Wayne County, Indiana
township was formed in August, 1817, and comprises an area of about 49
miles. It is 9 miles in length, north and south. Its average breadth is
less than 5 1/2 miles, being on the north line 3 1/2 miles, and on the
south about 6 3/4 miles. It is watered, principally, by Noland's Fork
and its branches. The main branch of the stream enters the township
near the northeast corner, and passes through it to the south-west
corner. It derives its name from Daniel
Noland, the first settler in
its valley, about four miles south-west from Centerville, now in the
township of Washington.
the earliest settlers in the township were those who first settled on
this stream. They were the following: Isaac Julian, on the land now
owned by Oliver H. Brumfield, 11/2 miles south-west of Centerville. Mr.
Julian's cabin was, in the time of the Indian alarms, altered to a
block-house. In this house, which stood a little below Ephraim
Merritt's present residence, his first three children were born. Nathan
Overman settled near and west of town, the land now owned by Wm. S. T.
Morton. Henry Bryan, Wm. Hosier, Robert Culbertson, Greenburg
Cornelius, some of the Kings, and others, also settled in this valley.
Ascending the valley of the creek, on the west side
from the south-west corner of the township, were the following, not all
of whom, however, were among the earliest settlers in the township:
David J. Woods, who built a grist-mill and a sawmill. A saw-mill is
still continued there by Robert Delap. James_______,
on the land now owned by S. Neff. Thomas McCoy, from Kentucky, who had
settled, with Holman and others, in 1805, a few miles south of
Richmond, and who re-moved, in 1813, to this township, where his sons
John and Morgan now reside. Joseph W. Jackson, now next north, was an
early settler, and near there, Jacob Hyers, who died in Madison county.
Wm. Crawford, where now Richard G. Charman lives. Crawford also manufactured
whiskey on a small scale, and was, probably, the first distiller in the
county. Caleb Jackson, where his son Caleb B. Jackson now resides.
Greenbury Cornelius, in 1811, on the land belonging to the present
county asylum. Wm. Harvey, on the quarter east of the above. John
Harvey, from North Carolina, on land now owned by the heirs of John P.
Harvey. Robert Commons, from Virginia, settled, in 1813, where he
died December 19, 1837, aged 90 years; the place now owned by John
Myers. James Townsend, from South Carolina, on land now owned by
Melinda King. Joseph Holman, on the land now owned by Wm. Q. Elliott.
Axium Elliott, from North Carolina, three miles north
from Centerville; land now owned by Mark Elliott's heirs. Robert
Galbraith, where Joseph A. Commons resides, four miles north from town.
John Copeland, first, afterward Daniel King, from
Kentucky, about 1816, near where he now lives. His son Levi now
lives on the homestead. Robert Culbertson, from
Kentucky, in 1815, on land lately owned by Leonard Wolfert, now by
Lorenzo D. King. He lives with his son William, four miles north of
Centerville. Edward Benbo, on the land now owned by the heirs of
Jackson Culbertson. Walter Roberts, from South Carolina, son of Thomas
Roberts, an early settler near Richmond, settled, in 1816, where he now
lives. John Stigleman, where his son Henry now resides. Joseph
Overman, from North Carolina, about 1813, where he still resides, in
the north-east part of the township. Michael Harvey, from North
Carolina, in the north-east part of the township, where his sons
about 1812, where hie son John resides. John Elwood, from Delaware,
where his son Levi lately lived.
Descending on the east
side of the stream, we mention Jacob Griffin, from North
Carolina, about 1813, who settled two miles north from town, on land
now owned by his son Joshua and Walter G. Stevens. John Maxwell, from
Tennessee, a blacksmith and farmer, about 1814, where his son John M.
lately resided; the land since sold to James Dunbar, from Abington in
1844, who died in 1869, aged 48, and now owned by his heirs. John King,
from Kentucky, entered, about 1812, the land since owned by his son
Joseph, now by Joseph's heirs. Joseph Cook settled on
land now owned by James Russell. Jehu Wickersham, in 1816, on land now
owned by Oliver T. Jones [not where 0. T. J. resides]. John Garrett,
where Joseph J. King resides. Wm., Hosier, from North Carolina, in
1811, on the quarter section now owned and occupied by David Commons,
and on which he lives. Robert Harvey, from North Carolina, on the
adjoining quarter north, also now owned by David Commons. Wm. Sumner,
from Virginia, near town, sold to John King, now owned by Jackson King,
his youngest son. His other sons were James W. D., Wm. S., Joseph, and
Presley. All settled in the township, west and north-west of the town.
Wm. Sumner also owned the land on which Centerville stands. Israel
Elliott settled on the land lately owned by Norris Jones, near town.
James Junkins, afterward Elisha King, on the land now owned by George
Houck. Robert Black, on land now owned by his widow and sons. Henry
Bryan, a native of Delaware, removed from Pennsylvania, in 1811, to the
farm on which he died, now owned by the heirs of Wm. Gentry, near the
south-west corner of the township. He was the first county surveyor.
In the south part of the
township, Isaac Williams settled on land afterward owned by Samuel
McConnaha, now by Thomas McConnaha, his son. David Galbraith and his
son John, where Jacob Wagoner lived; land now owned by Joshua Eliason.
Nathaniel Bell, from Kentucky, one mile south of town, where Martin U.
Eliason lives. Daniel Crow, a native of North Carolina, two miles south
from town, where he still resides, his youngest son, Jacob, living with
him. His other sons are, Stephen, in Washington township; Ashford and
Jacob, on the homestead ; Nelson, in Boston township.
John Smith, son of John Smith, an early proprietor
of Richmond, settled one and a half miles south-east from town, on land
afterward owned by Paul Frazier, now by his heirs. Wm. Bundy settled
where, at the age of 84 years, he still lives with his son-in-law, Amos
Haines. Peter and Zachary Dicks, from North Carolina, about 1812, three
miles southeast from town on land now owned by their heirs. Beale
Butler, in the south-east part of the township; the land now the
property of Isam Smelser and Stephen Farlow. Butler was a judge and a county
commissioner. John Jones, from Virginia, three miles south from town,
where he still lives, at the age of 82 years. He was several times
elected to the legislature, and is a highly respected citizen.
In the east part
of the township, John C. Kibbey, from New Jersey, settled at Salisbury,
and owned considerable land there, a part of which is now owned by John
P. Voss. Jeremy Mansur, from Massachusetts, settled at Salisbury. He
was a blacksmith, and famed as an ax-maker; was afterward a farmer.
Parts of the farm are now owned by Joseph C. Ratliff and Thomas Wyatt.
Joseph Kem, early on section 15, the section now owned by Joseph 0.
Ratliff, James Forkner, T. & J. Miller. Kem resides in Richmond.
Isaac Miller settled on the east line of the township, on lands on and
near which he arid his sons, A. J., James A., L. D., David, and Oliver
reside. Richard Pedrick, (probably not the first,) where are now Thomas
and J. Roberts. James E. Bryant, on land early owned by Thomas Aired.
Vinnedge Russell and Richard Pedrick, on the section  on which John
M. Eliason and others reside. Wm.. Culbertson, on land first improved
George Vinnedge. Thomas Culbertson and Richard Cheese-man, early, where
Presley, Caleb W., and Lorenzo D. King reside, on and near Poland's
Fork. Joseph Overman, where he still lives, and his son Emsley. Wm,
Thornburg, from Virginia, in 1810, to Wayne, and thence in 1816 to
Center, near the north line, and near where his son Walter resides. He
died near Indianapolis in 1841, aged 64.
In the west part of
the township, Jacob Brooks, a native of Virginia, from Ohio in 1827,
settled, where he lately lived, on the township line; now lives on
section 22, north side of the National road. _____Conover,
also on the west line; land now owned by Wm. Conover,
first settled by John Woodward. Charles Canaday, early, where David B.
Beeson resides. James Martin, from North Carolina, where his son James
B. resides. Samuel Parker, where Henry Gates resides. Jehu Wickersham,
(not the Jehu Wickersham before mentioned,) settled where Eli Cook
lives. Philip Kitterman, (not the first settler,) where his heirs
reside. Ezekiel Commons, in 1813 or 1814, where James Black
resides. Daniel Stone, afterward James Neal, a farmer,
blacksmith, and innkeeper, on the land now owned by J. & C. Starr.
John Hill, from North Carolina, about 1814, on the land now owned by
Wm. Norman's heirs. Peter Edwards, from North Carolina, on land now
owned by Jesse and Stephen Homey. Francis Coffin, from North Carolina,
on section 11, the land now owned chiefly by Cyrus, Dorelis, and Hiram
Huff. John King, from Kentucky, settled, in 1828, where widow Sarah
King lives. He died in 1859, aged 75. Mark Elliott came from North
Carolina, with his father, Exum Elliott, and settled in the north-west
part of the township, near where he died in 1858, aged 44, on the place
where his widow lives. His son William, who married Rebecca, daughter
of Joseph Jackson, now lives near his mother. Sarah E., daughter of
Mark Elliott, married Marion J. Barr.
Benj. Maudlin, from North Carolina, in 1807, to
Wayne township, and in 1813 to Center, two and a half miles north of
Centerville; removed to Michigan about 1835, where he died. His son
John married Rebecca Elliott, and lives three miles north-west from
town. Mark, his son, resides two miles northwest from town. John W.
Tindale, from Ohio, in 1840, settled in Green, and in 1854, where he
now resides, in the north part of Center. Joseph Palmer, from Virginia,
in 1829, settled south of Centerville; his son Daniel now lives in
Center, one and a half miles west of Dover.
James Thompson, a native of New Jersey, removed from
Ohio to the place now occupied by his son-in-law, Wm. Frame. He died in
1869, aged 76 years. His son William lives on land adjoining on the
west. Lewis Forkner, from North Carolina, settled in Centerville
in 1817, and died in 1824. His son James is a merchant in Centerville.
The first Saw-mill
in the township was built by Asa Provo, about the year 1817, on
Noland's Fork, three miles north of Centerville. Another, about a mile
below, by John Copeland, about the same time. Robert Harvey, another,
on the same stream, one and a half miles north-west from town, on the
present site of the mills of David Commons. Axum White built a saw-mill
above Harvey's, afterward owned by Norris Jones, since rebuilt by
Daniel Shank; no mill is now
Another was built by Nathan Overman, about 1827, one mile west of town;
and another below that, by Nathan Hollingsworth, where one is still
running. A steam saw-mill was built in 1868, in the east part of the
town, by Lyman & Haines.
The first Grist-mill
[corn-cracker] was built about 1816, by James Crawford, one mile
south-west of town. It was after-ward owned by Jacob Wolf, who run it
ten or fifteen years, and sold it to Jacob Crull, Jun., who rebuilt it,
and sold it to Nathan Hollingsworth, who also improved it, and run it
about twenty years; and after passing through the hands of several
owners, it came into the possession of its present proprietors, ___ Clark and John P. Smith.
Robert Harvey built a cheap mill near his saw-mill, sold
it to David Commons, who built in its place a first-class
flouring-mill, which he thoroughly repaired in 1869. David J. Woods
built a grist-mill and a saw-mill in the south-west corner of the
township. A sawmill is continued there by Robert Delap. A steam
flouring-mill was built about ten years ago by Wm. Platt, and fell into
the hands of Norris Jones, who sold it to John Latshaw. It was
afterward destroyed by fire. Another was built in its place, but is not
running at present.
was built by Nathan Overman, one mile west of Centerville, believed to
have been the only one ever in the township.
Among the early Blacksmiths,
perhaps the first in the township, was John Maxwell, about two miles
north of town. Jeremy Mansur, the famed ax-maker, settled in Salisbury.
There were few of the old settlers who were not supplied by him with
that indispensable article, of a superior-quality.
supposed to have been the first in the township, was established by
Robert Galbraith, three miles north from Centerville. John Lewis built
one in town about 1818.
Town of Centerville.
This is the oldest town in the county of Wayne. The ground was a
donation from Israel Elliott and Ethan A. Stone, of Cincinnati. It was
laid out by the trustees, Isaac Julian, Joseph Holman, and Wm.
Harvey. The survey,
made by Henry Bryan, is dated
October 20,1814, and certified by the trustees, Jan. 2,1815. Additions
were made to the plat, as follows: By Joseph Evans, March, 1818; by Lot
Pugh, Micajah T. Williams, and Arthur Henrie, June 1,1818; by Wm.
Sumner, Jan. 21, 1819; by ¥m, M. Doughty and Wm. Elliott, Dec.
14,1830; by Israel Abrahams, Dec, 1833. The cemetery was laid out by
the trustees in May, 1849. Certain lots were specially appropriated for
the burial of colored people.
The first Innkeeper in Centerville is said to have
been Rachel JSTeal. Other early keepers of public houses were Wm.
Vaughan, Levi M. Jones, and Samuel Hannah. The present one is T. L.
Rowan, proprietor of the American House. He is a son of Henry Rowan,
who, since 1835, was most of the time a resident of Centerville, until
his death, in 1869.
The first Blacksmith in Centerville is supposed to
have been Isaac Forkner. Lewis Burk, now of Richmond, and Frederic
Dillon, came soon after.
Edward Benbo, Daniel Lantz, and Wm. Hill were early
Wagon-makers. The present is John Lantz.
Carriage-maker, John Houck. Jacob N. Booker was
probably the first Hatter. George Troxell and Wm. Widup also were early
hatters. There was in those days in almost every hamlet a hatter, who
supplied the inhabitants as generally with hats of his own
manufacture as the cooper, or the wagon-maker, or the
cabinetmaker did with his fabrics. Few hats were seen in country
stores except such as had been taken of the village hatter in exchange
for store goods. Men's and boys' hats for common wear were made of
wool. For " Sunday wear," the wool bodies were covered with fur, and
resembled the silk hats of the present time.
Early Cabinet-makers were ____Hiatt, Wm. L. Reynolds, Hiram E. Hurlbut.
Martin Hornish and John Chapman were, perhaps, the
first Shoemakers. Those at present engaged in the making and sale of
boots and shoes in this town, are Alfred Lashly, Scott & Strayer,
The first Tailor was Charles F. Heed, and after him
were John E. Dunham, Matthew W. Jack, ¥m. B. Hornish.
Early Carpenters were Jesse Willetts, Jacob Hornish.
The first Merchant in Centerville who kept a
considerable stock and general assortment of goods, is said to have
been Samuel P. Booker. He had, however, been preceded by Lawrence H. Brannon and Caleb
Lewis, in partnership, with a small lot, to supply the more pressing
needs of the early inhabitants. Next to Booker was James Blair, in
1823, and soon
after, Israel Abrahams, from Washington township, in which he had kept
the first store, about three miles east of Milton. Among those who came
within a few years afterward were Isaac Burbank, about 1824,
Richard Cheeseman, Lot Bloomfield, Thomas Commons, and Jesse Williams.
The following named persons are known to have traded here in the years mentioned, some of
them, perhaps, earlier as well as later: In 1838, Myers Seaton, Snyder
& Adams, Jacob Fisher, A. W. Ray & Co. In 1839, Holman &
Ray, Hannah & Newman. In 1840, J. & H.
Purviance & Co., Isaac Burbank. In 1841, Elmer & Forkner, Wm.
B. Hornish, Richard II. Swain. In 1844, Wm. Arnold. Present merchants: Dry Goods— Isaac Burbank,
James Forkner, Wm. S. T. Morton, John B. Vanaernam, Samuel C.
C. Leeson, C. Failor & Co., Michael
L. Hornish, Bowers,
Fletcher Medaris. Druggists—Pritchett &
Dickey, John E. Pugh.
The first Physician residing in Centerville was
David F. Sacket, from Salisbury, where he had also served the county as
recorder. Next came Dr. Ira Pier, after whom, Drs. John C. Cruise, Wm.
Pugh, Isaac V. Dorsey, John Pritchett, and others. Present
physicians—John Pritchett, Wm. Dickey, Wm. F. King, Calvin Wood, John
The first Lawyer is supposed to have been Bethuel
Morris, from Virginia, in 1818 or 1819. He removed to Indianapolis ;
was for many years a circuit judge, and the president of a
bank. He died there at an advanced age.
James Rariden commenced practice in Centerville
about the year 1820, and continued it there about fifteen years. Cyrus
Finch, from about 1824, and died there about 1828. Martin M. Ray came in 1827;
was a good lawyer, removed to Indianapolis, where he died. John S.
Newman commenced practice in 1828; removed to Indianapolis in 1860,
where he now resides. John B. Stitt practiced here several years,
removed west, and died about a year ago.
Charles H. Test came to Centerville in 1838; now
resides at Indianapolis. Jacob B. Julian commenced in 1839. George W.
Julian was admitted in 1841. Jesse P. Siddall commenced practice at
Centerville in 1842 or 1843, and was for many years a law partner of
John S. Newman. Michael Wilson commenced practice here in 1842. Thomas
Means in 1843. Present practicing lawyers, Jacob B. Julian, Michael
Wilson, Wm. A. Peele, John F. Julian, Thomas J.
