot buildings were given the
Peru 6c Indianapolis Eailroad Company. On the first Monday in April,
1847. the townships were required to vote on the question of licensing
the sale of liquor within their borders. Every township voted for the
license. In March, 1848, the county subscribed fifty shares of stock
in the Peru & Indianapolis Railroad. In 1849, lots were ordered
deeded to various religious organizations, provided chtu'ches were
erected thereon within a specified time, which was not done, and the
time was afterward extended until the buildings were constructed. In
April, 1849, the townships again voted on the liquor question. Madison
was the only township which voted against granting a license. Saloons
were called in those days " wet groceries."
A petition to incorporate the county seat was favorably considered by
the board in March, 1851. This project again came up by petition with
thirty-seven signatures, in September, 1853, at which time 101 acres
were incorporated. A new public graveyard was purchased in December,
1853. A set of standard weigths and measures were bought of William
Huddart in 1855. In June, 1858, the board received a petition, with
thirty-six names appended thereto, praying that, after proper
investigation, so much of Cicero Creek as lay within the limits of
Tipton County and was suitable, might be declared navigable. Sylvester
Turpen, who had presented the petition, was appointed to examine the
creek and report its length in the county, depth, width, etc, etc. ,
and upon receipt of his report, and after due deliberation, the board
formally declared that fifteen miles of the twenty miles of the creek
in the county were to be considered a navigable water-course, and the
various Road Supervisors along the stream were ordered to take charge
of such highway. This very novel and useless proceeding occurred only
twenty-five years ago. In June, 1861, the board began paying out
county funds for the support of soldiers' families, and continued to
do so until the war ended. The expense of holding a County Teachers'
Institute began to be paid in 1807. Several county officers in past
years have proved defaulters to large amounts.
In 1876, the Tipton County Grange
Association was organized with a capital stock not to exceed $20,000,
the organization to last five years. All necessary officers were
appointed, but for some reason the organization did not come up to the
hopes of its founders and friends. The following was the grange
directory within three or four years after the organization of the
Star Grange, No. 814, W. J. Owen, M. ; K. W. Payne, Sec. Post office,
Sharpsvillo, Ind. West Grange, No. 1011, W. W. West, M. ; Sidney
Jenkins, Sec. Post office. Windfall, Ind. Washington Grange, No. 1)49,
Thomas Cole, M. ; C. M. Harman, Sec. Post office, Oakford, Ind.
Liberty Grange, No. 205. Reuben Parish, M. ; Newton Graham, Sec. Post
office, Windfall. Mount Zion Grange, No. 1069, John Carter, M. , John
W.Wallace, Sec. Post office, Sharpsvi lie. Hope Grange, No. 356, S. H.
Dillman, M. ; F. M. Harbet, Sec. Post office. New Lancaster. Richland
Grange, No. 1225, Oliver Dickey, M. ; Oscar Hoover, Sec. Post office,
Tipton, Ind. Duck Oeek Grange, No. 563, John Busenbark, M. ; W. P.
Gates, Sec. Post office, New Lat3caster, Ind. Jimtown Grange, No. 278.
E. J. Goar, M. ; William H. Goodnight, Sec. Post office, Normanda.
Pleasant View Grange, No. 252, G. W. Ham, M. ; I. A. Hulick, Sec. Post
office, Tipton. Irwin's Creek Grange, No. 440, G. W. Cass, M.; John
Thrawl, Sec. Post office, Windfall Faith Grange, No. 026, E. B.
Decker, M. ; Freeman Decker, Sec. Post office, Curtisville. Dixon
Grange, No. 135, J. J. Paiil, M. ; George Thompson, Sec. Post office,
Tipton. Plum Grove Grange, No. 181, Erasmus Techenor, M. ; William
Achenbach, Sec. Pi>st office, Tipton. Greenwood Grange, No. 201,
John Potts, M. ; H. N. Bishop, Sec. Post office, Shielville. Walnut
Grange, No. 186, F. Van Ness, M. ; Harris Eshelman, Sec. Post office,
Shielville. Hoback Grange, No. 133, Harrison Smith, M.; T. J. Grayson,
Sec. Post office, Normanda. Turkey Creek Grange, No. 1493, W. Garris,
M. ; Perry Wisman, Sec. ; Post office, Tipton. Mud Creek Grange, No.
1,537, George S. McKay, M.; A. D. Riffe, Sec. Post office. Windfall.
Independence Grange, No. 192, J. Wolverton, M. ; Jehu Van Buskirk,
Sec. Post office, Tipton. Tetersburg Grange, No. 227, J. A. Campbell.
M. ; H. H. Bunch, Sec. Post office, Tetersburg. Ind. Bennett Grange,
No. ]75.Merril Townsend.M. : D. T. Swing, Sec. Post office,
Sharpsville, Ind. Madison Grange, No. 355, John P. Hobbs, M. ; Thomas
Cook, Sec. Post office. New Lancaster, Ind. Clay Grange, No. 136, R H.
