WHITE COUNTY, INDIANA
CLEMENT S. KINGSBURY
Mr. Kingsbury is a trustee of Union township, White county, Indiana, and a prominent business man of Monticello. He came to this county in 1860, and has been a resident here for the greater part of the time since. He was born near Ogdensburg, St. Lawrence county, New York, March 14, 1843, and is a son of Harvey and Julietta (Small) Kingsbury. Harvey Kingsbury was a farmer of Vermont, and moved to St. Lawrence county, New York, and thence to Michigan, where he died in his fifty fourth year. He married Julietta Small, of New York, who died when she was but twenty eight years of age, leaving three children: Clement S., our subject; and Charles and Eugene, both deceased.
Mr. Kingsbury was about three years old when his parents moved to Michigan. Here he remained until be was seventeen, when he came to this state. His opportunities for receiving an education were very meager, the schools which he attended being from one to three and a half miles distant from his home. This distance had to be walked. However, he made the most of his opportunities, and since then has made up for this unfortunate circumstance by reading and keen observation, and has stored a naturally strong mind with varied knowledge. He was put to work during his very tender years, and at the age of six we find him doing chores, milking cows and doing whatever could be found for a child of that age. He was compelled to rise early in the morning and commence his work. This training, though severe, taught him habits of industry and promptness which have never been forgotten and have contributed largely to his present success in life. He came to Indiana when seventeen years old and engaged in carpenter work with an uncle. This kind of work came naturally to him, but be gave it his entire energy. His uncle soon became a candidate for the office of county treasurer and abandoned his trade, throwing our subject out of work. He then worked at whatever came to his hand, on farms, in the harvest fields, and later in a woolen mill at Monticello. He worked in the mill for a number of years, until 1862, when the dark cloud of rebellion threatened the destruction of our fair land, and he hastened to offer himself in the service of his country. August 14, 1862, he enlisted in the Twelfth Indiana Regiment, Company D, and from that time until he was mustered out, in June, 1865, be endured all the hardships of a soldier. He was under General John A. Logan, also for a time with Sherman, and took part in the skirmishes of Grant's campaign in the vicinity of Memphis and Vicksburg. He was in the thick of many a battle, was in the siege of Jackson, fought at Chattanooga, Mission Ridge, Resaca, in the Atlanta campaign and in numerous other engagements. He was taken prisoner at Richmond, Kentucky, but was fortunately paroled in five days' time. He was with Sherman when he made his famous march to the sea and up through the Carolinas. He was a brave and fearless soldier, rendering valiant service to the cause of the Union, and enduring hardships not dreamed of by the soldiers in the late war with Spain. He participated in the grand review at Washington, and was mustered out in June, 1865.
After returning to private life Mr. Kingsbury, engaged in the general mercantile business in Michigan for couple of years, returning to Monticello, Indiana, in 1867, and working one year in the woolen mills. He again located in Michigan for a time, and then came once more to this state, where he engaged in business and has since made his home. About four years ago he started a grocery store and has met with flattering success, building up a large and extended patronage of the most desirable class. He conducts a first class store in every respect, a fact that is appreciated by the public, as shown by their continued patronage.
Mr. Kingsbury was bound by the golden fetters of Hymen to Miss Harriet Ross. Their union has been blessed by the birth of five children, viz.: William Sherman, of Columbus, Ohio; Frank Logan, of Kokomo; Estella; Burt, who is in the store with his father; and Harry, who died at the age of six years. Mr. Kingsbury has always supported the Republican party, but can not be considered a politician, as he has never sought office, although his purity of heart and honesty of purpose have led his friends to believe that he is the proper man to serve the public interests. They have persuaded him to allow his name to be used a few times, and placed him in the office of constable, where he served several years and did almost the entire collecting for the justices of the peace in the county. He also served as city marshal for two years, and four years ago was elected trustee of Union township, an important place which he still fills. His administrations have been singularly pure, and a credit alike to himself and his constituency. He was made a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows in 1872, and is past grand and a member of the encampment. He is a prominent member of Tippecanoe Post, G. A. R., and is actively interested in all its proceedings. He is a member of the Christian church and is a liberal contributor to its advancement
SIMON U. DOBBINS
The efficient sheriff of White county, Indiana, is one of the most widely known and popular men in this part of the state. He is a product of White county, having been born at Palestine, April 14, 1852, and has passed his entire life here. The house in which he was introduced to the world now does duty as a stable. He is possessed of great force of character, is zealous and ardent in whatever be undertakes, and his example and precepts have been a power for good in the community. He lives in Monticello, where his principal business interests are centered, but he is widely and favorably known throughout this part of the state. He is a son of John and Catherine (Umstott) Dobbins, and is an offspring of Irish stock. Two brothers of that name emigrated from Ireland to America at an early day, and from them are descended the numerous family of Dobbins in America.
John Dobbins was a native of Virginia. He learned the trade of a blacksmith, and conducted a shop in connection with his farm. He moved to White county, Indiana, in 1837, at a time when the country was in its infancy as regards civilization, and by his industry and integrity helped to establish those principles which have culminated in the present attractive and wealthy community. He improved a farm and on it built a blacksmith shop, where he improved his spare time in doing work for the neighboring farmers, thereby adding to his income. He married Miss Catherine Umstott, also a native of Virginia, who passed to her reward at the age of fifty five years. John Dobbins reached the more advanced age of seventy two years and eighteen days, his demise being mourned as a public loss. The children born to them were: Susan E. (Mrs. Samuel Jones); Mary A. (Mrs. George W. Lear); Jennie K. (Mrs. J. B. Birch); Simon U., subject of this sketch; Harriet A., who married Luke Rogers, and is now deceased; Sarah C, who married John Hemphill, and is deceased; John W. and Martin M., killed in the battle of the Wilderness; and Samuel P.
Simon U. Dobbins was brought up to habits of industry, and in early life was inured to all the duties of farm life. Here he formed habits of industry which have characterized his after life, while lessons of economy were instilled into his youthful mind, which, if put to practical application, would have made him a man of independent fortune. However, generosity is one of the leading traits of his character, as many grateful recipients can testify, and while he is now in comfortable circumstances his generous impulses and his desire to be of service to suffering humanity have prevented him from hoarding up his earnings and becoming wealthy, as a man of different temperament would have done. During his boyhood he was expected to herd cattle, and consequently had little opportunity to secure an education. The occasional short term of winter school which he attended enabled him to obtain but little knowledge from that source, but he was an intelligent and observant lad, and he managed to store his mind with an unusual amount of practical knowledge, which was supplemented by a term in school when he was twenty years old. He had been deprived of educational advantages so long that he fully appreciated the importance of improving this chance, and made wonderful strides. He then continued farming until 1875, when he engaged in the general merchandise business at Wolcott, this county. He continued in that line of business until 1894, when he was chosen to serve the county in the capacity of sheriff, in which office his term expired November 22, 1898. He deals in real estate and has done considerable auctioneering. He is now associated with Dean Brothers & Lincoln of Chicago, in the capacity of traveling salesman.
At the outbreak of the civil war Mr. Dobbins was most desirous of entering the army, but being merely a boy they would not take him, and he had to content himself with helping his father recruit the different companies. It was a pleasure to him, and he spent a good deal of time, working both night and day, in getting recruits together.
Mr. Dobbins has been three times married. His first wife, Mary E. Barnes, was from Monticello, and she died in 1880. She left four children: Jessie, Mrs. Robert Nordyke; Frank; Lina; and Daisy, Mrs. Harry Bardoff. In 1882 he was united to Mrs. Ellen McAnally, formerly Ellen Murdock. She died three years later, leaving one child, Nettie, who lives in Wolcott. The present Mrs. Dobbins was Miss Mary A. Dyer, to whom have been born four children. Josie died at the age of two years, and the three living are Homer, Clarence and Chauncey.
In politics Mr. Dobbins is a stanch Republican, one who is well posted on all the important questions of the times and has not formed his opinion without deep thought. He is a very popular man in the county and has held a number of positions in the gift of the people, at one time acting as justice of the peace. He was not particular to be nominated for office, but his friends knew his worth and that the party interests would not suffer in his hands, and for that reason he carried the day. He has been a prominent man in the county, as was his father, and in the discharge of his duties has been careful, fair minded and fearless. He is a member of the Masonic order, and is an honored member of the Christian church. Among his other accomplishments he has the gift of high oratorical and literary powers, and has traveled all over this section lecturing. One of his most popular and profitable lectures is " From the Cradle to the Jail/' a composition which is replete with wit, humor and information, and which has been given before many an enthusiastic audience.
FRANK B. HUMSTON
The gentlemanly and efficient clerk of White county is one of the most esteemed and highly respected citizens. Aside from his natural qualifications, his whole business training, which has been clerical work in very responsible positions, has especially fitted him for this place, and an examination of the books in the county clerk's office will convince the most doubting of his thoroughness and efficiency. He was born in New Albany, Indiana, June 6, 1864, and has been a resident of this county for the past twelve years. His father, William J. Humston, is a native of Lawrence county, and follows the vocation of an agriculturist, although most of his life has been passed in railroading. He married Miss Mehala Smith, also of Lawrence county. Four children were born to them, Frank B., the subject of this sketch; Kate, the wife of Charles N. Lindley, a Quaker of Washington county; and Mabel and John, both at home.
Frank B. Humston spent his early years on a farm, and helped with such work as usually falls to the lot of a farmer lad. He attended the common schools until he was seventeen, and then, finding no aptitude for farm work, he entered the employ of the Adams Express Company as messenger boy. As he was too young to give a bond he was kept at extra work and continued with them until he was twenty years old. He then received the appointment of bill clerk at Monon, having charge of through freight. Three years later he was appointed agent at that place, and a number of years later was made general freight and passenger agent of the Bedford Belt Line in Lawrence county. He remained there one year and then returned to his old position at Monon. While acting in this capacity he was nominated to the office of county clerk of White county, to which office he was elected in the fall of 1894, taking the office July 7th of the following year. The county is Democratic, and he is the first Republican elected to that office in twenty years. He received a majority of three hundred and fifty, showing how well he stands in the county.
He was united in matrimony to Miss Minnie B. Thacker, a native of this county. He is a member of a number of fraternal orders, among them the Knights of Pythias, the lodge and encampment of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and the Masonic order, in which he is a Knight Templar. He was extremely popular as a railroad employee and received letters from the officials of the road congratulating him on his election, while expressing regret that he must leave their employ. They made very complimentary mention of the character of his services, and expressed the desire that he might return to their employ at any time.
GEORGE K. HUGHES
Mr. Hughes is one of the most prosperous and prominent business men of Monticello, White county, Indiana, where he has a store whose stock is not excelled in this section. He was born on the parental farm in Liberty township, November 3, 1852, and is a son of John and Emeline (Morgan) Hughes. His father, who is a successful and highly esteemed farmer of Liberty township, was born in Pennsylvania in June, 1828, and came to this county eighteen years later. He is a man of sterling worth, and has brought skill to the aid of agricultural art, receiving his reward in the success which has attended his efforts. He was united in marriage to Miss Emeline Morgan, a native of Tippecanoe county. Nine children have blessed their union, and a remarkable feature is that in all these years there has been no death in the family. The children are George K., our subject; Rosa; Merrill M., of Buffalo, Indiana; Logan, a successful farmer of this county; Elmer, of Monticello; Charles, of Liberty township; Samuel, who lives on the farm; Nellie; and Perry.
George K. Hughes was reared to manhood on the farm on which he was born. He became familiar with the work incident to farm life, as it was his duty to help with such work, even when attending the country schools. He received a fair education, but not finding agricultural life suited to his requirements he left the farm on August 4, 1873, and entered the store of his uncle, Roland Hughes, at Monticello. This was a general store, but our subject knew practically nothing of business, aside from his experience on the farm. He remained with his uncle as clerk for a period of twenty years, developing a shrewdness and business acumen possessed only by first class merchants. He was thoroughly conversant with every detail of the business, and was accounted one of the most popular clerks here. In August, 1893, be launched his own craft in the mercantile world, and is meeting with a flattering success. He has one of the best appointed stores in the place, and handles dry goods, shoes and furnishing goods. His close application to business, with his reputation for fair and honest dealing, has brought to his counters the very best class of customers, and in his endeavor to live up to his reputation he but gains so many more patrons.
He was married March 13, 1873, to Susannah Builard, a native of Logan county, Ohio. Six children have been born to them, viz.: Norine, the wife of Robert Dobbins, of Wolcott; twins who died in infancy; John Henry, who is in the store with his father; and Roland Earl and Goldie F., both at home. Mr. Hughes is a Republican of very decided views and keeps well posted in the affairs of the nation. He is not a politician, the emoluments of the petty office-holder not appealing to him. He is a member of Monticello Lodge, No. 107, I. O. O. F., and although a member of the order less than three years he is now past grand. He and his family are communicants of the Baptist church, and are earnest workers for the advancement of that organization. He has lately been improving his residence property by erecting a commodious and convenient house on Railroad street, making it a most desirable possession, and the visitor is sure of finding the latch-string out and meeting a cheery welcome to his fireside.
FRANCIS EDWARD LISTER, M. D.
Dr. F. E. Lister, the present president of the White County Medical Society, and for the past two years its representative to the Indiana State Medical Association, is a leading physician and surgeon of this portion of Indiana, his home being in Brookston. Though comparatively a young man, he has already made rapid progress in his profession and now stands among the ablest physicians of the state.
William Nimrod Lister, the Doctor's father, has lived on a farm four miles northeast of Brookston, since 1867, when he purchased eighty acres of land; but to this he has added another tract of equal size. He was born in Indiana, but his father, James W. Lister, was a native of Ohio, and was of Scotch Irish and English extraction. From his early manhood until his death at thirty five, he farmed in Carroll county, Indiana. William N. Lister was one of five children, three daughters and two sons. During the civil war he was drafted, but upon being examined he was found to be physically unequal to army life and was dismissed. Politically, he is a Republican, and in religious faith he is a Disciple or Christian. In 1878 he was deprived by death of his loving wife, whose maiden name was Rebecca Ann Alkire. She, too, was an Indianian by birth, and a daughter of Samuel Alkire, who was born in Ohio, and early became a citizen of Tippecanoe and three years later of White county, this state. He was the father of several children, three of whom are yet living.
Dr. Francis Edward Lister was born near Chalmers, Indiana, December 26, 1866, and was reared on a farm with his brother and sisters. The brother, Professor John Thomas Lister, holds a chair in Eureka (Illinois) College, as teacher of German and French. One sister, Susie, is deceased, and Jennie S. is the wife of George W. Taylor, of Fargo, North Dakota.
After attending the public schools of his home district Dr. Lister was a student in the Brookston high school for a period, and later for four terms went to the Indiana State Normal at Terre Haute. Prior to going to the normal he taught one term of school and afterward also had charge of a school for two terms. Then he matriculated in the Indiana Medical College, and was graduated in 1892. Immediately thereafter he began practicing at Stone Bluff, Indiana, remaining there for three years, since which he has been established in Brookston, where he has gained the confidence and good will of all who know him. In 1895 he built a comfortable modern residence near the corner of First and Railroad streets, and here he and his estimable wife love to entertain their numerous friends. The Doctor is a member of the Odd Fellows order, of the Knights of the Maccabees, Modern Woodmen of America, and Woodmen of the World, and, with his wife, belongs to the Daughters of Rebekah, in which they have both held various offices. . In 1898 he was a representative of the local lodge to the grand lodge of the state. He is clerk and examining surgeon of the Modern Woodmen of America, and is record keeper and examining physician for the Knights of the Maccabees. Politically, he is a Prohibitionist.
January 27, 1892, Dr. Lister married Miss Anna M. Burkholder, and two children, Iva May and Paul B., have blessed their union. Mrs. Lister's parents, Christopher add Susan (Titwiler) Burkholder, are wealthy and influential farmers of Carroll county, Indiana, and have been life-long residents of that locality. In 1897 the Doctor was chosen assistant secretary of the county Sunday school association and at present is the president of the township Sunday school association. Both he and his wife are devoted members of the Baptist church and lend their means and influence to the support of religious enterprises.
CHESTER C. FRENCH
The able editor of the Brookston Reporter, Chester C. French, and for thirty one years a resident of Brookston, White county, is a gentleman of versatile talents, so much so that it is safe to say that he Would undoubtedly have succeeded in many other lines of business or professional life than the one to which he has especially devoted his energies. He has been a witness of the development of this town from a hamlet to a flourishing little city, and through the columns of the journal he edits has always advocated everything which would conduce to the well being of the place and its inhabitants. In 1894 he was elected justice of the peace and is still serving in that capacity, and for several terms he held an appointment as a notary public from the governor. At present he is precinct chairman of Prairie township, for his second term, and in 1880 he was census enumerator for the same locality. In his political belief he is an uncompromising Republican, and in the fraternal organizations he is associated with the Masons, Odd Fellows (of which he is past grand), Daughters of Rebekah and Knight of the Maccabees.
In tracing the ancestry of C. C. French it is found that he is of Scotch Irish descent on the paternal side, and that both of his grandfathers were natives of Pennsylvania. Asa French, our subject's paternal grandfather, was a pioneer settler on the Big Miami river in Ohio, and was a farmer by occupation. His death resulted from an accident received when he was between sixty and seventy years of age. The maternal grandfather of our subject was Dr. Chester Clark, who came to Indiana from the Keystone state in early days and settled near Rockville, where he practiced medicine. Later, he lived in Bloomfield, Illinois, and his last years were spent in Covington, Indiana, where he conducted a mercantile business and likewise carried on a nursery. Death came to him when he was over four-score years old.
The parents of C. C. French are Rev. David S. and Hannah L. (Clark) French, natives of Miami county, Ohio, and Pennsylvania, respectively. The father was one of thirteen children and the mother was one of five children, two of whom were sons. Rev. Mr. French was a pioneer minister in the Missionary Baptist church, and for many years he was very aggressively engaged in spreading the gospel, preaching at various points along the Wabash river and in the adjacent territory, and even across the state line in Illinois. For about six years he was pastor of a church in Covington, Indiana, occupied a Lafayette pulpit for a year or more, was in charge of the Brookston church for six years, and was located at various other places in this state. For three years he held a charge in Mahomet, Illinois, and was stationed in Bloomfield, Blue Grass, Illinois, and at other points in that state. He was a man of great force of character, and excelled in his theological expositions the most of the preachers of his day. In recognition of this he had the honor of having the degree of D. D. conferred upon him by a prominent university. In 1868 he came to Brookston, and made his home here until his death, in 1880, when he was seventy six years of age. He served for one term in the responsible position of treasurer of Fountain county, and was re-elected, but political complications lost him the office. His widow survived him a few years, her death taking place in 1893, when she was in her sixty fifth year. Three of their seven children are now living, namely: Lewis Theodore, Chester C. and Frank David, the latter of Riverside, California.
