Genealogy Trails History Group Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

Crawford County
Kansas

History and Genealogy

CRAWFORD COUNTY, KANSAS

BIOGRAPHIES

ASKINS, CLYDE JAMES REVEREND

The Reverend Clyde James Askins, clergyman of the Baptist Church, was born in Lakewood, Illinois, September 1, 1882, the son of Thomas Albert and Mary Ann (Jones) Askins.

Thomas Albert Askins, a farmer, farm auctioneer, and dealer in fancy hogs, was born in Lakewood, Illinois, February 19, 1858. He has served as deputy sheriff and is an active Democrat. He still resides on the farm on which he was born. Mary Ann Jones, his wife, was born in Lakewood, Illinois, in 1860.

Educated first in the country schools of Shelby County, Illinois, Clyde James Askins later attended Lake-wood High School. He was awarded the degree of Bachelor of Philosophy in 1910 by Ewing College at Ewing, Illinois, at which place he won the gold medal for oratory in his senior year and a letter in football. In 1916 he was graduated from Rochester Theological Seminary, now Colgate-Rochester Seminary.

From 1910 until 1913 Mr. Askins was pastor of the Memorial Baptist Church at Toledo, Ohio. He held pastorate at the Baptist Church in Webster, New York, the following three years, and at Waterloo, Iowa, from 1916 until 1922. On May 1, of the latter year, he became pastor of the First Baptist Church at Pittsburg, Kansas, holding this position continuously. During the World War Mr. Askins served with the Young Men's Christian Association at Camp Taylor. During 1923 he attended the Baptist World Alliance at Stockholm, and while abroad visited several foreign countries.

On September 10, 1912, he was married to Ethel Anna Henderson, daughter of George A. and Mary Elizabeth (Claybaugh) Henderson, at Toledo, Ohio. There are three children, Velma, born June 17, 1913; Ruth, March 15, 1915; and Keith, August 27, 1927.

Mr. Askins is a former president and present secretary and treasurer of the Ministerial Association of Pittsburg. He is president of the Allied Forces for Prohibition, a member of the Young Men's Christian Association, the Chamber of Commerce, the Kiwanis Club, the Masons, and the Odd Fellows, the Parent Teachers Association and the Charity and Humane Society. He enjoys golf, hunting, tennis and bowling. Residence: Pittsburg. (Illustriana Kansas, by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, page 45)

BABB, WILLIAM EVERETT REVEREND

The Reverend William Everett Babb, clergyman, was born in Buffalo, Missouri, February 26, 1886, son of Joseph David and Rhoda Ellen (Keith) Babb. The father, born in Troy, Illinois, February 22, 1865, is a clergyman. His father, Andrew Jackson Babb, was born February 26, 1833, in Tennessee. The Babb family came from Wales to Virginia and later moved to Tennessee. Andrew Jackson Babb was a mechanic, a builder of wagons, gun carriages and other conveyances in the Civil War.

Rhoda Ellen Keith was born in Buffalo, Missouri, December 21, 1868, daughter of Foster Keith and Sarah Randleman. The father was born in Illinois and the mother and father were early settlers in the Ozarks north of Springfield, Missouri, homesteading on the land which Buffalo, Missouri, now occupies. The Keith family traces directly to the English nobility.

William Everett Babb received his early education in the rural schools near Buffalo, Missouri, was graduated from high school at Buffalo, and in June, 1912, received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Phillips University, Enid, Oklahoma. He attended Central Teachers College at Warrensburg, Missouri, in 1904, Culver-Stockton College at Canton, Missouri, in 1906, and Kansas University the summer of 1918. He was a student at Northwestern University the summer of 1921, and the Omaha Presbyterian Seminary the summer of 1931. In 1912 he was a member of the team winning cup in debate at Phillips, and was president of the junior class and president of his senior class at Phillips. He was first baseman on the baseball teams at Culver-Stockton and Phillips.

Ordained to the Christian ministry on May 30, 1906, Mr. Babb held pastorates at Coldwater, Kansas, 1912, August, 1914, and since 1914 at Girard. He is the editor of the Christian Messenger, published at Girard, a church paper now in its eighth year. Prior to being ordained, he taught in the schools of Missouri and Colorado for eight years. He is an independent Republican.

On June 10, 1913, he was married to Georgie Rey Osburn at Perry, Oklahoma. Mrs. Babb was born at Red Cloud, Nebraska, June 17, 1886, and is a former teacher in the public schools. Her father, John Osburn, was born in Indiana, and her mother, Anna Bond, was of Quaker stock, born in Iowa. Her father's mother, whose name was Crawford, was a close relative of Governor Crawford of Kansas and a distant relative of Mrs. Capper. There are three children, Marjorie Maxine, born February 3, 1918; Geraldine Marie, born February 2, 1920; and Freida Florein, born September 11, 1922.

Mr. Babb is a member of the Kansas Ministerial Institute, a member of the board of the Kansas Christian Missionary Society with headquarters in Topeka and has served as president of this board, 1921-22. He is a member of the Kiwanis Club, president, district trustee, lieutenant-governor, of the Mo-Kan-Ark District, 1928. He is a member of the Chamber of Commerce, and the Red Cross. During the late war he was a four minute speaker and was commissioned by the Young Men's Christian Association to serve at Ft. Dodge, Iowa, just as hostilities ceased. His favorite sports are tennis and baseball.

During 1927 he made a study-tour of England, France, Egypt, Palestine, Syria, Turkey, Greece and Italy. Residence: Girard. (Illustriana Kansas, by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, page 53)

BALES, ALBA

Alba Bates, first head of the Department of Household Science and Arts, which was announced for the first time in 1914, came to the Manual Training Normal School in September of that year, and remained for four years until the summer of 1918.
In the bulletin announcing the new organization three different titles were employed: "Department of Household Arts and Sciences," on the front cover; "Department of Household Science and Arts," on the title-page, and "Department of Home Economics," on page 5.

She was a student in the Chicago Normal School for one year, 1894-1895; in Oberlin College, Oberlin, Ohio for four years, 1896-1898 and 1902-1904; and was a graduate of the School of Household Science and Arts, Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, New York, 1909.

Her teaching experience before coming to Pittsburg included one year, 1895-1896, as teacher in the grades, Kendallville, Indiana; for years, 1898-1902, as principal of a ward school, same; three years, 1904-1907, as teacher of science and history in the Senior High School, Albion, Indiana; and five years, 1909-1914, as director of the department of home economics, State Normal School, Lewiston, Idaho. (A History of the Kansas State Teachers College of Pittsburg, 1903-1941, by William T. Bawden, January, 1952, pages 273-274)

BENNETT, BERTHA A.

Bertha A. Bennett, first director of the Department of Physical Education for Women, came to the Manual Training Normal School in the fall of 1919, at which time the original department of Physical Training was divided.

She was a graduate of the Posse Normal School of Gymnastics, and of the Teachers College, Columbia University, New York, from which institution she held the BS degree and the Teacher's Diploma in Physical Education.

She remained at the Manual Training Normal School one year, until her resignation in the summer of 1920. (A History of the Kansas State Teachers College of Pittsburg, 1903-1941, by William T. Bawden, January, 1952, page 274)

BOWEN, DAVID M.

David M. Bowen, first principal of the training school and de facto head of the Department of Education, was born at Centerville, Indiana, October 8, 1860 and died after an extended illness at the home of his son in Indianapolis, January 9, 1940.

In 1864, the family moved to Knightstown, Indiana, and the young son went to school until 1873, when the family returned to the farm and his schooling was interrupted for several years. Later, he studied one year, 1882-1883 at Spiceland Academy, and two years, 1883-1885 at a private normal school in Danville, Indiana, receiving the diploma in the latter year. In 1886, Bowen came to Kansas and took up a homesteading claim in Wichita County, but the same year he went to Fort Scott, Kansas, to enter the old Kansas Normal College, a private normal school, where he received the AB degree in 1889.

He began his educational career in 1889 as a teacher in the Ivy School, Fort Scott. In 1891 he was appointed principal of the high school and for fourteen years 1895-1909, he served as superintendent of schools in that city.

In 1905 he was elected president of the Kansas State Teachers Association. In the same year he was elected a member of the faculty of the Manual training Normal School of Pittsburg, but the Fort Scott board of education declined to accept his resignation. Four years later, in 1909, Bowen again resigned his position in Fort Scott and became the first principal of the training school at Pittsburg. He was named professor of pedagogy and thus became head of what is now the Department of Education and Psychology, although the "Department of Education" was not specifically designated in the official bulletin of the School until July, 1912.

From 1913 to 1915, Bowen was granted leave of absence to accept appointment as secretary of the Kansas State Board of Administration, appointed by the governor in that year to have charge of the state institutions of higher learning. Returning to the Normal School, he served twelve years, 1915-1927, as principal of the training school and ten years 1927-1937 as professor of education. In 1938 he was obliged to relinquish part of his work and in 1939 ill health forced his retirement from active duty.

During his career, Professor Bowen was one of the most widely known educators in Kansas because of his activities in professional organizations. He took a prominent part in the struggle in that culminated in the official independence of the Pittsburg institution, in 193. At one stage of the controversy, Professor Bowen was slated for dismissal, along with Principal Russ. However, Bowen won the admiration of the members of the board of regents by his outrageous attitude, his ability to marshal the facts, and his fairness in presenting and discussing the issues, and the board voted to retain his services. (A History of the Kansas State Teachers College of Pittsburg, 1903-1941, by William T. Bawden, January, 1952, pages 274-275)

BRANDENBURG, WILLIAM AARON

William Aaron Brandeburg, third in the succession of administrative heads, and first president of the Kansas State Manual Training Normal School, was born in Volga, Iowa, October 10, 1869, and died in St. Louis, Missouri, on Tuesday, October 29, 1940, in his 71st year.

He grew up on a farm in Clayton County, Iowa and until the age of 17 years his education was limited to attendance at rural schools. He then attended high school in Volga. His teaching career began in 1890 at the age of 21 in a rural log schoolhouse 12 by 14 feet. He then taught for a period in the rural school which he attended as a boy and still later he was for three years, 1896-1899 principal of the high school in Volga.

He was a graduate of Drake University, Des Moines, Iowa, with the degrees, PhB, 1903 and MA, 1905. In 1925 he was awarded the honorary degree of LLD from Monmouth College, Monmouth, Illinois.

After serving as principal of the Capital Park High School, Des Moines, he was for five years, 1905-1910, superintendent of public schools, Mason City, Iowa; and for three years, 1910-193 he was superintendent of public schools, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

Dr. Brandenburg was a member of Phi Beta Kappa also Kappa Delta Pi. He served as counselor of Alpha Zeta chapter of Kappa Delta Pi from its establishment on the campus of Kansas State Teachers College in 1925 until his death.

He was elected first president of the Manual Training Normal School at a meeting of the state board of administration held on July 15, 1913 and took office on August 1. The inauguration exercises for his official installation as president were held on March 27, 1914.

Dr. Brandenburg held a commanding position as a national leader in the field of teacher education, and particularly in industrial arts and vocational education. He served as president of the American Association of Teachers Colleges, now the American Association of Colleges of Teacher Education. He held important committee assignments in the National Education Association, the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools, American Association of School Administrators, and other professional organizations.

Prominent in civic affairs and Masonry, he was president of the Pittsburg Chamber of Commerce in 1927 and member of the board of directors for 22 years; also member of the board of directors of the Kansas State Chamber of Commerce for several years and president for one term. For many years he had charge of the 17th degree of the Scottish Rite Masonry. In 1929 he was potentate of the Mirza Temple of the Shrine of Pittsburg.

While his reputation as a builder and educator grew with the development of the College under his leadership, he became well known as a forceful and effective speaker in great demand not only before educational and professional conventions, but also before audiences of citizens and legislators. He played a prominent part in the development of public education in Kansas, served as president of the Kansas State Teachers Association in 1938 and for 19 years he was a member of the Kansas State Board of Education, the Kansas State Board for Vocational Education, the Kansas State Textbook Commission; and president of the Kansas Schoolmasters Club.

He served five years as a member of the committee on accrediting and classification of the American Association of Teachers Colleges, and in 1929 he was elected president which position he held at the time of his death. For two years, 1935-1937 he was a member of the executive committee of the North central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.

In March, 1938, a week of festivities marked the celebration of Dr. Brandenburg's 25 years as president of the College. Eminent educators from various parts of the country, members of the state board of regents, and state leaders including Governor Walter Huxman, and prominent alumni, participated in the programs of the week. (A History of the Kansas State Teachers College of Pittsburg, 1903-1941, by William T. Bawden, January, 1952, pages 276-277)

BOWER, LYLE I.

Lyle I. Bower, first head of the Department of Drawing and Design which was later incorporated in the present Department of Industrial Education and Art, came to the Manual Training Normal School in September 1904 as instructor of manual training for the grades, drawing, and water color. The "Department of Drawing and Design' was first mentioned in the announcement for 1910-191 and Brower was listed as head of the "Department of Art" in the faculty roster. He continued in this capacity until his resignation in the summer of 1920.

He was a graduate of the University of Illinois, Urbana, BS degree, 1898 and enrolled for postgraduate work in education and drawing in three summer sessions, 1902, 1903, 1904.

His teaching experience included five years, 1898-1903 as director of manual training and drawing in the public schools of Rockford, Illinois. During this period he was for three years, 1899, 1900, 1901 in charge of instruction in mechanical drawing in the evening school maintained by the Rockford Young Men's Christian Association; also for two years, 1899, 1900, he was director of the Rockford Vacation school; one years, 1903-1904, director of manual training in the public schools, Elgin, Illinois; one year, 1904-1905, director of manual training and instructor of freehand drawing, Senior High School, Springfield, Illinois. For two years, 1916-1918 he was a member of the board of trustees of the Kansas Federation of Arts. (A History of the Kansas State Teachers College of Pittsburg, 1903-1941, by William T. Bawden, January, 1952, pages 277-278)

BUCHMAN, JOSEPH ALBERT

Joseph Albert Buchman, merchant, was born in Wales, Austria, February 17, 1890, and has resided in Kansas for the past 39 years. He came with his parents to America in 1891. His father, Frank Buchman was born in Weiss, Austria, July 12, 1856. His mother Gertrude Kremser, was born in Weiss, October 18, 1853 and died at Frontenac, Kansas, November 25, 1901.

Joseph Albert Buchman attended public school at Frontenac until May, 1904. From 1911 until 1917 he operated a billiard parlor, Padley, Kansas, and from 1917 until 1919 was the owner of a garage at Miami, Oklahoma. During the year 1920 he engaged in civil engineering and in 1921 entered the coal mining business. At the present time he is the owner of the Buchman Grocery and Market and the owner of an apartment house. He is a Republican.

On february 21, 1914 he was married to Grace Juanita Lansdown at Kansas City, Missouri. Mrs. Buckman was born at Pittsburg, April 20, 1897 and is a musician. She comes of a family of five children. Mr. and Mrs. Buchman have one son, Arthur, born November 3, 1914 who is also a musician.

Mr. Buckman is now serving as president of the Crawford County retailers Association. he is a member of the trade development committee of the Chamber of Commerce, having served in that capacity since 1927. He is a director of the Rotary Club having held that position since 1931 and at the present time is a member of the Unemployment Relief commission. He is an Elk, a Master Mason (Chapter Council, Commandery, Scottish Rite 32nd degree and Shrine. Since 1930 he has been a member of the Pittsburg school board.

Mr. Buchman's religious affiliation is with the Christian Church. He has been a member of its board of directors of the Young Men's Christian Association. His club is the Pittsburg Country Club. Residence: Pittsburg. (Illustriana Kansas, by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, page 168)

BUMANN, FRED MORGAN

Fred Morgan Bumann was born in Bunker Hill, Illinois, July 10, 1886 son of Emil Fred and Mamie (Morgan) Bumann. Emil Fred Bumann, who was a merchant also was born in Bunker Hill, June 29, 1859 and died there March 13,1 927. His family came to America from germany about 1820. Mamie Morgan was born in st. Louis, Missouri, January 23, 1863 and died at Bunker HIll, February 17, 1904.

Educated first in public school, Fred Morgan Bumann attended high school one year and for two years was a student at Kansas State Teachers College at Pittsburg.

On June 5, 1907 he was married to Vesta Rogers at Pittsburg. She was born there on April 26, 1888 of Scotch-Irish descent. There are two children, Mamie born April 13, 1908 and F. Roger, June 5, 1916.

Mr. Bumann attends the Church of Christ Scientist and is a member of all branches of the Masons. He served as high priest of the Royal Arch Masons in 1917 and potentate of the Shrine in 1927. Residence: Pittsburg. (Illustriana Kansas, by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, pages 172-174)

CAMPBELL, JOHN J.

John J. Campbell, present incumbent of the office of city attorney of Pittsburg, Kansas, and otherwise prominent in the public and professional life of the city and county, joined the ranks of the legal fraternity a decade ago and has had a most successful career. He gained his start on the road to success by his great energy and inherited talent for participation in public affairs and legal matters and he has for several years been recognized among the leading representatives at the bar in one of the foremost counties of the state.

Mr. Campbell has the distinction of being a native of the Sunflower state, so that his life from birth has been identified with its institutions and activities. He was born in Neosho county, September 10, 1869, a son of Daniel and Mary (McRae) Campbell both of staunch Scotch stock and lineage. His father was born in Nova Scotia, and followed farming. He migrated to Kansas in 1867, locating in Neosho county where he was one of the pioneers and took up a prairie claim. He was a highly successful farmer there until his death which occurred in 1871. Mrs. Mary Campbell was also a native of Nova Scotia and now makes her home in Erie, Kansas, being an old lady, endeared by her many graces of character to all who know her.

Mr. Campbell spent his youth in Neosho county on the home farm. He received his early education in the district schools of his community, and later entered Baker University, at Baldwin, Kansas, where he was a student for two years. At the age of nineteen he came to Pittsburg and took up the study of law in the office of his brother, Phillip P. Campbell whose career receives cursory mention below. He was admitted to the bar in December 1803 and six months later was appointed city attorney of Pittsburg. In 1900 he was elected county attorney of Crawford county and after serving two years was offered the nomination again but declined owing to the fact that his brother was in that year a candidate for Congress. In the spring of 1903 he was again appointed city attorney and is still serving in that office.

Mr. Campbell is unmarried. He is highly esteemed in social and business circles, and is especially prominent in local politics. He has gained quite a reputation as an orator and is often called upon to make speeches during the campaigns and on other occasions. He is a past exalted ruler and very prominent in the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and is a high-degree Mason, having all the consistory degrees including the thirty-second and being a Shriner. (A Twentieth Century History and Birographical Record of Crawford County, Kansas, by Home Authors, 1905, pages 267-266)

CAMPBELL, P. P. HON.

Hon. P. P. Campbell the brother of John J. Campbell and present congressman from the third Kansas district is a lawyer and professional man of whom the state has greatest reason to be proud. He ws born in Nova Scotia in 1862 and grew up on his father's claim in Neosho county working hard at farm duties during his youth. He received a district school education and afterward entered Baker University where he helped pay his expenses by the vigorous use of a bucksaw. Such energy combined with his native talent was a certifiate in advance for good results and after hard work he graduated six years later. He studied law while on the farm and in the office of Coggswell and Kinney, at Osage Mission, Kansas and was admitted to the bar at Fredonia, Wilson county, Kansas in 1889.

He began practice at Pittsburg immediately after his admission and his ability and enterprising resourcefulness soon won him a place among the leading members of the bar in Crawford county.He made his first political speech at Chanute, Kansas, in 1884, and ever since that time has been in great demand as a campaign orator and has delivered effective speeches in sixty-five different counties of Kansas. One of his notable addresses was delivered before the Marquette Club at Chicago, at the Lincoln Day banquet, February 12, 1902 and was entitled "Responsive Powers of the Republic."

On June 12, 1902, the Republican convention of the third Kansas district in session at Winfield, Kansas, nominated him for Congress with the unanimous endorsement of his country, and in the following November he was elected by an overwhelming majority and is now one of the intelligent representatives of his state in the lower house of the national legislature. (A Twentieth Century History and Birographical Record of Crawford County, Kansas, by Home Authors, 1905, pages 267-268)

CARLTON, J. A.

J. A. Carlton, president of the Farmers' State Bank of Walnut, is one of the most thoroughly representative business men and financiers in Crawford county and southeastern Kansas. In this capacity his worth and importance to the county and the town of his residence is well known and appreciated. But of especial interest to the reader of this history is the fact that his large success has been gained by hard and persistent industry and intelligent application beginning with the period of boyhood, and that in a varied career, connected with numerous enterprises, he has adhered steadily to the principles of rugged honesty and absolute integrity which were inculcated in him while a youth growing up among the hills of old New Hampshire. He has been progressing to the goal of his ambition throughout a period of some forty years, and as a successful, honorable and public spirited citizen his place in Crawford county is one of broad usefulness and worth.

Mr. Carlton is a native of Conway, New Hampshire, where he was born August 2, 1846. His parents were Andrew and Nancy (West) Carlton, natives, respectively of Vermont and New Hampshire and both now deceased. After a brief period of educational discipline in the schools of New Hampshire, young Carlton aged sixteen left home and went to the New England metropolis of Boston, where he worked in an express office two years. The scene of his endeavors was then transferred to the west, and two years of his early life were spent as a school teacher at Mt. Vernon, Wisconsin, where he later became engaged in the general merchandise business. His health failing, after five years he sold out and returned to New Hampshire, where for twelve years the mercantile and lumber business engrossed his activities and all the time he was progressing and gaining a substantial place in the world of business. Selling out his New Hampshire interests, he next spent two years in Missouri and on December 1, 1889, arrived in Walnut, Crawford County and engaged in the general merchandise business which has been successfully continued for fifteen years. In March, 1904 was organized the Farmers' State Bank of which he has since been president and most active in promoting its success. The other officers of this institution are: George Goff, cashier; D. B. Gregory, vice president; and B. E. Carlos, secretary. Mr. Carlton is also one of the largest money lenders in this part of the country, making loans on real estate, personals and chattels. On his ranch of seven thousand acres near Dodge City, Kansas, he raises large numbers of cattle and other live stock and he also owns two fine farms in this county, besides his comfortable residence in Walnut and the block and store where his bank is located.

Mr. Carlton is fraternally a thirty-second degree Mason. In politics he is a Republican, and has served as mayor of his town and also as township assessor.

He was married in 1870 to Miss Mary L. Haselton, of his native town of Conway, New Hampshire. They have two children, Winifred is the wife of Hollis Cole, of Conway, New Hampshire, and the son Guy is a merchant and stock buyer of Walnut. (A Twentieth Century History and Birographical Record of Crawford County, Kansas, by Home Authors, 1905, pages 352 - 356)

CASAD, ORLA SAMUEL

Orla Samuel Casad, lawyer, was born in Clinton County, Illinois, January 31, 186, and died at Pittsburg, Kansas, May 24, 1928.

His father, John Milton Casad, was a farmer of French descent, whose death occurred during the Civil War. His wife, Elizabeth Ann Moore, died at Wichita, Kansas in January 1902.

Orla Samuel Casad attended public school and the Summerfield (Illinois) High School. He received the degrees of Master of Science and Bachelor of Laws from McKendra College, Illinois, and was admitted to the bar in 1876. In his earlier days he taught school and after his admission to the bar engaged in the practice of law. A Republican, he was postmaster at Pittsburgh from 1890 until 1894, and was first elected justice of the peace in 1896. This position he held most of the time until his death. He served as city clerk of Pittsburg in 1886 and as police judge in 1911.

On September 20, 1876, Mr. Casad was married to Allie Mary Babcock at Summerfield, Illinois. She was born at Taylorville, New York, July 22, 1853, of English ancestry, daughter of William S. and Martha Ann (Wood) Babcock. To Judge and Mrs. Casad the following children were born, Ethel on December 5, 1877, who married James F. Larkin and who is a widow; Allie Lenora, born April 2, 1881, who married Alfred G. Hazen; Orlena Fay, born July 20, 1890 who married Fred A. Palmer; Marguerite Finch, born November 14, 1895, who died July 12, 1896; and Josephine Mildred, born August 23, 1897, who married Charles E. Smith.

Mr. Casad served in the Civil War from 1861 until 1865, and participated in the battles of Boleres, Leur, Holly Springs, and Little Rock, Arkansas, in addition to others. He has held all offices in the Grand Army of the Republic and served as a captain in the Kansas National Guard. From early manhood Mr. Casad was a member of the Masons. He was also a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, and was affiliated with the Methodist Episcopal Church. (Illustriana Kansas by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, page 213 submitted by Peggy Thompson)

CLARK, CHARLES ARTHUR

Charles Arthur clark, grain dealer was born at Pittsburg, Kansas, March 14, 1885, son of Enos Reed and Elizabeth (Clark) Clark. The father, born in Indiana, September 11, 1842, was a flour miller. He served in the Union Army during the Civil War and was wounded at the Battle of Gettysburg. His death occurred at Caney on December 26, 1920. Elizabeth Clark was born in North Carolina, September 8, 1845, and died at Walnut, Kansas in 1919.

Charles Arthur Clark Attended public and high schools, and in 1918 began work for the Crawford County Farmers Union Co-operative Association at Walnut, Kansas. In 1919 he took charge at that point as manager, and in 1921, was made general manager with headquarters at Girard. He is a Republican.

On November 30, 1905, he was married to Muriel Joy Wilson at Erie. Mrs. Clark was born in Erie, August 14, 1886. There are three children, L. Kenneth, born July 9, 1906; Anna E., born September 22, 1910 and Betty Lea, born September 15, 1923.

Mr. Clark was elected mayor of Walnut, Kansas in 1919 serving two years and was elected to a second term in 1921. He served four months and resigned to move to Girard. In 1926 he was elected mayor of Girard, serving one term of three years. On April 5, 1932 he was re-elected. He is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, chapter and Knights Templar and was commander of the Palestine Commandery in 1926. Residence: Girard. (Illustriana Kansas, by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, pages 226-227)

CONNET, FRED MARVIN

Fred Marvin Connet, printer and publisher, was born at Stanford, Indiana, October 10, 1868, son of John Nelson and Mary Emily (Rose) Connet.

The father was born in Green County, Pennsylvania, June 23, 1830 and died at Baileyville, Kansas, September 19, 1889. He was a farmer and sheep raiser, the son of Isaac Connet, who was the son James, who was also the son of James Connet. Mary Emily Rose was born in Senecaville, Ohio, March 16, 1836 and died at Stanford, Indiana, August 4, 1871. She was the daughter of William and Mary Ann (Thompson) Rose.

He taught school for one year and from 1893 until 1908 was in the lumber business. He was employed by Witmer Brothers at Baileyville from 1893 until 1898 and by Clark and Bates Lumber Company 1898-1905 at Gas City, Kansas. During the years 1905 until 1907 he was with George Fowler and Company at Colby and the Foster Lumber Company at Atwood.

In 1907 Mr Connet purchased the Davis Printing Plant at Iola and since 1919 has been the owner of a printing and publishing business at Pittsburg, publishing the Pittsburg Advertiser a weekly newspaper.

On Septmeber 2, 1891 Mr. Connet was married to Ida Jane Curtis at Axtell. She was born at Truo, Illinois, October 20, 1864 and died at Pittsburg, Kansas, July 12, 1921. She was the daughter of John and Mary (Kinsley) Curtis.

To them were born the following children: Chester, on September 12, 1892 who married Ruth Mary Jones, and who died on June 7, 1927; Ina born September 10, 1894; Nelson born April 5, 1901 who married Mary Lawrence; Vena born April 3, 1897 who married Alfred Cookman Runyan; and Bernice, born February 12, 1903.

