History and Genealogy
Albert R. Anderson
Albert R. Anderson was born in Adams County, Ohio, November 8, 1837. He attained prominence in his native State before removing to Taylor County, Iowa, in 1857. There he studied law and was admitted to the bar, soon after removing to Clarinda where he enlisted at the beginning of the Civil War in the Fourth Iowa Infantry. He won rapid promotion, being commissioned first lieutenant for gallant service at the Battle of Pea Ridge, became captain during the siege of Vicksburg and assistant Adjutant-General during the Atlanta campaign. Mr. Anderson reached the rank of major before the close of the war. Upon returning to Iowa after peace was established, he became a resident of Fremont County and was soon appointed Collector of Internal Revenue for the Fifth Congressional District. In 1881 he was appointed Railroad Commissioner, serving until 1884. In 1886 he was elected Representative in Congress as an independent Republican. He died at Hot Springs, South Dakota, November 17, 1898.
[Iowa Biography By Benjamin F. Gue, 1903 – Transcribed by AFOFG]
REV. CHRISTOPHER LILLARD BUTTS
Religious Activity in Missouri 1870-1889
The ancestors of Elder C. L. Butts were of English origin. His great-grandfathers, Butts and Lillard, came from England previous to the Revolutionary War. The one family, Butts, settled in Virginia; the other, Lillard, in Maryland. Both families took an active part in favor of the Colonies in that war. From these two families that first came across the ocean have sprung, as far as is known, all the Butts and Lillards scattered over this country. Their descendants are to be found in almost every state of the Union.
The grand-father of the subject of this sketch, Mr. Samuel Butts, emigrated with his family, in 1810, from Virginia to Kentucky, the father, William Hamilton Butts, being at that time five years old. The family settled on Salt River, in Anderson County. In the same community was a descendant of the Lillards, having come from Maryland. The two families became united by the marriage of Mr. Wm. H. Butts and Miss Frances A. Lillard in March, 1829.
After eight years sojourn in Kentucky, Mr. and Mrs. Butts came to Missouri in 1837, and located first in Ray County. Two years after they removed to Caldwell County. Here the subject of this sketch was born, February 2, 1844. In the spring following his birth, the family moved to Andrew County and settled on a farm near Filmore.
Here “C. L.,” as he was familiarly called in after years, grew up to manhood. His parents were both Baptists, and had brought their membership with them from Kentucky, and had united with a Baptist Church some five miles distant. Religious opportunities, however, except in the home, were not very good. Preaching services were held only “once a month.” There were no Sabbath Schools and no prayer meetings, except at the family altar. The social amusement of the community was the dance, of which young Butts was very fond. Under such influences it was not to be wondered that he led a kind of dual life, influenced in part by parental control and in part by the social influences surrounding him.
His opportunities, in this early period of his life, for an education were limited. He had only the common school of that day, which last but a few months in the year, and was not of a very high order as an educational institution. Yet, under the control of his parents, and using judiciously such opportunities as they could afford and he could obtain, he received a fair English education, sufficient to enable him to teach at the early age of seventeen, having taught in Holt, the adjoining county, in the spring and summer of 1861.
Elder Isaiah T. Williams, brother of the noted and devoted Dr. A. P. Williams, was the Baptist preacher in the community where young Butts lived, and was pastor of a Baptist church at Nicholl’s Grove, Holt County. In the winter of 1860 a protracted meeting was held with this church by the pastor, and many precious souls were converted. Among the number was “C. L.,” after a severe conflict between his innate love of worldly pleasures and the influence of the Holy Spirit, in which the latter was victorious. He immediately made a public profession of faith in Christ, was baptized, and united with the church at that place.
The Civil War coming on, he, with his brothers, enlisted in the Confederate service for three months; was in the battle of “Blue Mills”; also at Lexington when Col. Mulligan surrendered to General Price. His term of service having expired, he returned home; but, owing to the “troubles” in the community, in 1862 he left Missouri and went to Kentucky. Here he remained, teaching, principally, until the close of the war. During these years not much progress was made in the religious life or in religious work.
At the close of the war he returned to Missouri, and proceeded on to Sidney, in Southwestern Iowa, where his parents were living, and engaged in business. Here he entered into partnership with his father, in which he continued for a year or more. During the time he became, by relation, a member of the Baptist Church at this place. He immediately took an active part in church work, especially in the Sunday School. In 1866 he is again in the school room teaching. This year also, in March, he was united in marriage to Miss Wayne Dennis of Sidney, Iowa, a most estimable young lady, who proved a true and faithful companion and a helpmeet in reality.
Even while in Kentucky, young Butts had premonitions of a call to preach the Gospel. But by reason of his environments there, he easily resisted these convictions. When, however, he returned to Iowa, and came under the influence of such men as his father, I. T. Williams, B. T. F. Lake and I. Seay, these convictions returned. Accordingly, without his knowledge or assent, the church at Sidney, Iowa, licensed him, at its regular meeting in November, 1866, to exercise his gifts among them and elsewhere as the spirit should direct. Feeling the necessity of a better education for the work to which he believed God had called him, the next year he settled all his temporal business in Iowa, and in September, 1867, entered Georgetown College, Kentucky. He remained here one year. The next year, 1868, he entered William Jewell College, Liberty, Missouri. Here also he continued one year. Returning he located in Hamburg, Iowa, and in September, 1869, established a private graded school there. This he continued successfully for two years, preaching at various places in Southwest Iowa and Northwest Missouri.
In January, 1870, the church at Hamburg set him apart by ordination to the work of the Gospel ministry, elders M. F. and I. T. Williams favoring the council.
He closed his school at Hamburg in 1871, and henceforth until his death devoted himself to preaching the Gospel, sometimes as an evangelist and sometimes as a pastor, in both of which he was eminently successful. His field of labor was principally Southwest Iowa and Northwest Missouri. In both of these territories Elder Butts’ name is a household word. He was pastor at Pleasant Grove, McKissicks Grove, Shiloh, Lacy Grove, and other places in Iowa, and at Rock Port, Walkups’ Grove, New Liberty and other places in Northwest Missouri. He held protracted meetings with all these churches while pastor. But his labors were not confined to these. Wherever there was destitution he would find time from his pastorates to preach the “unsearchable riches of Christ.” In this way he was successful in establishing a number of churches, both in Iowa and in Missouri.
In his work as a pastor his object was to build up the church, to strengthen it and to make it efficient in the work of the Lord. In protracted meetings, his object was to win souls to Christ, and his preaching was adapted to this end. Every sermon carried with it prominently the two great fundamental ideas of the Gospel, man a sinner and Christ a Savior. His themes were: Salvation by grace; justification by faith; regeneration; repentance; faith; obedience to the requirements of God.
Elder Butts died at Cameron, Missouri, August 4, 1889 and his remains were laid to rest in the cemetery at Liberty, Missouri. His wife, Mrs. Wayne Butts, died at Craig, Missouri, and at her request was buried by the side of her husband in Liberty.
To Elder and Mrs. Butts four children were born, two daughters and two sons. The eldest, a daughter, Mrs. Ada Butts Smith, was born June 29, 1867, and is now a resident of Craig, Missouri. The second, a daughter, Mrs. Mollie B. Rippe, was born June 25, 1870; died at Craig, Missouri, February 1, 1898, and was buried in the New Liberty Cemetery, five miles east of Craig. The third, a son, William, was born June 10, 1875; and the last, a son, Neal, was born June 13, 1879; both of whom are now residents of St. Louis, Missouri.
(Source: Missouri Baptist Biography A Series of Life-Sketches Indicating the Growth and Prosperity of the Baptist Churches As Represented in the Lives and Labors of Eminent Men and Women in Missouri Prepared at the Request of the Missouri Baptist Historical Society by J. C. Maple A.M., D.D. and R. P. Rider, A.M. Volume III; Published for The Missouri Baptist Historical Society, Liberty, Missouri by Schooley Stationery and Printing Co, Kansas City, Missouri (1918) transcribed by Mary Saggio)
William Wayne Butts
William Wayne Butts, real estate broker; born, Hamburg, Fremont Co., Ia., June 10, 1875; son of Christopher Lillard and Wayne A. (Dennis) Butts; educated in private schools, Cameron, Mo.; married, St. Louis, Oct. 15, 1903, Susan A. Parker; two children: Katharine L., Francis W. Began business career at St. Joseph, Mo., with C. D. Smith Drug Co., continuing until 1899; engaged in wholesale drug business, Denver, as member firm of Bridaham-Querean Drug Co., 1899-1902; manager Philadelphia branch of National Gum & Mica Co., of New York, 1902-03; Omaha representative H. K. Mulford Co., of Philadelphia, 1903-07; then with brother Cornelius organized Butts Realty Co., St. Louis. Member St. Louis Real Estate Exchange, Business Men's League. Republican. Congregationalism Club: Normandie Golf. Recreation: golf. Office: 118 N. 7th St. Residence: 5907 Washington Boulevard.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)
Edwin S. Drury
The founder, editor and one of the proprietors of the Grand Encampment Herald, one of the leading newspapers of southern Wyoming, Edwin S. Drury, is a native of Tabor, Fremont county, Iowa. He was born on February 23, 1872, the son of C. J. and Mary (Dunham) Drury, both natives of Michigan. His paternal grandfather, Charles Drury, was a native of the state of New York, removing from that state many years ago to Michigan, where he was one of the earliest pioneers, and long engaged in agricultural pursuits. The maternal grandfather of Mr. Drury was also born in New York and removed from that state to Michigan, where he spent the latter days of his life, being a prominent minister of the Baptist faith. The father of our subject in 1861 answered to the call of President Lincoln for troops to defend the integrity of the Union, and enlisted as a member of the Seventeenth Michigan Regiment and was in service for some time, but was compelled to retire from active service on account of illness for a considerable time. Upon his recovery he again enlisted and continued in the military service up to the close of the Civil War. Upon being mustered out of the army he determined to seek his fortune in the far West, and removed his residence to California, where he remained for about three years, engaged in prosperous farming, stock raising and mining. He then returned to Michigan and later removed his home to Iowa. During his residence in Michigan he ably served the people of his county in the office of sheriff, discharging the responsible duties of that position with credit to himself and to the satisfaction of his constituents. He was for many years one of the representative men of the section of the state where he maintained his home.
Edwin S. Drury was the first son of a family of six children, and grew to man's estate in Michigan, receiving his elementary education in the public schools of Cass County. He early learned the printers' trade and at the age of eighteen years went into business for himself at Lawton, Mich., where he began the publication of the newspaper known as The Lawton Leader. In this enterprise he met with success, due to the energy and industry with which he conducted the business. Subsequently he successfully passed the civil service examination for employment in the service of the United States government and was assigned to the Bureau of Printing at Washington, D. C, where he remained but a few months owing to the failure of his health through malaria, and he resigned his position and removed to Wyoming, where he selected the new town of Encampment as a desirable location for a newspaper. This was in the fall of 1897, when there were but three buildings in the place, but he was satisfied with its prospects, and returning to Michigan he closed up his business interests in that state and in the spring of 1898 made his home at Encampment, where he associated himself in business with his brother, W. C. Drury, and they began the publication of the Grand Encampment Herald. They have been very successful, and are now the owners of one of the best equipped printing plants in Wyoming, and their publication is recognized as the leading newspaper of that section of the state.
On November 29, 1893, Mr. Drury was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth Root, a native of Michigan, and the daughter of D. T. Root, a highly respected citizen and horticulturist of that state.
Fraternally Mr. Drury is affiliated with the Freemasons and also with the Modern Woodmen of America, and takes an active interest in the social and fraternal life of the community. Politically he is a stanch member of the Republican party, recognized as one of the trusted local leaders of that political organization. In 1898 he received the appointment of postmaster of Encampment, and upon the expiration of his term of office was reappointed for another term of four years. His administration has given satisfaction to the business men of the community, as well as to the public generally. Mr. Drury is largely interested in mining enterprises in and about Encampment, was the organizer of the Coldwater Copper Mining Co., which is the owner of the six valuable Wolverine claims located at Pearl, Colo., which promise to develop into one of the great mines of that state. He is the vice-president and manager of this company, and has successfully conducted its operations, and he also holds the same position in the Kalamazoo Mining Co., which owns property adjoining that of the Coldwater Co. As a newspaper man and editor, Mr. Drury enjoys a well-merited reputation, and his publishing establishment is supplied with, all modern improvements and appliances for the publication of a live and up-to-date newspaper. Progressive, enterprising and ever foremost in the advocacy of all measures calculated to be of advantage to the general public, he is a powerful factor in the development of this section of his adopted state. He has done much, both personally and through the Herald, to attract the attention of outside capital to the great resources of Carbon county, and to bring about the further settlement of the country in the vicinity of the city of his residence. He is one of the rising men of Wyoming, and destined to take a prominent place in its future history.
[Source: "Progressive Men of the State of Wyoming", 1901 - Submitted by Janice Rice]
John B. Mann
John B. Mann, of Grand Junction, the efficient and accommodating clerk of Mesa county, came into being in the midst of our Civil war, having been born in 1863, in Fremont county, Iowa, the son of Archibald and Drucilla Ann (Williamson) Mann, natives of Virginia. The father while yet in his childhood moved with his parents to Indiana where he was reared and educated, attending the public schools and also the college of Greencastle. He remained at home, occupied in the work on the paternal farm until 1859, when he located a place of his own in Iowa, and there by industry and thrift he prospered and reared a family of children numbering nine, seven of whom are living. He was endowed by nature with force of character and self-reliance, and with a commendable independence of thought and action; and these qualities have made him successful in life's battle and given him prominence and influence among the people of his community where he is generally respected after a long life of usefulness. He is still a resident of Iowa and retired from active pursuits, having reached the age of seventy-six. His wife is also living, at the age of seventy-two. Her birth-place was the historic old town of Lynchburg, Virginia, where her family have been people of consequence from colonial days. Her parents were Henry and Drucilla (Best) Williamson, and they emigrated from their native state to Missouri and later to Iowa where they died at venerable ages. John B. Mann is the fifth child of his parents and passed his boyhood and youth and received his education in Iowa, being graduated from the Indianola Commercial College in that state in 1886. In the spring of 1887 he came to Colorado, and after living a few months at Salida, removed to Grand Junction and accepted employment as a clerk and salesman in the grocery store of his brother, A. G. Mann. Being a young man of energy and ambition, he found a fruitful field for his for his capacities in politics, and became an ardent worker in the Republican ranks, in which his services have been so effective and so highly appreciated that in 1902 he was nominated as the candidate of his party for the office of county clerk, and he was elected by a good majority at the ensuing election. Since taking charge of the office he has been performing its important duties with assiduity and skill, giving its patrons general satisfaction by his promptness, ability and courtesy, and looking well to the interests of the county. He was not, however, without experience in public office, having served as deputy assessor under G. W. Caldwell in 1896 and 1897. In fraternal relations he was active in the Masonic fraternity, in lodge and chapter, in the Odd Fellows and the Woodmen of the World. In 1898 he was married to Miss Sarah D. McCarry, a native of Virginia and daughter of C. P. and Mary (Wiggan) MCarry, of Denver. Mr. Mann is a young gentleman of unusual promise and ability, and with his enterprise and zeal and the popular qualities which he possesses in large measure, he would seem to have a future of prominence and influence in the rising section of the country in which he has cast his lot. He enjoys the confidence and esteem of the people on every hand, and is well worth of their highest regard.
[Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Nancy Overlander]
Marques L. Smith
This representative agriculturist dwells seven miles northeast from Garfield and owns one hundred and sixty acres of land well improved. He raises a diversity of crops and fruits and also cattle and horses. Mr. Smith was born m Marion county. Indiana, near Indianapolis, on September 8, 1839, the son of Simeon and Hannah (McCoy) Smith. The father was a blacksmith, born in Lincoln county, Kentucky, on March 6, 1810, and died in March, 1876. The grandfather, Hezekiah Smith, fought under George Washington, for six years in the Revolutionary war. The great-grandfather, Hezekiah Smith, was murdered by the Tories and Indians while his son, Hezekiah, was fighting for the independence of the colonies.
Our subject learned the blacksmith trade and worked with his father and attended subscription school. He remained at home until twenty-two years of age. The father went to Fremont county, Iowa, in 1857 and opened up a blacksmith shop and there wrought until his death. When the war broke out Marques L. enlisted in Company A, Fourth Iowa, and served two years. Following this he returned to his old home and farmed there until February, 1877, when he removed to Yolo county, California, and there engaged in blacksmithing until 1880. Then he came to Latah county, having explored it in 1877, visiting in the fort at Moscow and Palouse during the Indian outbreak. He took a farm in Whitman county, just across the line from his present farm. Later he bought his present place and has resided there since that time.
On December 23, 1860, Mr. Smith married Miss Sarah J. daughter of McCoy and Sarah (Jones) Malcom, and to them have been born eight children, as follows: Charles S., in Latah county; Carleton R., in Latah county; Thomas, in Whitman county, Washington; Peter, at home; Harrison, deceased; Elberta, wife of J. T. Green, in Farmington; Louisa M., wife of Joseph Martin, in Latah county; Clara, wife of L. E. Harrington, in Nez Perces county. Mr. Malcom was born in Wayne county, Indiana, in 1818 and his wife was born in Clinton county, Ohio, in 1819. Mrs. Smith was born in Delaware county, Indiana, on February 1, 1842, and her brothers and sisters are as follows: James, deceased, and the others are all in Iowa, John, Isaac, Albert and George. Mr. Smith had one brother, Andrew, deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Smith are members of the United Brethren church at Cedar creek.
Mr. Smith was nominated by the Populist party for state senator and came within nine votes of being elected. He and his wife were delegates to the national Populist convention in Omaha. In 1898 Mr. Smith was elected for county commissioner on the Populist ticket and discharged his duties with credit to himself and benefit to the county. He is always active in politics and is ever laboring for the progress of the county.
[An Illustrated History Of North Idaho Embracing Nez Perces, Idaho, Latah, Kootenai, Shoshone Counties, State Of Idaho, Western Historical Publishing Company, 1903, submitted by Barb Z.]
Mrs. T. D. Stockman
Mrs. Nannie Torrence Stockman was born April 25, 1859, at Fremont, Iowa. Her parents, William Morrow Torrence and Jane Livingstone Cummins, came from Pittsburg, Penn., to Iowa in the territorial days. They were both of Scotch-Irish ancestry, the grand parents of both fought in the Revolution. Her father was killed in the battle of Shiloh, April 6, 1862.
For ten years she was a successful teacher, and from 1886 to 1890, was superintendent of the schools of Keokuk county, and editor of “The Keokuk County Teacher.” She was a member of the Educational Council, composed of the foremost school men and women of the state. Was a member of the State Reading Circle Board and secretary of the County Superintendent’s Section of the State Teachers’ Association.
March 12, she was married to David Theodore Stockman, a prominent and successful attorney of Sigourney. They have four children: Donald Theodore, who is in the U. S. Navy, stationed at San Francisco; Helen Louise and Edith Margaret, students at the State University of Iowa, members of Kappa Kappa Gamma and P. E. O., and William Laurence, in the high school. Mrs. Stockman was elected president of the Supreme Chapter of P. E. O. in 1890. She established the first state grand chapter, that of Nebraska, in April, 1891. She served on the committee which established the P. E. O. Record; she wrote the prayer which is used in the opening of P. E. O. meetings everywhere. To her is due in a large measure the establishment of the free public library in Sigourney, of whose board of trustees she is a member. She is a D. A. R., and is a devoted church woman, being a Presbyterian. She was one of the organizers of the Sigourney Woman’s Club.
[The Blue book of Iowa Women, by Winona Evans Reeves, Publ. 1914, Trans. by Sally Masteller]
James R. Strong
James R. Strong is at present holding the responsible position of probate judge of Latah county, where he discharges with efficiency and faithfulness the duties that devolve upon him. He was born in Sullivan. Ashland county, Ohio, on September 24, 1849, being the son of Oren R. and Amanda (Gibbs) Strong, natives respectively of New York and Illinois. The father farmed in Ohio, Illinois, and Kansas, then served three and one half years in the Fourth Missouri Cavalry, Union army, for his country, after which he retired to farm life in Missouri. Atchison county, that state was the scene of his endeavors as a farmer and dairyman until 1876, when he removed to Kansas, and in 1892, came to Idaho, settling in Latah county, but now has retired from active life and lives at Garfield, Washington.
The subject of this sketch remained with his father until twenty-one years had rolled by, then engaged in farming for himself in Fremont county, Iowa. In 1876 he sold out there and went to Illinois, being married in that state, then repaired to Riley county, Kansas, where his father dwelt. Eight years were spent there as salesman in a general merchandise establishment, and in 1890, we find him journeying to Idaho. He settled in the northern part of Latah county where he has a good farm at the present time. He taught school for some time and then entered the lumber business, being eight years thus occupied. Then he was called by the voice of the people to the office of probate judge of the county, where he is now filling his second term with acceptability. His residence is in the city of Moscow.
On December 15, 1876, Mr. Strong married Miss Mary M. Putman, a native of Illinois, the nuptials occurring in Canton, Fuller county. The fruit of this happy union is as follows: Alvah, Eunice, Ettie, Alice. Mrs. Strong's parents were George C. and Charlotte ( Crosthwaite) Putman, farmers of Illinois. Mr. Strong is a member of the I. O. O. F. Mrs. Strong is affiliated with the Methodist church.
[An Illustrated History Of North Idaho Embracing Nez Perces, Idaho, Latah, Kootenai, Shoshone Counties, State Of Idaho, Western Historical Publishing Company, 1903, submitted by Barb Z.]
Copyright © Genealogy Trails