Delbert M. Fisher, 83, formerly of 22 W. Broadway, died Monday, Dec. 23, at Countryside Estates where he had resided since November 1984. He was born Nov, 1, 1902, in Bronaugh, Mo., the son of Lee and Pearl Glover Fisher. He was raised on farms in Missouri and Oklahoma and as a young man was employed in Texas. From 1941 to 1946, he worked as a security police officer at the Pudget Sound Naval Shipyards in Bremerton, Wash., and later in the transportation department transporting service men along the coast from Alaska to California. On April 6, 1945, he married Bertha Mae James in Bremerton. They returned to Iola in 1946. Mrs. Fisher died March 22, 1982. Fisher was employed by the Bell Furniture Store until he retired. He was a scorekeeper at the Country Lanes Bowling Alley. He was a member of Calvary Methodist Church. Survivors include a sister, Ina Mae Fisher of Mountain Home, Ark. and several nieces and nephews including Lovanda Preston, Howard James and Ivan Strickler, all of Iola. A brother, Claude, and sister, Coba, are deceased. The funeral will be 1:30 p.m. Thursday in Wuagh-Yokum Chapel. The Rev. Arthur Mix will officiate. Burial will be in the Iola Cemetery. Memorials to Calvary United Methodist Church may be left at the church or Waugh-Yokum and Friskel Memorial Chapels, which are in charge of arrangements. (The Iola Register, December 24, 1985, submitted by Cheryl King)


Mrs. Rutledge Died Last Night

Was A Early Settler of Iola – Here Since 1865

Nancy E. Rutledge, wife of Thomas J. Rutledge, died at the Allen county hospital at 3 o’clock this morning. Death was not unexpected, as she was not expected to live through an operation performed last Friday morning. Late yesterday afternoon she began to sink and death came quickly.

Mr. and Mrs. Rutledge were among the early settlers of this city and were closely identified with it’s growth. Mr. Rutledge came here in 1859, prepared a home and returned to Illinois where he married Miss Kelly. They returned to Iola in 1865 and have made their home here ever since. They have lived in their home at 502 South Sycamore for years.

Mrs. Rutledge is survived by three sons, and two daughters and her husband. Two of the sons are in Neodesha, but will be in Iola this afternoon. Mr. Will Rutledge, water and light superintendent, is the third son and Mrs. George Thompson and Mrs. Ayling, her daughters, live here, as does Mr. Rutledge. Mrs. Rutledge was in her sixty-first year.

Funeral services will be held from the first Methodist church tomorrow at 2 p.m. Rev. Dr. Murphy will officiate.

Nancy Ellen Kelly was born November 24, 1845, in Scott county, Illinois, emigrating just prior to the war, moving to Allen county, Kansas, in 1862, returning to Illinois in 1863.

Married to Thomas J. Rutledge October 17, 1865, near Virden, Sangamon county, Illinois, returning immediately to Kansas where she has resided ever since.

She leaves her husband, three sons, William E., J. Franklin and J. Milton, two daughters, Mrs. S. Lois Ayling and Mrs. Carrie Thompson and thirteen grandchildren to mourn her departure.

Mrs. Rutledge joined the Methodist Episcopal Church at the age of 16 and has lived a consistent Christian life during all these years. (The Iola Daily Record, Monday, January 21, 1907, transcribed by Judy Mayfield)


Mrs. J.F. Rutledge Died Yesterday of Consumption

Mrs. J.F. Rutledge of 414 S. Oak street, died yesterday morning at 4:30 o’clock. Death was caused by consumption. Mrs. Rutledge had lived in Iola for a number of years and before her marriage was Miss Elizabeth Williams, the daughter of H.W. Williams who is remembered by all the old settlers.

Mrs. Rutledge leaves a husband, several small children, and a sister, Mrs. Oscar Cowan, who have the sincere sympathy of all friends in their sorrow.

The funeral will be held today in the First Methodist church at 2 p.m. The Rev. Mason officiating. (Iola Daily Index, Wednesday, October 14, 1908, submitted by Judy Mayfield)


Walter Junior King, 62, of 123 Bridge St., Humboldt, was found dead at his home Tuesday morning, April 17. He had been in failing health for a short period of time.

He was born May 27, 1921, six miles west of Humboldt, to Walter and Violet (Oliver) King. He was a lifetime resident of Humboldt, and a veteran of WW II.

He is survived by twosisters, Mary Notaro of Wichita, and Pauline Huffmaster of Humboldt. He also leaves three nieces.

He was preceded in death by two brothers, Forrest and Lester King.

Funeral services for Mr. King were held Thursday, April 19, at the Price-Stanley Funeral Home in Humboldt with the Rev. David D. Miller officiating. Burial will follow in Mount Hope Cemetery.

Price-Stanley Funeral Home of Humboldt was in charge of arrangements. (The Humboldt Union, Wednesday, April 25, 1984, page 8, submitted by Judy Mayfield)



The Death of R. W. Acers of Iola, Kan., at 95

IOLA, KAS., Jan. 2 --- Roswell W. Acers died here last night. He was 95 years old. He came to Kansas in 1868 from Illinois. He drilled the first gas well here in 1872 and found gas enough in a shallow well to illuminate the premises. R. W. Acers was the father of Nelson F. Acers, Second district nominee for Congress on the Democratic ticket in 1882, internal revenue collector for Kansas and Oklahoma under President Cleveland.
(Kansas City Star ~ January 2, 1904 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


Mrs. Martha Carlye departed this life May 10th at the home of her daughter on North Cottonwood, Mrs. Maggie Burgess. She was a loving mother and a faithful member of the A.M.E. Church at the time of her death. She was 79 years, 8 months and 6 days old. She leaves five daughters, two sons, several grand-children and a host or relatives and friends to mourn her demise. The funeral exercises were conducted from the A.M.E. Church on Thursday, May 12, at 2:30 p.m., Rev. Shepherd officiating.
(Plaindealer ~ May 22, 1908 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)



IOLA, KAS., Jan 2. --- J. W. Heylmun, 90 years old, pioneer who formerly lived in Kansas City and who made the survey of the Kansas City Southern Railway, died at his home here last night of influenza. For several years Mr. Heylmun was police judge of Fort Scott.
(Kansas City Star ~ January 2, 1919 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)



Tragic Death of the Well-Known Kansas Democratic Leader

IOLA, KAN., Sept 25. --- Colonel W. C. Jones, the noted Democratic leader and ex-United States marshal of Kansas, drover yesterday morning to his farm about five miles from here, and had passed through the gate into a wooded pasture, when the spirited horse he was driving became frightened and ray away, throwing him against a tree in such a way as to break one leg and crush the skull.

Physicians were summoned as soon as possible, but the injured man died without showing any signs of consciousness. A young man who was with him jumped from the cart and escaped unhurt.

Colonel Jones came to Kansas City in 1860, settling in Allen county. When the war began he enlisted in the Tenth Kansas regiment and was made captain. Afterward he became major and in that capacity he served until the close of the war. Later he was made lieutenant colonel of the Eighteenth Kansas, a regiment organized to fight Indians who had invaded Kansas and were laying waste the country.

April 6, 1883, Colonel Jones was appointed warden of the state penitentiary, in which position he continued until April 1, 1885, when he resigned. In 1884 he was a delegate to the national Democratic convention, which nominated Grover Cleveland for President the first term.

April 5, 1885, President Cleveland appointed Colonel Jones United States marshal for the district of Kansas and he held the office until 1889. In 1890 he was chairman of the Democratic state central committee and managed the campaign of ex-Governor Charles Robinson. He was chairman again in 1892, but that year his party had no ticket in the field and his duties were little more than nominal.

In 1892 Colonel Jones was again a delegate to the national Democratic convention and voted for Grover Cleveland. Upon Mr. Cleveland's re-election he sought again to be United States marshal, but Senator John Martin favored Dr. S. F. Neeley for the place, and Colonel Jones lost, although W. C. Perry, who had been United States attorney, and G. W. Glick, who had been pension agent during Mr. Cleveland's first term secured their old places.

Colonel Jones took this as an affront and although he mixed with the Democrats as usual, when he happened to be in Topeka he seldom visited the capitol and had almost disappeared from priorities at the time of his death.

Colonel Jones owned a farm near Iola, and his affairs are in pretty good condition, if property managed. He left a widow and three children. His oldest, a son, he had just placed at the state university. His second is a daughter of 14 and his third a boy of 8 or 10.
(Leavenworth Herald ~ September 28, 1895 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)



In Iola, Kas., Joseph Otten Shot Himself to Death Yesterday

IOLA, KAS., May 18 --- Joseph Otten, formerly manufacturer of soft drinks, shot himself to death this afternoon. A few weeks ago he sold his business, retaining his real estate only, and expected to spend the rest of his life in ease. Otten formerly owned a restaurant in Kansas City. He was well to do.
(Kansas City Star ~ May 19, 1909 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


Mrs. Amanda McClure Thrasher widow of the late Captain L. A. Thrasher died at her home 515 South Washington Avenue, at 4:15 o'clock yesterday afternoon in the 88th year of her age. The funeral services will be held at the home at 2:30 o'clock Sunday afternoon, and will be conducted by Rev. H. G. Mathia D.D.', of the First Presbyterian church.

Amanda McClure was born at New Carlisle, Ohio, May 11, 1838, the oldest child of Mr. & Mrs. Thomas McClure. She received an excellent education, in music as well as along the usual literary lines, and when she became a young women engaged in the profession of teaching, holding a responsible position on the faculty of a Young Ladies Seminary. In 1869 she followed other members of the family to Kansas and for three years made her home with her brother, the late W.H. McClure, who had settled on a farm in Cariyle, neighborhood. During this time she taught music, not only having many private pupils on the organ (there were no pianos in the neighborhood then) but also teaching vocal music in the Carlyle public schools. It is common now for schools to employ a musical director, but it was not common then and the carlyle school with Prof. David Smith as the teacher the first common school in Allen County and quite possibly the first in Kansas to employ a music teacher.

