The township of Green was formed in August, 1821, from Perry and other
townships. It contains an area of about 30 square miles. The principal
stream in the township is Green's Fork, which passes through it
diagonally from the north-east corner in a south-westerly direction. It
derives its name from a famed Indian, John Green, well known to many
old settlers still living, and whose name occurs in several places in
John Lewis, from North Carolina, in the year 1810, settled with his
family half a mile south of the site of the present town of
William8burg, on the farm on which his son Joseph now resides. He was
accompanied by his eldest son Richard, then past the age of majority.
These were the first settlers in the township.
The following are believed to have settled in 1811: Henry Way, 1 1/2
miles north-east of town, where Charles B. Ballenger resides. Seth Way,
on the present farm of Jesse Cates. Joseph Prator, Thomas Cranor, and
Wm. Johnson, near the town. Joshua Cranor, where his son Milo now
lives, about a mile south-east from town; and Reuben Joy, 2 miles
north-east from town ; land now owned by Jesse Reynolds.
In 1814, John Green, from N. C, settled 2 miles north of town on the
farm now owned by Josephus D. Ladd, and was accompanied by Joseph Ladd
and his son William. J. Ladd settled on the farm lately owned by Samuel
Johnson, now by Martin Ballenger. In 1816, also from N. C, came Abel
Lomax, who settled on land now owned by James Frazers heirs; Elijah
Wright, where Alexander Wright lives; Jeremiah Stegall,on land now
owned by Alexander Stegall; Wm. Cook, with his sons, Cornelius and
James, about 4 miles north-west from town; land now owned by his heirs
In 1814, Benj. Hutchins, from N. C, settled where now Wm. McLucas
lives, 1 1/2 miles north from town; and Thomas, on land now owned by
Job Coggeshall, a mile north from town. Benj. Hutchins afterward
removed to the farm where he now resides, near the United Brethren
meeting-house. John Hutchins settled a mile north-west from town, where
James M. Cranor resides. Henry Study, a native of Mary¬land, in
1818, a mile west of town, where his son John resides. Mr. Study is
said to have had the first iron mol(J-board plow in Wayne county.
The following named persons were generally the first settlers on the
lands they owned, but the years in which most of them settled have not
In the south-east part of
the township, Joseph Comer, where now Joseph Comer, his son, resides ;
Joseph Palmer, where Daniel Palmer resides; Henry Gower, and James
Irwin; first settler on their lands not ascertained ; Thomas Teagle,
where now a son resides. Joseph Evans, from N. J., entered several
quarter sections, now and lately owned in part by Mark Evans, Joseph
Lewis, Abner Clawson, and John Bean. John Catey, from N. J., also
several quarter sections, portions of which, east of the turnpike, he
still owns. Joseph Personett, from Md., settled on land now owned by
Benj. F. Beverlin. Wm. Beverlin, from Va., settled as early, probably,
as 1812, on land now owned by his son Thomas, and John Catey, where the
latter now resides. Jesse Bacon, from N. J., on land formerly owned by
Benj. Harris. Henry Catey, from N. J., where Samuel Catey resides, l
miles south-east from town. Thomas Bond, south line of township, land
now owned by his heirs.
In the south part of the township, Anthony Chamness, from N. C, settled
where his son Joshua resides. Drury Davis lives on land formerly owned
by Stacy B. Catey. Jesse Young, on land now owned by Isaac Henshaw, who
lives in town. Samuel Ball, where now Benj. Thorn resides. Enos Veal,
from N. J., where he still lives. Allen M. Harris, first proprietors
not ascertained. Charles Spencer, on land formerly owned by Orr
Scoville. Richard Lewis, where Nathan L Bond lives. Benj.
Satterthwaite, on land now owned by Jonathan Mullin.
In the west part of the township, John Cain settled where he now
resides. Henry Oler, where his son Henry resides. Luke Dillon settled
on land where Thomas Cranor lives. Joshua Ballenger had other parts of
the section, now owned by Jacob Ballenger and Larkin Bond. Benj.
Ballenger north part.cf the section, now owned by Jacob Ballenger. Amos
W. Ladd, afterward Thomas Oler, who also owns land one mile north,
settled where he now resides. Henry, Joseph, David, and Isaac Study,
sous of Henry, Sen., where they first settled. Elliott, on land now
owned by S. Elliott. Nathan Riley, from Ohio, where Thomas Judd
resides. Lorenzo King, lately L. Culbertson.