Mr. Connet is an independent Republican. He is a member of the First Presbyterian Church, the Young Men’s Christian Association, the Red Cross, the Chamber of Commerce (civic committee), the Kiwanis Club (secretary, 1927-28 and director, 1927 and 1932), the Security Benefit Association and the Practorians of Texas. Residence: Pittsburg.  (Illustriana Kansas by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, Page 249, transcribed by Peggy Thompson)

CONRAD, ELLEN RIORDAN

Ellen Riordan Conrad, clubwoman was born in Aubane, Millstreet, County Cork, Ireland and for the past 34 years has resided in Kansas. Her father, Bartholomew Riordan was born in County Cork, Ireland, a member of the O’Riordan Clan. He was a farmer until his death in County Cork. Ellen Canty, wife of Bartholomew Riordan was also born in County Cork.

Ellen Riordan attended Convent School at Millstreet, and on January 20, 1896 was married to Edgar Marion Conrad at Pittsburg. He was born at Petersburg, Illinois, January 7, 1865 and is a retired timekeeper. There are four children, Ann born August 10, 1898; Edgar born January 8, 1899 who married Ruth Montee; John, born September 14, 1904 who married May Fern Adams; and Nellie born July 29, 1910.

Mrs. Conrad served for 14 years as secretary of the board of public welfare of Pittsburg. She is vice chairman of the Federated Clubs Student Loan Fund (member of the student loan fund for State Teacher’s College). During the late war she was chairman of Red Cross loan drives and at the present time is a member of Ben Fuller Post of the American Legion Auxiliary.

A Catholic, Mrs. Conrad is a member of Lady of Lourdes Church at Pittsburg. She has served as state regent for the Daughters of Isabella for seven years, and as national outside guard for the same organization for four years. She has been for 12 years a member of the History Study Club and for 16 years a member of the Women’s Federation of Clubs. She is a member of the Kansas State Historical Society, the Security Benefit Association since 1914 and the Ladies of the Maccabees (1918). Residence: Pittsburg.  (Illustriana Kansas by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, Page 250, transcribed by Peggy Thompson)

GRACEY, CHRISTOPHER C.

Christopher C. Gracey, who owns and resides upon a nice little estate of forty acres in Osage township, is one of the old settlers of Crawford County, having come here in 1869 when the prairies still stretched almost continuous from one boundary line to the other, only broken here and there by a cultivated field and a newly established homestead. He has accordingly witnessed the development and transformation which have since taken place in the county and as he has borne his part most creditably in all the activities to which he has been called he merits mention in the history of his county as a man of worth and public-spirited citizenship.

Mr. Gracey also deserves mentions as one of the soldier citizens of the county. On the 21st of August, 1863, being at that time sixteen years of age, he enlisted at St. Louis, from Bond county, Illinois in Company D (later transferred to Company E) Third Illinois Cavalry, under Captain Joseph K. McLean and Colonel Karahan; from Benton Barracks they were sent to Little Rock, and later formed General Steel's body guard were at Memphis, Nashville and at various other points oin the Mississippi valley; were order to Fort Snelling, Minnesota to quell the outbreak of the Sioux Indians and that rough rider service took them all along the northern border toward Canada and in the Dakotas. Mr. Gracey received his honorable discharge at Springfield, Illinois, in October 1865, after having seen hard service in the army and gaining an excellent record as a soldier although still a boy when he was discharged.

Mr. Gracey was born in Madison county, Illinois, in 1847 being a son of William and Caroline (Campbell) Gracey, his father a native of Tennessee and of an old family of that state and his mother a native of North Carolina. The parents both died in Illinois, the father in Hancock county. He followed the occupation of farmer in politics was a Democrat and he and his wife were members of the Methodist church.

They had six children, five sons, John, William, Joseph, Christopher C., and George, and all of them were soldiers. William D. died at Little Rock, Arkansas in the fall of 1863 and George the youngest was drowned in the Ohio river in the spring of 1865.

Mr. Gracey was first married to Miss Kate Smith, a native of Kentucky, a duaghter of Asa and Nancy Smith also of that state. This first wife died in Coffey county, Kansas leaving two sons, Willard and George. Mr. Gracey afterward married Mary Etta Thompson, a daughter of George and Sarah Thompson, of Madison county, Illinois. There are two children by this union, Frank and Verda. Mr. Gracey is a Republican in politics, and is affiliated with the Grand Army of the Republic. (A Twentieth Century History and Birographical Record of Crawford County, Kansas, by Home Authors, 1905, pages 251-252)

HIETT, JESSE C.

A most noticeable fact in the business world is that young men are controlling the avenues and arteries of trade, are conducting important industrial and commerical interests and are rapidly working their way to the front in the professions. Take any western community and therein it will be found that the real leaders in business are men who perhaps have not yet attained the prime of life, but who, possessing the enterprising and progressive spirit which dominates the west, have made for themselves a name and place as representatives of financial interests. To this class Jesse C. Hiett belongs. He is engaged in the real estate business in Girard, Kansas, and although but a young man has secured a good clientage in his chosen field of labor.

He was born in Crawford county, Kansas, March 26, 1876, and is a son of James M. and Sarah L. (Brown) Hiett, the former a native of Virginia and the latter of Illinois. James M. Hiett after leaving the Old Dominion, became a resident of Illinois and the year 1874 witnessed his arrival in Crawford county, Kansas, where he secured a tract of land and began agriculturual pursuits. He was thus actively engaged until about three years ago, when he put aside the arduous duties of the farm and retired to private life, establishing his home in Girard, where he is now enjoying a well merited rest and the fruits of his former toil. In the family were five children, namely: Arthur E., who is now a resident of Pittsburg, Kansas; Julius S., who makes his home in San Francisco, California; Jesse C., of this review; Hattie May; the wife of Hugh Gregg of Girard; and Earl C., who is at home with his parents.

In taking up the history of Jesse C. Hiett, a native son of Crawford county, we present to our readers the life record of one who is widely and favorably known here. He is indebted to the public school system for the early educational privileges which he enjoyed and when he had completed the work of the common schools, he entered the high schools at Cherokee, Kansas. He has always made his home under the parental roof. In March, 1901, he became a member of the firm of David & Hiett, real estate agents of Girard, but this connection was maintained for only four months, at the end of which time Mr. Hiett purchased his partner's interest and has since conducted business alone as a real estate fire insurance and loan agent. He has thoroughly informed huimself concerning the realty values in this part of the country and he also does considerable business in the other departments of the undertaking to which he directs his energies. He makes a specialty of Kansas and Missouri farm lands, is also emigrant agent for the Frisco Railroad. Mr. Hiett belongs to Girard Lodge No. 55. I. O. O. F. of Girard, and he gives his political support to the Democracy. He is also a member of the Fraternal Order of Eagles of Girard, as a charter member of Eyrie No. 869. He served as township clerk for three years but otherwise has never sought or desired public office, preferring to give his attention to his business affairs, wherein he is meeting with creditable success. (A Twentieth Century History and Birographical Record of Crawford County, Kansas, by Home Authors, 1905, pages 262 - 263)

HESS, LEWIS

Lewis Hess, the well known stock farmer at Hepler, has passed all his life since boyhood in Crawford county, and has gained a most creditable degree of success both as a farmer and business man. He has been identified with the progressive movements in the county, and has often been found among the cohorts of progress and upbuilding and in the promotion of those especially worthy enterprise, Public trsuts have also been confided in him, and he has never lacked the eminent degree of public-spirited citizenship for which our German-American residents are noted.

Mr. Hess was born in Hanover, Germany, January 1, 1851, being a son of Henry and Grace (Brunjus) Hess. His parents brought their family to America in 1855 and settled first in Benton County, Missouri, but in the early year of 1866 moved to Crawford County or as it was then alled the Neutral Lands. His father engaged in farming here during the remainder of his life, which came to a peaceful close in 1894 when he was eighty-two years old, followed two years later by the departure of his wife then aged seventy two years.

Mr. Lewis Hess attended school in Missouri and after coming to Crawford county lived at home and followed farming until 1877. He then bought a farm of one hundred and sixty acres in Sherman township, but sold this in 1886 and moved into Hepler where he first embarked in the livery business and later in the general merchandise business. Since selling out his mercantile interests he has devoted himself most successfully to stock farming and he has found this a most profitable line of activity. He has a farm of one hundred and sixty acres, and eighty acres of this lies within the city limits of Hepler, and his residence is also in the town.

Mr. Hess was for some time a member of the Masonic blue lodge at Walnut, Lodge No. 229. He is a staunch Republican and in public affairs has held the office of township assessor and school treasurer. Mr. Hess was married, January 31, 1877 to Miss Ella Carter a daughter of Albert and Mary Ann Carter. Her father died in 1890 at the age of sixty five years but her mother is now living at the Hess home, being seventy-nine years old. Mr. and Mrs. Hess have had the following children; Charles, who was a brakeman on the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad, and was killed at Junction City about two years ago; Herman who died at the age of eighteen months; James, who died at the age of six months; Ruth who died when three years old; and Dwyer who died when four months old. (A Twentieth Century History and Birographical Record of Crawford County, Kansas, by Home Authors, 1905, pages 253 - 254)

LAMB, T. E.

T. E. LAMB, farmer and teamer, Section 27, P. O. New Pittsburg, was born in Indiana in 1834. At the age of nineteen he learned the carpenter's trade, at which he worked ten years. He was then at Lawrence Kan., a short time, and at Burlingame, Kan., five months, coming from Burlingame to Ottawa, where he lived eight years, and in 1872 located on a farm in Crawford County. He remained on the farm eight years, and then built a residence in Pittsburg, to which city he moved his family, and where he now resides. He still carries on his farm, upon which he raises grain and stock; his farm and orchard are enclosed by a hedge and wire fence, and his farm is underlaid with a fine vein of coal. He was married to Miss H. M. Blair, of Ohio, in 1857, and has five children living--Edmond O., Mabel C., Rose F., Elmer D. and Lorenzo D.; Elnora, Alonzo and Thomas E., deceased. His wife died in 1876, and he was married to Miss Louisa J. Haladay, of Indiana, in 1880. Edmond O. Lamb (eldest son of T. E. Lamb), was born in Indiana in 1860; raised and educated in Kansas, and has been engaged with the Smelting Company of Pittsburg three years; visited his native State in 1882, on a pleasure trip and remained four months, at the end of which time he returned to Kansas. (William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL.)

LANYON, EDWIN V.

Edwin V. Lanyon, president of the National Bank of Pittsburg, is one of the foremost business men and industrial promoters of this city and county. The name of Lanyon appears frequently throughout this work, the family history and enterprises forming an integral part of the annals of Crawford county, as well as of several other industrial centers of the middle west. Mr. E. V. Lanyon is of the second generation of this remarkable family of financiers and industrial magnates and has done his full share in building up the great interests under the Lanyon name and in making for himself an honored career among his fellow citizens.

Mr. Lanyon was born at Mineral Point, Wisconsin, in 1863, that town having been the point of settlement when the Lanyons came from England and there they made the beginnings of the zinc industry which made their fortunes. His parents are Josiah and Jane (Trevorrow) Lanyon the latter a native of England and the former a native of Mineral Point, although of an English-born father, Josiah Lanyon came to Pittsburg in 1882 in connection with the Pittsburg smelter established at that time. He and his wife now live in Mineral Point, Wisconsin.

Mr. E. V. Lanyon was reared and received most of his education at Mineral Point, Wisconsin. He came to Pittsburg with his father in 1882 and learned the zine smelting business throughout and became connected with the industry. He was later with the smelter at Iola, Kansas and afterward at Neodesha where he remained until November, 1903 when he returned to Pittsburg as a place of residence. He is president of the Lanyons' bank in Pittsburg, the National Bank of Pittsburg, whose improtant place among the financial institutions of this part of the state is detailed in another part of this work. He devotes all his time to the banking business and has proved himself to be possessed of the characteristic financial ability of the family.

Mr. Lanyon was elected mayor of Pittsburg in April 1897 and gave a most business like and creditable administration for two years. Pittsburg has been his place of residence and center of activity for over twenty years and he has always been found a most enterprising factor in promoting its development and welfare. He is a Republican in politics. Fraternally he is connected with the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and with other societies.

Mr. Lanyon was married in Pittsburg in 1889 to Miss Lydia Scott, daughter of Thomas L. Scott, whose history and important connection with the city of Pittsburg is given elsewhere in this work. Mr. and Mrs. Lanyon have three children, Margery, Edwina and Dorothy. (A Twentieth Century History and Birographical Record of Crawford County, Kansas, by Home Authors, 1905, pages 244 - 249)

LANYON, WILLIAM JR.

William Lanyon Jr., a director of the National Bank of Pittsburg and prominent in other directions in Pittsburg and southeastern Kansas, is a member of the well known Lanyon family which figures so conspicuously on these pages both from a personal point of view and because of the immense impetus which their industries and financial enterprises have given to Crawford county as well as to other centers of the middle west. Zinc smelting was for many years the great industry of the Pittsburg district and still retains an important place here, and the various members of the last two adult generations of the Lanyons were responsible for its establishment and successful prosecution in these parts. Mr. William Lanyon, Jr., has himself maintained the high reputation of his house in his career as a financier and industrial magnate and is recognized as one of the powers that move the business machinery of Pittsburg.

Mr. Lanyon was born at Mineral Point, Wisconsin, in 1862, being a son of William and Maria (Thomas) Lanyon. William, Sr., was born in England where all the family had their origin, and when a child was brought to American shores by his parents, who settled at Mineral Point about the same time the other Lanyons located there. Mineral Point is the place where the Lanyon zinc industry, which afterward aggregated millions of dollars in property had its humble beginning. The senior Mr. Lanyon came to Pittsburg, Kansas in 1882 in the interest of the smelter plant established at that time and has since spent much of his time in southeastern Kansas, but he and his wife still retain their home at Mineral Point. He is now president of the State Bank of Iola, Kansas, at which city he spends much of his time. Like most of the other members of the family he has disposed of a large part of his smelter interests and is devoting his attention mainly to banking.

Mr. William Lanyon, Jr., came to Pittsburg with his father in 1882 and became connected with then recently established Lanyon smelter. A few years later the discovery of natural gas in the vicinity of Iola caused a removal of the smelter plants to that place in order that they might benefit by the cheap fuel and Mr. Lanyon moved to that city temporarily and was later connected with the Lanyon zinc works at Neodesha. All the time, however, he has retained his home in Pittsburg, his residence on North Joplin street occupying the entire half block between Nineteenth and Twentieth, being one of the most commodious and comfortable homes of the city. In September 1903 he disposed of most of his interests at Neodesha and purchased an interest in the Lanyon bank at Pittsburg, the National Bank of Pittsburg and as one of the directors he gives largely of his time and energies to the management of this important financial institution whose history is given on other pages of this work. He is one of the largest stockholders in this bank.

Mr. Lanyon is a member of the Pittsburg board of education and is interested in all matters affecting the public welfare. He has attained to the thirty-second degree in masonry and is a member of the commandery and of the Mystic Shrine. He was married in 1883 to Miss Amelia (Spratler) Lanyon and they have four children, Roy, Linnett, Wilma and Helen. (A Twentieth Century History and Birographical Record of Crawford County, Kansas, by Home Authors, 1905, pages 256-262)

LAUGHLIN, FRANK

Frank Laughlin, who is the author of the history of the press of Crawford County to be found in the general history portion of this volume, is a newspaper man of long and varied experience, and has been very closely identified with the public press of this section of the state of Kansas. During his earlier years he engaged in several vocations, but in the end found journalism the most inviting and congenial occupation and in the past twenty five years has made its pursuit the most successful and worthy aim of his endeavors.

Mr. Laughlin whose full name is William Franklin was born on a farm near Sidney, Ohio, January 26, 1854, a son of W. D. and Permela Laughlin. His father in his early life was a steamboat captain and served in other capacities in the river boating business, but later took up the occupation of farmer. He and his wife were both of Irish stock.

Mr. Frank Laughlin, after his common schooling, attended the Sidney High School and the Wesleyan University at Bloomington, Illinois, and also graduated from the business college at Bloomington. While passing the years of his boyhood in Sidney he learned the printer's trade, although he did not for several years make that the basis of his career. He left univeristy on account of overtaxed eyesight, and then followed the railway train service until he attained the position of conductor. From that he drifted back into printing. He was one of the editors and proprietors of the Girard Herald for several years, and has also had experience on the metropolitan dailies. For the past twelve years, he has been city editor of the Pittsburg Daily Headlight and as a citizen and in his editorial capacity has taken much interest in the public advancement and welfare of both city and county. Most of his twenty-five years of newspaper experience has been in southeastern Kansas and southwestern Missouri.

Mr. Laughlin was married at Girard, Kansas, July 3, 1877 to Miss Grace E. Burnaugh, and they have two children: Mrs. C. V. Stewart, born November 12, 1878 and Harry Laughlin, born in August, 1888. (A Twentieth Century History and Birographical Record of Crawford County, Kansas, by Home Authors, 1905, pages 243 - 244)

LEONARD, JOSEPH T.

Joseph T. Leonard, Prominent among the solid financial institutions of Crawford County stands the First National Bank of Girard. Organized in 1884 with J. D. Barber as President, it enjoyed a steady growth and won the confidence of the people to an ever increasing extent during the entire period of that gentleman’s connection with it. At the close of July, 1893, nine years having elapsed since the foundation of the institution, $65,000 had been paid in dividends at twelve per cent, per annum, and a special dividend declared of twenty per cent.

The present officers of the First National Bank are: H. P. Grund, President; Joseph T. Leonard, Cashier; D. Corning, Vice-President; Directors, J. D. Barker, W. C. McMillan, D. Corning, H. P. Grund, J. E. Raymond, T. McLaughlin and J. T. Leonard. The stockholders are men of prominence in the county, and without an exception are wealthy and successful men. Mr. Grund, who served as Vice-President during the Presidency of Mr. Barker,
and who was elected President in 1892, is one of the most prominent merchants in the county, having a large establishment and conducting an extensive business at Girard.

The capital stock of the bank is $50,000, and the surplus $10,000, the entire capital being intact. The location of the bank is central, the building occupying the southwest corner of the public square. The interior furnishings are appropriate and substantial, and the safe is one of the most modern styles, having a time lock and all the latest improvements. To an unusual degree the bank enjoys the confidence of its customers, and during the financial stringency of 1893, when in every part of the United States banks were suspending business, the First National of Girard honored every demand made upon it. This was the first National bank organized in Crawford County, and although others have been established since, none have gained the popularity and the substantial success of this.

The Cashier of the bank, J. T. Leonard, was born in Beardstown, Ill., January 12, 1854. His father, E. B. Leonard, likewise a native of Cass County, Ill., is at present engaged in the mercantile business at Joplin, Mo. In his boyhood our subject was a student in the common schools of Beardstown, where he acquired a fair education. At the age of fifteen he became a surveyor on the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad, and continued thus engaged for two years. In 1872 he came to Kansas, and locating in Girard, became a clerk in the employ of H. P. Grund, with whom he remained until the fall of 1878. He then formed a partnership with G. D. Kincaid, and for a time conducted a general mercantile business.

In 1877 Mr. Leonard became Cashier of the Merchants’ & Farmers’ Bank, and continued in that capacity for one year. He did not, however, abandon his mercantile enterprise, but continued in that business until the fall of 1891, when his store was burned to the ground, causing a total loss of stock and building. In February, 1882, Mr. Leonard, together with H. P. Grund and J. D. Barker, purchased the private bank of Mr. Booth, which they conducted under the name of the Citizens’ bank, our subject being Cashier. In July, 1884, this institution was merged into the First National Bank, of which Mr. Leonard has been Cashier since its establishment.

In 1878 Mr. Leonard married Miss Anna M., daughter of Ira D. Carpenter, a prominent and wealthy farmer residing near Toronto, Canada. Mrs. Leonard was born and reared in Canada, and is a cultured and amiable lady, occupying a prominent position in social circles. Mr. and Mrs. Leonard are the parents of two children, Howard and Alice. Politically a Democrat, our subject has been influential in the councils of his party, and has served as a member of the State Central Committee, the Congressional Committee, and has been Chairman of the County Central Committee. For a number of years he has officiated as Treasurer of the Board of Education and Treasurer of the city of Girard, and is at present a member of the City County. In his social relations he is identified with the Masonic fraternity.
(Portrait and Biographical Record of Southeastern Kansas, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens of the County, Chicago, Biographical Publishing Co. 1894, Pages 169 - 170, Transcribed by Lisa Smalley)

LINDBURG, JOHN R.

John R. Lindburg, president of the First National Bank of Pittsubrg, Kansas, has been connected with the commerical and financial affairs of this city almost since its inception. In fact, when he came here, twenty-seven years ago, the population numbered forty-two persons. Pittsburg has assumed very importnat proportions since that time and is now one of the leading industrial centers of the state. Mr. Lindburg by his willing co-operation in this remarkable growth and upbuilding has made himself an influential personality int he community and is recognized as a foremost citizen in financial social and purely civic matters.

Mr. Lindburg was born in the town of Wimmerby, Sweden, in 1849 and was reared to manhood there, receiving his college education in the old instution known as Wimmerby College. He was nineteen years old when he came to the United States in 1868 and his first location was in Chicago, where he worked in a sawmill for six months. From that city he went to Peoria, Illinois, but soon returned to Chicago and obtained a position in a store and later was in the mercantile business for himself in that city. From Chicago he went to Red Oak, Iowa, where he clerked in a store for a time. He took up what has proved his permanent residence in Pittsburg, Kansas in 1877. He had a store in those early days and his own enterprises and success have increased with the progress of the city which a few years after his settlement there, entered upon a solid and substantial boom and grew from a mere hamlet to a flourishing and wealthy city in the course of a decade of time.

The First National Bank of which Mr. Lindburg is president was established in 1886. T. J. Hale being its frist president. In the following year Mr. Lindburg was made its vice president and in 1888 was elected president. On assuming the responsibilities of this important position he disposed of his commerical interests and has since devoted all his energies to making the bank a power and factor in the business activity of the city and county which landable ambition he can be said to have attained in a high degree. He has been an active working president since the day of his election always on duty and his genial temperament and wholesouled and happy manner of treating all his associates and customers have been important elements in the institution's success.

The First National has had a somewhat remarkable growth and progress and its permanence and financial integrity and conservatism of management are made much of by all its patrons. The prosperous history and present condition of the First National is shown at a glance in the following tables, one showing a comparison of assets from 1886 to 1905, and the other the statement of resources and liabilities as existing in February of 1905:

ASSETS

1886 $98,855.83   1896 $161,499.82
1887 108,217.63   1897 195,761.14
1888 123,677.30   1898 255,185.53
1889 151,825.91   1899 374,805.85
1890 130,843.27   1900 420,305.54
1891 138,760.66   1901 545,989.21
1892 167,202.18   1902 666,138.25
1893 158,174.34   1903 897,456.87
1894 172,496.10   1905 916,232.96
1895 163,509.66      

RESOURCES

 

LIABILITIES

Loans and Discounts   $558,279.59   Capital Stock   50,000.00
Furniture and Fixtures   6,000.00   Surplus and Net Profits   40,385.70
Banking House   21,000.00   Circulation   50,000.00
Other Real Estate   4,231.65   U.S. Govt. Deposit $36,000.00  
U.S. Bonds 105,000.00     Other Deposits $736,871.15  
Cash & due fm. Banks 218,745.61     Total Depot   772,871.15
Total   323,745.61        
    $913,256.85       $913.256.85

Mr. Lindburg is considered one of the most public spirited men of Pittsburg. Seldom has a movement for the upbuilding or betterment of the city been without his active co-operation and assistance often has en undertaken with his leadership and always with his entire sympathy. He is especially commended for his efficient administration of the affairs of the Pittsburg Building and Loan Association, of which he has been president for twenty years, and which during that time has never lost a dollar. He has built about ten brick business buildings in the city and with his associates has put up about two hundred dwellings which have been sold to the laboring people on installments.

For a number of years Mr. Lindburg was president of the Commerical Club of which he was the founder. He was a member of the first city council and is now a member of the city school board andin these places has done much for civic improvement and eduation advancement. He is prominent in Free Masonry being past eminent commander of the Knights Templar and has held several other positions in the fraternity.

Mr. Lindburg was married at Cambridge, Illinois in 1874 to Miss Emma Vaugn, a native of Vermont. They have three children: Lotta is the wife of Captain William J. Watson, an attorney at law and the present postmaster of Pittsburg; the two other children are Rolla R. and John R., Jr. (A Twentieth Century History and Birographical Record of Crawford County, Kansas, by Home Authors, 1905, pages 268-275)

LOAFMAN, JOHN A.

JOHN A. LOAFMAN, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 25, P. O. New Pittsburg, was born in Brown County, Ohio, in 1835, and was reared and educated there. In 1858, he located in Tazewell County, Ill. where he carried on farming for several years, after which he went to Livingston County; was actively identified with his present industry there, till 1880, when he came here and has successfully carried it on here since. He married, in 1867, Miss Alice E. Chardon, who was born and reared in Orleans County, N. Y.; they have no family. He has worked actively in the development of the industries of his locality since coming here; himself and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His farm contains eighty acres of improved land, good buildings and a nice orchard.  (William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL.)

MELOY, JAMES A.

JAMES A. MELOY, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. new Pittsburg, was born in Juniata County, Penn., March 28, 1836, and followed farming there till 1862, when he enlisted in Company F, Sixteenth Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry, and did active service for about nine months, when he was honorably discharged on account of disabilities; has applied for pension. After the war he came to Illinois, and after spending four years in farming in Ford and McLean Counties, he came to Kansas in 1868, and located upon his present place of 160 acres, which he has improved from a raw prairie to its present condition, containing choice land, well fenced, watered and stocked, good buildings, and eighteen acres in orchard of a well assorted variety of fruits. In 1860, he married Miss Jemima Gifford of his native place. They have three sons and five daughters--Flora, teacher; Jennie, teacher; Ella, Horace, George, Minnie, Pearl and Bennie.  (William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL.)

MEYER, JOHN H.

JOHN H. MEYER, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. New Pittsburg, was born and reared in Hanover, Germany. In 1858, he came to America and followed farming in Missouri till 1868, when he came here and located upon his present place, which he has improved to its present condition. It contains 160 acres of valuable land, is well fenced and stocked, and has good buildings and an orchard of three acres of a well assorted variety of fruits. He married in 1870 Miss Dora Koopman, who was born and reared in Missouri. They have four sons--Henry, Willie, John and Louis. The family are members of the Lutheran Church. During the war he did active service in company C, Thirteenth Missouri Volunteer Cavalry, which afterward became the Fifth Missouri Cavalry, from 1861 to the end of the war; he was honorably discharged; he has worked actively in the development of the social life of this place, and has served upon the Board of Trustees of his church; besides his farm he has ten acres of timber land, which is well underlaid with coal.  (William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL.)

MINECEY, WILLIAM HENRY

WILLIAM HENRY MINECEY, farmer, P. O. New Pittsburg, was born in St. Louis, February 3, 1834, and learned the trade of shoemaker, but soon after traveled over the plains in a reputable connection; at the age of twenty-two he located in Lafayette County, Mo., in boot and shoe-making and merchandising, with which he was identified many years. In 1869, he came to Kansas and located upon present place, containing at present 224 acres, which he has improved to a handsome homestead containing good buildings and an orchard of about 500 trees of good variety. He married in 1859, Miss Mary Walters, who was born in Hanover, Germany, June 9, 1839, and was reared in Missouri. They have one son and four daughters--William, Emma, Martha, Mary and Laura. During the war he did active service in the Home Guards of Missouri, Fifth Regiment, afterward in the State militia as Second Lieutenant, and followed it into the United States service, in which he did active service until the end of the war. He was honorably discharged as Second Lieutenant of Company B, Seventh Missouri Volunteer. The family are members of the Lutheran Church. He is an active member of the A. O. U. W. society.  (William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL.)

O'REILLY, PATRICK ARTHUR

Patrick Arthur O'Reilly, prominent Girard druggist was born in Crawford County, Kansas, November 12, 1883, son of Frank and Margaret (Smith) O'Reilly. His Irish-Canadian ancestors came to America in 1870. On November 8, 1908, Mr. O'Reilly was married to Harriet Elizabeth Peak at Walnut, Kansas. She was born at Walnut, October 18, 1885, daughter of Thomas and Priscilla (Snell) Peak. There were six children, Harriet, Justis, George, Velma (deceased), Lucy and Robert (deceased). Residence: Crawford. . (Illustriana Kansas, Edited by Sara A. Mullin Baldwin, Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, page 884)

REES, O. A.

O. A. Rees is lessee of one of the large coal mines of Crawford County, Cherokee Coal and Mining Company No. 1, located at Cherokee and he is well known both as a business man and public-spirited citizen. He has been connected with the coal mining industry most of his active life, and has been singularly successful in this line of work. At the mine where he now has charge the monthly output runs from two to three thousand tons per month, of several grades, obtained from a fine three and a half foot vein. Between fifty and a hundred men are employed at good wages at the mine, and the entire operations are conducted in such a way as to reflect credit upon the manager. Mr. Rees is both a theoretical and practical miner, has studied and worked at the industry in all its details and is recognized as one of the most progressive and successful operators in Crawford county. He was located at Fleming in this county for three years, where he was superintendent of W. Coal Mine Company No. 3 and for some fourteen years was at the Osage mines.

Mr. Rees was born in Brooklyn, New York, forty-five years ago, being a son of John and Elizabeth (Mills) Rees. His father died in Kansas at the age of sixty-four. He was a merchant for many years. He was one of the most ardent supporters of the Republican party from the time of its organization until his death. He was at the convention which first established the party in national politics, when General Fremont was nominated for the presidency in 1856. Fraternally he was an Odd Fellow. His wife was a native of Liverpool, England of a good English family and she too is now deceased.

Mr. Rees ws reared in New York and Vermont and has supplemented his public school training by practical and close attention to affairs and has always been successful in his various undertakings. At the age of twenty-three he was married in Osage county, this state to Miss S. Jenkins, who was born in Pennsylvania, but was reared and educated in Kansas. By this union there are eight children, as follows: Anna, Stella, Fred, Thomas, William, Mattie, John and Irene. Mr. Rees affiliates with the Masonic order at Osage City, and in politics he is liberal in his beliefs. He assisted in making up the reports for this district of the United States government geological survey in 1904. He is popular with his employees and frank and cordial with all his associates. (A Twentieth Century History and Birographical Record of Crawford County, Kansas, by Home Authors, 1905, pages 249 - 250)

RINGO, WILLIAM L.

William L. Ringo, representing the business interests of Girard as a real estate agent - the junior member of the firm of radley & Ringo - was born in Carroll county, Kentucky, April 29, 18166 and is a son of Germany M. and Sarah (King) Ringo, both of whom are natives of the same state. The father was a farmer by occupation and after following that pursuit in Kentucky for a number of years he came to Kansas, establishing his home in Crawford county in the year 1882. Here he resumed agricultural pursuits in which he continued until his lefe's labors were ended by death, although owning to ill health in later years he had largely left the active work of the farm to others. He passed away August 23, 1901 at the age of seventy-one years. His widow who still survives is now living at Mulberry, Crawford county

William L. Ringo spent his boyhood days in his parents' home, and when a youth of sixteen accompanied them on their removal to Kansas. His education was acquired in the public schools of his native state, and he worked up on the home farm from eary boyhood assisting in the labors of the field as soon as old enough to handle the plow. Owing to his father's invalid condition he took charge of the home farm in Kansas when nineteen years of age and conducted it until his removal to Pittsburg. In the spring of 1901 he went to that city, where he entered the emplyo of the Taylor & Wheeler Loan Company continuing in that position for eight months. He next joined Mr. Radley in the real estate and insurance business, and the firm of Radley & Ringo at Girard has already secured a good clientage and made for itself an excellent reputation for honorable and progressive business methods.

On the 2d of June, 1892, occured the marriage of Mr. Ringo and Miss Emma S. White, a daughter of William S. and Elizabeth M. (Rouch) White, of Kentucky. This marriage has been blessed with one son, William L., now an interesting lad of ten years, Both Mr. and Mrs. Ringo hold membership in the Methodist Episcopal church and he exercises his right of franchise in support of the Democracy. He gives his aid and co-operation to many movements for the general good, and during his residence in Girard he has won the favorable regard of many with whom he has come in contact through both business and social relations. (A Twentieth Century History and Birographical Record of Crawford County, Kansas, by Home Authors, 1905, pages 263 - 264)

RODMAN, DEE

Dee Rodman is one of the successful newspaper men of Oklahoma, entered the profession through the ranks of a printer, and is now editor and publisher of the Fairview Enterprise at Fairview in Major County.

Mr. Rodman is a young man, and has spent most of his years in Oklahoma. He was born March 6, 1884, on a farm in Erath County, Texas, a son of John B. and Nancy Jane (Kimbro) Rodman, the former a native of Kentucky and the latter of Arkansas. John B. Rodman was born December 17, 1860, at Paducah, Kentucky, followed farming and stone masonry for his active career, and is still farming in Beaver County, Oklahoma. He was married in 1880 and his wife was born May 22, 1861, in Hope County, Arkansas, daughter of Thomas W. and Clementine Kimbro, both of whom are natives of Tennessee. John B. Rodman and wife have the following children: Arthur, born August 3, 1882; Dee; Ella, who was born December 19, 1886, and was married in 1902 to L. R. Houx, and they live in Colorado; Fred L. born February 14, 1888; John J., born June 21, 1891; Ila Belle born December 28, 1894; Daisy, born December 21, 1896; and Hugh B., born June 30, 1901.

The first sixteen years of his life Dee Rodman spent on his father's farms in Erath and Ellis counties, Texas. His parents then moved to Oklahoma, locating in Cheyenne, and there he continued his education in the public schools. Mr. Rodman also had the benefit of a two years' business course in the University of Oklahoma at Norman. In 1903 at the age of nineteen he entered the office of the Beacon at Cordell, Oklahoma, and learned by practical experience the printer's trade. In 1905 he came to Fairview and followed his trade as a journeyman printer until 1914. In that year he bought the plant of the Enterprise at Ames, Oklahoma, removed it to Fairview and has since published the Fairview Enterprise, one of the leading papers of Major County. Politically Mr. Rodman is a republican, and he and his wife are members of the Christian Church.

On March 12, 1910, at Fairview he married Miss Vie Morse. Mrs. Rodman was born at Girard, Kansas, November 20, 1891, a daughter of J. E. and Sadie (Nunally) Morse. To their marriage was born one child, Roberta Marian, born May 28, 1914. [Source: “A Standard History of Oklahoma” Volume V; by Joseph B. Thoburn; copyright 1916; Transcribed by Andaleen Whitney]

SCOTT, GRANVILLE SIMEON

Granville Simeon Scott, of Osage township, has been a resident of Crawford county since 1869, being one of the old-timers. A man of varied experience in life, having proved his usefulness and worth in all the departments of activity to which he has been called, and possessed of that strict integrity of character which lends force and influence to man in every age of life, he has not been otherwise than potent for good and the welfare of his community, and as such is esteemed by all his fellow citizens.

Mr. Scott is one of the honored veterans of the Civil war who have since taken up their residence in Crawford county and proved such a valuable addition to its sterling citizenship. He enlisted in Moniteau county, Missouri in November 1861 in Company I, Twenty-fourth Missouri Cavalry, going into camp at Jefferson City under officers Captain Rice and Colonel Hall. He saw hard and constant service in what was in many respects the most dangerous battle ground of the war, on the western side of the Mississippi; was again and again in conflict with the troops of Joe Shelby, Quantrell, Coffey, Anderson, and other of the noted rebel leaders, under whom the bloodthirstiest guerrillas and bushwhackers often served. He was at the fight at Turkey creek and in fact was all over the state of Missouri, experiencing many narrow escapes; was at Pisgah, and also had a severe skirmish in a tobacco field; and toward the end of the war went to New Mexico as a guard for a government train of supplies. Afer a long and wearing service he received his honorable discharge.

Mr. Scott was born in Monticello, Wayne County, Kentucky, February 25, 1830, being a son of William and Parnita (Goodrich) Scott, both natives of Kentucky. Both the paternal and maternal grandfather served in the Revolutionary war, and the latter lived to the great age of one hundred and five years. The father was killed in an accident while living in Missouri, at the age of fifty-five. His children were: Granville S., Sarah A., Collie B., Allen, William and James who was killed while a soldier in the Confederate Army. The mother attained the age of eighty-nine years. She was a member of the Baptist church.

