Mrs. Randolph S. Beall
Martha Stahl was born Aug. 11, 1862, the daughter of Michael and Mary Talley Stahl who came to Ringgold county in 1856, locating on a farm bought from the government which is still in Mr. Stahlís possession. She was graduated in 1888 from Simpson College and has the degrees of B. S. and M. S., later taking post graduate work in the Chicago University. For nine years she was professor of Latin in Simpson College. On august 25, 1904, she was married to Randolph S. Beall of Mt. Ayr. She is an active member of the M. E. church and for several years has been secretary of the Des Moines Conference Womanís Foreign Missionary Society. In 1912 she was a delegate to the General Conference, being the only woman delegate from the district comprising Iowa and Nebraska. She is president of the Monday Club and of the Village Improvement Association. She organized and was for several years president of the Mt. Ayr Lecture Course Association. She has traveled in this country and in Europe. A sister, Miss Josephine Stahl, has for twenty years been a missionary in India and Burma, and was the heroine of the Darjeeling disaster in 1897. Mrs. Beallís family in all of its branches are devoted members of the M. E. church. Her father was a member of the first class organized in the county and for several years his home was used for religious services since there were no churches of that faith near. Of his nineteen living children and grandchildren all are members of that church and fifteen of them have been educated in Simpson College
[The Blue book of Iowa Women, by Winona Evans Reeves, Publ. 1914, Transcribed by Sally Masteller]
Dan E. McGugin
McGUGIN, Dan E., lawyer; born, Tingley, Ia. (Ringold Co) , Aug. 29, 1879;son of Benjamin Franklin and Melissa (Critchfield) McGugin; attended Tingley High School, 1893-95; graduate Drake University, Des Moines, Ia., degree of Ph.B., 1901; University of Michigan, degree of LL.B., 1904; married at Nashville, Ten., Dec. 6, 1905, Virginia L. Fite. Has been engaged in practice in Detroit since Aug. 1, 1904; member law firm of Huston & McGugin. Also president Merchants' Credit Report Co.; secretary Wrock & Watson Agency, general insurance. Member Detroit Bar Association, Corinthian Lodge F. & A.M., W.A., Order of Maccabees, Delta Upsilon. Club: Peninsular. Recreations: Outdoor sports (coach Vanderbilt University football team, two months each autumn). Office: 41 Buhl Blk. Residence: 210 John R. St.
[The Book of Detroiters by Albert Nelson Marquis 1908, submitted by Christine Walters]
Archibald McMullen, one of the oldest residents and a prominent citizen of Ringgold county, Iowa, for many years, was born May 18, 1822, in Coshocton county, Ohio, and was married in 1844 to Miss Susan McClain, who was born in the same county, November 6, 1822. A sister of Mr. McMullen, Mrs. Margaret McBride, lived about half a mile east of his place and die there at an early day. Her son, Charlie McBride, lived with her. He also had another sister, Miss Rachel McMullen, who made her home with the family for some time, returning later to her former home in Ohio, where she died. And there was a brother, Alex McMullen, whose home was in Ohio. There may have been other brothers and sisters, but these were the only ones of whom we have any record.
Mr. and Mrs. McMullen were the parents of nine children. With their family they came to Ringgold county, Iowa in 1858, shortly after the county was organized, and located in Section 22, Monroe township, four miles north of where Kellerton now stands. The oxen as well as horses were used in hauling the heavy loads across the prairies to the new home. And for some time afterwards, the oxen were used in the work about the farm. In the course of time, the necessary buildings were erected, the virgin soil produced abundant crops, and the family prospered. Neighbors were few and far between, and the population of the entire county at that time was probably less than 2,000. For some time after coming here, their nearest trading point was Osceola, about 35 miles to the northeast, to which place they went by wagon to buy their dry goods, groceries, etc., and to have their grain ground into flour and meal. Having been reared to agricultural pursuits, they continued this business of farming and stock raising during their active life, and at one time were the owners of between 1,100 and 1,200 acres of Iowa land. In the pioneer days when lodging houses were far apart, travelers as well as neighbors always found a hearty welcome at the hospitable home of "Uncle Archie and Aunt Susan."
As the children grew to maturity, they left the old home place to establish homes of their own. One son, Levi C., never married, but remained with his parents and took charge of the work on the farm after his father became too old to look after it himself.
In December, 1898, the 240-acre home farm was sold and the family moved to Kellerton to spend their declining years and purchased a residence property in the north part of town. Early in January of the following year, Levi bought Charley Powers' meat market, but was destined not to continue long in the business. About a year later he was taken sick, and died February 14, 1900. Three years later, Mr. and Mrs. McMullen left Kellerton to make their home with their daughter, Mrs. Abe Roberts, of near Ellston, where Mr. McMullen died September 6, 1907. Mrs. McMullen died in Tingley, in October or November, 1913. Both are buried in the Oliver Cemetery.
Submitted by Bill Adams
Abraham Roberts, one of the principal agriculturists of Liberty Township, residing on section 1, was born in Coshocton County, Ohio, August 4, 1840, the youngest of a family of four children. His father, Thompson Roberts, was a farmer by occupation, which pursuit he followed till his death. He died when our subject as but seven years of age. The mother also died when our subject was a mere boy, leaving him an orphan at a very early age.
After the death of his parents he was employed on the farm of John S. Webb, for whom he worked nine years, near Indianapolis, Indiana. In the spring of 1865 he came to Ringgold County, where he lived on rented land for four years. He then bought forty acres of his present farm, which was one of the first settled farms in this part of the county.
He was united in marriage in March, 1871, to Miss Louisa J. McMullin, a native of Coshocton County, Ohio, but at the time of her marriage living in Ringgold County. They are the parents of six children - four sons and two daughters.
Mr. Roberts brought with him to this county $700, which he had saved from his own earnings, and this money he invested in a team, which he subsequently traded for his first forty acres. Here he followed farming a number of years, when he seeded his farm to grass, and turned his attention to raising stock. He is making a specialty of high-grade cattle and draught horses, being especially successful in the raising of horses. To his original purchase he has added from time to time till his farm now contains 230 acres of choice land, 160 acres being across the line in Monroe Township.
He has a comfortable and commodious residence, a good frame barn and other farm buildings for the accommodation of his stock, and by his industry and good management has acquired a good competency for his declining years.
Submitted by Bill Adams
Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.