Adair County Biographies


J. F. Baudler

J. F. Baudler is president of the First National Bank of Fontanelle and in business circles occupies a most enviable position. He is honored and respected by all, not alone by reason of the success he has achieved but also owing to the straightforward business policy that he has ever followed. Moreover, his record proves that success is not a matter of genius or of luck, as held by some, but is rather the outcome of clear judgment, experience and enterprise.

Mr. Baudler is a native of Saxe-Coburg, Germany, where his birth occurred July 6, 1855. His parents were Ernest and Elizabeth (Kaiser) Baudler, both of whom spent their entire lives in Germany. The son was reared under the parental roof and was educated in the public schools of his native country. In accordance with the laws of the land he served for three years in the German army, from 1874 until 1877. His father was a farmer by occupation, and after leaving the army Mr. Baudler worked on his father's farm until 1883, when he came to the United States, bringing with him a capital of but twenty dollars. He first took up his abode in Bureau county, Illinois, where he was employed as a farm hand, thus gaining his start in the new world.

In the spring of 1885 he was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Ritter, also a native of Germany, who came to the United States in 1884. Immediately following their marriage they removed to the west, making their way to Iowa. They settled in Jackson township, Adair county, where Mr. Baudler rented a half section of land owned by an Illinois man. The farm was badly run down at that time and was largely covered with a growth of briars, so that his neighbors predicted that he would starve to death before he could get the place into a cultivable condition. With determination and characteristic energy, however, he began his work, cleared the farm and in the course of time transformed the place into productive fields from which he annually gathered good harvests. He also extended his efforts to the live-stock business, beginning, however, with but five cows and five hogs. A few years later he bought with his first carload of cattle an eighty-acre farm, and from that time he has continued to prosper, increasing his farming interests and his live-stock business from time to time until he is now one of the substantial residents of Adair county. He still owns two hundred and forty acres of valuable land and has sold off two hundred acres since his removal to Fontanelle.

In 1904 he took up his abode in the town, where the succeeding years have been passed, and he is today one of the foremost business men of the city. Some time after removing to Fontanelle he purchased some stock in the First National Bank and in 1912 he bought the stock of William Johnson in the bank and was elected president of the institution. He still owns the controlling interest and remains at the head of the bank, carefully directing its policy and winning for it a substantial measure of success. He has made a close study of the banking business and his laudable ambition and energy have been elements in the growth of the institution.

To Mr. and Mrs. Baudler have been born, four children, as follows: Katherine, the wife of Ernest Miller, who operates her father's farm; Lydia, who gave her hand in marriage to Diedrich Stamberger, of La Salle county, Illinois; Louise, who is the wife of Fred Welsch, of La Salle county, Illinois; and Pauline, at home.

Mr. Baudler and his family are all members of the German Lutheran church and are interested in those elements which are forces in the moral development of the community. In 1906 he returned to his native land for a visit, spending about six months in that country. His political endorsement is given to the republican party and he keeps well informed on the questions and issues of the day. Though of German birth, he is strictly American in spirit and interests. The man who comes to the new world to establish his home should no longer remain a "German-American" or retain any other term which indicates in a way a half-hearted allegiance to his adopted land. Mr. Baudler, since becoming allied with the new world, is thoroughly American and his attitude toward all question relative to the welfare of his community is that of a public-spirited citizen. He has given generously to further plans for the public good and his business life has been such as has added to the material prosperity of the district in which he lives. His example indicates what may be accomplished when energy points out the way and his record proves that success and an honored name may be gained simultaneously.

[History of Adair County, Iowa, 1915, Submitted By: Cathy Danielson]


Adam Burg

Adam Burg, formerly of Jackson township, was for many years engaged in wagon making and gained an enviable reputation as an expert workman. His demise, which occurred in 1900, was deeply regretted by his many friends. He was born in Germany, April 9, 1850, but when an infant of six months was brought by his parents to America, the family home being established in La Salle county, Illinois. The father followed agricultural pursuits until his demise, which occurred in that county. The mother passed away in Adair county, Iowa, in 1906. They were the parents of eleven children, seven of whom are still living.

Adam Burg was reared in La Salle county, Illinois, and acquired his education in the district schools. He remained at home until he attained his majority and then learned the wagon making trade, which he continued to follow throughout his life. He was a rapid and accurate workman and as he was always honest and straightforward in his business dealings he was well patronized and highly esteemed in his community. At the time of his death he was residing in Jackson township and in his demise the community lost a valued citizen.

In 1876 Mr. Burg married Miss Louisa Bloom, a native of Germany and a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Peter Bloom. Her mother died when she was but an infant and not long afterward her father also passed away. She was given a home by strangers and remained in Germany until she was eighteen years of age. She then emigrated to America and located in Adair county, Iowa, where her marriage occurred.

Following the demise of her husband in 1900 she purchased two hundred acres of fine land on section 15, Jackson township, this county. She is renting the farm to her son but still resides upon the place. She is a woman of excellent business ability and manages her affairs well. She is the mother of eleven children, namely: Conrad; William; John; Anna, the wife of Anthony Bellinghausen, a resident of Oklahoma; Minnie, who married E. J. Hall, of this county; Joseph; Mary, the wife of William Diers; Frank, deceased; Lena, who married Clarence Kriens; Leroy; and Martha L., at home.

Mr. Burg gave his political allegiance to the democratic party but never desired to hold public office as his business demanded his entire time. His integrity was never assailed and his many admirable traits of character bound his friends to him 'by strong ties of affection and respect and they still cherish his memory. Mrs. Burg is a devout member of the Roman Catholic church, whose teachings constitute the guiding rules of her life.

[History of Adair County, Iowa, 1915, Submitted By: Cathy Danielson]


Nis Christensen

Nis Christensen owns and operates an excellent farm embracing two hundred and forty acres on sections 14 and 15, Grand River township. His birth occurred in Germany on the 22d of May, 1867, his parents being Nis A. and Kathrina (Evensen) Christensen, both of whom were natives of Denmark. The father still resides in Germany, but the mother has passed away. To them were born six children, four of whom survive.

Nis Christensen acquired a common-school education in his youth and when seventeen years of age set sail for the United States, desiring to test the truth of the many favorable reports which had reached him concerning the opportunities and advantages of this country. After landing on American shores he made his way to Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie county, Iowa, and began working as a farm hand, being thus employed for three years. Subsequently he cultivated a rented farm in Audubon county, this state, for several years and then purchased eighty acres of land in Cass county, operating the place for four years. On the expiration of that period he disposed of the property and purchased his present home farm of, two hundred and forty acres on sections 14 and 15, Grand River township, Adair county, where he has carried on agricultural pursuits continuously to date. He has made a number of substantial improvements on the place and in connection with the production of cereals makes a specialty of raising and feeding hogs, both branches of his business proving profitable. In its neat and thrifty appearance the farm indicates the supervision of a practical and progressive owner, and the well tilled fields annually yield golden harvests.

Mr. Christensen has been married twice. In 1890 he wedded Miss Louise Frost, by whom he had ten children, namely: George A.; Theodore; Clarence E.; Dora, who is deceased; Hans H.; Harry W.; William; Walter; Julius; and one who died in infancy. The wife and mother passed away in 1907 and two years later Mr. Christensen was again married, his second union being with Mrs. Christina Sorensen, who is a native of Denmark and emigrated to the United States in 1908. By her first, husband she had two daughters, Christa and Esther.

Politically Mr. Christensen is a stanch republican and he has ably served as school director for two years. Fraternally he is identified with the Modern Woodmen of America, while his religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Lutheran church, to which his wife also belongs. The hope that led him to leave the old world and seek a home in the new has been more than realized, for here he found the opportunities which he sought, and by dint of untiring industry and energy has won a place among the prosperous and representative citizens of his community.