The birth of Chester C. French occurred in Covington, Indiana, February 21, 1850, and when he was seven years old his parents removed to a farm in Vermilion county. There he dwelt for four years and as soon as he was old enough he commenced working on farms. Later he rented small tracts of land and cultivated the same on his own account. When he was eighteen he moved into Brookston and attended the public schools here for a short period, after which he entered the Chicago University. In 1874 he returned to Brookston and took up the study of medicine, teaching in the meantime. About 1877 he was employed for a period in the railway mail service. Then, in conjunction with his father, he purchased the Brookston Reporter, which, saving a few years, he has since conducted. In order to thoroughly equip himself for the business he learned the printer's trade and mastered the practical details which have any bearing on the subject. In connection with the publishing of his journal, which is a representative one and first class in every respect, he does all kinds of job printing. Mr. French was admitted to the bar in 1894, and, though he has not given a great amount of his time to the calling, he has practiced to some extent. One of the most active and valued members of the Brookston Baptist church is Mr. French, who has been honored with various offices and has conscientiously and faithfully performed such duties as devolved upon him in that connection. For twenty one successive years he has been clerk of the church, and for ten years was superintendent of the Sunday school. A musician of recognized talent, he has been the chorister of the church, and has been in great demand for evangelistic work. He possesses a fine voice, and for a time was a member of what was known as the St. David's Quartet. Nor do his accomplishments end here; for it might be mentioned that he is a speaker possessing natural eloquence and force, and that he has frequently delivered lectures and addresses on various topics, and that he has often made very happy and opportune toasts at dinner parties and banquets. With one and all who know him he is deservedly popular, and few citizens of White county ate better known or more worthy of respect and esteem than Chester C. French.
JEREMIAH GOCHENOUR, D. D. S.
Numbered among the leading citizens of Monticello, White county, is the subject of this sketch, who, though a young man, has already attained an enviable position in the ranks of his profession, and has before bim a most flattering prospect. One of the native sons of Indiana, his birth occurred in Clinton county, April 5, 1868, and with the exception of the time which he spent in learning the many and varied duties pertaining to his chosen profession, be has always lived in this state.
The family, which finds an able representative in the Doctor, originated in Alsace-Lorraine, near the border of Germany; but William Gochenour, the grandfather of our subject, was a native of Virginia. In that state he was engaged in agriculture and at one time served in the militia. At an early period be removed with his family to Clinton county, Indiana, and died there when fifty six years old. His children comprised four sons and two daughters. The Doctor's parents were David and Mary (Reavis) Gochenour, natives of Virginia and North Carolina, respectively. David Gochenour lived in Eaton, Ohio, for five years, and was in his fourteenth year when he located in Clinton county, this state. When he had grown to man's estate he bought forty acres of land, and this property he proceeded to cultivate, spending the dull winter season in executing contracts for painting. At present he owns a quarter section of good farm land, and is prospering. During the civil war he was drafted, but his little family needed him at home and he hired a substitute; and while residing in another township he likewise paid for a substitute. Politically a Democrat, he served for one term as an assessor, but, after joining the Dunkard church, of which he is still a devoted member, be was opposed to holding public offices. His first wife, Mary, died in February, 1874, aged forty three years. Her father, Enoch Reavis, was of Scotch Irish descent, and was born in North Carolina. By occupation he was a farmer, and either the healthful out-door life which he lived or the strength of constitution which was an inheritance from his sturdy ancestors, or both, caused him to reach the extreme age of more than ninety years. His death occurred in January, 1898. He was twice married and was the father of ten children. In the early days of Clinton county, Indiana, be became one of its leading farmers, and few men were better known in that section of the state than he. Religiously, he was a Baptist; but his daughter, Mrs. Gochenour, belonged to the Dunkard church. For his second wife our subject's father chose Miss Margery Hurley, and they have one daughter, Anna.
Dr. Gochenour is one of eight children, the others being Levi; Mary, wife of Perry Sayler; Harrison; William; Susan, wife of William Abbey; Joseph and Jeremiah. He was reared upon his father's farm in Clinton
county, attending the district schools in winter, and later went to the Northern Indiana Normal, at Valparaiso, and the state normal school at Terre Haute. Having determined his future course, the Doctor next entered the Chicago College of Dental Surgery and was graduated in 1892. He opened an office in Hammond, Indiana, and at the expiration of two years came to Monticello, where he has since built up a large and remunerative practice. In his political views he follows in the footsteps of his father, and in his religious opinions as well. His wife, however, is a member of the Presbyterian church. Their marriage was celebrated March 22, 1893, and two children bless their union, namely: Truman M. and Delia. Mrs. Gochenour was formerly Miss Kansas Mears, her parents being John and Sarah (Dill) Mears.
THOMAS S. BOSTICK
In the early development of White county the Bostick family took a prominent part, and for nearly seventy years they have been closely associated with its upbuilding and progress. Thomas S. Bostick, of Brookston, departed from the customary vocation of his forefathers, on both sides, of the house, when he became a manufacturer and business man, instead of an agriculturist, as many generations of his ancestors had been; but he has won success in his chosen field of effort and commands the respect of all with whom he has dealings. He worked in Brookston at carpentering for many years and in 1887 established the Brookston Novelty Works, for the manufacture of all kinds of fancy wood-work, grilles, banisters, etc., hard and soft finish. He furnishes various kinds of moldings and house trimmings to contractors and builders, and his shop, finely equipped with the most modern machinery necessary in the business, is able to turn out whatever work is desired in his line, on short notice.
The paternal grandfather of T. S. Bostick was born, and lived and died in Delaware. He was of Scotch extraction, and was a soldier in the war of the Revolution. Our subject's father, Joseph, was one of four children, two of whom were daughters. Born in Delaware, he came to White county, Indiana, in 1831, before the red men had departed to the west, and in this locality he resided for over half a century. Having entered one hundred and twenty acres of government land he improved the property, reared his children there, and died on the old homestead endeared to him in a thousand ways, when past seventy seven years, in 1887. He had married Adella Chestnut, who was born in Ohio, and her death occurred many years prior to his own, in 1871, when she was in her seventieth year. They were both earnest members of the Methodist church, and possessed the love and admiration of a large circle of friends. Mrs. Bostick was one of the twelve children of Daniel Chestnut, a pioneer farmer of Ross county, Ohio, where he passed away, after a long and useful life.
Thomas S. Bostick is one of ten children, five of whom were sons, and, with his brothers, William and Daniel, he alone survives of the once large and happy family who gathered around the .hospitable table of Joseph Bostick, the pioneer. He was born on the old home farm, three miles from Brookston, in Prairie township, October 17, 1847. His education was that afforded by the old fashioned district schools, which he attended, more or less, part of each year. When sixteen years of age he enlisted in Company K, Twelfth Indiana Cavalry (One Hundred and Twenty seventh Regiment), and served from November, 1863, until after the war had closed, his discharge being dated in August, 1865. He was chosen to act in the capacity of bugler, and, with others of his company, was detailed to hunt guerrillas much of the time. He took part in the battle of Nashville and in numerous skirmishes with the enemy, and was frequently commended for his bravery and fidelity to duty. When his country no longer needed him he returned to the peaceful occupation of farming, but at the end of two years he commenced learning the harness business, which trade he followed with success for several years. He then embarked in carpentering, and, as said above, engaged in his present business, of which he has made a success by careful attention to the wishes of his customers and promptness and skill in meeting their requirements.
Mr. Bostick is a member of Brookston Lodge, No/66, F. & A. M., in which he has filled all the chairs and has been worshipful master. He belongs to Champion Hill Post, No. 171, G. A. R., and is a Knight of the Maccabees. In political affairs he is a "true blue " Republican. He is a trustee in the Universalist church, of which he and his wife are members. Mr. Bostick was married February 24, 1869, to Miss Ella Gress, a daughter of James and Clara (Kelley) Gress. They have a pleasant home on East Third street, it having been built by Mr. Bostick in 1880.
One of the thrifty successful agriculturists of Prairie township, White county, is David Phebus, one of the native born sons of this section of Indiana, birth his having occurred May 11, 1851. He is a grandson of James Phebus, who was one of the rich and prominent farmers and stock dealers of Pickaway county, Ohio, in his day, and whose death took place in that state many years ago. Of his children, Silas M., the father of our subject, was the second, and the others were named as follows: Samuel, Joseph, Absalom, Mary J. and Martha.
Silas M. Phebus, a native of the Buckeye state, was one of the pioneers of White county, the date of his arrival here being 1838. He afterward bought a tract of land, to the cultivation and improvement of which he devoted his life. In all his transactions he was honorable and just, and all worthy causes found a sincere friend in him. Death put an end to his useful career when he was in his seventy sixth year, on the 21st of August, 1898. His widow, Martha A., is a daughter of Henry L. Harvey, one of the early settlers of this county, where he entered and improved land. He was a pillar in the Christian church, and worked earnestly for the spread of righteousness. He died in 1874, loved and mourned by all who knew him. Mrs. Martha A. Phebus, his second child, died January 7, 1899, on the old homestead which was owned by her husband, and, following her early training, she was deeply interested in the Christian church, with which she was identified. Her numerous brothers and sisters were named as follows: James, Betsey, Thomas, Noah, William, Enoch, Charity, Mary, John and Joel. By her union with Mr. Phebus she had five children: David; Samuel, a farmer; Mary E. Bobsine; George, of Monon; and Mrs. Jennie White.
In his youth David Phebus attended the district schools and obtained practical knowledge of agriculture by working under the instruction of his father. He remained at home until his marriage, in 1879, when he started out independently as a farmer, and improved a homestead. In 1884 he sold the place and purchased the farm where he now resides, and has instituted valuable improvements, making it one of the most desirable farms of the township. As a citizen he endeavors to meet his obligations and to promote the good of the community and state by his ballot and influence. Politically, he favors the Democratic party, and though in no wise an office seeker he has held a few minor positions with credit.
Twenty years ago Mr. Phebus married Miss Sarah Taylor, a native of this county, and daughter of Thomas Taylor, who was born in Ohio, and came to Indiana with his parents when young, and passed the rest of his life here. Both he and his wife were consistent members of the Christian church. They were the parents of the following named children: Elizabeth, Rebecca, Sarah, Isabel, Loronzo D., Sophronia (who died in early life), George, Fanny and Ella. Mrs. Sarah Phebus died February 13, 1880, and in October, 1881, our subject married Miss Alice Taylor, whose parents, L. D. and Mary (Sayers) Taylor, were well known citizens of this county. Mrs. Alice Phebus was born in White county, April 15, 1859, and received excellent educational advantages. The only child of the first marriage of Mr. Phebus died in infancy, and his second union has been blessed with seven children, named as follows: Mabel, Walter, Frank, Bernard and Bernice (twins), Iva M. and Charles. Mrs. Phebus, who is greatly loved by a large circle of acquaintances, is a faithful member of the Christian church.
CHARLES E. BROWN
Nearly forty years have rolled away since Charles E. Brown first saw Monticello, the town in which he is now living and expects to make his permanent home. Four decades have made wonderful changes for the better, and the hamlet of long ago is now a thriving, well improved little city, a place of beautiful homes and prosperous citizens. Wherever he has resided Mr. Brown has been esteemed and highly respected, and in all local affairs has taken deep interest, using his influence to advance the public welfare.
Born in Springfield, Ohio, July 12, 1851, our subject is a son of Captain John C. and Anna M. (Schleigh) Brown. The father was born in the Buckeye state, while the mother's birth-place was in Hagerstown, Maryland. He was a son of Harlan Shepherd Brown, who was born August 12, 1794, and died October 3, 1849. His wife, Mary A. Brown, was a native of Kentucky, and her death occurred at Perrysburg, Ohio, April 15, 1872, when she was in her seventy fifth year. Both the father and grandfather of our subject were shoemakers by trade and worked at that calling during life. The grandfather was a soldier in the war of 1812. He was of Scotch Irish descent and was a local preacher in the Methodist church in the days of the old fashioned "circuit rider." John Schleigh, the father of Mrs. Anna M. Brown, was of German extraction, as his surname indicates. Born in Maryland, he learned the trade of making saddles, and subsequently was a successful merchant in Hagerstown and the postmaster there during the civil war. His death took place when he was middle aged. His first wife bore the maiden name of Mary Artz. They had three daughters and two sons. By a later marriage Mr. Schleigh had one daughter. (For full history of the life of Captain John C. Brown see the sketch following this.)
Charles E. Brown is one of five children, one of whom has been called to the better land. Florence R. is the wife of William P. Marshall, of Monticello; Alice E. married Oliver S. Dale, of Washington, D. C.; John W. resides in Logansport, Indiana; and Catherine, deceased, was the first wife of O. S. Dale. The family came to Monticello from Covington, Kentucky, in 1859, and here the father continued to dwell as long as he lived, and here the children grew to manhood and womanhood.
As he was a lad of eight years or so when he came to Monticello, Charles E. Brown commenced attending the public schools here and thus acquired his education. Having mastered the painter's trade he followed it with success for a number of years, and in 1878 went to Wood county, Ohio, where he engaged in farming. He still owns a tract of twenty acres there, but has recently returned to Monticello with the desire to pass the declining years of his life in the place endeared to him by a thousand associations of childhood.
In his political belief, Mr. Brown is a true-blue Republican, and from his noble, patriotic father, who fought and suffered greatly in the war of the Rebellion that his country might be preserved, he has inherited an earnest desire that good government should prevail, and to this end he uses such influence as he possesses. The cause of education is also dear to his heart, as it should be to every true patriot, and while in Ohio he was clerk of the local school board for several years. He likewise acted in the capacity of township supervisor. A zealous member of the Methodist church, he was superintendent of the Sunday school; class leader, trustee and steward for years, and in material ways aided in the growth and usefulness of the denomination.
In all his enterprises and endeavors Mr. Brown has found a true helpmate in his devoted wife. They were married October 14, 1877, Mrs. Brown having formerly been Miss Mary Elizabeth Hanney, a daughter of John and Marietta (Warden; Hanney. Three sons and a daughter bless the home of our subject and wife, namely: John Malvern, Anna Marietta, George L. and Charles Harvey. Mrs. Brown is likewise a member of the Methodist church and is beloved by a large circle of friends.
JOHN H. ROW
Twelve years has John H. Row been numbered among the leading citizens of Brookston, of which place he served for two terms as a member of the board of trustees. In political affairs he takes his stand on the platform of the Democratic party, and socially he is a Mason, being identified with Brookston Lodge, No. 66, F. & A. M., and Lafayette Chapter No. 3, Royal Arch Mason. For many years he has been honored with the office of deacon in the Baptist church of this place, and both he and his wife are valued members of the denomination.
Our subject's grandfather, William Row, was born in Scotland, and in early manhood came to America, settling in Ohio, where he devoted himself to farming until his death, a few years later. He had married a Miss Harrison, an own cousin of William Henry Harrison, and she after his death became the wife of a Mr. Bell. The maternal grandfather of our subject was Jarrett Ford, a native of Virginia and of Irish ancestry. At an early day he removed to Kentucky, where he acquired wealth and large landed possessions. He reared six sons and seven daughters, and lived, hale and hearty, until nearly eighty nine years of age.
Townsend D. Row, father of John H., was born in the Buckeye state, and for years he was a respected farmer of Henry county, Kentucky, whence, in June, 1863, he came to this county, settling on a quarter section of land in Prairie township, near Badger Grove. He sold half of his farm subsequently, and continued to dwell on the remainder until death claimed him, in 1876, when he was in his seventy fourth year. His wife, Margaret Ann (Ford) Row, a native of Henry county, Kentucky, had died over a score of years previously, in 1853, when about forty eight years old. Both were Methodists in religious faith. Only four of their three sons and nine daughters are now living, namely: John H.; Josephine, wife of Albert Herst; Emeline, widow of T. M. Ford; and Jane, widow of Saul Colvin, all residents of Brookston.
The birth of John H. Row took place on the parental homestead in Henry county, Kentucky, October 10, 1829. In his youth he learned every department of farm work and concluded to make agriculture and stock-raising his main occupations. Until he attained his majority he gave his time to his father, and then he rented a farm for one year and managed the property successfully. Such education as had fallen to his share was gained in the old style subscription schools of his boyhood, and with this foundation he became well informed along practical lines. On March 22, 1864, he came to White county, and has since made his home here, with the intention of being a permanent resident.
On the 26th of December, 1852, Mr. Row married Elizabeth White, a daughter of Joel and Jennie (Ford) White. Six children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Row, namely: Evander, Nora, Granville, Mary, Margaret, and one who died in infancy. Mary, the only survivor, is the wife of Charles Van Voorst, of Chalmers, and they have three children, Goldie, Mabel and Gilbert. Mrs. Elizabeth Row, who had been a devout Baptist from early life, died at her home, in February, 1885.
The present wife of John H. Row was Mrs. Susan M. (Stewart; Stewart, widow of William Allen Stewart, and a daughter of John and Susan (Chilton) Stewart, natives of Virginia. The parents were both reared in Kentucky, whither they were taken when young. John Stewart was a pioneer in Tippe-canoe county, Indiana, and as a farmer and stock raiser was very successful, owning twenty four hundred acres of land at the time of his death. His father was Allen Stewart, of Virginia, and of Irish extraction. The father of Mrs. Susan (Chilton) Stewart was George Chilton, also a native of the Old Dominion, and of German descent. He was a wealthy farmer, owning a large plantation. He was a Freemason, and had the privilege of voting for Washington as president. At the time of his death he was about " four score years and ten." The marriage of our subject and wife was solemnized February 16, 1886. Mrs. Row had one child by her first union, little Nora, who died when eight years of age.
CHARLES T. BROCKWAY, M. D.
