Atchison County, Kansas



George Garrison Pickett, descendent of Hiram Wright Pickett.... Transcribed & submitted by Sue & Verlin Wichman

This is a news story from the Effingham New Leaf, published in Effingham, KS, dated June 17, 1932. (Effingham is located in Atchison County, KS.)

Grim Tragedy in Effingham

Geo G. Pickett Murders His Wife, Then Commits Suicide
Effingham people are shocked by the terrible tragedy that occurred Wednesday, when Geo Pickett murdered his wife about 5 a. m., and nearly noon committed suicide.

Mr. Pickett used a hatchet to hit his wife two blows in the forehead, one of which cut a gash and broke her nose, but the blows did not kill her, as H.S. Youngberg, undertaker, says evidence showed she had fought him. With a knife he had severed the jugular veins and arteries in her throat. In fact he had made slashes almost around to her spine. She had been stabbed in the chest and her hands cut, which leads Mr. Youngberg to believe there had been a struggle.

The bloody finger prints of his hands were left on the foot of the bed, so the murderer had evidently stood there and watched his victim die.

Mr. Pickett was 67 years old, his wife 53.

After murdering his wife Pickett wrote a letter to his daughter Mrs. Lena Ablett, of Des Moines, Iowa, the Pickett’s former home, where they had been married in April. He also wrote a note to his sister.

This was Mr. Pickett’s seventh marriage, and it is believed Mrs. Pickett had been married twice before. Pickett had obtained four divorces, one wife committed suicide, and one died a natural death.

Pickett and his wife had had troubles, according to remarks each had made to outsiders. Two suitcases, a trunk, and suitbox were neatly packed with her clothing, and a number of pieces of linen and bedding were laid out ready to be packed, which leads people to believe she was preparing to leave him. One suitcase was locked. The lock was broken by Mr. Youngberg, upon orders of Wm Stanton, Sr. who was acting coroner for his son Wm. Jr.

The final link leading to the tragedy seems to have been a $50 bill that Pickett gave his wife several days ago but which she would not return when he asked for it.

Wednesday morning after the tragedy Pickett had evidently made a thorough search of the rooms to find the money, but failed in the search. Around $8 in small change was found in purses and small banks. A bag containing old coins property of Mrs. Pickett was also found.

About 8 a.m. Pickett went to the depot and telegraphed two tickets to the daughter mentioned above and her husband saying “Come at once you are badly needed.

He gave Mr. Panzeram a $20 gold piece. Mr. Panzeram didn’t have the change, so Pickett went up town and got change, then returned and paid for the tickets.

Geo Regan, a nearby neighbor, had been told to come over that afternoon and get some steel and iron, that Pickett had been collecting. Mr. Regan went but found the screens hooked and the doors locked from the inside.

That evening, Mr. Regan met Mr. Panzeram on the street, told him there had been no signs of life around the Pickett home all day and asked if they had bought tickets out of town. Mr. Panzeram recalling the telegram decided some investigating should be done at once, so he, Mr. Regan, Rob’t Flemming, undersheriff; John Trompeter, Henry Potts, Ralph Snyder, Lee Beard and LeRoy Bishop broke in a door and entered the house.

Mrs. Pickett was covered in the bed. The sheet was smeared with blood. Mr. Pickett had gone into an adjoining small room, laid down on the floor pushed the trigger of the shot gun with a cane. The body could have been seen from an outside window.

The day before the tragedy, Pickett took the gun to Mr. Regan and told him to fix it, saying he wanted to kill some sparrows. A rifle was found in the house.

Mr. Pickett had washed the blood from the knife and hatchet, but had left some on the latter. The knife had been replaced in a table drawer. It was a long handled knife with a short blade.

Prior to his last marriage the deceased man had purchased a home from the late John Wardlow, for $500, from a newspaper advertisement without seeing the property. According to one of his daughters Mr. Pickett at this time had $800.

Pickett had no employment since coming to Effingham. He did some gardening and had been looking for a real estate trade to secure a larger garden plot. That he might have had some experience in wood carving is evidenced by the fact that a large number of clubs of the police type had been cut by him in recent months and a wooden chain with moveable links, about 103 feet in length, had been carved from pieces of lumber and draped around the room.

Cancelled papers in the home showed that at some time Mrs. Pickett had been drawing a pension of $14 per month. Both carried insurance and recent payments had been made. Mrs. Pickett had also recently deposited $900 in a local bank.

Henry Potts, a neighbor, and E. C. Donahoo, who happened to be at the Potts home, heard a shot around 10 a.m. and they believe it was at that time he concluded his terrible deed.

The furnishings of Pickett home are meager, but everything is neat and clean.

Both evidently had been collectors of trinkets. Among the effects were four ladies watches, two of them were small gold watches, the other were wrist watches; and there were several rings.

Among Mr. Pickett’s collections were also found a large packet of newspaper clippings of nefarious and atrocious crimes, which he had collected and evidently studied.

Mr. Pickett mentioned “another man” in one of his notes. A letter written by someone signed “Charles” was found and read by Effingham people. In the letter she had been addressed in endearing terms and the letter closed in an affectionate manner.

A half-brother of Mrs. Pickett’s came from Kansas City, Friday. He gave Mr. Youngberg the addresses of two of her sisters in Des Moines, Iowa, who were telegraphed and they asked that her body be sent there by Stutz & Shifflett for burial, and their local undertaker came for the body.

Mr. Pickett requested that he be buried in Effingham and that Mrs. Pickett people decide as to her burial place.

Mr. Pickett had laid a suit, in which he was to be buried, on the bed.

Effingham people who had visited the scene of the tragedy say both of the deceased people had an abundant supply of good clothing, more than is usually found in most homes.

Four daughters of Mr. Pickett and the husband of one arrived in Effingham, Friday morning. For eighteen years he had not spoken to any of the daughters, except the one to whom he sent the telegram.

W. H. Sells was appointed administrator of the estate by Judge DeDual, Friday, so that arrangements could be made for the burial, and the disposition of the personal property.

The four daughters who came to Effingham had never seen their step-mother and knew nothing whatever about her or her family. Letters found in the home, mentioned something about her daughter.

Mr. Pickett’s daughters who came to Effingham, knew very little of his activities after he and their own mother, his first wife, separated. They lived together eighteen years, and upon their separation in 1912, she was given the custody of the minor children.

In looking over the old family album, many happy memories were recalled when the mother, father and eight children lived on a ranch in Iowa, and they asked for the pictures. Accompanying the Pickett children to Effingham, were some of their friends. All, with the exception of Mr. and Mrs. Ablett, returned home Friday evening. The two mentioned remained until the remains were interred in the Evergreen cemetery, Saturday morning.

According to records found in the home, the deceased was of the Seventh Day Adventist faith.

He was a man of the non committal type, who talked very little. His son-in-law who had been in the family eighteen years, declared he didn’t know him any better at the end of that time than the day he entered the family.

At the grave, Rev. Bartlett Hess held a short service.

Pallbearers were W. H. Sells, Lee Beard, Fred Stutz, Geo. Regan, Henry Potts and Rob’t Flemming.

Note: I attempted to type this story as it was printed in the Effingham New Leaf with no corrections in sentence structure, spelling, or punctuation. Sue Wichman, November 2007

This is part of the news story that was published in the Effingham New Leaf June 17, 1932.

A half-brother of Mrs. Pickett’s came from Kansas City, Friday. He gave Youngberg the addresses of two of her sisters in Des Moines, Iowa, who were telegraphed and they asked that her body be sent there by Stutz & Shifflett for burial, and their local undertaker came for the body.

Mr. Pickett requested that he be buried in Effingham and that Mrs. Pickett’s people decide as to her burial place.
Mr. Pickett had laid a suit, in which he was to be buried, on the bed.

Note: (From Verlin Wichman) - The news story that was published in the Effingham New Leaf June 17, 1932. Effingham is in Atchison County Kansas. Effingham is located about 15 miles east of Holton where Sue and I live. We went to Atchison Thursday Nov. 1, 07. We visited some of the historical places there. While at the old railroad station I visited with a volunteer there. I told him of my search for family history and also my search for the burial place of George G. Pickett. He said that the local library there in Atchison had a nice Genealogy Section. Sue my willing wife said O.K. As we knew about the time of George’s death that helped. The first thing Sue came up with was some books that had been compiled by the Atchison County Historical Society. Sue found one for the Evergreen Cemetery in Effingham. George G. Pickett is listed in that book as “George C. Pickett” ,( C.),Death as 6-8-1932 68yrs. (6-8-1932--June 8, 1932 ) Sue and I have walked that cemetery in Effingham but found no stone. That doesn’t mean there is one. We didn’t try to locate the Cemetery Sexton . The Evergreen Cemetery is one of two in Effingham. I’ll at some point try to get the whole story typed up. We found the news story on microfilm. The library had several rolls of film, some were for the Effingham New Leaf for the weekly newspaper stories Jan , 1931 thru 1935. My wife also found these.

( As to George's age.. the cemetery transcription has him 68 yrs. old. The newspaper 67 yrs. old. )

The Evergreen Cemetery is located in Effingham , Atchison County, Kansas. Benton TWP

Transcribed & Submittted by Verilin and Sue Wichman

George G. Pickett as it appeared in the Atchison Daily Globe June 12, 1932. ATCHISON DAILY GLOBE
June 12(?), 1932


George G. Pickett Sends Telegram and Ticket to Daughter at Des Moines After Slaying Wife


Shot Heard About 11:00 O’Clock Yesterday

Mrs. Pickett's Throat Cut to the Bone With Picket Knife

Pickett Shoots Self in Neck With Shotgun Pushing Trigger With Cane
For the second time in as many days, Atchison County figured in a double tragedy. It was revealed last night when alarmed neighbors broke down the door of the George G. Pickett residence in Effingham to find the bodies of Pickett and his wife—Mrs. Pickett the victim of an attack with a hatchet and pocket knife and her husband a suicide. They had both died before noon. The discovery was made after 8 o-clock.

Petty bickering had prompted Pickett, about 70 years of age, to kill his wife as she lay asleep, and to commit suicide, according to a letter that he left for daughter, Mrs. Lena Ablett of Des Moines, the Pickett’s former home. Mrs. Pickett was several years her husband’s junior.

Pickett started the letter at 5:30 o’clock yesterday morning, in which he told of trouble that he and his wife had had and of his desire to make a settlement with her and to mortgage their property in Effingham and give her half of the money realized. Bags were packed in the house at the time of the tragedy, indicating that either one or both of the Picketts were preparing to leave.

The final link leading up to the tragedy seems to have been a $50 bill that Pickett gave his wife several days ago but which she would not return, according to the contents of the letter. Pickett stated in the letter that he asked for it again “this morning” (yesterday). Effingham people who discovered the tragedy, however, are of the opinion that Mrs. Pickett was attached without being awakened from her night’s sleep.

“This morning I asked it again,” Pickett wrote, “and she refused so I went in on her with the hatchet then cut her throat.”

Pickett then wrote that he would go to the depot to telegraph Mrs. Ablett and to send her railroad transportation to Effingham. Here is an apparent break in the letter.

Pickett filed the following telegram to Mrs. Ablett at 7:30 o’clock yesterday morning with H. C. Panzeram, Missouri Pacific agent at Effingham. “You are needed. Come at once.”

He presented a $20 gold piece in payment for tickets for Mr. and Mrs. Ablett from Des Moines to Effingham, and when the station agent couldn’t make change Pickett went to the D. Richter store, where he had a $10 bill changed.

In the transaction, Mr. Richter asked Pickett if he had made an intended real estate trade by which he expected to get more garden space. Pickett, who appeared unusually white and shaken, replied that he was “done with everything.”

The letter is again taken up apparently after Pickett returned from the depot and the dispute over the $50 bill is mentioned as well as another minor disagreement.

“It is nearly 9:00 o’clock,” Pickett concluded. “Must go and use the shot gun.” An erasure occurs on the last word in the letter and what appears to be the word “noon” is written in a heavier hand.

Another letter addressed to Mrs. A. S. Gish, Chehalis, Wash. Contained the following message, “Sister Amanda, I have started something I will soon finish. I wrote you a card just after I came here and got no answer. Hoping all well. G. G. P.”

Harry Potts and other neighbors said that they heard a shot from within the Pickett house around 11 o’clock yesterday morning. When no evidences of life were seen all day around the house and none last evening, a group of Effingham men including Bob Flemming, deputy sheriff, John Trompeter, H Panzeram, Henry Potts, Ralph Snyder, Lee Beard, George Regan and LeRoy Bishop, broke down the back door of the fully-locked five room house.

Mrs. Pickett was in her night clothing in a bed in the northwest room. She had apparently been struck over the left temple near the eye with the blunt edge of the hatchet, and again down the middle of the forehead with the sharp edge. Her throat had been cut clear to the spinal column with a pocket knife, and in the opinion of Harry Youngberg, Effingham undertaker, this resulted in death from loss of blood rather than the blows on the head. Indications were that Mrs. Pickett did not die immediately.

The body of Pickett was found in an adjoining southeast room where he had made a pallet for himself on the floor. He had tripped the trigger of a .12 gauge shot gun with a cane, the charge entering his neck at the left side, severing the jugular vein.

Pickett carefully washed the blood stains from both the hatchet and the knife.


The only information that can be gathered concerning the Pickett’s personal history comes from documents now in the hands of William Stanton, Sr. action coroner of Atchison County. Many Effingham persons did not know that a family of that name lived in the town: others had seen Pickett on the street making occasional staple purchases or going to the post office: while Mrs. Pickett seems to have been known only by a few neighbors.

According to the papers found in the house, Mrs. Ira May McDonough and George G. Pickett were married at Des Moines April 5, 1932. It was Pickett’s sixth matrimonial venture and at least his wife’s second.

She had been granted a divorce from George James in November 1929 by the Polk county district court at Des Moines. A memorial card bearing the name and date of “Arthur McDonough, October 28, 1926” might be that of either a brother or a previous husband.


Prior to his final marriage, Pickett had purchased for $400 the house in Effingham, located on the north side of the railroad tracks, from Joseph Wardlow, and the deed was in the hands of Atchison county authorities for registration February 18, 1932. Mr. and Mrs. Pickett apparently moved to Effingham shortly after their marriage. He had bought the property from a newspaper advertisement without having seen it.

A divorce petition filed in Polk County, July 16, 1912, gives the record of Pickett’s first marriage at Pleasantville, IA, February 22, 1894. There were eight children born to this union, and Mrs. Eliza Pickett was given custody of the minor children in a decree granted in December, 1912 at Des Moines.

Another marriage license was made out for George Pickett and Mrs. Isabella C. Smith, on February 16, 1914 at Des Moines. Then on May 23, 1916, George G. Pickett and Ann L. Lassere, the groom of Des Moines and the bride of Leeds, IA, were married at Dakota City, Neb.


There is no record of any divorce proceeding on these marriages in the papers found, but Pickett hit a matrimonial snag in 1917. On January 27 of that year he married Harriet S. Hutchins at Des Moines after they had signed a pre-nuptial agreement in which she transferred some Des Moines city property to him in exchange for a promise that he was to keep her in “comfort” for the rest of his life.

The divorce petition stated that Pickett had left her March 26, 1917.

Picket was next married on March 12, 1925, this time to Lydia M. Miller, and the ceremony was performed at Des Moines. There is no further evidence of the termination of this relationship.

Among Pickett’s effects was found a letter written him on May 14, 1932 by John J. Halloran, judge of the Ninth judicial district of Iowa, in which the matter of a divorce is discussed. It could not be learned from the contents of the letter, however, whether it referred to a contemplated divorce action or another in which some items of settlement had not been cleared up.


Pickett had had no employment since coming to Effingham. He did some gardening, and had been looking for a real estate trade to secure a larger garden plot. That he might have had some experience in wood carving is evidenced by the fact that a number of clubs of the police type had been cut out by him in recent months, and that a solid wooden chain with moveable links had been carved from a piece of lumber about 14 feet in length.

After viewing the bodies last night and taking under advisement the matter of an inquest, Mr. Stanton turned them over to Stutz and Shifflett. Relative of both Pickett and his wife are expected to start arriving in Effingham last this afternoon and early tomorrow. They are both survived by children.


Pickett had been married seven times, according to information received late this afternoon by The Globe from the Des Moines Register News Bureau. A marriage contracted with Emma Kimball of Lovilla, IA when Pickett was 20 years old, was not recorded in his personal papers.

Pickett had obtained three divorces and one wife committed suicide. His sixth divorce was granted in 1926 at which time he said: “I have trusted six women six times and every time I have been fooled”

He is quoted as saying upon the occasion of his seventh marriage in April of this year: “No cloud will darken this marriage. We’re moving out to Kansas. We’ve got a home out there and we’re going to make a new start.”

Pickett, according to information from Iowa was 67 and his wife was 53. (Transcribed & Submitted by Sue & Verlin Wichman)

4th of July Celebration

The Atchison Daily Globe, Atchison, KS, Friday June 16, 1899 page 4

A funny situation exists at Whiting that may be found in almost every country town. The people of Whiting will hold a Fourth of July celebration, when all the people will assemble in the park and talk of Griggsville, Ill. Every one in Whiting came from Griggsville and they think that no one is of any consequence who is not formerly of Griggsville. Muscotah makes fun of it, but how came about the Muscotah people? They came originally from Wisconsin, and look with contempt upon those hailing from any other state. (Submitted by Christine Walters)


A Kansas Clergyman's Wife Committed Suicide Last Night

Atchison, Kas., Oct. 10---The wife of the Rev. Charles Meeder of the Emmanuel Evangelical Church near Farmington this county, jumped into a cistern with her 8-year-old child about midnight last night and both were drowned. Mrs. Meeder had shown signs of insanity.
(Kansas City Star ~ October 10, 1900)



Tom Davis, a Politician Under Sentence for Forgery, Jumps a $5,000 Bail Bond, A Burglar Escapes, a Prominent Citizen Disappears and at an Inquest a Sensational Suicide Is Developed

Atchison, Kan., Nov. 10---Atchison is "enjoying" a potpourri of sensations today. Tom Davis, a farmer-politician of considerable local reputation, whom woman and wine led to forgery, and to conviction and sentenced to the penitentiary at a recent term of the District court, but who is at liberty on a $5,000 bond, pending a motion for a new trial, has fled to parts unknown, much to the chagrin of the sheriff and to the great sorrow of his bondsmen.

The neighborhood of Cummings, near here has been infested for somet time with burglars and numerous thefts of money, jewelry, fire alarms, etc., have been reported. Suspicion rested upon a tramp, who gave his name as George Cole. He was arrested yesterday by a deputy officer after resistance, and an attempt to shoot his captor. Upon his person was found three loaded revolvers, two knives, three razors, a bunch of keys and a job lot of watches, jewelry, silverware, handkerchiefs, pocket coins and about $20 in money. While bringing the desperado to this city he jumped through the car window and while the train was going at full speed, and was unharmed and made his escape.

Louis Lofte, a young man of this city, son of ex-Chief of Police Lofte, who has been in jail several months on the charge of highway robbery, but who is now out because of the unexplained disappearance of the prosecuting sitness, files sensational and serious charges against the sheriff and county physician, alleging cruelty and incompetency. He says prisoners are allowed but two meals a day and that the food is scanty in quantity and unwholesome in quality, and that the sanitary condition of the jail is indescribably horrible. Lofte says, regarding the incompetency of the jail physician, that one day while he was slightly ailing the physician insisted upon performing upon him an operation for appendicitis.

George Ada, a prominent citizen and proprietor of the Ada coal mines, where a large force is at work, has been missing for three weeks. There are two theories of his disappearane and protracted absence. One is that he has been robbed and murdered and his body concealed. The other is that he had become financially embarrassed and has fled the country. He was the treasurer of the Order of Foresters and had about $100 of that order's money in his possession. Mr. Ada has had the reputation of an honest and energetic citizen.

The body of Mrs. Gilliland of Center township, Marshall county, has been disinterred and an inquest held. Mrs. Gilliland was a beautiful young woman of most respectable connections and had been married only a year. Her sudden death raised the suspicions of murder, but the inquest developed the fact that she deliberately committed suicide. The following letter, dictated by the woman to her sister, was produced:

I confess I have taken arsenic to rid myself of the world. I loved another and to save a quarrel, I killed myself.

A 4-year-old girl baby, entirely nude, was left yesterday morning upon the front door steps of Mr. M. W. Kiper. Mrs. Kiper, who has no children of her own, will raise the child.
(Kansas City Times ~ November 13, 1895)


A Disinherited Girl, Once of Kansas, Claims 1-1/4 Million Dollars

Atchison, Kas., July 3---By the death of her father, W. T. Fleming in Philadelphia last Saturday, Miss Marie Fleming, formerly of Atchison, expected to become heir to 1-1/4 million dollars. If she gets the money, it will be the second time Miss Fleming has inherited a fortune, and she is now only 14 years old. Her mother was Kittie Everest, daughter of the late well-known Kansas lawyer, A. S. Everest and was married to W. T. Fleming of Philadelphia in 1880. After a few months they quarreled and at the end of three years were divorced. Marie, their only child, was adopted by her grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. A. S. Everest.

Mr. Fleming returned to the East, where he married again in six or seven years. From the time he left Atchison, when Marie was a baby, he never saw her again. Mrs. Fleming was married to Edward Fairfield, a traveling man, but they were divorced and Mrs. Everest took her daughter and granddaughter abroad for a few years. Mrs. Fairfield was married to H. L. Magee, general superintendent of the Wabash railroad. She now lives in St. Louis. Three doors away live her child and mother. A. S. Everest died in Atchison a few years ago and left $40,000 to his granddaughter, Marie Fleming.

W. T. Fleming died last December, leaving an estate of 8 million dollars. He was greatly prejudiced against his daughter, Marie Fleming and in his will tried to disinherit her. But lawyers now claim that by the death of her father, Marie becomes heir to one-fifth of the estate. Miss Fleming will be in Atchison next week and leave shortly afterward for Philadelphia with her lawyer, to straighten out her affairs.
(Kansas City Star ~ July 9, 1899)


A Drunken Farmer Kills a Woman and Is Felled with an Axe

ATCHISON, Feb. 5---James Nutt, a farmer, is dying from wounds received this morning at the hands of Mrs. Peyton after Nutt, in a drunked rage, had fatally shot her. The relations between the Nutt and Peyton families were strained.

Peyton lived on a farm eight miles from Nutt. Peyton was away from home and Nutt entered the house under the influence of liquor and ordered Mrs. Peyton to perepare something to eat, which she did. When Nutt finished eating he drew a revolver and said, "I'm going to kill you," at the same time firing three bullets into her body.

Coleman, the hired man, rushed in with an axe, when Nutt fired two shots into him. He fell and by superhuman effort Mrs. Peyton seized the axe and rained several blows on Nutt's head.

Mrs. Peyton and Nutt will both die, but Coleman will recover. Nutt killed Lawyer W. W. Duke, in Uniontown, Pa., nearly 25 years ago, and was acquitted.
(Idaho Stateman ~ February 6, 1895)


Arrington, Kas., Aug. 15---Frank Case, an insurance agent and deal in agricultural implements here, committed suicide at his home this morning by shooting himself. He had been sick for some months.
(Kansas City Star ~ August 15, 1898)


ATCHISON, KAN., Aug. 20---On Sunday evening at 7 o'clock, Bill Scroggs, a worthless fellow living near Oak Hill, in this county, shot and instantly killed J. Oliphant, an old and prominent citizen. Three years ago Scroggs eloped with and married a daughter of Oliphant. He abused her shamefully, and she left him some time ago, returning to her father's house, where she has since lived. On Sunday evening, Scroggs went to Oliphant's house and asked to see his wife. Oliphant refused to admit him, when Scroggs drew a pistol and fired, the ball striking Oliphant in the right breast, inflicting a wound which terminated his life in a short time. Scroggs at once started to Oak Hills, but was soon overtaken by a party of four who wanted to arrest him. Scroggs refused to submit to arrest, and fired on the party, one ball striking John Groff, a respectable farmer, in the left breast, killing him instantly. Scroggs then went to the residence of Mr. Waddell, a justice of the peace, and surrendered himself. This morning at 8:30 o'clock a mob of men went to Waddell's house, where Scroggs was confined, took him out among the hills, and hanged him.
(Inter Ocean ~ August 21, 1877)

Cottage for Cripple Children

George T. Schaefer & Co. of Atchison were awarded the contract to erect a special cottage for cripple children at the State Soldiers' Orphans' home at Atchison. Their bid was $15,808. Tholen Bros. of Leavenworth were given the contract for the heating, wiring and electric apparatus for $2,182. (Alma, Wabaunsee County, Kansas October 23, 1908, page 3, submitted by Barbara Ziegenmeyer)


Former Gov. Glick of Kansas Is Dead from Accident

Atchison, Kan., April 13---Former Gov. G. W. Glick of Kansas died at his home here today. Mr. Glick had been ill for more than a year. On March 29, 1910, he broke his hip while at Lakeland, Fla., and it is this wound that eventually caused his death. He was governor of Kansas from 1883 to 1885.
(Grand Rapids Press ~ April 13, 1911)


A Kansas Farmer and His Hired Man in Custody

ATCHISON, KAS., June 12---Edward Siler and James Wiley have been arrested for the murder of W. W. Proctor on hi farm in the northwest part of this county a short time ago.

Siler was Proctor's nearest neighbor, their farms joining. The neighbors assert that Siler and Proctor were not on friendly terms, and that they had frequent wrangles over a line of fence and over Proctor's cattle trespassing on Siler's lands. These quarrels--coupled with conflicting stories and damaging statements made by Wiley, Siler's hired man, recently, while on a visit to Missouri, together with certain other facts in possession of the county attorney--were deemed of sufficient weight to justify the arrest of Siler and Wiley.

The theory of the murder now is that several weeks ago Proctor and Siler engaged in a quarrel. Both men being quick-tempered, they came to blows and in the altercation, Proctor was shot. His body was carried to his house, and his throat cut to create the impression that he had committed suicide.

Siler, who is well-to-do, came to Atchison county from Platte county, Mo., about eight years ago. He has always borne a good reputation. Wiley has also heretofore borne a good name, although but little is known of his antecedents.
(Kansas City Star ~ June 12, 1889)


Mrs. Louise Reynolds, a well-to-do widow at Atchison, who belongs to church, wears diamonds and is good looking, was recently found to be the person who has been trying to burn the town. She was dressed in man's clothes when caught. She pleaded to be permitted to put on a dress and while the policemen were waiting she shot herself through the lungs. She will live. She is undoubtedly crazy. (Sedan Lance, March 23, 1899, page 2)


A shocking tragedy occurred in Atkinson, Kansas on Monday, resulting in the death of two men. A negro named Monroe Amos entered a saloon and called for liquor. He was evidently drunk, and the barkeeper ordered him out. He went out to the sidewalk, where he began talking very loud and making threats. Policeman Lewis Chew came along and attempted to arrest him, when the negro took deliberate aim at the officer with a pistol and fired, shooting him through the abdomen. Chew fell, drew his revolver and shot the negro, the ball entering just above the heart. (San Francisco Bulletin, October 28, 1879, page 4)


Kansas Desperadoes Kill Two Men and Wound Two Others

Atchison, Kan., Oct. 23 - Two robbers Saturday night shot and killed one man and wounded another in a store at Doniphan, which they later robbed and yesterday ambushed and killed a policeman and wounded another man, both members of a posse pursuing them. The robbers are not surrounded six miles north of Atchison.

The robbers entered the store of Kucks at Doniphan Saturday night and at the point of revolvers ordered a number of men present to hold up their hands. The order was obeyed quickly, but Kucks and Brown son of the postmaster at Doniphan made a move to resist. Two pistols in the hands of the robbers cracked instantly. Brown fell dead where he stood and Kucks got a wound in his arm. This was the signal to flee and the store was cleared in a wink while the robbers hurriedly emptied the till and left.

A party made up of Atchison and Doniphan men all heavily armed, started out in the morning in search of the robbers. Late yesterday six miles north of Atchison they came upon the robbers unawares, the latter firing upon them from ambush. Robert Dickerson, an Atchison police officer, was shot and killed at the first volley, and before a successful rally could be made by the pursuers James Hays fell with a bullet in his arm. (Trenton Evening Times, October 23, 1899, page 3)


Kansas City, Kans., Special

On last Wednesday night Rev. Isaac Taylor was ordained to the ministry of the Gospel, and also Fry Huffman, Horace Radford and R. Knight, as deacons of the First Baptist Church, of this city. The ordination ceremonies were performed by the Rev. Dr. D. Jones, of the First Baptist Church, assisted by the Rev. Dr. P. C. Parker, of Rose Hill Baptist Church, and the Rev. Dr. J. A. D. Jenkins, of Mt. Carmel Baptist Church, of Kansas City, Mo. Dr. Jenkins preached the ordination sermon. The Rev. Issac Taylor will take charge of Mt. Olive Baptist Church, at Atchison, Kan. (Freeman ~ November 5, 1892 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


Personal: Owen E. Seip, brother of James M. Seip, who moved from this city to Kansas about sixteen years ago, has receive the republican nomination by acclamation for Sheriff of Atchison county. The Champion pays him a high compliment. We notice that George Seip was one of the Republican delegates from the First Ward of Atchison.[Lehigh Register, Wednesday, November 8, 1871, transcribed by VLHartman]



Atchison, Kas., Nov. 8----The grave of the late John J. Ingalls at Mount Vernon cemetery will be marked by a native boulder deposited in Kansas soil in the glacial period. This will be done in obedience to a letter written in the Senate chamber at Washington, December 10, 1890, to Mrs. Ingalls in Atchison. The letter follows:

The cold wave has passed off and the morning is like April. A few patches of snow lie on the grass and in the valley sof Northern roofs, but the pavements are clear and the clouds are steamy and still. The world is so lovely at its best, and life is so delightful, that I dread the thought of leaving it. I have seen and experienced so little of what may be seen and known that it seems like closing a volume of which I have only glanced at the title page. But so many are taking their leave, and I have already survived so large a number of my contemporaries, that I must contemplate my departure with the rest. I thought, as I lay in bed this morning, having waked early, what an uncivil host life is, to invite us to an entertainment which we are compelled to attend whether we like it or not, and then to unceremoniously take us by the arm and bow us out into the night, stormy and dismal, to go stumbling about without so much as a lantern to show us the way to another town. To continue in the same strain of reflection our ground in the cemetery should have a "monument." I hate these obelisks, urns and stone cottages and should prefer a great natural rock--one of the red boulders known as the "lost rocks" of the prairie--porphyry from the North---brought down in glacial times---with a small surface smoothed down---just large enough to make a tablet in which should be inserted the bronze letters of our name, "Ingalls," and nothing else.

A stone such as describred is now being sought.
(Kansas City Star ~ November 8, 1902)


Atchison, Kan., Nov. 9---Will Doughan, a Central Branch section man, drank a pint of scalding water at Effingham Saturday evening, and his daring, so totally devoid of judgment, may cost him his life. Doughan is a young man who has enjoyed the reputation of being considerable of a sprinter. On Saturday some of his fellow workmen planned a joke on him.

A bet of $3 was offered that he could not drink a pint of water, and run 163 yards while Daniel Brownson was running 200 yards. The bet was accepted, and the money put up. The scheme was to heat the water so hot that Doughan would forfeit the money. But Doughan was game and gulping down the scalding water, he jumped into the race and defeated Brownson with ease. Then his suffering began. Physicians were called and found his mouth, throat and tonsils badly burned. His friends, who had no idea that he would drink the water, took care of him all Saturday night and Sunday, and yesterday evening he was brought to Atchison on the Central Branch train to be taken to his home at Lancaster. While his condition was regarded by Effingham physicians as dangerous, and while he must have suffered greatly, his wonderful nerve enabled him to bear it all without any outward manifestation. Not a sigh or moan was heard from him during the five hours he occupied a cot in the waiting room at the Atchison union depot.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Friday ~ November 11, 1898)


Atchison, Kan., March 23---Samuel Dickson, Atchison's earliest settler, died here yesterday. The deceased was 82 years of age.

He was partly responsible for the location of a townsite here. In 1853, while living at Weston, Mo., Dickson had a friend in the United States Senate in the person of Allen T. Caperton, who informed him that Kansas would surely be opened for settlement the following year. Dickson began searching along the Missouri river for a location for a town and stopped when he arrived at the present townsite of Atchison.

He was a member of the original town company, having been one of the leading spirits in its organization. What is known as "Old Atchison" was the claim which Dickson sold to the town company.

Dickson was connected with Kansas history in several different ways. He was quite a politician in the early days, and held various offices, including that of sheriff. He was Atchison county's first teasurer. He was also a freighter across the plains, and afterward a merchant and also opened a mill. Dickson was a man of great activity. Three times his enterprises made him a rich man, but each time he lost his fortune, and died at least quite poor.

He was one of the original incorporators of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe railroad.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Tuesday ~ March 24, 1896)



Made the First Shipment of Kansas Flour to Europe, and a Well-Known Capitalist

Atchison, Kan., Dec. 6---John M. Cain, who made the first shipment of flour to Europe from Kansas, died at noon yesterday, of pneumonia. He was 58 years of age, and came to Atchison in 1856. He was poor when he came to Kansas, but rapidly accumulated wealth. He served through the war, and was afterward an Indian fighter.

Twenty-five years ago he opened a grocery store in Atchison, and later operated an elevator in connection with his brother, Alfred D. Cain. He went into partnership with R. H. Honthorn, and the firm constructed one of the largest mills in Kansas, exporting a great deal of flour to Europe. A. D. Cain purchased another flouring mill, and both brothers did a big export business. John M. Cain also bought and operated the Kinsley mills in Edward county, Kan. He established the State bank of Atchison, and built a block in which the bank was operated. Six weeks ago both his mill and block were consumed by fire, and the financial lows worried him and undermined his constitution. A short time ago he took a cold which developed into pneumonia, and his weakened constitution gave way under the strain.
(Topeka Weekly Capital ~ Tuesday ~ December 7, 1897)


An Atchison Boy Found Dead On the Stage of St. Benedict's College

Atchison, Kan., Aug. 20---George Baumgardner, 15 years old, accidentally hanged himself in the play hall at St. Benedict's college. At one end of the stage is an offset about two feet square extending down three feet. Over this offset the end of the rope used to rise and lower the curtain.

In this hole, with an old red robe used in giving plays, thrown over him, the boy was found by companions who followed him to the hall. The rope was tied around his neck and the indications are that in playing with the rope he accidentally stepped into the offset. His neck was broken.

George Baumgardner came to St. Benedict's from Germany two years ago, and was studying for the priesthood. A younger brother is a student at St. Benedict's and two sisters are at Mount St. Scholastica. His parents live in Germany.
(Emporia Gazette ~ Monday ~ August 20, 1906)


Atchison, Kan., March 19---Section men found the body of a man lying near the B. & M. railroad track near Iowa Point Tuesday. He was in an unconscious condition and was taken to town, where he died a few hours afterward.

He had been to Iowa Point the day before and had stated that he was a tailor. He was a German.

The physician stated that in all probability, he came to his death from cold and exposure.

A few cents were found on his person, but there was nothing about his person to reveal his identity.

The remains were buried yesterday, and his identity will probably always remain a mystery.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Friday ~ March 20, 1896)


Atchison, Kan., July 14---Sunday night at 7 o'clock when the fish were fed at Merkle's fish pond the German carp appeared as lively as ever. Monday morning when they went to feed the fish the carp were found gasping for breath, and by 8 o'clock the thousands of fish in the pond were dead. As there is a big spring of fresh water flowing into the pond, what killed the fish is a mystery.

The pond was immediately drained and the fish went out into the creek. There is absolutely no clue to the killing of the fish. One story is that dynamite was used.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Friday ~ July 17, 1896)


Strange Case of Mr. Bruner of Missouri Puzzling the Officers

Atchison, Kan., July 20---Wm. A. Johnson, sheriff of Daviess County, Mo., was in Atchison yesterday, working on a case the plot of which promises to outrival the dime novels. O. Bruner, a school teacher of wide note, disappeared from Civil Bend, Daviess county, Mo., early in May after betraying a Miss Shaw of that place. On the morning of May 27, Bruner's clothes were found on the Missouri river bridge at St. Joseph, and a note which he left stated that his body would be found in the river.

The ruined girl's parents are wealthy, and the wrong he had committed prompted them to offer a reward of $500 for his arrest. Detectives were sent out to hunt for him, but without avail until recently, letters which he had written came into the hands of the Daviess county authorities. But about the same time a floater answering all the descriptions of Bruner was found at Atchison in the Missouri river. Relatives refused to state whether the remains were Bruner's or not, and the body was buried in the potter's field. It is now a question as to whether Bruner could have sent a substitute to the bottom of the river in order to stop the search for him and secure the $3,000 life insurance which he carried.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Friday ~ July 22, 1898)


Eli Mattocks, Veteran Santa Fe Employe, Passes Away

Atchison, Kan., July 9---Eli Mattocks, the oldest brakeman in Kansas, died very suddenly last night. He has been afflicted with heart trouble, but his death was hastened by the excessive heat yesterday. His services as a brakeman commenced with the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe in 1872, when the road was in its infancy, running between Topeka and Burlingame. After serving on this road for many years he took a job on the Central Branch of the Missouri Pacific, and worked as a brakeman year in and year out until the time of his death. He was 71 years of age.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Tuesday ~ July 12, 1898)



Atchison, June 2---The dead body of Jerry Donahue was found Saturday evening near the school house at Good Intent, four miles from Atchison. Donahue was employed near by on the farm of Edward Kelley. He had been on a spree several days and the cause of his death is unknown.
(Topeka Weekly Capital ~ Thursday ~ June 5, 1890)



Farmer J. D. Judah and His Two Daughters Instantly Killed by a Passenger Train

Atchison, Kan., Jan. 8---Jennings D. Judah, a farmer living near Cummings, this county, and his two daughters, aged 18 and 14, respectively, were instantly killed by an east-bound Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe train near Atchison about 6 o'clock tonight. Judah and his two daughters had been in town trading, and left about 5:30 for home in a spring wagon. As they approached the Omaha railroad crossing, just west of the yard lmits, the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe passenger train came thundering along. The flagman gave the warning, but it was too late, and the engine struck the spring wagon. There was a crash and the wagon was knocked into splinters, and the occupants hurled before the swiftly moving train. The train stopped, and Judah was found dead on the pilot with his head crushed. The older girl's head was also crushed and her lifeless body was found near the track. The train passed over the younger girl and death must have been instantaneous. The oldest girl, May Judah, was a pupil in the Atchison county high school at Effingham. Judah was 52 years of age and an extensive farmer. He had lived in this vicinity since his boyhood. He leaves a widow and two children.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Tuesday ~ January 11, 1898)


ATCHISON, Kan., Aug. 14---William Burgus, a bachelor farmer, living a few miles north of Atchison, was beaten almost to death yesterday morning by a tramp. Burgus, who is 65 years of age, was at work in his field. The tramp wanted something to eat, but Burgus said as he was a bachelor his neighbors would be better prepared to feed him. He then turned to his work, when the tramp assaulted him with a cane. Burgus was knocked down and the tramp continued his assault, beating him until his head contained twenty-four scalp wounds, ranging from an inch and a half to three inches in length. One blow broke Burgus' collar bone and another tore a big gash in his face. The cries of the old man attracted neighbors, but the tramp escaped. Later a man answering the tramp's description was arrested and is in jail.
(Leavenworth Herald ~ Saturday ~ August 17, 1895)


Atchison, Kan., April 9---Uncle "Jaky" Martin, who had been proprietor of the hotel at Effingham, this county, 30 years, is dead, aged 90 years. He was a pro-slavery man of the early days. When William H. Seward spoke in Atchison during the slavery agitation abolitionists went to Martin's farm to kill him and take his stock. The raiders were routed with three wounded.
(Emporia Gazette ~ Tuesday ~ April 9, 1901)


B. T. Jones Throws Himself in Front of an Engine

Atchison, Kan., Jan. 19---Benjamin T. Jones, a painter aged 58 years, ended his life in a tragic manner here at 5 o'clock this afternoon. A few days ago Jones went home intoxicated and assualted his wife. She had a warrant issued for him and he was locked up in the county jail.

She applied for a divorce, although they had been living together for twenty-five years, alleging cruelty. She told her husband that, if he would not annoy her she would not prosecute him for assault. He agreed to her proposition and was released from jail, and the case against him continued. He slept with the tramps at the police station a few nights and today told his friends that as his happiness was at an end, and his period of usefulness over, he intended to commit suicide. He was very deliberate about the matter, and said that before dark he would go over to the railroad tracks and throw himself in front of the first train that came along.

His statement was not credited, but when evening approached, Jones disappeared.

A Missouri Pacific switch engine was pushing a string of cars to the lower yards, when Jones was seen standing near the track. When the cars were near him he suddenly fell across the track, and several cars passed over him before the engine could come to a standstill. He was dead when picked up. He had lived in this section for many years.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Friday ~ January 21, 1898)


Atchison, Kan., July 20---James Conlon has brought suit in a justice court against the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe for $95 for killing of a cow a short time ago. The cow is valued at $50 and the attorney's services for $45.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Friday ~ July 23, 1897)


Atchison, Kan., Dec. 19---Bill Hall, a half-witted inmate of the county poor farm south of Atchison, who has been in the institution twenty-eight years, was found dead in the inmates' sitting room yesterday. One of Hall's peculiarities was that he could not sleep in a bed, and he frequently spent his nights in the sitting room, lounging on a bench or sitting on a chair. When one of the employees went to the room to do some work yesterday morning, the lifeless body of Hall was found, with two ugly gashes in his forehead. There is little doubt that Hall was murdered, and Jim May, a weak minded colored man, who has been an inmate of the institution several years, is under suspicion. The murder was evidently committed with a club, but the object of the murder is a mystery.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Tuesday ~ December 20, 1898)


Atchison, Kan., September 16---It turns out that Campbell Perry, who was found dead six miles south of Atchison oast night, was shot and killed by Michael McArdle. The shooting occurred at 7:30 o'clock. The story, as near as can be learned from witnesses, is that Perry went to McArdle's place last night to collect a bill of $50 for wages, which had been due a long time. The interview occurred in the yard of McArdle, a short distance from the house, the men had not been talking long when a pistol shot was heard. Occupants of the house, including some neighbors ran out and saw Perry fall. McArdle was standing on the porch, he was asked what the shooting meant, but made no reply at the time. He afterwards admitted the shooting, but said he had done it in self-defence. He then disappeared. This morning McArdle appeared a the county jail and delivered himself up to Sheriff Barry. No weapon was found upon Perry's person. A coroner's jury pronouned it a deliberate murder. The ball passed through the fleshy portion of Perry's left arm and entered the body in the region of the heart. McArdle was taken before a justice of the peace and his examination set for the 18th. He refuses to talk, and has employed an attorney to defend him. He is about 30 years of age and is married. He is a son of James McArdle, one of the oldest citizens of Atchison county and very highly respected. Perry was 23 years of age and had lived in the neighborhood a long time. His father left Atchison last night for Oklahoma before the news of the murder was brought in.
(Topeka Weekly Capital ~ Thursday ~ September 24, 1891)


Wealthy Farmer and His Son Attacked and Killed on the Highway

Atchison, Kan., Feb. 10---W. I. Burdette, a wealthy farmer living five miles east of Atchison, is dead, and his son William fatally injured as a result of an assault yesterday by George and Charles May.

George May had a fight with William Burdette about two months ago, but the matter was apparently dropped. Yesterday W. I. Burdette and son William attended the Jordan Creek church. Geo. May was present, and with him was his nephew, Charles May.

After church, William Burdette rode off horseback followed by his father in a buggy. When young Burdette reached the first cross road he met Charles May, who had taken a short cut across a field.

May started a fuss which resulted in a fight, in which May stabbed Burdette in the left side, the blade piercing a lung.

As young Burdette fell, his father rushed to his assistance but George May, who had remained concealed, felled him to the ground with two blows from a club, crushing his skull.

Friends soon arrived and carried the Burdettes home. The elder Burdette died a few hours after, without regaining consciousness, and his son's wound is pronounced fatal.

The Mays were arrested later and are now in jail at St. Joseph. All the parties concerned are widely known.

It is believed that there is something very sensational about the affair whicih is being kept secret.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Tuesday ~ February 11, 1896)


Shot Down In The Street


Nortonville, Kan., Dec. 28---Jacob Hopkins was shot and instantly killed at Cummings, near here, Sunday morning at 10 o'clock by Elisha Graham. Hopkins was a man about 45 years of age and had been working for Graham on the farm for the past season. Hopkins was a widower and was to have been married to a daughter of Graham next Wednesday.

About a week ago the two men went to Atchison together and while there Graham drew $125 from a bank and proceeded to get gloriously drunk. While in that condition he lost his money. After arriving home he accused Hopkins of stealing the money from him, but upon investigation it was found that Hopkins was not with Graham during the day and that the money was lost at the gambling table.

Graham has been adverse to the marriage of his daughter with Hopkins, and Sunday morning he and his son left home in a wagon, the old man, who was armed with a revolver and a Winchester rifle, avowing that he would kill Hopkins, before he returned home from his farm. He drove to Cummings, a distance of about two miles, and went to the barber shop. While there he saw Hopkins with a crowd on the street just in front of the shop. He walked outside and through the crowd to Hopkins and drew his revolver, placed it against Hopkins' breast and fired the bullet, which passed in the body near the heart. Hopkins turned partially around and Graham again shot at him, hitting him in the arm as he turned. Hopkins said: "Don't let him shoot again," and fell to the ground dead. After he was down Graham fired two shots more at his prostrate body. Graham then passed on through the crowd and going to the home of the daughter who lived near bid her goodby, and getting into his wagon he and son started for Atchison, ten miles distant, where Graham said he would give himself up. Graham is a man 75 years old and owns several farms and has for many years been considered a good citizen. Hopkins has a son and a daughter, who are living in Oklahoma.

Graham is in jail at Atchison.
(Emporia Gazette ~ Monday ~ December 28, 1896)


The funeral of Dr. W. H. Hudson, formerly of Atchison, but now of Sanders, Mont., was held at Atchison on Wednesday, June 23. The body lay in state at Sarbur & Douglass undertaking parlors where it was reviewed by a large number of citizens. A committee of his lodge members attended to receiving those who called for a last look at their friend and former fellow townsman.

Dr. W. H. Hudson was born in Nashville, Tenn., Dec. 24, 1862. He spent his early life and was educated in Nashville. He was graduated from Meharry Medical College in 1887 and came to Atchison in 1888 where he practiced medicine for 26 years. Failing health caused him in 1914 to retire from his chosen profession. He went to Montana where he began farming on a large scale.

He was married to Miss Esther Shreve, Sept. 5th, 1904.

Dr. Hudson was converted and united with Campbell A. M. E. church about 1895.

He was the founder of Atchison Lodge No. 63, A. F. & A. M., and remained a faithful member of the same until death.

He was the organizer of the True Eleven Order in Atchison.

He died in Chicago of Brights disease, June 20th, aged 52 years, 5 months and 26 days. He was ambitious, industrious and energetic throughout his entire life. He was a faithful and devoted husband and father. He leaves to mourn the great loss which his death brought to them a loving wife, three sons, two daughters and many friends.

Atchison Lodge No. 63, A. F. & A. M., of which he was a member and also the founder had charge of the services, Grand Master Ernest J. Hawkins of Fort Scott officiating. The lodge escorted the remains to Campbell A. M. E. church where several hundred people were waiting. A number of beautiful selections were rendered by the choir and eulogies were delivered by Prof. Gray, Dr. Moates of Leavenworth, Dr. B. A. McLemore of Fort Scott, Hon. T. W. Bell, Past Deputy Grand Master of Leavenworth, Dr. Curtion of Saint Joseph, Mo., all paid a glowing tribute to the memory and work of Dr. Hudson not only as a physician but as a leader, friend, neighbor, devoted husband and loving father.

Rev. J. F. C. Taylor presented an able sermon on the life and character of Dr. Hudson. His remarks were very touching and a fine tribute to the character of this greatly beloved man.

The remains reposed in a beautiful black velvet couch casket and were reviewed by hundreds of friends. The floral tributes were in charges of the ladies of the True Eleven, they were not only many and beautiful, but a magnificent testimonial of the high esteem in which the deceased held.

Dr. Hudson's health had been on the decline for sometime, and about a year ago he with his family moved to Sanders, Mont., where he purchased a section of land, steam plows, and other modern farming implements, and put in 200 acres of wheat which is now in fine condition. It was here that Dr. Hudson hoped to regain his shattered health. He was a very high spirited man, full of vim and push. On several occasions he headed delegations going to Topeka to protest and fight lesislation about to be enacted reflecting upon his race. His practice was among the wealthy white citizens of Atchison who regreted his leaving the city very much.

In his will he provided for the youngest children to receive $2,400; $1000 for his wife; $1000 for his son, Toussant; $600 for his oldest son, Gosnald and $100 for his oldest daughter, Elnora. The proceeds from the land and personal effects are to be equally divided among the four children and the widow, who is made sole administratrix without bond. She is a splendid business woman, highly educated and fully competant to carry out the wishes of her late husband. She and the children have the heartfelt sympathy of the Doctor's wide circle of friends and acquaintance.

The body was held over until Friday to await the arrival of his son, Toussant from Sanders, Mont., and will be interred in the family plot at Oak Hill cemetery. A great and good man has passed into the great beyond. Peace to his ashes.

Resolutions from Mary's Temple No.

1. True Eleven

Whereas, it is pleased our Alwise and Omnipotent Heavenly Father to remove from the walks of men our friend and fellow townsman, Dr. W. H. Hudson, and

Whereas, on July 4th, 1893 he founded our order of True Eleven which stands as a living monument to his faithful endeavor, and,

Whereas, we do acknowledge the supremacy and wisdom of God in all His workings,

Therefore, be it resolved that we, his fellow citizens and co-laborers do bow in meek submission to the inflexible will of our Creator, and while we deeply regret the passing of Dr. Hudson from among us, yet we realize that our sorrow is His peace; that his life, now hid with that Infinite Source of Life will be fruitful as no earthly life can be.

Be it further resolved, that his labors among us shall not be in vain, but shall be clothed as it were, with new influence, that we shall receive inspiration from a life of earnest zeal and endeavor, that we shall emulate every quality of beauty and sterling worth.

Be it further resolved that we extend our deepest sympathy to the bereaved family and do commend them for comfort to that Shepherd of Israel, who did comfort His people of old and to whose loving care may ever be committed the helpless, the suffering and the grieved of Earth.

Dr. Hudson was a hero in manhood, pushing forward for his race and was second to none in his medical skill, this greatest ambition was to be successful in everything he undertook. He was a rare man, so much so until he organized a body of people known as the True Eleven to be up and building and uplifting the colored race, and through his noble ambition and the willing workers thereof, were able to purchase and pay for a building worth $5,000 to stand as a living monument today of his achievement at the corner of Sixth and Santa Fe streets.

If there were any doubts of this building being paid for or this institution falling through at that time those doubts have long since been dispelled and it stands as one of the useful institutions of the city.

His remarkable work does not only speak well of him in this city, but over the entire county and state where he was known. He departed this life in full triumph of faith. Right blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth; yea saith the spirit that they may rest from their labors and their works do follow them.

Ac. D. GENERALS, Virgin

Resolutions Trustees Campbell Chapel, A. M. E. Church

Whereas Dr. W. H. Hudson has been an associate member of this Board for a number of years. We have always found him to be enterprising, energetic and an ardent supporter of every movement engendering the advancement of this department.

That in his official capacity as chairman, he displayed a rare judgement, business ability and a personal interest in the welface of the temporal affairs of the church.

Be it resolved, that we do hereby express our regrets at the loss of so vaulable and efficient a co-worker. That we have sustained a loss to this department which will require a great deal of effort on our part to regain.

And be it further resolved, that we extend our utmost compassion, our deepest sympathy and condolence to the stricken family in thise their hour of distress.

And that while we feel the Board, the church and the community have suffered an irretievable loss, we are consoled by the thought that the valley of the shadow leads but to the brightest home beyond,


(Plaindealer ~ Friday ~ June 25, 1915)


A Serious Charge Against an Atchison County Colored Man

Atchison, December 11---George Nolan, colored, has been arrested, charged with the burning of the house of Ed Ferris, the colored farmer, near Port Williams, Sunday night, and the counsequent murder of Ferris's child, which perished in the fire. The children were asleep in the house and the door had been locked on the outside by Ferris and hi wife, who went to call on a neighbor. The fire was set against the corner of the house in which the burned child was lying. Nolan borrowed some coal oil a few minutes before the fire broke out and soon after gave the alarm. Nolan is a vindictive man and had a quarrel with Ferris about some wood a year or two ago. Nolan was suspected of killing another enemy, who was found dead. The evidence in the Ferris case is all circumstantial, but it seems to leave no room for Nolan to escape.
(Topeka Weekly Capital ~ Thursday ~ December 18, 1890)


Billy Williams, Postal Clerk on the Central Branch, Cuts His Throat

Atchison, Kan., Nov. 2---Wm. J. Williams, better known as Billy Williams, committed suicide this morning in a very tragic manner. Billy Williams was a postal clerk. A year ago last May he and his wife had trouble. They parted, but Williams continued to support his wife, giving her $25 a month. He took their only child, a boy, and went to live with his brother-in-law. The couple were divorced during October, 1896, but Williams continued to give his wife $10 a month. Williams' unfortunate marriage had always worried him. He earned a good salary, and it was always the disappointment of his life that he could not be happy with his wife. Recently he had been unusually melancholy and brooded over his troubles.

Of late months Williams has been employed as assistant in the Central Branch mail car which goes out on the night train at 11:30 o'clock. He usually went on duty in the evening, returning to his home about midnight. He came home unusually early last night.

Williams' 5-year-old boy, Dave Williams, came rushing excitedly down stairs before 8 o'clock this morning and told his aunt to go to his father. Mrs. Twomly went upstairs to Williams' room and found him lying on the floor, practically dead.

Williams arose about 7:30 o'clock and his boy, who sleeps with him awoke. Williams gathered all his papers and put them on the bureau, the boy watching curiously. Williams then wrote a note and put it beside the papers. The little boy says his father would not answer him when he, out of childish curiosity, asked what he was doing. The father then took his razor and made a deep gash across his left wrist, severing the arteries. The boy wanted to arouse the household, but Williams forbade him. The boy showed a disposition to cry out, whereupon Wiliams made a fearful cut across his throat severing the jugular vein, but holding the boy until he fell unconscious. The child then gave the alarm. It was a tragic end.

His money and collateral consisted of about $1,300.
(Topeka Weekly Capital ~ Friday ~ November 5, 1897)


While the 11-year-old daughter of John Fronke, with her 8-year-old brother, were picking berries near Atchison, a negro compelled the girl at the point of a shotgun to walk to a remote place in the woods, where he attempted to mistreat her. He compelled the boy to go along so he would not raise the alarm. Both of the children screamed, and the negro finally ran. A few hours later a negro named John Mitchell was arrested, and he confessed to the crime. He is now in the county jail.
(Sedan Lance ~ Friday ~ July 22, 1904)


Atchison, Kan., Jan. 26---George Koepfinger, a farmer living six miles southwest of Atchison, committed suicide last night by strangling himself with a small woollen shawl which he drew tightly around his throat. The deed was committed after Koepfinger had attempted to assault his wife and daughter with an open pocket knife.

Nicholas Yost, a farm hand, interfered in behalf of Mrs. Koepfinger and her daughter, and his right wrist was horribly cut. It is believed that Koepfinger was insane.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Friday ~ January 28, 1898)


Atchison, Kan., March 3---Mrs. Margaret Jones, the wife of James Jones, a prosperous farmer living near Bendena, committed suicide yesterday afternoon by taking laudanum. The action was the result of mental depression, caused by continued illness. Mrs. Jones had been an invalid for years, and her suffering has been intense during the past month. She frequently threatened to take poison.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Friday ~ March 4, 1898)


Savannah, Mo., July 26---While temporarily insane, caused by the intense heat, Arthur B. Bryant, son of Dr. W. H. Bryant, shot and killed himself in the woodshed at his father's home here. He lived at Atchison, Kan., but came here to recuperate from the hot weather.
(Emporia Gazette ~ Friday ~ July 26, 1901)


The Leavenworth Suicide was Solomon Bernstein of Atchison

Leavenworth, Kan., August 2---The body of the young man found hanging at the Ft. Leavenworth military reservation has been identified as that of Solomon Bernstein of Atchison.

He was lately confined in the Topeka insane asylum, from which place he escaped and made his way to this place. Bernstein is from one of the best Hebrew families of Atchison and was away from his home only a short time.
(Topeka Weekly Capital ~ Thursday ~ August 4, 1892)


Mrs. Ella Schubert, wife of a farmer south of Atchison, Kan., killed herself with a shotgun. She had a cancer which could not be cured, so she took her own life.
(American Citizen, Kansas City, KS ~ Friday ~ May 31, 1901)


Atchison, Kan.---The young wife of a prominent Atchison County farmer shot and killed her husband and her two small daughters in their sleep Tuesday and then committed suicide, sheriff's officers said.

The bodies of Bill Harden, 28, and his two daughters, Julie, 5, and Debra, 4, were in their beds. The body of Mrs. Mildred Harden, 26, was in the bathroom.

"We found the lady lying on her back in the bathroom," said Undersheriff Lesley Velfelder. "The gun was still in her right hand. It was a small pistol."

Velfelder said Harden and the two children had been shot sometime during the night.

Officers said neighbors told them Mrs. Harden had been despondent recently.

The bodies were discovered at mid-day by Harden's mother, Mrs. Maude Harden, who lives across the road from the neat white farm bungalow in the tiny community of Huron, 17 miles southwest of Atchison.

She became suspicious when she noted no activity on her son's farm and summoned a neighbor, Mrs. Mary Hopkins, who at first believed that the four had been asphyxiated.
(Wichita Eagle ~ Wednesday ~ May 29, 1968)


James Newman, a prominent farmer living two miles west of Cummings, Atchison county, was struck by a Santa Fe stock train and instantly killed. He was walking on the track when the train rounded a sharp curve and caught him.
(Sedan Lance ~ Friday ~ September 29, 1905)


Atchison, Sept. 29---John Talbert, colored, was found guilty of murder in the second degree, by a jury of the Atchison district court this morning. On the night of April 4, 1898, Tablert shot and killed Jim Hunt, also colored. The shooting was the result of a fight at a party at the home of Ed. Talbert, a brother of the convicted man, where a keg of election beer was being consumed. Talbert claimed self defense, but all the jurors were for conviction, and on the first ballot nine favored a verdict of murder in the first degree. After twelve hours deliberation they gave in to the three who favored a modified verdict.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Friday ~ September 30, 1898)


For This an Atchison Girl Will Be Disinherited

Atchison, Kan., March 22---Mrs. Sarah Wilkins, a widow, who owns $75,000 worth of property in Atchison county, yesterday announced that she had disinherited her adopted daughter and niece, Dollie Bilderback, because of a discovery that she had married George Woods, a farm hand.

The marriage took place several days ago in Atchison, and was kept a secrety by Daniel Hooper, the probate judge, who performed the ceremony. Miss Bilderback had lived with Mrs. Wilkins a number of years, and was to have been the heir to the estate provided she did not marry against Mrs. Wilkins' will.

Mrs. Wilkins objected to her marriage to Woods, and has adopted a girl from the Soldiers' Orphans' home and says the child will receive her entire fortune.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Tuesday ~ March 26, 1901)


A Virginia Boy Who Married A Kansas Girl Forced to Desert Her

Atchison, Kan., Sept. 11---Mrs. S. F. Taylor, a wealthy resident of Richmond, Va., arrived here this morning and found her son, Frank Souder, whose whereabouts had been unknown for some time. Souder, who is a minor, recently married a girl in Hiawatha, Kan., whom Mrs. Taylor considered beneath the station of the family, and she left today with her son for San Francisco. The bride is at Horton, and does not know of her husband's desertion. Souder, who was in reduced circumstances, came to Atchison a few days ago and went to work as a street car conductor.
(Emporia Gazette ~ Saturday ~ September 11, 1897)


Warrant Sworn Out for the Arrest of an Atchison Woman

Atchison, Kan., Nov. 18---Francis Gaines this afternoon caused a warrant to be issued charging Mrs. Susan Kelley with bigamy. During last July the accused woman married Samuel Kelley. Gaines claims he was married to Mrs. Kelley in June, 1894, and that no divorce has ever been secured. Gaines also swore to a complaint against Kelley, charging bigamy. The Kelleys live on a farm near Deer creek. Mrs. Kelley owns considerable property. Gaines is about 55 years of age. Gaines, it is said, lived with his wife only about nine months after marrying her in 1894, and went to Illinois. It is believed that Mrs. Kelley will make the defense that she thought Gaines was dead. Gaines is now living in Leavenworth.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Tuesday ~ November 22, 1898)


Several Made in the Atchison Institution on January 1

There have been several chanes among the employees at the Atchison Orphans' home, beginning with the first of the year. Mrs. Nellie Benjamin, formerly a family manager, has been given employment in the kitchen; Mrs. Draper, formerly in the laundry, succeeds Mrs. Benjamin as family manager; Miss Myrtle Stoffer takes a place in the laundry, and Miss Laura Stoffer, living in the country near Atchison, has been given a position as dining room girl in the east wing at the home.

Bertha Hurst, aged 16, has been taken from the home and returned to her guardian at Topeka. When the children at the home reach 16, without having been adopted, they are returned to their parents or guardians, if they are in circumstances to receive them.

Mrs. Bertha Ward, who has been teaching school in the east, but who formerly taught school in Kansas, arrived yesterday to succeed Miss Winnie Smith as teacher in the kindergarten. Miss Smith resigned to get married.

Miss Pearl Allen, who has charge of the babies, returned from Muscotah today, where she was called to attend her father's funeral.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Friday ~ January 5, 1900)


How Vandegrift Once Sold Her Six Lots in Atchison

F. L. Vandegrift, Topeka correspondent of the Kansas City Star, went out of the newspaper business once for about three months. It was during the boom at Atchison, and Van, like every one else, caught the real estate fever. Just after he had opened up an office, Kate Field, who died recently at Hawaii, visited Kansas. She took in Atchison, of course, and it fell to Van to show her the town. He engaged the finest hack the place possessed, threw back its top, covered the cushions with rugs, and he and Miss Field took a drive.

Vendegrift directed Miss Field's attention particularly to some valuable lots in an addition about three miles from town for which he was the agent. Vandegrift is a good talker, as every body knows, and he was really eloquent over these lots. They overlooked the city, had natural drainage, the city was bound to grow their way, etc., etc.

It was the old story. Miss Field was infatuated with the town--took six lots on the spot. She gave her check for $1,500, and the remaining $1,500 of the purchase price was to be paid in a year. When it came due the boom had vanished. Miss Field refused to pay. The lots were sold by the sheriff. They brought $100.

This is the end in most boom cases. But not in this one. Miss Field was pursued in her eastern travels and was finally forced to pay the judgment hanging over her.

But she never forgave Vandegrift or Atchison or Kansas. And when she went to Hawaii a few months ago she examined her ticket from Chicago to San Francisco very carefully indeed to see that it did not read: "By way of Kansas."

Miss Field's death recalls to a writer in the Chicago Record a story of her youth that was first given publicity in the world's congress of journalists in 1893 and may contain the secret of her having never married. The story as told by one who claimed to know was that in the beginning of her journalistic career Miss Field worked on the Cincinnati Commercial in collaboration with Whitelaw Reed, who was at that time her accepted lover. When Reid became an editorial writer on the New York Tribune he sent for his old sweetheart to come and take a position on the paper. Until after the defeat of Horace Greeley for the Presidency the pleasant relations between Mr. Reid and Miss Field continued.

When Greeley returned to his old desk, defeated and broken-hearted, the stock of the Tribune was put upon the market at a very low price. By the advice of Mr. Reid a majority of the stock was purchased by D. O. Mills, and Reid was given full control of the paper. As a result of the relations thus established Whitelaw Reid married Miss Elizabeth Mills, the daughter of D. O. Mills, andn became the owner of a majority of the stock of the Tribune. When the news of the engagement of Mr. Reid to Miss Mills became known Kate Field severed her connection with the Tribune and left the office never to enter it again.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Friday ~ June 5, 1896)


But a Passenger Train Struck F. D. Gage and Killed Him

Kansas City, Kan., Feb. 19---F. D. Gage was struck by a passenge train on the Santa Fe road at 5:30 o'clock last night, and instantly killed. He was walking along on the tracks just east of Argentine, and as he made no attempt to get out of the way of the approaching train, it is thought that he was mistaken as to the track he was walking on, as there is a double track at this point. He was knocked fully twenty feet and his neck was broken.

He came to this city about a month ago from Oklahoma, where he has been farming. He was 37 years of age, and was engaged to be married to Lena Swartz of Atchison, this week.

The body will be shipped to the home of his father, O. M. Gage, a farmer, living near Seneca, Kan.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Friday ~ February 21, 1896)


Atchison Salvation Army Lassie Has to Break With Booth's People To Do It

Atchison, Kan., June 5---Red Eagle, a full blooded Indian, belonged to the Salvation Army and traveled about giving lectures of his experiences. He met Captain Anderson, a woman officer of the Atchison corps, and an attachment sprung up between them. They informed their superior officers that they wanted to marry, but objection was made. They married in spite of their superiors and have since left the army and joined the Volunteers.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Tuesday ~ June 8, 1897)

Joseph Barber, a prominent farmer living southwest of Huron, was arrested Saturday night upon a charge of adultery prefered by Edward Sloane, also a prominent farmer of that neighborhood.

Sloane alleges undue intimacy between his wife and Barber, Mrs. Sloane being a niece of Barber's, the charge is more serious. Barber was taken to Atchison and lodged in jail and his bond placed at $1,000, which he has not yet furnished . Barber is a man of a family and is about 40 years of age. Sloane and his wife are both young, having been married less than four years. There is considerable excitement in Huron over the affair.
(State Ledger ~ Topeka, KS ~ Saturday ~ September 10, 1898)

Atchison, March 27---Frank Blankenship, of Valley Falls, was killed and his wife was seriously injured when a motor car in which they were riding turned over on the road southwest of Atchison last night. Blankenship's brother, who was driving the car, escaped with some bruises. According to Mrs. Blankenship, the accient was a tragic ending of a romance. Before her marriage she was Margaret Lee, daughter of Thomas Lee, a farmer near Potter. She said she and Mr. Blankenship were secretly married last September and that last night they were enroute to her father's home to tell him of the marriage. Mrs. Blankenship is in the hospital here and probably will recover.
(Emporia Gazette ~ Tuesday ~ March 27, 1917)


The George W. Kerford Stone Quarry company of Atchison, Kansas, is one of the largest and greatest money making enterprises of its kind operated by colored men. This plant was founded some years ago by George W. Kerford, Sr., now deceased, having three sons, George, Jr., Lloyd and Clarence, the business was handed down to them, who through the training and business acumen of their father, having built up a business of great magnitude, with the business increasing every year.

The editor had the pleasure to be taken out to the plant last week by the senior partner of the firm, Mr. George Kerford, Jr., and found there a stone crusher in operation, whose capacity is seven 50-ton cars per day, and one can imagine the large force of workmen it takes to do this work, the company employing some 30 men and often using two shifts, as they have to put on night shifts to fill their orders, having the entire quarry wired with electricity. A steam shovel is used for all the stripping. The drilling is all done by compressed air, drilling a foot in hard limestone per minute, then the stone is transferred to the crusher in steel cars drawn by horsrs, over a network of tracks. The crushers' power is given by a hundred horse power electric dynamo. After the stone passes through the crusher it is carried down in a large elevator and dumped into the car, which is billed to its destination. We were shown into their office, where a complete set of books are kept, orders to one party alone running nearly $50,000 and others way up in the thousands. They ship daily to many cities and railroads in Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska, and during the summer season are kept busy nearly night and day to fill their orders.

All three of the brothers are married and have fine families, with splendid wives, each having beautiful homes. One other thing can be said about these three young men, that is, out of the ordinary for busy men and that is, they are exceedingly active in church work, being substantial members of Campbell Chapel A. M. E. church.

They were busy last week during the annual conference, taking visitors and members of the conference to their plant in their autos, as all of them have their cars.

As citizens no set of men stand higher than the Kerford brothers and they are considered among the city's best assets.
(Advocate ~ Kansas City, KS ~ Friday ~ September 22, 1922)


Atchison, Kan., Aug. 13---A Mrs. Lafayette called at the office of County Attorney Crowell today and wanted a warrant issued charging Dr. Lafayette of Hopkins, Mo., with bigamy. She said that she became acquainted with Dr. Lafayette through a matrimonial bureau, and that he came to Atchison eighteen months ago and married her. They lived together thirty days, and, finding themselves uncongenial, separated. Mrs. Lafayette went to Joplin, Mo., where she recently took steps in the direction of securing a divorce. Somebody there told her that Dr. Lafayette had a wife living in southern Missouri, where he married her, and she came to Atchison at once to cause a warrant to be issued for his arrest, on a charge of having more wives than the law allows. County Attorney Crowell declined to entertain her complaint without further evidence. According to her story, Dr. Lafayette was 73 years of age when they were married, and her own age was 55.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Tuesday ~ August 17, 1897)


Atchison, Kan., July 20---While Mrs. M. Keper was standing on Commercial street yesterday, she was approached by a strange woman who placed a baby in her arms, and told her that if she ever lost track of the infant she would be mysteriously killed. Mrs. Keper is too poor to keep the infant, but is afraid to give it away.
(Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Friday ~ July 23, 1897)


District Court, Atchison county, Kansas.

James Burgess, whose place of residence is unknown, is hereby notified that Jennie Burgess on the 14th day of October, A. D., 1862, filed her petition in the office of the clerk of the District Court of Atchison county, and State of Kansas, charging the said James Burgess with willful absence for more than one year last past, and with extreme cruelty toward petitioner on the 15th day of July, A. D., 1862, at St. Joseph, Missouri, and at divers other times and places, and asking that she may be divorced from the said James Burgess and for the custody of her infant child, and for other proper relief, which petition will stand for hearing at the next term of said Court.

By Otis & Glick, her attys.
October 18th, 1862



Atchison, Kan., June 30---Mrs. Barnes, who was three times convicted of insanity, was taken to the Osawatomie asylum yesterday by Sheriff Hartman. There has been considerable sympathy expressed for the woman and many believe her story that her conviction is a conspiracy to get her out of the way. She was convicted in the probate court here some weeks ago and escaped while confined in a private asylum. The night she went away she placed a bundle outside the asylum and drove by for it about 11 o'clock, but the hired man was standing right where the bundle lay and she had to drive by without stopping for it. She says she went away to get valuable papers and transact business no one else could do for her. She says a Salina doctor helped her away.

There is a good deal of talk about a possible scandal in connection with her case. It is said that several men have to fear disclosures to be made in regard to correspondence carried on with Mrs. Barnes. The only definite thing to be found regarding this is that several improper notes were sent to her by some unknown Topeka man.

Mr. Barnes is talking of writing a book giving a history of her life. She promises to make some revelations that will startle the people.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Friday ~ July 2, 1897)



His Case Most Wonderful---Baffled Judges at Answering Questions, and in Legal Knowledge

Boy prodigies and infant wonders have been known in all ages, but Kansas, which may usually be counted on in an emergency, now comes to the front with a case of youthful precociousness which lays most of them in the shade.

Byron Gilbert, a seven-year-old Atchison lad, was yesterday admitted to practice law in the Supreme court of Kansas. His license to practice was of course a provisional one and is to take effect when he shall have attained the age of 21 years.

Young Gilbert is a son of Judge W. D. Gilbert of Atchison, formerly judge of the district court there and well known in legal circles.

The lad is a wonder. His knowledge of legal questions is simply marvelous, and would defy belief if not backed by indisputable evidence. His legal knowledge has ceased to be a ten days' wonder in his home town of Atchison, where his learning has been put to a test upon many occasions.

Young Gilbert did not impress those who saw him in the Supreme court room yesterday as being a child out of the ordinary. He has a well shaped head, is rahter diffident, but looks as if he might enjoy the games and romps of his boy companions.

Judge Gilbert is very proud of his son. Since the lad first learned to lisp words, the father has taken pride in teaching him legal phrases, and talking to him after the learned fashion of the law.

The examination which young Gilbert passed yesterday was a creditable one in every way, and would constitute a sufficient test for the admission of any applicant who passed it successfully.

The boy is undoubtedly the youngest person ever admitted to practice in the history of jurisprudence, and his case is bound to attract wide attention.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Friday ~ December 17, 1897)


Atchison, Kan., May 22---John Wagner, a widely known bridge contractor of Atchison, was drowned in the Mississippi river at Leeper, Mo., today, where he was constructing a bridge. Wagner is the man who built the Central Branch extension bridges and also constructed the big bridge at Galveston, Tex.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Tuesday ~ May 26, 1896)


Atchison, Kas., May 3---A suit of more than ordinary interest was filed in the district court here today by Elizt Williams, a negro against the heirs of Colo. Edwin R. Brown who died 23 years ago. Mrs. Williams asserts she was the common law wife of the Colonel Brown, and sues for half of the estate, which consists of 2,000 acres of land valued at $160,000. Colonel Brown with his family and seven ex-slaves one of whom was the Williams women came from Mississippi to Atchison in the enry '70s. She was one of the house servents and remained in that position until incapacitated by old age, when she removed to a forty acre farm near town which she has since occupied. After the death of Colonel Brown his daughter continued to look after the surviving ex-slaves. The daughter died a few months ago, leaving all the property to nieces and to nephews. B. F. Hudson ex-judge of the District court of this country, appears as attorney for Mrs. Williams.
(Wichita Searchlight ~ Saturday ~ May 8, 1909)

Atchison---The opening and dedication of the Atchison county high school at Effingham took place today. It was made a big affair by the residents of the beautiful little village, and several thousand were in attendance. The dedicatory address was delivered by Rev. Pendleton, of Topeka. Three courses will be taught free, namely: the normal, the general, and college preparatory courses. The school will start with an attendance of 100. Only one other county in the state, Dickinson, has a county school for higher education. Professor Squires, late of the Atchison public schools, is principal of the new Effingham high school, and there are three other teachers.
(Times-Observer ~ Topeka, KS ~ Saturday ~ September 12, 1891)


Farmer Killed and His Wife and Niece Seriously Injured Near Effingham

Effingham, Kan., Aug. 24---A west bound passenger train on the Central Branch of the Missouri Pacific struck a wagon on a crossing west of here at 10:45 o'clock this morning, killing Alva Black, a farmer, and dangerously injuring his wife and his niece, Miss Closter Taylor. They had been visiting at Willow Springs, Mo., and were returning to their home near Horton.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Tuesday ~ August 28, 1900)

Frank Bishop, a well-to-do retired farmer living in Effingham, a small town west of Atchison, shot his wife to death in their home and then committed suicide. Bishop was 69 years old and his wife was 64. He left several notes showing that the double tragedy was premeditated and was the result of worry over financial matters. Recently he came to Atchison and purchased a revolver.
(Blade, Hutchinson, KS ~ Saturday ~ March 5, 1921)


Last week a party of young men appeared at a farm house in the southern part of Atchison county to charivari a couple just married. They were invited in and given refreshments. One of the number, a man named Nick Lummix, was taken sick while at the house and could not be removed. He continued to grow worse and died at 10 o'clock at night.
(Sedan Lance ~ Friday ~ March 10, 1905)

Miss Emma Garrett, of Muscotah, was instantly killed about 1 o'clock Thursday morning, while returning from the night performance of a circus. Upon reaching Muscotah, Miss Garrett, her sister and brother-in-law took their team out of the livery barn and started to drive to their home, a few miles distant. The horses were fractious and became hard to manage. Miss Garrett was frightened at their actions and jumped from the buggy, striking her head and rupturing a blood vessel. Miss Garrett was to have been married October 8 to a Mr. Mitchell, of Oklahoma. Miss Garrett was buried in her wedding dress.
(American Citizen, Kansas City, KS ~ Friday ~ September 19, 1902)


Atchison, Kan., May 28---The inhabitants of the northern part of this county are excited by the discovery of the dead body of W. T. Proctor, a bachelor, who lived alone on a farm north of Hurton, a small town on the Missouri Pacific.

Proctor was 65 years old and had been a widower for thirty years. He had lived on his farm ever since the territorial days of Kansas. He received the title to hsi farm from the government and had never transferred or mortgaged it. He lived alone in faith and exposed to the weather. He was a frugal man and accumulated much money, which he always converted into gold. He had no bank account, and it is believed that his murderers, after forcing him to reveal the hiding place of his gold, killed him and then took the booty.

His pistol was found in the house fully charged. His knife was unopened in his pocket. Proctor's throat was cut from ear to ear and a bullet hole was just above the left eye. No blood was found ont he floor and there were no evidences of a struggle in the room. The body has the appearance of having been dead four or five days.

Investigation revealed the place of the murder---a clump of bushes forty feet from the house. Here there were marks of a struggle and the ground was covered with blood. The discovery of the body was made by two neighbors whose attention was directed to the famished stock by a boy named Shiver.
(Topeka Weekly Capital ~ Thursday ~ May 30, 1889)


Huron, Kan., January 20---Last night about 1 o'clock August Scholz's residence, three miles east of Huron, was burned to the ground. The fire originated from a defective flue, and as the family were asleep, the greater part of the contents were destroyed before they had time to remove them. The loss was probably $1,000; issued for $300.
(Topeka Weekly Capital ~ Thursday ~ January 26, 1893)

A state warrant was issued here Monday for one McKinley Woods, who ran off from Mr. and Mrs. Staunton Waters, who sometime ago took him from the Orphans Home northeast of the city to work for them. On the night of July 4th he burglarized the house of Mr. and Mrs. W. W. Van Lieu (white), ransacking the carriage house, and stole a motor cycle and then set fire to the building, doing $3000 damage. Mr. and Mrs. Waters are highly respected citizens in the city and they tried to make it pleasant for the boy, who had no need for this act.
(Plaindealer ~ Friday ~ August 22, 1913)

The friends of Dr. W. H. Hudson regret very much to learn tha the has retired as one of Atchison's oldest and best physicians. He has given up his practice for a rest, which he so richly deserves. It is not taken for the purpose of living a life of ease, but for the past year, Dr. Hudson has been failing in health, and at times has been in a very serious condition. He has consulted several specialists and they all tell him the only chance to enjoy this life longer is to rest. Dr. Hudson came from a poor family in the South and his success has been gained through untiring efforts and constant toil. He was educated in Nashville, Tenn., and during his college life he worked his way through school and boarded himself. His life is an example of what a man with push and energy can do. During the past few years most of his practice has been among the white people of Atchison and vicinity, especially in the treatment of rheumatism, in which he has been considered to be one of the ablest and best physicians of this city. He has a beautiful bungalow on Division St., and an estimable wife. He and family will probably go to Montana until his health improves. He will be succeeded in his practice by Dr. Frank Pearl of Butte, Mont.
(Plaindealer ~ Friday ~ July 24, 1914)


Best Business Houses in a Thriving Town are in Ashes

The business section of Effingham, Kan., has been swept by a disastrous fire. Within an hour the best business houses in the town were in ashes, involving a damage estimated at $15,000, of which about $5,000 was covered by insurance. Several firemen were injured, but none seriuosly. The fire started in the rear of the building occupied by the National Washing Machine company and its origin is unknown. The fire department responded to the call, but the apparatus was inadequate and the fire spread through the business section beyond control. The buildings burned were: J. G. Wolverton's store, less $1,500, insurace $600; Masonic Hall, all records of the lodge destroyed: J. H. Cummings' harness store, loss $1,650, insurance, $1,500; Ed High's feed store in Emerich's building, loss $200 on stock, $600 on building, insurance on building, $300; Cross' building, occupied by the National Washing Machine factory, loss on building $700, insurance on building $400; machinery all destroyed, loss of $700, no insurance; Mrs. Polly Tucker's livery stable, loss $1,000, no insurance; Henry Woodard's two buildings and meat market, loss $1,000, insurance $400; fire department house, no insurance, loss $400; vacant buildng belonging to Charlie Howard, loss $900, insurance $300; vacant building belonging to J. C. Little, loss $800, no insurance; four buildings belonging to N. W. Walker, loss $2,000, insurance $500.
(American Citizen ~ Friday ~ September 20, 1901)

William Generals was shot and mortally wounded Saturday evening by George Martin, a nototrious Atchison Negro. Early in the morning Martin, who is a drunkard and a morphine fiend, had created a disturbance in an East Atchison saloon and upon leaving announced his intention of "killing a nigger." He thereupon came to the Kansas side and went to his work in a drunken condition and becoming abusive to his employer was discharged. He entered into a general debauch and wandering about town drinking and shooting craps all day constantly repeating his threat to "kill a nigger." About 5 o'clock he went back where he had been discharged and upon finding Generals had been employed in his place, picked a quarrel with him and without the least warning, stepped back a pace, drew a revolver and emptied it at Generals, two shots taking effect.

Feeling ran high here Saturday night. Throngs of people gathered about the jail and a lynching was barely averted. Martin, who has long been a menace to the community, is an arrant coward, as proved by the fact that he shot down an unarmed man, without warning or the least provocation. The funeral of Mr. Generals was held from his mother's home Monday and was attended by three hundred people. The floral offerings were profuse and very beautiful. The affair was one of the saddest that ever occurred in Atchison and is deeply deplored by both white and colored. The deceased leaves a mother, Mrs. Delia Generals, and two sisters, Mrs. Jos. Smothers of St. Joe and Miss Ida Generals, a teacher in the Kansas City, Kans. schools.
(Plaindealer ~ Friday ~ May 12, 1905)


Back to Index Page
Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All rights reserved to Kansas Genealogy Trails' Atchison County host & all Contributors