In 1872 Miss McClure became the wife of the late Captain L.A. Thrasher and with him located in the town of Florence of which Captain Trasher was one of the founders. After practicing his profession as civil engineer for several years Captain Thrasher entered the service of the Government as an Internal Revenue Agent in which service he attained a conspicious and honorable position and in which he was still engaged at the time of his death. November 15, 1903. While Captain and Mrs. Thrasher always regarded Iola as their home the exigencies of the public service required them much of the time to reside temporarily elsewhere and at different times the family lived at Lawrence, in San Francisco, in the city of Washington and in various other places.

Two children were born to Captain and Mrs. Thrasher. Luther and Sarah. The former died in San Francisco by his own hand, taking his life in a fit of despondency August 27, 1901. and the latter after an unfortunate marriage which was terminated by divorce passed away after a long illness September 29, 1915.

Left wholly alone by the death of her husband and her two children Mrs. Thrasher continued to make her home in Iola wit Miss Rose Dodd as her housekeeper and companion, and visited frequently by relatives and old time friends, and facing with great courage what was in spite of all that friends could do, a very sad and lonely old age. (Unknown source, 1924, submitted by Kyle M. Condon)


Doris L. Thrasher, 424 South Street, died this morning, Nov. 18, at Allen County Hospital. She was 76 years old.

She was born Sept. 11, 1911, in Peabody, the daughter of George and Cora Taggert Milne. She moved to Iola in the early 1930s. On Jan. 12, 1943, she married Edwin "Mick" Thrasher in Baltimore, Md. He died in 1981.

Mrs. Thrasher was a Methodist.

Survivors include a brother, Kenneth Milne of Tucson, Ariz., and a sister, Betty Henley, El Dorado Hills, Calif.

Funeral arrangement will be ammounced later by Waugh-Yokum and Friskel Memorial Chapels. (Unknown source, November 18, 1987, submitted by Kyle M. Condon)


Edwin L. "Mick" Thrasher, 424 South St., died Wednesday, Jan. 28 at Allen County Hospital after a short illness. He was 76.

Born Sept. 7, 1904, he was the son of Ralph and Sadie(Kelly) Thrasher. He was a guard at Lansing Prison before he entered the U.S. Army in 1942. While in the Army he was with the military police and served in the Pentagon. After he returned to Iola, he operated a milk route for Pet Milk company. He later was employed by the Kansas Highway Department and then the Durite Company where he retired due to poor health.

Mr. Thrasher was a Methodist. He was a member of the American Legion Post No. 15 and BPO Elks No. 569 of Iola.

On Jan. 12, 1943, he was united in marriage to Doris L. Milne in Baltimore, Md. She survives at the home.

A half brother, Jay Thrasher, preceded him in death.

Graveside services will be conducted in the Iola Cemetery at 11 a.m. Friday. Dr. William Baldwin will officiate.

Friend may call at the Friskel Memorial Chapel which is in charge of arrangements. (Unknown source, January 28, 1981, submitted by Kyle M. Condon)


Mrs. Ralph W. Thrasher, of 217 West Jackson Avenue, died this afternoon at 1:10 o'clock after an illness of about nine months with sciatic rheumatism. The funeral will be held from the house tomorrow afternoon at three o'clock. Rev. Smith of the U.B. church will officiating . Interment will be in the old cemetery. (Sadie Thrasher) (The Iola Daily Register, April 29, 1910, submitted by Kyle M. Condon)


Cecil Bartlett, 38, a brother of Russell Bartlett, of Hutchinson, died Tuesday at his home in Moran, Kas. He operated a service station there for years. (Hutchinson News Herald - Hutchinson, Reno County, Kansas, Thursday, September 14, 1944, page 10, column 5, submitted by Rose Stout)



Resident of Allen County Over Thirty Years Died Yesterday.

Mrs. Adam Barnhart, of the country six miles northwest of the city died yesterday afternoon at 4o'clock of pneumonia, with which she had been ill but five days. Mr Barnhart, who was a women of eighty five years of age; had been failing in health for some time as the result of stomach trouble, but had been feeling in better sprits until last Thursday when she complained of illness. On Friday, though ill, she was up and around as usual, but in the afternoon she suffered a fainting spell and since that time has been in a dangerous condition. Mrs. Barnhart was among the very prominent old settlers of the county, having come here over thirty years ago. She is survived by her husband Adam Barnhart. , of ot the prominent farmers of the county, besides the following sons and daughters: Emma, Ida, John Ed and Simon, all of whom reside at the family home, and Walter and Lonon, who are now living in Oregon. The funeral will be held tomorrow afternoon at two o'clock from the M.E. Church in Piqua. Dr. S.S. Hillscher officiating. Interment will be in the Piqua Cemetery (1-17-1912 - submitted by Kyle M. Condon)


Back to Index Page
Copyright © to Kansas Genealogy Trails' Allen County host & all Contributors
  All rights reserved