Keller, M.; G. W. Fippen, Sec. Post office, Tipton, Ind. Addison
Grange, No. 597, I. N. Ploughe, M. : H. W. Osborn, Sec. Post office,
Pickard's Mills, Ind. Cicero Grange, No. 74, Henry Goar, M. ; James
Clark, Sec. Post office, Jackson Station, Ind. Union Grange, No. 258,
L N. Bouse, M.; W. W. Clark, Sec. Post office, Jackson Station. Rock
Prairie Grange, No. 259, W. J. Ham, M.; J. K. P. Carson, Sec. Post
office, Tipton, Ind. Taylor Grange, No. , Henry Thomas, M. ; James K.
Harmon Sec. Post office, Oakford, Ind. Custisville Grange, No. , C.
S. Snook, M. ; D. M. Kirkwond, See. Post office, purtisville, Ind.
Fairmount Grange, No. 660, Job Hobbs, M. ; Jackson Knox, Sec. Post
office, Tipton, Ind. Elm Hill Grange, No. 824, R. A. Stack, M. ; T. J.
Couch, Sec. Post office, Windfall, Ind. Nearly all of these
organizations are now non est.
The first marriage in the county after
the organization was August 8, 1844, between Joseph G. Brown and
Dorinda Sharp, solemnized by John B. Cole, Justice of the Peace, the
license having been issued July 31, 1844. The second marriage was on
the 8th of August, 1844 (same day as the above which was first)
between Hickman Smiley and Elizabeth Mills, the license having been
issued August 3. The ceremony was performed by Judge Goar. The third
marriage was between Harvey Denney and Sophia Shaw, September 12,
1844, by J. B. Cole, Justice.
POPULATION OF THE COUNTY.
The population in 1840 was (estimated) 200; in 1850, 3,532; in 1 60,
8,170; in 1870. 11,953; in 1880, 14,402. ft
State roads were extended across the
county during the thirties one from Indianapolis north to the Wabash
Eiver, and one from "Muncietown" to La Fayette. Several others were
also built late in the thirties. So far as can be learned, the first
county road had the following limits: " Beginning on the line of
Hamilton County, on the east side of Section 28, Township 21 north,
Range 4 east, thence by the best route to King's mill on Cicero
Creek." More than twelve residents of Cicero Township petitioned the
board of Hamilton County, to which Tipton was then attached, for this
road. About a dozen other roads were extended across the county prior
to 1844. The first road petitioned for and built after the county was
organized was to extend as follows: From near Michael Mitchell's
residence to Zimri Brown's; thence to Charles Griffith's, thence to
near William Going's and James Jack's, thence north to the Miami
Reserve. Charles Thurman, Carter T. Jackson and Samuel Townsend were
Viewers. The " Three Per Cent Fund " furnished by the State for the
construction of roads was a godsend to Tipton County. A special road
tax, however, was levied, so great was the pressure for better
highways. The special road tax in 1845 was $74.90; in 1846, was
$289.58; in 1848, was $320.65; in 1849, was $472.02. In 1849, Joseph
Price, and in 1850, Andrew McMurtry were permitted to hang gates
across the State road from Muncie to La Fayette. What did that mean ?
By September, 1852, there had been projected a total of seventy-five
county roads, the greater number of which had been built. By
September, 1854, ninety-two had been projected; by June, 1858, one
hundred; by March, 1860, 125; by June, 1806, 208; by September, 1869,
285; by December, 1876, 413; by 1882, to over 500. These roads have
cost the county hundreds of thousands of dollars
A total of eleven gravel roads have peen
petitioned for within the past three years, Nos. 1, 4, 6 and 7 having
been granted and fully completed, and No. 5 having been granted and
partiallj'^ completed. No. 1 extends about eight miles from Tipton to
the north line of the county, and cost over $16,000. No. 4 extends
northeast of Windfall about five miles, and cost $10,000. No. 6 begins
about three miles northwest of Windfall and extends to Sharpsville,
being in length about six and one-half miles, and cost about $12,000.
No. 7 extends north of Windfall one mile, thence west two miles, being
three miles long, and joining No. 6, and cost $5,000. No. 5, now in
course of constructon, extends a little east of south from Tipton to
the Hamilton County line, an will cost about $17,000. Nos. 1, 4, 6 and
7 have cost over $48,000, which large amount was raised by the sale of
cou.nty bonds. If to this amount be added the estimated cost of No. 5,
it will be seen that the county has already expended over $60,000 in
gravel roads. This amount of indebtedness has already been incurred,
$10,000 of which has been paid, leaving the present gravel road debt
over $50,000. If to this is added the debt of $25,000 incurred in
erecting county buildings, the total county debt foots up to the large
amount of aboiit $78,000.
The length of county ditches and the
amounts used in their construction are told in large figures. As early
as the latter part of the fifties, private drainage companies began to
be organized in the county, and since then not less than twenty such
companies have been organized with a membership varying from a few to
fifty-two. It is estimated that private companies and individuals have
expended in drainage not less than $200,000. There are about a dozen
tile factories in the county also, and thousands of rods are laid down
in all parts of the county annually. Within the last eight or ten
years, there have been constructed at county expense about 190
ditches, the aggregate length of which is estimated at more than 100
miles, and the aggi-egate cost at more than $200,000. This
extraordinary activity, if continued, will render Tipton County the
garden spot of Indiana, as the soil is of the richest and most
enduring alluvial character. The futui'e has wonderful results in
store for the county.
The Peru & Indianapolis Railroad was
built in 1854. The county donated certain lands for depots and freight
houses, and the citizens usually gave the right of way. Besides this,
the county took $10,000 worth of stock in the company. In 1869, the
county voted on levying a tax of $60,000 to aid the La Fayette, Muncie
& Bloomington Railroad^ now the Lake Erie & Western Railroad.
There were cast 1,026 votes for the levy and 515 against it. Half of
that large appropriation was to be levied in June, 1870, and half in
June, 1871. The Great Eastern Railway, now the Cincinnati, St. Louis
& Chicago Railway, was constructed about twenty-five years ago,
but what help was given f.annot be learned. In 1871, Cicero, Jefferson
and Wild Cat Townships voted on the question of aiding the Toledo,
Thorntown& St. Iiouis Railway, but as the election was illegal for
some reason, another election was held in 1873 for the same purpose in
all the townships with the following results, the amount of aid to be
150,000: For the taxCicero, 568; Jefferson, 170; Wildcat, 832;
Prairie, 7; Liberty, 16; Madis(.n, 74. Total, 1,173. Against the
taxCicero, 52; Jeffersou, 20; Wild Cat, 2; Prairie, 248; Liberty,
218; Madison, 19U. Total, 739. This road has not yet been built, and
the Erie road was not until about six years ago.
The Indianapolis, Peru & Chicago Railroad has in the county 13.55
miles of main track, valued at $7, 500 per mile, and 1.61 miles of
side track. The Lake Erie & Western Railroad has 20 milea of main
track, worth $6,000 per mile, and 1,23 miles of side track. The
Pittsburgh, Cincinnati & St. Louis has 11.56 miles of main track,
valued at $8,250 per mile, and 1.12 miles of side track.
As near as can be learned, the first
poor person was " farmed out " in September, 1846, to Josiah
Gilliland, of Madison Township, for $40 per year. About the same time,
Rachel Cummings, a helpless old woman, was removed at county expense
to the poor-house of Hamilton County. The poor expense for the fiscal
year ending June, 1847, was $18.93; for the following year, $126.63;
for the year ending June, 1849, it amounted to $131.28; for the year
ending June, 1850, to $97; for 1851, to $107.62; for 1852, to $332.19;
for 1853, to $238.99; for 1855, to $236.59; for 1858, to $1,320.24;
for 1860, to $1,086.08; for 1864, to $3,067.52; for 1867, to
$4,812.98; for 1870, to $2,059.06; for 1875, to $3,937.42; for 1876,
to $10,599.11; for 1880, to $7, 730.. 77. It now amounts to about
$12,000 per annum. The plan continued to be followed of farming the
paupers out to the lowest bidders. Considerable township aid was
furnished independent of county help. Physicians were employed by the
year to doctor the county poor. Drs. R, R. Douglas and H. M. Vickrey
were employed in 1853; J. M. Grooves served as such in 1857 and J. M.
Sanders, Abraham Reeves and Isaac Parker in 1858. In December, 1863,
an agent was appointed to view several locations and to purchase the
most favorable for a poor farm. This action was followed by the
purchase of 78. 72 acres on Sections 14 and 15, Township 21 north,
Range 4 east, of James Recobs for $1,000 cash and $1,490 on the first
Monday in March, 1865. Upon this farm was a small frame dwelling,
insufficient in size and comfort to accommodate the poor, and bids
were called for to repair the old house and erect a new one of modest
size and pretensions. As many poor persons as could be accommodated
were ordered removed from private families to this house and the new
one as soon as the work was finished. John H. McConnell contracted to
repair the old house and build a new one, 10x30 feet, frame, for $580.
This was in the spring of 1864. William Morris became the first Poor
Superintendent, taking the farm for all he could make with it and
boarding the poor for so much per week. He was succeeded by D. J.
Caldwell, in 1 S'08, and he in turn by R. W. Mullis in 1869. The
latter continued for several years, first boarding the poor for $2. 50
per week and later reducing that figure to $2.40 and then to $2.20,
and in 1872, raising to $2.25. In 1872, the contract of building a new
poor-house was let to William Rubosh and J. H. McConnell, but for some
reason the work was abandoned until 1876, when the contract was given
to William Young for $7,000. The building, a fine, commodious,
two-storied brick structure, was erected immediately, and the poor
were soon in better quarters. In 1873, John Emehiser became
Superintendent. He agreed to board the poor for $1.75 per week and the
use of the farm. In 1875, Thomas B. Bates succeeded him, bidding in
the care of the poor for $1.65 per week and the use of the farm. Mr.
Bates continued Superintendent until 1883, reducing the costs of the
weekly care of the paupers somewhat as time advanced. In 1883, John Q.
Shaw succeeded Mr. Bates, bidding in the care of the poor at $1.50 per
week and the use of the farm. There are at present about forty inmates
of the poor-house. There have been as high as sixty-one and as low as
fourteen. Fifty-five acres of the poor farm are under cultivation. The
county, though severe, takes good care of its indigent and helpless.
THE AGRICULTURAL SOCIETY.
The Tipton County Agricultural Society
was first organized on the 11th of August, 1855, and on the 1st of
September a constitution and by-laws was adopted. The first county
fair was held on the 4th and 5th of October of the same year.
Considerable time and expense were employed in fitting up the
temporary grounds near the down- town depot with suitable sheds, etc.,
in which to make the display, but when the time came, so heavy were
the rains on both days, that the display of stock and farm productions
was very small. The rain on the 5th fell so continuously that not a
lady appeared upon the grounds. A start had been made, however, and it
remained for the future to continue the enterprise. The society at
this first fair numbered about seventy-five members. N. J. Jackson was
President and John Green Secretary. A few very large, tine pumpkins
were exhibited. A decided disposition for the improvement of stock was
manifested. The second fair was almost a failure, but little interest
being manifested. The third fair, held near Judge Green's residence,
was more of a success, both the Receipts and expenditures amounting to
more than 1100. Considerable stock was entered, and the ladies
appeared with a creditable display of domestic and fancy articles. For
two or three years during the war, no fair was held. At the close of
the war, however, the society was again revived. A fair ground was
secured south of town, and the County Commissioners were induced to
donate $200 to fence the same. After several year?, the society again
almost died out, but was fully re-organized in 1874, and became known
as the " Tipton County Joint-Stock Agricultural Society. "This society
purchased ten acres adjoining the poor-farm of Thomas Smith and rented
for ten years a strip of the poor-farm, eighty rods long by
twenty-three and one-half rods wide. These two tracts of land
constitute the present fair ground. There were 128 stockholders at the
commencement of this new organization. Stock was $10 per share, and
the total amount of stock was $3,000, all of which was not subscribed.
For two or three years excellent fairs were held, the interests in all
departments running high, especially in the fast stock department. In
1879, an entirely new organization, called the " Tipton County Fair
Company, " was effected. This has endured until the present. In 1878,
$1,247.25 was paid in premiums, and in 1882 nearly $1,700. The cash
receipts of 1882 were $1,793. In 1878, there were 690 entries; in
1882, there were 937. The present officers are J. T. Hunter,
President; D. A. Fish, Vice President; William Barlow, Secretary; W.
M. Grimshaw, Treasurer; W. A. Maze, General Superintendent; T. B.
Bates, Samuel Loucks, Jonathan Wolverton, J. J. Paul, Newton Campbell,
George Weed, P. F. Legg, D. B. Vice, G. W. Myerly. D. Wilkins, T. G.
Pratt, Joseph Turner and Lot Thomas, Directors. The fair ground and
the interest shown will compare favorably with other counties of the
COUNTY MEDICAL SOCIETIES.
As early as 1864, a society of this
nature was organized at the county seat, the following physicians
being among the members: M. V. B. Newcomer, C. N. Blount, J. J.
Mathers, M. M. Bundy, J. M. Gossett, Reuben Harvey, Isaac Parker, J.
C. Driver, T. K. Sanders, J. K. Baxter, James Lindsey and A. M.
Vickrey. This society did well for about one year, reading essays on
important medical topics, thoroughly discussing chosen subjects and
examining several interesting clinics. At the end of that period it
died out. In 1874, the " Tipton County Medical Society" was organized
with the following membership: M. V. B. Newcomer, H. B. Pitzer, G. W.
Collins, S M. Conner, J. M. Grove, A. J. Barker, W. A. Heath, J. S.
Manity, J. C. Driver, W. N Glass, J. Parker, J. N. Schell, N. W. Doan,
A. F. White and M. V. B. Vickrey. The object of the society was " the
advancement of medical knowledge, the elevation of professional
character, the protection of the interests of its members, the
extension of the bounds of medical science and the promotion of all
measures adapted to the relief of the suffering and to improve the
health and protect the lives of the community. " The members must be "
any graduate in medicine of a respectable medical school or licentiate
of any regularly organized medical society in good moral and
professional standing." This society became auxiliary to the State
Medical Society. The members were quite active for a number of years,
reading essays, examining clinics and discussing the leading medical
topics, including methods of treatment. Late in the seventies, the
society became divided in opinion on several important professional
questions, and in April, 1881, partially broke up, and a now society
was organized, with the following first membership: Winser Austin, A.
