Welcome To Genealogy Trails


Vermillion County Indiana
Historical Markers
Indiana (Vermillion County), Cayuga 83.1960.1 Harrison's Crossing November 3, 1811
100 yards south, Harrison's Army crossed the Big Vermillion at sunrise, having just built Boyd's Blockhouse, enroute to the Prophet's Town at the mouth of the Tippecanoe to disperse the Indians there assembled.

Inscription. 100 yards south, Harrison's Army crossed the Big Vermillion at sunrise, having just built Boyd's Blockhouse, enroute to the Prophet's Town at the mouth of the Tippecanoe to disperse the Indians there assembled.
 
Erected 1960 by the Society of Indiana Pioneers in cooperation with the Vermillion County Historical Society and the Harrison Trail Commission. (Marker Number 83.1960.1.)
 
Location. 39 57.905′ N, 87 27.035′ W. Marker is near Cayuga, Indiana, in Vermillion County. Marker is on Indiana Route 63 0.2 miles north of Indiana Route 234, on the right when traveling north.
Marker is near North Vermillion High School. Marker is in this post office area: Cayuga IN 47928, United States of America.


Indiana (Vermillion County), Dana Ernie Pyle - - Home
Ernie Pyle State Historic Site
Inscription. Ernie Pyle
State Historic Site
 
Erected by Indiana State Museum Historic Site.
 
Location. 39 48.271′ N, 87 29.703′ W. Marker is in Dana, Indiana, in Vermillion County. Marker is at the intersection of Indiana Route 71 and Briarwood Avenue, on the left when traveling north on State Route 71. 
On the North/West Corner just as you enter Dana from the South. Marker is in this post office area: Dana IN 47847, United States of America.


Indiana (Vermillion County), Dana Replica of Ernie Pyle Monument Ernie Pyle Road-Side Park
At this spot the 77th Infantry Division lost a Buddy. Ernie Pyle 18 April, 1945 This is a replica of the original built at Ie Shima by the 1118 Engineer Combat Group United States Army.
Inscription. At this spot the 77th Infantry Division lost a Buddy.

Ernie Pyle
18 April, 1945

This is a replica of the original built at Ie Shima by the 1118 Engineer Combat Group United States Army.
 
Erected by Ernie Pyle Memorial Inc., an organization of Ernie's Friends and Neighbors.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Markers with Artwork marker series.
 
Location. 39 47.824′ N, 87 27.19′ W. Marker is near Dana, Indiana, in Vermillion County. Marker is on U.S. 36 2.2 miles east of Indiana Route 71, on the right when traveling west. 
Marker is located in Ernie Pyle Road-Side Park - a full road side park off U.S. 36, complete with picnic tables, pavilion, play ground equipment, and a (walking) covered bridge.
Marker is in this post office area: Dana IN 47847, United States of America.



Indiana (Vermillion County), Eugene 83.1995.2 Eugene Covered Bridge
County commissioners ordered (1873) to replace unsafe bridge over Big Vermillion River at Eugene. Built 1873 by Joseph J. Daniels, Rockville: Burr truss design, 180 foot span, using existing abutments.
Closed to vehicle traffic, 1974. Listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1994.
Inscription. County commissioners ordered (1873) to replace unsafe bridge over Big Vermillion River at Eugene. Built 1873 by Joseph J. Daniels, Rockville: Burr truss design, 180 foot span, using existing abutments. Closed to vehicle traffic, 1974. Listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1994.
 
Erected 1995 by Indiana Historical Bureau. (Marker Number 83.1995.2.)
 
Location. 39 58.117′ N, 87 28.394′ W. Marker is near Eugene, Indiana, in Vermillion County. Marker can be reached from North Main Street. 
ollow North Main Street from Cayuga through the Village of Eugene. At Eugene's north end is the Covered Bridge Restaurant.
The bridge is behind the restauraunt. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5787 North Main Street, Cayuga IN 47928, United States of America.


Indiana (Vermillion County), Hillsdale 83.1997.1 The Hillsdale Steps
Hillsdale platted 1872. Railroads were instrumental in town's development. Businesses located near depot at base of hill; residential areas were built on side and top of hill.
Concrete steps were constructed 1903 by John H. Self to facilitate access to town areas. These "stone" steps provide a scenic connection with the community's past.

Indiana (Vermillion County), Newport 83.1995.1 Newport Covered Bridge
County commissioners ordered (1885) as link across Little Vermillion River at Newport & Quaker Point Free Gravel Road.
Built 1885 by Joseph J. Daniels, Rockville: Burr truss design, 180 foot span, sandstone abutments.
Floor replaced, 1984. Listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1994.
Inscription. County commissioners ordered (1885) as link across Little Vermillion River at Newport & Quaker Point Free Gravel Road.
Built 1885 by Joseph J. Daniels, Rockville: Burr truss design, 180 foot span, sandstone abutments. Floor replaced, 1984. Listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1994.
 
Erected 1995 by Indiana Historical Bureau. (Marker Number 83.1995.1.)
 
