John C. Chapple
John C. Chapple (Rep.) is serving his third term as a member of the assembly from Ashland county, having been elected in 1908, 1916 and 1918. In his last campaign he received 1,554 votes to 36 for J. A. Cobb (Ind.) Mr. Chappie was born in La Porte City, Ia., May 27, 1875, was educated in the public schools, Cornell college, of Mt. Vernon, Ia., and Northland College, Ashland. He learned the printers' trade and engaged in the newspaper business, publishing the La Porte City, Ia. Press, the Saturday Evening Press at Phoenix, Ariz., and for about 25 years has published the Ashland Press. He is also vice-president of the Chapple Publishing Co., of Boston, publishers of the National Magazine, which is edited by his brother, Joe Mitchell Chapple. He is a staunch Republican and during the war devoted a great deal of time to war work.
[The Wisconsin Blue Book (1919) submitted by FoFG mz]
William H. Clark
Born in Blackhawk county, Iowa, and removing from there to Missouri with his parents when he was but one year old, then changing his residence to Kansas at the age of sixteen and to Colorado in 1880, when he was twenty-three, William H. Clark, of Meeker, Rio Blanco county, has had knowledge of peoples and conditions in four states, and from the experience thus gained has had his vies broadened and his faculties quickened, so that he is a man of much worldly wisdom and practical common sense. He has also had experience in several occupations in different places, and has profited in the same way through them. He began life’s journey on December 29, 1857, and in the new home to which the family moved a year later received a common-school education. The death of his mother when he was sixteen caused all the children who were old enough to begin earning their own living, and he prepared himself for the profession of school teaching by attending private schools and individual effort. He took up school teaching as a profession, which he followed in Montgomery county, Kansas, five years, in the meantime qualifying himself for a life work of wide usefulness by studying civil engineering, in which he acquired great proficiency and is still engaged. In 1880 he located in Colorado, and in 1883 became one of the early settlers in the vicinity of Meeker. Here he found a wide and profitable field for his new professional knowledge, the country being new and undeveloped, and there being need of many surveys and works of construction throughout this and adjoining counties. He entered into the work with eagerness, and ever since then he has been busily occupied in its various branches with great credit to himself and advantage to the territory he has wrought. From 1897 to 1900 he was also county superintendent of the public schools, and in this department of public usefulness he was also of great service. During his professional career of more than twenty years in this state he has made many government surveys, and has done a large amount of valuable work in several counties, especially those of Garfield, Rio Blanco and Routt. Giving earnest attention to the proper use of the public domain, he was instrumental in having the department of the interior eliminate from forest reserves vast areas of agricultural land, and had introduced and passed the bill for a resurvey of the northwestern portion of the state embracing about one hundred and fifty-six townships, thereby settling many contests and much litigation. In 1883 he took up a ranch which he improved and which he sold in 1887. When the hour was ripe for the separate organization of Rio Blanco county he took an active part in the movement and was very helpful in promoting it and hastening its conclusion, saving the new county from getting the worst of it by finally adjusting the boundaries. He then secured the patent for the town-site of Meeker and devoted himself energetically to building up and developing the town. He stands high in the community and is generally cordially esteemed for the work he has done in promoting its best interests. He served three years as mayor of Meeker, and his administration of the office was marked by wisdom and vigor, enterprise and breadth of view. In political allegiance he is an earnest and zealous working Republican, and in fraternal circles belongs to the Masonic order, the Odd Fellows and the Woodmen of the World. His parents were George W. and Lavina (Myers) Clark, the father a native of New York state and the mother of Indiana. They were farmers and were fairly successful at the business. The father served in the Civil war from its beginning to its close, entering the army as a private and being mustered out as an officer. He was a stanch Republican and took a great interest in public affairs. He died in 1882, having survived his wife nine years. They had a family of nine children, six of whom survive them, James, of Meeker; Mary, wife of John Pettijohn, of Terre Haute, Indiana; William H., the subject of this sketch; Benjamin F., of Meeker; Ida, wife of Andrew hardy, of St. Joseph, Missouri, and Charles E., of Terre Haute, Indiana. William was married on April 9, 1885, to Miss Frances Pierce, a daughter of D.W. and Lucretia (Higgins) Pierce, who were born and reared in Ohio and soon after their marriage settled in Michigan, removing later to Kansas, where the father died. The father was a soldier in the Civil war and lost his life in the memorable contest. Of their three children two are living, Mrs. Clark, and Jessie, wife of Thomas Sweet, of Manhattan, Kansas. Mr. and Mrs. Clark have had five children, of whom Robert E., Douglas E., Hazel and William K. are living and Donald is dead.
[Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
Hamilton Corning, superintendent of booms and river works, at Port Edward mills. Was born in Canada, near Montreal, May 19, 1820. He worked at lumbering in Canada, and after he came here in August, 1851, worked on the river, and at logging for Clinton and others awhile, and afterward built dams, piers and booms in the Wisconsin River. For many years past he has been superintendent of river works for J. Edwards & Co. He was married, Feb. 4, 1849, to Miss Charlotte Arnold; she died in 1855, leaving four children — Charles J., Margaret A. (now Mrs. Tibbets), William G. and Mary E. (now Mrs. Allds). Feb. 6, 1861, he married Miss Margaret A. Arnold, a sister of his first wife. They have two children, John J. and Hamilton. Charles J. was born Dec. 24, 1854. He has attended the Riverside Institute, at Lyons, Iowa, one year, and two years at the Iowa Agricultural College, also the State Normal School, at Cedar Falls, Iowa, and has taught school several terms.
[History of Northern Wisconsin (Wood County, Wis.) 1881, page 1207; submitted by FoFG mz]
Rev. Effie McCollum Jones
Rev. Effie McCollum Jones of Waterloo, minister, lecturer and worker along philanthropic lines, was born near Ft. Scott, Kansas, March 29, 1869. She is the daughter of Cornelius A. McCollum, a native of Ohio, and Martha Kidwell, of Tennessee. She received her earliest schooling in the district schools of Kansas, later attending a training school in Ft. Scott. In 1888 she entered Lombard College, pursuing studies in the college department and carrying the work in Ryder Divinity school at the same time, from which she received the degree B. D. in 1892 and D. D. in 1907.
She married Ben Wallace Jones, a classmate and with him was ordained to the ministry of the Universalist church in 1892. Their first home was at Waterloo where Mr. Jones was pastor of the church of the Redeemer. Mrs. Jones did missionary and supply work over the state. In 1894 they moved to Barre, Vt., where they were called as co-pastors of the First Universalist church, one of the oldest and strongest churches in Vermont. Here Mr. Jones died, Jany. 19, 1898, during an epidemic of typhoid fever, throughout which he had aided many, only to fall a victim himself. Dr. Jones remained more than six years as pastor after her husband’s death. She had a wide range of influence and activity here outside her church. In 1904 she was called again to Waterloo, her husband’s first pastorate.
In 1910 Dr. Jones was honored by being one of the American speakers at the International Congress of Religious Liberals in Berlin. She is an officer of the Associated Charities, of the Woman’s Club, W. C. T. U., P. E. O., Visiting Nurse Association and a trustee of Lombard College.
[The Blue book of Iowa Women, by Winona Evans Reeves, Publ. 1914, Transcribed by Dana Kraft]
Guy Laverty is practically speaking a Nebraska product. Though born in Black Hawk county. Iowa, when only two years old he came with his parents to Nebraska and Cass county. Here he spent his boyhood and attended the rural schools.
The Lavertys moved to Valley county in 1884 and settled on a farm in Geranium township. Guy had no inclination to become a farmer, so came to Ord where he attended the high school. Later he taught school for some four years and in 1890 found time to attend the Fremont Normal school. In the fall of 1892 his legal career began. Then he entered the law office of Hon. Chas. A. Munn. A year later he was admitted to the bar. He immediately thereupon moved to Burwell and was elected county attorney in 1894 and re-elected twice. He has today a very remunerative law practice writes insurance and makes a specialty of abstracts. Mr. Laverty is a populist in politics.
He was married to Miss Emma M. Glover at Ord August 31, 1892. They have two children, Cecil and Carmen. Mrs. Laverty is an expert accountant and stenographer and has been of invaluable assistance lo her husband in his upward career. Mr. Laverty is very public spirited. In the M. E. church he has been for years a mainstay; on the school board he has been elected and re-elected time and again.
[The Trail of the Loup, 1906, submitted by CD=FOFG]
John Thomas Milliken
John Thomas Milliken was born 5 July 1845, Walker Township, Centre County, Pennsylvania, son of Samuel and Catherine (Kephart) Milliken. He died 13 October 1914, Stratton, Hitchcock County, Nebraska, of typhoid fever.
He married 24 March 1867, at the home of her parents, Black Hawk Township, Black Hawk County, Iowa, Ann M. Merwin, who was born 27 October 1847, daughter of Joseph and Jeanette (Beers) Merwin and died 26 August 1929, Stratton, Hitchcock County, Nebraska.
John was about two years old when he moved with his family to Stephenson County, Illinois. There he attended school and grew to manhood. Between February 1661 and February 1864, they moved to Black Hawk County, Iowa. There at Poyner Township, 23 February 1864, he volunteered for service in the Civil War for the term of three years. He mustered in at Fort Dodge, Davenport, Iowa as a private in Company C, 9th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, receiving bounty pay of $60 and advance monthly pay of $13. He was described as having grey eyes, dark hair, light complexion and a height of five feet five inches. He was discharged on 18 July 1865 at Louisville, Kentucky, the war being over before his enlistment was up. He owed the U.S. $5.90 for clothing account and $6.00 for arms and equipment., He received $120, the remaining amount of his bounty. It is a tradition that he took part in the Grand Parade in Washington, D.C. after the war. He had a three section, leather bound, telescope which he carried in the war and that was later in the possession of his grandson, Merwin Milliken. Merwin then gave it to his son, Merwin Jr.
After their marriage in 1867, John and Ann rented the farm of her father in Black Hawk Township, Black Hawk County, Iowa, and remained there until 1879 when Joseph Merwin sold the farm. They made their home in Lester Township until 1882 when they moved to Lincoln County, South Dakota with his parents, brothers and three sisters. Family tradition tells ,of the "boys" herding cattle all the way to the James River. John's sons would have been aged 9 to13 when they moved to South Dakota. John, not finding land in South Dakota that suited him, then moved to Dundy County, Nebraska where on 8 June 1888 he made a homestead entry on SE 1/4 of Section one, township three north, range thirty-six, west in Dundy County, Nebraska.
These people were truly pioneers. The land was a plateau deeply gouged with coulees and canyons which were often impassable by team. This divided the area in a way in which neighbors across the coulee were virtual strangers, bonding together according to the lay of the land rather than distance and making a different town their market place. Highland area was settled by the Shillingtons, beforementioned in the family of Mary Jane (Milliken) Ochs, while Ash Grove was settled by Harrison and Milliken families, Stratton was their market town. Harrisons donated land for Ash Grove Cemetery where most of our family is buried.
The first school was in Reichart's two-room "soddy".Light was provided at church or school with families taking turns bringing their own lanterns, kerosene and song books.' Tradition attributes Ann (Merwin) Milliken as the leader of the Sunday School.
People did their laundry on wash boards, burned cow chips, carried water from the well and doctored with home remedies such as skunk oil, goose grease, and burnt sulphur.
This area became part of the United States in a 1854 treaty. Nebraska was a territory which included the present states of Nebraska, North and South Dakota, all of that part of Montana east of the Rocky Mountains, three-fourths of Wyoming and parts of Colorado. By 1885, most of the good land had been taken, making the transition from Indians and buffalo to complete settlement in just 20 years.
The drought in 1890 reduced the settlers population by half. Those who had money left and they who were too poor had to stay. Buffalo had been hunted there for many years and large quantities of bones were strewn over the prairie. After the coming of the railroad, they were marketed for $2 or $3 per ton. Some of the homesteaders turned "bone pickers", exchanging a wagon full of bones for needed groceries. The prairie was swept clean of the bones and many of the homesteaders used this means of hanging on to their claims during the times of grasshoppers and drought. John went to Colorado and dug the new irrigation ditches to help supplement the income.
It is believed that John and Ann lived in a sod house while getting settled. In July 1888, they commenced building a frame house, 12 by 24 feet, 1 1/2 stories high and moved into it on 1 October. They also built a barn 22 by 50 feet, a shed 14 by 35 feet, a granary 10 by 16 feet, corn crib 10 by 16 feet and a wind mill. John cultivated 30 acres the first year and 30 to 80 acres were cultivated each season after that until the entire farm was in production.
