ALLEN, THOMAS G.
Thomas G. Allen, farmer, stockman and educator, was born at Friendsville, Tennessee, February 15, 1857, son of Thomas Norris and Elizabeth (Morgan) Allen. The father, a native of Tennessee, died at Toledo, Kansas, January 11, 1875. His wife Elizabeth also a native of Tennessee died at Toledo, June 16, 1890.
During his mature life he has been a farmer, stockman and educator. At the time present time he is probate and juvenile judge of Chase County, Kansas. He is a Republican.
On February 15, 1881, he was married to Lottie Valentine Brown at Cottonwood Falls. She was born on a farm in Wabaunsee County, Kansas, February 14, 1863. She is the author of Prairie Poems and others.
For the past 40 years Judge Allen has been associated with school work in Chase County as a teacher and superintendent. He has held his present position of probate judge for 14 years. He is a member of the Friends Church, the Chamber of Commerce and the Modern Woodmen of America. Residence: Cottonwood Falls. (Illustriana Kansas, by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, page 28)
ARNOLD FLORA WILCOX
Flora Wilcox Arnold, county treasurer, of Chase County, was born on a farm near Corning, Kansas, September 26, 1887, daughter of Edward Jasper and Flora Estella (Martin) Wilcox. The father was born at Ostrander, Ohio, November 4, 1862, and is a retired farmer. The mother was born in Hyattsville, Ohio, November 4, 1867. Her grandfather, Thomas Robison Hamilton was the first cousin to Alexander Hamilton.
Flora Wilcox attended public school at Cottonwood Falls and was graduated from the Chase County High School in 1906. During the year 1918-19 she attended the University of Kansas at Lawrence (summer session). She taught in the country in Chase County for three years after leaving school; was study hall teacher during 198-1919 in the Chase County High School; during 1919-20 taught school at Abilene, Kansas, in the grade school and during 1920-21 was principal of the high school at Woodruff. From 1921 until 1922 she was principal of the grade school at Woodruff, Kansas.
A Democrat, she served three years as secretary of the Democratic County central committee and was delegate to the state convention at Lawrence on May 16, 1932. In 1928 she was elected county treasurer of Chase County and in 1930 was re-elected to the same office.
On July 15, 1908 she was married to Don Edwin Arnold at Cottonwood Falls. Mr. Arnold was born on a farm near Saffordville, Kansas, April 21, 1883 and is a contractor and architect. He is the brother of Anna E. Arnold, author of Kansas History, Civics and Citizenship. They have two children, Dorothy Estella, born May 15, 1909, who married A. Dale Trayer, and Charles born May 22, 1911. Dorothy has two children, Danny Dale, aged 5 years and Harold D. two years. Charles is deputy county treasurer.
A member of the American Legion Auxiliary, Mrs. Arnold was secretary of the local unit, 1928-29 and president, 1931. During the years 1926, 1927 and 1928 she was secretary of the fourth district. She is a Protestant, a member of the Shakespeare Study Club, the State Federation Women's Clubs and District Federation of Women's Clubs. Her hobbies are flowers and gardening and free hand drawing. Residence: Cottonwood Falls. (Illustriana Kansas, by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, page 43)
CROCKER, ARTHUR THOMPSON
Hon. Arthur Thompson Crocker, present state senator from Chase County, is a member of the firm Crocker Brothers, who as stockmen and farmers have developed some of the biggest interests in that line in the State of Kansas. The center of their operations is near Bazaar in Chase County.
Senator Crocker is a native of Chase County and was born on his father's cattle ranch here January 17, 1874. He is a son of Erastus Bryant and Annie Elizabeth (Grey) Crocker. Erastus B. Crocker, who was born in New York state in 1840, is a son of Alexander and Dorcas (Bryant) Crocker, the former a native of Maine and the latter of Massachusetts. When Erastus was six years of age his parents moved west from New York to Michigan and he grew up on a farm near Battle Creek receiving his education in the public schools and also in college. He was just of age when the war broke out and he enlisted in Company C, Seventh Michigan Cavalry. He saw 3-1/2 years of active service and was in many important battles, including Gettysburg. He was Grant's army at Appomattox. He was never seriously wounded but had two horses shot from under him. He rose to the rank of captain and left the army with that rank and title.
Captain Crocker was one of the prominent pioneers of the county, where he arrived March 20, 1866. He had traveled by railroad as far as Leavenworth and from there came on by wagon. He took up a homestead in the south part of the county, gradually acquired other lands, and for many years was a recognized leader in public and business affairs. As a republican he represented Chase county in the State Legislature in 1868 and was at one time a member of the board of county commissioners. He was an enthusiastic Mason. His death occurred on the old ranch in Chase County April 18, 1876.
In 1860 Captain Crocker married Miss Hattie Mercy Hoffman, who was born at Three Rivers, Michigan, in April 1840 and died January 24, 1870 in Chase County. She was the mother of three children: Ada Corena, Erastus Harley and Walter, the last dying in infancy. Ada C., who was born January 19, 1861, married October 14, 1880, Andrew J. Dunlap who was born at Niles, Ohio, August 20, 1855. They have a son, Andrew Crocker, born December 9, 1895, Erastus Harley Crocker, born December 7, 1862, is now a successful lawyer at Cedar Rapids, Iowa. He married in 1891 Ada H. Farmer, and they have six children, two sons and four daughters.
On May 2, 1871, Captain Crocker married his second wife, Mrs. Annie Elizabeth (Grey) Mason. She was born in New York State February 28, 1842, and died May 30, 1897. By her first marriage to John Mason she has a son, John Marshall Mason, who is now living in Kansas City, Missouri. He married in 1890 Lillian Day and they have three children, one son and two daughters. Captain and Mrs. Crocker were the parents of two children, Edward Grey and Arthur T.
Arthur Thompson was educated in the public schools of Chase County and the city schools of Emporia. His early training on his father's ranch counted strongly in the choice of a career and when he was seventeen he became associated with his brother under the firm name of Crocker Brothers, and together they have developed their extensive ranching and farming interests. At the present time they have a 10,000 acre cattle ranch in Chase County, one of the best in point of equipment and one of the largest now in the entire state. They conduct their business on a plan of efficiency justified by long experience and are breeders and raisers of some of the finest Hereford cattle in Kansas.
Senator Crocker has for many years been an active republican. He was elected to represent the Twenty-third Senatorial District, comprising the counties of Chase, Marion and Morris in 1916. During the following session he was a member of some of the important committees in the Senate. He is president of the Kansas Hereford Cattle Breeders Association and is a thirty second degree Scottish Rite Mason and Shriner and also a member of the Benevolent and Protectiver Order of Elks.
The Crocker brothers married sisters, daughters of the late Capt. Henry Brnadley. Capt. Henry Brandley was a pioneer and a citizen of such character and ability in Chase County that he deserves some special mention at this point.
Henry Brandley was born in Switzerland October 12, 1839 and died at his beautiful home at Matfield Green in Chase County June 1, 1910. When he was about twelve years of age his parents came to America, being fifty-two days in crossing the ocean. In 1852 the family settled in Cincinnati, where he finished his education and worked at the painter's trade. In 1856 the Brandleys moved to Randolph County, Indiana and there the young man had further experience as a farm hand, in a shingle mill, as rail maker and digger of ditches.
In the spring of 1859 he went overland to Western Iowa but in the same fall came on foot to Tecumseh, Kansas, where he was employed in a brick yard for a short time and then took up a claim in Chase County, which was still unorganized. During the following winter he built a shanty on his claim and when he returned from Ohio in 1860 he found another occupant on his quarter section. After a contest he was declared the legal owner and he at once set to work to develop and prove up. At the outbreak of the war he walked forty miles to Emporia to enlist with the Lyon County troops, commanded by L. T. Heritage. He was mustered in September 1, 1861 and a few days later the company was consolidated with others, making Company H of the Eighth Kansas Regiment. He was elected as fifth sergeant. In the winter of 1862 this company was sent to Missouri, camping on Sugar Creek and on March 10, 1862. Mr. Brandley was appointed orderly sergeant of what by consolidation finally became Company B of the Ninth Kansas Regiment. A detailed account of the movements and operations of this regiment will be found on other pages. On June 1, 1862, Mr. Brandley and his company started for Utah as escort to General Harding, the newly appointed governor of Utah. For a short time he was at Fort Laramie, afterwards guarded a stage route camp in Colorado, and then began the building of Fort Halleck at the foot of Elk Mountain west of Medicine Bow River. February 23, 1862, while scouting, Captain Brandley was shot through the left arm and side by a Ute Indian on the North Platte River. Soon afterward he was promoted to first lieutenant. After the Quantrill raid in Kansas the company was ordered east and arrived at Fort Leavenworth in November 1863. Captain Brandley was in command of his company at Kansas City part of the winter of 1863-64 and in April 1864 he joined his regiment at Lawrence this being the first time he was with the regiment as a whole. The regiment spent the rest of the year in Arkansas and in the spring of 1865 Mr. Brandley was commissioned captain of company B made of former Companies B and E. He had command of the post at Brownsville, Arkansas and was in service until mustered out August 17, 1866. Other members of this company were T. B. Murdock, George Plumb and other well known citizens of Emporia.
After his army service Captain Brandley returned to his claim in Chase County. The same year he was elected a member of the House of Representatives, served as journal clerk of the House and in 1874 was elected state senator from Chase, Marion and Morris counties. He was a familiar figure in the state capital at Topeka for a number of years. He was baptized in the Lutheran Church and while never a member of any church he was essentially a religious man. He was charitable, kindly, a big man in every respect and left an honored name in his part of Kansas. He was the father of six children: Clara B. Hildebrand, Maude Crocker, Harry Brandley, Ruby Wagoner, Daisy Crocker and Pearl Brandley. Captain Brandley developed one of the finest ranches in Kansas. He made his home and surroundings a place of beauty and spent his last years among the cedars and the surroundings which he had created by his own labor.
Edward G. Crocker married October 12, 1894, Miss Maude Brandley. She was born in Chase County March 13, 1872. The children of Edward G. Crocker and wife, are two sons and two daughters; Arthur Weston, Ruby Louise, Anna Marie and Henry Mason.
Senator Crocker married at Blackwell, Oklahoma, November 15, 1902, Miss Daisy Brandley. She is also a native of Chase County, born April 20, 1878. Senator and Mrs. Crocker also have four children: Earl Edward, born January 6, 1906; Hila Eileen, born January 14, 1909; Marion Hazel, born January 19, 1912; and Sybil Elizabeth, born July 6, 1915. (A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans, Volume 5, Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago, New York, 1918, pages 2614-2615)
GRISHAM, SADIE PARK
GRISHAM, Mrs. Sadie Park, educator and office-holder, born in Litchfield Township, near Athens, Bradford county, Pa., 22nd July, 1859. Mrs. Grisham is a direct descendant of Josiah and Thomas Park, and is the daughter of J. P. and Jane A. Park. She spent the first ten years of her life in her native place. In 1870 her father removed with his family to Kansas and settled on Middle creek, in Chase county, where he still resides. Sadie spent the greater part of her time in the common schools until 1876, at which time she went to the State Normal School in Emporia, Kan., graduating in 1882. She then engaged in school teaching, until December, 1882, when she became the wife of Thomas H. Grisham, a lawyer of Cottonwood Falls, Kan., who was at that time the prosecuting attorney of Chase county. In 1886 Mrs. Grisham accepted and still retains a position in the public schools of Cottonwood Falls. In 1890 she was employed as principal, with a corps of seven teachers. In the spring of 1889 she was elected a member of the common council of Cottonwood Falls. She was made president of the council and chairman of the committee on streets and alleys. Mrs. Grisham is an industrious worker in all educational matters. (Source: American Women by Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Vol. 1, 1897. Transcribed by Marla Snow)
HOTCHKISS, GEORGE W.
George W. Hotchkiss, the proprietor of a garage at Westville, is also extensively interested in ranching and stock raising in the west. He was born May 3, 1863, in Westville, Connecticut, a son of William Warren and Mary (Clinton) Hotchkiss. His mother was born in Pennsylvania, while his father was a native of Derby, Connecticut, where he attended school and was reared to manhood. Later in life he became well known in New Haven in connection with public affiars. He was for several terms a member of the board of relief and filled other public offices, the duties of which he discharged with promptness and fidelity, his course reflecting credit upon himself and proving entirely satisfactory to his constituents. He turned his attention to the most industry while residing in New Haven and became one of the leading merchants in that line in the city. He afterward removed with his family to Chase county, Kanas, where he purchased a large cattle ranch and thereon spent his remaining days engaged in raising live stock. He also established a wholesale pork packing industry in Chase county and these two combined lines of business made him independenty wealthy. While he resided in Chase county he stil retained his property interests in New Haven and in Westville and these are still owned by his son. He died in 1897 while visiting here, having made the trip east to look after his invested interests. His widow still survives and is eighty years of age.
George W. Hotchkiss was the only child born to his parents. In early life he attended the schools of New Haven and continued his education in the Cheshire Academy of Cheshire, Connecticut, from which he was graduated with the class of 1882. After leaving school he removed with his parents to Chase County, Kansas and there became acquainted with the live stock business and also with the pork packing industry. He remained in the west until 1903, when he returned to New Haven in order to look after the real estate interests of the family at this place. He located at the old homestead at No. 1044 Whalley avenue and he there built a garage and automobile station which he now successfully conducts. He is also the owner of a large cattle ranch in Chase County, Kansas which has been a very profitable source of income.
On the 4th of May, 1905, Mr. Hotchkiss was united in marriage to Miss Marguerite Hendrickson, of New Haven, who was born in Denmark and is a daughter of Hans and Katherine Hendrickson. By a former marriage Mr. Hotchkiss has four children namely; Harold H., who was born in Chase County, Kansas, in 1885; Warren W., who was born in New Haven in 1892 and who is married and has one child, Beth; Gladys, who was born in New Haven in 1895 and is now a resident of Chase County, Kansas, and Walter, who was born in Chase county in 1900.
Mr. Hotchkiss is a representative business man, alert and enterprising, and his interests are capably managed and bring to him a gratifying return. He combines the spirit of western enterprise with New England thrift and his judicious investments and intelligently directed interests have gained for him a place among the men of affluence in this city. (A Modern History Of New Haven and Eastern New Haven County, by Everett Gleason Hill, Volume II, 1918, Pages 755 & 756)
MECKEL, FREDERICK A.
Frederick A. Meckel, judge of the Fifth judicial district of Kansas, composed of Lyon, Coffey and Chase counties, a descendant of stanch .and worthy German ancestors, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, Jan. 20, 1857. His father, Max L. Meckel, came to America from Germany in 1848 and here met and married Maria Halbritter, also a native of Germany and the daughter of August Halbritter, who spent his entire life in the Fatherland as did also Frederick Meckel, the parental grandfather of Judge Meckel. Frederick Meckel was a prominent man in his locality and filled a judicial position. He died at the age of forty-nine. Max L. Meckel and his wife became the parents of five children, of whom Frederick A. is the eldest. They were residents of Cincinnati after their marriage until 1886, when the family removed to Cleveland, Ohio, where the father continued his vocation of lithographer, and where his death occurred in 1868. Both parents were members of the German Lutheran church.
Judge Meckel was reared in Ohio and received his education in the common schools of that state. In 1878, having attained to his majority, he left his early friends and associates and came to the State of Kansas. He first settled in Seneca, Nemaha county, where he began the study of law in the office of Conwell & Clawson and was admitted to the bar in October, 1883, by Judge David Martin of Atchison. He immediately entered upon the practice of his profession alone in Washington county, when he was elected county attorney in 1892, serving one term. In January, 1899, he removed to Chase county and practiced there until elected judge of the Fifth judicial district in 1904, to which office he was reelected in 1908, having previously served two terms as county attorney of Chase county. Judge Meckel has always been a stanch Republican and has taken an active interest in the party's work. Besides his official and professional duties, Judge Meckel has other interests as the owner of a fine farm in Chase county, and a stockholder in two Chase county banks, the Exchange National at Cottonwood Falls and the State Bank at Strong City.
In 1887 Judge Meckel was united in marriage to Miss Jennie E. Bell of Aurora, Ill., who died in 1901. His second wife was Miss Jennie Howenstein of Bellefontaine, Ohio, to whom he was married in I9o6. Mrs. Meckel is a member of the Presbyterian church and Judge Meckel affiliates fraternally with the Ancient Order of United Workmen. In the year of 1906, Judge Meckel removed from Cottonwood Falls to Emporia, which latter city has since been his place of residence. (Kansas Biography, Part 2, Vol. III, 1912, pages 1037-1038, Transcribed as written by, Millie Mowry.)
John Miller, farmer and legislator, was born at Cottonwood Falls, Kansas, January 13, 1870, son of Archibald and Mary (McNee) Miller. The father was born in County Antrim, Ireland, August 27, 1834, and died at Cottonwood Falls, February 23, 1923. The mother was born in Perth, Scotland, May 12, 1840 and died at Cottonwood Falls July 5, 1923.
On February 1, 1899, he was married to Minnie Frances Risner at Cottonwood Falls. She was born in Arkansas, October 15, 187. They have two children: Ruth Mary, born January 13, 1900, who married Carl I. Winsor; and Earl Arch, June 28, 1901.
A Democrat, Mr. Miller was candidate for county treasurer in 1912, candidate for the legislature in 1922, 1924, 1926, and was elected in 1924. He is a member of the Red Cross, the Kansas State Historical Society (life member) and is a Mason (Consistory and Shrine.) Residence: Cottonwood Falls. (Illustriana Kansas, Edited by Sara A. Mullin Baldwin, Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, page 800)
VERDAN, F. M.
F. M. Verdan, pastor of all the Catholic churches of Chase and Marion counties, Kansas, was born in Savoy, France, and was the only one of a family of seven brothers to take up the work of the church and come to America. His younger brother became a noted surgeon in the French army and died in Africa when only twenty-six years of age. Father Verdan as a child was remarkably precocious. He could read as soon as he could talk, and at the age of nine years began his studies preparatory for entrance to the priesthood. He found no difficulty in keeping up with his classes, notwithstanding his youth, and was graduated from the highest institutions of learning in Paris. When twenty-six years of age he came to America and entered Notre Dame University, at South Bend, Ind., where he learned the English language. He afterward went to New Orleans and was a teacher of languages in St. Isadore College for eight months. He was then ordained to the priesthood and went to Montreal, Canada, where he remained only eight months, because of a loss of hearing in one ear. From there he came to Crawford county, Kansas, in 1881, and located first at Greenbush, but at the beginning of his pastorate a number of different small towns were included in his parish. A friend and a member of his church gave him a mule on which to make his pastoral calls, which necessarily extended to all parts of the entire county. He was very successful in that field of work, and on his transfer from Crawford county to Strong City, Kan., a Girard paper gave the following account of it: "Friday, Jan. 24, 1908, when Father Verdan received the order from Bishop Hennessey, stating that he was to be transferred from the parish which he had built, and in which for over twenty-five years he had faithfully served as pastor and priest, he glanced back and thought of the remarkable changes that had taken place in that quarter of a century. In a vivid picture before him were the memories of the past. In his parish he had baptized 776; married 138 couples; prepared 552 members for confirmation and performed the last sacred rites of the church at the deaths of 218 members of his congregation. There was scarcely a family in his parish that the death angel had not visited. But now he is leaving this host of friends, the home and church which he built, to take up his labors in a new field-sad indeed-but seeing his duty he obeyed the command promptly."
Father Verdan began his pastorate in Strong City, Jan. 29, 1908, and assumed charge of all the Catholic churches in Chase county, since which time he has built up the church in Strong City alone to about fifty families. In May, 1909, Marion county was added to his parish, and Father Verdan has organized and built tip strong churches at the towns of Florence, Spring Branch and Burns. Though Father Verdan has been in charge of this parish but a short time he has already greatly endeared himself to all of his parishioners. (Kansas Biography, Vol. III, Part 2, Pages 787-788. Transcribed by: Millie Mowry)
WAIDLEY, REID W.
Reid W. waidley, included among the well known and successful financiers of WoodsCounty is Reid W. Waldley, cashier of the First National Bank of Waynoka, and a citizen who has taken an active and helpful participation in civic affairs of import. While still a young man as to years, he has had a long experience, and his entire career has been devoted to activities in the line of banking.
Mr. Waidley, is a product of the farm, having been born on his father's homestead in Chase County, Kansas, March 31, 1883, and is a son of Elam A. and Elsie (Washburn) Waidley. His father was born May 23, 1843 in Erie County, Pennsylvania, and in 1879 moved to Chase County, Kansas, where he purchased a tract of land. In his native Keystone State he had been engaged in agricultural pursuits and continued to follow farming in Kansas, where he resided until 1894 in that year coming to Oklahoma and locating upon a tract of land in Woods county. Mr. Waidley was successfully engaged as a farmer and stockman until 1897, when he moved to the City of Alva and oped a grocery. There he continued in business for several years but retired some time before his death, which occurred July 14, 1906 when he was sixty three years of age. He was an ative member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. On November 9, 1871 Mr. Waidley was married to Miss Elsie Washburn natives of Rhode Island. Two children were born to Elam A. and Elsie waidley, names Emma Florence, who was born September 20, 1874; in Erie County, Pennsylvania, was married in 1891 to William A. Talkington and has one daughter, Ruth Pauline who was born in 1897 and Reid W., of this notice.
Reid W. Waidley received his early education in the public schools of Chase County, Kansas following which he enrolled as a student at the Oklahoma Northwestern Normal School at Alva, where he remained until 1898. In that year he entered upon his business career as a bookkeeper with the First National Bank of Alva and held this position until August 18, 1902 when with J. A. Stine and others, he organized the Waynoka State Bank of Waynoka, Oklahoma. This was nationalized and made the First National Bank of Waynoka, March 30, 1910 with Mr. Waidley as cashier, a position which he has continued to fill to the present time. Mr. Waidley has an excellent reputation in business circles of Northwest Oklahoma and is accounted a man of high ability in the line of his chosen vocation. As a citizen he has been foremost in the promotion of movements which his good judgment and acumen tell him are for the ommunity's welfare and his ideals of citizenship entitle him to the esteem which is generally accorded him. In fraternal circles, he has numerous friends in the local lodges of the Masons and Odd Fellows with which he has been connected as a member for several years.
Mr. Waidley was married June 6, 1906 at Waynoka, to Miss Mary P. Nickerson, daughter of George J. and Mary (Pickard) Nickerson. Her parents were born in Maine, the father in 1839 and the mother in 1843 and the latter died at Waynoka in 1900. They had four daughters and one son, as follows: Winnie, who is deceased; Frank; Aubrige; Florence and Mary Pickard. Mrs. Waidley was born September 14, 1880, in Iowa, was educated in the public schools of that state and Kansas and completed her education at the Oklahoma Northwestern University at Alva, following which she became a schoolteaher in the country districts of Woods county also acting as assistant postmistress at Waynoka. Mr. and Mrs. Waidley have one son; Howard Windell, born March 12, 1908. (A Standard History of Oklahoma, By Joseph B. Thoburn, Volume III, 1916, Page 1320)
WINTERS, WILLIAM H.
William H. Winters - the present incumbent of the office of finance clerk or cashier of the Kanas City post office, has been a resident of the Sunflower state since his boyhood days and is one of the sterling citizens contributed to this commonwealth by the fine old Buckeye state. he was born at Warren, the judicial center of Trumbull county, Ohio in the historic old Western Reserve and the date of his nativity was July 5, 1863. He is a son of John G. and Jane (Urmson) Winters, the former of whom was likewise born in Ohio, a representative of a pioneer family of German extration, and the latter of whom was born near Sharon, Pennsylvania of English lineage. They now maintain their home in Kansas City, Kansas, where the father is living virtually retired, after long years of earnest and effective endeavor in connection with the productive activities of life. he is seventy-one years of age and his wife sixty-seven at the time of this writing in 1911. The marriage of the parents was solemnized at Hubbard, Trumbull county, Ohio and in that state the father continued to follow his trade as an expert blacksmith until June 1878 when he removed with his family to Kansas having been promoted to this action on account of his impaired health. For the first two years he was engaged in farming int he vicinity of Solomon City, Dickinson county and he then removed to Strong City, Chase County, where he established himself in the general merchandise business. He built up a prosperous enterprise and continued to be identified with the same for a period of about twenty years after which he resided on a farm in that county about three years. By reason of his advanced age he ffinally disposed of his farm and in 1904 he established his home in Kansas City, where he has since lived retired in the enjoyment of the rewards of former years of toil and endeavor. He is a man of sterling character and both he and his wife hold the unqualified esteem of all who knew them. He is a stanch supporter of the cause of the Republican party and has been identified with both the Masonic fraternity and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows for more than forty years. Of the ten children, seven sons and two daughers are now living.
William H. Wintesr is indebted to the public schools of his native state for his early educational training and he was fifteen years of age at the time of the family removal to Kansas where he continued to attend school at intervals for a few years thereafter. He here assisted in the owrk of the home farm and later in the mercantile establishment conducted by his father at Strong City. In that village he thereafter served for three years as clerk in the depot of the Atchison, Topeka, & Santa Fe Railroad and coming to Kansas City he was employed for three years as a street car conductor. He was then appointed deputy city clerk and in this position he served efficiently for a term of three years. On the 1st of July, 1902 he was appointed to his present office, that of cashier or finance clerk in the Kansas City post office and that he has ably handled the work assigned to him needs no further assurance than that afforded in his continued tenure of the position, which is one of distincitive trust and responsiblity. He has gained a wide acquaintaneship in the metropolis of Wyandotte county and here it may well be said that his circle of friends is limited only by that of those who know him.
In politics Mr. Winters gives an unqualified allegiane to the Republican Party and he has been affiliated with the time honored Masonic fraternity for more than a quarter of a century. he is identified with the various York Rite bodies in his home city and has also received eighteen degrees in the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite.
The year 1886 gave record of the marriage of Mr. Winters to Miss Ella Henry who was born in Pennsylvania and who was a child at the time of the family removal to Kansas. At the time of her marriage she was a resident of Springhill, Johnson county. Mr. and Mrs. Winter have two daughters: Ada and Grace. (History of Wyandotte County, Kansas and it's People, edited & compiled by Perl W. Morgan, Vol. II, 1911, Pages 1019 & 1020)