During the five years that have passed since Dr. Charles T. Brockway established an office and commenced the practice of medicine in Brookston, he has built up a lucrative business and has won distinction among the members of his profession. He is the present health officer of Brookston, and is an honored member of the local and state medical societies. As a general practitioner he has commanded the attention of the public, and he has frequently been called into consultation with physicians in this and neighboring towns.
The Doctor's father, Truman Brockway, was born January 24, 1832, and was a native of New York state, and was one of the pioneers of Livingston county, Illinois. He built the first substantial store erected in the town of Chatsworth, and with his family lived in the pleasant and comfortable suite of rooms over the store for some years. He was a merchant there for several years, a contractor and builder, a farmer for a period, and here in the fullness of time he passed away from earth in his sixty seventh year, March 18, 1899. His wife, Sarah (Ewing) Brockway, likewise born in the Empire state, survives him. For many years she has been an earnest member of the Methodist church. Though Mr. Brockway was not regularly connected with the denomination, he gave support to the cause and was in sympathy with the grand work which is being carried on under its auspices. He held various township offices of more or less responsibility, and the respect of all who knew him was his in large measure. Both of the Doctor's grandfathers died in the east, but the wife of his maternal grandfather is still living, near Chatsworth, and is now in her ninety third year. One of the five children of Truman and Sarah Brockway died in infancy. Laura is the wife of George W. Myers, of Chatsworth, and Mary, unmarried, resides in the same town, while Dr. Frank Brockway is engaged in medical practice in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.
The birth of Dr. C. T. Brockway took place on Christmas day, 1863, in Chatsworth, and in that pretty village he spent the years of his youth. His early education was obtained at the Chatsworth public school and at the district schools ; and for five summers he worked for his father on the old homestead. Then followed twelve years of service for the Illinois Central Railroad Company as a station agent and telegraph operator. Ten years of that period were spent at Colfax, Illinois, and the remainder at Irwin, Kempton and Pontiac, same state. His health failing while he was at Pontiac, he resigned, and after his recovery he commenced studying medicine in the Columbus Medical College, at Columbus, Ohio. Later, he was graduated from the St. Louis College of Physicians and Surgeons, in the spring of 1893, and at once located in Brookston, as previously related. Fraternally, he is a member of the Knights of Pythias and of the "Rathbone Sisters," and politically he is a Republican.
The pleasant home of the Doctor, on Railroad street, is presided over by his charming wife, formerly Miss Mertie Brown, born January 1, 1864. They were married December 30, 1884, at the home of Mrs. Brockway's mother, Mrs. Mary C. (Leisure) Brown, now of Bloomington, Illinois. Her father, James Brown, was in later life a cripple, in consequence of a mini bullet received while a Union soldier in the war of the Rebellion, and died many years ago. The Doctor and wife are members of the Baptist church and take deep interest in various charitable organizations. They have two children, Howard T. and Charles J
ABRAHAM R. BUNNELL
A representative of one of the honored pioneer families who founded White county and have since been prominently connected with its development and increasing prosperity, is Abraham R. Bunnell, a retired farmer of Monticello. As an agriculturist and raiser of fine Jersey cattle, he has been very successful, and as a citizen and patriot his record is one which reflects great credit upon his name.
Nathaniel Bunnell, Jr., the father of the above named gentleman, was one of six brothers who were early settlers of Indiana, and everyone of the number lived to an advanced age. Two of them took up land in Warren county, and the others settled in White county. They were named respectively, Isaac, Stephen, Thomas, Nathaniel, Brazilla and John. Game was very abundant in the '30s and '40s, and all of the brothers were noted as hunters, making their living chiefly in trading in furs, mink and "'coons," etc. Nathaniel Bunnell entered land in White county in 1833, returned here
in February, 1834, with his brothers, and it was not until the fall of the same year that the county seat was decided upon. They were of French descent, sons of Nathaniel Bunnell, a native of New Jersey and an early settler in Ohio and White county, Indiana, coming here in 1834, and entering land in Big Creek township, where he lived until death, that event occurring when he was over seventy one. His several sons and two daughters all lived to attain a ripe old age. When he was a young man a horse fell upon him and his right leg was so badly injured that it had to be amputated, and subsequently he learned and followed the trade of shoemaker. He was much loved by all who knew him and was held in special authority as an exborter in the Methodist church. His son, Nathaniel, Jr., added to his original homestead of a quarter section of land until he had seven hundred and sixty acres, and at the time of his death, in 1891, when he was nearly eighty six years of age, he owned about three hundred acres, having given the remainder to his children. He was not only supervisor and township trustee, but was one of the founders of the Methodist church in this county, and very prominent in all its work.
. The first wife of Nathaniel Bunnell, Jr., was Susanna Runyan prior to their marriage, and she, like him, was a native of Ohio. Her father, Abraham Runyan, was born in Virginia and was a farmer. Most of his life was passed in Ohio, where he removed at an early day. His home, at which his death occurred when he was in the prime of life, was near Springfield, Clark county. Nathaniel and Susanna Bunnell were the parents of five sons and five daughters. Two of the sons, Nathaniel W. and Thomas R., lost their lives in battling for the Union, the former being killed at Gettysburg and the latter dying at the Soldiers' Home in Marion, Indiana, from the result of his army experience. The other children are all living, namely : Abraham R.; John N.; Esther, wife of William Rinker ; Sophia, Mrs. Joseph V. Ken-ton, of Kansas ; Nancy Ann, wife of George Murray ; Rachel, wife of F. D. Carson; Stephen; and Eliza, Mrs. James Eads. The mother, who was a faithful Methodist, died when sixty one years of age, in 1873. The father later married Mrs. Mary Buchanan, who is still living, her home being in Elliottsville, Indiana.
Abraham R. Bunnell was born in Clark county, Ohio, October 16, 1832, and was but two years old when be was brought to this county, which has been his home ever since. His education was, perforce, obtained in the unsatisfactory subscription schools of his boyhood. He never attended a school when there were any public funds to support it, but in the winters of 1854 and 1855 he went to a graded school in Clark county, Ohio. Then he made a somewhat extended tour in the west, doing carpenter work and being employed on flatboats on the Missouri river, his headquarters being at St. Joseph Missouri. After an absence of nearly five years he returned home and carried on a rented farm in Big Creek township from the fall of 1861 to February, 1863, when he enlisted.
In the meantime, on Christmas day, 1862, Mr. Bunnell had married Miss Susan M. Rinker, daughter of Joshua and Louisa (Reese) Rinker. The great civil war was being waged and the outcome was in doubt. In those gloomy days, when the Union cause trembled in the balance, Mr. Bunnell bade farewell to his young wife and went forth to fight for his country. Enlisting in Company F, One Hundred and Twenty eighth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, as a private, he was sent south to participate in the famous Atlanta campaign. While he was actively engaged with his regiment in the siege of Atlanta, and within sight of the city, he was captured by the rebels, August 16, 1864. Then followed months of suffering, while at the mercy of the Confederates, in the loathsome prison pens of Andersonville, Savannah, Wilborn, Blackshire, Florence and Libby. When hope had almost fled, in the spring of 1865, Mr. Bunnell was exchanged and was mustered out of the service on the 9th of the following June. His health was materially affected, it is needless to say, by the exposure and dreadful privations he endured, and the government allows him a pension of eight dollars a month.
Resuming the peaceful vocations of life our subject carried on his father's farm on shares, until the spring of 1868, when he purchased one hundred and ten acres of his father This property, located in Honey Creek township, four and a half miles, from Monticello, was his home until 1891. He traded the place in March of that year for a good brick house in Monticello, five acres of land and ten desirable lots. He still owns an interest in his father's old homestead and for a number of years has owned a fine herd of registered Jersey cattle. Politically, he is a Republican, for eight years he was a justice of the peace in Honey Creek, township and for ten years he was supervisor. He belongs to Tippecanoe Post No. 51, G. A. R., of Monticello, and is a member of the Methodist church.
The death of Mrs. Susan Bunnell, wife of our subject, occurred April 24, 1887. She was an estimable lady, loved by all, and was an esteemed member of the Methodist church. Of her six children, Levi and Nora died in infancy; Clark married Etura Long, of LaPorte county, Indiana, and is the principal of the Wanatah schools there: they have one child, Beth; Bert F. wedded Viola Scott, of this county, and has two children, Scott and May Ora, and resides on a farm in LaPorte county; Cora married William Burns, of White county, and lives in Lafayette; and Ora became the wife of James Hill, of LaPorte county, and has one son, Edward Carlton Hill.
On the 23d of October, 1889, Mr. Bunnell married his present wife, formerly Nancy S. Wall, and they have one child, John Raymond, born July 18, 1891. Mrs. Bunnell is a Presbyterian in religion. Her father, John Wall, of English descent, was a native of Pennsylvania,. and a life-long resident of that state, where his death occurred, at Birmingham, in 1875, when he was in his seventy seventh year. He had become well-to-do and had been retired for some time prior to his demise. Mrs. Bunnell's mother, Catherine (Stauffer) Wall, was of German extraction, and her life was likewise spent in Pennsylvania. Her death took place in 1878, she being in her seventy seventh year. Her father, Daniel Stauffer, was born in the Keystone state, and made farming his chief occupation. He was sixty eight years old at death, and all of his nine children attained advanced years. John Wall, the paternal grandfather of Mrs. Bunnell, was born in England and died in Pennsylvania, where he owned a farm and reared his twelve children. His brother Jacob was in the war of 1812.
WILLIAM H. HOFFMAN
Since March, 1894, William H. Hoffman has owned and managed marble and monument works in Monticello, White county. Having become thoroughly acquainted with the details of the business by several years of experience, he is qualified to furnish the public with whatever is needed in his line, and all contracts are executed with absolute accuracy and promptness. In all his business relations he has always been found perfectly trustworthy, capable and fair, and his customers are invariably his friends.
The father of our subject, Charles Hoffman, was a native of Germany, and throughout life he was exclusively occupied in agricultural pursuits. He was born and reared on the banks of the beautiful "castled" Rhine, and attended the government schools until he was twelve years of age, when he accompanied his parents upon their removal to the United States. They took up a tract of land in Wood county, Ohio, and passed the rest of their days there, living to be quite aged. Their children were nine in number, six being sons.
Charles Hoffman's first wife was a Miss Catherine Cox, a native of Pennsylvania. They were both members of the Evangelical church, and most worthy citizens in every respect. Mrs. Hoffman died in 1856, and the father later married Mrs. Smith, whose maiden name was Hoffman, but who was not a relative of his. By her first marriage she had two children, Jacob and Lydia, the latter now the wife of Albert Spotts and a resident of Fulton county, Indiana. To Charles and Catherine Hoffman three children were born : William H.; Mary, wife of Louis Strahlem; and Jeremiah, who died in infancy. The second union of Charles Hoffman was blessed with several children, four of the number surviving: Sarah, Mrs. Eli Fink, of Logans-port; Isabel, unmarried, and now keeping house for her father, who owns a small farm near Kewaunee, Fulton county; Samuel P.; and David. The maternal grandfather of our subject was William Cox, of Scotland, and later of Pennsylvania and Wood county, Ohio. He died at his home in the last named county when at an advanced age.
William H. Hoffman was born on the old homestead in Wood county, August 23, 1848, and when young he came to Indiana, and grew up in Fulton county on a farm. He attended the district schools and learned to read and write German in the German Sunday schools. Then he commenced teaching, and for eight terms during the winter season he was in charge of a school, the rest of the year being devoted to farming.
In 1875 Mr. Hoffman went to Winamac, Indiana, and on the 18th of November of that year he wedded Miss Roxie Pingry, daughter of David and Harriet (Bowen) Pingry, of Vermont. Four children were born to our subject and wife, namely: Charles D., Esther E., Henry A. and Perry D. Charles D. died in infancy and Perry D. when nineteen months old. David Pingry was born March 19, 1807, in Orange county, Vermont, and lived there until he was ten years old, Then, going to Coshocton county, Ohio, he married, in 1831, and of his five sons and five daughters three survive, Mrs. Hoffman, James, and Martha, wife of John T. Collins, of Kokomo. In 1837 Mr. Pingry bought land in Jay county, Indiana, later became a resident of White county and Pulaski county, and for some years prior to his death, in 1885, when nearly seventy eight years of age, he had lived retired in Winamac. His wife departed this life in 1880, at the age of sixty three years. They were both faithful members of the Christian church. Two of their sons, James and David, were soldiers in the war of the Rebellion.
After his marriage William H. Hoffman opened a barber shop in Winamac, and conducted the same successfully for ten years. At the expiration of that period he became interested in his present line of business, but for a number of years was employed by an old established firm, for whom he sold monuments. For about five years he has been engaged in the business on his own account, as previously noted. Politically he is a Republican, and socially an Odd Fellow. He is one of the trustees of the Methodist Episcopal church, with which denomination both he and his wife are identified.
LORENZO D. TAYLOR
The Taylor family, represented in White county by the subject of this article, has been identified with the history of Indiana for the past seventy years or more, during which period it has been developed from a swamp and forest to the state as we know it today one of the best in the Union. In this great work Lorenzo D. Taylor has borne his share, and is justly entitled to have his name placed in the roll of the founders of the commonwealth.
Born in Tippecanoe county, Indiana, March 31, 1832, he is a son of Richard and Susan (Harvey) Taylor, who were natives of Ohio, in which state their marriage was celebrated. At an early day they became residents of Tippecanoe county, where they carried on a farm until our subject was about two years old, when the father died. He had made a fair start toward independent fortune, but by his early death his widow was left with but a small amount of property. He was a Jackson Democrat, but took no active part in politics. Both he and his devoted wife were members of the Methodist church, and actively interested in religious matters. Owing to the fact that his father died so many years ago, our subject knows little of his ancestors on the paternal side. His mother was the fourth of eight children, her father being Stephen Harvey, an early settler of Vermilion county, Ohio, whence he removed to Ashland county, his death taking place in Perrysville. His other children were Benjamin, Samuel, William, Sarah, Anna, Mary A. and Rebecca.
Until he was fourteen years of age, Lorenzo D. Taylor continued to live with his widowed mother, after which he was a member of the household of J. W. Smith, a favorably known citizen of this county. He was a good friend to the youth, teaching him many useful things concerning agriculture, and setting him a worthy example. Later Mr. Taylor was employed at wages by Levi D. Osborn for some four years, and in 1855 the young man married and proceeded to carry on rented farms until the outbreak of the civil war. In 1863 he enlisted in Company F, One Hundred and Twenty eighth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and was placed in the western department of the army, commanded by Generals Thomas and Schofield. He took part in many battles and skirmishes, and though in one engagement seven bullet holes were put through his clothes he escaped injury and was never captured. Among the more notable battles in which he saw severe service were Resaca, Dalton, Lookout mountain and Kenesaw mountain. He was mustered out at Goldsboro, North Carolina, and received his honorable discharge in March, 1866. Returning home, he has since given his faithful attention to agriculture, and since 1875 has cultivated the homestead in Prairie township, which he purchased in the year named. He has made numerous substantial improvements, drained the land with tiles, and now possesses one of the best farms in this section. He raises a general line of crops and keeps considerable live stock, of a good grade. He takes commendable interest in public affairs and uses his ballot in favor of the Republican party, frequently attending conventions of the same.
The first marriage of Mr. Taylor was to Mary, daughter of Joseph Sayre, originally of Ohio, and later of White county, Indiana. In 1857 he removed to Missouri, where he lived until his death. Of his six children, Jennie, John P. and Edgar died while young. Frank is following the same calling, farming, and Alice is the wife of D. Phebus. Mrs. Mary Taylor died January 10, 1867, a consistent member of the Christian church. In 1869 Mr. Taylor married Eliza, daughter of Jonathan Scott, an early settler of this county, who had come here from the Buckeye state. Mrs. Taylor became the mother of a son, George, who died while young, and her death took place in 1871. For the past twenty years our subject has been aided in all his labors and undertakings by the lady to whom he was married in 1879, Nancy, widow of Samuel Burrows. She was the mother of five children, two of whom have died, and the others, Thomas C, Jacob O. and Lena B. (now Mrs. J. Haggardy), were reared at the home of Mr. Taylor. By his last marriage Mr. Taylor had one child, Cullen, born July 4, 1883, but death claimed him at the age of eight weeks.
Mrs.Taylor's father, Thomas C. Smith, was a native of New Jersey and later came to Ohio, where he married Ann Brown, from Virginia. About 1833 they emigrated to Indiana, first locating in Tippecanoe county and later in this county, where the father entered one hundred and twenty acres of land and passed the remainder of his life, his death occurring February 26, 1848. His wife survived him many years, dying April 1, 1882. Of their twelve children, Harriet was born August 29, 1831, and died January 15, 1848; Margaret, born December 19, 1840, died March 14, 1848: both of these died unmarried; Fanny, February 21, 1830, died October 14, 1834; Mary C, Newton, Nathan and Jasper died in childhood; Tacy Jane married Solomon Crose, of Chalmers, who is since deceased; George B. is a farmer of this township: he has been blind for twenty one years and yet often goes about alone for miles, can go to any of the towns and neighbors in the vicinity unguided. He enlisted in Company F, Twenty ninth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and his service and exposure in the army were the cause of his affliction. During his two years of service he was engaged in many hard fights and severe skirmishes, and was with Sherman in his "march to the sea." Elizabeth became the wife of H. McCloud, who is now deceased; and Clarinda is the wife of W. Ramey, of Prairie township.
Mr. and Mrs. Taylor are faithful members of the Christian church, with which her parents also were associated. Mr. Taylor has served as a deacon and church treasurer, and has been a valued worker in the Sunday school and other departments.
WILLIAM J. GRIDLEY
With the exception of two years spent in Illinois, the three-score years of William J. Gridley's life have been passed in Indiana, in which state be has witnessed wonderful improvement in all lines, since the days of his early recollections. He has been engaged in the practice of law since he attained his majority, and is one of the reliable, honored members of the White county bar, his home having been in Monticello for years.