[History of Adair County, Iowa, 1915, Submitted By: Cathy Danielson]


Boatswain Osborn Warren Deignan, USN, (1877-1916)

Osborn Warren Deignan was born on 24 February 1877 in Stuart, Iowa. He enlisted in the US Navy from that state and served as a Coxwain on the collier Merrimac during the Spanish-American War. Phillips remained to serve as one of eight volunteer crew members when Rear Admiral William T. Sampson ordered her sunk to block the entrance of Santiago Harbor, Cuba. On the night of 2-3 June 1898, during the courageous attempt to execute this mission, Merrimac's steering gear was disabled by enemy gunfire, and she sank without obstructing navigation. Her crewmen were rescued by the Spanish and made prisoners-of-war. After the Battle of Santiago de Cuba destroyed the Spanish fleet a month later, Deignan and his shipmates were released. For his "extraordinary heroism" during this operation, he was awarded the Medal of Honor.

Deignan was promoted to the warrant officer rank of Boatswain on 9 April 1900. As an officer his initial assignments were in the Philippines, first at Manila, then at the Naval Station, Cavite. In June 1902, he reported for duty on USS Oregon and later in that year transferred to the receiving ship Independence, at the Mare Island Navy Yard, California. Boatswain Deignan was stationed at Navy Yard, Pensacola, Florida, in 1903-1904. Next assigned to the receiving ship Franklin, at Norfolk, Virginia, he remained there for less than a year before reporting for his last tour of duty on the monitor Amphitrite in April 1905. Boatswain Deignan retired on 21 April 1906 and thereafter resided in the Los Angeles, California area. Osborn W. Deignan died on 16 April 1916 in Cannon City, Colorado and is buried at Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Glendale, California.

Source: Department Of The Navy -- Naval Historical Center, http://www.history.navy.mil/


Mrs. Charles Adelbert Gibbs

Mrs. Lola Elizabeth Gibbs of Greenfield was born at Henry, Ill., Sept. 6, 1869. She is the daughter of Edward Payson Faris and Fausta C. Scholes. Her father was a native of West Virginia, his ancestors having fought in the Virginia troops in the Revolutionary War, He served for three years in the Civil War. Her mother's ancestors came to America from England in 1825. After completing a course in the Greenfield high school she taught for several years.

On Sept. 3, 1890, she was married at Henry, Ill., to Charles Adelbert Gibbs. They have four daughters: Edna Lillian, Fausta Louise, Gertrude Irene and Mildred.

She was a charter member of the Ladiesí Wednesday Afternoon Club, and has served several terms as its president. It is a village improvement club and has accomplished a great deal to beautify Greenfield and to better its sanitary and civic conditions. She is a member of the P. E. O. chapter and has served as its president for several years, and has been a member of several state conventions. She is also a member of the O. E. S., and has filled several offices in the local chapter. While she has always been a very helpful agent in every movement which has been for the betterment of the little city in which she lives, her greatest interest has been in her home and family. In religious faith she is a Presbyterian and is a woman of very strong character.

[The Blue book of Iowa Women, by Winona Evans Reeves, Publ. 1914, Transcribed by Dana Kraft]


John Ehrenfried

John Ehrenfried, the period of whose residence in Adair county covers forty-three years, was long and actively identified with agricultural interests here but is now living retired at Fontanelle in the enjoyment of well earned ease. His birth occurred in Germany on the 16th of September, 1844, his parents being Henry and Fredericka Ehrenfried, who spent their entire lives in that country. They had five children, three of whom survive.

John Ehrenfried acquired his education in the schools of his native land and remained at home until he had attained his majority. In 1868, when a young man of twenty-four years, he set sail for the United States and after reaching American shores made his way to Lee county, Illinois, where he worked on a farm for four years.

In 1872 he came to Adair county, Iowa, and here continued working as a farm hand for four years more, on the expiration of which period he purchased eighty acres of land on section 9, Summerset township. He erected good buildings on the property and engaged in its operation, annually gathering good crops which found a ready sale on the market. In 1894 he sold the eighty acres and bought one hundred and sixty acres of unimproved land in the same township, which he also converted into a modern farm. He has developed two farms in Adair county and thus contributed to its agricultural progress. Eventually accumulating a comfortable competence, he put aside the active work of the fields and purchased a handsome residence in Fontanelle, where he is now spending the evening of life in honorable retirement. He may truly be called a self-made man, for the prosperity which he now enjoys has come as the direct result of his own etorts and unfaltering perseverance.