J. Barker, J. C. Driver, J. W. Crismond, J. A. Bouse, A. E. Rhodes, D.
P. Rubush, M. V. B. Newcomer, A. S. Dickey, G. Repp, A. P. Parker, D.
R. Campbell, J. P. Jessup, J. D. Armfield, H. G. Evans and M. S.
Johnson. This organization became independent of the State Medical
Society. The old society did not die, though it ran down very low. The
county now has these two medical societies, neither of which is at
present very active.
James Forsee was the first lawyer in
town. He was an eccentric Virginian, and would not be considered a
good lawyer at the present time. Amasa P. Gassier came after him and
was quite an able man, a good judge of law and a successful
practitioner. W. H. Nelson came about this time also. The ablest
lawyer at the Tipton County bar in early years was William Brady. He
had been liberally educated, and, possessing as he naturally did
intellectual ability of a high order, he took the lead in all
important cases. His early death in 185'2 was a serious loss to the
county and to the local legal fraternity. Memorial services were held
in his honor and ordered spread upon the county court records. John
Green came in 1848, from Jefferson (bounty. He was formerly from North
Carolina, his native State. He immediately took the lead, and has been
one of the ablest legal practitioners ever in the county. He served
the county in the State Senate and as Judge of the Common Pleas Court,
and is yet a resident of the county seat and the oldest lawyer of the
Tipton County bar. Joseph A. Lewis came soon after Green, and was a
man of bright intellect. For years he and Green were antagonists in
nearly all the important court cases. Nathan R. Overman was the
successor of the mass of legal business that had been left by the
removal of Mr. Lewis to the capital of the State. Overman and Green
were then the rival lawyers. William Jones came in early, and is yet
in successful practice. Daniel Waugh came late in the sixties, and
soon had all the work he could do. Many others deserve special
mention. Among the lawyers who have resided and practiced in the
county have been James Forsee, William Nelson, A. P. Gassier, William
Brady, John Green, Joseph A. Lewis, N. R. Overman, Daniel Waugh, John
Q. Green, John M. Goar, Aaron P. Thompson, M. Bristow, Charles Swaim,
Frank Trissel, J. T. Cox, John W. Robinson, Noah Parker, Joshna Jones,
Edward Hatfield and the present practitioners, John Green, N. E.
Overman, Daniel Waugh, R. B. Beauchamp, George H. Gifford, John P.
Kemp, M. F. Cox, J. M. Tippen, J. I. Parker, J . N. Waugh, B. Giltner,
J. W. Metlen. W. H. Clark, J. A. Swoveland, Perry Behymer, W. O. Dean,
William Jones and G. F. Isgrig.
In 1848 and 1849, the county was called
upon to vote on %e question of free public schools. The vote of 1848
was as follows: For free schools Cicero, 86; Jefferson, 95; Prairie,
39; Wild Cat, 6; Madison, 47. Total, 273. Against free schools Cicero,
11; Jefferson, 8; Prairie, 35; Wild Cat, 6; Madison 33. Total, 93. The
vote on the same question in 1849 was as follows: For free schools
Cicero, 65; Jefferson, 60; Prairie, 41; Wild Cat, 8; Madison, 25;
Liberty, 2. Total, 201. Against free schools Cicero, 65;
Jefferson, 26; Prairie, 28; Wild Cat, 12; Madison, 48; Liberty, 10.
Total, 189. Does it not seem strange that so many votes should have
been cast against the common school system of today? The present
common school system was founded in 1853, at which time, for 1853
only, the condition of the county school fund from the sale of school
land was as follows:
An early law of the State provided that
certain fines and penalties in each county should be applied, when the
amount had reached $400, toward the erection and maintenance of a
county seminary. As fast as the fund accumulated in Tipton County it
was loaned at interest In June, 1848, the fund amounted to $108.70; in
June, 1849, to $132.20; in June. 1851. to $199.50; and in June, 1852,
to $233.61 Soon after this, by legislative enactment, the fund was
transferred to the common schools.
Another early law of the State provided
that teu per centum of the proceeds of the sale of county lots should
be used to purchase and maintain a county library. A special law of
1845 constituted the couuty board the Library Trustees, aud soon after
this J. S. Kossler was elected Librarian, A. P. Cassler, Clerk, and N.
J. Jackson, Treasurer. In 1846, fifty-five volumes of miscellany were
purchased. Each volume was rented out for 10 cents per quarter. The
library was added to from time to time as the funds admitted. The
total cash receipts from August, 1853, to March, 1857, were $100.51,
of which $55.02 had been expended for books. Probably twice that
amount of receipts had been received previously. At this
time there were about 300 volumes on hand; this number was afterward
increased to nearly 1,000 volumes. The township libraries were first
distributed in about 1855, and finally amounted in the aggregate to
several thousand volumes. These old libraries have lost their
usefulness in this age of newspapers and cheap books.
THE COUNTY PRESS.
In 1855, Drs. Rooker and A. M.
Vickrey, of Tipton, purchased an old-fashioned Franklin press and a
small quantity of type and other printing materials of Mr. Chapman,
of Indianapolis, and commenced issuing a small six-column folio
newspaper of Democratic proclivities, called the Tipton County
Democrat. The material was bought on time, and the first printer was
James Mahaffie, who a year later was succeeded by Archibald Ramsey,
who did more, perhaps, to render the county press successful than
any other man, not even excepting the proprietors of the papers
themselves. Dr. Rooker, quite an able gentleman, assumed the
editorial mantle for about one year, when he permanently retired,
leaving his portion of the indebtedness to be settled by his
partner. In 1857, the name was changed to the Western Dominion, and
about this time O. P. Baird was editor, though the ownership really
remained with Dr. Vickrey. It is stated that Baird bought the
office, but being unable to pay for it, permitted it to go back to
Dr. Vickrey. In 1858, the office was again sold to G. W. Fisher,
under whom the name became the Tipton County Argus. Mr. B. Geltner
was connected with the office in some capacity. In 1859, the office
having run down to low water tide, and the prominent Democrats,
feeling the need of an organ, bought the whole outfit, changed the
name to Tipton County Times, and began issuing the sheet with John
Chambers as principal editor and A. Clark as local editor. Ten
prominent Democrats owned the paper, among whom were John Chambers,
William Stivers, A. J. Redraon, Hugh Dickey, J. V. Cox, A. Clark,
Barcibus Geltner and A. McVickrey. The office at that time was
valued at $400. In 1860, interest in the enterprise so ran down that
the issue was suspended for about six months. Early in 1861, the
issue was resumed, with J. V. Cox at the helm. Mr. Cox wrote "
leaders " about a dozen lines in length, it is said, while the
remainder of the work was done by Archibald Ramsey, the faithful
printer. Late in 1861, Judge N. R. Overman secured an interest in
the sheet, and became " heavy editor," as he humorously remarks, and
" wrote ' leaders ' about a dozen lines in length." Ramsey was still
the local editor and printer, and the paper was still owned by the
company of Democrats, Mr. Overman owning several shares. In 1862,
for partisan reasons, the name of the paper was changed to the
Democratic Union, which circumstance created the impression
throughout the State that the politics had been changed to
Republicanism. But such was far from the case. Early in 1864, the
office was sold to William J. Turpen, who, at the time, was in the
army, and who began writing a series of very interesting letters
from the scenes of war. He was mustered out before the war ended,
changed the name to Tipton County Times, and took personal control
of his paper, which he successfully conducted until 1809, when he
sold out to C. J. Brady and removed to Nashville, Tenn , where he
became connected with another paper, though his subsequent efforts
were far from being -successful. It is stated that in some manner he
so incurred the displeasure of the citizens down there that he was
given so long to leave townand he left. Mr. Brady was fairly
successful with his paper. He put in the first job press ever in the
county. In 1874, he sold out to Judge N. R. Overman, who employed J
. T. Cox to edit the sheet. In the spring of 1875, Emsley A. Overman
bought a half interest in the office, and about this time the first
cylinder power press ever in the county was purchased for about $400
and placed in the office. E. A. Overman became editor and financial
manager. In January, 1876, William Haw bought the office, and
assisted the paper until January, 1877, when, being unable to pay
for the same, he relinquished it, and the office went back to
Overman & Overman. E. A. Overman conducted it then until
September, 1878, when he purchased N. R. Overman's interest and
became sole owner and proprietor. Early in 1880, the office was sold
to P. & J. O. Behymer, by others, but a year later it went back
to E. A. Overman, who continued it until November, 1881, when it
passed to S. Ray Williams, who, in January, 1882, took as a partner
D. A. Alexander. In September, 1882, Mr. Williams retired, leaving
Mr. Alexander sole owner, but about the 1st of April, 1883, the
latter was joined by Jeremiah Fish, who continued with the paper
until May, 1883, when he retired, leaving the Tipton Times as it is
at present. The paper has suffered severely by the numerous changes
of owners, but it has always been an earnest if not an able exponent
of the Democratic party of the county. State and nation. Under
several of the managements it was extremely able ' and bitter, and
at no time has it been in better hands than at present. It enjoys a
large circulation, and a liberal job and advertising patronage.
Early in 1860, S. T. Montgomery founded at Tipton a Republican
sheet, called the Tipton Republican, which was hailed by members of
that party throughout the county with great joy. For a time during
that year, it was the only paper issued in the county. Late in 1860
the office was sold to G. W. Lowby, who issued the paper until
September, 1861, when he enlisted in the army, and soon afterward
the office was sold to satisfy the indebtedness hanging over it on
account of the purchase. Thus ever died that short-lived paper.
In August, 1872, Joel Reece began issuing at Tipton a Republican
paper called the Tipton Enterprise ,with. Frank Ristine, printer. It
was not long ere this paper left the Republican party, going off
with great earnestness on the " Grange movement," but after the
October election in 1874, the sheet died easily, without hope of
In the early spring of 1874, W. J. Turpen and L. H. Emmons issued
the first number of the Tipton Advance, an independent Democratic
newspaper. It continued with a fair degree of success until the
spring of 1870. when it was bought by William Haw and merged in with
The Tipton Republican was started in April, 1876, by John Greeves,
at the solicitation of numerous Republicans, and was at the outset
so poor that the sheet had barely enough type to dress itself in
proper costume for the public eye. After one or two issues, M. W.
Pershing went to Chicago and bought $150 worth of office material,
which he loaned to Mr. Greeves; but about this time a number of
prominent Republicans of the town, concluding that the party should
have a permanent organ at the county seat, purchased the office of
Mr. Greeves and employed M. W. Pershing to edit the paper
temporarily until a permanent editor could be secured. These
Republicans were Daniel Waugh, Park Russell, J. H. Fear, M V. B.
Newcomer. R. B. Beauchamp, S. I. Davis, W. P. Weed, S. Lowby, M.
Rosenthal, J. C. Gregg, William Barlow, H. Mehlig and W. M. Grishaw.
This company owned the office with the exception of the $150 worth
of material purchased by Mr. Pershing. In August, 1876, Mr.
Solonsnook took the office on the same terms under which Mr.
Pershing had issued it, i. e., to maintain its Republicanism and to
have all he could make from the office, the ownership, of course,
still remaining with the company. In October, 1876, J. C. Gregg took
the editorial chair on the same terms and successfullv issued the
paper until August, 1878.
In September, 1878, T. M. Smith started a Greenback and Republican
campaign sheet, subscription price 25 cents for the campaign. Mr.
Smith was the Greenback editor and Mr. Pershing the Republican
editor of this sheet, which died suddenly and permanently after the
campaign. It was called the Advocate. In October, Mr. Pershing was
ao-ain placed at the editorial head of the Republican by the
company, the issue continuing the number and volume of the
Greenback-Republican sheet that had just become defunct. During the
first three months after this the cash receipts were $12.50, but
after that the paper began to " boom. " In six months the paper was
enlarged to a seven-column folio, and at the end of the first year
to an eight-column folio, its present size. Mr. Pershing early
bought the office and is the present editor. The success of the
sheet is unprecedented in the histoiy of the county, and but few men
would have had the courage to continue the issue in the face of the
bitterest obstacles and in the teeth of the severest threats. The
success of the paper is also largely due to the persistent skill
with which the editor unraveled the unlawful depredations of certain
public officials. A large circulation and large office patronage are
Late in the decade of the fifties, a small folio sheet, called the
Car of Progress, was started at Tipton by a Mr. Kelsaw. The paper
antagonized the Democratic- doctrines of that period and became
involved with the Democratic paper on the leading issues of the day,
the principal questions being the extension of slave territory and
the probability of war with the South, with the surrounding
influences. The paper lived only about ninejjmonths.
Early in 1882, J. O. Behymer began issuing at the county seat a
Democratic paper, called the Saturday Express, which was designed to
be the organ of the county Democracy. The paper was issued with fair
success until the early part of 1883, when it became defunct.
Windfall has not been without its newspaper enterprises. In about
May, 1876, Sweet & Fugit established there an independent sheet
called the Windfall News, which was conducted by them for a period
of about one year, when the office was sold to P. & J. O.
Behymer, who issued the paper until the spring of 1880, when it was
discontinued. In the fall of 1876, Sweet & Fugit also issued
there the first number of a monthly paper for children, called Our
Home, which soon attained a circulation all over the United
Statesthe actual circulation eing over 3,000. At the time of the
sale of the News to the Behymer bBrothers, the office of Our Home
went with it, which circumstance terminated the further issue of the
THE TIPTON COUNTY PIONEER SOCIETY.
In September, 1879, a preliminary
meeting of the old settlers of the county was held at the Clerk's
office, pursuant to call, Jud ge John Green being elected President
and John Lang Secretary. The following old settlers, with their
respective ages, were present: Joseph Puntney, eighty; Peter Hough,
eighty-nine; John Green, seventy-two; Thomas Murphey, seventy-two; D.
F. Hutto, seventy; James Egler, seventy-six; George Baldwin,
sixty-nine; Squire Hill, seventy; John Long, sixty-seven; John
Burkhart, sixty-five; Alexander Pennock, sixty-two; John McVay,
sixty-five; Thomas Cole, sixty-seven; Boston Day, sixty-five; Samuel
Louck, sixty- one; D. J. Caldwell, sixty; D. M. Hill, seventy- four;
John Evans, sixty-five; W. S. Bunch, sixty-six; Joseph Oram,
seventy-two; Frederick Snyder, seventy-one; S. Patten, seventy -eight;
Jesse Stone, seventy six; Martin Kleyla, sixty-five; Barbara Kleyla,
sixty- four; and Elizabeth Carr, seventy- three. After the
organization the society adjourned, to meet again at the court house
on September 25, 1879, at 10 o'clock A .M. On the 4th of July, 1880,
the society again met at Green's grove, on which occasion the leading
address was delivered by Hon. John Green, and a constitution and
by-laws were adopted. A most enjoyable time was passed. In the
succeeding September, the following additional members were secured:
Silas Blount, aged seventynine; Thomas Lemon, sixty-nine; Barbara
Blount, seventy; B. Grason, sixty-five; E. M. Sharp, seventy-two; C.
S. Samuels, sixty-one; Isaac Shaw, seventy-two; Susan Samuels, sixty;
N. I. Springer, sixty-nine; Ralph Shelton, sixty-eight; C. Philip,
sixty-five; Rebecca Coff, seventy-one; H, S. Clark, sixty- four; C.
Barlow, sixty-nine; James Bosey, sixty-two; M. Baldwin, sixty; Naoma
Lakey, seventy-one; A. S. Mott, seventy; Levi Lakey, ; Thomas Rarey,
seventy; Felix Drayestren, eighty-two; B. Richardson, seventy-six: J.
T. Hancock, sixty -six, Elizabeth Richardson, sixty-three; Milton
Mozingo, seventy-four; Elizabeth Whisler. sixty-two; Mary Caldwell,
sixty-four; Nancy Long, sixtyfour; Elizabeth Clark, sixty-eight; R.
Tucker, sixty-five; Harrison Dunn, sixty-three; Squ.ire Tucker,
seventy-two; J. M.Thompson, sixty-nine; John Bunday, sixty-seven; H.
M. Henderson, seventy- three; and S. P. Martinsdale, fifty-nine. The
old officers were re elected for the following year, and the meeting
adjourned to meet again July 4, 1881, when a large "turnout" assembled
to enjoy the occasion. Many others joined whose names cannot be given.
The President reported the names of those who had died since the last
meeting. Annual meetings are held, eloquent speakers are secured to
entertain the old people, and long reviews of the past are socially
talked over. The present officers are John Green, President; R. AV.
Wright, Secretary; John Long, Treasurer; Vice Presidents, Silas
Blount, Green Lilly, J. P. Thomas, Boston Day, Riley Suit, Thomas Cole
and Elisha Pickering. Meetings of old settlers were held as long ago
as 1856, but as the proceedings were not preserved, no facts can be
TIPTON COUNTY POLITICS.
The first Presidential election held in
the county was in 1844. the same year the county was organized. Before
that, it is true, in 1840, when the county was yet attached to
Hamilton County, the citizens were called upon to vote either for the
Whig candidate, Harrison, or the Democratic candidate. Van Biiren; but
although the court house at Noblesville was ransacked by the writer,
the result of this election in the townships of Tipton County could
not be found. In 1844, the question before the people was the probable
future application of Texas for admission into the Union. The
Democratic party highly favored the admission, mainly upon the ground
of an increase of slave territory, while the Whig opposed the measure
for an opposite reason. The campaign was conducted with great spirit,
approaching in many places extreme parti -san bitterness, but the
Democratic party proved victorious, and afterward, early in the spring
of 1845, before John Tyler had retired from the Presidential chair,
Texas was formally admitted into the Union. The full vote in Tipton
County in November, 1844, was as follows: Democrat, for Polk and
DallasMadison, 32; Jefferson, 23; Cicero. 35; Prairie, 29; total.
119. Whig, for Clay and FrelinghuysenMadison, 20; Jeiferson. 26;
Cicero, 29; Prairie, 25; total, 100. The county took a Democratic
stand at the start, though there was little or no excitement over the
contest. In 1845, David Wilmot, of Pennsylvania, introduced a bill
into Congress prohibiting slavery in the newly acquired territoiy of
Texas. This was followed by protracted debates of the most fiery
intensity, and the partisan spirit of the whole country was stirred as
it had never been before. Many of the hot speeches then delivered in
Congress are the most perfect specimens of American eloquence and
oratory in existence. A Free- Soil party was organized, and although
the bill was finally defeated, the issues which it incited were
carried into the campaign of 1848, and the new party placed a ticket
in the field. The election in Tipton County in November, 1848,
resulted as follows:
Mr. Lincoln was reelected, which was a
ratification of his administration and a declaration in favor of a
continuance of the war, and extensive preparations to conclude the
unnatural civil strife were speedily carried into effect The spring of
1865 saw the war end. and saw the lamented assassination of President
Lincoln and the transfer of the Executive Department of the Government
to the Vice President, Mr. Johnson. Considerable trouble arose in regard
to the reconstruction of the Southern States, which resulted in an
effort to impeach the President, the effort failing by but one vote. The
question of reconstruction was before the country in 1868, the following
being the result of the election in Tipton County, November, 1868: