Genealogy Trails logo

 


Butler County, Iowa
Biographies

Hon. William I. Atkinson

The consensus of public opinion accords Hon. William I. Atkinson a prominent position in public regard. Attacks have been made upon him but they have been of a partisan nature and none questioned the integrity of his motives or the honesty of his position. It is said that no man in Butler county has a wider personal acquaintance and perhaps none has a larger circle of friends. Faith in him was strongly expressed in the election of November, 1912, when he was chosen to represent his district in the state legislature, being the first native son that Butler county has sent to the general assembly.

He was born in Clarksville, March 17, 1876, his parents being Henry and Sophia Atkinson, of whom mention is made elsewhere in this volume. He was thirteen years of age when his father died at which time he left the farm. He was the youngest of seven children, but at an early age he realized the importance of acquiring an education and he spared no labor that would bring about this end. While attending high school the vacation months were devoted to farm work and later he taught school, whereby he was enabled to continue his own studies. His early teaching experience was in the rural schools of Butler county and subsequently he was engaged as assistant principal of the schools of Clarksville. He was also at one time principal of the school at Ridgeway, Winneshiek county, Iowa. He worked his way through three years at the Upper Iowa University of Fayette and next entered the State University, where he devoted a year to the study of history and political science before entering the law college from which he was graduated in 1906. He was then admitted to the bar, but has never engaged actively in practice.

The elemental strength of his character is displayed in the resolute way in which he obtained an education in the face of difficulties and obstacles, which would have utterly deterred many a young man of less resolute spirit and laudable ambition. While in college he became greatly interested in the lyceum business and following his graduation from the law department he gave his entire attention to lyceum work, which developed to large proportions and won him promotion from the position of agent to that of district manager for the Mutual Lyceum Bureau of Chicago, his territory comprising Iowa, South Dakota and southern Minnesota. He managed the interests of the bureau with such keen insight and capability that he won the commendation and approval not only of the home office, but of all those for whose interests he cared in connection with public entertainments. In September, 1913, at the convention in Chicago, Mr. Atkinson was elected vice president of the International Lyceum Association.

Mr. Atkinson was united in marriage to Miss Rachel Patti Maxon, a talented reader of Brooklyn, New York, who died in 1909. He has a circle of friends almost coextensive with the circle of his acquaintances and they reach far beyond the limits of Butler county, for he is now widely known in this and adjoining states.

In Masonry he has attained the Knight Templar degree and is also a member of El Kahir Temple of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He also belongs to the Knights of Pythias and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks.

In politics he has ever been a stalwart republican and following the suggestion of many friends he at length announced himself as a candidate for the position of general assemblyman from Butler county. His election followed and during his first session he was given a chairmanship - an unusual honor - being placed at the head of the committee of the college for the blind. He is also a member of the committees on state educational institutions, normal schools, roads and highways, public health, schools and text books, enrolled bills, appropriations and soldiers' and orphans' homes. He is greatly interested in legislation affecting schools and public health. He has studied the interests of humanity rather than material things and he strongly opposed the proposed change made by the state board of education in state schools and has been an unfaltering advocate for better rural schools.

Speaking of his business career a contemporary biographer has written, "The story of his rise from an agent to the district manager for the Mutual Lyceum Bureau, handling the territory embraced in his own state, South Dakota and southern Minnesota, is an inspiration to the many thousands who have since looked to him for their higher, nobler amusements; their purposeful, profitable, mental and moral uplift, and those musical and literary treats that have turned thousands of dreary evenings into a joy forever. The lyceum and the chautauqua have been the greatest liberalizers in religion, politics and business, more so than any other institution extant. That is why Iowa appreciates William and looks to him as a candidate who will represent the state as well as Butler county.

On March the 8th, 1912, William I. Atkinson of Clarksville, was elected a member of the State Historical Society in recognition of his work in that line. This is an honor that comes only by invitation. Here I have not said a thing about those traits of character, those tests of manhood's real worth that are revealed only to those who know the inward workings of our lives. I will simply say that God only makes a few men who always ring true and fortunate indeed is he who enjoys the friendship of one of these."

Such a one is William I. Atkinson, whose splendid physique is but the expression of a still broader, stronger and more stalwart nature. With him life is real and earnest and he attacks each duty with a contagious enthusiasm that produces gratifying results.

[History of Butler County, Iowa, Volume 2, 1914]
Submitted by Cathy Danielson


V. C. Birney, M. D.

Dr. V. C. Birney, the oldest medical practitioner in Butler county, dates his residence in Greene from 1872 and since that time has become established as one of the leading and prominent physicians and surgeons in this section of the state. He was born in Ontario, Canada, November 1, 1849, a son of Dr. Lewis and Mary (Ferris) Birney, the former a native of New York state and the latter of Canada. The father grew to manhood in his native community and later moved to Toronto, Ontario, where he studied medicine. After receiving his degree he moved to the States, locating in Floyd county, this state, in 1856. He engaged in general practice there for many years, afterward moving to Nora Springs, where he spent his declining years, his death occurring about 1908. His wife survives him and is still hale and hearty at the age of eighty-eight.

Dr. V. C. Birney came to Iowa with his parents when he was but a child and he grew to manhood in Floyd county, acquiring his primary education in the public schools. He supplemented this by two years at Osage Academy. From his boyhood he had studied medicine under his father and before he was twenty-one he became thoroughly familiar with the basic principles of the science. He took his first course of lectures at Rush Medical College in Chicago but he completed his studies at Keokuk, receiving his degree of M. D. in 1878. Prior to receiving his degree he practiced with his father for a short time and then in March, 1872, located in Greene, where he has since remained in practice. He is without doubt the oldest physician in Butler and adjacent counties and his broad and varied experience is one of his greatest assets. He' has, however, kept in touch with the most advanced thought of his profession, supplementing his early training by special courses in medicine and surgery and by constant reading, research and investigation. He is a prominent surgeon, having performed many difficult operations most successfully, and his practice is large and important - the result of forty-one years of earnest, conscientious and disinterested work. Dr. Birney is a member of the Butler County, the Austin Flint and the Cedar Valley Medical Societies and in this way keeps in touch with the most advanced medical thought. He has remained always a close and earnest student of his profession and has a fine medical library of which he makes constant use. He has prepared and presented articles before the medical societies to which he belongs and is a recognized authority upon many branches of his profession. In the course of time he has secured a comfortable fortune and he today controls valuable property interests in Greene, owning an attractive residence on the west side of the river and a large business house, in which he has his office, where he carries a large stock of drugs and medicines for use in his own practice.

Dr. Birney has been twice married and has two children by his first wife: Nellie, who married Frank Ellis, of Los Angeles, California, and Dr. V. C., Jr., who is practicing medicine in Portland, Oregon. In Mason City, in 1897, Dr. Birney married Miss Ida H. Hartz, who was born in Wisconsin but reared in Iowa. Dr. and Mrs. Birney have become the parents of a daughter, Varillas Helen.

Dr. Birney gives his political allegiance to the republican party and served for six years as county coroner and for a number of years as pension examiner and member of the board of health. He is active in Masonic circles, holding membership in the blue lodge at Greene, the chapter at Clarksville, the commandery at Charles City and the shrine at Cedar Rapids. He has served through all of the chairs and is past grand of the local lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, which he represented in the Grand Lodge of Iowa. He is also a member of the Knights of Pythias. A residence of forty-one years in Greene has gained for him the respect and confidence of all who have had professional, social or business relations with him.

[History of Butler County, Iowa, Volume 2, 1914]
Submitted by Cathy Danielson


Lucius Franklin Bristol

Lucius Franklin Bristol is a leading citizen of Shell Rock and Butler county. He conducts business as a contractor and builder and has thus been prominently identified with the work of public improvement. Formerly he was identified with mercantile interests and in all business relations has made a most creditable record. His position too as a citizen is one most commendable, for he has ever manifested a spirit of patriotism and loyalty and served as a soldier in the Civil war.

He was born in Kenosha county, Wisconsin, June 17, 1843, and is a son of Lester S. and Anzolette (Cleland) Bristol. The father was born in Auburn, New York, in 1801, and the mother's birth occurred in Girard, Pennsylvania, July 17, 1814. In his boyhood days Lester S. Bristol worked on the construction of the state prison at Auburn, New York. He afterward learned the trade of carriage making, which he followed throughout the remainder of his days, being employed at different times in Charleston, South Carolina, Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, and Syracuse, New York. He was married at Girard, Pennsylvania, after which he removed westward to Illinois and purchased eighty acres of land on the present site of Chicago. He resided thereon for one season and then sold the property for five hundred dollars. About 1840 he went to Kenosha county, Wisconsin, where he built a wagon shop and there worked at his trade for a long period. He died in Butler county, Iowa, in 1871, having long survived his wife, who passed away on the 4th of July, 1844. In their family were five children: Walter L. now lives in Cairo, Illinois. Edward C., who died in Seattle, Washington, in 1912, was for five years and eight months a soldier. He enlisted in the Seventh Iowa Cavalry, served all through the Civil war and afterward participated in the military movement against the Indians. George L., who served for three years as a member of the Twenty-second Wisconsin Cavalry, died in Bristol, Wisconsin, in July, 1901. Sarah Adaline was married in 1862 to A. G. Stonebraker and died in 1864. L. F. Bristol completes the family.

