Genealogy Trails logo

Monona County Iowa
Biographies

 


J. Q. Adams, proprietor of the Mapleton dray line, was born in Franklin county, Me., in 1837; moved to Iowa in 1854. He moved to Onawa in 1858, and engaged in farming. He engaged in his present business in Mapleton, Jan. 25th, 1881.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


Mrs. E. F. Brockway

A village in one of the garden spots of Iowa bears the name Letts. To many of its residents the name recalls a train of golden memories of the pioneer, Madison Letts, for love of whom the people changed the name of their village from Onanawa to Letts. From the tower of the church where his descendants still worship, a sweet toned bell, the gift of appreciation for the honor bestowed, still calls the people to worship. In 1854 the Letts family journeyed westward from their Illinois home and established here the “Letts Homestead.” Here it was that Rowena B. Letts spent her girlhood days and here in 1860 was married to Edwin F. Brockway of Canesville, a descendant of an honored pioneer family. All the sterling characteristics of the pioneer father and the lovable traits of a refined mother seem to have centered in the personality of Mrs. Brockway. She glorified womanhood in its highest degree and the influence she created in her home, church and society, still lives to honor her memory. Hers was a keen intellect and her father, husband and son, who have aided in shaping Iowa’s laws and destinies found in her a helpful advisor. She was a loyal member of the Daughters of the American Revolution of the Nehemiah Letts chapter. A history of this Revolutionary ancestor was written by her and published in the history of the Iowa D. A. R’s.

The later years of her life were spent at the “Letts Homestead,” where she dispensed hospitality and good cheer until her death in September, 1912. The world was better for having known her.

[The Blue book of Iowa Women, by Winona Evans Reeves, Publ. 1914, Transcribed by Sally Masteller]


G. H. Butler, of the firm of G. H. Butler & Co., furniture dealers, was born in Ind.; moved to Ia. in 1856, and engaged in milling. He moved to Monona county, Ia., in 1865, and engaged in farming, and in 1878, engaged in his present business.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


James Butts, M. D., was born in Genesee county, N. Y., in 1822; remained at home until twenty-one years of age; then began the study of medicine. He moved to Wis. in 1856, and engaged in the practice of medicine; was also postmaster while in that State. He removed to Kans. in 1860, traveled extensively through the west, settled at Onawa in 1866, and has practiced medicine there ever since. He opened a drug store in 1873, and after four years, sold it. He has been twice married; the first time in 1844, and to Lucy L. Crawford, in 1880.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


J. R. Cameron, dealer in general merchandise and grain, is a native of Ohio; came to Ia. in 1852, and engaged in the land business. He came to Monona county in 1878, and engaged in the grain and land business, and, in 1880, added the mercantile business. He was agent for the railroad company for three years.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


Cassady & Whiting, dealers in general merchandise, located in Whiting in June, 1880. Mr. Cassady is a native of 0.; moved to Ia. in 1867, and settled near this place. W. C. Whiting is a native of Monona county, and has always resided in it.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


David Chapman

The venerable gentleman whose name appears at the head of this article is one of the esteemed and substantial citizens of Latah county, having labored here for the general welfare and advancement of the interests of the county, and he is now one of the heavy property owners, and is highly respected by all, since he has displayed commendable enterprise and stanch integrity and sound principles in the affairs of public life and private business.

Mr. Chapman was born in Yorkshire, England, on December 14, 1829, being the son of William and Rachel Chapman. He spent the years of his minority in his native place, then in company with two brothers, at the age of nineteen, came to Ogle county, Illinois, settling in 1850, and engaging in farming. He was occupied there until 1866, then removed to Monona county, Iowa, taking a homestead of eighty acres where his home was until 1882, when he again removed, this time to Woodbury county, taking up carpentering, and in 1884 he came to Idaho, purchasing a farm of one hundred and sixty acres four miles north from Moscow. He also owns a quarter section in the Big Bend country, Washington, and a fine residence in the northwest part of the city, which is the family home. Mr. Chapman recently sold a Latah county farm.

Mr. Chapman was married in January, 1854, in Ogle county, Illinois; the lady then becoming his wife was Miss Lydia A., daughter of John and Theresa Herrington, and a native of Pennsylvania, and they have become the parents of three children, living, Melvin L., Miles W. and Theresa A.; and four who died in infancy.

In 1882, in Woodbury county, Iowa, Mr. Chapman married a second time, Mary Ann Thomas becoming his wife at that time.

In 1861 Mr. Chapman enlisted in Company H, Forty-sixth Illinois Infantry, under Captain John Steven, in the Army of Tennessee. He fought at Fort Donelson, Shiloh, Pittsburg Landing, siege of Corinth, Vicksburg, Atlanta and many other battles and skirmishes, until 1864, and was then honorably discharged, having made a military record of which his family and he may well be proud. And it is to such devoted, brave and intrepid men that we owe the preservation of the Union in those dark days of internal strife.

Mr. Chapman is a man of excellent business ability, stanch character, untarnished reputation, and is a devoted supporter of the faith, being a devout member of the Baptist church. Now, in the golden time of his career, he is retired from the activities of business life, superintends the estates from his Moscow residence and quietly enjoys the fruits of his industry and thrift, being secure in the good will, esteem and confidence of his fellows.

[An Illustrated History Of North Idaho Embracing Nez Perces, Idaho, Latah, Kootenai, Shoshone Counties, State Of Idaho, Western Historical Publishing Company, 1903, submitted by Barb Z.]


J. R. Chapman, dealer in lumber, coal and builders' supplies, is a native of N. Y.; moved to Ohio when young, and to Scott county, Ia., in 1860. He came to Mapleton, in 1877, and engaged in his present business.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


I. Cummings, dealer in groceries and provisions, was born in N. Y. in 1844; removed to Fremont county, Ia., in 1855; thence to Chicago, Ill., in 1871, where he remained five years, and located in Onawa, Ia., in 1877. In 1881, engaged in the present business, by buying out J. R. Thurston.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


John Douglas, jeweler and music dealer, was born in Scotland in 1851; came to America in 1872, and settled in Neb.; moved to Onawa in 1876, and engaged in his present business. He was married in 1876, and has two children—Mary, and an infant daughter.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


W. J. Eva, harness manufacturer, was born in Wis. in 1847; removed to Worthington, Nobles county, Minn., in 1872; thence to Onawa, Ia., in 1876, and engaged in his present business in 1878. He was married in 1875 to Lucy Manning, and has three children.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


J. Garrison, hardware dealer, was born in Ill.; moved to Iowa in 1873, and located in Calhoun county, and engaged in farming. He moved to Dunlap, and engaged in the mercantile business; thence to Mapleton, in the autumn of 1877, and built the first store in the place, and entered the mercantile business.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


Porter Hamilton, of the firm of Hamilton Bros., dealers in farm machinery and lumber, was born in Ill.; moved to Cedar Rapids, Ia., in 1872; thence to Mapleton in the autumn of 1877, and engaged in his present business. During 1881, his sales of farm machinery amounted to $25,000.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


B. D. & Chas. Holbrook, proprietors of the bank at Onawa, came from Pa. to this city in 1857, and engaged in the law, loan and real estate business, until 1865, when they opened the bank. H. E. Morrison is cashier of the bank.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


Samuel Holliday, proprietor of the City billiard hall, was born in Muscatine county, Ia., in 1842, and engaged in farming, until entering his present business in 1880.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


A. G. Hurst, farmer and stock dealer, was born in Ind. in 1832; removed with parents in 1836 to Ill.; thence to Newton, Ia. In 1855, came to Ashton, near Onawa. He enlisted in March, 1862, in Co. K., 17th Ia., and re-enlisted as a veteran in the same company. He was taken prisoner with the rest of the regiment and confined at Andersonville one hundred and eighty-five days; was discharged at Davenport, Ia., June 16th, 1865, and returned to Monona county, and engaged in farming and dealing in stock. He was married in 1859, to Julia Brink, and has ten children.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


W. H. Kelsey, was born in N. Y. in 1841. He enlisted in Co. B, 64th N.Y. Vol., in 1861, was discharged in 1862; re-enlisted in the 13th N. Y. Heavy Art. as a veteran, and was again discharged in 1865. He was one of five brothers, who enlisted; two were killed and the others disabled in the service. He came to Onawa in 1865. He was married in 1877.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


D. B. Kenyon, miller and grain dealer, was born in N. Y. in 1845; removed to Wis. in 1856, and from there to Onawa in 1872, and engaged in his present business. He was married in 1869 to N. F. Freeland. They have one son and two daughters.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


Koon & Dimmick, dealers in general hardware, established business in Dec., 1881. Mr. Koon came to Mills county, Ia., in 1868, from ILL.; thence to Monona county in 1873. Mr. Dimmick is a native of Pa.; moved to Ashton, Ia., in 1856; thence to Whiting in 1881.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


Mrs. Arthur W. Mann

A woman who does her duty every day, as she is given vision to see it, and whose life has always been a sacrifice to others and to the common good, is Mrs. Arthur W. Mann of Onawa. Carrie M. Foote Mann was born Sept. 25, 1865, at Fort Atkinson, Wis. She is the daughter of Elisha Lockwood Henman Foote and Ellen Cordelia Simonds. She is a direct descendant of Daniel Foote who came from England and founded Weathersfield, Conn. Nathaniel Foote founded and named Colchester, Conn. Nathaniel Foote the third was a quartermaster in King Phillip’s War. Her mother is descended from Elizabeth Franklin, a sister of Benjamin Franklin. On Aug. 16, 1892, she was married to Arthur W. Mann and shortly after came to Onawa to live. She is a member of the Christian church and for sixteen years has been president of the Ladies’ Aid Society of the church. For four years she has been chairman of the Eleventh District I. F. W. C. and has served on many state and general federation committees. She belongs to the Art Club and has been its president for two years. She did all the preliminary work for the organization of the P. E. O. chapter and has served as its president since organization in 1912. She was instrumental in organizing the Onawa chapter D. A. R. and has been its regent since organization in 1910. She is secretary of the Improvement League and a member of the Library Board for many years. She has written many articles for newspapers and journals. Has traveled over America, and Europe. She has spoken before many clubs and organizations on The Passion Play and other subjects.

[The Blue book of Iowa Women, by Winona Evans Reeves, Publ. 1914, Transcribed by Dana Kraft]


T. Martin, proprietor of blacksmith and wagon shop, is a native of Ill.; moved to Ia. in 1880, and engaged in his present business.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


M. Morgan, of the firm of Butler & Morgan, grocers, was born in Scott county, Ia., in 1846. He enlisted in May, 1864, in the 44th Ia. regiment, and was discharged in autumn of the same year. He re-enlisted in Jan., 1865, in the 20th, Ia., Co. G; was transferred to the 29th Ia. regiment, and in Sept., 1865, returned to Iowa; and engaged in farming. He located at Mapleton in 18'79, and entered his present business in Jan., 1881.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


C. G. Perkins, postmaster, and dealer in general merchandise, was born in Rockingham county, N. Y., in 1830; removed to Wis. in 1855, and engaged in farming. He enlisted in 1862 in Co. G, 19th Wis., and was discharged in 1865; then came to Onawa, and engaged in farming four years. He was then elected county recorder; resigned in 1872. He was a member of the 14th assembly in 1872-3; engaged in his present business in 1873. He was married in 1853 to R. S. Stearns, and has three children—C. W., Mary W. and Addie M.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


J. D. Rice, attorney at law; is a native of N. Y.; moved to Marshall, Ia., in 1874; thence to Mapleton in 1878, and engaged in the practice of the law. He is a member of the school board.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