Study, S. C. Whitesell,
John L. Rupe, Henry C. Fox, Walker.
National Bank of Centerville was established in 1863. Its
stockholders were Jacob B. Julian, Oliver T. Jones, Joseph W. Jackson,
David Commons, Joshua Eliason, Jesse Cates, Jeremiah W. Swafford, Wm.
Culbertson, Alexander Cheeseman, Jos. C. Ratliff, Philip Jenkins, James
Forkner, George W. Julian, and others. Oliver T. Jones was chosen
President; Benj. L. Martin, Cashier. The latter declined, and J. P.
Southard was elected. After a few months, Jacob B. Julian was elected
President, and Oliver T. Jones, Cashier. Since then no change has been
made in its officers. Its capital is $100,000.
The Machine Shop
and Saw-mill in Centerville was built by Wharton Lyman, Norris
Jones, and others, about the year 185-. It is now
owned by Fulghum.
The Engine House
and Town Hall building was erected in 1858, by Norris Jones, who
also built the Odd Fellows' building the same year. Perhaps no man has
done more to improve the place than Mr. Jones.
The history of Newspapers
published at Centerville, as given in preceding pages, was condensed
from a sketch in the True Republican
of Nov. 12, 1863, and terminated with the discontinuance of the Wayne County Chronicle in 1864, and
the removal of the press and types to Cambridge. Since the sheets
containing that history passed through the press, the following supplement has
been received, which is not in-appropriately inserted in this place :
In 1866, John and James Bromagem commenced The Union in Centerville, and
published it about one year. In 1869, Charles B W. Stevens established
The Republican, and continued
its publication about six months. And the first of July, 1871, R.
J.Strickland revived the Wayne County Chronicle, which is still
published by him at Centerville.
The present Public
School-house was built in pursuance of an act of the
legislature, which authorized the establishment of a County Seminary in
each county, the cost of the building to be paid from the fines
collected therein. In 1827 or 1828, the west wing was built; in 1841 or
1842, the east wing; and about the year 1851, the main building. In
pursuance of a law under the new constitution, the county seminary
buildings throughout the state were sold, and the proceeds put into the
school fund. In 1853, the buildings were bought by the Methodists, who
established a school under the name of Whitewater College, which
was kept up until
1870, when the building was sold to the school
trustees, and is now the public school-house. The
present principal of the school is Edgar A. Brown.
The first Religious
Society in the township was that of the Friends, who, in 1815,
organized the West Grove meeting, about 3 miles north-west from
Centerville, and built a log meeting-house. The society, at its
organization, was com-posed of the families of Robert Commons, Win.
Hastings, James Townsend, Benj. Maudlin, Jacob Griffin, Wm.. Harvey,
Axum Elliott, Obed Barnard, and perhaps Edward Benbo. It was named by
Robert Commons, West Grove, that being the name of the place where he
had resided in Pennsylvania. They met in the woods at the place
selected for the meetinghouse. The following named persons were also
early members, some of them, perhaps, at the time of the
organization: Abraham and Joseph Cook, Jehu Wickersham, John Maxwell,
John Brumfield, John Copeland, John Harvey, Robert Harvey, Charles
Canaday, George Russell, Nathan Overman. Among their early preachers
were Jesse Bond, Hannah Baldwin, and Daniel Williams, who is still
living in Clay. This meeting has been continued until the present time.
A Baptist Church
is said to have been formed early about 3 miles north of Centerville.
Early members were Isaac Cotton, Samuel Taylor, preachers ; John
Stigleman, Joshua Eliason, Richard Cheeseman, Isaac Voorhees, and
others. It long since ceased to exist.
Episcopal Church of Centerville was formed in 1822. In the
absence of early records of the society, recourse could be had only to
the memory of its early members, a few of whom are still living. Among
the members who joined at or near the year of its organization, were
Israel Abrahams, Elisha King, Edward K. Hart, and their wives, Mrs.
Hart, Samuel King, Margaret Ringo, John Scott and wife. Within a few
years after, Mrs. Therese Finch, Alfred Carter and Ephraim J.
Merritt and their wives, Mary Merritt, mother of Ephraim, and Elizabeth
Hart. The first preachers are said to have been Russell Bigelow, George
Gatch, John Strange, and James Havens. Their first meetings were held
in the dwelling of the late Israel Abrahams, nearly opposite the Bank.
In 1828, they built a frame meeting-house north of the present jail.
Their brick house was built in 1842.
Episcopal Church was formed some twenty-five or more years ago,
about 3 1/2 miles north of Centerville, at the present Centerville
Crossing, on the railroad. The particulars of its history have not been
obtained. There is near it a camp ground, on which meetings have been
held for many successive years.
Presbyterian Church was organized in December, 1842, Rev. Le
Roy Woods present and officiating. Members uniting were John B. Stitt,
James Woods, Eliza A. Bolander, Sarah Garthwaite, James H. and Susan
Hudson, Henry Brown, A. F. Dunham, Francis Smith, E. C. Seaton, Mary
Stitt. A little later, Elizabeth Burbank, Margaret Meredith, Wm. B. and
Charlotte Hornish, David and Sarah Dinwiddie, Wm. and Martha McCord,
Adam and Eve Trumbull. For about a year the church had only occasional
service, which was held in the Methodist house. In 1849, their present
house of worship was built, under the superintendence of E. McCord, Wm. McCord,
Adam Trumbull, David Dinwiddie, Wm. Bolander, trustees. Le Roy Woods
was their minister for several years, and was succeeded by Elam McCord.
Rev. Felix G. Black became their minister in 1854; Charles Bond,
March, 1866; Henry D. Onyett, the present pastor, April, 1867. Present
elders—Wm. McCord, Adam Trumbull, Norris Jones. A Sabbath-school is
connected with the church, superintended by the pastor.
Church was organized about the year 1832. A Baptist church had
existed as early, probably, as 1820, among whose members were Jesse
Thomas, Henry Shoemaker, and others, and had commenced the building of
a house of worship in the north part of the town. On the organization
of the Christian church, the Baptists gave up theirs, and most of them
joined the Christians, who proceeded to finish the house, which they
still occupy. Their minister at that time was Daniel
Winder. They have since then been served by Van Buskirk, Samuel
K. Hoshour, and others. Among their early members
were Joshua Eliason, Jesse Thomas, Jehiel Lampson, Judith King, John
Church of Center ville was organized April 14,1866. Present,
Rev. James A. McKee, moderator, and Rev. L. W. Chapman; A. Samson,
clerk. Members—John Mc-Farland and Ann, his wife, Wharton Lyman and Ann
M., his wife, Caroline Dickey, Jane Rowan, Kate Johnson, John M.
Coyner, elder, and Mary W.,his wife, Louisa A. Cunningham, Jane
Doughty, Samuel Wilson, and Mary, his wife, M. Wilson, Elizabeth Young,
Elizabeth Heuston. John McFarland and John M. Coyner were chosen
elders; Wharton Lyman, deacon. Services were on this occasion held in
In May, 1866, Rev. Faunt Le Roy Senour was called as
pastor of the church, and a Sabbath-school was organized; John M. Coyner
chosen super- intendent; Coggshall, assistant superintendent; S.
Wilson, secretary. In June, Snider Hall was rented for a place of
worship for one year. The trustees of the
society were John McFarland, F. V. Snider, Nimrod Johnson, Thomas
Heuston, and the minister, who is a trustee, ex-officio. In
1869, T. J . was elected in the place of Judge Johnson,
deceased. In 1868, their brick church edifice was built. In October,
1867, Samuel Potter and John Smith were chosen elders. Mr. Senour,
after a pastorate of two years, was succeeded by Rev. S. S. Potter, for
about two years; and in May, 1870, Rev. Eben Muse, the present
minister, commenced his labors.
Hosier Lodge, No. 23, .
0. O. F., was organized August 15, 1845. Its charter members were
Francis King, Daniel Lantz, Lazarus Noble, Israel Hannah, Enoch P.
Justice, Milton Hiatt, Jason Ham. Its present officers are John
Pritchett, N. Q.; Henry D. Onyett, V. G.; Henry B. Leeson, Rec. Sec.;
Adam Trumbull, Per. Sec; Jonathan R. Whitacre, Treas. Hiram Lodge, No. 42,
(Masonic,) was organized May, 1847. Its charter members are not now
known. Its officers were Francis King, W. M.; Samuel Boyd, S. W.;
Martin M. Ray, , J. W.; John Pritchett, Sec.
This lodge was
reorganized. June 16, 1870, and is now Hiram Lodge, No. 417. Its
officers are Joseph C. Ratliff, W. M.; Wm. Dickey, S. W.; Elihu M.
Parker, J. W.; John Pritchett, Sec.; Wm. A. Chance, Treas. Its charter
members were Joseph C. Ratliff, Wm. Dickey, Elihu M. Parker, Calvin J.
Woods, Morgan McCoy, John F. Julian, John F. Kibbey, John Pritchett.
LOT BLOOMFIELD, a lawyer,
commenced practice in Center-ville in 1820. He was a good scholar, well
read in general literature, and a man of fine mind, but was
unsuccessful at the bar, withdrew from practice in a few years, and
engaged in mercantile pursuits, in which he was very successful. He
died many years ago in Indianapolis.
SAMUEL P. BOOKER, a
native of Winchester, Virginia, was, as has been stated, one of the
first merchants in Centerville, where he commenced business in 1818 or
1819. He is represented as a man of fine personal appearance, of
pleasing manners, and a shrewd business man. He was successful in
business, dying the wealthiest man of his day in the county. He died
July 19,1823, the day on which he was 44 years of age. His
funeral was largely attended, being the first Masonic burial in the
county; Joseph Holman officiating.
HENRY BRYAN was born on
the Brandy wine, near Wilmington, Delaware. When young, he removed
with his parents to Beaver county, Pennsylvania; and thence he removed
in 1811 to the farm on which he died, two miles south-west of
Center-ville. He was a high-toned gentleman, a fine scholar, and held
the office of county surveyor, from its creation to the time of his
death, in the spring of 1835. His widow yet survives.
STEPHEN COMER, from North
Carolina, settled, first, two miles and a half north-east from
Richmond, and soon after in Center, near Dover. During the Indian
troubles, he fled to the vicinity of Richmond, and returned to his farm
after the pacification of the Indians, where he died in 1850, and
where his son William resides. His children were John, William, Joseph,
James, Rebecca, Stephen, and Mary. John married Elizabeth C. Teagle in
1823, and lived in Green, about a mile from Dover, where he died about
the year 1838. His children are Mary Ann; William, living in Richmond;
Joseph, manufacturer of cutlery, one mile north of Richmond; John,
who resides in Green; and Elizabeth.
ROBERT COMMONS was born
in Ireland in 1748, and removed in infancy with his father's family to
Chester county, Pennsylvania. He was married to Ruth Hayes, and
removed to Western Virginia in 1792, and thence, in 1812, to this
township, a mile and a half north-west from Centerville, where he
resided until his death, December 19, 1837, aged 89 years. He had nine
children: 1. Lydia, who married Adam Davis in Virginia; removed to
North Carolina, and thence, in 1811, to Washington county, Indiana, and
finally to Mercer county, Illinois. 2. Phebe, who married Jesse Bond.
3, Isaac, who came to Whitewater in 1807; married Mary, daughter
of John Townsend, and in 1810 settled seven miles north of Richmond,
now in Franklin township. His children were Jonathan, who married a
Miss Moore, and died near his father's, Hannah, wife of Samuel
Nicholson, in Franklin township. John, married, and now resides in
Union City. Lydia, wife of Daniel Kitselman, Wayne
township. Robert, who married Elizabeth Cook, Wayne
township. Elvira, died unmarried. Joseph, married, and is deceased.
Isaac, who is married, and resides in Richmond. 4. William, son of
Robert, Sen., married Sarah Brady. 5. John married Elizabeth
Mote, of Ohio, and resides at Drakesville, Wapello county, Iowa. 6.
Ezekiel, who married Sarah Julian, and had three sons and three
daughters. Jesse, the only son living, is in Rush
of Hulett, her third husband, lives in Rush county. Elbina, wife of
Allen Hatfield, lives in Hancock county; The other daughter deceased.
Ezekiel Commons died in 1831. 7. Hannah married Greenbury Cornelius in
Virginia; both died in Center, in 1824. They had two sons: George, who
lives in Tipton county; David, in Madison county. 8. Nathan, who
married Martha, daughter of Patrick Beard. Their children, Enos and
Hannah, reside in Mississippi. 9. David, who resides in the
WILLIAM COMMONS, a son of
Robert, was born in Virginia, August 30, 1786, and came to Whitewater
about 1810. He married Sarah Brady in 1815, and settled a mile and a
half north-west from Centerville, and in 1823, one mile north of town,
where now Oliver T. Jones resides. He built the first court-house and
jail, (both of logs,) at Salisbury, and afterward, at Centerville,
the first jail [log] and the present courthouse. He was esteemed
for his moral worth; was a friend to the poor, and ever ready to
contribute to their relief. He died May 23, 1848. His wife died May 24,
1863. They had six sons and six daughters: 1. Ruth, who married Lewis
Jones, a farmer and horticulturist. 2. David B., who died in Kansas. 3.
Rebecca, who married, first, Wm. Beverlin, second, Isaac Lewis, and
lives at Rockville, Parke county. 4,5. Reason and Charity, twins.
Reason married Mary Woods, and removed to Iowa. He and his son Henry
were in the late war. Henry died of sickness in camp; his father, also
sick, died at Louisville, Kentucky, on his way homeward. Charity
married, first, John Wolf, who died in Hancock county; second, Simpson
Chandler, and died in the same county. 6. Eliza, who married Washington
Henderson, who died in the township. 7. Ellen, who married Joseph P.
Boyd, and lives in Mercer county, Illinois. 8.
Nathan, went to California; unmarried; not lately heard from, probably not
living. 9. Robert, married, removed to Iowa; now resides in California.
10. Francena, who married, first, Mallory Norman; second, George
Black leach, and died in the township. 11. Washington, died in infancy.
12. Isaac, married Martha A. Jones, and resides at Anderson.
DAVID COMMONS, the
youngest son of Robert Commons, was born in Western Virginia, July
18,1800, and came with his father to this township in 1812. He was
married in 1824 to Rachel Mote, and had by her two sons: 1. John, who
married Eliza Jane, daughter of John Boyd, and has a son and three
daughters. He is secretary of Gov. Baker, at Indianapolis. 2. Philip
S., who married Hannah Ann, daughter of John Maxwell, and lives in
Vermillion county, Illinois. Mrs, Commons died in 1827. Mr. C. married,
second, Bethana Carter, and had by her five sons and two
daughters: 1. Sarah Ann, who married Thomas Jordan, merchant in
Indianapolis, where she died. 2. William, who died at 19. 3. Isaac L.,
who married Martha, daughter of John Boyd, and resides at Milton. 4.
Robert D., who served three years in the late war in the Eighth
Regiment Indiana Volunteers. He married Olive Jane Harvey, and lives
near his father. 5. Joseph A. married Amanda Beeson, and lives three
miles north of Centerville. 6. Mary U., wife of Ira Izor, and lives in
the township. 7. Walter &, unmarried, at home. Mr. Commons has
held the offices of township trustee and of county commissioner;
and was elected in 1847 and again in 1848, as a representative in the
legislature. In 1838, after the death of his father, he removed to the
farm he had owned for many years, and on which he now resides.
WILLIAM CRAWFORD was born
near Belfast, Ireland, about the year 1745. Before he had arrived at
man's estate he sailed for America, leaving a large prospective
inheritance, which he forfeited by joining the Colonial army, to which
he was attached during the entire Revolutionary struggle. He was
wounded at the battle of Bunker Hill, being stabbed in the shoulder in
the hand to hand fight which followed the giving out of the ammunition
of the Colonial army. He was in Lafayette's command a great part of his
time; and on account
of his activity and
physical strength, as well as his courage, he was selected as the
bearer of messages and the performer of dangerous excursions. He was an
early settler, about two and a half miles south-west from Centerville,
where Richard G. Charman resides. He died December 30, 1826, and was
buried in the Bryan graveyard.
JOSHUA ELIASON was born
in Delaware, and was married to Christina Hucall. He removed to this
county with his family, and settled where Thomas Eliason now lives. He
had by his first wife six children: William, Joshua, Levi, Lydia,
Kitty, and Betsey Ann. After the death of his first wife he married in
Center, Patsey Smithson, and had by her five children: Ebenezer,
Andrew, John, Henry C, and Thomas Clayton, who lives on the homestead,
near the railroad. Four of the sons of Joshua Eliason married and
settled in the township: 1. William, who married Harriet McCollister,
and settled where he now lives. His children are, Levi, who lives in
Iowa; James C, south of his father; John M., northeast of his
father; Andrew J., near his father, north; Martin V., south of
Centerville; Joshua, west of his father; ¥m, C, with his father.
Daughters: Mary Ann, who married Joseph Eperly, and moved to Iowa;
Betsey Ann, who married Wm, King, of Crawfordsville; Sarah Ann, who
married Elijah R. Harvey. 2. Joshua, brother of William,
married Lucinda King, lives a mile east of Centerville, and has a
daughter who married James Beaton, and lives in Indianapolis. 3. Levi,
also a brother of William, married Sarah Smithson, and had two
daughters; the first married Joseph J. King; the second, Thomas Myers,
who served in the war, and lost an arm. 4. Thomas Clayton, the youngest
of the brothers, is married, and lives on the homestead.
CYRUS FINCH was an early
and promising lawyer in Centerville. He was a man of good
character, and popular, and is well remembered by many of the old
inhabitants. He died at an early age. He was married to Therese A.
Booker, sister of Jacob N. and Samuel P. Booker, who, after the
death of her husband, married Wm. Widup, who also died. She still
survives, at the age of nearly 73 years.
ABNER HAINES commenced
the practice of law in Centerville in 1831, and continued in it till
1838, when he removed to Eaton, Ohio, where he now lives. Judge Haines
was a fair lawyer, and enjoys the confidence and esteem of his
SAMUEL HANNAH was born
Dec. 1,1789, in the state of Delaware. At the age of six years he
removed with his father's family to Brownsville, Payette county,
Pennsylvania, on the Monongahela river, thirty miles above Pittsburgh.
He was married July 11, 1811, to Eleanor Bishop, who died Sept 26,1864.
In the spring of 1815, with his wife and two children, he went in
a flat-boat to Cincinnati, and thence by wagons to Warren county, Ohio,
where he taught school two years. In 1817 he settled in the woods, in
what is now the township of Washington. His cabin was one of the rudest
of the rude, being for a time a mere shelter, without a door or
chimney. In Dec, 1823, having been elected Sheriff of Wayne county, he
removed from his farm to Centerville, the county seat. Belonging to the
society of Friends, and conscientiously opposed to the collection
of fines for refusing to do military duty, he resigned his office in
the spring of 1825. In August following he was elected as a
representative in the legislature. He declined a re-election, but was
in 1826 elected a justice of the peace, which office he held about Four
years. The county business being then done by the Board of
Justices, he was chosen and continued President of the Board until
1829, when the Board of County Commissioners was restored. He was
appointed Postmaster at Centerville under the administration of John
Quincy Adams, and held the office until removed under that of President
Jackson, in 1829. He was one of the three commissioners appointed by
the legislature to locate the Michigan road from the Ohio river to the
Lake, and to select the lands secured to the state by a treaty with the
Indians, held on the upper Wabash in 1826. In 1830 he was elected Clerk
of Wayne county, and served seven years. In 1843 he was again elected
to the legislature. In December, 1846, he was elected by the
legislature Treasurer of State, and served three
years. On his election he removed to
Indianapolis, where he resided until his death, with the exception of a
residence of about two years at Centerville, during the construction
of the Indiana Central railway. In March, 1851, he was chosen
first President of the company, but resigned in July following. He was
the same summer elected Treasurer of the Indianapolis and
Bellefontaine Railroad Company. In May, 1852, he accepted the office
of Treasurer of the Indiana Central Railway Company, and held the
office until January, 1864, when he retired from active
life. He died Sept. 8,1869, aged nearly 80 years.
JOSEPH HOLMAN, son of
George Holman, was born in Wood-ford county, Kentucky, October 1,1788,
and removed with his father to the Whitewater country, two miles south
of where Richmond now stands. He married, November 22, 1810, Lydia
Overman, daughter of Ephraim Overman, who was born June 13,1792. He
settled half a mile from the present town of Boston, and, in March,
1812, three miles north of Centerville, on Noland's Fork. In 1814, he
was a candidate for the territorial legislature. Voting being done viva
voce, and it being known that there was a tie, his rival, Joseph Brown,
voted for himself and Holman, refusing to vote for himself, lost the
election. Brown died at Corydon before the close of the first session,
and, in 1815, Holman was chosen to fill the vacancy. At the next
session, [1815-16,] Congress, in response to a memorial of the
territorial legislature, authorized the calling of a convention to form
a state constitution with a view to the admission of Indiana as a state
into the Union. Gov. Harrison ordered an election for the choice of
delegates, and Joseph Holman, Patrick Beard, Jeremiah Cox, and Hugh
Cull were chosen. He was, the same year or the next, again elected, and
by successive re-elections continued as a representave in the
legislature, with the exception of one year, until his removal to
Port Wayne. In 1823, having been appointed by President Monroe,
Receiver of Moneys at the new land office at Port Wayne, be removed
thither, and, with Capt. Samuel C. Vance, Register, opened the office
in October. He held the office of Receiver about six years, and was
removed by President Jackson. During a part of this time he was a
partner in the tanning, mercantile, and pork business.
In 1830, while at1 Port Wayne, he was again elected to the legislature.
In 1833 he removed to Peru, where he was for nine years engaged in
farming. In August, 1843, at the solicitation of his father, who, in
his declining years, desired the attention of one of hiB children, he
removed to the old farm of his father, purchased in 1804. In 1860, the
year after his father's death, he removed to Centerville, where he now
Joseph and Lydia Holman
had twelve children. Their names, except of two who died in infancy,
are as follows: Polly, who married Chauncey Carter, who died at Logan
sport, a county auditor or treasurer. Solomon, who married Mary Forey,
of Peru, Ind., where he died. He had been assistant engineer in
constructing the Wabash and Erie Canal, and en¬gineer of the
Whitewater Canal. Patsey, who married Isaac Marquiss, of Peru, where
both died, leaving eight children, of whom Jacob and Isaac died in the
late war, of disease. Raharel Jane, who married Richard Rue, son
Henry Roe. They had thirteen children, of whom six or seven are living. Elizabeth, who married
successively Robert James, Fisher, and Isaac
Marquiss, and is also dead. Wm. J., who married Rebecca Burk, of
Indianapolis, and had by her four children, all of whom and their
mother are dead. He married, second, Martha Butler. By her he had
six children, two of whom died at Pike's Peak. She also died. He
married, third, Kate White, by whom he had four children, all living.
Sarah, who married Henry James, and resides in Grant county. He has
been twice a member of the legislature, and is a preacher in the
Christian Church. Rachel, who died at 11. Margaretta L., who married
Samuel Conner. They reside in Texas, and have five children living.
Joseph George Eph-raim, who married Catharine Morley, of Preble county,
Ohio. They have six children, and reside near Fort Wayne.
LEVI M. JONES, was born
in Kanawha county, Virginia, October 5,1787, and was married to
Mary Thomas in 1807. In 1815 he settled in Center township, about a
mile north of Centerville. He died October 5, 1823; his wife, March 12,
1847—both in Centerville, whither they removed two or three years after
they settled on the farm. They had ten children, all married.1. Lewis
married Caroline Leavel. 2. Sarah married Robert Franklin. 8.
Oliver T. 4. Norris married Sarah
Jenkins. 5. Harrison married Bundy,
and died in
1847. 6. Rebecca married Daniel Shank, and died about five years
ago.7. Washington married Hunt, daughter of Smith Hunt, of
Abington township. 8. Eli married Anna Crow. Washington and Eli reside
at Hecla, Whitley county, Ind.9. Mary, who married Stephen Crow; and
Levi, who married Matilda Brown, and lives in Washington township.
OLIVER T. JONES, son of
Levi M., was born in Virginia, September 19,1810. He came with his
father to Centerville in 1815, and commenced labor at an early age. He
worked at brick-making, farming, and teaching, about seven years,
within which period he collected state and county revenues two years.
From 1839 to 1844 he served as justice of the peace, and was during the
same period county examiner. He then removed to the place where he now
resides, one mile north of Centerville; and was for several years
township treasurer. He has followed farming many years, and still
superintends the business of the farm. In 1860 he was elected to
the legislature as a representative; re-elected in 1862, attended an
extra session in June, 1863, and resigned. In the ensuing fall he was
elected a county commissioner, an important office during the war,
which office he still holds. Mr. Jones has also for several years been
engaged in banking at Centerville. He was married, March 7,1838, to
Mary King, of Center. They had twelve children: Joseph, who died at 19;
Jane, who married John M. Eliason; Elmira; John K., teller in the
bank; Martha, who married Samuel C. Smith; Lucinda, who married Joshua
Eliason; Levi M.; Anna, who married Lewis Shute, and resides in
Preble county, Ohio; William, Emily, Charles, and Lincoln.
ISAAC JULIAN. The family
represented by this name is of French and probably Huguenotic
extraction. The family name was originally St. Julien, but has been
shortened and anglicised into its present form. The first of the name
who came to America was Rene St. Julien, a native of Paris, and a
soldier by profession. He fought under the Prince of Orange, afterward
William III. of England, at the battle of the Boyne, in Ireland, July 1,1690,
which resulted in the defeat of the adherents of James II. For his
services he received from the king a grant of land beyond the
Mississippi. But the war of the Revolution gave a quietus to such
grants. He came to this country near the close of the seventeenth
century, and settled on the eastern shore of Maryland. He had a
numerous family, principally sons, from whom all of the name in America
are believed to have descended. One of these sons, Isaac Julien, as
appears from Irving's Life of Washington, was residing in "Winchester,
Virginia, in 1755. He removed to Randolph county, North Carolina, where
his descendants still reside.
of the above, also
Isaac Julian, came to this county in 1815, and settled on the farm
lately owned by John Bond, near Washington. He afterward removed to
Greensboro, Henry county, where he died. Isaac, Jacob, Rene, and
Schbael, sons of the last named, all preceded him in coming to the
West, and all, for a time, resided in this county, as also their
sisters, who were married as follows: Elizabeth, to Wm. Cox, and still
lives in Richmond; Ellen, to Absalom Harvey, now residing in Missouri;
Sarah, to Ezekiel Commons, and resides in Rush county; Barbara, to
Samuel Howard; and Martha, to Uriah Bulla, both deceased. Rene, a man
of superior na¬tural gifts, died many years since at Newcastle, of
" milk sickness," being at the time clerk of Henry county. Jacob
died near Logansport, September 29,1870; and Shubael still lives at
Cadiz, Ind. Isaac, Jacob, Wm. Cox, and George FaHow, still of this
vicinity, cleared the ground north side of Main street. The trees had a
few years previously [1807?] been prostrated by a great storm.
the subject of
this sketch, and the thind of the name, in regular succession, is the
only one of the name whose family has remained permanently
identified with Wayne county. He was born in Randolph county, North
Carolina, June 4 1781. After obtaining the rudiments of education at
the primitive common schools of that region, he engaged in the
mercantile business, in which he was not successful. He came to this
county early in 1808. Both before leaving North Carolina, and
after his arrival here, he was engaged in teaching. In the winter of
1808-9, he taught a school within a few miles of where Richmond now
is. He married, March 29, 1809, Rebecca, a daughter of
Andrew Hoover. She was ten years his junior. They became acquainted
while engaged in planting corn on the farm of Wm. Bulla. Her
father, being a strict and stern member of the Society of Friends, and
the groom being an " outsider' the marriage was a secret one, and was
solemnized by Richard Rue, Esq., at his residence, three miles south of
Richmond. Friend Hoover, however, at length relented and forgave the
pair, presenting his daughter, as a token of his restored favor, some
articles for going to housekeeping, prominent among which was a
resplendent set of pewter " dresser ware." They settled first in a
cabin on the bluft on the David Hoover farm, where their first child
was born, and afterward removed to a place near Middleboro. And soon
after the " Twelve Mile Purchase" was made in 1810, he settled on
Noland's Fork, a mile and a half southwest of Centerville, where
all his other children were born.
Julian and his wife
shared, not only in the toils and hardships incident to the first
settling of a heavy timbered country, but the greater tribulations
attendant on frontier life during an Indian war. They were repeatedly
compelled to flee for safety to the older settlements. During this
crisis, Mr. Julian was three months in the military service. A graphic
picture of their experience during this period, from the pen of Rebecca
Julian, will be found in another part of this work.
Mr. J. was one of the
first trustees of the town of Centerville. He was twice
commissioned a justice of the peace: first, Aug. 11, 1815, by Gov.
Thomas Posey; and again, Sept. 8, 1817, by Gov. Jonathan Jennings. He
also held the office of county commissioner. In 1822 he was a
representative in the legislature, which met at Corydon, of which he
was said to be an efficient and useful member. Having become
pecuniarily involved by going security for others on the eve of a
financial crisis, he was compelled, in 1823, to sell his farm. He
removed to what is now Tippecanoe county, where he died, Dec. 12,1823,
soon after his arrival, near the Wabash, nine miles below Lafayette.
Though early cut off, he is said to have left a reputation for strict
probity, decided natural ability and force of character, which gave
promise of continued
and even increased
usefulness. He had read much, and possessed a good library for the time
in which lived; and it was one of his most cherished desires to
afford his children the opportunity for obtaining a good education. By the kindness of
friends and relatives, his faidow was enabled to return to Wayne
county. The journey, performed in the winter season, with horses and
wagon, through an unbroken wilderness, was attended with great
difficulty and extreme suffering. With the scanty remnant of property
left her, and by industry and rigid economy, she was enabled to keep
her family together; and, sharing the spirit of her husband, she
secured to them all the facilities of a common school education. The
greater part of her life was spent in Wayne county, but the closing
scene came at the residence of a daughter, at Mt. Vernon, Iowa, Nov.
21,1867, at the age of 76 years. Her memory is cherished by all who
knew her. Her naturally strong mental powers, social sympathies, and
religious sentiments appeared to increase during the closing years of
her life. Isaac and Rebecca Julian had seven children.1. John M., the eldest,
was born Jan. 19, 1811. The death of his father imposed on him many
untimely labors and cares. He, however, managed to supplement his
scanty educational acquirements by an extensive course of reading and
persevering self-improvement. He was engaged for several years in
teaching, probably with a view to a preparation fora professional
career. Possessed of a fine literary taste and a high moral character,
he strove to stimulate his young associates to the cultivation of
similar tastes and principles. His varied qualities thus early promised
a brilliant future. But the dawn of promise was suddenly overcast by
death, August 21, 1834. 2. Sarah was born March 10, 1813, and was
married, Jan. 16, 1840, to Jesse H. Holman, son of George Holman. They
removed soon after to Linn county, Iowa, where she still resides. She
has three children. 3. Jacob B. 4. George W. [Sketches below.] 5.
Elizabeth E., born July 15, 1819, was married Jan. 12, 1841, to Allison
I. Willetts, a son of Jesse Willetts, an early settler on Green's Fork.
They settled soon after in Linn county, Iowa. He
was the founder of the town of Mt.
Vernon, in that county, and died some years since, leaving three
children. She married, second, Andrew Beatty. 6. Henry, born Nov.
6,1821; died July 21, 1823. 7. Isaac H.
JACOB B. JULIAN, son of
Isaac Julian, the subject of the foregoing sketch, was born Jan.
6,1815. He was apprenticed to Edward K. Hart, a blacksmith, in
Centerville, and afterward, for a short time, carried on a shop for
himself. He began the study of law in 1838, while employed as an
assistant by John iTinley, county clerk; completed it in 1839, and
was admitted to the bar in June, 1839. In the latter part of the year
he was married to Martha J., daughter of Henry Bryan. He has
steadfastly adhered to the practice of his profession, having never
been absent during the sessions of the civil courts. In 1844 he was
elected prosecuting attorney for this judicial circuit. In the winters
of 1846-7, and in 1848-9 he represented Wayne county in the
legislature. He has, however, been led to no political aspirations, but
has sought distinction only in his profession, in which he has
succeeded. Although yet in the prijne of life, he has practiced law in
this county for a greater number, of years than any other man has ever
done. He has four children. His son, John P., is at present his partner
in practice, under the firm of Julian & Julian.
GEORGE W. JULIAN, son of
Isaac, was born near Centerville, May 5,1817. He was six years of age
at the time of his father's death. This sad misfortune, however, was
essentially mitigated by the fact that his early training was devolved
upon a faithful and competent mother. His early educational advantages
were only such as were afforded by the common schools in a new country.
Yet he made rapid progress in the acquisition of useful knowledge, by
private reading and study, done in great part in the evening by
firelight, better light being not at all times easily procured. The
deficiency of the family library, as will be readily sup-posed, was
supplied by books borrowed of his neighbors. After due preparation, he
engaged in teaching a country school, which business he followed with
credit three years. It was during the first of his teaching that he
signalized himself by successfully resisting
the efforts of the " big boys * to com¬pel him to "treat" on
Christmas day, according to a custom long prevalent in the West. About
the year 1839, he commenced the study of law, which he prosecuted
without the aid of a preceptor. He was admitted to practice in 1840,
and followed the business of his profession, except as interrupted by
attention to public duties, until the year 1861. In 1845 he was elected
a representative of the county in the legislature, where he advocated
the abolition of capital punishment, and retrenchment,in public
expenditures. In 1848, when Zachary Taylor was nominated for the
presidency by the Whig party, he for a season remained neutral, but
subsequently attended the Buffalo convention which nominated Martin Van
Buren and Charles Francis Adams, and supported that nomination. In 1849
he was elected a representative to Congress over Samuel W. Parker, a
prominent Whig. In 1852, when John P. Hale was nominated by the " Free
Soil" party for president, Mr. Julian was placed on the ticket for
vice-president. He was a delegate to the first national Republican
conveittion at Pittsburg, in the spring of 1856, and one of the
vice-presidents, and chairman of the committee on organization. In 1860
he was again elected to Congress, and by successive re-elections
continued there till the close of the 41st Congress, March, 1871. Among
the measures of importance to the country at large with which he has
been conspicuously identified, are the homestead law, and the
attempt to protect the public lands from further spoliation by lavish
grants to railroad companies, or by the sale of large tracts to
speculators. He was for ten years a member of tbe house committee on
public land*, and for eight years its chairman. He was appointed in
1862 a member of the joint committee of both houses on the conduct of
the war, a position which he held nearly four years. He was also one of
the committee which prepared articles of impeachment against President
Julian was married,
first, to Ann E. Finch, of Centerville, May 13, 1845, by whom he had
three children. After her decease, he was married to
Laura Giddings, a daughter of the late Hon. Joshua R. Giddings, of
Ohio, December 31, 1863.
ISAAC H. JULIAN, a son of
Isaac, was born June 19, 1823. He early manifested a decided literary
taste, and at intervals of leisure from farm work, succeeded in
accomplishing a course of reading in the departments of history and
general literature. He also early became a contributor, both in poetry
and prose, to many of the newspapers and periodicals of the day. In
1848, he became deeply interested in the antislavery and other
humanitarian phases of politics, which then took shape and gave
direction to his subsequent literary efforts. He resided in Iowa
from the spring of 1846 to the fall of 1850. He studied law, and was
admitted to the bar in this county in the spring of 1851, but found the
practice too distasteful to make it a life business. In 1857, he edited
and got published the " Memoir of David Hoover" accompanying it with
an Appendix of interesting and valuable matter relating to the
first settlement of the Whitewater valley. In September, 1858, he
bought the True Republican newspaper at Centervile, which he edited and
published with that name until about the close of the year 1864, when,
having purchased a Richmond paper, the two were consolidated under the
name of the Indiana Radical, which has since been published by him at
Richmond, to which place he removed January 1,1865. He was
postmaster at Centerville during President Lincoln's first term,
and at Richmond from May, 1869, to July, 1871. He was married October
16,1859, to Virginia M. Spillard, and has four children.
JESSE KINO, from
Kentucky, about the year 1826, settled two miles north-east from the
town of Washington. He had a large family; and five of his sons,
Samuel, Daniel, Elisha, Lorenzo D., and John, came to this county.
Samud settled, in 1814 or 1815, near or adjoining Centerville, and
resided in other places in the township, and removed successively to
Rush and Tipton counties, to Iowa, and lastly to the south-west part of
Kansas, where, at the age of 87, he lives with a second wife, and has
children, the youngest of whom is about the age of five or six years.
Daniel, with Elisha, his brother, came about two years earlier than
their father, and married McAlister.
His sons, James and John, died unmarried.Newton lives in Madison
county; Isaac in Green township;Levi, on the farm of his father;
Milton, in Madison. A daughter, Mary Jane, married George Ebersal.
JElisha settled two miles south of Centerville; afterward started with
his family for Oregon, and several of his children and himself died on
the way thither. His widow, after her arrival there, married
again, and died there. Lorenzo D. came to the county with his father,
and after a residence of several years in Green, settled where he now
resides, in Center. His sons, William, Joseph, and Absalom, live in the
JOHN KING, son of Jesse
King, settled a mile and a half north of Centerville, where Joseph
King's widow resides, and in 1830, where Jackson King resides, near
Centerville. His children were, 1. Luanda, who married Joshua Eliason.
2. James, who married Malinda, a daughter of Caleb B. Jackson, and died
at West Grove, where he resided. 3. Joseph, who married Sarah Way,
daughter of Seth Way, of Green, and died where his widow resides. 4.
William, who married Jemima, daughter of Caleb B. Jackson, and resides
four miles north-east of Centerville. 5. Mary, wife, of Oliver T.
Jones. 6. Presley, who married a daughter of Ebenezer Cheeseman, and
has lately removed to Kansas. 7. Nancy married John M. Maxwell, who
resides near Richmond. She died in Center. 9. Jackson, who married
Elizabeth Davis, and lives on the late home of his father, near the
town. 10. Jesse [not the last born, it is believed, died at the age of
JEREMY MANSUR was born in
Temple, Hillsborough county, New Hampshire, December 31,1791. He came
in 1813 from New Hampshire to Cincinnati on horseback, and after a stay
of six months, removed to Hamilton, Butler county, Ohio, where he was
married in 1814 to Jane Carr, and removed the same year to Salisbury,
then the county seat of Wayne county, Indiana, where he worked about
six years at the edge-tool business. In 1820 or 1821, he settled on a
farm between Cen¬terville and Richmond, on the National road. In
1831, he removed to Richmond, and engaged in the mercantile
business, which he continued about eight years. He then returned to his
farm; and, in 1852, removed to Indianapolis, where he still resides, in
the possession of an ample fortune acquired by honest
industry. His children were, 1. Mary Ann, who married, first, John H.
Wright, who died in Indianapolis, having had four children, two of whom
(sons) are living; married, second, Charles Parry, a practicing
physician and surgeon, and Vice-President of the Indiana Central
Eailway, who also died in that city. 2. Clarissa, who married James C.
Ferguson, who is engaged in the pork-packing business in Indianapolis.
They had seven children, of whom five are living. A daughter, Isabel,
died while at school in Kentucky as she was about to graduate. 3.
William, who married Hannah Cully in Indianapolis, and had three
sons—one living. He has long been engaged in pork-packing, and is a
director of the Citizens' Bank. 4. Sarah Jane, who married Wm. S.
Reid, of Richmond. 5. Isaiah, who married Amelia Brown of
Philadelphia, and is extensively engaged in banking in Indianapolis. 6.
Franklin, who married Sarah Grewel in Indianapolis, and resides there.
7. James Carr, who died at the age of three years.
THOMAS MCCOY was one of
the earliest settlers of Wayne county, having come with Hoi man and
Rue, and settled with them south of Richmond, in 1805. In 1813, he
removed to the farm on which he died a few miles south-west of
Centerville. He is represented as having been an honest man, brave and
true; and with a will as firm as his stalwart, iron frame, he was a
leader among the pioneers. During the Indian war his house was their
rallying place, and his advice and aid their chief reliance. He was of
Irish descent, and retained, during life, some of the characteristics
of his countrymen. He died in the winter of 1844-45. His two sons,
John, a native of Kentucky, and Morgan, one of the oldest natives of
this county, live on the old place, and are highly respected citizens.
OLIVER P. MORTON was born
August 4, 1823, in Center township, and was married to Lucinda M.
Burbank, May 16, 1845. His parents having died when he was quite young,
the care of rearing him devolved upon his grandmother and two aunts. He
was at an early age apprenticed to a half-brother in Centerville at the
hatter's trade. He worked but a short time at the business, and was for
a while without steady employment. He was at length placed at school at
the Wayne County Seminary at Centerville, of which Prof. Samuel P.
Hoshour was the principal. After a course of preparatory
studies at the seminary, he entered Miami University, at Ox-ford, Ohio,
in which he made considerable progress in bis studies, but left the
University without completing the course. He returned to Centerville
and commenced the study of the law, and in 1846 was admitted to
practice, and rose rapidly in his profession. In 1852 he
was appointed judge of the judicial circuit to complete the unexpired
term of his predecessor. Previously to 1854 he acted with the
Democratic party; but when that party repealed the Missouri compromise,
he severed his connection with it, and has since acted with the
Republican party. In 1856 he was a candidate for
governor in opposition to Ashbel P. Willard, the Democratic
candidate, and was beaten. In 1860 he was elected
lieutenant-governor on the ticket with Henry S. Lane as governor, and
served as lieutenant-governor but two days. Gov. Lane
having been elected by the legislature to the office of senator of the
United States, Mr. Morton succeeded him in office. The war,
which commenced in April, 1861, devolved the most weighty and
responsible duties upon the state executives. Gov.
Morton convened the legislature without delay,
and means were promptly provided to put the state on a war
footing. The promptitude and efficiency with which he
discharged his executive duties in relation to the war, gained for him
great credit throughout the loyal states. At the ensuing
election  he was elected governor for another term.
But before the term had half expired he resigned his office, took a
voyage to Eu¬rope, and returned with improved
health. In January, 1867, he was elected by the
legislature senator to Congress for the constitutional term of six
years, to succeed the Hon. Henry S. Lane, whose term expired in March
following. He has three sons, John M., Walter S., and
JOHN S. NEWMAN was born
in Montgomery county, Ohio, April 10, 1805. He came in March, 1807, to
what is now Wayne township, with his grandfather, who settled two miles
north of Richmond. His mother having died (May 18,1806) before their
settlement here, he was taken into the family of his grandfather,
Andrew Hoover, Sen. In January, 1827, he removed to Centerville, where
he was for a time the
office of his uncle,
David Hoover, then clerk of the county courts. He there also studied
law; was admitted to practice in May, 1828, and continued in practice
there until 1860. For nearly ten years of the period of his practice,
he was in part¬nership with Jesse P. Biddall, under the firm of
Newman & Siddall. In 1834 he was elected a representative in the
legislature. He was afterward, for several years, a partner in the firm
of Hannah & Newman in the mercantile business, in Cen-terville. In
1850 he was elected a delegate to the constitu¬tional convention.
In January, 1847, he was chosen president of the Whitewater Valley
Canal Company, and served as such five years. In 1851 he was chosen
president of the Indiana Central Railway Company, and, in*1860,
for convenience to his business, he removed to Indianapolis, where he
now re¬sides. And for the last five years he has been president of
the Merchants' National Bank of Indianapolis. He was married, October
1,1829, to Eliza J. Hannah, a daughter of Samuel Hannah. They had six
children: Mary, who married Dr. H. G. Carey. Gertrude, wife of Ingram
Fletcher, a banker in Indianapolis. Omar, engaged in the lumber trade
in Chicago. Walter, who was 1st lieutenant in the United States army;
served in the late war, and died January 1,1864, at Indianapolis,
of disease contracted in the army. Two children died in infancy.
WILLIAM A. PEELLE was
born in North Carolina, and came to this county with his father, who
settled in New Garden in 1820. He was brought up on the farm of his
father; and in 1840 he began the study of law at home, and without a a
tutor. In 1845, he commenced practice at Marion, Grant Co., and in 1866
removed to Winchester. In 1848, he was elected Prosecuting Attorney,
and in 1854 he was elected Judge of the Court of Common Pleas for
Randolph and Jay counties. In 1860, he was elected Secretary of State,
and removed to Indianapolis, Jan. 1,1861. After the expiration of
his term of office, he removed to Centerville, where he still continues
the practice of his profession. In March, 1867, he was appointed Judge
of the Criminal Court; and was in 1867 a representative of this county
in the state legislature. Judge Peelle read law with
James S. Frazer, who also studied outside of a lawyer's office, and who
was afterward a jndge of the Sapreme Court of the State, and who is now
a Commissioner at Washington, apponted by President Grant in pursuance
of the treaty lately negotiated with Great Britain, to settle the
differences between that country and the United States.
JORA PRITCHETT was born
in New Jersey, Kov. 25,1803, and reared in Columbiana county, Ohio,
where he studied medicine; and came to Centerville in February,
1826. After a successful practice for many years, he graduated, in
1843, at the Ohio Medical College, Cincinnati. He is at this time the
oldest practicing physician in the county, excepting Dr. Pennington, of
Milton. He married Emily Talbot, daughter of Samuel Talbot, near
Centerville, and had three children: 1. Mary, who resides with the
family at Centerville. 2. ChisiavuSy who died in infancy. 3. James M.,
who resides in Washington City. In 1852, he entered the naval school at
Annapolis, Md., and graduated in 1857, and is still in the navy of the
United States. He was in active service in the late civil war.
WILLIAM PUGH, a native of
South Carolina, settled in Richmond, in 1818, and soon after
removed to Salisbury, where he studied medicine with Dr. Ithamar
Warner, arid returned to Richmond, where he was in practice with Dr.
Warner until 1824. He then removed to Centerville, and continued the
practice of his profession until his decease, in 1829, aged 33. His
son, John E. Pugh, is a druggist in Centerville, and is said to be the
first person born in town.
JAMES RARIDEN, a native
of Kentucky, after a residence of several years in Brookville, and for
a time in Salisbury, where he studied law, and was a deputy clerk for
David Hoover, came to Centerville in 1820, where he remained in the
practice of law until about 1846. He then removed to Cambridge City,
where he died in 1856 or 1857. Though illiterate, he was a man of
strong mind, a fair lawyer, and an able advocate. He was several times
elected to the legislature, and was a representative in Congress
from 1837 to 1841.
GEO. RUPE, from
Tennessee, came in 1821 to Richmond, and carried on the hatting
business for a year. He then removed Perry, about three
miles west from where Economy now and thence, three years afterward, to
the present site of it town, where he built a log shop and
dwelling-house together. This was one of the first buildings, if not
very first one, within the present limits of the town. He here carried
the hatting business about thirty years, attaining celebrity nearly
equal to that of Beard, of North Carolina, whom allusion has been made.
He is spoken of as a good citizen and an honorable man. He died in
in Hamilton County, Ind., of cancer.
HENRY B. RUPE, son of
George Rupe, was born in Tennes-5,1821, and came the same year with his
father to Wayne county, Indiana. At the age of ten years, he commenced
learning the hatter's trade with his father, at Economy, and followed
business until 1858. He was early identified th the antislavery
movement; and on the organization of the Liberty party, was run by that
party as a candidate for county treasurer. He has lectured much,
throughout the county, upon the subjects of slavery, temperance, and
population, education as connected with the common schools. Since out
year 1859, he has been a preacher of the Baptist nomination. Since the
beginning of his ministerial labors, has preached for churches at
Concord, at Cambridge county, and at Elkhorn. In the fall of 1862, he
elected teasurer of Wayne county; and in 1864 was re-elected for second
term. He is now living on his farm a mile and a haIf south of
JOHN STIGLEMAN was born
in Virginia, in the year 1787, hence he removed to this county, in
1819, and settled about three miles north of Centerville, and a few
later moved to the farm now owned and occupied by his son Henry, where
August 18,1865, aged 79 years. He was a good and faithful citizen, of
decided Christian character, and an active amber of the Baptist
church. He held the office of county commissioner for one or two terms.
CHARLES H. TEST came to
Centerville in 1838, a lawyer of perience and of good reputation. He
had commenced practice, in 1821, at Lawrenceburg; had practiced also at
Brookville and Rushville. From 1830 to 1838, he had been 13 a circuit
judge. He removed from Centerville to White county, and sub- sequently
Indianapolis, where he now resides. He has also been judge of Lafayette
circuit; has represented several different counties in the legislature;
and has held for a term of two years the office of secretary of state.
He is regarded as one of the ablest advocates now in practice in the
JESSE WILLIAMS, from
Kentucky, in 1815, to Franklin county, and in 1819 to Centerville. He
now resides one and a half miles east of town. In 1837, he was elected
associate judge to fill the vacancy occasioned by the death of Asa M.
Sherman ; was re-elected in 1838 for the term of seven years, and again
in 1845 for another term of seven years.
JOHN C. KIBBBY, a native
of Warren county, Ohio, came to this county about the year 1815, and
settled at Salisbury. In about the year 1821 or 1822, he removed to
Richmond, where he resided, with the exception of a few years at
Centerville, until his death some ten or fifteen years ago. He is said
to have been a man of u a mathematical turn of mind, well read in
general literature, and an honest man." He was for many years a justice
of the peace.
JOHN F. KIBBEY, son of
the above, was admitted to practice March 2,1852. He was elected, in
1864, to succeed Jeremiah Wilson as judge of the Sixth judicial
district, and came into office, March, 1865. He was re-elected in 1868,
and his term will expire in 1872.
SAMUEL RUSSELL, a native
of Virginia, from Ohio in 1818, settled in 1819, where his son Vinnedge
resides, about four miles north-east from Centerville, and where he
died in 1835, aged 63. His children living are Samuel, Vinnedge, and
Ann, wife of John Kem. John H. Robe, from Germany, in 1838, to
Maryland, and after a residence there of eleven years, to Center, where
he now resides, two miles east of Centerville. John P. Voss, from North
Carolina in 1827, settled a year after near the site of old Salisbury,
in Wayne, and two years later on the place where he now resides, two
miles east of Centerville, on the National road. John Atkinson, born in
New Jersey, from Ohio at an early day, settled in the north-west part
of the township. He died in 1857, where his son Henry now lives, in Clay,
William Beall, from Kentucky, in 1816, entered and settled on the land
now owned by Oliver T. Jones, south of Lorenzo D. King's; and in 1836,
settled where he now resides, in Clay, two miles east of Washington, on
land entered by his father, Archibald Beall. His children are Curran,
Hannah, Brutus, Amanda, Marion, Susanna.