Location. 39 53.456′ N, 87 25.97′ W. Marker is near Newport, Indiana, in Vermillion County.
Marker is on County Road 50 (AKA: Hopkins Street) 0.6 miles from Indiana Route 63, on the right when traveling west.
From State Road 63 turn West onto County Road 50 (aka: Hopkins Street):: opposite direction from Newport. Stay on winding blacktop.
You can Drive over this bridge. Marker is in this post office area: Newport IN 47966, United States of America.

Indiana (Vermillion County), Newport Vermillion County Courthouse
Vermillion County was created by an act of the State Legislature January 2, 1824.
On this site the first Courthouse was erected in 1825 at the cost of $345.00.
The present structure was built in 1924.
This plaque placed in 1974 in Honor of Vermillion County's one hundred and fiftieth Anniversary.
Inscription. Vermillion County was created by an act of the State Legislature January 2, 1824.
On this site the first Courthouse was erected in 1825 at the cost of $345.00. The present structure was built in 1924.

This plaque placed in 1974 in Honor of Vermillion County's one hundred and fiftieth Anniversary.
 
Erected 1974 by Vermillion County Sesquicentennial Committee.
 
Location. 39 53.09′ N, 87 24.537′ W. Marker is in Newport, Indiana, in Vermillion County.
Marker can be reached from the intersection of South Main Street and Market Street (Indiana Route 450). 
 Marker is in this post office area: Newport IN 47966, United States of America.

Indiana (Vermillion County), Newport Vermillion County Indiana - - War Memorial
Dedicated to all veterans during war and peace time.
Nothing hurts like being forgotten.
Nothing helps like being remembered.
For those who fight for it, life has a special flavor the protected never know.
Inscription. Dedicated to all veterans during war and peace time.

[Lower - Middle: panel]:
Nothing hurts like being forgotten. Nothing helps like being remembered.
For those who fight for it, life has a special flavor the protected never know.

[Left side panel]:
Colonial Wars
      Genesis
Revolutionary War             1776 - 1783
      Independence Won
Indian Wars                        1788 - 1891
      Fought Indians for Land
War with France                 1798 - 1800
      Undeclared War on the Seas
Barbary War                       1801 - 1816
      Naval War with Barbary Coast Pirates
War of 1812                       1812 - 1815
      Independence Affirmed
Mexican War                      1846 - 1848
Civil War                            1861 - 1865
First Sioux War                  1865 - 1868

[Right side panel]:
Spanish-American War       1898 - 1898
Philipine Insurrection         1898 - 1900
World War I                      1917 - 1918
World War II                      1941 - 1945
Korean War                        1950 - 1953
      The First Limited War
Vietnam War                      1961 - 1975
      The Second Limited War
Marines killed in Beirut
All those killed by terrorism

[Back, left side panel]:
Dedicated to all the women that served in the Armed Forces.
To all the nurses that helped our men come home.
Thank you from all the veterans and their families.

[Back, right side panel]:
People that served from Vermillion County
World War I 365
World War II 1670
Korea 529
Vietnam 552

[The back center panel lists statistics (deaths, prisoners of war, missing in action) for wars from the Revolutionary War throught the Vietnam War. ]
 
Location. 39 53.072′ N, 87 24.537′ W. Marker is in Newport, Indiana, in Vermillion County. Marker is at the intersection of Market Street and South Main Street, on the leftwhen traveling east on Market Street. 
 Located at the Southeast corner of the Court House grounds.
Marker is in this post office area: Newport IN 47966, United States of America.

Indiana (Vermillion County), Newport 83.2001.1 Vermillion County Jail
First county jail built 1828 of logs at southwest corner of court-house lawn.
Second jail built 1836 of brick.
Third jail and sheriff's residence built 1868 of brick in Italianate Style.
This 1868 structure became sheriff's residence only, when jail addition built 1896 of rusticated stone in Romanesque Revival Style.
Facility ceased operation 1992. Structure owned by Vermillion County Historical Society since 1992. Listed in National Register
Inscription. (Side One): First county jail built 1828 of logs at southwest corner of court-house lawn. Second jail built 1836 of brick. Third jail and sheriff's residence built 1868 of brick in Italianate Style. This 1868 structure became sheriff's residence only, when jail addition built 1896 of rusticated stone in Romanesque Revival Style.

(Side Two): Facility ceased operation 1992. Structure owned by Vermillion County Historical Society since 1992. Listed in National Register of Historic Places 1999.
County jails were first established in 1792 under laws of the Northwest Territory; they continued under laws of Indiana Territory and State Constitutions of 1816 and 1851.
 
Erected 2001 by Indiana Historical Bureau and Vermillion County Indiana Historical Society. (Marker Number 83.2001.1.)
 
Location. 39 53.07′ N, 87 24.416′ W. Marker is in Newport, Indiana, in Vermillion County. Marker is at the intersection of East Market Street and South George Street, on the left when traveling east on East Market Street.
Marker is east of Highway 63, one block past the Court House. Marker is at or near this postal address: 220 East Market Street, Newport IN 47966, United States of America.

Source: Data Contributed to Genealogy Trails by Al Wolf



Return To The Main Index Page for Vermillion County