W. E. Roberts, agent for the C. & N. W. R. R., is a native of England; came to America when quite young, with parents, and settled in Wis.; moved to Tama county, Ia., in 1863. He afterwards moved to Battle Creek, as agent for the railroad company; thence to Mapleton in Nov., 1880.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


Edwin P. Rounds

Edwin P. Rounds resides about three miles west of Molson (WA), on Tamarack slope. He is an enterprising man who settled here on October 10, 1900, at the time the reservation opened. He has remained here since and has given himself to the good labor of improving his farm and is one of the substantial men of the community. His place is well supplied with water, fences, good outbuildings, and an eight room residence. In addition to this Mr. Rounds owns a good residence in Meyers Falls, Washington, and some other property.

Edwin P. Rounds was born in Monona county, Iowa, on October 3, 1868, the son of Jacob H. and Phoebe (Quigley) Rounds. The father was born in Muskingum county, Ohio, in 1823. Our subject's paternal grandfather owned a vessel which was lost at sea, with the entire crew and cargo. The Rounds family in this country is traced back to two brothers, who landed on Plymouth Rock from the Mayflower, in 1620. The mother of our subject was born in Illinois in 1827, and is now making her home with him. To this worthy couple, nine children have been born, seven of whom are living, as follows, Dennis, Andrew J., Jacob H., John, Mrs. Charity Hutchinson, Mrs. Catherine Dunham, and Edwin P., our subject. The family moved to Osburn county, Kansas, in 1870, then to Sherman county, Nebraska, in 1878, and in 1886, they came to the Colville valley, where the father took a homestead near Meyers Falls.

On July 26, 1892, Mr. Rounds married Miss Elizabeth J., daughter of Thomas and Mary (Morris) Weed, natives of New York. She was born in Lincoln, Nebraska, and came with her parents to the Colville valley in 1888. Her father was a harness maker and farmer, and is now living on the homestead near Meyers Falls, which he took when he came here, being a well-to-do citizen. Mr. and Mrs. Weed have eight children: Charles, James, Harvey, Mrs. Rounds, Cooper, Stephen, Raymond, and Burnette. On account of the poor health of his wife, and also his father, our subject and his wife together with his parents made an extended tour of the southwestern part of the United States, and Old Mexico, by wagon, visiting the most noted places in this section of the country, and continuing on the road for several years. The wife was greatly improved in health but the father died at Adam, California, and was buried there by the Masons. Then they turned homeward, arriving in Meyers Falls in 1897.

As stated above, in 1900, Mr. Rounds took his present place, and has since been known as one of the progressive and good substantial citizens of Okanogan county. Mr. and Mrs. Rounds have adopted one child, Ethel.

[Source: "An illustrated History of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan, and Chelan Counties in the state of Washington" Western Historical Publishing Company, 1904 - Tr. by Helen Coughlin]


D. Rust, M. D., of the firm of Rust & Morley, druggists, was born in Ill.; moved to Fremont county, Ia., in 1876. He established his present business in Whiting in 1879, and in 1880 L. A. Morley became a partner. They do a general drug business, and deal in paints, oils, etc.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


P. Sawyer, proprietor of city blacksmith shop, was born in Oxford county, Me., in 1846. He enlisted in 1862, in Co. D, 28th Me. Vol.; was discharged in 1863, and went to Concord, Mass.; thence to Onawa in 1865. He was married in 1867, to M. T. Cunningham. They have four children—Edwin E., Altha M., Earl, and Margie.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


W. F. Scott, of the firm of Scott Bros., dealers in general merchandise, is a native of W. Va.; moved to Clinton county, Ia., in1864, and to Denison in 1871, and engaged in the mercantile business. He came to Mapleton in 1877, erected a large store building, and engaged in his present business. He was appointed postmaster in Dec., 1881, and is also express agent.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


