Atchison County, Kansas



Death of Harry Wade

Atchison Globe, October 18, 1881

Died - In this city, at five o clock in the evening, Monday, October 17, Harry Wade, son of G. B. and Sarah Wade, aged fifteen years and ten days. Funeral from the residence cornerSixth and Santa Fe, at 2 o clock p.m. today.


Atchison Globe, May 26, 1880

The seven year old and bright little daughter of Joseph Wade, a farmer living two miles southwest of town, was buried in Oak Hill cemetery yesterday.


Atchison Man Had Bullet In Head --- Suicide the Theory

Atchison, Kan., Jan. 3 --- William C. Walker, 66 years old, formerly warehouse foreman for a large wholesale hardware house here, and later an employee of various industrial concerns, was found dead on the Burlington right-of-way a mile from here Thursday.  His body was in the snow with a bullet wound in the head, but no gun was found.  It is believed he committed suicide and that the weapon became embedded in snow.  A murder theory was advanced but was not taken seriously by the authorities.  An inquest will be held today.
(Topeka State Journal ~ January 3, 1919 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


Mr. James Wallace, a colored man, died on Sunday, Oct. 14., at 8 o'clock p.m.  He had been sick for some months of consumption.  He was buried in the Effingham cemetery on Monday at three o'clock.  Services were held in the Lutheran church conducted by a colored preacher from Pardee.  He leaves a wife and three children in destitute circumstances.
(Atchison Champion ~ Saturday ~ October 20, 1900 ~ Page 4)


Died at his late residence in Atchison, Kan., on Wednesday, the 27th of Dec., of Consumption, William Wallace, only son of William Osborn of Waterville, N. Y., in the 24th year of his age. (The Atchison Daily Champion, Thursday, January 4, 1866, transcribed by Jim Laird)



Passes Away At His Effingham Home Last Night


Effingham, Kan., May 11---State Senator B. F. Wallack died of heart failure at his home in this city at 11:30 o'clock tonight.

The deceased was about 48 years. He was born in Ohio, but came to Kansas in 1860 and served in the army as a member of company D, Seventh Kansas Volunteer infantry.

He was elected to the Senate from Atchison and Jackson counties in 1896, and although a member of the Republican minority, was one of the most influential members of that body.

Governor Leedy appointed him to be a member of the board of directors of the Hutchinson reformatory, and he had been home from a meeting of the board only a short time when he was stricken.

For eight years Senator Wallack was a member of the board of trustees of the Atchison county high school, and it was through his efforts that the school was established.

Senator Wallack had not been in good health for several years, but he was a very energetic man and never complained. His death was a great surprise.

He leaves a widow and five children. His son, Frank, aged 20, the eldest, was his clerk in the Senate last winter.

Effingham, Kan., May 12---The funeral services for the late Senator B. F. Wallack, who died here last night, will be held here tomorrow afternoon at 2 o'clock in the assembly room of the Atchison county High School, the building which stands as a monument to his energy and educational zeal. The Rev. Dr. Clutz, president of Midland college, Atchison, will preach the sermon.

The bereaved widow has been the recipient today of many messages of condolence, among which is this one from Governor Leedy: "The sad intelligence just received brings me to a sense of a personal loss. Permit me to express my sympathy with you and yours. J. W. Leedy."
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Friday ~ May 14, 1897)


Atchison Globe, August 10, 1880

Died - At her residence in West Atchison, Tuesday morning at one o clock, of consumption, Mary S., wife of Lewis M. Ward, in the 28th year of her age. Funeral services at the house at half past 2 o clock, Wednesday afternoon.


Atchison Globe, August 10, 1882

Last night at 6:15 William Ware, clerk of the Atlantic House, breathed his last. On the 1st of June Mr. Ware took a trip to Colorado to recoup his health, but it seems that while there contracted a sort of mountain fever, and came home much worse than when he started. Some ten days ago he was compelled to take to his bed, and the day before yesterday his mother was telegraphed for. Mr. Ware was 26 years old, and had been manager of the Atlantic House for six years. Mrs. Ware, mother of the deceased, will take the remains to Chillicothe, Missouri, this evening for burial.


Wa-tee-cha, a Quapaw Indian, formerly a member of the 16th Kansas, was executed at Lawrence on Friday for the murder of Wm. Hastings. (The Atchison Daily Champion, Wednesday, January 24, 1866, transcribed by Jim Laird)


James Waters, an old citizen of Atchison, died last week. He leaves a wife and four children to mourn his loss. The funeral took place at the Ebenezer Baptist Church, Elder Smothers officiating. He was buried by the Masons, Capt. Matthews conducted the ceremonies.
(Western Recorder ~ Friday ~ January 25, 1884)


A farmer 86, in the Good Intent Community Northwest of Atchison nearly seventy years, died at 6:50 last night at his home, one half mile east of the Good Intent district school.  Death was due to informalities of advanced age.  He was ill in bed for only three days.  Mr. Watowa had lived on the same farm for fifty-five years.

Funeral services will be held at nine this evening at the Stanton and Stanton mortuary and at the same time tomorrow (Friday) evening at the residence.  The body will be taken to the home tomorrow morning.

Mr. Watowa first went to the Good Intent neighborhood in 1870 from Rushville, Mo. Crossing the Missouri River on a ferry. 

He was born October 3, 1853, in Waterloo, Wis.  A son of Joseph and Katherine Watowa, he was still a small child when his parents moved to Jefferson City, Mo. and later to Rushville.

May 6, 1879, He married Miss Anna Falk, a daughter of Mr. Mrs. Henry Falk, north of Atchison.  They took up their residence on the present Watowa farm in 1884.  She died April 11, 1885 to the union were born three children, two of whom are still living.

They are Mrs. Mary Zeit, Shannon and Mrs. Herman Schober, Pueblo, Colorado.  A daughter, Anna died in infancy.

Mr. Watowa married Miss Amanda Smith of Atchison on June 21, 1892 and she died January 29, last. To them were born four children, all of whom survive. They are Mrs. Henry Scherer and Lawrence Watowa both of Good Intent, Mrs. Frank Watowa Jr. of the home.

Other survivors include a step-daughter Mrs. Otto Thornburg, Coalinga, Calif.  A sister Mrs. Dasil Lutz, Atchison, a brother Joe Watowa north of town, 26 grandchildren and 15 great- grandchildren.

Mr. Watowa was an excellent and respected citizen and capable farmer.  His Life was a long and fruitful one. He was a communicant of St. Louis Church. (Atchison Daily Globe - October 13, 1939, Transcribed by Maurene Richard Miller)


Atchison Daily Globe March 29, 1945 J. H. Watowa Dies At Home North Of Town Joseph Herman Watowa. 81, prominent farmer, died this morning at 8:20 o'clock at his home five miles north of town. He had been confined to his bed for the past six months.

Born January 24, 1864, in Buchanan County, Mo., Joseph was the son of the late Joseph and Catherine Fisher Watowa, both natives of Austria. In 1879 he came to Kansas with his parents, locating in Shannon Township on the farm where he lived until his death. He was united in marriage to Theresa Zeit in St. Louis Church, Good Intent, May 24, 1892.


Besides his wife he is survived by six daughters, Mrs. Fred Stolp, route 4, Mrs. Frank Drimmel, Cummings. Mrs. Edward Murphy, Atchison, Mrs. Julius Handke, route 2, Mrs. Charles Falk, Atchison, and Mrs. Joseph Folk, Everest; one son, Joseph Watowa, jr., route 4; 18 grandchildren; one sister, Mrs. Basil Lutz, Atchison.

Mr. Watowa was a life-long member of St. Benedict's church. In May 1942 Mr. and Mrs. Watowa celebrated their golden-wedding anniversary at their home. Funeral arrangements are pending. Harouff & Buis service chapel is in charge. (Transcribed by Maurene Richard Miller)


Atchison Daily Globe August 17, 1972

Good Intent Farmer Dies At Hospital Joseph W. Watowa, 70, route 4, semi-retired farmer of the Good Intent neighborhood northwest of town, died unexpectedly at 12:05 p.m. today at the Atchison hospital of an apparent heart attack. Mr. Watowa had been a patient at the hospital since Aug. 3 when he was admitted for treatment of other than a heart condition.

Born March 31, 1902, on the old Watowa farm north of town, Mr. Watowa was a son of the late Joseph and Theresa Zeit Watowa. He attended the Irish Point school and had been a farmer most of his life.

On Oct. 10, 1939, Mr. Watowa married the former Gertrude D. Kane of the St. Patrick neighborhood south of town, the wedding taking place at St. Patrick's church.

Mr. Watowa was a member of St. Louis church at Good Intent, the Atchison County Cooperative Association and was clerk of the Shannon Township board at the time of his death.

He is survived by two sons, Joe Watowa, 1415 North Third Street, and Gilbert Watowa, route 2; five sisters, Mrs. Frank (Hannah) Drimmel, and Mrs. Charles (Birdie) Falk, both of route 4, and Mrs. Julius (Nellie) Handke, Mrs. Ed (Elizabeth) Murphy and Mrs. Catherine Falk, all of Atchison, and four grandchildren.

Another sister, Mrs. Fred Stolp died in March of this year. The body is at the Stanton Mortuary where funeral arrangements are pending. (Transcribed by Maurene Richard Miller)


The Atchison Daily Globe, Monday March 4, 1946

Mrs. Watowa Dies At 77 - Mrs. Theresa Watowa, 77, widow of Joseph Watowa, died at 11:45 o'clock Saturday night at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Edward Murphy, and Mr. Murphy, 710 Kearney Street. Mrs. Watowa had been in poor health since the death of her husband a year ago. She was bedfast two weeks.

A resident of Atchison County 70 years, Mrs. Watowa had lived all of that time in the Good Intent community northwest of Atchison.

Funeral services will be conducted at 11 a.m. Tuesday at St. Benedict's Church here with burial in Mt. Calvary Cemetery.

The pallbearers will be six grandsons, Francis Stolp, Donald Handke, Robert and LeRoy Murphy, and Clarence and Junior Drimmel.

The rosary will be recited at 8:30 o'clock this evening at the Harouff and Buis service chapel.

Theresa Zeit was a daughter of Joseph and Johanna Zeit and was born in Austria Feb. 11, 1869. She came to America with her parents when seven years old. The family came directly to Atchison County and settled at Good Intent.

She was united in marriage to Joseph H. Watowa at St. Louis Church. Good Intent, May 24, 1882.

Seven children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Watowa, all of whom survive and all of whom were at her bedside when death came.


Mr. and Mrs. Watowa spent all of their married life on the same farm, which was previously the home of his parents. Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Watowa, who were among the earliest pioneers of the county. They celebrated their golden wedding anniversary in 1942.

Joseph H. Watowa's death occurred Mar. 29. 1945.

Mrs. Watowa was one of Atchison County’s most beloved women. During her long and useful lifetime she performed countless acts of charity and kindness and was devoted to her family and her many friends. She was a devout member of St. Benedict's Church and the St. Ann's Altar Society.

Her children are Mrs. Fred Stolp, route 4; Mrs. Frank Drimmel, Cummings; Mrs. Edward Murphy, Atchison; Mrs. Julius Handke, route 2; Joseph Watowa, jr., route 4, Mrs. Charles Falk, route 4, and Mrs. Joseph Falk. jr., Everest.  Also surviving are 18 grandchildren and a sister, Miss Amelia Zeit, route 4. (Transcribed by Maurene Richard Miller)


Atchison Globe, December 19, 1887

The remains of Abram Weaver will be buried at two o'clock tomorrow afternoon, in Oak Hill cemetery. Nearly all of his children, including his son, Jas. R. Weaver, Congressman from Iowa, are expected to arrive in the city in time for the funeral.



Atchison, Kan., June 13 --- John Webb, a well-known farmer, suicided at Nortonville this morning by fracturing his skull with a hatchet and cutting his throat witha pocket-knife.
(Barton County Democrat ~ June 16, 1899 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


Atchison Globe,July 25, 1889

Mr. Jacob Weinmann died this morning at 9:35 o'clock, at his home in Walnut township. He was a native of Wurtemburg, Germany, emigrating to this country in 1853, and settling in Atchison in 1859. He suffered from a blood abcess, which broke on Saturday; he lingered until this morning. He leaves a wife and nine children, most of whom are grown. Funeral tomorrow, with interment in the Mount Pleasant cemetery.



Charles Welsh, 11 years old, of Atchison, died of spinal meningitis brought on in a peculiar way. A month ago he with several playmates held their heads under water to see which could remain in that position the longest. The following day Charles fell into a stupor and never gained consciousness.
(Sedan Lance ~ Friday ~ April 26, 1907)


Mrs. Elizabeth West, a well known colored woman of Lowemont, died Saturday of pneumonia, aged 40 years.  The funeral occurred Sunday, and the interment at the Van Winkle cemetery.
(Atchison Daily Champion ~ Thursday ~ February 3, 1898 ~ Page 3)


Atchison Globe, February 27, 1889

The remains of Will Wetzel were buried in Mt. Vernon cemetery this afternoon. His mother and father are in California, but he has a brother and a sister, Morris and Mary, in Atchison.


Atchison Globe, October 2, 1879

Died - At the residence of her son-in-law, Jesse D. Coplan, Mrs. C. A. Wheeler, late of Des Moines, Iowa. Funeral from the residence, corner of Seventh and Santa Fe streets, Saturday afternoon at 3 o clock. Des Moines Register please copy.


Mr. William White, aged 37 years, departed this life Sunday Jan. 10th at 7 o'clock at his home on Utah avenue, of tuberculosis. He was a member of Mt. Olive church of which Rev. W. S. Blake is pastor. The funeral services were held at Mount Olive and Rev. Blake preached a noble and powerful sermon. The floral offerings were beautiful. Mr. White had many friends in Atchison who will miss him in the near future. His remains were laid to rest in the Mount Vernon cemetery.
(Plaindealer ~ Friday ~ January 15, 1915)



The Father of the Whiteker Bros. Passes Away

J. W. Whiteker died at his home on Spruce street, Sunday, after a long illness.  Mr. Whiteker was born in Harrison county, Kentucky, in 1827, and came to Kansas in 1872, locating first at Atchison.  He lived there four years and then moved to a farm in Jackson county where he lived until a few years ago when he came to this city.  He was the father of the Whiteker brothers, fruit dealers.  His wife survives him.  His remains were taken to Atchison yesterday for burial.

On the same day, Mr. William Staples, an old gentleman who lived on the Whiteker farm, died.  Several weeks ago Mr. Staples was injured in a runaway and never fully recovered.  He was buried in the cemetery north of town yesterday.  Mr. Staples also was a native of Kentucky and was about the same age as Mr. Whiteker.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Topeka, KS ~ Tuesday ~ June 2, 1896 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


Miss Anna Whitley died at her home on south 6th St. last Monday morning at 2 o'clock.  She was buried Tuesday at 3 p.m.  Funeral was preached at Ebenezer Baptist Church by Rev. Smothers.
(Atchison Blade ~ Saturday ~ August 27, 1892 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


Robert Wiggins, aged 26, committed suicide at Atchison, Kan., by shooting himself.  No cause is known.
(Barbour County Index ~ November 29, 1893 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)



Pioneer Kansan and Well-Known Politician Passses Away Near Atchison---His Wealthy Estimated at $300,000

Atchison, Kan., May 5---I. B. Wilcox, aged 66, fusion representative in the legislature from the country district of Atchison county died unexpectedly last night at his home near Muscotah. Wilcox owned valuable property in Kansas City, Mo., and many farms in Kansas. His wealth is estimated at $300,000. He has been prominent in Kansas since in 1863. He made the original government surveys of much of the land in western Kansas and surveyed for the Central Branch in northern Kansas and for the Kansas Pacific from Leavenworth to Lawrence.
(Emporia Gazette ~ Saturday ~ May 5, 1900)



John H. Wild, foreman of the Santa Fe freight depot at Atchison, took laudanum with suicidal intent the other night and died next morning.  Despondency as the result of not being able to stop drinking was thought to have been the cause.
(Barton County Democrat ~ April 4, 1895 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)



Mr. Charley Wilson who attempted to commit suicide a short time ago died Sunday night. He was a very industrious young man.
(Plandealer ~ Topeka, KS ~ Friday ~ January 1, 1915)


Frank J. Wilson, 35 years old, committed suicide at Atchison by drinking poison.  At an inquiry conducted two hours after his death his wife told the coroner jealousy prompted hi act and said he had often threatened to kill himself.  His wife and two sons survive.
(Hays Free Press ~ July 25, 1918 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


Miss Mary Wilson, aged 18 years, who recently died with consumption, was buried yesterday at Mount Vernon.
(American Citizen ~ Friday ~ February 8, 1889)


Atchison Globe, April 28, 1881

Died - Last night at nine o clock, Mrs. Susie Wincheck, (Mrs. Charley) aged 27 years and 7 months. Funeral from the residence on West Commercial street tomorrow afternoon at 2 o clock and burial in the Mt. Vernon cemetery.


Atchison Globe, March 27, 1887

Peter Wines, an old inhabitant, died at his residence at 913 South Sixth street last night, aged sixty nine. His funeral will occur tomorrow morning.



Miss Anna Winfrey, who for the past few weeks had been suffering from an attack of malarial fever, died on the 8th at her residence on Eighth and Mound streets. Funeral services was held Saturday, the Rev. W. S. Blake officiating.
(Plaindealer, Topeka, KS ~ Friday ~ September 19, 1913)


Atchison Globe, April 28, 1882

Died, at 11 o'clock a.m., April 28th, of membraneous croup, Roy, son and only child of Sam and Nannie Wolters, at the tender age of 3 years 3 months and 25 years. Funeral from their residence in West Atchison tomorrow at 3 p.m.

WOOD,  E. H.


Suicide in Atchison Left Note Asking No Probe Be Made

Atchison, Jan. 6 --- Efforts to locate relatives of E. H. Wood, who committed suicide in a local hotel yesterday by shooting himself in the head with a revolver, have been unsuccessful.  His sole possessions consisted of $49 in bills and a pocket comb.  He came to Atchison from St. Joseph, Saturday afternoon, going to a room in the hotel immediately after he registered.  He was 45 ot 50 years old, of sandy complexion and had gray eyes.  A note found in a coat pocket read, "Burry me here.  Do not look for relatives."
(Topeka State Journal ~ January 6, 1920 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


The funeral of Mrs. Margaret Woods took place at the Shiloh Baptist church last Wednesday at 2 o'clock. Mrs. Woods was a member of the church and was loved by all. The funeral was conducted by Rev. B. F. Ratliff. She leaves a husband and four children to mourn her loss.
(Leavenworth Advocate ~ Saturday ~ February 22, 1890)


Atchison Globe, May 17, 1888

Hiram E. Woodworth, aged 27 years, son of the proprietor of the Windsor hotel, and a clerk in that establishment, died last evening of quinsy. He attended one of the performances at the opera house last week given by the Eunice Goodrich combination and sat in the draught, contracting a severe cold, which resulted in his death. The remains were buried at 4 p.m. today.



Charles Worth, an orphan boy, fourteen years of age, died at the Atchison hospital at 1:40 o'clock yesterday morning, following an operation for appendicitis.  The boy has no relatives and was being provided for by the Rev. Jesse Bader and the Christian Sunday school.

