Genealogy Trails logo

History and Genealogy
of
Decatur County, Iowa

 

Biographies of Decatur County



Daniel Anderson

Since February 12, 1900, Daniel Anderson has been postmaster of Lamoni and in that time the business of the office has increased nearly two hundred per cent. He was born in La Salle county, Illinois, on the 8th of June, 1867, a son of Andrew K. and Inger Anderson, both of whom were born near Stavanger, Norway. The birth of the father occurred on the 24th of June, 1832, and that of the mother on the 17th of January, 1836. In 1857 both crossed to the new world, sailing on the same ship to Quebec. Later both went to Chicago and on the 5th of July, 1857, they were married in La Salle county, Illinois. Their acquaintance dated from their childhood, as they resided in the same locality in Norway. The father is a director of the State Savings Bank of Lamoni and is a man of much business ability. They were the parents of eight children, one of whom died in infancy, the others being: Andrew, a resident of

Lamoni, who, in connection with his brother Oscar operates several hundred acres of land in Fayette township; Mrs. Anna A. Dancer, who is mentioned elsewhere in this work; Daniel; Benjamin M., a resident of Independence, Missouri, who is a traveling salesman for the Carpenter Paper Company of Omaha; Oscar, a banker of Lamoni, who is also an extensive land owner and who is mentioned elsewhere in this work; David A., a graduate of the State University of Iowa who has the degree of Ph. D., and who is a member of the faculty of the State University of Washington; and Nellie M., at home, who graduated from the local high school and who is also a graduate of Graceland College.

Daniel Anderson was about five years old when in March, 1872, the family removed from Ottawa, Illinois, to Decatur county, Iowa, locating in the precinct where Lamoni now stands. He attended the local high school and then turned his attention to farming until 1900, when he was made postmaster of Lamoni. He has since held that office and the fact that he has been reappointed under various presidents is incontrovertible proof of the satisfactoriness of his service. During the fifteen years that he has been postmaster the business of the office has increased nearly two hundred per cent and there are four rural mail routes and a mail messenger route between Togo and Lamoni and in the office itself employment is furnished to an assistant postmaster, two clerks and a substitute.

In December, 1888, Mr. Anderson married Miss M. Annie Scott, who was born in Nebraska City, Nebraska, but was taken to Plano, Illinois, when a child. Her parents, John and Sarah Scott, both natives of England, emigrated to the United States in .1866 and in 1881 became residents of Lamoni. The father was foreman in the Herald Publishing House from 1886 until 1896, but both he and his wife have gone to their reward. A brother of Mrs. Anderson passed away in 1889 when nineteen years of age, but she has three sisters living, namely: Mrs. Carrie Willis, residing in Lamoni; Mrs. H. L. Ferguson, who is living in Norwalk, Iowa; and Lorna M. Scott, who is the postmaster's capable assistant. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson have become the parents of three children: Helen, now Mrs. J. A. Willey, of Burlington, Iowa; A. Scott, a student in the State University of Iowa; and Andrew Kenneth, who died when but nineteen months old.

Mr. Anderson is a republican and has always taken much interest in the success of the party, doing all in his power to insure its victory at the polls. He is a deacon in the Reorganized Church of Latter Day Saints and for nineteen years was a member of the board of trustees of Graceland College, a church school at Lamoni. His personal characteristics are such that he has won warm friends and as an official he is very popular, since he is at once highly efficient and also uniformly courteous and accommodating.

(Source: History of Decatur County, Iowa, and Its People, 1915)


Guy P. Arnold

For many years Guy P. Arnold was actively engaged in agricultural pursuits and gained a gratifying measure of success as a farmer. He is now living retired in Garden Grove, enjoying the fruits of his former toil. He has resided in Decatur county for over fifty years, has always taken much interest in local history and is now president of the Decatur County Historical Society. The birth of Mr. Arnold occurred in Seneca county, Ohio, March 6, 1843, and he is a son of Sylvanus Arnold, who was born in Baileytown, Seneca county, New York. He engaged in merchandizing and farming in Iowa and later followed those occupations in California, where he passed away in 1866 when sixty-five years old. He left a large tract of land in that state. His father, John Arnold, was a son of Sylvanus Arnold, of Trenton, New Jersey. The family is English but has been represented in New England for two hundred years. It is probable that Benedict Arnold was a member of the same family as our subject. The mother of Guy P. Arnold was in her maidenhood Lu- cretia Baker and was a daughter of Samuel Baker, a veteran of the Revolutionary war. He was born in Connecticut of English descent and passed away in Steuben county, New York. His daughter Lucretia was born at Lake Keuka, that county, and died in Decatur county, Iowa, when eighty-six years old. She became the mother of two sons, but the brother of our subject has passed away.

Guy P. Arnold accompanied his father to Iowa county, Iowa, in June, 1853, when ten years of age and the following year the family located in Garden Grove township. Our subject attended the public schools of Decatur county and also pursued a high-school course, thus preparing himself for taking an intelligent part in the life of his community. He decided to devote his energies to farming and was very successful as an agriculturist, becoming the owner of several hundred acres of land in Decatur county. He gave considerable attention to stock-raising and owned a valuable herd of high grade shorthorn cattle. For a number of years he has lived retired in Garden Grove, as he has accumulated a competence.

In 1875 Mr. Arnold married Miss Elsie Howes, who was born in South Milwaukee, Wisconsin, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Nathan Howes. She is descended from Revolutionary stock and her ancestry is traced back to Elder Brewster. Her parents removed to Wisconsin, where they lived for many years, but in 1873 they settled in Decatur county, Iowa. Mrs. Arnold was a sincere Christian and a loyal member of the Episcopal church. She was a devoted wife and mother and her demise, which occurred in 1898, was an irreparable loss to her family. To Mr. and Mrs. Arnold were born four children: H. G., a farmer and stockman residing in Garden Grove; Helen, the wife of E. J. Lovett, of Garden Grove; Ethel, who married H. C. Culver, of Garden Grove township; and John Dent, a senior in the State College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts at Ames.

Mr. Arnold is an independent democrat and has been quite active in local political circles. His ability and integrity is recognized by his fellow citizens and he represented his district in the twenty-third general assembly of Iowa. Fraternally he holds membership in the Masonic order and in the Knights of Pythias and is popular not only in those organizations but also in the community at large. He is president of the Decatur County Historical Society, which has done so much to preserve the records of the early days of the county, and he has written a number of interesting articles on local history, some of which appear in the historical volume of this work.

(Source: History of Decatur County, Iowa, and Its People, 1915)


C. W. Barr

C. W. Barr, who is a substantial citizen of Morgan township, owns the Lick Branch Valley Farm and for years has been closely identified with the agricultural development of his locality. His birth occurred in Knox county, Ohio, on the 2d of November, 1843, and he is a son of Robert and Harriet (Bradfield) Barr. They located in Ohio in an early day and there the father carried on agricultural pursuits for many years. The mother died in that state in 1855 and the father subsequently remarried. Eventually he emigrated westward, locating in Decatur county, Iowa, where our subject had preceded him several years. The father purchased land in Morgan township, to the operation of which he gave his time and energies until called by death in 1890.

C. W. Barr was reared in Ohio and there acquired his education. When seventeen years of age he joined the Union army, enlisting on the 4th of October, 1861, in Company I, Fifty-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry, with which he served for three years. His regiment, which was assigned to the Army of the Cumberland, participated in the Kentucky campaign as a part of the Seventeenth Army Corps until the spring of 1862. From that time on it operated in Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia. Mr. Barr was honorably discharged at Vil- lanow, Georgia, October 17, 1864. He returned home and remained in Ohio until 1869, when he came to Decatur county and for two years worked in the employ of John Clarke in a woolen factory. He then purchased one hundred and thirty-five acres of land on section 17, Morgan township, which he improved and cultivated, and later he bought additional land until he now owns three hundred and sixty-four acres on sections 17 and 20. He has made his farm one of the best developed places in his township and through its operation has gained financial independence. He still takes an interest in its management although his son, Perry R., is now operating it. They raise thoroughbred Hereford cattle and have gained an enviable reputation as stockbreeders. Mr. Barr has always been practical and progressive in his agricultural work and the success which he has gained is well deserved. He is vice president of the Farmers & Merchants Bank of Lineville and is recognized as a man of sound business judgment.

On the 5th of September, 1867, Mr. Barr was married to Miss Sarah Borden, a daughter of Bradford and Charlotte (Evans) Borden, who were pioneers of Ohio and both of whom are deceased. Mrs. Barr has also passed away, her demise occurring in August, 1889, when she was forty-six years old. She was the mother of five children. Lucy A. married G. B. Keshlear and they became the parents of two children: Barr, a young man twenty-one years of age, residing in Sioux Falls, South Dakota; and Joseph A., seventeen years old, who is attending school at Leon, Iowa. Mr. Keshlear passed away in November, 1900, and his widow subsequently married L. B. Young, a farmer of Morgan township, by whom she has a son, Lawrence Bradford, who is six years old. Perry R. was married on the 8th of May, 1902, to Miss Blanch Willis, a daughter of James M. and Malinda (McGrew) Willis, who were born respectively in Tennessee and Missouri. In 1883 they became residents of Decatur county and although the father had farmed in Ohio he engaged in the mercantile business in Pleasanton after coming to this county. He is still conducting a store there and since McKinley's first term has served as postmaster of that town. His wife died in March, 1893. To Mr. and Mrs. Perry R. Barr three children have been born, namely: Charles Willis; Artemisia, who died February 4, 1904, when a year old; and Suzie Brayton, eight years of age.