B. B. Snyder, proprietor of the Stowell House, is a native of Pa.; came to Logan, Ia., in 1876, and engaged in the hotel business. He erected one of the first hotels in Mapleton, and opened his present house in 1881, which is in charge of his son, James S. Snyder.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


John W. Somers, druggist, was born in N. C. in 1834; removed to Champaign county, Ill., in 1843 and was clerk of the courts for several years. He enlisted in 1862 in the 76th Ill. Vol. as a private; was promoted to commissary sergeant, then to first lieutenant, and regimental quarter-master; left the army in 1865, and returned to Ill. He engaged in the drug business in 1867 at Urbana, and in 1879 removed to Onawa, and again engaged in the drug business. He was married in 1858 to Sarah J. Fitzgerald. They have one son and one daughter.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


Richard Stebbins, M. D., and druggist, was born in Springfield, Mass., in 1824. He was educated for a physician; removed to Council Bluffs in 1857, and engaged in the practice of medicine; remained there six months; removed to Onawa, and continued the practice of his profession, and engaged in the drug business in 1864. He was married in 1859 to Mary J. Billings, and has a son and a daughter.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


J. R. Thurston, proprietor of the Onawa House, was born in Herkimer county, N. Y., in 1833; removed to Cass county, Ia., in 1856; thence to Onawa in 1860, and engaged in farming, until 1877, when he engaged in the mercantile business, which he sold in 1881, and engaged in his present business. He was married in 1855, and has five children.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


T. C. Walton, proprietor of the Walton House, was born in Somerset county, Me., in 1829; removed to Wis., in 1854, and remained two years and returned to Me. In 1864 he again removed to Wis., settling in St. Croix county, and engaged in the drug business. In 1869 he came to Onawa, Ia., and in 1871 built the hotel he now occupies. He has been twice married, and has four children—Lona, Ida, Geo. and William.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


Maj. George E. Warner, dealer in general merchandise, was born in Sullivan county, N. H., in 1843. He went to Boston, Mass., at the age of twelve to learn the dry goods business. In 1862 he enlisted in the 6th Mass. battery, and at the end of six months, entered the 10th U. S. colored corps as first lieutenant; was promoted to Major, and discharged in that rank in 1867; came to Onawa, Ia., and engaged in his present business.

He was married in 1868 to Mollie E. Morrison, of Onawa, and has one child, a daughter.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


N. A. Whiting, dealer in general hardware, was born in N. Y., in 1823; lived on a farm until eighteen years of age; then learned carriage making, in which business he was engaged for fifteen years in 0. and Ala. He came to Onawa, Ia., in 1857, and the following year engaged in his present business. He was married in 1853, and has three children—Eva, Charles and Estella. Chas. is engaged in the banking business at Mapleton, Ia.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


Lyman Whittier, the pioneer merchant of Whiting; was born in Essex county, Mass.; came to Ia. in 1870, and located at Missouri Valley and engaged in the mercantile business; removed to Whiting in 1873, and built the first store and started his present business. He enlisted in Oct., 1862, in the 1st battery of Mass. heavy artillery, and served until June 1865. Mr. W. traveled extensively through Europe during the year 1879. He was appointed postmaster of 'Whiting in 1873, and has held the office ever since.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


A. G. Wight, dealer in general merchandise, was born in Ohio; moved to Ia. in 1865, and settled in Monona county in 1867. In 1875 he moved to Whiting and engaged in the hotel and livery business which he still continues, and in 1876 engaged in the mercantile business.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


W. G. Woods, dealer in grain, enlisted in 1864 in Co. E, 48th Wis., and was discharged in 1865. He was married in 1873, to Matilda Barber, and has one son and one daughter—Arthur and Zellie.

(Source: History of Western Iowa, Its Settlement and Growth: A Comprehensive Compilation of Progressive Events Concerning the Counties, Cities, Towns, and Villages--biographical Sketches of the Pioneers and Business Men, with an Authentic History of the State of Iowa, 1882)


 

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.