In the north-west part
of the township, John Beard, from Md., on township line, on land
previously owned by John Shelly. Jesse Baldwin, from M. C, on land now
owned by his son Eli Baldwin and Isaac Y. King. Section 23, owned by
Ephraim and T. J. Cates, George W. Scantland, and Peter Hardwick, first
proprietors not known. Washington Cranor settled where he still lives.
John St. Myers, where his sons reside. Wm. Ladd, on land now or lately
owned by Frank Beverlin, Joseph Personett, and Thomas Judd.
Ephraim Cates resides 1 1/2
miles west from Williamsburg, and owns several farms in the township.
In the east part of the
township, George Johnson, son of William, settled on land now owned by
Thomas Edwards. Levi Jessup, 2 m. south-east of town, on land now owned
in part by Elisha and Samuel Pitts, and Jonathan Haisley. Joshua
Murphy, from N. C, where Harvey Harris now lives. Jacob Cook, an early
from Ohio, a native of N. C. on land now owned by Ezekiel Johnson and
In the north-east part,
Daniel Charles, about 1816, settled where he still lives; land now
owned by Henry Charles and Hannah Blair. Wm. Trotter and Hugh L. Macy
settled where they still live. Isaiah Case, on lands now owned by S.
Mitchell Boyd and Wyatt Green. Paul Way, from N. C, where now Joseph
Way lives. Jeremiah Thorp, from Tenn., where he now lives. Eleazer
Smith, from ST. C, where now his son, Wm. D. Smith resides. Valentine
Pegg, from N. C, where he still resides. John Pegg, from N". C, on land
now owned by his son John. William Clemens, where he now resides, not
an early settler.
Hartman Eigenbrot, a
native of Germany, came from Penn. to Richmond in 1835, and three years
thereafter to where he now lives, 2 miles south-east from Williamsburg.
William Sharp, from Ireland, in 1854, settled in Richmond, and
engaged in the starch manufacture; sold out in 1862, and in 1870,
removed from Ohio, to where he now lives, 2 miles south from town.
Jonathan Mullen, from Ohio in 1827, settled in 1854 where he now
resides, 11/2 miles south from town. Henry Catey, a native of Germany,
from New Jersey in 1821, settled 1 1/2 miles south-east from town,
he resided until his death in 1850, aged about 80 years. John, his
son, now lives 1 1/2 miles south of town.
Charles Spencer, a native
of Conn., from Penn., in 1819, settled where he now resides, 11/2 miles
south of town. He is said to have made, in 1820, the first pegged shoes
ever made in Wayne county, and, in 1821, the first iron mold-board plow.
The first School in the
township was kept by Richard Lewis in a log house on his father's farm.
The first Blacksmiths in
the township were Wm. Underhill, below town, and Joseph Way, 11/2 miles
north-east from the town. Also, Hunan Roberts and Moses Davidson were
early blacksmiths. The present blacksmiths are Elias and John Roberts,
and two sons of Win. Richter.
The first Wagon-maker was
Wm. Richter, who still continues the business. He
was a son-in-law of Richard Lewis, Leon of John Lewis. Reynolds carries
on the carriage-making business.
Wm. Johnson built the
first Grist-mill about the
year 1818, where the present mill in
Williamsburg stands. A year or two later, Stacy B. Catey built a
saw-mill 11/2 miles below town, where also a grist-mill was built.
About the same time Reuben Joy built a saw-mill 1 1/2 miles above
town ; and a few years after Hugh Johnson built a grist-mill; both are
now owned by Jesse Reynolds.
The first Merchant in
[name lost], who commenced trade about the year 1831; prior to which
time the inhabitants were supplied at Richmond. Of those who have since
traded for longer or shorter periods, were John Pennington, Joshua and
Thomas Cranor, Stephen and Samuel Johnson, Stephen Coffin, eight or ten
years in the firms of B. & S. Coffin and Andrew Purviance &
Co., Pleasant Un-thank and Griffin Davis, afterward Davis alone.
Present Merchants, Griffin Davis, Pierce Brothers, [James and Asher,]
and William Campbell.
Dr. Curtis Otwell was the
first resident Physician, the in-habitants having been previously
served chiefly by Drs. Warner and Kerl, of Richmond, Waldo, of
Jacksonburg, and Way, of Newport. After Otwell, George Blair, Linus P.
Taylor, and John T. Chenoweth. The last two are the present practicing
Richard Lewis is said to
have been the first Justice of the Peace. Other early justices were
Barnabas McManus, Joseph Ladd, John Green, Joseph Lewis, Samuel
Johnson. Ezekiel Johnson and Winston E. Harris are at present justices.
Abel Lomax served two or
more years as representative, and a term of two years as senator in the
legislature ; and Joseph Lewis as a representative, at the session of
The Baptists probably
formed the first church in the township, which was organized Nov. 21,
1818, about 3 miles north of town. Among the first members and those
who joined soon after, were Isaiah Case, Benj. Jones, Eleazer Smith,
and their wives, James Martin, Hannah Case, Polly McQuary, Jeremiah
Swafford, Sarah and Rebecca Potter, David Frazer,. Margaret Shoemaker,
Nathaniel Case and John Stigleman,17 and their
wives. Rev. Wm. Oldham, from Salem church,
Rev. ___ Martin, from Elkhorn, and others, officiated at
the organization. In June, 1819, Benj. Jones and Nathaniel Case were
ordained deacons. In December, 1819, Rev. Isaac Cotton became their
minister, and continued his pastoral labors about twenty years. He was
succeeded by Nathaniel Case about six years, and Andrew Baker some ten
or twelve years. Henry Rupe, Mr. Lyons, and others have supplied the
church at different times. Meetings were first held in a log house. A
frame meeting-house was built about 1830, 3 miles from Williamsburg,
and about twelve years ago a brick one, near the same place.
A Methodist Episcopal
Church and society was formed about the year 1820, perhaps
Among its first members were Abel Lomax, Henry Study, Joshua Ballenger,
Nathan Riley, and their wives. Their first was a log meeting-house,
where the house of the United Brethren now stands, about half a mile
west from town. A brick house was afterward built in its place. In
1851, their present house in town was built Their preachers have been
Joseph Tarkington, Miltideus Miller, John Kiger, John Burt, Mr.
Morrison, Caldwell Robbins, John Metzker, Benj. Smith, Asahel Kiunan,
Ner Phillips, George Newton, Abraham Gorrell, Lewis Roberts, John F.
The Friends formed a
society a few years later, and built a log house about 31/2 miles
north-east from town. After an existence of about fifteen years, the
society was discontinued, a part of its members going to Newport, and a
part to Cherry Grove.
A Fort and Block-house
were built during the war of 1812, on the farm of John Lewis, by John,
Joseph, and Richard Lewis, Joshua and Thomas Cranor, Seth Way, and
others. About three miles north-east from this, another, on land now
owned by Thompson Smith, was built by William Whitehead and others, and
called the "Whitehead block-house."
An Odd Fellows Lodge,
the Chinkarorery No. 120, was instituted Nov. 25, 1852, on
application of Win. Silver, Wm. Brown, James H. Stanley, D. Dinwiddie,
and Abel Evans. Its officers were, Wm. Silver, N. G.; James H. Stanley,
V. G.; James Smith, Rec. Sec;
Sylvester Hollister, Treas. Present officers, Samuel Catey, N. G.;
Danley Palmer, V. G.; Addison C. Reynolds, Rec. Sec.; Barzillai H.
Reynolds, Per. Sec.; Joseph D. Cranor, Treasurer.
The United Brethren
organized a church about the year 1845. After a few months preaching, a
class was formed, of which the following named persons are believed to
have been members: James Jester and Lucretia, his wife, Benj.
Harris and Lydia, his wife, Samuel Johnson and Catharine, his wife,
Herbert C. Pierce and Margaret, his wife, Susanna Cranor, James and
Phebe Stevenson. Their first meetings were held in private rooms in
Williamsburg, afterward in a school-house, 3/4 mile east of town. Their
present house, about half a mile north-east from town, was built about
the year 1855. Their first preacher was Isaac Robinson, who was
succeeded by Wm. Ault, Wm. Kendrick, Robert Morris, and their present
minister, Thomas Evans. Persons belonging to secret societies are
not admitted to membership.
The Town of Williamsburg
was laid out by "William Johnson, proprietor; John Frazer, surveyor,
March 16,1830; and recorded March 23,1830.
SAMUEL K. BOYD, son of
Samuel Boyd, an early settler in Harrison, was born in Kentucky, June
29,1794, and removed with his father to that township in 1811. He was
married, in 1817, to Martha Lewis, daughter of John Lewis, of Green,
and settled 11/2 miles north-east from Williamsburg, where he lived
his removal to Centerville, a few years ago, where he now resides. He
had by this wife five daughters: 1. Priscilla, who married James
Clemens, and resides at Linnville, Randolph Co. 2. J Narcissa who
married John Charaness, of Williamsburg, and is deceased. 3. Sarah
Ann, who married Joseph Lomax, a lawyer at Kalamazoo, Mich. 4. Evelina,
who married William A. Peelle, Centerville. 5. Martha, wife of Winston
W. Harris, and resides at Somerset, Wabash Co. After the death of his
wife, Mr. Boyd was married, in 1828, to Bethany Ladd, by whom he had
ten children, five sons and five daughters, of whom six were
married: 1. Isabella, to Thomas Fagan, of
Williamsburg. 2. William L., to Rebecca Martin; resides at Chester. 3.
Catharine, to William Good-rich, and resides at Dunkirk, Jay Co. 4.
Mary who married John Keever, of New Garden, where she died in 1861.
5,6. Bethany and Samuel K., unmarried. Of the other four, James, John,
and Amanda died young; and Joseph L., in 1865, the day of his discharge
from the United States army, in Texas.
FREDERIC DEAN was born in
North Carolina, July 9, 1800, where he was married to Polly Brooks, who
was born in 1802. In 1831, they removed to Wayne county, and settled in
what is now Clay township, 2 1/2 miles west of Washington. Mr. Dean
Jan. 5,1840, leaving four children, all of whom lived to be married, as
follows: 1. Elizabeth Jane, who was married to George Avery, and
after his death to David Fowler. 2.Jesse B., to Martha,
daughter of John Green; 3. Luzetta to Caleb C. Mendenhall, who died in
1867; 4. John L. to Caroline Lamb, of Perry, where Mrs. Mendenhall also
JOHN GREEN was born in
North Carolina, Feb. 9,1795, and was married Oct. 13,1814, to Judith
Ladd, who was born Dec 5,1794. In the fall of 1814, he removed to
"Wayne county, and settled on the farm now owned by Josephus D. Ladd,
about 2 m. north of Williamsburg, where he resided until about the year
1848, when he removed about a mile east, where he lived until the year
1865. He was, during his residence in the township, highly esteemed by
his fellow-citizens, and held for several years the office of justice
of the peace; and he was a member of the Baptist church. Mr. Green had
eleven children, besides a son who died in infancy, named as
follows: 1. Catharine, who married Isaac Study, and resides in Green
township. Mr. S. is not living. 2. Nancy, who married George W.
Brittan, and removed to Iowa, where he died. William, married, and
lives at Attica, Fountain Co., Ind. Cynthia Ann, who married
Andrew Thomas, and died, leaving five or six children; he has
returned to North Carolina. 5. Patsey S., widow of
Jesse B. Dean. 6. Hampton L.who married Mary Stanley,
and lives in Missouri. 7. Wygatt, who married,
Macy; second, Margaret Macy. 8. Elizabeth, wife of John C.
Potters 9. Judith, who married Charles Garrett;
removed to Missouri, where he died, and where she resides. 10.
Narcissa, who died at 11; and Jo An, who died at 5. Mrs. Green died
Sept. 20,1858; and Dec. 27, 1860, Mr. Green married Mrs. Polly Dean,
widow of Frederic Dean. In 1865, he sold his farm, and removed to where
he now resides, near Richmond.
EZEKIEL JOHNSON was born
in Monmouth Co., N. J., March 14,1807, and was married, Oct. 16,1828,
to Mary Matthews. They removed to Green township in 1838, and settled 3
miles north-east of Williamsburg; and in 1861 he removed into the town,
in which he still resides. He has for many years been a local preacher
in the Methodist Episcopal church, and is at present a justice of the
peace. Their children were: Elizabeth, who married David Reynolds,
and died in 1852, aged 24. Thomas S., who married Amanda Whitmarsh, of
Michigan. They left in December, 1862, as missionaries to India. Maria,
who died at 14. Charles P., who married Margaret Cady. Martha, who
married Wesley H. Engle, and resides in Missouri ; and three who
died in childhood and infancy.
JOHN LEWIS was born in
Guilford Co., N. C, in the year 1765, and was married to Sarah Ruct. In
1810, he came with his family to Wayne Co., Ind., and settled half a
mile south of the present town of Williamsburg. His eldest son,
Richard, who had attained the age of majority, accompanied the family.
These were the first settlers in what is now Green township. Hence it
will be readily presumed that he had a thorough experience in all that
pertains to pioneer life in a timbered country. He lived on the farm on
which he first settled until his death. His children were : 1. Hannah,
who married Thomas Lamb, of Green township; 2. Richard, who married
Lavina Hall; 3. Sarah, wife of Obadiah Harris, who lives near
Indianapolis; 4. Naomi, who married James Harris, and died in the
township; 5. Martha, wife of Samuel K. Boyd, died in the township; 6.
Priscilla, who married David Martin-dale, and died near Indianapolis;
7. Allen W., who married Lucy Hollingsworth, and resides 1 mile
south-west of Williamsburg.
JOSEPH LEWIS, son of John
Lewis, was born in North Carolina, Feb. 6,1794, and came, at the
age of sixteen, with his father, to Wayne county. He
married Martha Boyd, who was born Nov. 27,1800. He
resides on the farm on which his father settled in 1810. His occupation
has been that of a farmer; and by industry and economy has acquired a
large estate. He taught, at an early age, the first school in the
township. He has held the office of justice of the peace, and has
represented the county in the legislature. He has had twelve children:
1. Samuel W., who died at 10. 2. Louisa, who married Thomas Cranor. 3.
Minerva, who married Nathan Wilson, and after his death, Jacob
Swearingen, and lives in Henry Co. 4. Adaline M., unmarried. 5. John
H., who married Elizabeth Kelso, of Huntsville, and resides there.
6. Caroline, who married Henry Stigleman. 7. Clarissa, who married
George H. Smith, and lives 6 miles south of Richmond. 8. Lorinda, who
married Abner Clawson, and died in 1864. 9. Narcissa, who married Isaac
Jenkin son, of Fort Wayne, a lawyer, and editor of the Fort Wayne
Gazette, and now consul at Glasgow, Scotland. 10, 11. Martha and Sarah,
who died at 6. 12. Josephine S., who married Wm. Hunt, and lives 6
miles south of Richmond.
JOSEPH PERSONETT, a
native of Maryland, removed from Hamilton Co., O., in the winter of
1821-1822, and settled 1 1/2 miles south of Williamsburg, on the land
now owned by Frank Beverlin, where he lived until his death, in 1864,
aged 84 years. Susannah, his wife, who was a native of Virginia, died
several years earlier. They had a daughter and five sons: 1. Lavina,
who married Wm. Case; removed about 1854 to Wabash Co., and died there
in 1868. 2. Rolla, who married Thamer Livingston; lived in Ohio several
years; and lives now in Hancock Co., Ind. 3. John, who married Jane
Clingon, and died near Troy, Ohio, in 1836. 4. William, who married
Julia Ann Fulton; taught school in this county several years; served
two terms as county surveyor; removed to Hancock Co. about the year
1854, and died there in 1857. 5. Joseph H,, who married Therissa Jane
Murray; lived on the homestead until 1870; now resides in the north
part of this county. 6. Lorenzo D., who married Ann E. Ogborn; taught
schools about three years; was engaged in mercantile business about
three years; studied medicine with Dr. John Pritchett in Centerville,
from 1841 to 1844, and removed to the town of Washington, where he has
been, and is now, in the practice of his profession and in the
HENRY STUDY was born in
Pennsylvania, near Maryland Hue, Feb. 12,1780. In his twenty-third year
he removed to New Windsor, Md.; and was soon after married to Charlotte
Cook. He removed thence to this county, and settled,in 1819, a mile
west from Williamsburg, where he resided until his death, Aug. 6,1862,
and where his son John now resides. His wife died about a year later.
He was a member of the Methodist church, and was associated with
other pioneers in establishing Methodism in this section of the
country. He was one of the few who organized the first class in the
region where he lived, and was appointed its leader. His children
1. David, who married Lydia, a daughter of Seth Way, and resides
2 1/2 miles north-west from Williamsburg. 2. Joseph, who also
married a daughter of Seth Way, and lives 1/2 mile south of
David's. 3. Louisa, who married Joseph Cranford, and is deceased. 4.
William, who married Harriet Stegall, who resides 11/2 miles west from
town. 5. Samuel, who resides at Hagerstown, and is a
Matilda, who married James Stanley, riot now living; she resides at
Williamsburg. 7. Henry, who married Sarah Lomax, and resides 2
miles west from town. 8. Isaac, who married Catharine, daughter of John
Green, and is deceased; the widow resides in town. 9. Martin, who
married Helen Greenstreet, and re¬sides in Selma,Ind. 10. John, who
married Nancy Smith, and lives a mile west from Williamsburg.