Mr. Barr is a republican and for eleven years served as county commissioner and he has also been assessor of his township. His religious belief is that of the Christian Union church, in the work of which he takes much interest. Through his membership in the Grand Army of the Republic he keeps up his association with others who fought in defense of the Union and he is very loyal to that organization. He has now reached the age of seventy-one years and is living largely retired, having earned a period of leisure through many years of well directed labor. All who know him respect and esteem him highly. His son, Perry R. Barr, is now operating the homestead and is proving an enterprising, capable and up-to-date agriculturist. He also gives his political allegiance to the republican party and for four years has served acceptably as trustee of Morgan township. Fraternally he is identified with the Masonic order at Pleasanton and has many friends both within and without that organization.

(Source: History of Decatur County, Iowa, and Its People, 1915)


Steven V. Carter

Carter, Steven V., a Representative from Iowa; born in Carterville, Utah, October 8, 1915; at the age of 14 years moved with his parents to Lamoni, Decatur County, Iowa, and attended the public schools; graduated from Graceland College, Lamoni, Iowa, in 1934, University of Iowa in 1937, and State University of Iowa College of Law in 1939; was admitted to the bar in 1939 and commenced the practice of law in Leon, Iowa; county attorney, Decatur County, 1940-1944; served as a supply officer in the United States Navy 1943-1946, with service in the South Pacific Theater; city attorney, Leon, Iowa, 1946-1948; unsuccessful Democratic candidate for election to the Eighty-fifth Congress in 1956, and later unsuccessfully contested the election; elected as a Democrat to the Eighty-sixth Congress and served from January 3, 1959, until his death in Bethesda, Md., November 4, 1959; interment in Leon Cemetery, Leon, Iowa.

[Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1774-Present; transcribed by A. N.]


Charles F. Church

Charles F. Church, of Lamoni, who for the greater part of the past eighteen years has represented the Rock Island Sash & Door Works as a traveling salesman, has resided in Lamoni for forty-two years and is held in high esteem by his fellow citizens. He was born on the 15th of May, 1860, at Loda, Iroquois county, Illinois, a son of Horace Church, whose father was Caleb Church. The ancestry has been traced back to Earl Rognwald, who was king of Norway in A. D. 900, Charles F. Church being his descendant in the thirty-fifth generation. William, the first earl of Warren and Surrey, married Princess Gundred, a daughter of William the Conqueror, who was a descendant in the seventh generation from the aforementioned Earl Rognwald. William, earl of Warren and Surrey, died in 1088 and his wife passed away in 1085. The coat of arms of the earl of Warren and Surrey is well known in heraldry. The Warren line runs through William de Warren, earl of Warrenne in Normandy, to Walter de St. Martin, who married a daughter of a Norman baron of Danish extraction. The name remains de Warren to the twentieth generation. John de Warren, Esquire, of the nineteenth generation, was born in 1414 and married Isabelle, a daughter of Sir John Stanley, K. G. It is recorded that in May, 1496, William Warren of the twenty-first generation died, which shows that the prefix "de" had been dropped by that time. Richard Warren, of the twenty-seventh generation, was born in England, but emigrated to America on the Mayflower and signed the famous compact of the passengers of that ship. His wife and two sons and five daughters came to the new world on the ship, Anne, in July, 1623. He passed away at Plymouth, Massachusetts, in 1628. In 1635 his daughter Elizabeth was married at Plymouth, Massachusetts, to Richard Church, who was born in England in 1608. In 1630 he emigrated to Boston and was well known in the early history of that city. He was a man of much ability and of considerable wealth. He served in the Pequoit war, holding the rank of sergeant, and his second son, Benjamin, won considerable note as a soldier in that war. Charles F. Church, our subject, is of the eighth generation of the descendants of Richard and Elizabeth (Warren) Church.

Horace Church, the father of our subject, was born October 25, 1811, at Hopkinton, Washington county, Rhode Island, and taught school in early manhood for a number of years. He became a resident of Decatur county in 1873, arriving at Leon in August of that year. After remaining there a week he removed to New Buda, where he resided during the winter, but on the 28th of February, 1874, he removed to the Colony Farm in Fayette township, where he operated rented land for seven years. At the end of that time the settlement of Lamoni was started and he removed to the new town, where he continued to reside until he passed away April 21, 1892, when he was almost eighty-one years of age. He was an elder in the Reorganized Church of Latter Day Saints and while residing in Michigan, where he lived for a number of years previous to removing to Decatur county, he was local president. After taking up his abode in Lamoni he was still quite active in the work of the church although advanced in years. He retained his faculties fully until past seventy-five years of age and was a man of keen mentality. His wife, who was in her maidenhood Miss Sallie Eleanor Bissell, died at Lamoni on the 2d of October, 1907, when almost eighty-seven years of age, as she was born on the 4th of November, 1820. In early life she was a member of the Presbyterian church, and her husband belonged to the Seventh Day Baptist church, but about 1840, while living in Ohio, both became interested in the work of the Latter Day Saints. Subsequently, while residing in Michigan, they learned of the Reorganized Church, of which they became members. To their union were born nine children, of whom four grew to maturity and of whom three survive. Those besides our subject are: Edward C. Church and Mrs. Asa S. Cochran, both residents of Lamoni.

When four years of age Charles F. Church was taken by his parents to Michigan, the family home being maintained for about ten years at Hillyards, Allegan county, that state. He attended the public schools there and continued his education in Decatur county, Iowa, after the removal of the family to this state in 1873. He was the first clerk for "Sammy" H. Gurley, who was the postmaster of Lamoni, and the first general merchandise merchant in the town, and as he became a resident of Lamoni when it was first settled, Mr. Church remembers many facts of interest concerning the earliest history of the town. The first hardware store was owned by Hon. Thos. Teale and Henry Wheeling was the first hardware clerk. The first marriage solemnized there was that of C. D. Hammer and Lillie Brown, who are now residing at Creston, Iowa. The first birth in Lamoni was that of Lamoni Berta White, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Vol White, who are now living at Independence, Missouri.

Mr. Church did not remain in the employ of Mr. Gurley long and was for some time employed in the lumberyard at Lamoni. Subsequently he became a house painter and decorator and was for thirteen years a contractor in those lines, employing a number of men. Still later he was engaged with his mother, his father having died, in the mercantile business, the firm name being the Bee Hive Furnishing House, S. E. Church & Son, proprietors. They dealt in furniture and wallpaper, also carried a line of musical instruments and likewise conducted an undertaking business. They were affected by the hard times of 1893, but were able to continue in business, as their policy was a conservative one and as their methods were such as made for a steady normal growth. However, in 1897, the business was sold and for the past seventeen years Mr. Church has traveled as a commercial salesman in the states of Iowa, Illinois, Missouri and Kansas. He visits the chief jobbing centers and also a number of the smaller towns, and enjoys a nice business.

Mr. Church was married in Lamoni to Miss Laura L. Smith, a daughter of Norman W. Smith, a teacher and composer of music. For a number of years he has led the local choir in the Reorganized Church of Latter Day Saints and he is known outside of his home county as many of his compositions have been published and are appreciated by lovers of music. His daughter Laura L. was born on the 12th of September, 1862, at Hopkins, Michigan, and by her marriage has become the mother of four children. Lena was born February 8, 1884, and is now the wife of Wilbur E. Prall, who is employed in the State Savings Bank of Lamoni. They have three children, Carl, Dorothy and Lois. Arthur B., whose birth occurred on the 5th of August, 1896, is attending Graceland College and for some time has been perfecting himself in wireless telegraphy. He was the first one in Lamoni to take up that work and has made much of his own apparatus. He has two antennae and has become quite proficient in sending and receiving messages. His summer school work is done in a Marconi school at Valparaiso, Indiana, and he is preparing to take the United States government examination for amateurs and after passing that examination will receive a license and will become a member of the Wireless Association of America. He believes that there are great commercial possibilities in wireless telegraphy and all of his friends predict his success in his chosen field of work. Charles F., Jr., was born on the 2d of March, 1904, and is attending the public schools. Barton, whose natal day was the 4th of December, 1908, died in infancy.

Mr. Church has consistently supported the republican party since age conferred upon him the right of franchise, but has not desired to hold public office. He has taken an active part in the work of the Reorganized Church of the Latter Day Saints and for years has been a deacon in the local branch. He owns a beautiful home in Lamoni near the Children's Home and has taken much pleasure in remodeling his residence and making it thoroughly modern. He represents an ancient and distinguished family and has manifested admirable traits of character which have gained him the respect and esteem of his fellow citizens, while his business ability has enabled him to achieve success financially.

(Source: History of Decatur County, Iowa, and Its People, 1915)


J. C. Cozad

J. C. Cozad is a young man of sound judgment and executive ability and has successfully filled the office of cashier of the Decatur Savings Bank since the organization of the institution. A native son of the county, he was born in Morgan township in 1883, of the marriage of Jacob A. and Sarah J. (Hubbard) Cozad. The father was born in Indiana but in 1856, when about twelve years old came to Decatur county, Iowa, with his parents, Alice and Emeline (Swank) Cozad, likewise natives of the Hoosier state. They settled in Morgan township, entering land from the government. They continued to reside until called by death. Jacob A. Cozad was reared upon the home farm and knew by experience the hardships of pioneer life. In his young manhood he enlisted in the Union army, as did three of his brothers, John S., Aaron A. and James. They were all living in Decatur county at the time but enlisted in Missouri regiments. Although they participated in many hard-fought engagements all lived to return from the war. Jacob A. Cozad passed away when fifty-eight years of age and his wife died in July, 1913, upon the homestead, which comprises two hundred and eighty acres of excellent land. Both were members of the Methodist Episcopal church and did all that they could to further its work.

J. C. Cozad, who is one of a family of six children, spent his boyhood days upon his father's farm and received that excellent home training which develops the virtues of industry, perseverance and integrity. He was given good educational opportunities, attending the public schools, the Leon high school and Highland Park College at Des Moines. For seven years he engaged in teaching school and during the greater part of that time was an instructor in high schools. In May, 1908, he decided to turn his attention to other lines of endeavor and assisted in organizing the Decatur Savings Bank of Decatur City, which was capitalized for ten thousand dollars. The first president of the institution was J. H. Hill and the first cashier our subject, who still holds that position. The bank has enjoyed a steady growth and in 1912 its capitalization was increased to twenty-five thousand dollars. The institution transacts a general banking business and has gained the full confidence of the public as its methods are above question and are calculated to safeguard the interests of depositors and at the same time promote the development of the bank.

Mr. Cozad married Miss Vanetta Wasson, who was born in this county and is a daughter of H. F. and Hattie (Mullinix) Wasson, residents of Lineville, Iowa. To this union has been born one child, La Verne. Mr. Cozad is a democrat but has never sought to figure prominently in public affairs. He has concentrated his energies upon his business and much of the credit for the success of the Decatur Savings Bank is due to him as he has in large measure determined its policy since its organization.

(Source: History of Decatur County, Iowa, and Its People, 1915)


Philip Daily

PHILIP Daily was born near Elizabethtown, Indiana, January l, l838. Moved with his parents to Burlington, Iowa. In 1872 moved to Decatur County, Iowa. Lived there with the exception of four years (spent in Shenandoah, Iowa)On January 2l, l858, he marriage to MISS SARAH A. CARNAHAN and had nine children.

When the Civil War began, he enlisted January 5, l864, in Company D, of the First Regiment of Iowa Cavalry, and did service for his country until February l5th, l866. Mustered out in Texas.Died April 25, 1908

Submitted by Rhonda


Bert L. and Edith (Hendrickson) Eiker

Bert L. and Edith (Hendrickson) Eiker, both natives of Iowa and residents of Leon, were married August 28, 1907, and have one daughter, Edith. Mrs. Eiker is a registered graduate nurse, having received her training in the Nurses' Training School of Council Bluffs, Iowa, and the Post Graduate Training School for Nurses of Chicago, Illinois, graduating from the latter institution in 1905. Dr. Eiker is a graduate of Rush Medical College, Chicago, and has been engaged in general practice in Decatur county, Iowa, since his graduation in 1896.

(Source: History of Decatur County, Iowa, and Its People, 1915)


Clayton M. Keller

One of the well known and successful real-estate firms of Leon is Keller & Robertson, of which Clayton M. Keller is the senior partner. He was born upon a farm north of Leon in Center township, Decatur county, in 1867 and is a son of W. R. and Nancy J. (.Helm) Keller. Both of the parents were of English descent and previous to removing to Decatur county, Iowa, in the late '50s, resided in Tuscola, Illinois. The father devoted his time to farming and dealing in live stock and became the owner of a section of land, which is still in the possession of the family. His political belief was that of the democratic party and his church membership was held in the Christian church. He served in the Mexican war and was for two or three years a soldier in the Civil war and he became an enthusiastic member of the Grand Army of the Republic. His demise occurred in Franklin township in 1899 and his wife passed away in 1898. To their union were born ten children, all of whom reached maturity, but some have now passed away. Those residing in this county aside from our subject are: A. R., a farmer of Grand River township; and Lydia and Anna, both on the homestead.

Clayton M. Keller was reared in Franklin township and there attended school, although his educational advantages were very limited. However, he has learned many valuable lessons in the school of experience and has been very successful in business. Until 1898 he followed agricultural pursuits and still owns a number of farms, including a two hundred acre tract near the homestead. Upon leaving the farm in 1898 he engaged in the real-estate business in Leon and in the intervening seventeen years has built up the largest business of that character in Decatur county. He and his partner, Mr. Robertson, deal in real estate of all kinds and buy and sell outright and on commission. They have operated in Iowa, Colorado, Kansas and Nebraska, and the volume of their business has grown steadily.