It was prairie farming and grazing land. On 28 July 1904, under a revised status, he applied for additional land, the SW 1/4 of SW 1/4 of section six, township three, north, range thirty-five and the N 1/2 of NE I/2 section 12, township three, north, range thirty-six and Lot 7 section 6, township three, north, all in Hitchcock County. On 14 September 1909 when he made final papers he described 20 acres under cultivation in section 1 and the rest all rough, not fit for cultivation.
He grew barley and used the balance for grazing 20 head of cattle and horses which he owned and harvested 6 tons of hay each year. He later purchased lots 5 & 6 in Darnell’s addition in the Village of Stratton, Hitchcock County. On 8 May 1897 he applied for a Civil War pension and he was granted $6.00 per month for being disabled by disease of the heart. On 27 December 1907 he applied for reissue of the pension and was granted $12 per month. After his death, Ann received a widows pension. Both are buried in Ash Grove Cemetery, Dundy County, Nebraska.
Children of John T. and Ann M. (Merwin) Milliken:
Frank T. Milliken born 28 December 1869, Cedar Falls, Black Hawk County, Iowa; died 21 July 1949, Wauneta, Chase County, Nebraska at the home of his cousin Frank Ochs with whom he had made his home since 1932. He had worked as a carpenter. He made a violin on which he entertained in the community. His book of his jigs and reels is in the hands of the compiler. He had retired to the Masonic Home but did not find it to be what he wanted so he moved to the home of his cousin. He was unmarried.
James E. Milliken, born 12 September 1871, Cedar Falls, Black Hawk County, Iowa; died 17 September 1905, Walla Walla, Walla Walla County, Washington of rocky mountain spotted fever. He had gone to Washington to work to earn a grub stake to go to the Klondike gold fields in Alaska when he was stricken with the disease. He is buried in Ash Grove Cemetery, Dundy County, Nebraska. He was unmarried.
Dick Merwin Milliken born 2 February 1873, Cedar Falls, Black Hawk County, Iowa; died 8 November 1930, Topeka, Shawnee County, Kansas. Married Q. R. Harrison 30 April 1895, Forsyth, Taney County, Missouri, Eugenie Allen born 7 May 1874, Pella, Marion County, Iowa, daughter of Monroe and Amanda (Coit, alias Pritchard) Allen. She died 30 January 1953. Dick and his brothers had gone to Missouri to hunt wild turkey and he met and married Eugenie Allen who was living there with her family at the time.
Dick was nine years old when the famlly moved to South Dakota and 15 when they moved to Nebraska. He was involved in the family farming and he also learned fine woodworking, perhaps from his uncle Frank Milliken. After their marriage, Dick and Eugenie lived in a sod house on a rented farm north of Stratton, Hitchcock County, Nebraska where their first two children were born. About 1900 they moved to Morrowville, Washington County, Kansas and rented a farm. The parents .......
Researcher note: The typewritten note ended at this point, and I could find nothing more.
Researcher note: This typewritten note, author unknown, was found in with the obituaries kept by Everett Sutton. The note itself appears to be a printout of a family genealogy software with numbers of generations, etc. I deleted what appeared to be those references. In some instances, this appears to be more of a historical biography than an obituary.
Submitted by Sherri Gregory
Mrs. Charles W. Mullan
Prominent among the women of Waterloo and one whose history has been closely allied with the city and whose father-in-law surveyed, platted and named that city, is Mrs. Charles W. Mullan. Emma Lucy Hammond Mullan was born Dec. 15, 1851, in Paris, Oneida county, N. Y. She is the daughter of William Hammond, who came to Waterloo in 1855, and established the first bank and real estate office in that city, and the second bank of the state. Her mother was Frances Chesebro Babcock, a woman of rare beauty and grace of character. She was a gentle woman of the old type, who painted in water colors, did exquisite needle work and read carefully selected literature. She was descended from the historic Perry family. Matthew Calbraith Perry, the American naval officer, who opened commerce with Japan, was her grandfather’s brother, as was also Commodore Oliver H. Perry, who defeated the British in the battle of Lake Erie. The late Rev. Maltby Babcock, who was pastor of the Brick Presbyterian church of New York, and Edward Noyes Westcott, author of David Harum, were cousins. Kendric C. Babcock, dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences of the University of Illinois, is a cousin.
Mrs. Mullen was educated in a seminary conducted by Miss Anna Field, of Mt. Holyoke, and a pupil of Mary Lyon. She was married Nov. 6, 1782, to Charles W. Mullen and has four children. Chas. W. Mullen was born Dec. 31, 1845, son of Charles Mullen,, one of the first settlers of Black Hawk county, going there in 1846. He surveyed, platted and named the city of Waterloo. He and his wife, a woman of great strength of character, endured many hardships of pioneer life. Their son was educated in the Upper Iowa University, read law with a private tutor and was admitted to the bar in 1870. He served as city solicitor, as county attorney and in 1897 was elected state senator, serving in the 27th and 28th general assemblies. He resigned in 1900 to accept the office of Attorney General, which office he held until 1913, when he was appointed Judge of the Tenth Judicial District, the position he now holds.
Mrs. Mullen is a member of the Congregational church, in which she has been an active member since she was thirteen years of age. She is a member of the Waterloo Woman's Club, the second oldest woman's club in Iowa. She is a charter member of the Fortnightly Club, a member of the P. E. O. sisterhood and of the Ladies of the G. A. R. Her life work has been to rear her family, and right well has she accomplished that task. Her oldest son, Charles Hammond, is a graduate of Iowa College, and resides in St. Paul, being department manager of the Minneapolis Dry Goods Co. Her daughter, Frances Gertrude Blair, is a graduate of Iowa College and resides in Des Moines, the wife of Mr. John Blair, First Vice President of the Des Moines National Bank. The third child, Alice May Walker, was also a student at Iowa College, is the wife of Carl R. Walker of St. Cair, Mich., manager of the Diamond Chrystal Salt Co, The younger son, Alfred William, is a graduate of Iowa College and of the law department of the State University of Iowa. He very successfully practiced his profession in Waterloo for several years when because of ill health he temporarily gave up the law and is now in the U. S. forestry service in New Mexico.
[The Blue book of Iowa Women, by Winona Evans Reeves, Publ. 1914, Transcribed by Dana Kraft]
Among the leading agriculturists of Latah county may be mentioned the subject of this sketch. He has labored long in this section and may really be classed as one of the builders of the county, having wrought faithfully for advancement and progress, displaying meanwhile enterprise and commendable zeal and wisdom.
On May 3, 1847, Elias Tuckey was born in Bangor, Wales, to John and Sarah Tuckey. The father was a stone cutter, and a native of Wiltshire, England, being born in 1804, and dying in Montana in 1884. The mother was born in Somersetshire, England, in 1800. The father came to New York, thence to Wisconsin, and on to Iowa, in 1865, to California in 1874, and in 1876 to Idaho, this county, then Nez Perces. He worked on the first Potania bridge, across the arm of the sea in Wales, it being the first suspension structure in the world. He took government land near Lenville, Latah county, assisted to erect the first saw mill in the section, and also had many fights with the hostile Indians.
The immediate subject of this sketch came to this county in 1878, assisted his father in the improvement of the latter's farm, then returned to Iowa, and two years later came again to this section. He now owns a farm three and one-half miles northeast from Lenville, in Latah county, and is numbered with the prosperous men of the section.
On March 14, 1877, Mr. Tuckey married Miss Carrie, daughter of Daniel and Carrie Stout, farmers of Iowa, the wedding occurring in Waterloo, Iowa, and three children have been born to the happy union, Frank J., Sarah M. and Alice J. Mrs. Tuckey's parents died aged eighty-seven and eighty-eight.
In political matters Mr. Tuckey is affiliated with the Republican party, and takes the interest incumbent on every good citizen in the affairs of the county. He has had many trying times in the business and industrial world, but it may be said that he has manifested commendable wisdom and enterprise in the management of his business affairs and his life displays the stanch worth of character and uprightness that are pleasing and praiseworthy.
[An Illustrated History Of North Idaho Embracing Nez Perces, Idaho, Latah, Kootenai, Shoshone Counties, State Of Idaho, Western Historical Publishing Company, 1903, submitted by Barb Z.]
Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.