The last named was reared in his native county, no event of special importance occurring to vary the routine of life for him until the outbreak of the Civil war, when his patriotic spirit was aroused and he joined the Second Wisconsin Cavalry, with which he served for eleven months. He was then honorably discharged but he reenlisted in the Ninth Illinois Cavalry, with which he remained until December, 1865. He was taken prisoner while detailed to guard the paymaster on a Mississippi river boat above Memphis in 1864. He was held a prisoner for five days, after which he managed to make his escape, although twenty men fired at him and many bullets pierced his clothing and hat. There were about twenty shots in the leg which he carries today. While he was in the service he had two horses shot from under him and again and again he was in the thickest of the fight, serving most of the time as a bugler of the Ninth Illinois Cavalry. When the war was over he returned to his home with the most creditable military record, having never been known to falter in the face of danger no matter how great his peril.

Returning to Sharon, Wisconsin, Mr. Bristol was a resident there until the spring of 1871, when he came to Shell Rock and here established a retail furniture and undertaking business, which he conducted for twenty years, winning a fair measure of success. He also manufactured furniture at the same time. He then went upon the road as traveling representative for wholesale furniture dealers and was also interested in a furniture manufactory. For the past four years, however, he has remained in Shell Rock, where he has engaged in contracting and building, devoting most of his time to the erection of houses, a number of which stand as monuments to his skill, ability and enterprise.

In Wisconsin, in 1867, Mr. Bristol was married to Miss Abbie L. Olmstead, who died in 1880, leaving two children: Edith, now the wife of W. E. Probert, of Cedar Falls; and Ella M., the wife of Arthur L. Dewey, of Memphis, Tennessee. Mr. Bristol's present wife was Mrs. Cynthia E. (Lewis) Sutherland, and they were married in 1893. Mrs. Bristol is a native of Jonesville, Michigan. For many years she held a position in the Chicago post-office, where she was known to be thoroughly trustworthy and competent. She has one son by her former marriage, Perley B. Sutherland, a resident of Detroit, Michigan.

Mr. Bristol has always given his political support to the republican party, which was the defense of the union during the dark days of the Civil war and has always been regarded as the party of reform and progress. He is well known as a member of Shell Rock Lodge No. 270, I. O. O. F., of which he was the first secretary, and he is also connected with the Rebekahs. He is likewise a member of the Grand Army Post and thus maintains pleasant relations with his old army comrades. He enjoys reminiscences of the days/when he followed the old flag on southern battlefields, and it is well known that he is as loyal to the stars and stripes at the present time as when he wore the nation's blue uniform. He is a popular, genial man who has many friends, and Shell Rock numbers him among its valued citizens.

[History of Butler County, Iowa, Volume 2, 1914]
Submitted by Cathy Danielson


Clark Carr

Agricultural pursuits have long had a worthy representative in Clark Carr, whose home farm of eighty acres is situated on section 12, Jackson township, about a mile and three-quarters west of Clarksville, on the Shell Rock river. Here he has lived since the 5th of September, 1868, and the county knows him as one of the worthy representatives of agricultural life - industrious, honorable and persistent in all that he has undertaken. He was born September 8, 1844, in Bennington county, Vermont, his parents being C. R. and Rhoda (Brown) Carr. The father was born in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, February 19, 1811, and the mother in Rutland county, Vermont, February 26, 1811. They became residents of McHenry county, Illinois, in 1845 and after twenty-one years there passed removed to Butler county in September, 1866, spending their last days in Jackson township. The father followed the trades of a carpenter and stone mason until he came to Iowa, after which he followed farming. Both he and his wife were members of the Baptist church in early life but as there was no congregation of that denomination near their home in Iowa they united with the Methodist Episcopal church. Christian principles actuated them in all that they did and their good deeds made their example one well worthy of emulation. The father died February 2, 1888, and the mother, surviving for more than a decade, passed away December 26, 1898. They were the parents of four children beside our subject: Julia, the wife of George Smith, of Jackson township; Mrs. Mary Rogers, who died in Clarksville; Mrs. Lucinda Olson, of Junction City, Kansas; and Mrs. Lucina Poisal, deceased. Mrs. Olson and Mrs. Poisal were twins.

In taking up the personal history of Clark Carr we present to our readers the life record of one who is widely and favorably known in this county, where he has now lived for almost a half century, having come here with his parents in 1866. He continued at home until his marriage two years later. He had given active manifestation of his patriotic spirit and his loyalty to his country by enlisting on the 20th of August, 1862, in McHenry county, Illinois, as a member of Company H, One Hundred and Twenty-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, with which he served until the close of the war. He was taken prisoner at Youngs Point, Louisiana, but was paroled after thirty days. The regiment was attached to the First Brigade, Second Division, Fifteenth Army Corps, known as Logan's Corps, and with his command Mr. Carr went through the entire siege of Vicksburg, took part in the battles of Lookout Mountain, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge and was in the Atlanta campaign, in which he was for one hundred and five days under fire. He had a most arduous military experience, but he never faltered in the face of danger, bravely defending his country and her interests whether on the firing line or the lonely picket post. With the close of the war he participated in the Grand Review in Washington, D. C., and was then mustered out, receiving an honorable discharge in Chicago, on the 19th of June, 1865. He returned home with a most creditable military record and the history of his service as a Union soldier is one of which he has every reason to be proud.

Since the war Mr. Carr has been actively engaged in farming in Butler county and at one time was the owner of two hundred and forty acres of valuable land, of which he still retains eighty acres, comprising the old homestead on section 12, Jackson township, a mile and three-quarters west of Clarksville. He took up his abode upon this place forty-five years ago and in connection with the production of crops best adapted to soil and climate he has made a specialty of raising horses.

On the 5th of September, 1868, Mr. Carr was married to Mrs. Frances J. Wamsley, who was born in Henry county, Indiana, March 11,1839, and died here on the 21st of September, 1911. She was the widow of Martin B. Wamsley, who died while a prisoner of war at Tyler, Texas. By her first marriage she had four children: R. P., now deceased; S. B., living in Jackson township; Mary E., who became the wife of Harry Parker and died in Ione, Washington; and M. V., of Jackson township. These four children were reared by Mr. Carr as his own. There were four children born of the second marriage, but two sons died in infancy. The elder of the surviving sons is William A., who occupies the old homestead. The younger, James L., of Westplains, Missouri, married Annie Moore, a daughter of W. H. Moore, deceased, of whom mention is made elsewhere in this volume. The two children of Mr. and Mrs. James L. Carr are Jerry and Roy.

Clark Carr has long been an active member of the Grand Army of the Republic, having joined James Butler Post, No. 220, of Clarksville, on its organization. He likewise belongs to Butler Lodge, No. 94, A. F. & A. M., of Clarksville. His political allegiance is always given to the republican party, but he has never sought nor desired office. His religious faith is that of the Christian church. His whole life has been devoted to his home and family.

For forty-three years he had a most happy married life, but since his wife's death has been very lonely. He remained upon the home farm alone for two years but now his eldest son and his family reside with him. He has witnessed many notable changes in the county, which has been transformed from a frontier district into a populous and prosperous region since he arrived. Something of the rise in land values is indicated in the fact that he has refused one hundred and fifty dollars per acre for his farm. It has been his home for forty-five' years and he wishes to remain upon the old homestead as long as he lives. His many friends hope that he will be yet spared for many years to come, for he has ever been regarded as a valued and representative citizen and one whose genuine personal worth has gained for him the esteem of all.

[History of Butler County, Iowa, Volume 2, 1914]
Submitted by Cathy Danielson


W. A. Carr

W. A. Carr was born July 23, 3869, upon the farm on section 12, Jackson township, which is now his home. He was reared in the usual manner of farm lads, attending the district schools and working in the fields through the summer months. He continued with his father until the fall of 1903, when he went to Gary, Deuel county, South Dakota, purchasing there a quarter section of land, which he cultivated and developed for two years. He then removed to the town of Gary, where he conducted a produce business and shoe store, but sold out to his partner in 1913 in order to return to Butler county and assume the management of the old homestead. He still owns the farm in South Dakota.

On the 7th of October, 1896, Mr. Carr was married to Miss Marguerite May Lansing, who was born in Story county, Iowa, in 1872. The three children of this marriage are: Wilma, born in 1898; Dorothy Jane, August 29, 1903; and Elsie Mae, June 20, 1909. The parents are both members of the Christian church and also of the Eastern Star.

Mr. Carr has been identified with the Masonic lodge from the age of twenty-two years and has always been loyal to the teachings and tenets of the craft. He served as school treasurer while in Gary and has held some local offices in this county. He was reared in the faith of the republican party and has seen no reason to change his political belief since arriving at years of maturity. In fact, he is more convinced than ever in his opinions and it is well known fact that his position upon any vital question is never an equivocal one. He stands for what he believes to be right and in matters of citizenship as well as in business relations has made a creditable record.

[History of Butler County, Iowa, Volume 2, 1914]
Submitted by Cathy Danielson


Henry Dralle

A fact that is not always given due recognition is that Germany has furnished to Butler county a large percentage of her substantial citizens, men who have adapted themselves to changed conditions in this country and have become progressive and substantial residents of the communities in which they live. Such a one is Henry Dralle, who was born in Westphalen, Germany, on the 8th of August, 1862, his parents being William and Sophia (Schmidt) Dralle, who were likewise natives of Westphalen. Their last days, however, were spent upon a farm in West Point township, this county, where the father died in 1910, at the age of seventy-one years, having long survived his wife, who passed away in 1887, at the age of fifty-four. They came to the United States in 1885, Henry Dralle making a trip back to the old country to bring them to the new world. The father was a miller by trade and followed that pursuit in Germany, but after coming to the United States gave his attention to farming and was the owner of one hundred and sixty acres, which he left to his family at the time of his death. There were six children: Henry; Minnie, the wife of Herman Niehaus, of West Point township; Lottie, the deceased wife of Conrad Jakel; Wilhelm, of West Point township; Sophia, the deceased wife of William Rhodenback; and Marie, the wife of Hico Folkers, of West Point township.

