The first Constitution of the State of Indiana was adopted in 1816.
Certain duties which had been performed by the county judges, were by
the constitution devolved upon a board of county commissioners. The
first board, composed of Thomas J. Warman, James Odell, and Thomas
Beard, met in February, 1817.
The commissioners laid off the following six townships, which then
composed the county: Washington, in the south-west corner of the
county; election to be held at Waterloo. Harrison, east of Washington,
to the Ohio state line; election at John Williams's. Jackson, north of
Washington; election at Jacksonburg. Wayne, east of Jackson, to the
state line; election at Thomas Lamb's. Perry, north-west part of the
county. New Garden, east of Perry, to the state line. Elections were to
be held in June, for the election of justices of the peace in the