Jackson County, Iowa News Articles
- - 1843 - - GREAT PIGEON ROOST. - There is an immense pigeon roost in the forks of the Maquoketa, in Jackson county, such as has never been seen in this country before. It is three miles long, and half a mile in width. There can be no estimate made of their numbers. Their roosting places are about a mile distant from their nests and feeding places, being three in number, and each one covering a section of land; and, in passing to and fro, they darken the air with their number, break down young trees with their weight, and hundreds are killed by getting entangled in the falling limbs and branches. The people kill them with clubs, and their noise is so loud that when a gun is fired amongst them the report cannot be heard, and a person can stand in one place and shoot all day the birds returning as soon as you can load. They are building their nests, and the people are alarmed lest they may destroy their crops.— Dubuque Miner's Express.
[Washington Globe, Washington D. C., May 17, 1843, submitted by Mary Kay Krogman]
- - 1858 - - GOLD IN JACKSON COUNTY
The Maquoketa Sentinel announced the discovery of gold in the vicinity of Maquoketa, and says "strange as it may sound it is no humbug!" Large numbrs of citizens of Maquoketa have gone prospecting.
- - 1878 - - MAQUOKETA FARMERS
The farmers Near Maquoketa, Iowa are doing a profitable business in raising roots and herbs containing medicinal properties and shipping them to manufacturers of drugs.
[Dodge City Times, Dodge City, Kansas, January 12, 1878, submitted by Mary Kay Krogman]
- - 1884 - - SPIRITUALIST SOCIETY
The Spiritualist Society of Maquoketa met in its room last Thursday night, and by an almost unanimous vote changed its name. It now goes by the name of the “Church of the New Era.” In this change it does not go back on spiritualism, nor is it any less a spiritual society now than it was before. One of the reasons given for making the change was that there are many progressive people who would like to associate with them who were not fully convinced of spiritualism. They thought it not just the thing to hold on to a name that would exclude these honest people. Again it was urged that all organizations, the object of which is to discuss theological and spiritual problems are known as churches, that the word church would enable people to at once class them as a religious body. A committee was chosen to draw up the necessary papers and procure an act of incorporation-Record.
(Jackson Sentinel, Maquoketa, Iowa, May 15, 1884), Submitted by Kenneth E. Wright.
- - 1909 - - ANSEL BRIGGS MEMORIAL DEDICATED
Andrew, Iowa, Sept. 23, 1909
The town of Andrew, the peace of which has never been disturbed by the whistle of a locomotive, and where the monument erected to the memory of Ansel Briggs, the first governor of the state, was unveiled Wednesday, is a place of 300 inhabitants, quaint and interesting, but it played a large part in the early history of eastern, Iowa. Governor Carroll was the chief figure present.
Five thousand persons thronged the cemetery, the largest crowd probably gathered at Andrew. Second in importance from the standpoint of state interest was the presence of Ex-Governor Larrabee, who addressed the audience twenty minutes.
A memorial address reviewing the struggles and accomplishments of the life of Ansel Briggs delivered by W. G. Gregory, curator of the Jackson County Historical Society, Maquoketa. He revealed the efforts made to get appropriations through the legislature which finally culminated in securing one thousand dollars at the last session through the labors of Representative Ellis of Jackson County. This with three hundred dollars added by the society sufficed to move the body of the former governor from Omaha to Andrew and defrayed the expenses of erecting a monument.
As the band played patriotic airs and salutes were fired by the Maquoketa militia, Mrs. Nannie Briggs Robertson, granddaughter of the departed governor drew away the flag that veiled the monument. Governor Carroll then introduced and delivered the dedicatory address. After reviewing the school system inaugurated by Briggs he declared no official act of his own was he more heartily in on than in signing the bill for an appropriation for money for the Briggs monument. He wondered how such a memorial was possible at the price paid. He referred to wonderful growth in population, transportation facilities, educationally and commercially of the state since 1846 and declared Briggs laid the foundation for such growth. He urged the development in Iowa history through instruction of a hall of fame such as is placed in Washington and declared he would be glad to sign another bill of equal import to the Briggs appropriation measure.
Ansel Briggs was governor from 1846 to 1850. He was born in Vermont, but during his youth removed with his parents to Ohio and in that state became interested in the institution of stage lines and removing in 1836 to Jackson County, Iowa, followed the same vocation, holding numerous contracts for carrying United States mails in this section of the new territory. He was elected to the House of Representatives in the Territory in 1842, and on the admission of Iowa to the sisterhood of states was nominated to the governorship, the election being held in October. He took his seat Dec. 3 Governor Briggs continued his residence in Andrew until 1870, when he removed to Council Bluffs. In 1881, while making his home with his son in Omaha, he passed away.
(Waterloo Reporter, Waterloo, Iowa, September 23, 1909) Submitted by Kenneth E. Wright
- - 1920 - - FIRST WOMEN DRAWN FOR JURY DUTY
First Drawing Since Women Suffrage
Mrs. A. H. Moravec & Mrs. Edith Francois
The new order of things is getting started over at the court house and women voters are being drawn for the jury service, along with the men. The names of the voters of Jackson County were placed in the box for drawing last month and this means the names of the men and women alike. Saturday, those in authority made the drawing and the result was that two ladies were drawn on the petit jury, but none succeeded in alighting on the grand jury.
The two ladies who were fortunate-or rather unfortunate-enough to be drawn for jury service are Mrs. A. H. Moravec of Fulton and Mrs. Edith Francois of this city. This is going to revolutionize to a certain degree the jury work, and we’re guessing the ladies will be a splendid addition to capabilities shown in deciding on cases coming before them.
[Maquoketa Excelsior-Record, Published December 14, 1920, submitted by Kenneth Wright]
- - 1931 - - RUN ON LA MOTTE BANK
RUMOR CAUSED RUN
LA MOTTE, Ia., Jan 8 (A.P.) – The cry of “Bank’s Closed,” rang over La Motte. The closed bank, however, was in Lamont – but the damage was done. Depositors staged a run on the Iowa Savings bank here and the doors were closed. Officials said the bank was in excellent condition and the closing was for protection of depositors.
Copyright © Genealogy Trails