Agency - A place shown on the early maps of the 1850's in the same location as Old Mission (which see below), as shown on later maps.
Alba - See New Alba below.
Aquilla Grove - See Springwater below.
Burr Oak Springs - A post office (1858-64) in the northeastern part of Sumner Township, or the northwestern part of Calmar Township.
Canoe - A post office (1857-1905, including two intermissions) in section 26, Canoe Township, on Canoe Creek.
Clifton - A post office in section 35, Fremont Township, near the location where later stood the village of Plymouth Rock, which see below.
Eide - A post office (1876-81) in section 23, Pleasant Township.
Franklin Prairie - A post office from 1857 to 1864 in the northern part of section 18, Canoe Township.
Hyde - A post office (1886-89) in section 19, Frankville Township.
Isted - Listed as a post office in Winneshiek County from 1890 to 1895, but its location not found.
Jamestown - See Trout River below.
Lewiston - A town in the northeastern part of section 28, Washington Township, or about one mile north of Old Mission (which see below). It contended for the county seat in 1851, but failing in that, its existence was brief.
Locust Lane - The same as the present village of Locust. Locust Lane was the name of the post office from 1857 to 1883.
Marysville - The pioneer name of the present town of Calmar.
Moneek - An important village on both sides of the line between sections 1 and 2, Bloomfield Township, and about midway of that line as to north and south. Post office, 1851-64. It was an aspirant for the county seat in 1851.
Morgan - A post office (1857-66) in section 8, Orleans Township.
New Alba - A post office (1861-81) in the northern part of section 20, Jackson Township, It ran as Alba a few months in 1861 previous to the change of the name to New Alba.
Old Mission - A post office (1850-82) in the northwestern part of section 34, Washington Township, about five miles southeast of Fort Atkinson and on the west bank of the Turkey River. The noted Winnebago Indian school and mission was located in the southeast quarter of the northeast quarter of section 33, just a short way southwest of the Old Mission post office.
Orleans - Listed as a post office in Winneshiek County from 1854 to 1857, but its location not found.
Plymouth Rock - A village platted in 1855 in the southern part of I section 35, Fremont Township, on the south side of the Upper Iowa River. Post office, 1856-1907.
Sampson - Listed as a post office in Winneshiek County In 1893 and 1894, but its location not found.
Springwater - A hamlet in section 24, Canoe Township, on the north side of Canoe Creek. Its post office was Aquilfa Grove from 1856 to 1864, and was Springwater from 1864 to 1896.
Thoten - A post office (1870-1903) in section 14, Glenwood Township.
Trout River - A village in the central part of Frankville Township. Its post office was Jamestown from 1851 to 1852, but was called Trout River from 1852 to 1855.
Twin Springs - The name of the post office at the present village of Kendallville from 1856 to 1874.
Twin Springs - The present village of Festina in Washington Township was platted as Twin Springs in 1850, but the name was later changed to the name of its post office, Festina.
Willimantic - A post office from 1856 to 1858 and from 1861 to 1863 in section 23, Fremont Township.
Winneshiek - A post office (1851-65) in the southeastern part of Bloomfield Township.
Woodside - A post office (1870-80) in .section 8, Frankville Township.
Woodville - A post office (1866-87) in the western part of section 26, Greenwood Township.
Source:ABANDONED TOWNS, VILLAGES AND POST OFFICES OF IOWA - By David C. Mott
Submitted by Dennis Danielson
Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.