. . . about Spragueville, Iowa
1878 Jackson County, Iowa Gazetteer
1879 Jackson County, Iowa History
From 1878 Jackson County, Iowa Gazetteer
A small village situated about three and one-half miles northwest from Preston, was named after a Mr. Sprague, who made a claim here in 1841. In 1856 Tompkins and Alexander erected a large flouring mill; shortly after Mr. T. sold his interest to Mr. A. Riley, who continued its operations for many years in company with Mr. Alexander. The first store was opened by John Brown, who subsequently in 1864 sold out to Mr. Alexander, who continued the business. Most of the advancement in this place is due to the untiring efforts of Mr. Alexander, who laid out the town in lots and erected the first school house in 1867. Mr. Alexander has lately opened up a new stock of goods, which, we understand, he is retailing at remarkably low figures. Mr. A. will please accept our grateful acknowledgments for assistance rendered in arranging matter relative to his township and surrounding country, and we cannot speak in too high terms of this gentleman, whom it is a pleasure to meet and of whom it is said by those who have dealt with him that they have found him strictly honest in business, fair in his dealings, social in his relations, and genial in his disposition.
Another chief interest of this place is the Deep Creek Mills, mentioned above, and which are conducted by Mr. C. H. Riley. The mill cost when erected $14,000, has three run of burrs, and capacity for manufacturing over 46 barrels per day. Mr. Riley has recently made extensive additions at a cost of $3,300, and always having plenty of water has unequalled facilities for manufacturing.
In addition to the above there are three blacksmith shops, a drug store, post office, several saloons, two physicians, hotel, carpenters, shoemakers, etc., etc.
[Owen's Gazetteer and Directory of Jackson County, Iowa, Owen Publishing Company, Davenport, Iowa, 1878. Submitted by Mary Kay Krogman.]
From 1879 History of Jackson County Iowa
Spragueville is a little village on the western border of Van Buren Township, about one half mile south of the Maquoketa River, and a short distance from the mouth of Deep Creek, on which the town is located. The town may be said to be on the edge of the prairie, being bordered by prairie country on the south and adjoining the timber which skirts the Maquoketa on the north.
The village was named after one Sprague, who located at this point in 1841. A mill was built here on Deep Creek in an early day, and known as Sprague's Mill. On the same spot where the pioneer mill stood, Thompkins & Alexander erected a large flouring-mill at a cost of $14,000. Shortly afterward, Thompkins sold out to Charles H. Riley, who subsequently purchased the share of Mr. Alexander and now owns the entire mill. Mr. Riley has of late years expended several thousand dollars in improvements. The mill is now known as Deep Creek Flouring Mills, having three run of stone, and a capacity for grinding forty-six barrels of flour per day. The water supply from Deep Creek is constant.
The town was laid out in 1867 by A. Alexander. It has not had much growth and cannot increase greatly until it has railroad communication. The town contains one general store, kept by A. Alexander, who is also Postmaster at this point. The village has two mails weekly, which are carried from Preston. A drug store is kept by John Miller, and a hotel by Capt. Smith. The other places of business include a saloon, blacksmith and wagon shops.
[The History of Jackson County Iowa, Published November 1879. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman]