Night Marshal Schram is Murderously Assaulted in Stairway on Central

Bulletin: At 3:30 p.m. when Mr. Schram awoke from a nap, G. W. Elson asked him if he knew who hit him. He said he did not.

Physicians said Monday afternoon there was slight hope for Mr. Schram’s recovery.

Once during the afternoon he called for water. Another time when he said he was sick a cloth was placed to his mouth, but he told the attendant he wanted a bowl. About this time someone asked him who hit him and he replied, “Don’t bother me I am so sick.”

Charles Schram, night marshal was fatally injured about 1:30 a.m. Monday, when an assassin slugged him in the stairway or at the stairway entrance to the Knights of Pythias hall, over 110 East Central avenue, and a boys’ club room over 108 East Central. His skull was fractured, his left shoulder broken and the left side of his face covered with bruises. A great pool of blood formed on the sidewalk where he lay after the murderous attack, spurting from his mouth and ear.


The general theory in the public mind Monday was that the attack probably was by someone with a personal grudge. Officers were working on the case within a few minutes after the assault. Whether they had a clue they would not say.

The assault was made at the foot of the stairway leading to the lodge rooms of the Knights Pythias and a club room over Wiley’s Smoke House. On the walk there was a large pool of blood which had flowed from the wounded man’s ear. He must have fallen when struck and remained down for a few minutes before being able to move. It was while partially recovering that he was able to mean so that he was heard as far away as the Delmonico. Later he recovered sufficiently to make himself heard a block away.


Finger prints show where he had tried to him himself to his feet. The marks were on the third step of the stairway and above them was blood on the sides of the wall, indicating that he was able to partially raise himself, while the bruise on the lips indicated that he fell face forward. Also on the lower step is the print of the palm of the left hand. When first found he was directly at the foot of the stairs but when picked up he had moved from there to the doorway of the Wiley Smoke House. Blood marks along the front of the building show where he had struck his head as he painfully dragged his way along.


It appears that he might have been standing in the doorway when assaulted or it is possible that the assassin was secreted there and struck him as he was passing. It is believed that not more than two blows were struck, one on the forehead and one on the side of the head. The other bruises and the fractured shoulder blade are the result of falling, in the opinion of the attending physicians.

The officer’s gun, a small pearl handled knife, and his keys were found on the sidewalk. His flashlight was in his pocket. The knife was open.


E. McConnell, proprietor of the Delmonico, and one of his guests, E. O. Chambers of Wichita were the first to arrive on the scene in response to Schram’s outcries and found him lying in a pool of blood on the sidewalk in front of Elmer Wiley’s Smoke House. He was unconscious. Mr. McConnell went for Dr. J. L. Eyeman. The doctor had been awaken by the same cries and was already up. He was on the ground in a few minutes. Besides the three gentlemen mentioned, J. F. Farley arrived on the scene and the four carried the stricken man to the office of Dr. Eyman. He partially regained consciousness but answered “No,” or “I do not know,” to all questions as to who struck him.

A careful examination disclosed the fact that Schram had been struck with something in the nature of a sand bag. He had an abrasion across the left cheek reaching above the left ear, a raised place the size of a half dollar on the left side of his forehead, his lips were bruised, and his left shoulder fractured. The blow across the side of his head caused a fracture of the skull. Blood was running flowing from his left ear and formed a great pool on the sidewalk.

After giving the injured man all the assistance possible, Dr. Eyman, called Dr. F. E. Dillenbeck, Schram’s family physician. He was taken to his residence, 428 Star Street, at 3 a.m. Maude Jordan, a trained nurse, came from Wichita and is in charge of the case.


Perhaps the last person to see Schram before the assault was J.F. Farley, insurance man, who rooms at the Metropolitan hotel. At 12:40 a.m. Monday, he saw Schram on the curbing in front of the Citizens State bank. The latter Accosted him with a remark that he was out late. Farley replied that he was dissipating a little, but was then on his way home, or words to that effect. Schram replied he was watching a negro who seemed to be dissipating as well.


It was about 1:25 a.m. that E. McConnell heard some one making a noise which sounded like a moan that seemed to come from the east. He was busy counting change and for a few minutes paid no attention to the sound. At this time Chambers arrived and asked for a room. While the two were talking the sound of some one calling grew louder and seemed to be coming nearer. McConnell turned to his guest and asked, “What is that, we had better step down that way and investigate.” They went on the street and started east towards the corner of Main and Central. Mr. McConnell knows Schram very well and spoke to his companion saying that it sounds like Charles Schram. He called to the injured man, asking, “What is it Charley, what do you want?” but received no answer. When they arrived in front of Wiley’s they found Schram in a sitting posture swaying back and forth and calling loudly for assistance. He was incoherent, unable to give any light as to how he came to be in such a condition.


Sheriff Purcell and Marshall Young were summoned.


Schram was seen by F. H. Biggs, proprietor of the Central hotel a little after 12 o’clock. He had returned from the Missouri Pacific station in company with an number of guests who were looking for a hotel. After passing the time of day with Biggs he left, but returned a few minutes later and stopped in front of the hotel to talk to several men standing on the street were doing. He spoke to them and passed up the street to the El Dorado National Bank corner. A few minutes later he spoke to Mr. Farley. It could not have been more than 30 minutes later that he was found.


Mrs. Schram’s daughter, Mrs. Alma Payne, was summoned by telephone from Ft. Scott. (The Walnut Valley Times, Monday, June 28, 1915, front page and page 4, transcribed by Peggy Thompson)


Night Marshal’s Life Ebbs Away as Day Breaks


Victim of Assault Expires After Fourteen-Day Battle Against Odds


After 16 days of intense suffering, with hardly a rational moment, Charles Schram, night marshal died at his home on Star street at 505 o’clock Tuesday morning, July 13, as the result of injuries sustained at the hands of a thug. He was 64 years, 10 months and 4 days old.


The funeral will be held at 2:00 p.m. Thursday, from the home, conducted by Rev. J. Q. Durfy. The body will be taken to Douglass on the 4:07 Santa Fe train and laid beside the companion of his youth in Douglass cemetery.


About 1:30 the morning of June 28, Ernest McConnell of the Delmonico heard groans that led him to investigate and he found Night Marshal Schram lying in a pool of blood at the foot of the stairs leading to the rooms above Elmer Wiley’s Smoke House and the Republican Office. The left side of his face and head indicated that he had been slugged with a sandbag. Dr. J. L. Eyman was called, sheriff Purcell was summoned, J. F. Farley and a traveling man, E. O. Chambers of Wichita, who had arrived quickly carried Schram to Dr. Eyman’s office where he was given emergency treatment and an examination disclosed a broken shoulder, a fracture of the skull and other injuries. He was greatly weakened by loss of blood and suffering from internal hemorrhages.


Despite the terrible injuries which would have meant death to the average man be bravely fought for life until the end. His family and friends have hoped against ope and all that loving hands and medical skill could do has been done but to no avail.


Charles Schram was born in Germany September 9, 1850. When eight years of age his family moved to America and located near Springfield, Mo. Within two years the entire family died, his parents, brothers and sisters and he was left alone.


A the age of 19 he came to Kansas and located at Douglass, went to work on the farm for Walter H. Douglass. In about 1878 he was married to Miss Georgia Wilson and to them was born one daughter, Alma, now Mrs. Alma Payne of Ft. Scott. In about 1880 Mrs. Schram died.


September 17, 1888, he was married to Mrs. Cora Lindsay at Carmi, Ills., who survives him. Besides the wife are the daughter, Mrs. Alma Payne and the step daughter, Mrs. Lucy Wear of Springton, Ills., who have grown up together like sisters.


Mr. Schram was appointed undersheriff by Sheriff Walter H. Douglass in 1881. He then lived in Douglass. He moved to El Dorado and this has since been his home. When Sheriff H. T. Dodson was elected in 1883 he was continued in the same position and again when Dodson was re-elected in 1885. Mr. Schram was elected sheriff in 1887 and again in 1889. Since that time he has filled the various offices of city marshal, night marshal, constable and deputy sheriff continually. In fact he has always held a place as peace officer since his coming to El Dorado. In the line of duty he was fearless and efficient.


He was not a church member although he held the church in highest esteem and regard. He was deferential and respectful to all church affiliations. He was an ardent member of the Knights of Pythias, was a charter member of Imo Lodge No. 48 at its institution in 1882. He was also a loyal faithful Odd Fellow. He was an honored past grand in the order.


Mr. Schram was one of the best known men in Butler county, and probably was acquainted with as many men, women and children as any resident within its borders. (The Walnut Valley Times, Tuesday, July 13, 1915, front page, transcribed by Peggy Thompson)


Coroner Turner To Hold Inquest in Schram Case; Asks Brewster to Help


The following jury was empaneled for the Schram inquest Tuesday afternoon: C. H. Selig, Dr. R. S. Miller, Madison Johnson, A. B. Ewing, R. V. Scott, W. H. Clark. They went to the Schram home to view the body. It was announced by Coroner Turner that an autopsy would be made.


An inquest will be held over the body of Charles Schram, night marshal, who succumbed Tuesday to injuries received this morning of June 28, at the hands of some unknown footpad. Coroner W. E. Turner stated Tuesday morning, “I think that everything possible should be done to uncover any evidence that might disclose the parties who are responsible for Schram’s death,” continued the coroner. “We expect to have Attorney General Brewster or his representative present at the inquest.”


Coroner Turner got in touch with the office of the attorney general Tuesday morning. County Attorney C. W. Steiger was out of the city and the attorney general explained to Mr. Turner that it would be necessary for him to confer with that official before he would make any definite arrangements about attending the inquest.


The inquest is to be held for the purpose of gathering evidence as to circumstances surrounding the death of Mr. Schram, Coroner Turner says, and it will be a thorough examination.


County Attorney Steiger returned from a business trip to Douglass Tuesday afternoon and put in a phone call for the attorney general, to invite him to take a hand in the inquiry.


The coroner did not state what theory or evidence, if any, he had – but was firm in his stand for an inquest. (The Walnut Valley Times, Tuesday, July 13, 1915, front page, transcribed by Peggy Thompson)


A Kansan Slugs to Kill


Activities of El Doradoan Get Attention of the Attorney General


Topeka, July 13 – S. M. Brewster, attorney general will go to El Dorado tomorrow to see what can be done to stop the activities of a chap with an obsession to use a slingshot.


Charles Schram, several years sheriff of Butler County, died this morning. He was slugged about a month ago.


Later, Ray Jamison was found slugged. Last Monday Grant Rogers, night watchman of El Dorado, was found wandering about in a field. He, too, had been slugged. Other citizens of the town have received threats. (The Kansas City Times, Wednesday, July 14, 1915, page 4, transcribed by Peggy Thompson)


Charles Schram Funeral Will be Held Thursday


Will be escorted by Lodges and Friends – Burial at Douglass


The funeral of Charles Schram will be held from the home on Star Street at 2:00 p.m. Thursday. The service will be conducted by Rev. J. Q. Durfey of the Presbyterian Church.


The singers will be Mrs. J. C. Foulks, Miss Berdine Barton, C. W. Harvey and c. W. Steiger. Miss Catherine McCaughan will preside at the piano.


The orders I. O. O. F., M. W. A. and K. of P., of which Mr. Schram was a prominent member, will attend and the pallbearers will be made up from them. The honorary pallbearers will come from county and city officials, who will escort the casket to the Santa Fe depot for the 4:07 p.m. train when it will be taken to Douglass. Short services will be held Friday morning, followed by interment in Douglass cemetery beside the wife of his youth.


The pallbearers will be: Frank Williams, W. H. Sandifer, M. W. A., James feely, Geo. N. Younkman, K. of P.; Albert Peffley, H. K. Herbert, I. O. O. F.


Honorary pallbearers: Mayor G. W. Stinson, Marshal Geo. A. Young, Sheriff T. N. Purcell, County Attorney C. W. Steiger, Councilman E. D. Stratford, Councilman H. W. Schumacher. (The Walnut Valley Times, Wednesday July 14, 1915, front page, transcribed by Peggy Thompson)


Charles Schram Funeral Largely Attended, Today


Numerous Floral Offerings – Interment in Douglass Cemetery


The funeral of Charles Schram, who died after a hard fight of 15 days for his life after a murderous assault by a thug, while in the line of duty, was held from the home on Star street at 2:00 p.m. Thursday. The attendance was very large and the numerous floral tributes evidenced the esteem in which he was held and the sympathy of the community for his loved ones.  His life has been sacrificed to public duty and the people appreciate it.


The casket was conveyed to the Santa Fe depot, escorted by the most prominent citizens of El Dorado and sent to his old home at Douglass where it was taken to the home of Albert Wakefield where it will rest until Friday morning, when a short service will be held from the Methodist church, conducted by the pastor, followed by interment in Douglass cemetery.


Another tragedy has been added to the cyclopedia of human ills and sorrow. Another life has been sacrificed for the public good. Another man has fallen on the earthly highway but the relentless march of time will soon obliterate the footprints on the sands, but the influence Charles Schram exerted upon his loved ones, his fellows and the world with whom he had to do, will never wane and only Eternity will reveal the good he has accomplished in his life. (El Dorado, Butler County, Kansas, Thursday, July 15, 1915, front page, transcribed by Peggy Thompson)


Attended Schram Funeral


H. Sinclair, E. D. Stratford, Mayor G. W. Stinson, L. M. Money, Hal Young, J. D. Feely, Fred Clark, Dr. Chas. Saunders, S. C. Knisely all went to Douglass Friday morning to attend the burial of Night Marshal Chas. Schram. They made the trip in auto. (The Walnut Valley Times, Friday, July 16, 1915, page 3, transcribed by Peggy Thompson)


  Back to Index Page
Copyright © Kansas Genealogy Trails' & all Contributors
  All rights reserved