Grundy County, Iowa
Habbe S. Boomgaarden
Representative from Lyon county, was born in the village of Grothussen, East Friesland, Germany, November 30, 1854, where he received two years of his education in the schools of his nativity. Came to the United States in 1862 with his parents, and located in Freeport, Illinois, where he attended the local school near Freeport for four years. In the spring of 1866 moved with his parents to Grundy county, Iowa, where he completed his school attendance. In 1872 embarked in an agricultural career for himself. Was married to Miss Trinky Schlutter in 1876, and has eight children, five boys and three girls. In 1887 purchased a farm about three miles west of Rock Rapids, upon which he moved with his family in 1890, and upon which, with adjacent land, he subsequently acquired, he now resides. Has devoted most of his time to farming and the raising, feeding and shipping of cattle and sheep. Is a stockholder in one of the local banks and is also interested in the Farmer's Elevator Company at Rock Rapids, and the Lyon County Fair Association. Has occupied a place on his local school board for many years. Elected Representative in 1908. A Republican in politics.
[Official Register of Iowa, 1909, submitted by cd=fofg]
William F. Carson.
A prominent and successful representative of real estate and loan business in western Oklahoma is Mr. Carson, who maintains his residence at Beaver, judicial center of the county of the same name, where he is in charge of the office and business of the Renfrew Investment Company, the headquarters of which are in the City of Woodward. On other pages of this work is given a review of the career of the president of this important company, Rufus O. Renfrew, and to that article reference may be made for further information concerning the company and its extensive operations.
William Frank Carson, who has been a resident of Oklahoma since 1900, was born on his father's farm in Champaign County, Illinois, on the 23d of June, 1874, and is a son of William G. and Martha Jane (Bales) Carson. His father was born in Vermilion County, Indiana, in which state he was reared and educated and when, in 1855, he removed to Illinois and became one of the pioneer settlers of Champaign County, where he settled on a preemption claim which he obtained from the Government. His entire active career, marked by consecutive industry and unpretentious worth of character, was one of close identification with the great and fundamental industry of agriculture, and through his well-directed endeavors he achieved independence and definite prosperity. He was a staunch democrat of the old school and though he was ever loyal and public-spirited as a citizen he never desired or held political office. Both he and his wife early became zealous members of the Universalist Church, and he exemplified his faith in his daily life, his death having occurred in the City of Champaign, Illinois, on the 10th of November, 1906, after he had been a resident of Champaign County for a full half century.
On the 22d of February, 1854, was solemnized the marriage of William G. Carson to Miss Martha Jane Bales, who likewise was born in Vermilion County, Indiana, the date of her nativity having been August 27, 1834, his birth having occurred in that county on the 29th of June, 1829,-dates that clearly denote that the respective families were founded in that section of the Hoosier State in the early pioneer days. Mrs. Carson, who still retains her home at Champaign, Illinois, is a daughter of Caleb and Emily (Spangler) Bales, natives of Virginia, and of her ten children-two sons and eight daughters-four daughters died in infancy,-Maria, Ella, Elizabeth and Laura. Emily Josephine, who was born December 20, 1858, became, in 1881, the wife of Eugene A. Ford, and they have four children,-Amos Carson, William Van Pelt, Martha Belle, and Eugene Bartholomew. Caleb W., who was born December 10, 1860, was reared and educated in Champaign County, Illinois, and in his native state he continued his residence until July 5, 1885, when he removed to Ashland, Kansas, where he accumulated a very large estate and where he was the largest individual taxpayer in Clark County at the time of his death, which occurred August 13, 1915. He served eight years as postmaster at Ashland, during both administrations of President Cleveland, and was a leader in the ranks of the democratic party in that section of the Sunflower State. He attained to the thirty-second degree in the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite.of the Masonic fraternity, besides being affiliated with the. Mystic Shrine. In March, 1886, he wedded Miss Martha Congeleton, who survives him, as do also their four sons and one daughter,-Paul C., William G., Frank Lee, Caleb W., Jr., and Hazel Ellene. Ellen A. Carson was born August 11, 1864, was united in marriage on the 27th of February, 1890, to Hon. John I. Lee. Their only child, Irving Allen, died in infancy. Mr. Lee, who died at Cordell, Washita County, Oklahoma, on the 25th of December, 1914, was editor and publisher of the Clark County Clipper, at Ashland, Kansas, from 1885 to 1890, and thereafter served until 1892 as clerk of the District Court of that county. From 1894 to 1898 he was register of the United States Land Office at Dodge City, Kansas, and in 1901 he came to Oklahoma Territory and engaged in the lumber and coal business at Cordell, where he passed the residue of his life. He was influential in democratic political activities in Kansas and likewise after his removal to Oklahoma. Mary Marc Carson was born August 9, 1867, and on the 20th of August, 1886, she became the wife of Dr. David P. Sims, their only child being a son, Carson, and the family home being maintained at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Miss Luvilla B. Carson, who was born January 22, 1870, remains with her widowed mother.
William Frank Carson, the second son and youngest child in the above mentioned family, passed the period of his childhood and early youth upon the homestead farm which was the place of his birth, and after duly availing himself of the advantages of the public schools of Champaign County, Illinois, he pursued a higher course in what is now the great Valparaiso University, at Valparaiso, Indiana. He continued to be associated with the work and the management of his father's farm until 1899, when he removed to Ashland, Kansas, where he served as deputy clerk of Clark County. In that city he was thereafter associated with his only brother in the mercantile business for a period of two years, and upon coming to Oklahoma, in 1900, he established his home at Curtis, Woodward County, where he continued in the same line of enterprise four years. He had entered claim to a tract of Government land in that county and in 1904 he perfected his title to the property. In 1910-11 Mr. Carson held a clerical position in a mercantile establishment in the City of Woodward, and in 1912 he there assumed the position of bookkeeper in the head office of the Renfrew investment Company. In October of the same year he was assigned to the management of the company's office at Beaver, where he has since continued the alert and efficient incumbent of this position, in which he has done much to extend the business controlled from this office.
Mr. Carson is found aligned as a staunch supporter of the cause of the democratic party, is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity, and both he and his wife are specially zealous and valued members of the Presbyterian Church at Beaver, in the Sunday School of which he has served three years as superintendent. It is worthy of incidental note that this is the oldest exclusively Presbyterian Church in the state, its organization having been effected in 1886, when Beaver County was still a part of the region commonly designated as No Man's Land,-prior to the creation of Oklahoma Territory. Mr. Carson is secretary of the Beaver Gospel Team, and also secretary of the Beaver County Sunday School Association.
At Reinbeek, Grundy County, Iowa, on the 14th of April, 1901, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Carson to Miss Grace B. Klein, daughter of Herman E. and Katherine (Kline) Klein, both natives of Iowa, where their respective parents settled in the early pioneer days. Mrs. Carson was born on her father's homestead farm in Grundy County, Iowa, on the 4th of September, 1876, and in her youth she received excellent educational advantages, through the medium of which she prepared herself for service in the pedagogic profession. For eight years prior to her marriage she was a successful and popular teacher in the schools of her native state and in Kansas. Mr. and Mrs. Carson have five children, whose names and respective dates of birth are here noted: Francis Klein, March 26, 1902; Ellen Belva, June 1, 1905; Ernest Lee, September 1, 1906; Willis Spangler, July 26, 1910; and Luvilla Grace, July 22, 1912.
[A Standard History of Oklahoma” Volume V; by Joseph B. Thoburn; copyright 1916; Transcribed by Andaleen Whitney]
Joseph A. Elliott
Joseph A. Elliott, civil and irrigation engineer; supt. And manager the Wheatland office of The Wyoming Development Co.; (Prog.); b. Sept. 27, 1886, Grundy Center, Iowa; s. of George B. and Susan (Wheeden) Elliott; educ. pub. and grad. H. S. Grundy Center, 1903; grad (A. B. and C. E.) Cornell college, Mt. Vernon, Iowa, 1908; located in Cheyenne, Wyoming, 1908, and practiced civil engineering, 1908-9; removed to Wheatland, Wyo., 1909, as assistant engineer The Wyoming Development Co.; promoted to chief engineer, 1911; supt. (19120 and manager (since 1913) of the Wheatland office; elected 1912, as the first county surveyor of Platte county (organized 1913), Wyoming, for term 1913-15; mem. 32 deg. Mason. Address: Wheatland, Wyoming.
[Source: Men of Wyoming, By C. S. Peterson, Publ 1915. Transcribed by Anna Parks]
Ben L. Heikens
Heikens, Ben L., farmer; born Wellsburg, Ia., Nov. 19, 1870; German descent; son of I.H. and A. Afka (Jaspers) Heikens; father's occupation farmer; educated Winchester Normal and Terrill College, graduated from latter in June, 1891; in early life was a miller; married Luella Armstrong July 24, 1894; Democrat; Magistrate; member of County Board of Education; interested in sand and gravel business; member of Methodist Church, South.
[Who's Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.