In 1874 Mr. Ehrenfried was united in marriage to Miss Amelia Flaeshman, a native of Germany and a daughter of George and Margaretta (Bomgardner) Flaeshman, who spent their entire lives in the fatherland. They had seven children, four of whom are yet living.

To Mr. and Mrs. Ehrenfried have been born four children, as follows: Lena A., who is deceased; John A., on the farm; Emma, who is the wife of Fred Newman, a landowner of Jackson township; and Elsie, who gave her hand in marriage to William Schroeder, of Fontanelle.

Mr. Ehrenfried gives his political allegiance to the republican party and has ably served in the capacity of road supervisor. Both he and his wife are devoted and consistent members of the Lutheran church. He has never had occasion to regret his determination to seek a home in the new world, for here he found the opportunities which he sought and with the assistance of his estimable wife he has won well deserved and gratifying prosperity.

[History of Adair County, Iowa, 1915, Submitted By: Cathy Danielson]


Dr. L. E. Foster, M. D. C.

Dr. L. E. Foster, who is one of the younger veterinary surgeons of this section of the state, is also one of the ablest and most successful. He was born in Madison county on the 2d of May, 1888, a son of Ashford L. and Jennie (Orr) Foster, natives respectively of Madison county, Iowa, and of Ohio. The paternal grandfather, John Foster, removed from Ohio to Madison county, Iowa, in the early days of its settlement and was a well known pioneer. The mother of our subject removed to Madison county in young womanhood with her parents. Ashford L. Foster followed agricultural pursuits during his active life but for the past fifteen years has lived retired in Winterset.

Dr. L. E. Foster was reared under the parental roof and attended the public schools in the acquirement of his elementary and secondary education, being graduated from the Winterset high school with the class of 1907. In the fall of that year he took up the study of veterinary surgery, entering the Chicago Veterinary College, from which he was graduated in 1910. For the next two years he was house surgeon of the college and assistant to the president and during that time he gained much experience that has been of great value to him since he began the independent practice of his profession. On the 1st of May, 1912, he located in Greenfield and in the intervening three years has built up an extensive practice. He is known as an able veterinarian not only throughout this county but throughout adjoining counties, and the large measure of success which he has gained is unusual for one of his years.

Dr. Foster is at present serving as deputy sheriff of Adair county, having been appointed to that office on the 1st of January, 1915. He belongs to Crusade Lodge, No. 386, A. F. & A. M., and is also a member of Creston Lodge, No. 605, B. P. 0. E., of Creston. He holds the complete confidence and respect of his colleagues in his profession as well as of the general public and personally he is very popular. Although his time is largely taken up with his work as a veterinary surgeon he finds opportunity to take an active part in movements seeking the advancement of his community and his public spirit is one of his marked characteristics.

[History of Adair County, Iowa, 1915, Submitted By: Cathy Danielson]


Jacob Glade

A fine farm of three hundred and one acres in Jackson township is the visible evidence of the prosperity of Jacob Glade, a well known stockman. A native of Germany, he was born February 21, 1863, and is a son of Michael and Christina Glade, an account of whose lives appears elsewhere in this work. Our subject remained with his parents until he became of age and then began his independent business career, renting land which he cultivated for three years. At the end of that time he purchased a farm in Prussia township, this county, and devoted three years to its operation and improvement. At the end of that time he sold the place and subsequently bought three hundred and one acres on sections 27 and 84, Jackson township, where he still resides. He has made a number of improvements upon the place since it came into his possession and keeps everything in excellent condition. He makes a specialty of raising Poland China hogs and is one of the most successful stock-raisers in his township.

In 1889 Mr. Glade married Miss Carolina Hofmann, who was born in Adair county, Iowa, of the marriage of Peter and Margaret (Bitner) Hofmann. Her parents were both born in Germany, but in 1850 came to America, locating first in La Salle county, Illinois. After residing there for nineteen years they came to this county and located upon a farm. Eventually, however, they removed to Minnesota, where they are still living. Twelve of their fifteen children survive. Mr. and Mrs. Glade have five children, Charles P., Emil W., Minnie M., Ida S., and Lucy R.

