Sunday afternoon in North Terre Haute was the time to go to Elm drove and watch the Grays and later the Rockets play ball. Admission was not charged: a hat was passed about the seventh inning and whatever was collected was split between the two teams: umpires were chosen from among the spectators. There were no bleachers: fans sat on the hillside along the third base line. After the lake was made at Elm Grove, the Rockets played on a diamond at the
Otter Creek Men's Club. Local merchants supported the Grays and Rockets with funds for uniforms and equipment. Until the mid-1950s (except during World War II), when youth baseball became popular, small communities all over the Wabash Valley had their own adult teams: many had colorful names, such as the Clinton Mikes; Brazil Jitneys; Carbon Kalamazoo Bricks and the Saline City Neversweats.
The North Terre Haute Grays of 1929 were
(kneeling) Harry Strohl; K.O. Jones;
Tom Goda: Jay Carter: Jesse Monroe.
(standing) Warren ""Bones" Sturm;
Lawrence "Bus" King; Joe Goda;
Charles Killion; "Brick" Haynes; Ray
Brown; "Bus" Higginboltom, Theodore
Haase, the manager.
The Ellsworth Greys, organized as early as 1908. preceded the North Terre Haute Grays. Burnett and Alherton also had baseball teams from time to time.
The Rockets was the North Terre Haute team name of the late 1940s. Team members in 1950 were
(front) Bat Boy Glenn
(kneeling) John Sturm; Jim
Easthom; Tex Black;
"PeeWee" Kalber; Charles
(standing) Ernie Sturm;
Ralph "Duke" Jones; Jerry
Keyes: Bill Britton; Jack
Houpt; Dick Yowell: Max
Compton. coach. Charles
Source: Murial White