Vanderburgh County, Indiana
Genealogy and History

Back

Vanderburgh County continued

Vanderburgh County was formed 1 Feb 1818 from Gibson, Posey, and Warrick Counties. It was named for Capt. Henry Vanderburgh (1760 - 1812), a Revolutionary War veteran and the judge for the Indiana Territory. There are 8 Civil Townships: Armstrong, Center, German, Knight, Perry, Pigeon, Scott and Union, and the County Seat is at Evansville. The county is located in south-west Indiana, bordering Posey County to the west, and Warrick County to the east. To the south, the Ohio River divides the county with Henderson County, Kentucky. "An historical and descriptive sketch of Vanderburgh can be but little else than of Evansville. The county has but few attractions outside of that city." "Colonel Hugh McGary (1783-1844), of Kentucky, settled on the site of Evansville in 1812, erecting a log house; the first white man's dwelling in that section. At the time, there was an Indian village, of the Shawanoe [sic] tribe, near Pigeon creek." "In 1816 and 1817, Gen. Robert M. Evans, and James W. Jones, united with Col. McGary, and established the town on an enlarged plan. They purchased additional land, and made some general preparations for improvements." According to the 2000 U.S. Census, the population of the county was 171,922.