Mr. Keller married Miss Maude Pryor, who was born in Garden Grove township, this county, and is a daughter of A. M. Pryor, a real-estate dealer of Leon. Mr. Keller attends the Christian church and fraternally is a member of the bodies of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, including the canton. His political allegiance is given to the democratic party but he has never desired public office as a reward for his loyalty. His residence, which is one block from the square, is one of the finest in the city, and he is recognized as a substantial and representative citizen. The success which he has gained is the just reward of his strict attention to business, his energy, his initiative and his fair dealing.

(Source: History of Decatur County, Iowa, and Its People, 1915)


Willard G. Lovell

Willard G. Lovell, a successful farmer of New Buda township, was born near Burlington on the 19th of July, 1873, of the marriage of Alfred and Sarah Ann (Merrick) Lovell. The father was born near Raunds, Northamptonshire, England, October 29, 1844, his parents being Ekin and Elizabeth (Raunds) Lovell. Alfred Lovell was brought to the United States in his childhood and received his education in the common schools of Des Moines county, Iowa. Upon reaching mature years he determined to devote his life to farming and has met with gratifying success in that occupation, owning one hundred and sixty acres of excellent land on section 9, New Buda township, Decatur county. He is a republican in politics and about 1884 became justice of the peace, in which office he served for two years. His religious faith is that of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, in which he has been a deacon for about sixteen years. He was married on the 21st of April, 1870, in Des Moines county, Iowa, to Miss Almina Merrick, a daughter of Hiram and Ann Merrick. She passed away on the 29th of October, 1871, and on the 5th of May, 1872, he was united in marriage to her sister, Sarah Ann. To the second union five children have been born, namely: Willard G.; Emma Elva; Ida Belle, deceased; Laura Ellen; and Lula Ann. Alfred Lovell retired from active life in 1905 and with his wife and daughters is now living in Lamoni.

The son, Willard G. Lovell, attended the district schools and after completing his education remained upon the home farm with his parents, assisting his father with the work of the homestead until the latter retired. Our subject then assumed charge of the operation of the farm, which he rents from his father. He carries on general farming and stock-raising and his labors are effective, yielding him a comfortable annual income.

In 1905 occurred the marriage of Mr. Lovell and Miss Mary Ann Henderson, a daughter of William and Julia (Fox) Henderson, natives respectively of Scotland and of Pennsylvania. Her parents located upon a farm in Jefferson county, Iowa, near Batavia, and there the father is still living. The mother, however, died in 1894. To Mr. and Mrs. Lovell have been born three children: Martha, whose natal day was the 22d of August, 1906; Georgia, born July 23, 1912; and Retha, born December 1, 1914.

Mr. Lovell supports the candidates and platform of the democratic party at the polls. He and his wife are both members of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints of Lamoni and take a helpful interest in its work. Mr. Lovell has demonstrated his ability as an agriculturist and his sterling worth of character has gained him the confidence and esteem of all who have been brought in contact with him.

(Source: History of Decatur County, Iowa, and Its People, 1915)


Allen G. McClelland

Allen G. McClelland son of J.C. and Elizabeth (Fox) McClelland, was born July 12, 1860 in Mercer County, Missouri. He was married September 07, 1884, to Mary N. Boyd, daughter of Charles and Susan (Atkinson) Boyd. They have twelve children living, one dead: Alva Earl, born June 28, 1774, died December 17, 1888; Enola B, September 15, 1887; John, December 01, 1889; Frances E., December 29, 1891; Charles B., November 16, 1893; Robert B., September 15, 1895; William W., May 29, 1897; Mary M., April 25, 1899; James C., December 22, 1900; Allen G. Jr., November 08, 1902; Madge N. July 12, 1907; Geanell E, April 20, 1909. Mrs. McClelland was born June 06, 1864 at Lineville Iowa. Mr. McClelland moved with his parents to Decatur, Iowa, when only one year old. They lived there two years, then went to Fairfield, Iowa, remaining there until the spring of 1866, when they moved to Adair County, Missouri. He lived at home till about grown, then went into the railroad train service, working for several different companies. He worked at this for thirteen years, then in February 1889, quit railroading, returned to Adair County, and resumed the occupation of farming. He has been there since that time. In 1904 he formed a partnership with Dr. Halladay, in his big farm. They own 480 acres, eight miles northeast of Kirksville. The home is no doubt the best country home in this county, or one of the best in North Missouri. It has twelve rooms besides basement, all of them large. It is thoroughly modern in every way, having its own light, heat and water plants. There are two bathrooms, concrete walks, fountains, etc. He raises Shorthorn and Hereford cattle (running a dairy), and Berkshire hogs.

[The History of Adair County Missouri, by E.M. Violette, 1911, submitted by Desiree Burrell Rodcay]


Reuben E. McLaughlin

Reuben E. McLaughlin, a well known and respected citizen of Leon, is now serving for the second term in the office of county auditor, proving an able and popular incumbent. His birth occurred in Decatur county, Iowa, on the 28th of May, 1881, his parents being John W. and Mary E. (Woodmansee) McLaughlin. The father, a native of Marion, Ohio, came to this county when a youth of twelve years and here attended the public schools in the acquirement of an education. In 1861 he enlisted for service in the Union army as a member of Company I, Thirty-fourth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, remaining with that command until the cessation of hostilities and being honorably discharged in 1865. Returning to Decatur county, he resumed agricultural pursuits and here successfully engaged in farming throughout the remainder of his active business career. His demise occurred on the 28th of March, 1907, and the community mourned the loss of one of its esteemed and substantial citizens. To him and his wife were born five children, as follows: Ettie G.; Laura, who is the wife of Francis Evert; John, who died in infancy; James W.; and Reuben E., of this review.

The last named acquired his early education in the public schools of this county and subsequently entered Drake University at Des Moines, completing his studies in that institution in 1900. After returning home he devoted his attention to agricultural pursuits for six years and then embarked in the farm implement business, conducting enterprises of that character at Davis City and Decatur for three years. In 1910 he was elected county auditor on the democratic ticket and at the end of two years' service was chosen for another term, in this connection making a most creditable and commendable record as an efficient and trustworthy public official.

In 1902 Mr. McLaughlin was joined in wedlock to Miss Mary E. Sheely, a daughter of J. R. Sheely, of Clarke county, Iowa. They have one child, Verda A. Mr. McLaughlin is a young man of enterprise, ambition and worth and has won many friends within the borders of his native county.

(Source: History of Decatur County, Iowa, and Its People, 1915)


Edward W. Neveln

Edward W. Neveln, who since 1913 has been superintendent of schools at Lamoni. was born at Victor, Iowa, on the 25th of April. 1890. His parents, C. H. and Catherine (Rotermund) Neveln, are still residing in that place. The father is engaged in business there and is also a farmer and stockman.

Edward W. Neveln was reared at home and at the usual age entered the public schools. He graduated from the high school at Victor with the class of 1907 and was then for two years a student at the State University of Iowa, and for a similar period of time attended the Iowa State Teachers' College at Cedar Falls, from which he was graduated with the class of 1912. In 1913 he was elected superintendent of schools at Lamoni for a three years' term and he has proved an able school administrator, working efficiently for the advancement of the public-school system. He has the faculty of securing the hearty cooperation of those who are working with and under him and he has the confidence and goodwill of the community.

Mr. Neveln is a democrat, has been delegate to a number of party conventions and is a leader in local democratic circles. Fraternally he belongs to the Lamoni Masonic lodge and his religious views are indicated by his membership in the Baptist church. He is a young man of great energy and is characterized by progressiveness in all that he undertakes. He seeks to make the work of the school meet the requirements of modern life and so adequately prepare the students for doing well their part of the world's work.

(Source: History of Decatur County, Iowa, and Its People, 1915)


Samuel Stuteville

Samuel Stuteville, a well known and successful farmer and stock- raiser of section 20, Morgan township, was born in Richland county, Illinois, on the 12th of January, 1857. His father, Charles Stuteville, was born in Kentucky of Scotch descent, October 9, 1803, and married Mrs. Margaret Conner, who was born June 6, 1806, and died January 6, 1845. Subsequently Mr. Stuteville was united in marriage in Illinois to Miss Maria Gardner, who birth occurred in Richland county, Illinois, on the 10th of September, 1819. She was of Yankee stock. In 1865 Mr. and Mrs. Stuteville removed to Missouri, locating in Mercer county, that state, near Lineville, Iowa. The father purchased land, upon which he resided until his death on the 11th of September, 1882. His wife continued to reside on the homestead and survived him for about six years, dying on the 10th of April, 1888. To their union were born eight children. Five of the sixteen children born of the two marriages of Mr. Stuteville are still living.

Samuel Stuteville began assisting with the work of the home farm when but ten years of age and for a number of years had complete charge of its operation. He continued to reside under the parental roof until he was twenty-nine years old, but in 1886 came to Decatur county, Iowa. He purchased eighty-eight acres of land on sections 24 and 25, Morgan township, near Lineville, and resided upon that place for four years. He then removed to his present homestead on section 20, that township, which he bought from George McDougal, who acquired it by relinquishment from John Milton, who in turn had entered it from the federal government. Mr. Stuteville subsequently added forty acres to the one hundred and twenty acres which he first purchased on section 20 and now owns one hundred and sixty acres of splendid land, all of which is in a high state of cultivation. He operates his farm personally and in addition to growing the usual crops raises high grade stock. He devotes his entire time to his agricultural work and his well directed labors return him a gratifying annual income.