The boy came to Atchison from Kansas City five weeks ago and stayed for a time at the Merritt Hotel.  Later through the efforts of the Rev. Bader he secured employment at the Western Union Telegraph Company.

Three weeks ago Mr. and Mrs. Charles Cummings, who reside three miles west of town, offered the boy a home and he was taken there.  He was removed to the hospital ten days ago.

In telling his story the boy said that he had no relatives in this country, to the best of his knowledge.  He came to America with his parents when five years of age.  His father died two years after and when the boy was nine years old he lost his mother, who died of tuberculosis.

The funeral services will be held from the chapel of Sawin & Douglas Undertaking company at 1 p.m. this afternoon and burial will be in the Cummings cemetery.
(Atchison Daily Champion ~ Tuesday ~ December 15, 1914 ~ Page 6)



Deceased Had Lived in Muscotah Four Years

Miss Ella Carrie Williams, who had been ill for many months, died at 4:20 o'clock Tuesday morning at her home west of Muscotah.  Miss Williams was born at Rescue, Neb., in 1879, moving to this community about four years ago.  A young woman of excellent Christian character and pleasing personality.  She has won in that time many friends who have been deeply grieved by her illness and death.  She was a member of the Congregational church and for some time a teacher in the Sunday school.  Besides her parents, she is survived by eight brothers and one sister.  Funeral services will be held Tuesday afternoon at three o'clock at the Methodist church and interment will be in the Muscotah cemetery.  Rev. Fred Grey of the Congregational church will conduct the services.
(Atchison Daily Champion ~ Thursday ~ August 20, 1914 ~ Page 6)


Mrs. Fred Walton, who gave birth to a baby Sunday, is critically ill.  The baby died and was buried in the Muscotah cemetery Sunday afternoon.  Mrs. Walton's mother, Mrs. G. Berry of Rushville, Mo., is with her.
(Atchison Daily Champion ~ Wednesday ~ May 26, 1915 ~ Page 3)


The body of Fred Gottfried Wohlgemuth, 70 years of age, will arrive in Atchison tomorrow, from Peoria, Ill., for interment in the Camp Creek cemetery, near Farmington.  Mr. Wohlgemuth was a cousin of Henry Wohlgemuth, a farmer of the Parnell neighborhood.
(Atchison Daily Globe ~ December 27, 1921)


William H. Wohlgemuth, Jr., two months old, died at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. William H. Wohlgemuth, five miles southwest of Atchison this morning.  Funeral services will be held from the residence at 2 o'clock tomorrow afternoon and will be conducted by the Rev. W. E. Wheeler.  Burial will be in the Camp Creek cemetery.
(Atchison Daily Globe ~ December 14, 1923)



Mrs. Henry Wohlgemuth, 80, died Saturday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock at the Atchison hospital following a heart attack.  She ahd been in failing health several months but had gone about her daily tasks as usual at her farm home near Parnell, where she had lived since her marriage to Mr. Wohlgemuth, which occurred in Atchison, Nov. 29, 1892.

Funeral services will be held Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the Camp Creek Evangelical church with the Rev. Clinton Wendland officiating, assisted by the Rev. Carol Gilbert of Emporia.  Burial will be in the Camp Creek cemetery.  The body will remain at the Stanton & Stanton funeral home until 1 o'clock Tuesday when it will lie in state at the church until funeral time.

Mrs. Wohlgemuth, the former Susanna Hotz, was born March 26, 1867 in Zurich, Switzerland, where she received her education.  She was employed in a silk factory there until coming to America in 1889 with members of her family.  She resided in Washington for a time but since her marriage to Mr. Wohlgemuth she had lived in this community.

Always a faithful wife and loving mother Mrs. Wohlgemuth's chief interests were her family, home and church of which she was a member since her youth.

She is survived by her husband, Henry Wohlgemuth; eight children, Mrs. August Bodenhausen, Edward Wohlgemuth and Emil Wohlgemuth, all of Cummings; William Wohlgemuth, Lancaster, Mrs. Chester Moore, Atchison, Mrs. Claude Neill, Great Bend, and Albert Wohlgemuth and Mrs. Floyd Armstrong, route 3.  A daughter, Mrs. Bertha Thompson preceded her mother in death in May, 1945.  Also surviving are 39 grandchildren, six great-grandchildren and a brother, John Hotz, Lookeba, Okla.  Unable to attend the funeral will be her daughter, Mrs. Moore, who is a patient at the Atchison hospital recovering from an operation; a granddaugther, Mrs. Robert Tretheway of Cairo, Egypt, a grandson, Ralph Moore, San Francisco, and two grandsons, Privates Robert Thompson and Roy Moore, who are stationed at Japan.

While in failing health these past several months, Mrs. Wohlgemuth received excellent care and much attention from her husband and family.
(Atchison Daily Globe ~ July 14, 1947) 



Miss Stella Wilson, 21 years old, died last night at the home of her mother, Mrs. Jack Custer, in St. Joe.  She was born near Highland and lived nearly all her life with her aunt, Mrs. Willis Bishop, near Monrovia.  Last winter she suffered an attack of influenza-pneumonia, which left her lungs infected, and she subsequently underwent two operations.  The body will be taken to Monrovia tomorrow, and the funeral will take place Monday morning, at 10 o'clock from the Monrovia Methodist church.  Burial will be in the Monrovia cemetery.  Miss Wilson is survived by her mother, her father, John Wilson, of Kansas City; a brother, Clarence Wilson, of Monrovia, and a sister, Mrs. Mamie Buttron, of Highland.  Miss Wilson was a granddaughter of George Donovan, of Monrovia.
(Atchison Daily Globe ~ Saturday ~ October 30, 1920 ~ Page 4)


In every home from which a child has been removed by death there is a painful sense of vacancy, and dreary is that home which misses first those mutual interchanges that knit together all the happy family.  Such is the home of Dr. and Mrs. D. H. Woods.  Walter, their youngest son, who was stricken with acute indigestion last Thursday was taken by the angel of peace about eleven o'clock Tuesday morning.  Thursday morning little Walter's health was as good as usual, but Thursday noon he was stricken unconscious and never rellied.  Had he lived until next November he would have been six years old, and was unusually bright for a child his age.  The funeral was held Thursday afternoon at 1:30 from the home.  Rev. Frank G. Richard, formerly pastor of the Effingham Christian church, conducted the services.  The burial was in the Effingham cemetery.
(New Leaf ~ Effingham, KS ~ Friday ~ August 11, 1911 ~ Page 2)



John Ernest Wood, 71, formerly of Atchison, died this morning at the Plaza Nursing Home in Kansas City, Mo., where he was admitted in June of 1975.

Funeral services will be held Thursday at 2 p.m. at the Stanton chapel with the Rev. Roy Fields, Jr., pastor of the First Christian church, officiating.  Burial will be in the Alderson cemetery northwest of Atchison.

Members of the family will receive friends from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesday at the mortuary.

Mr. Wood, a retired dairy farmer, made his home at 1417 Utah avenue in Atchison.  He resided with his son, Gerald Wood, Kansas City, Mo., nine months before entering the nursing home.

He was born Jan. 23, 1905, in Atchison county, a son of Charles Edward and Nora Hennigh Wood, and attended the Irish Point school.

Mr. Wood was a member of the First Christian church.

Surviving are a daughter, Mrs. Betty Martinez, Kansas City, Mo.; two other sons, John E. Wood, Jr., Kansas City, Kas., and James A. Wood, Topeka; a sister, Mrs. Everett (Ruth) Winzer, Sr., route 2; two brothers, Earl Wood, Atchison, and Clarence Wood, Kansas City, Kas., and three grandchildren.

Four brothers and two sisters preceded him in death.
(Atchison Daily Globe ~ August 31, 1976 ~ Page 9)


Back to Index Page
Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All rights reserved to Kansas Genealogy Trails' Atchison County host & all Contributors