Timothy Gridley, better known as Colonel Gridley, the father of our subject, was a hero of the war 1812, and was with General Jackson in the battle of New Orleans. He was born in the state of New York, where his father settled upon coming to this country from England, his native land, and was one of four children. In the days when the Wabash & Erie canal was being built Colonel Gridley, in company with a Mr. Brenneman, took the contract for the construction of the canal between Huntington and Carrollton, Indiana. It was in the year 1836 that the Colonel became a resident of Huntington, and after he had successfully completed his contract he engaged in keeping hotel at Pittsburgh and Delphi, this state. He died at his home in Pittsburgh, Carroll county, in 1854, when nearly three-score and ten years of age. His wife, whose maiden name was Philura Higley, and who was born in Connecticut, but passed her girlhood in New Jersey, departed this life in Monticello, in 1878; when in her eightieth year. She was a Presbyterian, while the Colonel was a member of the Episcopal denomination. She was of Scotch descent, and was one of three children, the others being sons.
The only child of Colonel and Philura Gridley, William J., was born in Carroll county, Indiana, September 1, 1838. His education was such as the public schools afforded until he reached his fifteenth year, when he matriculated in Notre Dame College. Owing to the death of his father he did not graduate, but came to Monticello and commenced the study of law with the Hon. David Turpie. At twenty one he was admitted to the bar, and has since practiced in the courts of White, Pulaski, Tippecanoe and Cass counties. In short, his practice here has been continuous, save two years or so when he was a resident of Watseka, Illinois. Success has come to him as the result of steady application and earnest work in his profession, and numbered among his clients are many of the leading business houses and prominent citizens of this section of the state. During the progress of the civil war, when his own affairs needed his constant attention and presence, he paid for a substitute to take his place in the ranks of those who " wore the blue " and fought for native land and principle. Politically, he favors the platform and nominees of the Democratic party.
The pleasant home of Mr. Gridley, on Bluff street, Monticello, is presided over by his daughter, Miss Leona Fay, an accomplished young lady. The first marriage of Mr. Gridley was celebrated November 20, 1860, Miss Mary A. Burns being the lady of his choice. Mrs. Gridley was a daughter of Liberty and Amanda (Griggs) Burns. Three children blessed the union of William J. and Mary Gridley, namely: Ada, who died at the age of eighteen years; Liberty; and May, whose death at eight years was the result of brain fever. Liberty is a promising lawyer of Kahoka, Missouri, and married in that city. July 16, 1878, occurred the marriage of Mr. Gridley and Miss Mary Cloud, and their only child is Leona Fay. Mrs. Gridley, who was a most estimable and amiable lady, beloved by all who knew her, was a member of the Methodist church. Her death took place in 1882.
The life record of the subject of this article should impress the minds of the young with the oft repeated axiom that merit commands success, almost without exception, and that a lad may rise from a humble place to one of prominence in the community if he will but labor earnestly and perseveringly to that end.
Born in Hocking county, Ohio, May 2, 1834, Benjamin Greenfield is a son of ---- and Nancy (Berry) Greenfield, both of the Buckeye state. As the father died when our subject was but two years of age and his mother departed this life some two years subsequently, he knows but little of his ancestry, save that they were intelligent, respected members of the agricultural class. He was an only child, and was brought to White county, Indiana, by his mother, who accompanied some relatives to this locality. The orphan was bound out to John Burns, his mother's cousin, who played the part of a wise, kind father toward the lad, who fared as well as the other children in the family. He remained on the farm owned by Mr. Burns until twenty seven years of age, working a part of the land on shares. For three years after his marriage he rented farm land, and in 1862 removed to the homestead in Prairie township, which has since been his place of abode. He is the owner of this place, which is well improved, and, in addition to this, he has another valuable farm in this portion of the county. As a farmer and stock raiser he has met with deserved success, and, in view of the fact that he has been the sole architect of his fortunes, his high standing is something of which he has just cause to be proud. Politically, he is an uncompromising Republican, and religiously, both he and his wife are identified with the United Brethren church.
Two score years have rolled away since Mr. Greenfield wedded Miss Martha A. Hornback, a daughter of Adam and Margaret (Dungan) Hornback, who were natives of Kentucky and Ohio, respectively, and were married in Ohio. Adam was a son of Isaac and Margaret (Funk) Hornback, both of German extraction and natives of the Blue Grass state, where their marriage was celebrated. They reared their children in Ohio, and in their old age they came to Indiana to live with them. The mother died in this state, but the father returned to Ohio, where his death occurred. He was a licensed preacher in the Christian church, and led a noble, conscientious life. His son Simon carried on the old homestead in Ohio until his death. The other son, Adam, settled in the Hoosier state as early as 1838, at which time he bought land in Prairie township, and proceeded to improve a farm. His wife was a daughter of John and Mary (Titus) Dungan, natives of Ireland and Virginia, respectively. They were married in the Old Dominion, and Mr. Dungan became a wealthy farmer and slave owner. They were strict Presbyterians in religious belief. Their children included Mrs. Jane Bethel, William, John, Patterson, Margaret, Mrs. Rebecca Dolby, Mrs. Nancy Burchart, and Titus, who lived on the old Dungan homestead until his death, and his son is now managing same. Of these, only two, Margaret and Rebecca, settled far away from their original home, the latter going to Iowa. Adam Hornback became a prosperous farmer of this locality, and was the first to build a frame house in this part of the country, as well as to be the possessor of the largest barn in the county at one time. At death he left a valuable estate, though he had always been generous and charitable in the extreme, and was noted for his liberal hospitality. His wife was a faithful member of the Christian church, and before the days of churches in this new country their home was used as a meeting place for worship. He was not connected with any denomination, but his worthy career was animated by the spirit of Christianity. Politically, he was a Whig and a Republican, but his death took place soon after the formation of the last named party. His wife survived him six years, her death taking place in 1864. Their children were Sarah, who married a distant relative of the same surname; Nelson, deceased; Isaac, now in the west; Milton, deceased; John, a successful farmer of this township; Alexander, deceased; Martha A.; F. T., who owns and operates the old homestead; Rebecca, Mrs. D. Little; and Mrs. Nancy E. Benjamin.
To the union of our subject and wife a son and daughter were born. Charles E., the son, is the superintendent of the Cook County Hospital, in Chicago, is a graduate of Rush Medical College of that city, and has an office at No. 260 South Halstead street. He enjoys a large and remunerative practice, and is one of the most successful physicians and surgeons of the metropolis. His wife was formerly Miss Edna Davry, of Prairie City, Illinois.
Alice M., the only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Greenfield, received a liberal education and was a successful teacher for some time. She is now the wife of Artemas Ward, a professor in Taylor University, at Upland, Indiana.
GEORGE W. DYER
Born in Virginia, July 14, 1831, George W. Dyer, a pioneer of Prairie township, White county, is a son of Zeblon and Eliza (Harness) Dyer, who were natives of the Old Dominion and were married there. The paternal great grandfather of our subject, James Dyer, was a Virginian, born in 1740, and in 1758, in a fight with the Indians at Fort Sibert, headed by Chief Buckhorn, only he and one other man escaped being killed by the red men, but he was held for his bravery, after killing several of the tribe. At eighteen Mr. Dyer was thus captured by the Indians and was held a prisoner two years, at the expiration of which period he accompanied some of the tribe to Pittsburgh upon a trading expedition, and while there he managed to elude his captors. Returning to Virginia, he passed the rest of his life there, as did his son, Roger, the grandfather of our subject. He owned a large plantation and numerous slaves, but he was a faithful member of the Methodist church, and never sold or maltreated any of his slaves. Of his seven children only one, Allen, survives, he being still a resident of Virginia. The others were Morgan, James, Susan, Mary, Diana and Zeblon, of whom the last mentioned was the only one who left his native state.
For a few years after his marriage Zeblon Dyer resided in Virginia, but in 1835 emigrated to this state and first located near Dayton, Tippecanoe county. In the spring of the following year he came to this county, and in 1840 he bought land in Carroll county, improved a farm and reared his children to useful employment's. He died in 1880, at the ripe age of seventy eight years, and was survived eight years by his widow, who was eighty two years old at the time of her death. Both were members of the Methodist church. They suffered many hardships and privations in the early days here, and not the least was the fever and ague, which cast a blight upon everything at times. Mr. Dyer was a good shot, and brought down many a fine deer and other wild game with his old fashioned gun. Politically, he was a Whig and Republican. Of their seven children, Sarah, Morgan and Susan are deceased, and G. W., Fanny, Mary and Jennie are living.
As he was brought to this state when he was young, George W. Dyer's memories are all of Indiana. He remained on the homestead until he had grown to manhood, when he and his brother purchased the land which constitutes his present farm. Some improvement had been made upon this tract, comprising three hundred and forty two acres, and part of this land they afterward sold. Our subject later purchased his brother's interest, and with redoubled energy set to work to make his farm one of the best in the community. As it stands, the place certainly deserves to be thus classified, for it is well tiled, under high cultivation, and improved with substantial buildings. It is pleasantly situated three miles east of Brookston.
Mr. Dyer had but limited opportunities for an education, but made the best of such advantages as the primitive district schools of this region afforded. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company F, Ninety ninth Regiment of Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served in the Army of the Tennessee. On account of physical disability, the result of long illness, he was granted an honorable discharge in 1863, and returned home. He is a member of Champion Hill Post, No. 171, Grand Army of the Republic. When three years old his first sight of slave selling' came to him. At his Virginia home his mother, brother and himself had crossed a road to get water from a spring, and two men came along with a negro chained, whom they had just bought. This negro used to come to Mr. Dyer's home evenings and play the fiddle, and it seemed a sad affair when Tony, as he was called, was led away in chains, saying, "Good-bye, Morge, I'll never see you again."
