Ashland, the county seat of Clark County and one of the growing towns of southwest Kansas, is located a little southeast of the geographical center of the county, on Beaver Creek and the line of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R. R. that runs from Wichita to Englewood. Ashland's population almost doubled during the decade from 1900 to 1910. In the former year it was 493 and in the latter 910. The volume of business and shipping increased in an even greater proportions than the population. The city has two banks, grain elevators, a weekly newspaper - The Clark County Clipper - several general stores, hardware, drug and jewelry stores, confectioneries, etc., a good public school system, and the Catholics, Methodists, Christians, and Presbyterians all have neat church edifices. the Ashland postoffice is authoritzed to issue international money orders, express, telegraph and telephone facilities are amlpe and taken altogether, Ashland can be described as a wide-awake progressive little city. (Kansas: A cyclopedia of state history, embracing events, institutions, 1912, edited by Frank Wilson Blackmar, 1916, pages 106 & 107)
Englewood, an incorporated city of Clark county is situated in the township of the same name 15 miles southwest of Ashland, the county seat. It is the terminus of a division of the Atchison, Topeka, & Santa Fe railway system, has 2 banks, grain elevators, a hotel, flour mills, telephone connections, an international money order postoffice, telegraph and express offices, churches of some of the leading Protestant denominations, a weekly newspaper (the Leader-Tribune), some well stocked mercantile establishments, and in 1910 reported a population of 518.
Englewood was founded in 1884 by a town company of which N. E. Osborn, was president; M. L. Mun, vice-president; B. B. Bush, secretary and Grant Hatfield treasurer. The capital stock of the company was $60,000. Soon after the town was laid out a stage line was opened to Dodge City, the stages leaving Englewood on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. On April 24, 1885, G. M. Magill published the first number of the Clark County Chief at Englewood. In 1890 the population was 175, and in 1900 it was 181. (Kansas: a cyclopedia of state history, embracing events, institutions, 1912, edited by Frank Wilson Blackmar, page 590)
Back to Index Page