Mr. Scott was reared in Cole County, Missouri in a backwoods country and period, receiving his educational advantages in an old-fashioned schoolhouse with slab seats, and fireplace. In 1852 he was married to Elizabeth Jane Curnutt who was born in Virginia being one of the three children left at her mother's death at thirty-five, the others being Andrew J., who was a soldier in the Fourth Missouri Cavalry, and Mary. Her father, who was a member of the Baptist Church and a good and worthy man died at the age of fifty-six. Mr. and Mrs. Scott came out to Crawford county as has been mentioned in 1869 and were among the first settlers at Girard. Later they moved to their present home where he owns a nice little farm of forty acres and has all the comforts and conveniences which his lifetime of effort so well deserves.

Their children are as follows: Andrew J., of Neosho county; John M.; Granville Sherman; Joseph, who died at the age of thirty-one, leaving four daughters, and James W., who died at the age of twenty-five. Mr. Scott and his wife are members of the Christian church and he is affiliated with the G. A. R. post. (A Twentieth Century History and Birographical Record of Crawford County, Kansas, by Home Authors, 1905, pages 254-256)

SHEFFIELD, JOSEPH D.

Joseph D. sheffield, a prominent citizen of Arcadia, is a native son of Crawford county and his family name has been a familiar one in this part of the country for over forty years. He belongs to the young and progressive element of citizenship and has already shown himself possessed of the spirit and energy of his worthy sire and grandsires and is giving a good account of himself in the varied relations of his busy years.

Mr. Sheffield was born in Lincoln township, Crawford county, August 17,1 877, a son of Alphes J., and Mary (Collins) Sheffield. His mother's parents, Daniel and Ellen Collins were natives of Ireland and the former came to America in young manhood and during the days of gold went out to Pike's Peak and mined. He returned to Lecompton, Kansas, and in 1862 enlisted in the Union army and gave three years and three months to the government, as a patriotic defender of his adopted land. He died in 1900 at the age of seventy-seven and his wife had passed away in 1869.

Mr. Sheffield's paternal grandparents were Joseph and Ellen Sheffield, who were born near Rochester, New York. In 1847 Joseph came out to DeKalb county, Illinois and was engaged in farming there until July, 1860, when he sold his place and came to Lincoln township Crawford county, where he bought one hundred and sixty acres of government land. His son, Alphes J. Sheffield, also took one hundred and sixty acres in Lincoln township and improved it and engaged in stock-raising. He loaned money to the poor settlers and when the Joy land troubles came up he decided that Joy was in the right, which brought a storm of abuse upon him from the settlers who even refused him his claim. At the first term of court ever held in Crawford county he had twenty-five cases and won every one of them. He was a prominent man in the various affairs of the county. In 1878 while the Old Fort Scott and Memphis road was being constructed through his farm, the horse he was riding ran in front of a construction train, and he was killed. His wife died in 1882.

Mr. Joseph d. Sheffield was deprived of his mother's care when five years old, and he then made his home with his grandfather Collins, who sent him to the parochial school at Scammon for three years and a half and after that he attended the high school at Arcadia an for two years was at Osage Mission. He lived with his grandfather Collins till the latter's death and in 1900 he moved to Arcadia. He has a fine farm a mile and a half north of town and operates this in a business like way that gains results. He was elected assessor of his township for a two years' term and still holds this office.

Mr. Sheffield is a Democrat in politics. He affiliates with Lodge No. 159 of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and also with the Knights of Columbus and his church membership is with the Catholic church at Arcadia. Mr. Sheffield married, February 3, 1897, Miss Mary Crites, a daughter of John Crites, whose interesting personal history is given on other pages of this work. Mr. and Mrs. Sheffield have one child, Joseph Daniel, Jr., born December 5, 1899. (A Twentieth Century History and Birographical Record of Crawford County, Kansas, by Home Authors, 1905, pages 265-266)

SHERMAN, MERRITT MASTERS

Merritt Masters Sherman, stockman, was born at Salem, New York, November 9, 1854, son of Josiah Rising and Lydia (Walker) Sherman. He attended Cornell University from 1873 until 1876.  On November 23, 1886, he was married to Lisett F. Jones of Utica, New York, who died January 16, 1917. Mr. Sherman has a 24,00 acre farm in central Kansas with 10,000 acres under the plow. Residence: Crawford. (Illustriana Kansas, Edited by Sara A. Mullin Baldwin, Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, page 1051)

SMITH, ELWOOD KNOWLES

Elwood Knowles Smith, owner and manager of the E. K. Smith Funeral Home, was born in Cherokee, Kansas, January 28, 1883, son of Cephas Russell and Sarah (Knowles) Smith.

Cephas Russell Smith, a farmer, was born in Illinois, moving to Kansas in 1869, where he first resided near Marysville. In 1871 he moved to Cherokee, and has resided in Kansas cine, with the exception of a period from 194 to 1919, when he resided in Nebraska near David City.

Sarah Knowles was born in Canada. She was a teacher in the Maplewood rural school, and was one of the first teachers in Cherokee County. Her father, Elwood Knowles, was a Civil war Solider, having served in the Minnesota Infantry. He was wounded in the Battle of Gettysburg, after about three years of service, and died in the hospital at St. Louis, Missouri, from the effects of the wounds. He was a member of the Masonic Lodge in Minnesota, and when wounded was wearing his Masonic pin, which was given to his wife after his death. It was later handed down to her daughter, who was an only child, and who still has possession of the pin. Sarah Knowles came to Kansas in aabout 1867, with her mother, Mary (Roberts) Knowles, who homesteaded in Cherokee County, and resided there until her death in July, 1893.

Mr. Smith received his early education in the rural schools of Cherokee County and after moving to Pittsburg, took a business course in the Pittsburg Business College. He resided on a farm in his early life, coming to Pittsburg in 1902, where he worked in the Kansas City Southern shops. On April 2, 1903, he was promoted to fireman and on Friday the 13th, 1907, he was promoted to engineer. He was an engineer for nine years, never having had a mishap of any consequence. He resigned to follow the profession of funeral directing.

On July 24, 1924, he was married to Juanita Henderson at Kansas City, Missouri Mrs. Smith was born at Fort Smith, Arkansas, July 28, 1892, daughter of Isaac A. and Minerva Anna (Beard) Henderson, of Mena, Arkansas. She was a teacher in the schools in eastern Oklahoma and southwestern Arkansas, did clerical work in the court house at Mena, Arkansas, and after coming to Pittsburg took a business course in the Pittsburg Business College in 1922. After 1922 she did stenographic work and bookkeeping for the Pittsburg Mortgage Investment Company and at the present time works in the office of the E. K. Smith Funeral Home. She is a member of the Methodist Church, the Order of the Eastern Star, the White Shrine, the Ladies Auxiliary of the Eagles, and Business and Professional Women's Club. She is also a representative of the Girls Scout Council.

Mr. Smith is a member of the Christian Church, the Young Men's Christian Association, the Red Cross, the Chamber of Commerce, and the American Funeral Directors Association. His fraternal organizations include the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, Elks, Moose, Eagles, Modern Woodmen of America, Odd Fellows, and Masons, (Council Chapter and Commandery, 32nd degree, Shrine, Eastern Star, and White Shrine.) Residence: Pittsburg. (Illustriana Kansas, by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, page 1077)

TREADWELL, JAMES U.

James U. Treadwell the well known jeweler and also serving as one of the city fathers of Pittsburg, has spent all the years of his majority in this city and has prospered with the advance of time. He is an excellent business man, with a reputation for honorable, fair dealing in all his relations with men, and his career has been according to his just merits and true personal worth.

Mr. Treadwell was born at Fort Browerton, Oneida county, New York in 1864, being a son of E. A. and Fidelia (Means) Treadwell. His father was born in Onondaga county, New York, and lived in that state for a number of years. In 1867 he brought his family to Hillsdale county, Michigan where he was engaged in farming for several years. While in that county his wife died, in 1868. In 1882 he and other members of the family came out to Crawford county, Kansas where he took up a farm in Baker township two and a half miles east of Pittsburg. He continued his farming operations there until recently, when he retired and moved to Pittsburg, which is now his home.

Mr. James U. Treadwell spent the years of his life preceding his coming to Crawford county on a farm and had a substanial public school education. Shortly after his arrival in this county he came to Pittsburg and went to work in the Lanyon smelter, which had just been started up. He remained at that work for two years, and then established his present business of jeweler and watchmaker. He has gained the confidence and the patronage of the citizens and his trade has been on the steady increase during all the twenty years since it was established. He has a nice store at 421 North Broadway, and his stock is one of the best in the city.

Mr. Treadwell is a stanch Republican in politics. He is deeply interested in the welfare and progress of his city and in April 1903 was elected to the city council as the representative of the third ward. He has given of his time and efforts in a public-spirited and generous manner to the administrative affairs of the city. Mr. Treadwell has fraternal affiliations with the Modern Woodmen of America.

Mr. Treadwell was married at Pittsburg, December 25, 1894 to Miss Rosie Brewer, and they have one daughter, Majil. (A Twentieth Century History and Birographical Record of Crawford County, Kansas, by Home Authors, 1905, pages 252-253)


Bio for Peter Menghini is found on the Frontenac mining pages

Back to Crawford County Home Page

Visit the National Genealogy Trails Site

Copyright 2014 Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.