Welcome to Iowa Genealogy Trails!

Plymouth County, Iowa
 


Businesses


AALFS-BAKER GARMENT FACTORY

GARMENT FACTORY PLANT MANAGER ARRIVES THIS WEEK.

Thomas Kohout of Fort Dodge will be in LeMars Tuesday of this week to make preparations for the opening of the Aalfs-Baker garment plant, of which Mr. Kohout will be the local manager. Mr. Kohout is a married man with a family of nine children; three of whom are in the service. He will move his family to LeMars this fall.

The garment plant will be located on the first floor of the Masonic Temple building. It is expected that about 75 women will be employed as soon as the plant is in full production. July 19th is the date set for the opening.

LeMars is fortunate in having an industry of this kind in the city. Employment will be mainly local women who will have the advantage of living 'at home while working. John Vollmar, president, and Robert Mauer, secretary of the Chamber of Commerce, were instrumental in securing this plant for LeMars. Other local men who were influential in the project are Dr. C. D. Roseberry, and R. L. Clark of the Iowa Public Service Co.
[Le Mars Globe Post - Le Mars, Iowa, July 12, 1943.]


Adamson and Padmore (Painter)

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
Adamson & Padmore established themselves in LeMars in April, 1876 The partners, Daniel Padmore and Charles Adamson, are practical painters, with large experience. Three men are employed during the "busy season," and the work done comprises house, sign and ornamental painting, paper-hanging, etc., and parties engaging these gentlemen are always certain of haying their work done well.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


SIMON ADELSHEIM and JOHN ARENDT

Simon Adelsheim has purchased the millinery store of John Arendt, and the latter is now ready to take his share of the spoils of a democratic success.
[The Evening Sentinel - Le Mars, Iowa, February 26, 1885.]


A. Aldrich & Co.

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
Everybody in this part of Iowa knows of A. Aldrich & Co's store, and if we were preparing this article merely for "home consumption" it would be useless to expatiate upon the firm; but this little historical sketch will be read by many hundreds in the east who are looking out for a live place in which to locate - a place where a living may be secured - and it is for this reason that we make particular mention of each business establishment in our village. A. Aldrich & Co. began operations in LeMars in the spring of 1871, their store being on Main street. Here they continued until September, 1875, when they removed to their present, commodious building, Sixth street, next door to the Plymouth county bank. The stock comprises books, stationery, fancy goods, window curtains and fixtures, musical instruments, sewing machines, and almost everything else that can be mentioned. Mr. Aldrich is our Post master, and has held that position for the past four years, giving satisfaction to our people in every respect. His commission holds until the spring of 1878, we believe, and from present indications he will be re-appointed at that time, without opposition.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


A. Aldrich

COAL.
A. Aldrich & Co. have a coal yard on Sixth street, along the Illinois Central track. Hard and soft coal for sale, at lowest cash prices.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.


J. A. ALEXANDER

J. A. Alexander of LeMars, came over the first of the week and bought up 543 cases of eggs from our merchants, and shipped them to eastern markets.
[The Remsen News, Remsen, Iowa, 1907.]


W. F. Allison

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
On the southeast corner of Main and Sixth streets, stands Allison's drug store, a place as well known as any establishment in the village. Mr. W. F. Allison came from Pennsylvania in December, 1875, purchased the drug store of C. H. Bennett on the first of January, 1876, and since that time has devoted himself to attending the wants of the people. The motto at this store is, "In medicines, quality is of the first importance," and acting upon this, we cannot marvel at the success which has crowned his efforts. Besides drugs and chemicals, there can always be found at Allison's, a fine stock of fancy toilet articles, wall paper, oils, glass, paints, etc. Prescriptions carefully compounded at all hours day and night. The proprietor speaks the German language fluently, and this brings him a large trade from that element.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


A. M. Andrews

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
It is now less than two years since A. M. Andrews started up in this village, but he has gathered up a trade that a twenty-year merchant in the east, would be proud of. Mr. Andrews deals in dry goods, dress goods, notions, ladies' furnishing goods, cloths, cassimeres, boots, shoes, gaiters, and what not. His store, one door above Bennett's hardware stand, is usually pretty well jammed with customers, who always seem to get here just what they want at the most reasonable figures.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


Mrs. Atkinson

MILLINERY.
Mrs. Atkinson & Co. have a millinery and fancy store on the corner of Sixth and Eagle streets. Here the ladies do most delight to congregate, because of the beautiful things always on exhibition. Their stock is of the best kind.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.


ATTORNEYS (1877)

LeMars has eleven lawyers, most of whom are young men who have already distinguished themselves in their profession. There are Clarke & Curtis, Argo & Ball, Struble Brothers, Webb Brothers, R. E. W. Spargur, A. W. Durley, A. H. Lawrence. Parties at a distance, wanting information from this section of the country, will find either of the above named gentlemen or firms willing and ready at all times to forward the desired facts, figures or data.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.


O. W. Bennett

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
Away back in March, 1870, when there were but six business firms in the village of LeMars, O. W. Bennett started up a hardware store in the same place which he occupies to-day, and in the years that have come and gone since that time, Mr. Bennett has been constant, faithful and prompt in the performance of those duties to which every successful business man must attend, and he has, and still is reaping the reward of his labor. Mr. Bennett now carries a large stock of hardware, furniture, stoves, tinware, agricultural tools, nails, and the like; besides dealing in coal. Every branch of the tinning trade, such as roofing and spouting, is promptly attended to; three expert men are busily engaged through the entire season; goods are sold at a reasonable profit, and trade necessarily is good. Bennett makes a specialty of the latest novelties in the line of his business, and it is really surprising to see the accumulation of little things at this monster establishment. To guard against fire, Mr. Bennett has placed in the rear portion of his store a reel on which are one hundred and fifty feet of strong gum hose. The work of unreeling and attaching this to a force pump just back of the store, is but of a few moments, and with a man at the pump a stream can be thrown to any part of the store, interior or exterior. We may add that Mr. Bennett sells the Davenport stone force pump; said to be the best in the market.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


D. H. Bennink (Bakery and Confectionery)

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
D. H. Bennink opened a bakery in Le Mars, in 1872, and has continued it until the present time, having a fair patronage at all times. Mr. B. also runs a restaurant, or eating-house, in connection with his bakery.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


JOHN BENTZ BOUGHT MEAT MARKET

John Bentz bought the meat market of Peter Parsche. John says he will now make the wurst for Owens.
[The Remsen News, Remsen, Iowa, March 28, 1907.]


BARNEY BUNKERS - ORGANIZING A FARMERS ELEVATOR

We are told that Barney Bunkers recently purchased the elevator here which was owned by the Western Elevator Co., and managed by P. H. Peters. We learn that the consideration was $5,500 and that Mrs. Bunker is organizing a farmers elevator company.
[The Remsen News, Remsen, Iowa, April 30, 1907.]

Barney Bunkers called our attention to an error in the news item which we published last week regarding the purchase price of the elevator which he recently bought. It seems that he paid more than the figures we gave and we hasten to make the correction.
[The Remsen News, Remsen, Iowa, April 30, 1907.]


BLACKSMITHS (1877)

LeMars has six blacksmiths, scattered over the village as follows: C. L. Johnson, Eagle street; Hendrickson & Garton, Eagle street; Fred Kuhrey, Main street, corner Seventh; Robert Ramsey, Main street, South Side; C. Koehler, Eagle and Fifth streets. These establishments are kept running constantly, doing much and good work.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.


Charles Blind (Barber)

CHARLES BLIND, the city barber, is now running two chairs, having engaged John Cook as an assistant, and a good, clean shave is guaranteed. Remember the place: Main street, near the Depot Hotel.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) December 27, 1876]


Blodgett & Sanborn

INSURANCE.
Blodget & Sanborn have a general insurance agency in the Plymouth County Bank building, second floor. Fire, Life and Accident policies written on short notice. Messrs. Blodget & Sanborn represent none but substantial companies.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.


W. H. Briggs

HARNESSES.
W. H. Briggs, who opened a saddlery and harness making shop in LeMars, in September, 1875, is still engaged in the same business, and he reports trade as "first-class;" everything encouraging; as much work as he can do. Mr. Briggs employs two men; his shop is on Main street, and he guarantees all work.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.


S. Brunskill

BUTCHERS
S. Brunskill & Co. have been butchering in LeMars for the past four years. They kill a large amount of stock each year, and their trade is increasing.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.


J. C. Buchanan, Esq. The Sentinel

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
LeMars is a wide-awake village, and therefore, of necessity, it must have its printing offices and weekly papers. Of these there are two: The Sentinel and the LIBERAL. The former was established in December, 1870, by its present proprietor, J. C. Buchanan, Esq., who has managed it continuously since that time. The Sentinel was a seven-column paper for some time after its birth, and was also a "patent" paper. It now contains eight columns to the page, and is home-made. The Sentinel has a good subscription and advertising patronage.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


Barney Bunkers
Last spring Barney Bunkers bought the Western Elevator Co.'s elevator here and on Monday he took full charge of the business. P. H. Peters has had charge of this elevator for nearly eleven years enjoyed a good business.
[The Remsen News (IA) September 3, 1908.]


Charlie Blind (Barber)

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
Of course people shave and have their hair cut out here, and to meet the demand we have two good barber shops. The first is located on Main street, three doors south of the Michigan Fruit Store. Charlie Blind, the proprietor, is a good barber, and he always gives satisfaction to customers. Two chairs are run at this place.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


THE WIGWAM (E. W. Burdick)

This is a queer looking building on Court street, where flax-seed and grains are bought and sold by E. W. Burdick. Mr. B. began business at this place in 1872, his-trade increasing regularly. At the Wigwam Bennett & Burdick (O. W. Bennett and E. W. Burdick) have a coal yard. They deal in Anthracite and Bituminous coals, of which they sell large quantities.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.


Burge & Henthges

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
Burge & Henthges have a large establishment on Sixth street, in the rear of Flint & Son. These gentlemen began business in LeMars, in 1871, putting in a large stock of dry goods, groceries, notions, etc., and by fair dealing and strict attention they have built up a large trade.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


BURNS BROTHERS' MILL.

This institution, which is one of the largest and most important in our village, was erected last summer by the Messrs. Burns Brothers, of New Rutland, Illinois. At the latter place these gentlemen had been milling for a number of years, but they desired to get nearer the great grain fields of the west, and therefore started on a tour of inspection, their choice of location falling upon LeMars. A little to the southwest of the Illinois Central railroad depot stands their mill, a visit to which will amply repay those who delight in seeing perfect working machinery. A few days since a reporter of the LIBERAL visited the mill, and was shown over the establishment by one of the proprietors, who seemed willing and desirous to explain all the minutae of the mammoth concern. The building is thirty-six by fifty feet, four stories in height. An hundred horse power engine, with two boilers forty-eight inches by twenty-four feet, runs the machinery, of which there is an infinite amount. After almost losing ourself in the network of rods, cogs and wheels in the basement, we ascend, by a narrow stairway to the first floor, where we find six stone or burrs, capable of reducing about seven hundred bushels of grain every twenty-four hours. On this floor are three sets of Fairbanks Patent Scales. Again taking up the march we arrive at the second floor, where are the bolting chests, flour bins, wheat bins, etc. A wheat brush, used in cleaning the grain of all imperfections, two middlings purifiers, corn-meal bolt, and other machinery occupy the third floor, and it is with difficulty that we thread our way through the complicated mass of odd-looking apparatus. In the attic we find a large size middlings-purifier, an oat separator, smut mill, bran bolt, machine for cleaning feed. Here we stand at least sixty feet above terra firma, and can feel and hear rumbling of that solid block of machinery, grinding, not as the mills of the gods, but with exceeding rapidity, each revolution doing a big work toward making fit for man's use the grains so liberally provided by bountiful Nature. F. W. Holmes, of Minonka, Illinois, built this mill, and the Messrs. Burns speak in terms of highest praise of his work. Everything works like clock-work throughout the entire building, notwithstanding the necessary complication of machinery. The mill is now managed by the proprietors, they having secured as "head miller" Mr. M. Rambach, acknowledged to be one of the most experienced millers in the northwest. In closing this imperfect article we cannot but remark that the Plymouth Mills are the most perfect we have ever seen, and that the proprietors deserve the fullest success, for the enterprise they have manifested.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.

STEAM FLOURING MILL

erected this summer by the Burns Bros., formerly of New Rutland, Illinois, is one of the finest and largest in the state of Iowa. It is located convenient to the I. C. R. R., and is connected with it by means of a side track. It is equipped with new and costly machinery, capable of grinding 700 bushels a day. It produces every variety of work, from chopped feed to the highest and most select brand of fancy and patent flours. Their system of exchange gives entire satisfaction to farmers, and is so arranged that wheat may be stored in bulk, and the flour taken in such quantities and at such times as suits their customers. A cooper shop and coal yard is run in connection with the mill.
[Source: The Le Mars Sentinel (IA) January 4, 1877; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman]


JAMES BURNS BARBER SHOP
Jas. Burns has opened a barber shop in Oyens. This is his third attempt.
[The Remsen News, Remsen, Iowa, May 7, 1908.]


Carlin & Skewes

BUTCHERS
Carlin & Skewes, the Sixth street butchers, have always on hand a fresh stock of meats, which they sell at living prices, (though the stock is dead.) This shop is on Sixth street, next door to J. C. Morris's oyster saloon. If you want good fresh meats call at Carlin & Skewes.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.


Chester & Co.

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
Just above Walton's, in the same room with T. E. Dunbar, we find Chester & Co., who have been opened not more than thirty days. A carefully selected stock of groceries, provisions, canned goods, flour and feed, are in stock, but the proprietors are compelled to add constantly to this, as their customers are clamorous in their demands upon them. Mr. C. tried business in LeMars about a year since, but was discouraged, and gave it up. He now says he will continue, as the town has improved so rapidly that he has every encouragement to continue.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


L. D. Clay

REAL ESTATE.
L. D. Clay & Co., Real Estate, Insurance, Collection and Loan Agents. Town lots in LeMars, improved and unimproved farms in Plymouth and adjoining counties; also agents for Sioux City and St. Paul Railroad Lands. Mr. Clay began the real estate business in this village, last May, continuing alone until the 20th of October last, when he associated with W. M. Nichols and A. A. Alline, Esqs. Since the opening of the business, in May, there have been sold by Mr. Clay and the firm thirty-two improved farms, besides several tracts of wild land. At present L. D. Clay & Co. have about seventy thousand acres of land in Plymouth, Sioux, and Woodbury counties for sale. These gentlemen predict a large hind trade in this village and vicinity next spring, and they have established agents in various towns of Illinois to co-operate with them. L. D. Clay & Co. also represent some of the best insurance companies doing business in this State.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.


R. M. Click

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
Four years since, R. M. Click, "the pioneer watchmaker," launched out in LeMars, his store being on Main street. There he continued until last summer, when he removed to Sixth street, in the same room with W. H. Smith, the tailor, since which time he has enjoyed a good trade. Every thing in the line of watches, jewelry, clocks, silverware, can be had at Click's, and at prices that cannot be beaten. Mr. C. is a practical watchmaker, and repairing entrusted with him receives careful attention
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


C. J. Corkery

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
On Main street, between Fifth and Sixth streets, is C. J. Corkery's confectionery, where Foreign and Domestic candies, fruits, etc., can be had at city prices. Mr. Corkery is building up a big trade.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


DENT'S BANK.

This beautiful building stands on the corner of Sixth street and an alley running parallel with Main street, and is, without doubt, the most attractive of our many handsome structures. It was erected by W. H. Dent, Esq., the banker, who has occupied it but a few weeks, his former place of business having been on Main street. The new bank building is what may be called a three-story building, there being a basement and two stories above, all three of which are now rented and used. Of stone the basement is built, while the upper stones are of a white brick, resembling a color fire-brick. Two offices comprise the basement; one occupied by Stanley & Welliver, real estate agents; the other being the LIBERAL office. The entrance to the bank is about five feet above the pavement, a neat iron stair case laid with hard-wood leading to the door. The room we enter is twenty-two by twenty-six feet, thirteen feet clear, and finished in walnut highly polished. A private office occupies the northwestern corner of this room, while in a recess at the northeastern corner is built a vault eight by twelve feet, the door for which was manufactured by the Hall Safe and Lock Company. This capacious room is lighted by three windows, two in front (French plate, size, about thirty-eight by one hundred inches) and one at the side over-looking the alley. The front windows are elaborately lettered in gold, and tell, in unmistakable language, just what kind of a business is done inside. Within this room we find W. H. Dent, the banker himself; Mr. Gibbs, the cashier; and Mr. Wernli, the teller. These gentlemen are the right men for the positions they occupy, their business transactions always being satisfactory to the patrons of the bank. At the eastern end of the building is a stairway leading to the third story, which has a pleasant little hall and four offices. Just to the left of the door leading to the stairway is a pleasant, roomy office, occupied by Attorney A. W. Durley. Up stairs Drs. Foster and Xanten have their offices. The height of the Le Mars Bank is about thirty-eight feet, with an elevation in the centre running the height to nearly forty-one feet. The building is complete in every way, reflecting credit upon proprietor, architect and builder. The LeMars Bank is not quite five years old, but its reputation is as high as that of any institution of the kind in the country. The founders were Proctor Kent and Win. Rymers. After a time Mr. Rymers purchased the interest of Mr. Kent in the concern, managing the business until his disposal thereof unto Mr. Dent.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.

W. H. DENT'S BRICK BANK

Among the conspicuous improvements of the year was the erection of W. H. DENT'S BRICK BANK, an edifice, which in its external appearance and internal arrangements, is not surpassed by any other in the state. The foundation is of Kasota stone, and the walls of Mankato brick. Its builder, J. W. Walker, is one of the finest mechanics in the state, and has superintended the principal buildings in town. The bank is furnished with all the latest improvements for protection against fire, for heating, and for ventilation.
[Source: The Le Mars Sentinel (IA) January 4, 1877; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman]


HENRY DORR

EVERGREEN FARM
Henry Dorr whose likeness appears below while a view of the barn yard on his fine estate, nine miles from Remsen appears at the head of this column, is one of the type of sturdy farmers, who through trial of grasshoppers and drouth, have helped to gain for Iowa and particularly that wonderfully rich section of it which surrounds Remsen, its present fame as the greatest agricultural section of the United States.

Mr. Dorr makes a specialty of raising Poland China hogs and thoroughbred Short Horn cattle. The boar at the head of his drove of hogs is Dorr's Tecumseh, weighing 800 pounds and is the peer of any animal of his kind in the state of Iowa.

The Evergreen drove of hogs has done exceedingly well this year and every animal purchased at his annual sale, which occurs on the 6th of February, will be in excellent health and the pink of condition. He will offer 50 head of spring and fall yearling sows at that sale.

Mr. Dorr now has six of his Short Horn cattle fully recorded with the American Short Horn association which gives his herd national standing. Mr. Dorr is making a pronounced success of stock raising and success is what counts.

The news would like views of other farms and farmers in this vicinity for publication in its columns. Bring your cuts to The News.
[The Remsen News (IA) September 12, 1907.]


B. and T. Dunbar

MESSRS. B. and T. Dunbar, bought the store room formerly occupied by Greenwald & Kline, on Main street, from Wm. Rymers, Esq., for the sum of two thousand dollars cash. These gentlemen are making substantial improvements on the building, and will soon be ready to accommodate the public with first class Groceries and Hardware, as they intend to combine their business in the same building.
[Source: Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) April 27, 1876]


T. E. Dunbar (Hardware)

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
Our hardware stores are as well stocked as any in the country, and do a large amount of business. T. E. Dunbar, on Main street, between Sixth and Seventh, sells stoves, tinware, cutlery, heavy and shelf hardware, agricultural implements, and all that sort of stuff, his sales annually reaching a high figure. Just now Mr. D. is disposing of heating stoves at a great reduction, in order to close out this part of his stock.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


Duus Brothers

FARMING IMPLEMENTS.
In March, 1876, Duus Brothers established themselves in LeMars, dealing in farming machinery of all descriptions, lime, plaster, etc. Their office and warehouse is on the corner of Main and Seventh streets, directly opposite Van Sickel's Hall. Messrs. Duus Brothers transact a big insurance business annually. They are prompt, reliable men.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.


Earnest Barber Shops

We are told that Fred Earnest has purchased the half interest in the barber shop at Alton owned by his brother Chas. The latter is looking up a new location. A nice business has been worked up by the Earnest Brothers.
[The Remsen News, Remsen, Iowa, June 11, 1908.]


David Edmunds

TINWARE.
David Edmunds has a tin store on Main street, nearly opposite Spring Brothers' hardware store. Everything in the tinware line constantly on hand. Repairing will receive prompt attention.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.


J. M. Emory, Esq. The LIBERAL

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
The LIBERAL was founded by John R. Curry, Esq., now editor and proprietor of the LaPlata Miner, published at Silverton, Colorado, and was managed by that gentleman almost exclusively until the spring of 1875, when J. M. Emory, Esq., purchased the office. Mr. E, while running the Depot Hotel, gave considerable attention to the editorial work on the LIBERAL, and he had the satisfaction of seeing it grow in popularity with each succeeding issue. The present proprietor has been on hand but a few weeks, but the encouragement he has received from the citizens of LeMars is sufficient to convince him that he did well in coming to the west. The LIBERAL, office is now located in Dent's new bank building, (Sixth street, near Main); is well supplied with jobbing material, presses, and first-class workmen, and is, we think, doing as much work as any country office in the State. It is the intention of the proprietor to make the LIBERAL a virtual necessity to every family in Plymouth county, and the hearty co-operation of our friends is respectfully solicited.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]

Fred Ernest
Fred Ernest, of Alton, has bought the barber shop business under the First National bank from Leroy Doty. Mr. Ernest formerly lived at Remsen and has many acquaintances here and is an experienced workman, who will maintain a high class shop. Mr. Doty will leave next week for a visit in southern Indiana and later will go west and locate in some new town.-Sentinel.
[Source: The Remsen News, Remsen, Iowa, August 20, 1908.]


J. F. Fairfax

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
In 1871, when LeMars was but a small place, J . F. Fairfax, the painter hung out his shingle and patiently waited for work to show itself. He now employs three men almost the entire year, and has plenty for them to do. Everything in the line of painting is done by Mr. Fairfax, and it is done well. His business is growing steadily. Some of the handsomest signs in the village are the work of J. F. Fairfax.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


Flint & Sons

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
On the corner of Main and Sixth streets, just opposite Allison's drug store, stands Flint & Son's, dry goods store, one of the largest in LeMars, or in Northwestern Iowa. This store was established in 1871 by Messrs. Blodget & Flint, continued in business together until the spring of 1876, when Mr. Blodget retired, the father of F. A. Flint becoming partner in the concern. The stock is of the finest character; dry goods, dress goods, notions, knick-knacks, of all descriptions, may here be obtained at ante bellum prices. An examination of the stock will convince all that Flint & Son know how to keep store.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


FROST & CO. SOAP
There is no doubt that the amount of business that has been done by Frost & Co.'s soap works, is due in a great measure to the efforts of A. G. Marshall, their gentlemanly and obliging manager, a man who always does the best for his employers interest. We learn that he has received an offer from a large manufacturing firm, but has not yet fully decided whether to accept or not. Should he do so, our town and Messrs. Frost & Co. will miss him but the parties with whom he engages will be the gainer.
[Evening Sentinel - Le Mars, Iowa, January 13, 1885.]


GEHLEN'S STEAM AND WATER MILL.

This establishment, standing on the banks of the Floyd river, was built in 1870, by Peter Gehlen, the present proprietor, and has been run by him exclusively since that time. The building is two and one-half stories; contains four run of stone, employs six men, and can grind three hundred bushels of grain in every twelve hours. A thirty-horse-power engine runs the mill when the river is low; otherwise it may be called a water mill. All the modern improvements are to be found in Gehlen's mill, and the flour manufactured there has a good reputation both at home and at those points east where it is shipped. John Gehlen, son of the proprietor, is the head miller.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.


German Savings Bank

James F. Toy, president of the German Savings Bank of this place, came up from Sioux City on Tuesday to attend the regular annual meeting of the stockholders of the bank. The institution is in excellent condition and the stockholders were pleased with the business done the past year. A dividend of 6 per cent on the capital stock of $50,000 was declared and the surplus fund increased from $3,500 to $5,000.
[The Remsen News, Remsen, Iowa, June 11, 1908]


Gibbs Brothers

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
Last, but not least, we have Gibbs Brothers, also located on Main street. This establishment is managed by Mr. David Gibbs, one of the partners. The gentlemen began business in LeMars, in 1873, at "Gordon's old corner," remaining there about six months, when they removed to their present location. Everything usually found at a drugstore, - oils, paints, glass, fancy articles, and the like - can be had at Gibbs' store. Especial attention is paid to the compounding of physicians' prescriptions.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


S. B. Gilliland

REAL ESTATE.
S. B. Gilliland, Esq., whose office is in Burge & Henthges' building, deals in real estate, draws all kinds of legal papers. Mr. G. is our Representative to the Legislature.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.


THOMAS GREEN'S BRICKYARD
MR, THOS. GREEN has started up his brickyard with a full set of hands, and hopes to have a kiln burned by the time the stock now on hand is exhausted. He is confident that from the experience of the two past seasons, he will be enabled to supply those of our citizens who contemplate building with as good an article and at lower prices than can be gotten elsewhere.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal, LeMars, Iowa, Thursday, April 27, 1876.]

ALSO:
MR. THOS. GREEN has started up his brickyard with a full set of hands, and hopes to have a kiln burned by the time the stock now on hand is exhausted. He is confident that from the experience of the two past seasons, he will be enabled to supply those of our citizens who contemplate building with as good an article and at lower prices than can be gotten elsewhere.
[Source: Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) April 27, 1876]


Samuel Greenwald & George Kline

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
Greenwald & Kline, one of the institutions of LeMars. Two years ago last September, Samuel Greenwald and George Kline began business with a small stock in the room now occupied by C. J. Corkery as a confectionery. Here they remained until the following April, when they took possession of the store room in which T E. Dunbar is now located, continuing in that place until last April, when they removed to their present commodious quarters, Flint's building, Main street. Greenwald & Kline carry a heavy stock of clothing, hats, caps, gents' furnishing goods, furs, etc. and their annual sales reach a high figure. These gentlemen buy furs and wool, which they ship to Chicago.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


JOHN GROTH

Herman Groth has his portable gasoline engine fixed to a manure spreader. If you want to see it work call the John Groth implement establishment.
[The Remsen News, Remsen, Iowa, April 18, 1907.]

CORN SHELLERS.
The corn crop this year is large. Come in and get a new Joliet or Deer sheller and get the business.
-John Groth.
[Source: The Remsen News (Remsen, IA) Thursday, October 22, 1908.]


Grubb Brothers

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
Grubb Brothers (M. and B.) opened a grocery store in LeMars, on the 10th of November, 1873, their place of business being the room now occupied by C. P . Stough. After continuing there for some time, they removed to their present location, Main street, near the Depot Hotel. They keep a general line of groceries, flour, provisions, feed, etc., and enjoy a large trade.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


Chris Guhler

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
Chris. Guhler, Main street, near Seventh, has a bakery and confectionery. Bread, pies, cakes, etc., are gotten up in nice style at this place. Mr. G. also deals in oysters, cigars and tobacco.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


Henry Hart and J. F. Bossart

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
. . . (after Osborne) . . . Next comes Hart & Brossart's store. The partners are Henry Hart and J . P. Brossart. These gentlemen have been engaged in business for the past four months, and by strict attention added to honorable dealing, have built up a large and profitable trade. Groceries, provisions, flour, feed, and all the etceteras so necessary to a happy family, are here dealt out in great quantities. Prices bound to be as low as the lowest.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


D. W. Held

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
LeMars, though many hundred miles distant from New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Baltimore and Cincinnati, is not at all backward in the matter of dress. Our gentlemen are just as particular about their appearance as are those of the eastern cities, and our tailors are able to cope with the workmen of the east in the manner of "get-up." We have D. W. Held, whose room is on Main street, a few doors above Sixth, who makes up clothing in the latest styles and most durable manner. Ready-made clothing, for men and boys, can also be purchased at this store, and at prices to suit the times. Mr. Held has been in business in LeMars for three years past, and his trade is constantly growing. "Good fits always guaranteed."
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


PLYMOUTH COUNTY BANK. (B. H. A. Henningsen)

This banking institution was organized on the 12th day of June, 1874, but transacted no business until nearly a year subsequent to that date. The first officers were, President, J. H. Wilson; Cashier, G. B. Van Saun. In 1874 the building now occupied by the bank was erected by the stock holders. The first floor is used exclusively by the bank, the front part being the bank proper, while in the rear are a private office, vaults, etc. Fifty thousand dollars is the capital stock. The present officers are President, B. H. A. Henningsen; Cashier, P. F. Dalton; Teller, F. E. Shaw. The second story of the bank building is occupied by A. H. Lawrence, Esq., and Blodget & Sanborn. It is useless for us to speak of the reputation of the Plymouth County Bank; its character is of the best.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.


HOFFMANN HOUSE CHANGES HANDS
On March 1st J. J. Duster of the Hoffmann House will step out and John Duster, an uncle, will assume management of this popular hostelry. J. J. has been connected with the hotel business the past 6 years and that he understands his business is evidenced by the manner in which he is conducting the Hoffmann. Everything is as neat as a pin and he sets as good a table as you could find at any $2.00 per day house in the state. It is with regret that his many patrons see him leave for he is one of those men who are accommodating and good natured which is pleasing to customers. He was the landlord of the Wagner House for one year, six years ago, then for four years he was in the hotel business at Alton, and two years ago he came back to Remsen and took charge of the Wagner hotel. Ten months ago he moved into the Hoffmann house and he has worked up a good business to turn over to his successor. J. J. will not do anything for some time, but expects to go to Hot Springs in the near future in the hopes of benefiting her health which is poorly and her many friends here hope to see her recover her former good health. Here's wishing J. J. success in whatever he may take up in the future.

John Duster, the new proprietor and his wife need no introduction to the people of Remsen as they have lived in this neighborhood for many years and they are competent people who will undoubtedly keep the standard of the Hoffmann house up to its present mark. We wish them success.
[The Remsen News, Remsen, Iowa, Thursday, February 27, 1908.]


J. D. Jackson

- - - DENTIST Surgeon, is permanently located at Lemars. For the present he may be professionally consulted at the Depot Hotel. All work warranted.
[Source: Le Mars Sentinel (IA) November 23, 1876]

- - - DENTIST.
Dr J. D. Jackson, of Minnesota, is at present practicing dental surgery in this village, and with success. The Dr's. office is in Flint's building, second floor.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.


N. B. Kaiser

BOOTS AND SHOES.
Across the way, in Flint's large brick building, N. B. Kaiser has a well-fitted boot and shoe store. Mr. Kaiser began business in LeMars, May 10, 1875, his store being on Sixth street. During the winter of '75, Mr. K. removed to his present location, where he has pushed things along in a lively manner. Three men are employed at this establishment, and they do good work.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.


N. Kass and Sons

The safe of N. Kass & Sons, at Remsen, ten miles east of Lemars, Iowa, was blown open and $300 in money, and jewelry and valuables, amounting to $1,800 were taken.
[Aberdeen Daily News (SD) Tuesday, April 28, 1891]


HENRY KIRCHOFF
Henry Kirchoff has enlarged the dining room of his restaurant by moving the kitchen out to a room in the rear. This gives him room to set two more tables and makes a nice roomy dining room.
[The Remsen News, Remsen, Iowa, April 16, 1908.]


Kluckhohn & Laux

COAL.
Kluckholm & Laux have a coal yard near the Illinois Central railroad. They sell large quantities of the "Black Diamond."
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.


Charlie Kluckhohn
Charlie Kluckhohn has purchased from Held the store he occupies, and is now monarch of all he surveys when he gets inside. By square-dealing and courtesy to his customers Kluckhohn has built up a fine grocery trade, which, with his increased room he will now be sure to enlarge.
[Source: LeMars Sentinel (Le Mars, Iowa) March 2, 1876.]


Kluckhohn & Loew (Groceries)

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
Kiuckhohn & Loew began business in May, 1875. They deal in groceries, provisions, fruits, and the like, and have a big trade. Their stock is carefully selected, and is sold as low as the same class of goods in eastern towns. This store is on Sixth street, a few doors below the Post office.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


HENRY KNOWLES BUYS STRUBLE JOURNAL

The Struble Journal has been sold to Henry Knowles. Bro. Perdue, the retiring editor always got out a good paper. We wish the new editor success in his undertaking.
[The Remsen News, Remsen, Iowa, October 29, 1908]


WILLIAM C. LANG
I am digging wells, or any other work the spade. I would be pleased to have a chance to figure on the job. I do anything in the above kind of work, and also lay patent tiling and brick up wells.
[The Remsen News, Remsen, Iowa, April 11, 1907.]


A. H. Lawrence

REAL ESTATE.
A. H. Lawrence, Esq., deals in real estate, pays taxes, etc. His office is in the Plymouth County Bank building, Sixth street, near Main
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.


LE MARS SHOE FACTORY
Le Mars, Iowa - The Le Mars shoe factory was totally destroyed by fire. The loss of building and stock will reach $50,000; insurance, $30,000.
[ Minneapolis Journal - Minneapolis, Minnesota, Monday, June 14, 1897.]


LIVERY STABLES (1877)

Of these we have two: Draper & Cadwell, whose barn is on Main street, near the depot; and Young & Corkery, whose stable is just opposite the depot, south of the Illinois Central railroad. Horses are bought, sold and exchanged at these places.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.


G. E. Loring

COAL.
G. E. Loring & Co. sell hard and soft coal; their yard is always supplied with a full stock.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.


LUMBER

We have two extra-good lumber yards, well supplied with stock. The first is owned by Isaac Staples, Esq., and run by C. N. Knapp, The second is the property of the Dubuque Lumber Company, but managed by Geo. E. Loring & Co.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.


William Mentzer

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
On Sixth street, directly opposite the LIBERAL office, Wm. Mentzer has a neat and commodious shop, where you can be shaved, shampooed or barbered in a first-class manner, and in a short tune, Mr. Mentzer runs two chairs, and has as much as he can do.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


Jacob Metz

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
Every community, be it large or small, has its devotees to tobacco. Some chew, others smoke, while not a few feed their noses, (they call it snuffing;) and since such is the habit, it is always advisable to use none but the best brands of the weed; in LeMars that can be found at Jacob Metz's, Sixth street, near Eagle. Mr. Metz employs three men constantly, manufacturing about one hundred and fifty thousand cigars per annum, about one-half of which are shipped east, where they meet a ready sale. Mr. Metz is the only cigar manufacturer in the village, and he is working up a large trade with our home houses.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


FRANK MILLER
Frank Miller got here yesterday with his goods and family and is making ready to open a first-class grocery in the old Nick Ehl stand on Sixth street. Mr. Miller is an old Dubuquer, and has been in the grocery trade nearly all his life, and being a shrewd business man, he understands it to a dot. We welcome him to the business circles of the Gateway. Next week he will tell his own story to the readers of the SENTINEL.
[Source: Le Mars Sentinel (Le Mars, IA) October 5, 1876.]


F. Miller & Co.

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
About three months ago F. Miller & Co., opened a store on Sixth street, one door below where Dent's new bank building now stands. In conversation with the managing partner last week, we learned that the patronage given the establishment was such as to warrant them in "going on is the good work," and they will add to their stock constantly. Here we have flour, feed, foreign and domestic candies, queensware, glassware, crockery, and groceries in great profusion, and the rush that may be seen almost every hour of the day, is proof conclusive, that goods are being sold.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


Mrs. Milliman

MILLINERY.
Mrs. Milliman hung out a sign as milliner in the spring of 1873; she still continues, her store being on upper Main street. The most "beautiful," "charming" hats and bonnets that one could wish to see are gotten up by Mrs. Milliman, and her charges are not so very high.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.


Julia Nobles
DRESS MAKING.
Mrs. Julia Nobles wishes to inform the ladies of Lemars, that having learned the business with Mrs. Rice, the fashionable dressmaker of Sioux City, she is prepared to do all kinds of plain and fancy sewing and dressmaking at the homes of her patrons, for $3.00 a week, board and lodging included. Orders left with Mrs. J. H. Wilkins.
[Source: Le Mars Sentinel (Le Mars, IA) October 12, 1876.]


C. A. Morrison

DENTIST.
Dr. C. A. Morrison, of Cherokee, also visits LeMars occasionally. He is a first-class dentist, always guaranteeing satisfaction.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.


C. G. Norris

BUTCHERS
In 1870 C. G. Norris began selling meat to the then few residents of LeMars, and he has continued the business until the present time, each succeeding season seeing his trade grow far ahead of its predecessor.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.


Sig Obermayer
SIG. OBERMAYER, the gentlemanly superintendent of the Dry Goods and Clothing House, on Main street, lately purchased by Greenwald & Kline, has gone to Independence. Mr. Obermayer won hosts of friends while with us, and shared a very liberal patronage of trade. We trust the new firm may have plenty to do to keep them busy, as they start out with indications of a determination to keep just what is wanted, in their line, both in variety and quality.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) Thursday, April 27, 1876.]


H. M. Ohmit
Flint & Flint have sold the Granville Gazette to H. M. Ohmit of Melvin, Iowa, and the new publisher took charge last week. The Gazette was better under the Flint management than it has ever been before and the new man will have to go some to keep up the standard. We wish him success in his new venture.
[Source: The Remsen News, Remsen, Iowa, Thursday, September 10, 1908.]


G. P. Osborne

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
G. P . Osborne has been running a grocery store on Sixth street, nearly opposite the Postoffice, for the past year. He keeps on hand constantly, a well selected stock of groceries, provisions, flour and feed, and enjoys a fair share of public patronage. During the summer, Mr. O. built himself a neat frame dwelling house on the corner of Main and Second street; size, 33x23, two stories high.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


Paul Peterson

Paul Peterson, the popular blacksmith here, has received some fine calendars from the Remsen News which he is distributing to his many customers and friends. Paul is certainly doing a nice business, which is picking up right along, and he deserves it, for he is a fine workman and always gives satisfaction. He has hired Rasmus Sims to help him in the shop, and Rasmus last week moved his family to Oyens and is now one of our citizens.
[Source: The Remsen News (Remsen, IA) Thursday, December 17, 1908; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman]


PHOTOGRAPHERS

We have two good artists in LeMars, G. G. Gosting, whose rooms are over Wernli's book store, and J. C. Wilson, who is located next door to the Sentinel office.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.


PHYSICIANS

Our country is so healthful, generally, that the services of a physician are not needed. But in the event of sickness, persons may call on Dr. W. B. Porter, or Drs. Foster & Xanten, with the assurance that if medical skill can save the patient, he need not be afraid of death just now.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.


Pierce & Everett

MILLINERY.
A little further down we find Mrs. Pierce & Everett engaged in the same line of business, and judging from the activity about the establishment, they must have plenty to do. Well, the ladies will don fine hats and bonnets, and 'tis better that they get them here at home than to run to Sioux City, Dubuque or some other out-of-the-way place.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.


FRANK PILLEY & SONS (Cheese)
Alteration work at the Frank Pilley & Sons plant in Merrill has been going on for the past month. The building has been converted from a milk depot into a cheese factory. While (the work is still incomplete, the first batch of cheese was made at the plant on Tuesday. As soon as the alterations are completed a big opening celebration is planned.
[Le Mars Sentinel - Le Mars, Iowa, Tuesday, February, 3, 1942.]


Plymouth County Bank

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
This banking institution was organized on the 12th day of June, 1874, but transacted no business until nearly a year subsequent to that date. The first officers were, President, J. H. Wilson; Cashier, G. B. Van Saun. In 1874 the building now occupied by the bank was erected by the stock holders. The first floor is used exclusively by the bank, the front part being the bank proper, while in the rear are a private office, vaults, etc. Fifty thousand dollars is the capital stack. The present officers are, President, B. H. A. Henningsen; Cashier, P. F. Dalton; Teller, F. E. Shaw. The second story of the bank building is occupied by A. H. Lawrence, Esq., and Blodget & Sanborn. It is useless for us to speak of the reputation of the Plymouth County Bank; its character is of the best.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


J. J Pocock

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
J. J. Pocock has a neat little drugstore on Main street, between Sixth and Seventh. It is now more than three years since Mr. Pocock began business, and in that time his patronage has grown from a very small item to a large and constantly increasing trade. At Pocock's prescriptions are compounded, patent medicines, of known superiority are kept constantly on hand, and fancy articles, as cheap as the cheapest.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


PLYMOUTH ROLLER MILLS
The new Plymouth Roller Mills of LeMars have just commenced operations, and are now ready to exchange flour, meal and feed with farmers on same terms as before the fire, and will guarantee satisfaction. They will be pleased to see all their old and new customers.
[The Evening Sentinel - Le Mars, Iowa, Saturday, January 17, 1885.]


Recknagel's Barber Shop
L. Recknagel's barber shop was re-papered this week and the place looks as new as a spick span silver dollar.
[Source: The Remsen News, Remsen, Iowa, August 20, 1908.]


N. F. Revell

HARNESSES.
N. F. Revell deals in harness, saddles, trunks, etc., at his shop on Main street. Repairing of all kinds, attended to promptly, and satisfaction guaranteed. Mr. R. has been in business in LeMars for a number of years, and has worked up a good trade.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.


Richmond's Shoes

BOOTS AND SHOES.
On Main street, near the railroad, is Richmond's shoe store. Purchasers will always find a large stock of heavy and light, ladies', gentlemen's, and children's footwear at this establishment; prices as low as can be found elsewhere.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.


John Schaat

A NEW HARNESS SHOP.
Having established a new harness shop at Oyens I desire to have those who need anything in that line call. Don't think because Oyens is small that I can't supply you as good as a town that is larger. Come and see me.
John Schaat.
[The Remsen News, Remsen, Iowa, April 11, 1907.]


A. F. SCHULTZ, DENTIST

A. F. Schultz who has had a dental parlor here for a number of years has decided to leave Remsen and move to Webster City where he will have a large field. Mr. Schultz is a good dentist and a number one citizen and we hate very much to see him leave us. Although our loss is another's gain. The news and his many friends wish for him untold success in his new location.
[The Remsen News, Remsen, Iowa, May , 1907.]


William P. Siebert (Tailor)
We are to have a tailor in this town, Wm. P. Siepert [sic.] of Plankinton, S. D. has rented the rooms over the News office and will be ready to do business the first of the week. He is not going to run a "City Pantorium" but a practical tailor shop and he cuts, fits and turns out clothes.
[Source: The Remsen News (Remsen, IA) July 30, 1908.]

There is one man in town who is working up a nice business in his line and that is Wm. B. Siebert, the tailor. We were in his shop Saturday and he is as busy as a bee and has his large rack filled up with clothes that are demanding his attention. He is a fine workman and he is deserving of the patronage that he is getting.
[Source: The Remsen News (Remsen, IA) Thursday, October 22, 1908.

Wm. B. Siebert, our popular tailor, has moved into the office recently vacated by Barney Bunkers on the west side of Main street and resumed business Tuesday. This makes a much pleasanter location for Mr. Siebert and gives him more light which in his business is a necessity. He is working up a fine business and he is deserving of it, being a good practical workman and tending strictly to his work. He is filling a long felt want in Remsen.
[The Remsen News (Remsen, IA) Thursday, September 10, 1908.]


Singer's Saloon
Louis Singer has had his saloon papered and a fancy ceiling put on which materially improves the place, this week.
[Source: The Remsen News, Remsen, Iowa, August 20, 1908.]


G. S. Small
G. S. SMALL & CO., contemplate putting up an establishment for the manufacturing of furniture. A location has already been selected for the building, and we trust sufficient encouragement will be given to make the enterprise a success.
[Source: Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) April 27, 1876.]


C. K. Smith (Groceries)

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
C. K. Smith, the popular corner grocer, established himself in this village, in the beautiful month of May, 1874, and since that time he has been pushing a good trade, the specialties being groceries, crockery, wood and willow ware. Smith's store is the southwest corner of Main and Sixth streets. Pure and fresh stock always on hand.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


W. H. Smith (Merchant Tailoring)

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
Among the old residents of LeMars, in W. H. Smith, the tailor, who has been actively engaged in business here since 1873. Mr. S., besides his tailoring establishment, sells ready-made clothing, gentlemen's furnishing goods, and all those little knick-knacks which go to make up the, toilet of the sterner sex. Two persons are constantly employed at Smith's, and work is usually very plenty. Mr. Smith's store is on Sixth street, a few doors below the LIBERAL, office.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


W. N. and G. H. Spring (Hardware)

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
Messrs. Spring Brothers (W. N . and G.H.) opened up in LeMars about three years ago in the building now used as a ware house, on the south side of the Illinois Central railroad. After remaining there several months, they erected the large brick building on Main street, in which they are now located, and removed their stock thence, since which time their trade has rapidly increased. Not only do these gentlemen deal in hardware and agricultural implements, but furniture and tinware are also manufactured and sold in large quantities. Spring Brothers have no specialty; they make a run on everything - keep good goods and sell at close figures.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


Stanley & Welliver

REAL ESTATE.
Stanley & Welliver, agents for the Iowa Railroad Lund Company, have their office in Dent's bank building, Sixth street. Dr. Stanley began business in LeMars, in 1871, since which time he and the firm have sold not less than seventy-five thousand acres of railroad land, besides more than ten thousand acres belonging to other companies. Stanley & Welliver also do collecting, loaning and tax-paying. Their business is principally in the counties of Plymouth, Sioux and O'Brien. Dr. Stanley tells us that they expect a big trade during the next season.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.


Mr. and Mrs. Paul Stoel buy the Tip Top Cafe

Akron (Special Correspondence)
Mr. and Mrs. Paul Stoel have bought the Tip Top cafe from Mrs. Bea Sorenson and Mrs. I. Pollock and took possession August 1.
[Source: Le Mars Sentinel (IA) August 4, 1944]


C. P. Stough

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
On Main street, near the Illinois Central railroad, stands a small, unpretentious building, extending from which is the sign, "Furniture," and inside the building is a very large stock of parlor, bed-room, library and other setts; chairs, tables, looking-glasses, and other stuff, by far too numerous to mention. This establishment is owned and managed by C. P. Stough, who opened in April, 1876, and has since that, time had a big and constantly increasing trade. Even in his present hampered quarters, Mr. S. contrives to keep a heavy stock of furniture on hand at all times, and if he should be successful in obtaining a larger room next year, he will be able to supply LeMars and all the country round-about with house furnishing goods. Mr. Slough is the only person in LeMars who deals exclusively in furniture. Undertaking in all its branches attended to. A full supply of ready-made coffins, all sizes, constantly on hand. In the spring, Mr. Slough will add a hearse to his establishment.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


M. Stronck

BOOTS AND SHOES.
It is now nearly seven years since M. Stronck opened up a stock of boots and shoes in LeMars, and he has never regretted the step. Mr. Stronck's place is on Main street. He keeps on hand and makes up heavy and light wear, and his trade is constantly growing.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.


ENOCH SWANSON (Phillips 66)

Swanson Celebrating Tenth Anniversary

Ten years ago today, February 3, 1932, Enoch Swanson embarked upon a business career in Le Mars. In this issue of The Sentinel Mr. Swanson thanks his many patrons for the patronage he has enjoyed during the past ten years. There are those who will tell you that Mr. Swanson is better known in Plymouth and Sioux counties than any other man in this section. One reason for that assumption is that Enoch spends most of his time in the "field." He believes in being on the "firing" line himself. It is difficult to estimate the number of customers Enoch has in Plymouth and Sioux counties, but the number would run into many thousands. He has built up a splendid business on the .theory that it always pays to give the customer the best at the lowest possible price. He says that way of doing business is appreciated by the public. The names, Enoch Swanson and Phillips 66 are synonymous - if you think of one you naturally think of the other, so today as he celebrates his many friends rejoice with him in his success. He operates the largest commission bulk plant in the state of Iowa and serves 17 stations.
[Le Mars Sentinel - Le Mars, Iowa, Tuesday, February 3, 1942.]


J. A. Thompson

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
About the first of August, 1870, J . A. Thompson opened up a small stock of clocks, watches, jewelry and fancy notions, in the Post-office, building, and today he has a trade amounting to many thousands annually. Mr. T. sells watches of the best make, clocks of known reliability, and jewelry of superior quality. It is this that has done much toward building up so large and profitable a patronage. Then, Mr. Thompson is a gentleman of social qualities that make for him many friends wherever he goes, and these friends are business as well as social.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


M. B. Tritz

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
In 1871, M. B. Tritz & Brother opened a small hardware, tin, and grocery store, which, since that time, has grown to large proportions. Their location is now on Sixth street, near Main, and their stock comprises hardware, tinware, agricultural implements, flour, feed and groceries. These gentlemen, by strict attention to business, and fair dealing, have built up a large and paying trade, and careful attention is always given to the selection of their stock, so that they know they uniformly have the best in the market.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


Charles Wagner

This week Monday Charles Wagner took charge of the saloon recently conducted by John Galles. Mr. Wagner needs no introduction to our citizens as a business man. He has conducted a saloon here before and his success in the business in future is an assured fact. He invites all to call.
[The Remsen News, Remsen, Iowa, April 4, 1907.]


G. W. Walton

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
On Main street, next to Pocock's drug store, G. W. Walton has a neat little store, filled with family groceries, fresh and pure, Mr. Walton's expenses are light; he is prompt and reliable, and is working up a large trade.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


J. Wernli

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
Some people get the idea that western people are only about half-civilized - that their time is spent in fishing, hunting and tilling the few acres that are within their reach; allowing no time for the improvement of the mind. This is a great mistake; we venture to say that there is more reading done in the village of Le Mars, than in any three places of its size in the more civilized east. We have two first-class book stores, which supply our people with good reading-matter, at about Chicago prices. The first we will mention is that of J. Wernli & Sons, situated on Main street, near Sixth, This establishment was opened in October, 1875, and the stock comprises, books, stationery, jewelry, musical instruments, wall paper, pictures and frames, sheet music, etc. Daily and weekly papers are received at Wernli's, and their trade is large. The genial Professor or his gentlemanly sons consider it a pleasure to show goods, whether a sale is made or not, but it seldom happens that a customer fails to find what he wants at Wernli's.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]


Wilde & Myers

REAL ESTATE.
Wilde & Myers opened a real estate office in the room formerly occupied by the LIBERAL, last November. They are working up a good trade.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.


H. A. Willenburg

The tinseling of post cards has been taken up by H. A. Willenburg and he is now turning out cards with your name or your friends name on them in tinsel and they are certainly fine. It is not necessary that you go out of town for tinseled cards when you get the work done here.
[The Remsen News, Remsen, Iowa, October 29, 1908]


J. H. Wilkins

HARNESSES.
J. H. Wilkins has a saddlery and harness shop on Main street, in the rear of Richmond's shoe shop. All work guaranteed; prompt attention paid to repairing.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.


C. P. Woodard

FARMING IMPLEMENTS.
Four years since C. P. Woodard opened an establishment where farming implements, of every character, style, kind, grade or make might be had, and he has built for himself a large and rapidly growing trade. Here we see the Marsh Harvester and Header, Treshing Machines, Mowers, Reapers, and, in fact, everything that a farmer could desire to make him happy. Mr. Woodard takes pleasure in showing up the beauties and advantages of the implements he handles, and our farmer friends wanting anything in his line will do well to give him a call.
SOURCE: The Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.


L. B. Young & Co.

LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
The Michigan Fruit Store is known all over this part of the country, and its reputation is first-rate, too. This store was opened in October, 1872, by L. B. Young, and by him continued until July 24, 1876, when the firm name was changed to that of L. B. Young & Co., and as such is still running. This is not solely a grocery store, but a mixture of everything in the staple and notion lines. There one can find groceries, provisions, flour, feed, fruits, nuts, and, in fact almost everything wanted. During the past season Messrs. Young & Co., have sold six car-loads of apples, an item by itself. Goods purchased at the Michigan Fruit Store are delivered to any part of the village free of charge, and the horse used for this business hasn't a very "soft thing" of it, either. Since the very opening of the Michigan Fruit Store business has been good with it, and it continues so, with every prospect of improvement in the future.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877.]


Young & Corkery

- - - MESSRS. YOUNG & CORKERY have some splendid turn-outs, and their prices for livery teams are liberal enough to allow any one a luxurious ride.
[Source: Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) April 27, 1876.]

- - - LE MARS. Its Present Business Aspect.
Young & Corkery, who lately removed to the corner of Main and Seventh streets, deal largely in dry goods, groceries, notions, etc., and their trade is a large one. Just now these gentlemen are selling off their goods at cost, and bargains and bargains are offered. Messrs. Young & Corkery have been blessed with a large patronage ever since their establishment in business in LeMars, and while they will probably close out their present business, we shall not lose them, as they are even now largely engaged in stock and real-estate buying.
[Source: The Iowa Liberal (Le Mars, IA) January 3, 1877]



Submitted by Mary Kay Krogman unless otherwise indicated.


Plymouth County Home Page

Visit Our Iowa State Site:
Genealogy Trails
© Copyright by GenealogyTrails