Mr. Stuteville was married on the 11th of May,. 1884, to Miss Lydia Ann Manchester, a daughter of Isaac and Emily Manchester, more detailed mention of whom is made in the sketch of W. R. Manchester. To Mr. and Mrs. Stuteville have been born five children: a son who was born in 1885 and died in infancy; Fannie, whose birth occurred August 31, 1886, and who married Harvey Gammill, of Washington county, Colorado, and has a daughter, Vera; Emma, who died when four months old; Elise Bessie, whose birth occurred on the 8th of April, 1892, and who is at home with her parents; and Seybert Perry, who was born June 27, 1903.

Mr. Stuteville is a republican in politics and for twenty years was justice of the peace for Morgan township. He was also for six years township assessor and served for a considerable period of time as road supervisor, while he was school director for fourteen years. In all of the above named offices he proved capable and conscientious, his continued reelection indicating the acceptability of his services. His wife belongs to the Christian church and he is a member of the Masonic blue lodge at Lineville. He has gained an enviable reputation as a man of unswerving integrity, great energy and excellent judgment.

(Source: History of Decatur County, Iowa, and Its People, 1915)


Joshua A. West

Joshua A. West, who owns seven hundred acres of excellent land and recently gave his children two hundred acres, resides on section 1, Richland township, and is recognized as one of the most successful farmers and stock-raisers in Decatur county. He was born August 2, 1847, in Knox county, Illinois, a son of Samuel West. The latter was a native of Vermont and was reared partly in that state and partly in northern Indiana, where his parents removed when he was a boy. In early manhood he went to Knox county, Illinois, and there conducted a sawmill. For some time he traveled extensively over Wisconsin, Iowa and Illinois but later formed a partnership with P. B. Selby, who subsequently became his brother-in-law, and they operated a sawmill for years. Mr. West was married in Knox county to Miss Mary Ann Gullett, a native of Indiana, who had removed to Winnebago county, Illinois, when a young woman. They died in the Prairie state, the former in January, 1860, when fifty-one years of age, and the latter in 1910 when ninety-four years old. They were the parents of eight children, of whom our subject is the fourth in order of birth. Annie became the wife of Rev. Clark, a Methodist Episcopal minister, and passed away in Knox county, Illinois, leaving a family. John, who was a soldier in the Civil war and was incarcerated for ten months in Andersonville prison, is now residing in that county. Elizabeth is the wife of a Mr. McTier and lives in Knox county, Illinois. Joshua A., of this review, is the next in order of birth. Daniel is residing upon the old homestead in Knox county. Philamon, who owns several farms, is now living retired in Galesburg, Illinois. Mary Ann died when five years of age and one child died in infancy.

Joshua A. West was reared upon the home farm in Knox county, and attended the public schools in the acquirement of his education, which was somewhat limited, as he had to shoulder the responsibilities of a man at an early age. He was not only compelled to make his own way while still a boy, but it was also necessary for him to contribute to the support of others. He turned his attention to agricultural pursuits and after farming independently for some time in Illinois he removed to Decatur county, Iowa, arriving here in 1881. As the years passed his resources increased and he became the owner of nine hundred acres of excellent land, two hundred acres of which he has recently given his children. His home place is on section 1, Richland township, besides which he owns one hundred and eighty-one acres in Long Creek township and two hundred and forty acres in Clarke county. He has come into possession of all of his land since arriving here in 1881 and the extent of his holdings is proof of his energy and business ability. He raises the usual crops but also gives a great deal of attention to raising stock of a high grade and owns a pedigreed Norman horse.

Mr. West was married in Knox county, Illinois, in 1873 to Miss Lydia Ellen Clawson, who was born in 1855 in Auglaize county, Ohio, but who removed with the family to Knox county, Illinois, as a child. Several of her brothers are now living in Richland township, this county. Mr. and Mrs. West have become the parents of seven children: Oscar, of Long Creek township, married Blanche Fullerton, by whom he has seven children. Asa, who is farming in Richland township, married Miss Ella Ramsey, and they have one son living and lost a daughter, who died at the age of nine years. Franklin died when seventeen months old. Amos, who is at home, married Miss Nellie Ramsey, and they have lost two children. Huldah, who is living in Richland township, is the wife of Perry Emley, and they have two daughters. Samuel, a farmer of Richland township, married Miss Bertha Woods, by whom he has two sons and a daughter. Everett is at home.

Mr. West is a democrat and for twenty years has served as school treasurer of district No. 1, his long continuance in the office proving his efficiency. Fraternally he belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at Grand River, of which is son Amos is also a member. Both he and his wife are identified with the Christian church, the teachings of which constitute the guiding rules of their lives. Mr. West is thoroughly progressive and up-to-date, and these qualities are manifested not only in the many improvements which he has made upon his farm but also in his willingness to cooperate with movements seeking the advancement of his community along material or moral lines.

(Source: History of Decatur County, Iowa, and Its People, 1915)



Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.