Henry Dralle was the first of the family to cross the Atlantic to the new world, arriving in 1878, when a youth of sixteen years. He first made his way to Grundy county, Iowa, and was employed by the month for three years, after which he came to Butler county. Here he again worked by the month as a farm hand for two years and for three years he rented land. During that period he carefully saved his earnings until his thrift and economy had brought him sufficient capital to enable him to purchase eighty acres on section 24, West Point township. To this he has added from time to time as his financial resources have increased until he now has two hundred and forty acres in the home place on section 24, together with a farm of similar size on section 2. He personally operates both tracts of land successfully, carrying on general farming and stock-raising. The fields present a neat and thrifty appearance and give every indication of the practical and progressive methods of the owner.

On the 18th of February, 1888, Mr. Dralle was united in marriage to Miss Lottie Schmidt, who was born in Westphalen, Germany, January 9,1867, and came to Butler county with the Dralle family when her future husband returned to Germany for his parents. They are own cousins and were schoolmates in the fatherland. In 1907 they made a trip back to the old country, spending two months there. They have had ten children: Minnie, the wife of Folkirt Folkers, of West Point township; Henry, also living in West Point township; Annie, the wife of Will Fick, of Jackson township; Willie, Mary, Lottie, August and Matie, all at home; Sophia, who died at the age of four months; and Herman, who completes the family.

In his political views Mr. Dralle is a democrat and he and his wife are members of the German Lutheran church. Mr. Dralle is a self-made man and deserves much credit for what he has accomplished. He came to the United States with his uncle, Conrad Wallbaum, who paid his passage, and Mr. Dralle had to work for a year in order to repay the money. He has seen many ups and downs in life and has met many hardships and difficulties, but at length has triumphed over these. That notable changes have occurred is shown in the fact that in early days he sold hogs for three dollars per hundred and oats for ten cents per bushel. He now has as good a farm as can be found in the county and receives substantial prices for his products. He bought his first land at twenty-five dollars per acre and at his last purchase, made three years ago, gave one hundred and thirteen dollars per acre, paying twenty-seven thousand dollars for his last farm of two hundred and forty acres, upon which his son Henry now resides. Although Mr. Dralle had a hard struggle in the early days, he enjoyed good health, was resolute and energetic and has steadily worked his way upward until he is now one of the prosperous farmers of the county, and all who know him acknowledge that his success is well merited.

History of Butler County, Iowa: a Record of Settlement, Organization, Progress andAchievement Vol. 2 by Irving H. Hart (1914)
Submitted by Amy Robbins-Tjaden


Lyman L. Downs

Forty-three years have come and gone since Lyman L. Downs arrived in Butler county, where he became an active factor in agricultural pursuits, continuing the development of his farm until, content with the competence which he had acquired, he put aside business cares and retired to private life. He now makes his home in Clarksville, where he is most pleasantly situated, and his life history indicates what may be accomplished when energy and perseverance lead the way and industry and honesty constitute the salient features in the acquirement of success.

He was born in Belvidere, Boone county, Illinois, May 15, 1842, a son of George W. and Marana (Norton) Downs, natives of New York and of Michigan, respectively. In his boyhood the father accompanied his parents to Illinois and afterward went to Michigan, where he was married. For many years he followed farming in Illinois but later entered the wholesale and retail grocery business in Belvidere. The only interruption to his active business life came at the time of the Civil war, when he joined the commissary department, enlisting on the 4th of September, 1862, on which date he became a member of Company G, Ninety-fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He was discharged during the second year of his service and returned to his home. He died in 1892, at the age of seventy-four years, having long survived his wife, who passed away in 1854.

Lyman L. Downs is the only survivor of the three children born of his father's first marriage. The latter married again but there were no children of that union. After spending his boyhood, youth and early manhood in his native county Lyman L. Downs removed to Butler county in May, 1870.

He enlisted September 4,-1863, as a member of Company G, Ninety-fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, with which he served until honorably discharged at the close of the war, returning to his home with a most creditable military record. He had tried for enlistment the same year that his father was mustered in but was not accepted on account of physical conditions, but was accepted one year later.

He devoted his energies to farming in his native state until he came to Iowa, where he purchased one hundred and ninety acres of land on section 5, Jackson township. Here he farmed until he retired and he is still the owner of the land. In the summer of 1912 he erected his present commodious and attractive residence in Clarksville and is now most pleasantly situated, the fruits of his former toil supplying him with all of the necessities and comforts and many of the luxuries of life.

In 1880 Mr. Downs was united in marriage to Mrs. Millie Smith Howe, who was born in Indiana, May 3, 1845. Her father died before she was born and she lost her mother when but a, year old. At six years of age she came to Butler county with her grandfather, Almond Tree. Her grandmother had died when Mrs. Downs was but two years old. Her grandfather was a grand old man who had served in the War of 1812. He took care of his little granddaughter as best he could without a woman's aid. He would find her a place to stay and when he saw that she was not being well treated he would get her and secure for her another home. He died in Floyd county, Iowa, and his memory is deeply cherished by Mrs. Downs. By her former marriage Mrs. Downs had no children, but two have been born of the second union: George A., now a practicing dentist of Sterling, Illinois, and Marana M., the wife of John W. Best, of Waterloo, Iowa.

Mr. Downs holds membership with the Grand Army of the Republic and greatly enjoys meeting with his old-time comrades and recalling the scenes of the tented fields. He is a prohibitionist and a Presbyterian - connections which indicate how high and honorable are the principles which govern his life. He stands at all times for those things which work for the betterment of the individual and for the community and he has never deviated from a course which he believed to be right between himself and his fellowmen.

[History of Butler County, Iowa, Volume 2, 1914]
Submitted by Cathy Danielson


Millard Fillmore Edwards

Not only does the Hon. Millard Fillmore Edwards enjoy the distinction of occupying a foremost position in the legal fraternity of Butler county but has also prominently participated in public affairs, wherein his efforts have been an acknowledged factor in serving the public good. He has been a member of the state legislature, and in 1912 his talents again won him recognition, for he was elected to the position of judge of the district court of the twelfth judicial district. Upon the bench he has found new scope for his activities and knowledge and has gained wide recognition for his impartial administration of justice.

A native of Pennsylvania, Judge Edwards was born near Muncy, Lycoming county, October 22, 1858, a son of William and Catherine (Smole) Edwards, both of whom were natives of the Keystone state. The father was born August 17, 1832, and after a successful career as a farmer and stock-raiser passed away March 7, 1897. The mother, whose date of birth was August 18, 1834, survived her husband about seven years, dying on the 23d of July, 1903. In their family were five children: Mary, who passed away in infancy; Millard Fillmore; Anna L., who was born January 23, 1861, and is the wife of J. S. Cranmer, now of South Williamsport, Pennsylvania; Lydia C., born July 20, 1863, now making her home in Montoursville, Pennsylvania; and Augustus E., who was born September 15, 1865, and is a resident of New York city. The Edwards family is of Welsh lineage, while the maternal ancestors of our subject came from Germany.

In the acquirement of his early education Judge Edwards attended public school and private normal school in Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, and subsequently entered the Pennsylvania State Normal School at Millersville. In 1882 he graduated from the Central State Normal School at Lock Haven, Pennsylvania, his high standing in his class being evidenced in the fact that he was selected as one of the class orators for the commencement exercises. At intervals in the period in which he was acquiring his education and for some time afterward he taught school in his native county, advancing steadily until he attained the position of principal of one of the graded schools. To perfect himself in practical knowledge he pursued during that period a course in a commercial college at Williamsport, Pennsylvania.

He came to Iowa for the first time in 1883 and upon his arrival in this state entered the law department of the State University in order to prepare himself for the legal profession, entering upon his studies with the same energy and zeal which had won him success in teaching. He was graduated in 1884, after which he returned to Pennsylvania, where he entered the law office of B. S, Bently, of Williamsport. A year later he returned to Iowa and in July, 1885, settled in Parkersburg, where he entered into partnership in the practice of law with the Hon. O. B. Courtright. This connection continued for little more than two years, when Mr. Edwards retired from the firm. In September, 1898, he was joined by Robert F. Camp and the law firm of Edwards & Camp was continued for ten years, or until 1908. Mr. Camp then retired from the firm, being succeeded by J. V. Gregory under the law firm style of Edwards & Gregory, which connection was maintained until 1910. Subsequent to that time Judge Edwards practiced alone and all through the years of his residence here up to the time of his elevation to the bench he was connected with much important litigation, handling some of the largest cases that have appeared before the courts. He occupies a most creditable and enviable position at the Butler county bar, due largely to the fact that he has always prepared his cases with great thoroughness and skill; that he is clear and forceful in argument, commanding at all times the attention of court or jury. He has gained many verdicts favorable to his clients, for his reasoning is logical, his deductions are sound and he is always prepared to meet the most unlooked-for exigencies in any suit. He was admitted to practice before the federal and state courts in Iowa City in 1884 and until January, 1913, when he was elevated to the bench, continued in the private practice of law with remarkable success.

In 1912 he was nominated and elected to the position of judge of the twelfth judicial district of Iowa and, although he has held this office a comparatively short time, has already established a reputation for impartiality which places him high among the representatives of the judiciary of the state. He has a thorough understanding of intricate legal problems and, being deeply imbued with a sense of the majesty of the law and the important functions of an ancient and noble profession, he discharges his duties with admirable and conscientious ability. His decisions are always based upon the letter of the law and are generally accepted by both sides as final. His long and distinguished career in private practice gained him the experience that greatly assists him in upholding the dignity of his office and he is not only highly respected in Parkersburg but throughout the entire twelfth judicial district, comprising Butler, Floyd, Bremer, Cerro Gordo. Hancock, Winnebago, Worth and Mitchell counties.

At Parkersburg, on the 21st of July, 1887, Judge Edwards was married to Miss Ida Whiting, a daughter of C. L. and Kate (Peterkin) Whiting, the former a well known and prominent contractor and builder who also was engaged in agricultural pursuits for some time. The parents now make their home in Snohomish, Washington. Judge and Mrs. Edwards have two daughters, Helen Catherine and Mildred Irene. The former is a graduate of Cornell College of Mount Vernon, Iowa, and received the Master of Arts degree from Chicago University in August, 3913. She is now connected with the high school at East Waterloo, Iowa, where she teaches Latin and English.

Judge Edwards gives his allegiance to the republican party and has always taken a most prominent part in public life. He served Parkersburg for two terms as mayor and during his administrations brought about many beneficial results. Interested in educational matters, he has served on the school board and was also for many years township clerk. In the greater politics of the state he has also participated, having been elected to the twenty-eighth general assembly in 1899. His ability was quickly recognized and he was made chairman of the house committee on telegraph, telephone and express and was a member of the committee on judiciary, railroads and commerce, and penitentiaries, judicial districts and police regulations. During this one term he attained such prominence that during that session he was made a member of the sifting committee toward the closing days of that legislature. He was reelected to the twenty-ninth general assembly, continuing his creditable record and doing much important work in committee rooms and on the floor of the house. In his religious faith Judge Edwards is a Methodist, being a member of that church in Parkersburg and serving as trustee and one of the stewards of the same. Fraternally he belongs to the Knights of Pythias. He owns his own residence. and his home enjoys a reputation for the most kind-hearted hospitality. Judge Edwards has become recognized as a power for good in his town and county and has ever done his best to promote worthy public enterprises. He enjoys the utmost confidence and regard of his fellow citizens and his life record is an honor to the town and county which have honored him publicly and privately and which have found him capable in public positions of the greatest importance. Judge Edwards during the time of his residence in Butler county, has resided and now resides at Parkersburg.

[History of Butler County, Iowa, Volume 2, 1914]
Submitted by Cathy Danielson


John G. Evans, M. D.

The name of Dr. John G. Evans has come to be regarded as synonymous with general progress and advancement in Butler county, for he is not only one of the leading physicians and surgeons of New Hartford, but is also mayor of the city and is an active and influential factor in both political and business affairs. He was born near Waterloo, in Blackhawk county, August 26, 1866, and is a son of John O. and Rebecca (McClintock) Evans, natives of Pennsylvania, the former born in 1826 and the latter in 1830. During his early years the father engaged in teaching, but after coming to Iowa in 1855 turned his attention to farming, operating an excellent tract of land near Waterloo until his death, which occurred in 1896. His wife passed away in 1899. They were the parents of seven children, Josephine, David, Katie, Dora, John G., William T. and Elmer L. The eldest son died in infancy.

Dr. Evans acquired his early education in the district schools of Blackhawk county and afterward attended the Waterloo high school, from which he was graduated in 1886. He then spent two and a half years as clerk in a hardware store, but, having determined upon the practice of medicine as a life work, he abandoned commercial pursuits to enter the office of Dr. D. W. Grouse. In the fall of 1889 he enrolled as a student in the medical department of the Iowa State University and was graduated with the degree of M. D. on the 15th of March, 1893. He afterward pursued a postgraduate course in Chicago in 1897 and another in the Polyclinic College in that city in 1910. He has always remained a close arid earnest student of his profession, constantly broadening his knowledge by reading, research and investigation. He began practice in New Hartford in 1893 and the recognition of his skill and ability has brought him a large patronage. He has one of the best equipped offices in Butler county, provided with all modern instruments and appliances which are of recognized value in the work of the profession. In addition to his large private practice he is also local surgeon for the Illinois Central Railroad. He belongs to the Butler County Medical Society, in which he served for several years as secretary and for two years as president. He likewise belongs to the Austin Flint, the Iowa State and the American Medical Associations, and he is a leading member of the Railway Surgeons Association. He attends with great regularity the meetings of these different societies and thus keeps in touch with the trend of modern thought in his profession. He has made a particular study of preventive medicine and has been able to apply some of his theories concerning sanitation and the laws of health during his incumbency in the office of mayor of New Hartford, particularly in clearing out all of the weeds and poisonous herbs within the corporate limits of the city.

Aside from his practice his business connections are important, for he is one of the stockholders of the New Hartford State Bank, the Security Savings Bank of Cedar Falls and the Plainfield Savings Bank, of which he is also a director and member of the examining committee. He owns two residence properties in New Hartford. His business enterprise and ability have carried him forward into important relations with the commercial and financial interests of the community.

In New Hartford, on the 12th of June, 1894, Dr. Evans was united in marriage to Miss Nettie Cousins, a daughter of Hon. John A. and Rebecca Cousins, the former the oldest male resident in Iowa. He was in business for a great many years in New Hartford, being engaged in the sale of drugs, hardware, implements and lumber, his business activity making him one of the foremost representatives of commercial interests in the town. He was twice elected to represent his district in the state legislature, in which he served with distinction. Mrs. Evans was born in Grundy county, began her education there, and was afterward a student in the public schools of New Hartford. When sixteen years of age she entered the Iowa State Teachers College. She did not graduate there, however, but returned home and acted as her father's bookkeeper until her marriage to Dr. Evans. She is a lady of native culture and refinement and is a prominent member of the "Woman's Club of New Hartford and the Woman's Relief Corps.

Dr. Evans holds membership with the Masons, and both he and his wife are connected with the Eastern Star, in which she has been warden and treasurer. He is a charter member of the Modern Brotherhood of America and medical examiner for the Modern Woodmen of America.

He gives his political allegiance to the republican party and has been very active in school affairs, serving for nine years as school director. In 1913 he was made mayor of New Hartford and has proved an excellent executive, promoting the best interests of the city in an intelligent and practical manner. A man of broad culture and high standards, his interests have extended to many fields and have become powerful forces in promoting professional, political and business growth in this section of the state.

[History of Butler County, Iowa, Volume 2, 1914]
Submitted by Cathy Danielson


Colonel Houston Green

Colonel Houston Green, who was one of the veterans of the Civil war, came to Butler county soon after the close of hostilities and here resided until his death, which occurred March 25, 1907. He reached the Psalmist's span of life of three score years and ten, for his birth occurred in Claiborne county, Tennessee, January 16, 1837, his parents being John and Orpha (Slatten) Green, who were natives of North Carolina and South Carolina respectively. Their last days, however, were spent in Scott county, Kentucky, where Mr. Green followed the occupation of farming, which he made his life work. He was a soldier of the War of 1812. Four of the Green brothers married four sisters of the Slatten family, and each had eleven children. Unto John Green and his wife were born six sons and five daughters, Houston Green being the youngest son. He and four of his brothers served as soldiers in the Civil war, two enlisting from Illinois, while three became members of the Kentucky regiments.

Colonel Houston Green was a young man of twenty-four years at the time of the outbreak of hostilities. His patriotic spirit aroused, he joined the Fourth Kentucky Volunteer Infantry, with which he served for two years and three months and was then honorably discharged on account of disability. Throughout the remainder of his life he was in delicate health.

After his military experience he resided in Indiana and Illinois until he came to Butler county, Iowa, in April, 1866, settling in Shell Rock township, where his remaining days were passed, covering about forty-one years. He always followed farming and prospered in his undertakings, owning at one time four hundred and twenty acres of rich and valuable land, which was divided among his children. He displayed unfaltering industry and determination in carrying on his farm work and contributed much to the progress of the county along agricultural lines. He set an excellent example to others in progressive methods of farming, and his place became one of the attractive features of the landscape.

On the 11th of March, 1861, Colonel Green was married to Miss Susan E. Bassett, who was born in Owen county, Kentucky, October 2, 1844, a daughter of Luke and Janette (Wilson) Bassett. The father was of German parentage, and the mother was a native of Kentucky, born August 24, 1823. His birth occurred on the 11th of February, 1811, and throughout his entire life he followed the occupation of farming, thus providing for his family, which numbered eight children, four sons and four daughters who reached years of maturity. The parents both passed away in Kentucky, the father on the 1st of September, 1880, and the mother on the 26th of March, 1888.

To Colonel and Mrs. Green were born eight children: William Albert and Janetta, both of whom died in infancy; Amanda, who owns and is operating a farm in Shell Rock township; Mason, living in Marengo, Iowa; Nellie, who died at the age of four years; Adelbert, of Shell Rock township; George, who resides with his mother on the old home place, now comprising one hundred and sixty acres, and Edward, also living in Shell Rock township.

Mrs. Green is a member of the Christian church, which she joined in Bement, Illinois. She has ever been a devoted wife and loving mother, giving to her children every possible attention and care. Colonel Green was also most devoted to his family, and they mourned the loss of a loving husband and father when he passed away on the 25th of March, 1907. He was a stanch republican in his political views and filled some minor offices, the duties of which he discharged with promptness and fidelity. He belonged to the Shell Rock lodge, A. F. & A. M., and exemplified in his life the beneficent spirit of the craft, which is based upon mutual helpfulness and brotherly kindness.

[History of Butler County, Iowa, Volume 2, 1914]
Submitted by Cathy Danielson


Schuyler Hardman

Butler county numbers among its most progressive and representative agriculturists and among its best known native sons Schuyler Hardman, who owns and operates a valuable farm of one hundred and sixty acres on section 16, Dayton township, as well as another forty acre tract in the vicinity. He was born in Coldwater township, March 10, 1859, and is a son of Aaron Hardman, a native of Antrim county, Michigan. The father grew to maturity there and married Miss Christiann Lentz, a native of South Bend, Indiana. After their marriage the parents moved west to Iowa, locating in Butler county about the year 1853. The father purchased land south of Greene and this he improved and operated for many years, becoming a substantial and prominent farmer. He later retired from active life and moved into Greene, where his death occurred about the year 1878. His wife survived him a number of years, dying in Greene in 1908. After the death of her first husband she wedded John V. Boggs, of Greene.

Schuyler Hardman is one of a family of nine children. He was reared upon his father's farm in Coldwater township and acquired his education in the district schools. In 1884 he married Miss Castinah Shannon, who was born in Clarksville, Butler county, in 1860, a daughter of John Shannon, a pioneer settler in Butler county, who came here in 1856.

After his marriage Mr. Hardman located on the Shannon farm, near Clarksville, renting this property for sixteen years thereafter. During that time he purchased an eighty acre tract on section 16, Dayton township, and carried on the work of improvement along modern and progressive lines. In 1900 he moved upon this property and in that year bought an adjoining tract of eighty acres, his holdings now comprising one hundred and sixty acres. Upon this place he has erected a two-story residence, a large barn, granary and hoghouse and has made other improvements, setting out a large orchard and a grove of evergreen and native forest trees. His fields are fenced and crossfenced with woven and barbed wire and everything about the place is kept in excellent condition, the property reflecting the careful supervision and practical labor which the owner bestows upon it. Mr. Hardman owns another forty acre tract also in Dayton township. He raises high-grade shorthorn cattle, Percheron horses and Duroc Jersey hogs and is recognized as one of the most successful stock-raisers in this locality.

Mr. and Mrs. Hardman became the parents of three sons and four daughters, of whom six are living: Aaron, who is engaged in the grain business in Canada; Royal, a student in the Greene high school; Alberta, who was educated at Clarksville and at Cedar Falls and who is now principal of the grammar schools at Livingston, Montana; Adelle, who is the wife of C. H. Schader and makes her home at Sunnyside, Washington; LaVerne, a student in the Greene high school; and Thelma, who is also pursuing her studies. Mr. and Mrs. Hardman lost one son, Earl, who died at the age of seven. The parents are members of the Methodist Episcopal church of Packard and Mrs. Hardman is serving as superintendent of the Sabbath school. She is also a member of the Daughters of Rebekah.

Mr. Hardman is identified with Elm Springs Lodge, No. 318, I. O. O. F1., and is a republican in his political beliefs. He is interested in the cause of education and has served as school director. His many excellent qualities of mind and character have gained him the esteem and good-will of all with whom he has come in contact, while his progressive and practical methods in the cultivation of his farm have won him rank with the representative agriculturists of this locality.

[History of Butler County, Iowa, Volume 2, 1914]
Submitted by Cathy Danielson


Moulton Hartness

Of that class of public spirited and progressive citizens upon which the security of any community rests, is Moulton Hartness, who for the past twenty-one years has practiced law in Greene, winning in the interval a remarkable and well deserved professional success. He was born in Butler county, near Clarksville. October 15, 1859, a son of George and Susan (Bonwell) Hartness, the former born in Virginia about 1835. He came west with his parents when he was still a child and located in Indiana, where he grew to manhood. In 1855 he came as a pioneer into Iowa, locating in Butler county, where he resided for many years. He and his wife became the parents of three children: Moulton, of this review ; John; and Eleanor E., who resides in Clarksville with her mother.

Moulton Hartness remained upon the home farm until he was eighteen years of age, acquiring his primary education in the country school and supplementing this by a course in the Clarksville high school. After graduating from that institute he attended business college in Keokuk and he later studied law under Captain C. A. L. Roszelle, a prominent attorney.

Mr. Hartness was admitted to the Iowa bar at Des Moines in 1890. He had previously located in Greene, where he held a position in the First State Bank, retaining this for a time after his admission. He resigned it however, in 1892, and opened a law office in the First State Bank building and since that time has been one of the active and prominent members of the legal fraternity, of Butler county. He possesses a comprehensive and exact knowledge of underlying legal principles and a clear and analytical mind, and these qualifications have won him distinction in a profession where advancement comes only as a result of superior merit and ability. Mr. Hartness has accumulated an excellent law library, one of the largest and most complete in the county and he has remained always a close and earnest student of his profession.

At Mount Pleasant, Iowa, November 28, 1889, Mr. Hartness married Miss Venia E. Tracy, a native of Ohio, who was reared and educated in Iowa. She is a graduate of the Mount Pleasant high school and for some years engaged in teaching. Mr. and Mrs. Hartness became the parents of two sons: Moulton, Jr., a graduate of the Ellsworth School of Stenography, who for a time read law in his father's office, and is now a student in the law department of the Iowa State University; and Joseph G., a graduate of the Greene high school and now a student at Grinnell college.

Fraternally, Mr. Hartness is identified with the blue lodge Masons, of which he is lodge master, and he is also a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias. Mrs. Hartness is a devout member of the Methodist Episcopal church, president of the Ladies' Aid Society and also a member of the Home Mission Society. Mr. Hartness gives his political allegiance to the republican party and although he has never desired office for himself has always taken a prominent part in public affairs. The cause of education has found in him a loyal champion, for he has accomplished a great deal of important work along this line during his twenty years on the school board, for the past fifteen years of which he has served as president. His cooperation can always be counted upon in the promotion of public enterprises, which have for their object, community advancement and growth. He was one of the promoters of the Electric Light & Power Company, in which he is still a stockholder and director. He is a man of more than ordinary ability and the position which he occupies in social, political and professional circles is the fit reward of a life of well directed energy and straightforward dealings.

[History of Butler County, Iowa, Volume 2, 1914]
Submitted by Cathy Danielson


A. W. Johnson

A. W. Johnson, widely known as a capable, prominent and successful contractor and builder of Allison, has made his home in this county since 1883 and for twenty-eight years has lived in the county seat. He was born in Monroe, Ogle county, Illinois, November 20,1860, and is a son of John and Grace (Hagemeyer) Johnson, both of whom were natives of Ost Friesland, Hanover, Germany, where they were married. Two children were born unto them ere they came to the new world. They settled in Ogle county, Illinois, in 1873 and Mr. Johnson there spent his remaining days, his death occurring upon the home farm in 1880. Two years later the mother came to Iowa to live with her children and passed away in 1890. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Johnson were born five sons and a daughter: Herman, who is living on the old homestead in West Point township; Mrs. Jennie Roalf, deceased; A. W.; Frank, of Emmet county, Iowa; Henry, a resident of Minnesota; and John, also of Emmet county. All of the sons are prosperous farmers with the exception of A. W. Johnson, who has devoted the greater part of his life to building pursuits.

He was twenty-one years of age at the time of his father's death and in 1883, when twenty-three years of age, came to Butler county. He was reared upon the farm and when he started out in life on his own account it was as an agriculturist, but he had learned the carpenter's trade when a boy and for the past twenty-eight years has followed that pursuit with the exception of the time which he devoted to political office. He is now widely known as a contractor and builder and something of the volume of his business and of his success is indicated in the fact that he employs from eight to fourteen men. His work has stamped him as a master in his chosen field. He conducts a general contracting and building business, furnishes plans and specifications, superintends construction, and during the long period of his residence in Allison has erected some of the finest homes in the city and county. He has also built a number of business blocks and public buildings and his work always gives satisfaction because of the thoroughness with which it is done, the excellence of the materials used and the honesty of his business methods.

Mr. Johnson has been married three times. In 1884 he wedded Miss Anna Pals, a native of Illinois and of Holland parentage. She died in 1888, leaving a daughter, Grace, who is now the wife of Clint Miller, of Minnesota. In 1894 he married Miss Carrie Woodward, a native of Butler county. She died in 1897, leaving a daughter, Pearl, who resides at Greene, Butler county. In 1902 Mr. Johnson was united in marriage to Miss Clara Mead, a native of Butler county and a daughter of Henry C. and Julia Mead. The father and mother are now deceased, the mother passing away in August, 1913. One child. Alberta, has been born to Mr. and Mrs. Johnson.

In politics Mr. Johnson is an earnest and stalwart republican and for a period of five years, from 1901 to 1906, he filled the office of sheriff of his county. Fraternally he is connected with the Masons, the Knights of Pythias and the Odd Fellows and is loyal to the beneficent spirit and high purposes of those organizations. He has always led a busy and useful life and has just completed the new German Lutheran church at Allison. Most of the best buildings in Allison and this section of the county stand as monuments to his skill and enterprise. His record as a man and citizen is commendable and the warm regard in which he is held indicates that his has been an upright life.

History of Butler County, Iowa: a Record of Settlement, Organization, Progress andAchievement Vol. 2 by Irving H. Hart (1914)
Submitted by Amy Robbins-Tjaden


William H. Moore

Death called William H. Moore on the 11th of February, 1913, and in his passing Clarksville and the community mourned the loss of a representative and valued citizen. He had long been identified with agricultural interests and the way in which he managed his business affairs made one recognize the fact that the wealth of Iowa is in her soil and her strength lies in its intelligent development. Mr. Moore was born in Schoharie county, New York. March 14, 1840, and was a son of John and Alonsa (Turner) Moore, who spent their entire lives upon a farm in the Empire state. The paternal grandfather was a native of Holland and became the founder of the family in the new world. John Moore was married twice, his first union being with Betsy Wickes, by whom he had three children, while by the second marriage there were five children. John Madison Moore, a brother of William H. Moore, became a resident of Butler county, as did his half-sister, Mrs. Margaret Snyder.

William H. Moore engaged in teaching school in New York and Wisconsin in early manhood and also followed the same profession in Butler county. Leaving the Empire state in 1861, he removed westward to Wisconsin and was there residing when in 1865 he responded to the country's call for troops, enlisting in the Forty-sixth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, with which he served as a private for eight months, being on duty in Tennessee and northern Georgia.

In 1866 he arrived in this county and purchased land in Butler township, where he devoted the remainder of his active life to general farming. He had three hundred and twenty acres in his home place and although he began farming here on a small scale he was very successful, his labors being crowned with substantial prosperity as the years went by. At length he was in possession of a handsome competence sufficient to supply him with all of the comforts of life through his remaining days and at his death he left to his family a goodly competence. He retired to Clarksville in the fall of 1908 and there remained in the enjoyment of a well earned rest until called to his final home on the 11th of February, 1913.

It was on the 17th of November, 1867, that Mr. Moore was united in marriage to Miss Mary Ann Perrin, who was born in Pennsylvania, October 20, 1847, and in the fall of 1851 came to Butler county with her parents, Jeremiah and Elizabeth (Scarber) Perrin, who were natives of England and after their marriage crossed the Atlantic to the United States, settling in Pennsylvania. Ultimately they removed to the west and both died in Butler county, Iowa, the mother in 1865 and the father on the 26th of September, 1903. He was a farmer throughout his active business life and in his later years he also became interested in banking and was accounted one of the prominent business men of this section of the state. Since coming to Iowa with her parents in 1851 Mrs. Moore has continuously resided in this county save the second year after her marriage, when with her husband she returned to Schoharie county, New York. About a year later, however, they again came to Iowa, where she has since lived and now for more than six decades she has been a witness of the growth and development of this section of the state. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Moore were born six children: Ellena, at home; Delmar J., who is a member of the Waterloo Auto Supply Company at Waterloo, Iowa; Lizzie, the wife of H. V. Chapin, of Red Bluff, California; Anna Perrin, the wife of J. L. Carr, of West Plains, Missouri; Arthur Garfield, who is operating the home farm east of Clarksville; and Alpha Retta, with her mother. All of the children were born in Butler county.

Mr. Moore was one of the valued representatives of the Grand Army of the Republic and delighted in meeting with his old army comrades. In politics he was a republican from the time that age conferred upon him the right of franchise, and he held a number of offices, the duties of which he acceptably discharged. During the last nineteen years of his life he was a member of the Christian church and for many years was a member and president of the church board being also an elder of the church, and his daily record was in harmony with his professions. His religion was not merely a matter of Sunday observance but guided him in all of his relations with his fellowmen and made him a citizen whom to know was to respect and honor.

[History of Butler County, Iowa, Volume 2, 1914]
Submitted by Cathy Danielson


John F. Mott

The official record of John F. Mott is creditable alike to himself and his constituents and the confidence reposed in him by his fellow townsmen is best indicated in the fact that he is now seizing for the third term as mayor of Clarksville. Abraham Lincoln has said: "You can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time," and when a man has been again and again called to public office it is unmistakable proof of the fact that his fellow townsmen recognize in him the qualities of an efficient officer and one who is conscientious in the discharge of his duties. As chief executive Mr. Mott has given to his city a businesslike and progressive administration characterized by progress and needed reforms.

A native of Livingston county, New York, he was born August 1,1844, of the marriage of [illegible] and Eliza (Grovesteen) Mott, who were also natives of the Empire state and there spent their entire lives. The father was of English descent, while the mother came of German lineage, and both come of old New York families represented in the state for several generations. He became a paper manufacturer and conducted the business until death ended his labors.

John F. Mott was the oldest of eleven children, three of whom are now deceased. One of the number, Alonzo Mott, now living in Clarksville, enlisted for service in the Civil war in 1863 as a member of Company J, One Hundred and Fifty-third New York Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of hostilities under General Banks. When John F. Mott was five years of age his parents removed with their family to Esperance, Schoharie county, New York. When he was a youth of fifteen he left home and went to Montgomery county, that state, to which county his parents subsequently removed, spending their last days in Amsterdam.

It was in Montgomery county, in 1863, that John F. Mott was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Leonardson, who was born in Canajoharie, New York. In November, 1865, they went to Toledo, Ohio, and in 1871 became residents of Monroe county, Missouri, whence in 1873 they came to Iowa, traveling by prairie schooner to Bremer county, where they located on a farm near the Butler county line. There Mr. Mott carried on general agricultural pursuits until 1881, when he purchased a farm on section 24, Butler county. He continued its further cultivation and development for some time but in September, 1894, removed to Clarksville, where he was engaged in the live-stock business and where he has since made his home. For a few years in early life he worked with his father in the paper mill but the greater part of his life has been devoted to agricultural pursuits. About ten years ago he purchased two hundred and eighty acres of land in Mower county, Minnesota, but sold it in the fall of 1912. He was engaged in the live-stock business in Clarksville for twelve years, buying, selling and shipping stock, but in 1902 withdrew from that activity upon beingelected to public office.

It was on that date that Mr. Mott was chosen county supervisor, in which position he served for two terms or six years, making a creditable record in that connection. He has always been a stalwart republican in politics and upon the party ticket has been elected to a number of local offices. For some years he served as assessor and trustee of Butler township and he was elected a member of the city council of Clarksville before being first elected to the position of mayor, in which he is now serving, for the third term of two years. He has ever exercised his official prerogatives in support of measures and movements for the general good and his official record is indeed commendable. He has also been a member of the county central committee and his opinions carry weight in republican circles.

Unto Mr. and Mrs. Mott were born three children: Ada, the wife of Grant A. Gibson, of Valley Ford, Washington; Charles, who is living in Dexter, Minnesota; and Elmer J., of Raymond, South Dakota. The two oldest are natives of New York and the youngest of Missouri.

Mr. Mott is a Mason, belonging to Butler Lodge, No. 94, F. & A. M., and also to Temple Chapter, No. 74, R. A. M. He and his wife have an extensive circle of warm friends in Clarksville and throughout the county and he is justly numbered among the representative citizens of his section of the state.

History of Butler County, Iowa: a Record of Settlement, Organization, Progress andAchievement Vol. 2 by Irving H. Hart (1914)
Submitted by Amy Robbins-Tjaden


William E. Patterson, M. D.

Dr. William E. Patterson, who in the thirteen years of his connection with the medical profession in Greene has made steady and creditable progress, establishing himself in an enviable position in the regard of the public by reason of his skill and ability in his chosen calling, was born in Clarksville, this county, October 7, 1875. He is a son of Francis Patterson, a native of Canada, who came with his parents to the United States when he was still a child, settling with them in DeKalb county, Illinois, where he grew to manhood. He later moved to Iowa and settled in Butler county, where he became one of the well known and prosperous residents. Dr. William E. Patterson was reared in Clarksville and acquired his early education in the city schools. He afterward attended Waterloo college and then studied for two years in the medical department of the State University. At the end of that time he entered the college of Physicians and Surgeons in Chicago, Illinois, and was graduated from that institution with the degree of M. D., in 1900. After completing his studies, Dr. Patterson settled in Greene, where he has since engaged in the practice of his profession. He has, however, never considered his medical education complete, but has taken many special cqurses and has remained always a close and earnest student of his profession. His patronage has steadily grown, as he has demonstrated his skill and ability and he is recognized as one of the most progressive and able medical practitioners of the county. He reads broadly and thinks deeply and the result of his investigation and research is seen in the excellent service which he renders his patrons. He is a member of the American Medical Association and the Iowa State and Austin Flint Medical Societies and he thus keeps in touch with the trend of modern thought in his profession.

In Charles City, on the 14th of September, 1901, Dr. Patterson was united in marriage to Miss Martha Smith, who was born in Ohio and who lived there until she was eleven years of age. Her family later moved to Iowa and settled in Marble Rock. Dr. and Mrs. Patterson became the parents of three children: Max Edward; Katherine Faith; and Mary Ruth, who died in December, 1905. The family occupies a comfortable home in Thorp's addition, the best resident section of Greene, and the parents are well known in social circles.

Dr. Patterson gives his political allegiance to the republican party and served one term as county coroner, and for some time as a member of the board of health. He is connected with the Masonic fraternity and an active member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. His interests are thoroughly identified with those of Greene and Butler county where he has passed his entire life, and where he is known as a public-spirited and progressive citizen. In professional and social life he holds to high standards and his worth as a man and a citizen is widely acknowledged.

[History of Butler County, Iowa, Volume 2, 1914]
Submitted by Cathy Danielson


J. M. Ramsey

J. M. Ramsey is editor of the Clarksville Star and well known as a leading representative of journalistic interests in his section of the state. He holds to high standards in newspaper publication, following none of the methods of "yellow journalism," and

since purchasing the Star in 1909 its circulation and advertising patronage have steadily increased.

Mr. Ramsey was born near Clarksville in one of the old-time log cabins, February 25, 1869, his parents being Charles and Margaret (Gabby) Ramsey, who were natives of Pennsylvania, the former born in Harrisburg in 1836 and the latter in Washington county in 1841. They were reared in the Keystone state but were married near West Union, in Adams county, Ohio. In 1861 they came to Iowa, settling a mile north of Clarksville. The mother departed this life in 1893, while the father survived for a decade. He took an active interest in politics as a supporter of the democratic party and held many local offices. His religious faith was that of the Presbyterian church and to its teachings he was ever loyal. His life work was that of farming, which he conducted on an extensive scale until after the death of his wife. He first came to this county in 1857 but afterward returned to Ohio and brought his family in 1861. He had removed from Pennsylvania to Ohio with his parents when fourteen years of age and resided in the latter state until he sought a home in Iowa. Here he began farming and operated large tracts of land. In 1878 he had nearly six hundred acres planted to wheat but the crop failed and he lost heavily. An epidemic of diphtheria also raged in that year and two of the children, George and Ida, died of the disease and were interred in the Lynwood cemetery. To Mr. and Mrs. Charles Ramsey were born eight children, of whom two died in infancy, while three are now living: Janette, the wife of J. L. Caskey, of Akron, Iowa; Charles, of Minnesota; and J. M. Ramsey.

The last named has been a lifelong resident of Butler county. He pursued his early education in the public schools of Clarksville and of Greene and later became a student at Cedar Rapids. He spent the year 1904 in Mexico but the remainder of his life has been passed in this county, his boyhood and youth being spent upon the home farm, where he early became familiar with all of the duties and labors that fall to the lot of the agriculturist. In 1890 he entered the Star office and has since been identified with the paper which he purchased in 1909, becoming sole owner and editor. For twenty-three years he has been a newspaper man and is familiar with every phase of newspaper publication both along mechanical lines and in the assembling of news items and the writing of editorials. He publishes his paper in behalf of local welfare and has made it a clean, attractive and readable journal which is now liberally patronized.

On the 30th of September, 1893, Mr. Ramsey married Miss Delia Shafer, who was born in this county and is a daughter of W. R. Shafer, of Clarksville. They now have two children, Edna Georgia and Alice Lavon.

Mr. Ramsey belongs to the Knights of Pythias and is a member of the state lodge. In politics he is a republican, influential in party councils. He has served on various occasions as a delegate to the county, district and state conventions and has occupied a number of official positions. For twelve years he was assessor of the city and for five years was recorder of Clarksville. On the 1st of July, 1913, he was appointed assistant state game warden, which position he is now filling. His record in connection with public office is a creditable one, for he has always been loyal and prompt in the discharge of his duties. His public spirit had been manifest in many connections, not the least being through the columns of his paper, in which he always champions every measure and movement for the general good.

[History of Butler County, Iowa, Volume 2, 1914]
Submitted by Cathy Danielson


J. Scofield

J. Scofield, superintendent of the County Poor Farm, was born in Pennsylvania, in 1843. In 1845 the family migrated to Jo Daviess county, Illinois, where the father died in 1846, leaving two children - Elizabeth, now Mrs. J. C. Jones, and Josiah, who is the subject of this sketch.

He, when five years of age, went to live with one J. W. Marshall, and remained serving him as an errand boy about the store until sixteen years of age. He then worked two years on the C. B. & Q. R.R., after which, in 1861, he enlisted in Company F, of the Twelfth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served nearly four years. He then returned to Illinois and engaged in farming.

In 1866 he married Miss Mandania Minor, and in 1869 came to Iowa, and has since been a resident of Butler county, and since January 1, 1877, has had charge of the County Poor Farm.

Mr. Scofield is a republican in politics, and a member of the Masonic fraternity. The children are - Mary, Charles, Nellie.

[History of Butler & Bremer Counties, Iowa, 1883, transcribed by CD]


J. L. Scripture, M. D.

Dr. J. L. Scripture, successfully engaged in the practice of medicine and surgery in Clarksville, his wide knowledge, skill and ability being recognized by his many patients, was born in Dubuque, Iowa, March 13, 1870, and is a son of Calvin and Nancy (Strohl) Scripture. The father's birth occurred near Lockport, New York, in 1826 and when fourteen years of age he came to Iowa with his parents, who located at Dubuque when that city contained but two or three houses. Calvin Scripture operated a threshing machine for thirty years and then located on a farm three miles west of Clarksville. He married Nancy Strohl, who was born in Sandusky, Ohio, December 17,1832, and who was brought to Iowa by her parents about 1842, the family home being established on a farm in Julian township, Dubuque county. They were married in that county and there the death of Mrs. Scripture occurred in February, 1896, while Mr. Scripture survived only until the following July. In the early days he secured his land from the government and he and his wife spent their entire married life upon the farm which he developed and improved. Both were active and faithful members of the Methodist Episcopal church, never missing prayer meeting or any church service unless ill health forced them to remain away. They lived upright, godly lives and their influence was of far-reaching benefit among friends and neighbors.

Dr. Scripture was the seventh in order of birth in a family of eight children, of whom two are now living, a sister, Carrie, making her home with the brother. Under the parental roof Dr. Scripture continued until 1886, when he went away to school, entering the Epworth Seminary, Epworth, Iowa. He attended only through the winter terms and completed his course in 1894. In that year he entered the medical department of the State University and was graduated therefrom in 1897. In the same year he opened an office and began practice in Clarksville, where he remained for two and one-half years, after which he pursued a post-graduate course in New York city. He then located in Cresco, Howard county, Iowa, where he remained for ten years, but in 1909 returned to Clarksville, where he has since engaged in general practice. He has always been a close student of his profession and by wide reading, research and investigation as well as by post-graduate courses has kept in touch with the advancement of the profession. He is also a member of the County and State Medical Societies, and the American Medical Association and in all of his practice he holds to the highest standards of professional ethics.

In 1899 Dr. Scripture was married to Miss Nellie E. Davis, a native of Clarksville and a daughter of M. S. and Minnie (Millen) Davis. They have one son, James Cyril. Dr. Scripture has served on the executive committee of the Driving Park Association and has been a member of the board of health of his town. In politics he is a progressive and keeps well informed on the questions and issues of the day. Fraternally he is a prominent Mason, having served as worshipful master of Butler Lodge, No. 94, A. F. & A. M., and as high priest of Temple Chapter, No. 74, R. A. M. He also belongs to Waterloo Council, R. & S. M., and to the Knight Templar Commandery at Cedar Falls. A liberal education qualified him for his professional duties and in that regard he has made a creditable record by his success in practice. At the same time he has never been neglectful of his duties of citizenship and Clarksville has benefited in many ways by his efforts in her behalf.

[History of Butler County, Iowa, Volume 2, 1914]
Submitted by Cathy Danielson


Herman Schmadeke

Herman Schmadeke is a retired grain and lumber merchant of Clarksville, who owes his success not to any fortunate combination of circumstances or to the assistance of wealthy kinsmen, but to his own unaided efforts and business enterprise. He was born in Hanover, Germany, January 6, 1859, his parents being Frederick arid Dorothy (Hasemeyer) Schmadeke, who came to the United States in 1871 with three of their children, one son having preceded the family to the new world. They settled in DuPage county, Illinois, and in 1876 Mr. Schmadeke went to Freeman township, Bremer county, Iowa, where he took up his abode on a farm, both he and his wife passing away on that place. He was a manufacturer of rope in the old country, but after coming to the new world continuously followed farming. He never took any active part in public affairs, devoting his time to his business interests and his family and to his duties as a member of the German Lutheran church. He was in his eightieth year at the time of his death, for he was born in 1814 and passed away December 8, 1893. His wife, who was born in 1824, died October 22,1895. Their children were Frederick, who was born in November, 1851, and now lives in Fremont township, Butler county; Henry, whose home is in Fremont township, Bremer county; Herman; and Louise, the wife of Frederick Stradtmann, of Fremont township, Bremer county.

Herman Schmadeke was a youth of thirteen years when the family crossed the broad Atlantic. He remained under the parental roof until fifteen years of age and then began working by the month as a farm hand being thus employed for two years. He afterward learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed for about twenty years, at the end of which time he entered the lumber and grain business. In 1884 he came to Butler county and has resided in Clarksville for thirty years. During seventeen years of that period he was engaged in the lumber and grain business and had three partners within that time. He built up an extensive trade, handling large amounts of grain and lumber each year, while his annual sales brought him a gratifying income. He is now practically living retired, although he takes some contracts for building. For four years he was also a representative of mercantile interests, conducting a general merchandise store which he afterward sold to his son. He has ever been a man of determined purpose, carrying forward to successful completion whatever he has undertaken,and brooking no obstacles that could be overcome by persistent, energetic and honorable effort.

In 1886 Mr. Schmadeke was married to Miss Caroline Becker, who was born in Clayton county, Iowa, March 2, 1866, and came to this county with her parents in early childhood. She is a daughter of Ferdinand and Louise (Buchholz) Becker, natives of Germany, and now residents of Clarksville. Mr. and Mrs. Schmadeke have become the parents of six children: Alfred; Olinda, who died August 6, 1913, at the age of twenty-three years and five months; Bertha, a teacher in the rural schools of the county; Carrie, a high school graduate; Arthur; and Esther.

Mr. Schmadeke votes with the democratic party and his fellow townsmen, appreciative of his worth, ability and public spirit, have called him to public office, his service as a member of the city council covering about ten years. For eight years he was also a member of the board of education and the school system of the county has found him a stalwart and helpful friend. He became one of the charter members of the Evangelical church of Clarksville and has served on its official board. The foregoing indicates that he is interested in all that pertains to the material, intellectual, social, political and moral development of the community. He has lived to see many changes in the county since he arrived here. Land which could be purchased at a very low figure, today commands high prices for the country has become thickly settled. Mr. Schmadeke owns two good farms, one in this county and the other in North Dakota. He started out in life for himself empty-handed when fifteen years of age and gave his wages to his parents until he reached the age of twenty-five. All has not been smooth sailing. At times he has met hardships and difficulties, but he has never faltered and his industry and perseverance have at length brought him to the goal of success. He is proud of his adopted country and his citizenship here and he believes that every man in America has opportunity to make a good home if he is but industrious and honest. His own life is a verification of this belief and proves that success and an honest name may be won simultaneously.

History of Butler County, Iowa: a Record of Settlement, Organization, Progress andAchievement Vol. 2 by Irving H. Hart (1914)
Submitted by Amy Robbins-Tjaden


Winfred C. Shepard

Winfred C. Shepard is numbered among the native sons of Butler county, whose record reflects credit and honor upon the place of his nativity. Making good use of his time and opportunities, he has gained for himself a creditable position as a member of the bar and as president of the Craig-Ray Abstract Company, Incorporated, of Allison. He was born in Clarksville, January 25, 1879, a son of A. D. and Alice (Sill) Shepard. The father was born in Vermont, December 2, 1852, and at the age of fourteen years came to this county to live with an uncle, Benjamin Priest, for his mother had died when he was very young and his father Ernest Dexter Shepard had died during the Civil war. A. D. Shepard has since lived in Butler county and now makes his home on a farm near Clarksville, being one of the worthy and respected representatives of agricultural pursuits in this section of the state. In her early girlhood his wife accompanied her parents on their removal from New York to Wisconsin. Later her father came to Iowa and secured government land in Jackson township, Butler county, to which the family removed. Her parents were Mr. and Mrs. George Sill, the mother's maiden name being Cooper. Both are now deceased. Mrs. Sill passed away on the farm, on which they first located and Mr. Sill died later at his home southeast of Clarksville. In the family of Mr. and Mrs. A. D. Shepard were seven sons and three daughters, all of whom survived.

Winfred C. Shepard has spent his entire life in Butler county, remaining on the farm with his father until seventeen years of age. He attended the country schools and the Clarksville high school, from which he was graduated with the class of 1897. Later he was for two years a student in Cornell college at Mount Vernon, Iowa, and in 1905 was graduated from the law department of Drake University. Having thus qualified for a professional career he returned to Allison, where he has since engaged in practice, being now recognized as one of the able young members of the bar. He prepares his cases with thoroughness and skill and in addition to a gratifying private practice, he is acting as local attorney for the Chicago & Great Western and the Chicago & Northwestern Railroads. He is also president of the Craig-Ray Abstract Company, Incorporated, of Allison.

On the 1st of May, 1909, Mr. Shepard was married to Miss Addie E. Loomer, a native of this county and a daughter of Phillip Loomer of Clarksville. They have had one child, Virgil Eugene. The parents are members of the Methodist church and Mr. Shepard is a republican. He served for one term as mayor of Allison and is the present city clerk. He has been a delegate to various political conventions and is deeply interested in all the vital questions pertaining to good government, municipal, state or national. In fact he is an alert, wide-awake, energetic man, who keeps abreast with the times and his worth as a citizen is widely acknowledged, while his position in professional circles is one of growing importance.

[History of Butler County, Iowa, Volume 2, 1914]
Submitted by Cathy Danielson


Fred L. Stober

Fred L. Stober, well known in financial circles of Butler county, is cashier of the First State Bank of Greene. It was in the town of Greene that he was born July 11, 1877, a son of Louis J. Stober, who came with his parents from Germany to America during his childhooddays. The family home was established in Freeport, Illinois, where he grew to manhood.

In 1876, at Bloomington, Illinois, Louis J. Stober married Miss Fredericka Koehn, who was also a native of Germany and was about eighteen years of age when she became a resident of Illinois. It was in Freeport, that state, that Louis J. Stober learned the harness-maker's trade, which he followed continuously until 1876. The same year he removed westward to Iowa, settling in Greene, where he established a harness shop, engaging in active business in this city for thirty-five years thereafter. In 1912 he disposed of the shop and since that time has lived retired, enjoying a well earned and well merited rest.

He and his wife became the parents of three sons: Fred L., of this review; Dr. Alvin M., a successful medical practitioner in Chicago; and Dr. Ray W., a well known physician of Freeport, Illinois.

Fred L. Stober was reared at home and acquired his education in the public schools of Greene. After completing the high school course he accepted a position in the First State Bank in January, 1895, beginning in a humble capacity, from which he rose rapidly. Soon after he became connected with the institution he was made bookkeeper, and he served as such until January, 1903, when he was elected cashier. He has since remained in this position and has established himself firmly in the public regard as one of the leading and reliable financiers of the county. He is a stockholder in the bank and is a director in the Electric Light & Power Company, which he aided in promoting, and he is held in high regard by his business associates.

In Greene, on the 29th of November, 1900, Mr. Stober was united in marriage to Miss May M. Mason, who was born in Clyde, Ohio, and is a daughter of N. B. and Elizabeth (Carlton) Mason. Mr. Mason is a native of New York and Mrs. Mason a native of Ohio. He is a veteran of the Civil war and at one time was sheriff of Sandusky county, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Stober have three children, Fred Mason, Maude E., and Louis James.

Mr. Stober is a Master Mason and is identified also with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. In the local organizations of both he has been active and is a past grand in the Odd Fellows lodge. His wife is connected with both the Rebekahs and the Order of the EasternStar.

Politically Mr. Stober gives his allegiance to the republican party and he has filled several important positions of trust and responsibility. He served for a number of years as town clerk and since 1910 has been clerk of Coldwater township. He has also been secretary of the school board and secretary of the Greene Library Association. His public spirit has prompted him to activity along many lines which have been of direct benefit to his community and at thesame time he is a representative business man, carefully managing his individual affairs so that he is winning good results for his family.

History of Butler County, Iowa: a Record of Settlement, Organization, Progress andAchievement Vol. 2 by Irving H. Hart (1914)
Submitted by Amy Robbins-Tjaden


Julius Temple

Julius Temple, one of the few remaining veterans of the Civil war and today one of the best known farmers and stock-raisers of Dayton township, owns and operates one hundred and twenty acres of excellent land three miles from Greene. He is numbered among the pioneers in Iowa, having located here in 1858. He was born near Springfield, Massachusetts, January 13, 1844, a son of John Temple, also a native of that state, who passed away when his son was still a child.

Mr. Temple remained in Massachusetts until he was fourteen years of age and then came west, locating in the vicinity of Waterloo, Iowa, where he attended high school. At the age of twenty he moved to Wisconsin and in May, 1864, enlisted in Fond du Lac as a member of Company D, Forty-first Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. His regiment was sent south to Memphis and on the way participated in several engagements under General A. J. Smith. Mr. Temple was in the battle of Holly Springs and fought against General Forrest at Memphis. He took part in four engagements during the march up the Tennessee river and he witnessed Lee's surrender to Grant. At the close of hostilities he was mustered out, receiving his honorable discharge at Milwaukee in September, 1865.

Returning to Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, he spent the winter with his uncle in that city and then in the spring of 1866 they both came to Iowa, the uncle buying a mill site at Eldora, building a dam and erecting a flour and grist mill. They carried on business there for a number of years but eventually Julius Temple returned to the vicinity of Waterloo, where he purchased a farm. At the end of two years he sold this property and bought land in Floyd county, breaking one hundred acres and beginning the work of development. Soon afterward, however, he disposed of this property also and purchased the one hundred and twenty acres in Dayton township upon which he has since resided. He broke the soil, erected fences and put out a grove of forest and evergreen trees as well as a fine row of cottonwood trees along the road in front of his farm. At first he erected a small house upon his place and this he later replaced by a large modern residence with two ells. He erected also a substantial barn and granary and corn cribs as well as other buildings which he keeps always in good repair, his farm being one of the best improved and most valuable properties in his locality.

Mr. Temple's marriage, which occurred May 10, 1873, was the first ceremony of this kind to be performed in the town of Greene. On that date he wedded Miss Beth Ann Miner, a sister of R. and O. C. Miner, prominent business men of Greene, of whom further mention is made elsewhere in this work. Mr. and Mrs. Temple have two children. John, a resident of Greene, is married and has one son, Walker. Jessie acquired her education in the public schools of Butler county and is now at home. The parents are members of the Greene Methodist Episcopal church.

Mr. Temple gives his political allegiance to the republican party and has always taken an active interest in community affairs, serving in various positions of public trust and responsibility. He has been township trustee and township clerk and he was also for three years a member of the county board of supervisors. The cause of education finds in him a loyal and devoted champion and he was one of the men who helped to locate and erect many of the school buildings in Butler county.

During the long period of his residence in this locality he has contributed materially to growth and development along many lines and is recognized as one of the individual factors in general progress. A man of sterling character, good business ability and progressive public spirit, he has advanced steadily to a position of prominence and importance and today holds a high place in the esteem and confidence of his fellow citizens.

[History of Butler County, Iowa, Volume 2, 1914]
Submitted by Cathy Danielson




Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.