. . . about Monmouth, Iowa
1878 Jackson County, Iowa Gazetteer
1879 Jackson County, Iowa History
From 1878 Jackson County, Iowa Gazetteer
Monmouth, laid out in 1856 by Dr. L. T. Hubbard and W. F. Douglas, lies twelve miles west of Maquoketa on the Iowa, Midland road and embraces some live business men within its radius. It has two churches, the Baptist church built in 1870 and the Methodist in 1873, they also have a fine two story school house erected in 1874.
[Owen's Gazetteer and Directory of Jackson County, Iowa, Owen Publishing Company, Davenport, Iowa, 1878. Submitted by Mary Kay Krogman.]
From 1879 History of Jackson County Iowa
Monmouth was platted by W. F. Douglas June 15, 1855, and was located on the northwest quarter of the northwest quarter of Section 20, in Monmouth
Township. A town to which the name Coloma was given was laid out by Dr. L. T. Hubbard April 29, 1856, on the northeast quarter of the northeast quarter
of Section 19, in Monmouth Township. The town plats were, therefore, adjoining. Common consent has given to the whole the name Monmouth,
after Monmouth Township, which was named by A. W. Pence, County Commissioner at the time of its organization, in honor of his former home in Monmouth, Ill.
At the time of its platting, Monmouth was on the daily coach route between the river and Anamosa. At this time, there was much talk of the Air-Line
Railroad passing through the State, and Monmouth was on the surveyed line of the road. The founders were, therefore, hopeful that they would soon have a
large town, and probably would not have been disappointed if the railroad had been a success. As it was, the place grew very slowly, and was simply a
country village, until it received a new impetus from the building of the Midland Railway, in 1871, on the line of which it is located.
About 1869, the unsold lots of West Monmouth, or Coloma, passed from the hands of Dr. L. T. Hubbard to Mr. Henry Green, who laid out an addition
to the town at the time of the building of the railway. He has about sixty lots yet unsold and unimproved.
A post office was established at Monmouth about the time the town was founded. The Postmasters since the formation of the office, as near as we could
learn, are John Holsaple, W. L. Thomas, James Riland, Henry Green, Dr. Sillis, D. C. Mishler, F. J. Sokol, M. M. Standish and U. Atkinson. Monmouth
enjoys the advantages of a money-order office and a daily mail east and west. It is also the southern terminus of a semi-weekly way-mail route to Dubuque.
MERCANTILE AND PROFESSIONAL
Monmouth has two general stores, Henry Green and H. J. Banghart; drug store, U. Atkinson; hardware and furniture, L. P. Willis; grain, stock and
lumber dealer, Henry Green; hotel, Lake House, by A. B. Lake; physicians, F. A. Packard and H. M. Kennedy. Monmouth is surrounded by a most
excellent country, and enjoys the advantage of being the most eligible tradingpoint for a large district. The retail trade is most excellent. The town is
located on either side of Mill Creek, and is on a low piece of land, for which reason some trouble is experienced as to its streets and cellars. The village,
however, is said to be very healthy.
[The History of Jackson County Iowa, Published November 1879. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman]