Genealogy Trails logo

 

Tama County, Iowa
Abandoned Towns, Villages And Post Offices

Badger Hill - A village established in about 1870 in the southern part of section 3, Spring Creek Township, about one mile northwest of the present town of Gladbrook. Post office, 1867-80.
Bovina - A post office (1868-73) in the northern part of Buckingham Township.
Bruner - A post office (1850-58) and hamlet a short distance southwest of Monticello, which see below.
Buckingham - A pioneer town of some importance from about 1856 to 1874 in the southeastern part of section 33, Buckingham Township, and the northeastern part of section 4, Perry Township, or two miles northwest of the present town of Traer. After the abandonment of the town a post office of the same name ran a few years in section 22, Buckingham Township, and later yet the present railroad station and village of Buckingham was established in section 14.
Butlerville - A town in the northeast corner of section 17, Indian Village Township, on the south side of the Iowa River, about two miles northwest of the present town of Montour. Post office, 1886-1901 It was previously called Indian Town.
Carroll - A place in section 2, Carroll Township, as shown on maps of 1881.
Coldville - A post office (1872-81) In the southwestern part of Section 10, Lincoln Township.
Collins Grove - A post office from 1857 to 1858 in the southeastern part of Crystal Township.
Columbia - The name of the hamlet as appears on the maps where was located the post office of Ola, which see below.
Connell - A post office (1872-75) in section 10, Grant Township.
Crystal - A town and post office (1857-1902) in section 14, Crystal Township.
Dryden - A post office (1868-81) shown on some maps in Oneida Township near its southeast corner, and on later maps in York Township near its northeast corner.
Ettie - Listed as a post office in Tama County from 1869 to 1878, but the location not found.
Eureka - A town in the southeastern part of section 21, Richland Township. Post office, 1855-59.
Evergreen - A post office (1869-1900) south of the central part of Geneseo Township.
Fairhaven - A post office (1872-91) in the western part of Crystal Township.
Fifteen Mile - See Fifteen Mile Grove below.
Fifteen Mile Grove - A post office (1867-83) in the southern part of section 6, Lincoln Township. It continued as Fifteen Mile post office until 1900.
Fisherville - A hamlet in the southern part of Carroll Township as shown on maps of 1869.
Forks - A post office (1861-66) in the central part of Geneseo Township.
Geneseo - A post office from 1888 to 1895 in Geneseo Township.
Haven - The name of the village and post office (1870-1903) previously known as Eureka, which see above.
Heath - A post office (1859-01) in the southwestern part of Carlton Township.
Helena - A town in the southeast corner of section 9 and the southwest corner of section 10, Richland Township. Post office, 1850-90.
Homan - A place in the central part of Howard Township, as shown on maps of 1868 and 1869.
Hotona - A post office in the southeast Comer of section 4, Richland Township, on the south side of the Iowa River, as shown on maps of 1875.
Howard - A post office during 1868 in section 2, Howard Township.
Indian Town - The earlier name of the village of Butlerville, which see above. Indian Town was also the name of the post office from 1854 to 1850.
Irving - A village in the northeast corner of section 1, Salt Creek Township. A portion of the village was on the east side of the Benton County line. The original village is gone, although there is now a railway station and a village grown up near by, and also a post office, all bearing the name of Irving.
Iuka - The name by which the present city of Tama was known from its beginning in 1862 for a few years. Iuka was also the name of the post office from 1863 to 1860.
Janesville - A place in the eastern part of Otter Creek Township about six miles east of Toledo, as shown on maps of 1850.
Kars - A post office from 1877 to 1880 in the southeastern part of Carlton Township.
Kinisaw - A post office (1854-64) shown on the earlier maps in the western part of Salt Creek Township on the north side of the Iowa River about one mile southwest of the present town of Chelsea, but on later maps on the south side of the river and about two miles southeast of Chelsea.
Midland - A post office (1888-1902) in section 8, Geneseo Township.
Monticello - A village in the southeast corner of section 33, Howard Township, three miles north and one mile west of Toledo, as shown on maps from 1856 to 1885.
Mooreville - A village in the eastern part of section 24, Geneseo Township. Post office, 1871-1900.
Oakwood - A post office for a part of 1868 in the southern part of Lincoln Township.
Ola - A post office (1854-63) in the northern part of Columbia Township, and about two miles south of the present city of Tama. See Columbia above.
Orford - The former name of the present town of Montour. Orford was also the name of the post office from 1865 to 1871.
Otter Creek - Another name for the present town of Chelsea, as appears by maps of 1863.
Potter - A post office (1882-1906) in Indian Village Township.
Ramona - Listed as a post office in Tama County from 1888 to 1890, but the location not found.
Redman - A village in the eastern part of section 25, York Township, on the Benton County line. Post office, 1854-63.
Salt Creek - A post office (1893-94) and hamlet in the east central part of Salt Creek Township, near the Benton County line.
Spring Creek - A post office (1857-60) in section 32, Spring Creek Township.
Tamaville - A post office (1855-63) in the southeastern part of Otter Creek Township, about seven miles east of the present city of Tama.
Unionville - A place in the southwestern part of Spring Creek Township, as appears on maps of 1862.
Vineyard - A post office (1870-77) in the eastern part of section 29, Carlton Township.
Waltham - A hamlet in the central part of section 3, York Township, three miles northwest of the present town of Elberon. Post office, 1863-94.
West Irving - The name of the post office from 1858 to 1875 at the village of Irving, which see above.
West Union - A village in the central part of section 11, Perry Township, about one mile east of the present town of Traer, as shown on maps of 1875.
Wolf Creek - A post office (1857-73) slightly northeast of the central part of Perry Township, and a short distance southeast of the present town of Traer.

Source:ABANDONED TOWNS, VILLAGES AND POST OFFICES OF IOWA - By David C. Mott
Submitted by Dennis Danielson



Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.