The democratic party finds in Mr. Glade a stalwart supporter, as he believes firmly in the wisdom of its policies. He has served as road supervisor and school director and takes much interest in everything relating to the public welfare. Fraternally he belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America at Bridgewater. He is well known both within and without that order, and all who have been brought in contact with him recognize his ability and integrity.

[History of Adair County, Iowa, 1915, Submitted By: Cathy Danielson]


Faran M. Key

Faran M. Key was born in Adair county, Iowa, on November 19, 1863. When eleven years old he left his home state and with his parents moved around considerably. Thus we find him in Cowley county, Kansas, later in Benton county, Arkansas, and then back again in Iowa.

When 24 years old he married Miss Annie Wright who became the mother of two children. She died in 1893. From his second marriage Mr. Key has five children making in all seven.

He came to Garfield county in 1888 and immediately pre-empted a quarter section of land, and in 1901 filed upon his homestead. Mr. Key is a popular and public spirited man. He was elected sheriff by the populist party in 1901 and re-elected two years later. He has engaged in the implement business, but at the present gives all his time to the plumbing business, and sinking of wells and erection of windmills. The deepest well in the county - 325 feet - has been sunk by him.

A sketch of Mr. Key would not be complete without mentioning his business with the U. S. government. The star mail routes of the upper valley have been for years in his hands. Thus he contracted to carry the mail from Burwell to Taylor and Almeria in 1894 and still controls that route. He has likewise the Blake route, and he had the prime route- from Burwell to the mouth of Gracie Creek- till it was discontinued.

[The Trail of the Loup, 1906, submitted by CD=FOFG]


Lucian Moody Kilburn

Lucian Moody Kilburn, of Greenfield, has devoted much of his life to agricultural pursuits, but has also engaged in the loan and insurance business and since 1888 has bean president of the Adair County Mutual Insurance Association. He was born in Boscawen, New Hampshire, January 20, 1842.

The Kilburn family is of English origin, the American ancestor being Thomas Kilburn, who was born in Cambridgeshire, England, in 1578, and came to America in 1639 accompanied by his three sons and two daughters, all of whom had then reached maturity. He settled in Weathersfield, Connecticut, but one of his sons, George Kilburn, went to Rowley, Massachusetts, and was there registered in 1640 as a freeman, or landowner. He was the founder of the branch of the family of which Lucian M. Kilburn is a descendant in the seventh generation. His grandfather, Eliphalet Kilburn, was a Massachusetts minuteman at the time of the outbreak of the war between the Colonies and the mother country. He participated in the battle of Bunker Hill and was also present at the capture of Burgoyne at Saratoga, New York. His son, Eliphalet Kilburn, Jr., was born in Boscawen, New Hampshire, in 1804, and in 1882 married Mehitable Foster, who was born in Canterbury, New Hampshire, in 1808. She was the daughter of Asa Foster, who also served as a soldier of the Revolutionary war but would never accept a pension or a land warrant for his services, believing it to be an improper thing to do so. He died at his home in the old Granite state at the notable age of ninety-five years. Both Mr. and Mrs. Eliphalet Kilburn, Jr., have passed away, the former in 1863 and the latter in 1899 at the age of ninety-six years.

Lucian M. Kilburn pursued his education in the New London (N. H.) Literary Institute and the Elmwood Academy at Boscawen, New Hampshire. He left the latter institution in the fall of 1862 in order to respond to President Lincoln's call for three hundred thousand men for nine months' service, enlisting in the month of October as a private in Company E, Sixteenth New Hampshire Volunteer Infantry. He was at once elected by his company to the position of corporal and so served until honorably discharged at the close of his term. He participated in the engagement at Fort Burton, at the mouth of the Red river, in Louisiana, and after the capitulation of the fort was stationed therein with his regiment, remaining there for about two months. Later the Sixteenth New Hampshire participated in the Port Hudson campaign, and after its close Mr. Kilburn's term expired. Immediately afterward he returned home and for six months was ill with malarial fever. The regiment had been assigned to duty in the swamps of Louisiana, and the hardships undergone there destroyed the lives of half of the men and disabled three-fourths of the remainder. Privations, fever and malaria were rampant and the war took the full toll in health from the members of that regiment.

In November, 1868, Mr. Kilburn left New Hampshire and made his way direct to Fontanelle, Adair county, Iowa, although he had in the meantime spent a year and a half in the state of Massachusetts. He was accompanied by his brother Charles and his mother. His brother, Galen F., had already become a resident of Fontanelle, having made the journey from the east by stage in 1857, while Lucian M. Kilburn traveled by rail, the Rock Island having been built to Casey and the Burlington to Afton, Iowa. On reaching this state Mr. Kilburn turned his attention to farming, which has been his chief occupation throughout his life. He also taught school for two terms at Fontanelle. Mr. Kilburn has dealt in loans and insurance and has been connected with various other business enterprises as a side line at different times. Since 1888 he has been president of the Adair County Mutual Insurance Association, and he is also a director of the First National Bank of Fontanelle. He continued his residence in that place until the latter part of 1913, when he removed to Greenfield, where he now makes his home.

On the 19th of October, 1870, in Adair county, Iowa, Mr. Kilburn was married to Miss Elizabeth H. Peet, a daughter of Josiah W. Peet, and to them have been born four children, two sons and two daughters, but Charles W. died in 1897, at the age of twenty-five years, and a daughter died in infancy. Charles W. was a graduate of Highland Park College, Des Moines, with the class of 1894 and at the time of his death was assistant principal in the college at Memphis, Missouri. The surviving son, George G., born in 1874, was also graduated from the Highland Park College of Des Moines in 1894. The daughter, Mary L., is the wife of Rev. Raymond M. Shipman, a Methodist minister now occupying a pastorate at Mount Ayr, Iowa.

Although Mr. Kilburn has passed the seventy-third milestone on life's journey, he is hale and hearty, as alert mentally and physically as many a man several years his junior. His political allegiance has always been given to the republican party since age conferred upon him the right of franchise. For twenty years he served as treasurer of Summerset School township.

In 1893 he was elected to the Iowa state senate from the Sixteenth district, comprising the counties of Adair and Madison, to fill a vacancy caused by the election of A. L. Hager to Congress, and in 1895 was reelected for a term of four years, serving in the twenty-fifth and twenty-sixth regular, the twenty-sixth special and the twenty-seventh sessions of the Iowa general assembly. His long residence in Adair county enables him to speak with authority concerning the events which have left their impress upon its history and, indeed, he has taken an active part in shaping that history.

[History of Adair County, Iowa, 1915, Submitted By: Cathy Danielson]


William Dayton McCollum

William Dayton McCollum, one of the most popular citizens of Greenfield, who is successfully engaged in business as a real-estate, loan and abstract dealer, became a resident of Adair county in 1874. He was born in Windsor County, Vermont, September 30, 1856, and is a son of Ezra and Ellen M. (Farwell) McCollom, who were natives of the Green Mountain State. The family is of Scotch-Irish origin, and several of its representatives came to America in an early day, locating in New Hampshire. The father of our subject was born November 5, 1831, and was a physician and surgeon, practicing his profession in Windsor County, Vermont, throughout his entire life. His death occurred there at the age of forty years. His wife, who was born July 9, 1834, is yet living in Windsor County. They had a family of three children, namely: William D., of this sketch; Mary Della, wife of Frank L. Hubbard, of Rochester, Vermont; and Leon Ellwood, who is engaged in the real-estate and rental business in St. Louis, Missouri. The father of this family was a man of superior ability and force of character, self-educated, and paid his own way through the Berkshire Medical College. He was a stanch Republican in politics, and was known to some, extent as a campaign speaker. He held membership with the Methodist Episcopal Church, and his wife belongs to the Congregational Church. She has been a second time married, but has no children by the second union.

Mr. McCollom, whose name introduces this sketch, spent his early boyhood days in the county of his nativity, and at the age of fifteen years was deprived of a father's care and counsel. He attended the high school of his native town, and at the age of eighteen, in the winter of 1874- 5, came to Iowa, living first with an uncle in Jefferson township, Adair county. The first winter after his arrival he taught school, and in March, 1875, went to Fontanelle, which was then the county seat, there securing employment as Deputy County Auditor, a position which he filled for three years. That year (1875) the county seat was moved to Greenfield, and Mr. McCollom became a resident of that city. In 1876 he was appointed Deputy County Surveyor and in 1877 he was elected" County Surveyor, filling that position for two years. . In 1879 he formed a partnership with John Hetherington, under the firm name of Hetherington ,& McCollom, and "began business as a dealer in real estate, loans and abstracts. The connection between these gentlemen continued until the fall of 1888, when the partnership was dissolved by mutual consent. Mr. McCollom then purchased a half interest in a lumber business and was engaged in the same until October, 1894, when he once more entered the field of endeavor to which he had formerly given his energies and which now engrosses his attention. He is the best posted man on land and land values in this section of the State. His integrity is above question and his high reputation as a business man places him among the leading citizens of Greenfield. He owns here a pleasant residence, besides other valuable property, being half owner of Martin & McCollom's addition to Greenfield.

On the 25th of December, 1877, Mr. McCollom was united in marriage to Miss Myra Peat, a native of Cincinnati, Ohio, and a daughter of James Peat, who for some time was a prominent lawyer of Cincinnati, whence he came to Adair county. Four children have been born to our subject and his wife--Marian C., Howe, Glenn and Fausta.

In his political views Mr. McCollom is a stalwart Democrat, a leader in the councils of his party, but stooping to none of the wiles or questionable ways of modern politicians. With the reins of the city government of Greenfield in hand he has three times efficiently served as Mayor, and has given his active support and co-operation to every enterprise which he believed would prove of public benefit to the community. He has been chairman of the Democratic Central Committee and his counsel is gladly received by his party.

His social relations connect him with Crusade Lodge, No. 386, A. F. & A. M., of which he is now serving his fourth term as Worshipful Master. He is also Past Worthy Patron of Greenfield Chapter, No. 91, O. E. 5.; a member of St. John'S Chapter, No. 73, R. A. M.; and Bethany Commandery, No. 29, K. T.; Greenfield Lodge, No. 375, 1. O. O. F.; and Garfield Encampment, No. 110, number him among their members, and he has filled all their various offices. He is also connected with Martha Lodge, No. 37, Daughters of Rebekah; was the first Chancellor Commander of Greenfield Lodge, No. 199, Knights of Pythias and belongs to the Rathbone Sisters. Mr. McCollum is one of the most popular and esteemed citizens of Adair county.

[Source: A Memorial and Biographical Record of Iowa, Chicago,
The Lewis Publishing Company, 1896, Page 483-485
Transcribed by Nancy Piper]


Henry Schutt

Henry Schutt, who operates an excellent farm in Orient township, is a native of Germany, born March 16, 1869, and is a son of Fred Schutt. Both his parents were also born in the fatherland and there the mother passed away. The father, however, emigrated to America in 1888, taking up his abode in Cedar county, Iowa, where he resided for ten years. At the end of that time he removed to Crawford county, where he is still living.

Henry Schutt remained with his father until he became of age and then began farming on his own account in Crawford county. Subsequently he removed to this county and is now carrying on general agricultural pursuits in Orient township. He is at once practical and progressive in his methods, and his labor is rewarded by gratifying financial returns.

Mr. Schutt was married in 1896 to Miss Mary Schuldt, who was born in Germany, a daughter of Carl and Mary (Jacobs) Schuldt, both likewise natives of the fatherland. In 1884 the family removed to America and located in South Dakota. Subsequently they took up their residence in Shelby county, Iowa, but both parents passed away in Crawford county, Iowa. Mrs. Schutt is one of a family of seven children and by her marriage has become the mother of five, namely: Ida, Carl, Elsie, Clara and Anna.

Mr. Schutt votes the republican ticket and is now serving acceptably as school director. Both he and his wife are devout members of the Lutheran church, to the support of which they contribute. His life has been characterized by unswerving integrity, and all who know him respect him highly.

