To the Close of 1865
by T. F. Robley
Fort Scott, Kansas 1894
THE ARTS OF PEACE
The idea of improving their homes, establishing schools and churches, instituting county fairs, building railways, etc., began to take possession I of the people. Hardly a week passed that there was not an enthusiastic meeting in the interest of some line. Among the proposed roads were the "Tebo and Neosho," afterwards the Missouri, Kansas and Texas, the "Fort Scott, Neosho and Santa Fe" and the "Lake Superior, Fort Scott and Galveston. There was some talk of the "Hudson's Bay, Fort Scott and Honduras,'' but they considered that it would be too nearly a parallel line and would interfere with the business and carrying trade of the Lake Superior, Fort Scott and Galveston route, so that project was dropped.
The question of an Agricultural Society, County Fair, etc., received due attention. At a meeting held at Marmaton on the 14th of June, at which A. G. Osbun was President, and W. R. Griffith, Secretary, it was resolved to form an association to be known as "The Bourbon County Agricultural Society." J. M. Liggitt, A. Decker, and Judge Farwell were appointed a committee to draft a constitution and report at the next meeting.
At the next meeting the Bourbon County Agricultural Society was fully organized by the election of the following officers: President, Dr. A. G. Osbun; Vice-President, Richard Stadden; Secretary, Wm. R. Griffith; Treasurer, Isaac N. Mills; Executive Committee, H. C. Moore, Aaron Decker, Ezekiel Brown, Harrison Martin and S. B. Farwell. The first annual exhibition was to be held at the residence of Mr. Griffith, near Marmaton, on the 24th and 25th of October.
The Fair was held according to programme, and was better than could have been expected under the circumstances. There had been no rain for a year, but they did the best they could. They were a little short on big pumpkins and long corn, but the show of live stock and fancy work was very good.
POPULATION N. Y. INDIAN LANDS
During the spring of i860, Will Gallaher took the census of this part of the Territory, and returned the following statistics: Number of inhabitants in Bourbon County, 6,102; deaths during the year ending June 1, i860, 101; mills and manufacturing establishments, 9; farmers, 1,200. Inhabitants on the Cherokee Neutral Lands, 2,025.
As was stated in the first part of this book, the number of Indian claims allowed on the New York lands was thirty-two, equal to 10,240 acres. This tract had been located in the neighborhood of Barnesville. The residue of the tract, comprising a million acres of the best land in Kansas, was turned over to the General Land Office as public land, subject to entry and sale, about the 20th of June, i860. The plats were at the Land Office in Fort Scott, and settlers commenced filing and pre-empting.
In reference to those thirty-two allotments, in several instances the occupying Indians were driven off at the time the Free State men in the same locality were driven out in 1856, and some of them never returned. Their lands were taken possession of by white settlers, who were afterwards permitted to acquire title from the Government. The Indians so driven off afterwards applied to the Court of Claims for compensation, and their claims were allowed thirty years later.
ON THE NEUTRAL LANDS
By this time a large number of settlers had gone onto the Cherokee Neutral Land, squatted on claims, built cabins and made other improvements. They were trespassers by law and by treaty stipulations, but they claimed the usual pioneers equity in Indian lands, and had the moral support, at least, of all the other settlers.
On October 27, i860, the agent of the Cherokees, with a body of troops, commenced the work of driving all the settlers off the Neutral Land. Orders to that end were issued by the Commissioners of General Land Office in the spring, but on a representation of the facts tern porarily suspended. The present move was entirely unexpected. From 75 to 100 houses were burned, and as many families rendered destitute. These were in outlying settlements. When the agent reached Drywood he found the settlers united and determined, and concluded to give them one month's grace. There was not a Cherokee on the land, and, moreover, there was no desire on the part of the Indians that the whites should be disturbed.
Delegations were sent to Washington by the business men of Fort Scott in the interest of the settlers on the Neutral Lands in Bourbon County. Colonel Wilson, who was familiar with the Cherokee people, went to Tahlequa to ascertain the feeling of the head men in reference to a sale of the Neutral Land. But the matter was not quite ripe. In several instances the settlers on the Neutral Land married Cherokee women, thereby becoming "squawmen" legally Cherokees- and entitled to a "headright," and thus securing their claims. Old man Hathaway, on Drywood, was one instance in this county.
As has been noted, there was a very large immigra-tion into this county during the winter and spring of i860, "too numerous to mention." Among the many who came to Fort Scott that spring must be noted the arrival of John S. Miller and family on the 5th of March. Mr. Miller was from Pennsylvania, of the old "Pennsylvania Dutch" stock, and was a most excellent man and citizen. He was active in business circles, and in the affairs of the city, township and county.
ARRIVAL OF TROOPS
About the 1st of December, i860, General Harney and staff arrived. The command came the next day. It numbered about 180 men. The. officers were Brigadier General Harney, Captain Jones, A. A. G.; Lieutenant Armstrong, Aid; Lieutenant Tidball, A. A. Q. M.; Swift and Brewer, Surgeons; Lieutenant Mullins, ist Dragoons; Captain Barry and Lieutenants Fry, Bargar, Sullivan and Perry of the artillery.
The Jennison "circuit'' detailed some pages back, had occasioned a great scare, and the troops came here for the purpose of protecting the border. The Governor of Missouri had also sent a brigade of Missouri militia to the State line under command of Gen. D. M. Frost, afterwards of the rebel army, and of "Camp Jackson*' fame. One purpose of having troops at Fort Scott was to be present at the land sales which occurred on the 3d of December, i860. Only fourteen 80-acre tracts were disposed of, at prices ranging from $1.25 to 5.50 per acre. The attendance was very large. The lands were all offered by ia o'clock, and the people went home satisfied their claims were safe for another year.
THE GREAT DROUTH
The year i860 is known as the "dry year." The long drouth really commenced in the latter part of 1859. The year 1859 up to August or September was very seasonable. Crops were all made and the yield was immense. It was most fortunate they were so, for the crops of 1859 saved the people in the next year. Corn turned out from sixty to ninety bushels to the acre. Even sod corn made an immense yield.
The Fort Scott Democrat of November 10, 1859, is the authority for the statement that "Mr. Buckner, living between Marmaton and Mill Creek, this season raised six hundred bushels of corn on seven acres of sod." Wheat and oats were good. Prairie grass grew to a height of from three to four feet.
The immigrants coming in that spring and summer, seeing the rich overflow of a bounteous harvest, and the summer tide of glorious verdure, hearing on every side the gurgling springs and brooks as they trilled in limpid silver down the ravines, thought that this was in truth the Elysian fields, the abode of the blest, and they felt like sending up their voices in grand diapason of the vox humana. If such was the natural condition, they thought, if vegetation existed in such luxuriance, if every "draw" contained a spring and every ravine was a creek, it certainly surpassed any country of which they had ever dreamed.
But the scene was to change.
About the 1st day of September, 1859, it quit rain-ing. The 1st of January, i860, came, but still no rain or "falling weather." The winter crept along, not very cold but very dry. Spring came, and still no rain. The farmer plowed as usual for crops, which were planted at the usual time, but no rain yet. Corn and other crops sprouted and came up, but no showers gladdened the tender shoots. The wind blew incessantly from the southwest. Occasionally a cloud would come over about the size of a ten-acre lot, and it would sprinkle a little. Sometimes a bank of clouds would loom up in the northwest in the evening, shake their heads and disappear. On the 16th of June a thunder shower came up, and it lightened and thundered and blowed and raged, and it rained-a little; so little that it was only an aggravation.
Corn made a brave effort to grow. It was pitiful to look at. It held up its withered blades as if imploring the brazen heavens to let down rain. The poor, little spindling stalks grew up about three feet high, tasseled out, and then died. During the first part of July the thermometer ranged from 98 to 104 degrees in the shade. In the sun at midday is was 1320. By the middle of July the heat was simply awful. It is a matter of record thai on the 13th, and for weeks after that, the thermometer often went up to 112, 113 and 114 degrees in the shade. There was a wind-almost a gale sometimes-but it came up, seemingly, with a spiral twist-hot, scorching, withering, like a blast from a seething furnace. People sought their houses and closed the doors and windows to keep it out. The foliage on the trees withered up and blew off. The prairie grass, which had grown up about three inches high, turned brown and was dry enough to burn. It is said that eggs would roast in the sand at midday-were actually so roasted. There is no doubt of it. The thermometer was 146 degrees in the sun. Thus the terrible drouth continued day after day, week after week, month after month.
Springs, wells, water everywhere, gave out. The farmer sought the lowest "draw" on his place and dug down for water, sometimes with partial success. The creeks and larger streams were perfectly dry except in the large "holes," which, ordinarily from ten to fifteen feet in depth, were reduced to muddy, stagnant puddles. There would often be a stretch of a mile or more between these pools in which the bottom of the river was dry and dusty, and the dry leaves, lately fallen from the trees, would rustle and swirl in the little whirlwinds as they swept up and down the river bed.
In the latter part of September or first part of October the drouth was partially broken. It rained a little. The rains were not general or heavy, but it rained enough to freshen up the stagnant pools, and form many small ones. Stock water was not so scarce, and once more the cow and yoke of steers could have enough to drink.
The drouth had lasted for more than a year. Dates of its beginning and ending vary with localities, but it may be said, in general, that there were from twelve to fourteen calendar months during which time the total rainfall did not exceed one inch.
Of course all crops were practically a failure. In fields around the base of the mounds, which in ordinary years are wet and springy, and in some places in the low bottom lands some corn was raised, in some instances as much as five bushels to the acre, of little wormy-ended nubbins. Sorghum sugar cane did better than any other crop. In fact, it made a fair yield where planted, and all that fall the creak of the cane mills could be heard in neighborhoods where they had been fortunate enough to have planted cane.
In the year before, a good crop of cane had been raised on a small patch of ground on the farm of Dr. A. G. Osbun. In harvesting the cane that fall the seed had rattled out over the ground and in the spring it came up quite a thick "volunteer" crop. It grew that season about four or five feet high, being so thick on the ground, and was cut and put up like hay, and fed to the horses and other stock that winter.
Unfortunately but few farmers in this county had sorghum seed, and but little was planted. In Linn County this crop was quite general and very good. The farmers there made any amount of molasses, but some had nothing to "put it on." Children were often seen eating sorghum molasses off a chip instead of their much loved crust of corn bread.
This general failure of crops of course caused much suffering, especially as winter approached and the store of old corn in the country became more nearly exhausted. Many were compelled to leave the country temporarily, to seek subsistence. In such cases where the family had a claim it was the tacit understanding that their claims should be protected until their return the next year.
Efforts were begun that fall in the direction of securing aid. Delegations were sent East to represent the facts and solicit help. Considerable aid was received in this county, but not as much as in that part of the country contiguous to the Missouri river, up which all freights had to come at that day. From here it was a round trip of two hundred miles to Wyandotte.
There were a few intermittent rains and snows during that fall and winter, but the flood gates were not opened and the streams flushed until early in April, 1861.
Kansas was admitted as a State on the 29th day of January, 1861. It came to the fireside of the Union only to witness the frowning and wayward sisters of the South departing, one by one, across the threshold, out into the darkness-out into the coming storm. But Kansas came not in the innocence of childhood, nor like ua fair young girl, with light and delicate limbs and waving tresses," but "like a bearded man; armed to the teeth, one mailed hand grasping the broad shield and one the sword; its brow, glorious though it be, o is scarred with tokens of old wars." On its shield was written, Ad Astra per Aspera ; on its sword, Excalibur Expurgatorius.
The Territorial probation was at an end. The untried and unexampled task set before it had been accomplished, not as designed by the spirit of the past ages, but as marked out by the advancing rays of the Nineteenth Century.
The Territorial Legislature adjourned on the and day of February, to meet no more. 11 Governor Charles Robinson was sworn into office on the 9th day of February, as the first Governor of the State of Kansas. He convened the State Legislature, elected under the Wyandotte Constitution, on the 26th day of March. The members of that Legislature from Bourbon County were: J. C. Burnett, of Mapleton, Senator. Horatio Knowles, of Marmaton, S. B. Mahurin, of Scott, and J. T. Neal, of Osage, were the Representatives. James H. Lane and S. C. Pomeroy were elected United States Senators on the 4th day of April.
The population of the City of Fort Scott was now about 500. At the regular spring election for muni-cipal officers the result was as follows :-Mayor, Joseph Ray; Councilmen, H. T. Wilson, J. S. Redfield, A. McDonald and Chas. W. Blair; Clerk, William Gallaher; Treasurer, C. W. Goodlander; Recorder, J. S. Miller; Assessor, A. R. Allison; Marshal, R. L. Philips; Street Commissioner, J. G. Stuart.
The vote was 83, which indicated about the popula-tion of 500, as stated.
The Southern States had now nearly all seceded and their Provisional Government was in full operation at Montgomery, Alabama.
Still, the people of Bourbon County, in common with the entire North, laid the flattering unction to their souls that in some way, or by some means, the impend-ing war might yet be averted. The Governor of the State had appointed four commissioners to the Peace Convention, two of whom had voted for peace and compromise. Meetings were held in various parts of this county, all of which expressed sentiments of conservatism, and especially a spirit of conciliation towards the people of the neighboring State of Missouri living along our border. The leading Democratic citizens of Fort Scott united with the Republicans in a letter to James H. Lane, inviting him to come down and make a speech. He accepted, and came about the 15th of March, and spoke at a public meeting that day.
The attendance at the meeting v was very large,
and included many citizens of the adjoining portion of Missouri. Lane advocated the cultivation of amicable relations
between the people of the two States. He advised the belligerent portion of the Kansas people to "get a bag
of meal under the bed, a ham in the cellar, and a dress for the baby," before engaging in a war which would
be certain to desolate and impoverish the whole country.
The circumstances attending this meeting,-the congregation of a mass of men who had been so long in a whirling eddy of sectional discord,-the appointment on working committees of men who had heretofore entertained such widely differing opinions,-is worthy of historical note.
The old order of things had passed away. The public mind was adjusting itself on new lines; the political atmosphere was clearing up-clear as a bell, and the bell had but one tone.
On the 12th of April, 1861, was fired the first gun ot the civil war. By a singular coincidence the deed was performed by an old fellow with whose name we have become quite familiar. It was Ruffian. He was probably not the "Ruffian" of our acquaintance, but his act in pulling the lanyard over that old smoothbore Napoleon gun, which fired the first shot against Fort Sumpter, was the climax of the political doctrine that had been taught, not only to our Border Ruffian, but to the entire people of the South. The firing of that gun was the natural and logical sequence and culmination of that spirit-that political essence which the people of Kansas had contended against for four long years, and which the Government, and the people of all the other states were to now take up on an appeal, and enter into a gigantic trial of another four year's duration.
The artillery "heard around the world" on that April day opened the greatest conflict the world has ever seen. It was the grandest, most momentous sound ever heard on earth. Artillery is God's own music. The reverberating thunder of artillery, the steady tread of contending hosts-fierce, bloody war- these are God's instruments for the advancement" and civilization of the human race, and have been since the days of Joshua.
Every war in every nation,-every war between nations,-cuts through the film of ignorance on the eyes of the people, and advances the banner of regeneration and disenthralment. The real camp followers are freedom, tolerance, invention, science. War breaks the fetters of the serf and the slave; it unyokes the woman from the plow team; it casts off the wooden sabots of the listeners to the Angelus.
THE WAR FEELING IN BOURBON COUNTY
After the war had actually commenced, after the
first "overt act," as we called it, the conservatism, the doubts, the hesitation, of our people were
laid aside, together with their politics. The Democrat, the only newspaper in the county, came out early and declared
that it abandoned all party affiliations and announced itself "for the constitution, and the union, and a
supporter of the new Administration so long as it shall labor in the direction of their perpetuity." That
was the universal sentiment. If war must come the feeling was not only to prepare for it but to prosecute it to
the end. Our people realized, also, more nearly than those of other sections of the North the full import of what
was to come. The '"Ninety Day" theory of Secretary Seward met with no believers. The opinion was, also,
often expressed, that the war would result in the extinction of human slavery on this continent.
At a meeting held in the office of C. W. Blair, Esq., Wednesday evening following, two volunteer com-panies were organized and the following officers elected; First company-Captain, C. W. Blair; First lieutenant, A. R. Allison; Second Lieutenant, R. L. Phillips; Third Lieutenant, Chas. Bull; Ensign, Wm. R. Judson. Second company-Captain, A. McDonald; First Lieutenant, Charles Dimon; Second Lieutenant, William Gallaher; Third Lieutenant, A. F. Bicking; Ensign, O. S. Dillon. The officers were elected by the combined vote of both companies, leaving each man to decide afterwards with which company he would connect himself.
There were two companies formed in Dry wood township
about this same time, under command of Captains Henry Coffman and E. J. Boring, and one company on the head of
Lightning Creek officered by John T. Mc-Whirt, Roswell Seeley, John Tully, John F. Gates and Sam McWhirt.
The Fourth of July had now come, and was quite a gala day in Fort Scott. It had been arranged that Fort Scott Guards, Nos. 1 and 2, should have a parade and drill, and several companies from the surrounding country were invited to join them. The company from Drywood (cavalry,) Capt. Boring, and Mill Creek company, (infantry,) Capt. Hall, responded to the invitation.
At 10 a. m. the Guards formed at their respective armories, and after a little marching and counter-marching, went out to meet and escort in Captain Boring's company. The field music was excellent. The Drywood boys were received with hearty cheers and escorted into town, where the Mill Creek boys were met and received with like cordiality. After dinner the cavalry was drilled by Captain John Hamilton, and the infantry had a battalion drill under E. A. Smith. At five o'clock the battalion was dismissed, and all parties returned to their homes, mutually pleased with the Fourth of July and each other.
On the 5th day of July the battle of Carthage was fought. This occasioned great alarm and apprehension. We had a war sure enough and it was getting uncomfortably close.
Shortly after the Carthage affair General Lyon authorized Captains W. T. Campbell and W. C. Ransom to raise two companies of one hundred men each, to serve as Home Guards. Then two other com-panies were raised by Captains Z. Gower and Lewis R. Jewell, and these four companies were the origin and foundation of the Sixth Kansas Cavalry.
Proximity of war in Missouri led J. H. Lane, who was posing as Brigadier General of Volunteers, in command of Kansas troops, to "fortify" Fort Lincoln, on the Osage River. The work done there, in a military or common sense view, was simply idiotic. He went down on the very lowest bottom land of the river, where he threw up an earth-work about the size of a calf-pen and then blazoned it forth as a great military fortification.
In the latter part of August a considerable force was being concentrated at Fort Scott. Old Jim Montgomery had of course, by this time, gotten a regiment together, and five companies of the Third Kansas under him arrived on the 20th of August. Other Kansas troops arrived from time to time until the aggregate force was about two thousand men. Fort Scott was now headquarters for General Lane's brigade.
The rebel Generals, Price and Raines, were operating in Western Missouri with several thousand men, and contemplated an attack on Southeastern Kansas. On the 1st of September General Raines with his division approached within twelve miles of Fort Scott, on the southeast, and a scouting party came within two miles of town and captured a corral full of mules, and drove in Lane's pickets. A force of 500 cavalry with one 12 pound howitzer, was sent out the next day to reconnoitre. They ran into the rebel pickets and drove them across Drywood creek, where they were reinforced, and quite a rattling good skirmish was fought, until the ammunition of the Union forces gave out, when they fell back in good order on Fort Scott. The official reports give the Union loss in this action as five killed and twelve wounded. The rebel loss was about the same. In the meantime the infantry force occupied the heights east and southeast of town. These troops were reinforced by an impromptu company, organized that morning, of such men as McDonald, Drake and the other citizens who were not already in line on the hill. This company was sworn into the service, drew arms and ammunition, and marched to the front in two rows like regulars. They still belong to the army. They were never mustered out. Some of them have their arms yet. Drake says his old musket is down in the cellar now, with the same load in it he put in on that day. Some of these days a little Lieutenant may come along and order them out on advance picket with three days' cooked rations, or he may order them to the Soldier's Home. They never drew pay. They are presumably entitled to back pay and bounty up to date. They are certainly all entitled to pensions by reason of rheumatism, superinduced by exposure while in line of duty. But they did their full duty that day, and if there had been a fight would have held on as long as anybody.
The entire force waited on the crest of the hill
until night for the expected attack of General Raines. About dark a raging thunder storm which follows after all
great battles-came up, and the boys, concluding that it would affect the rebels just as it did them, returned to
town and sought shelter in camp.
THE SIXTH KANSAS
The Sixth Kansas Cavalry was organized at Fort Scott on the 9th of September, 1861. A large part of this regiment was Bourbon County men. W. R. Judson was Colonel. The first Lieutenant-Colonel was Lewis R. Jewell, who was killed at the battle of Cane Hill, Ark., November 28, 1862. W. T. Campbell was then promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel, and served through the war. Wyllys C. Ransom was Major. C. O. Judson was Adjutant until March, 1862. Isaac Stadden was then Adjutant until August, 1862. The Quartermasters were successively Geo. J. Clark, S. B. Gordon, Charles W. Jewell and Levi Bronson. Dr. John S. Redfield was surgeon until February 21, 1865, when he was mustered out and returned home. Capt. John Rogers, Captain of Company K, was killed by bushwhackers near the south line of this county on the 2nd of June, 1864. John G. Harris, lieutenant of Company K, was badly wounded at Cane Hill, Ark., by a ball passing clear through his neck. He recovered, and after the war was Sheriff of Bourbon County. The other line officers of the Sixth Kansas who lived in this county have been mentioned.
Jewell County in this State was named in honor of Colonel Lewis R. Jewell, when that County was organized in 1867, at the instance of Samuel A. Manlove, who was that year a member of the Legislature from Fort Scott.
Fort Scott was again established as a military post and a depot of supplies. From two thousand to ten thousand troops were making transitory stops here, arriving and departing and shifting about as the necessities of the case seemed to require. Long wagon trains of Government supplies,- hardtack, bacon, beans, rice, coffee and sugar, of the Commissary department, and blue uniforms, boots and shoes, blankets, etc., of the Quartermaster department were constantly coming and going, and the grand chorus of a thousand voices from the mule corral was the first thing heard in the morning and the last at night.
SOME MORE POLITICS
In October, 1861, the Republican State Committee was petitioned by a large number of voters to nomi-nate a State ticket, and a special and emphatic request was made in the petition that a patriotic and energetic man be named for Governor on a war platform. They claimed that Governor Charles Robinson was impotent and inefficient, and that by the terms of the State Constitution his term of office expired January 1, 1862, notwithstanding the enactment of the Legislature extending the term. The committee in response to these petitioners nominated a full State ticket with George A. Crawford, of Bourbon County, for Governor. There was no other ticket in the field for State officers. The location of the State Capital was to be voted on, and members of the Legislature were to be elected. The election was held on the 5th of November. Mr. Crawford and his ticket received more than one-half as many votes as the total vote polled on the State Capital question, but the State Board of Canvassers refused to canvass the vote. Mr. Crawford took the case to the Supreme Court, and it is the first case reported in the First Kansas reports. It is held by the Court that the act of the Legislature of May 22, 1861, provided for the election of Governor at the general election of 1862, and that the election of the Crawford ticket was null and void.
Topeka received the majority of the vote cast for State Capital.
Eli G. Jewell and Geo. A. Reynolds were elected to the Legislature from Bourbon County.
On the 2nd of December, 1861, General J. W. Denver was ordered to Fort Leavenworth, and placed in command of the Kansas troops.
In the Spring of 1862, a considerable force was con-centrated at Fort Scott, consisting of the 1st and T 6th Kansas, the 9th, 12th and 13th Wisconsin, the I 2nd Ohio Cavalry and Captain Rabb's 2nd Indiana "Battery". The 5th Kansas Cavalry, which had been camped at Barnesville all winter was placed under command of Col. Powell Clayton. In the early spring this regiment was marched through Fort Scott to Dry-wood. It remained there a few days, when Clayton got permission to take the regiment out of this department, and he hustled it off down on the lower Mississippi. Sam Walker, who has been mentioned several times during the border troubles was Major of this regiment. James Montgomery was Colonel of the 3d Kansas, and afterwards he was transferred to the command of a colored regiment in South Carolina, where he probably renewed his acquaintance with Buford and the Hamiltons, or at least with their kinfolks.
Speaking of the Hamiltons, nothing reliable is known of that particular group, after the war began. They all probably went into the rebel army. It is said that in the fall of 1861, Captain Bain, with a portion of the
6th Kansas, captured several persons over in Missouri, and on his way up he camped one night about two miles south of Arcadia. The next morning, after they had broken camp and started on the march, Bain took a detail of men, and, selecting out seven of the prisoners, took them off to one side of the road and killed them. Bain gave it out that they were with the Hamilton gang at the Marais des Cygnes murder. That was possibly true, but it was more probable that they were Bain's personal enemies
The Kansas troops had now been in the service sev-eral months, and they began to think they were old veterans. Most of them had quit writing letters to their folks more than twice a week, and they had all learned the best manner of cooking beans, and pre-paring hard-tack so that it would seem like something else. Their ideas of war were somewhat changed before they got through with it.
On the ioth of May, 1862, a small newspaper called the Fort Scott Bulletin was established.
In the spring of 1862 the people of Fort Scott let the city election go by default, and it was not until in August that they discovered they had missed a chance to vote. Then the council ordered an election to be held on the 25th. J. S. Miller was elected Mayor, H. T. Wilson, P. P. Elder, William Smith and C. F. Drake, Councilmen; J. E. Dillon, clerk: J. F. White, Marshal; C. W. Goodlander, Treasurer; A. R. Allison, Assessor, and J. G. Stuart, Street Commissioner.
On the 1st of June Lieutenant Colonel Lewis R. Jewell was placed in command of the Post of Fort Scott.
About July, 1862, Rube Forbes, whom we have already had occasion to mention, and a man named Troy Dye robbed the store of E. S. Scott, at Xenia. This caused a great commotion among the settlers of that neighborhood, and they raised a posse, headed by Captain Vansycle, late of Co. "I," Sixth Kansas, and Lieutenant Ford of the same company. They got after the thieves in close chase. Dye got away but they run Forbes into a very dense brush patch about four miles south of Mapleton, where he was surrounded. The brush was so thick they could not see Rube but they charged in as far as they could and fired. Rube instantly returned the fire and Captain Vansycle fell dead. He fired again and Lieutenant Ford fell badly wounded. The lieutenant was at once taken up by Charles Love, J. R. Anderson and others, and carried on a coat to a house about half a mile distant, and was soon afterward taken to his home near Union-town where he died. At the third fire by Rube, E. C. Buck was badly wounded in the neck, and came near dying. About that time a company of soldiers arrived, who fired a volley into the brush where Rube was and his dead body was dragged out.
On the 15th of July, 1862, the first number of the Bourbon County Monitor was issued at Marmaton by David B. Emmert.
The Second Kansas Battery was raised in Bourbon
County by C. W. Blair, early in the summer. The officers were C. W. Blair, Captain; E. A. Smith,
The general election in the State was held on the 4th of November, 1862. Thomas Carney, Republican, of Leavenworth, was elected Governor. He received" exactly 10,000 votes. The opposition candidate was W. R. Wagstaflf, of Paola. His vote was 5,463.
The vote in Bourbon County for Governor was 413 to 86. This county was the Fourteenth Senatorial District. Isaac Ford was elected Senator by 431 votes, against 33 votes for E. Williams. There were four Representative Districts in this county, the 50th, 51st, 52nd and 53rd. In the 50th D. B. Jackman received 41 votes, I/. D. Clevenger, 26. In the 51st J. Hawkins, 62; W. T. Jones, 37. In the 52nd, D. R. Cobb received the entire vote, 97. In the 53rd, C. F. Drake received the entire vote, 205.
back to Index Page
Copyright © 2008 to Kansas Genealogy Trails' Bourbon County host & all Contributors
All rights reserved