In 1866 Mr. Dyer married Mrs. Elnora (nee Senseney) Vanscoy, the widow of Jacob Vanscoy, by whom she had had one child. Of the five children born to our subject and wife the eldest, George G., is an enterprising farmer; Eliza is the wife of Edward Con way; Frank died when in his eighteenth year; and Grace and Robert are still at home and are of great service to their parents in their busy daily labors.
ARTHUR J. BRACKNEY
An honored pioneer of White county, Arthur J. Brackney is a veteran of the civil war, in which great conflict he acted the part of a loyal patriot, distinguishing himself by his devotion to duty, bravery and general reliability. In the private walks of life he has been none the less a true and patriotic citizen, meeting every responsibility in a manly way and striving to perform his duty at all times.
John Brackney, the father of our subject, was of Scotch descent. He was born in Ohio, and, as far as is known, was an only child, but his parents dying when he was quite young he knew but little of his relatives. He was bound out to a farmer of the Buckeye state, and prior to reaching his majority he learned the cooper's trade. About 1822 he removed to Indiana and bought a small farm, which he carried on for a few years. Later he sold this property and returned to his native state, where he took a contract on the Miami canal construction, but ultimately lost all he had made in this line, as one of the contractors absconded with his money. In 1830 Mr. Brackney settled at Dayton, Tippecanoe county, renting farms in that vicinity for some years. He then entered and improved a farm in Carroll county, rearing his children there. Subsequently to the death of his wife in 1850, he sold his property and lived with a daughter in this county until his death, seven years later. He was a consistent member of the Methodist church, and his entire life was honorable and worthy of emulation. He had married Miss Mary Wilson, a daughter of Arthur Wilson, of Virginia. She was a native of Ohio and was one of seven children, the others being Jesse, Jackson, Nancy, Maria, Lucy and Sally. Her parents were identified with the Universalist church. Mr. Wilson, who was a carpenter by trade, was the postmaster at Dayton, Indiana, for a number of years, and was prominent among the early settlers there. To John and Mary (Wilson) Brackney eleven children were born: Lucinda, Mrs. John D. Compton; Reuben, deceased; Mrs. Sally Hannum, whose husband was a major in the civil war; Mrs. Hannah ; Jesse, deceased; Arthur J.; Mrs. Lydia Beard; John, deceased; Elias, who died when returning from service in the Union army; Francis, who died at the age of fifteen years; and Mrs. Marietta Ramsey. Only three of these are now living. Arthur J. Brackney was born in eastern Indiana December 31, 1823, and since 1845 he has been a resident of White county. Until 1849 he was employed as a carpenter and farm hand, then rented land for two years and in 1853 bought the homestead in Prairie township, which he has since cultivated. At first he lived in a log cabin, which was supplanted by a better domicile in time, and in addition to this he has made numerous improvements upon the place, as the years have rolled by. He is an uncompromising Republican, but does not aspire to occupy public positions.
In August, 1862, Mr. Brackney enlisted for three years or as long as the war should last, in Company F, Ninety ninth Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He served in the Army of the Tennessee and went with Sherman on the march to the sea, and though he participated in many hard fought battles and campaigns he was never wounded nor captured by the enemy. He was quite ill at one time, but refused to go to the hospital, and when his health permitted was never absent from his post of duty. He marched to Washington at the close of the war and took part in the grand review. At Indianapolis he received his honorable discharge, June 15, 1865.
In November, 1849, Mr. Brackney married Miss Harriet Bryan, who was born in Coshocton county, Ohio, August 16, 1833, a daughter of John and Susan (Graves) Bryan. They were natives of Pennsylvania and Ohio, respectively, were married in the Buckeye state, and in 1836 located on land which the father entered in Tippecanoe county. He was a well read man for that day, was a great Bible student, and from his early manhood was a leader in the Christian church. He died in 1841, and his wife departed this life in January, 1847. In the meantime she had married R. Higman, and had become the mother of one child, Milla, who died while young. She was a daughter of Joseph Graves, of Virginia, who came to Indiana about 1831, and passed the rest of his days in Tippecanoe county. One of his sons, Charles, was a soldier in the war of 1812, and died at Fort Meigs. The other children were Benjamin, Elijah, Joseph, John, Johnson, Lucy, Harriet, Isaac, Susan, Jacob, Sarah and Daniel. Mrs. Brackney is one of four children, her sister Mary being the wife of H. H, Meeker; her brother Levi, a resident of Peru, Indiana, and her youngest having died at the age of fifteen years.
To the union of Mr. and Mrs. Brackney two sons and two daughters were born, of whom the eldest, Corydon, died when three years old. Jennie is now Mrs. Cochran; Mary is Mrs. Dimmit, and Charles W. is a well known farmer and stock raiser of this county. Mrs. Brackney, like her parents before her, is a member of the Christian church.
S. A. Carson As a banker and businessman S. A. Carson has been a valuable factor in White County for many years. His individual integrity of character has helped to make the State Bank of Monticello an institution enjoying the highest confidence in the community which it serves. The present generation in White County knows the name of S. A. Carson too well to require introduction, and for the memory of the future the following brief sketch is written of his life.
S. A. Carson was born on a farm in Carroll County, Indiana, January 5, 1859. His father, William Carson, was a native of Tennessee and was brought to Indiana at the age of seven years, his parents locating in Carroll County, and on the old homestead in that county William Carson lived the life of a quiet and prospering farmer until his death.
Mr. S. A. Carson had an education in the common schools, was taught the lessons of industry and thrift at an early age, and lived on the farm until twenty-one. Then followed several years of teaching in the rural schools, and for sixteen years he served as deputy county auditor of White County. Mr. Carson began his career as a banker by assisting in the organization of the Monticello National Bank, in which for eight years he held the pos of cashier. He then sold his interests in the National Bank to become president of the State Bank of Monticello, and has since been chief executive in that institution.
Mr. Carson is affiliated with the Masonic order in the lodge and council degrees, also with the Knights of Pythias and the Knights of the Maccabees. Politically he is a democrat. On May 15, 1885, he married Mabel Spencer, daughter of Dr. William Spencer. They are parents of two children; Spencer: and Helen who is the wife of Earl McCollum, who lives in Chicago.
Additional information about this story S. A. Carson bio from 1915 History of White County Indiana Added by Kean MacOwan on 19 Apr 2007
FRY, Miss Laura AnnFRY, Miss Laura Ann, artist, born in White county, Ind., January 22nd, 1857. She is of English descent. Her father and grandfather are artistic designers and wood-carvers in Cincinnati, Ohio. Miss Fry, when still a child, was sent to the Art School in Cincinnati, to develop the talents for drawing and modeling which she had already displayed. She remained in the institution for twelve years, studying drawing under Professor Noble and modeling under Professor Rebisso. She then went to the Art Students' League in New York City. She learned the art of carving from her father and grandfather. One of her productions, a panel showing a bunch of lilies and dedicated to Mendelssohn, took the first prize, a hundred dollars in gold, when the Cincinnati women had offers of prizes for designs to decorate the organ screen of Music Hall. Miss Fry has made good use of her talents and training. She has had charge of the wood-carving school at Chautauqua Assembly for three years. The work done by her pupils there is quite equal to work done in the same line by the pupils of the best school in London. Miss Fry has worked much in china and pottery. She was one of the original members of the Cincinnati Ladies' Pottery Club, organized in April, 1878, to make original experiments and researches in the work of underglaze coloring and decorations. That club existed for ten years, and to it is due the credit of having set many good styles and methods, which have been meritorious enough to be adopted by the regular profession, and without credit acknowledged to the originators. Miss Fry's present home is on a farm in Ohio, but most of her work has been done in Cincinnati. She has been 'connected with Purdue University, Lafayette, Ind. Although she is the daughter of an Englishman, she is proud to call herself an American. She glories in being a Hoosier and in living in a land where she enjoys the privilege of doing the work for which her inclinations and talents best fit her.
(Source: American Women by Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Vol. 1, 1897. Transcribed by Marla Snow)
MERTZ, William M., lawyer; born, Burnettsville, Ind., (White Co) Jan. 15, 1871; son of Daniel A. and Sarah (Sieber) Mertz; educated in public schools of Burnettsville, Mt. Morris (Ill.) College, graduating,1890; University of Michigan, degree of Ph.B., 1896; Detroit College of Law, LL.B., 1899; married at St. Louis, Mo., Apr. 21, 1906, Lois Atwood Ferguson. Reared on father’s farm until 21 years of age; taught country school and after graduating was instructor in history in Central High School, Detroit, for three years, studying law at night and at University of Michigan Summer School; has practiced law since Oct., 1899, also part of time, instructor in oratory, Detroit College of Law; member of law firm of Dalton & Mertz. Member Wayne County Bar Association. Independent Republican. Dunkard (German Baptist or Brethern) in church affiliation. Club: Fellowcraft. Recreation: Farming. Office: 72 Home Bank Bldg. Residence: Wellington Apts.
MERTZ, William M.
Submitted by Christine Walters Source: "The Book of Detroiters by Albert Nelson Marquis 1908"