[History of Adair County, Iowa, 1915, Submitted By: Cathy Danielson]


Ellis W. Wolfe

Ellis W. Wolfe is the owner of an excellent farm of three hundred and twenty acres situated on sections 8 and 4, Lee township, and in the further development and improvement of the place he spends a busy life, his labors being attended with gratifying results. Iowa numbers him among her native sons, for his birth occurred in Jackson county, March 14, 1871, his parents being Jacob and Elizabeth (Ellis) Wolfe. The father was a native of Pennsylvania and the mother of Indiana and at an early period in the development of Iowa they came to this state, remaining in Jackson county until they took up their abode upon a farm within the borders of Adair county. Their remaining days were here passed and they became the parents of five children, of whom four are yet living.

Ellis W. Wolfe continued at home until he reached his majority and then began farming on his own account by renting land. For fifteen years he continued to cultivate farms which he leased but during that period he carefully saved his earnings and as soon as possible made investment in property, becoming the owner of eighty acres in Grove township. There he lived for five years, at the end of which time he sold the property and bought a farm in Guthrie county, Iowa, which he owned for a short time. He then traded for a farm in Lee township, Adair county, but afterward disposed of that place and bought one hundred and sixty acres on section 8, Lee township. He afterward bought one hundred and sixty acres more on section 4, Lee township, and he now owns three hundred and twenty acres, all of which is improved. All the modern equipment of a farm is to be seen upon this place, which is divided into fields of convenient size by well kept fences, while commodious and substantial barns and outbuildings furnish ample shelter for grain, stock and farm machinery. He uses the latest improved machinery to facilitate the work of the fields and in all regards his place is a model farm. He devotes considerable attention to raising and feeding stock and that branch of his business is returning to him a substantial income.

In 1912 Mr. Wolfe was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Piers, a native of Michigan and a daughter of Thomas L. and Sarah Piers, both of whom are deceased. Our subject and his wife have one son, Leroy W. Mr. Wolfe votes with the republican party but has never been an office seeker, being content with exercising his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of his party. He belongs to the Odd Fellows Lodge No. 875 and his wife is a member of the Christian church. Mr. Wolfe deserves much credit for what he has accomplished, for he started out in life empty-handed and may truly be called a self-made man. He has worked persistently and energetically, overcoming all the difficulties and obstacles in his path, and today he is one of the substantial agriculturists of Lee township.

[History of Adair County, Iowa, 1915, Submitted By: Cathy Danielson]


Mrs. O. R. Yeager

Mrs. Katherine Ambrose Yaeger, of Greenfield, is one of the most successful business women of this state, owning and managing one of the large department stores of southeastern Iowa. She was born in Peoria, Ill., Feby. 27, 1868, the daughter of Robert Ambrose and Anne Creeden, natives of Ireland, who came to this country in 1865. At the age of fifteen, she left school and a year later began to gain a practical knowledge of the dry goods business in one of the leading stores of Creston, in which she was employed for nine years.

April 10, 1894, she was married to Orville R. Yaeger, who that year established the Yaeger store in Greenfield. For fourteen years she and her husband conducted the store most successfully, until his death, in 1908, since which time she has been sole proprietor.

In religious faith she is Catholic. She is very generous in her aid to charity and philanthropic organizations. She is a member of the Commercial Club, the L. W. A. C., a federated club of Greenfield. She joined the P. E. O. sisterhood in 1901; she has served the State Grand Chapter as organizer, treasurer, vice-president, and was elected state president in 1911 all of which state offices she filled with the greatest efficiency. For the past four years she has annually audited the state treasurerís books as well as those of the supreme chapter. One of the facts which speaks of the personal side of this business woman, is that all who are in her employ are devoted to her and her interests. Strikes or dissatisfied employees are quite unknown in that establishment. Mrs. Yaeger is an enthusiastic motorist and takes her pleasure out of doors in that way.

[The Blue book of Iowa Women, by Winona Evans Reeves, Publ. 1914, Transcribed by Brenda Shaffer]


Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.