Douglas County



Kansas City, Mo., Jan. 14---Jacob N. Zook, who has been engaged in the grocery business at Lawrence, Kan., for many years, was found dead here in a room at the Blossom House, having taken morphine with suicidal intent. He had failed to secure further time from Kansas City creditors, who were pressing for their money.
(Kalamazoo Gazette ~ January 15, 1899)


LAWRENCE, KAS., July 22---Ralph E. Bassett, for many years an instructor in romance languages at the University of Kansas, ended his life by drowning in the Ohio River at Cincinnati last night, according to a telegram received here today.
(Kansas City Star ~ July 23, 1919)


Rumors of Lynching Induce the Douglas County Officials to Send Him Here to Spend Sunday

Fred Hill, the murderer of Patrick H. Geelan, the Blue Springs postmaster, is spending Sunday in the city. After a trial lasting several days, in the District court at Lawrence, he was found guilty of manslaughter in the second degree two days ago. His sentence will not be pronounced, however, until tomorrow. The feeling against Hill in Douglas county is very strong, and yesterday a plot to lynch the prisoner was discovered. Fearing that such a proceeding would be carried out, Under Sheriff M. B. Pryor brought Hill to this city and placed him in the County jail for safe keeping.

Hill is said to be a fine violinist, and he was permitted to bring his instrument along. When he was placed behind the bars the fiddle was taken away from him by Jailer Foy, and the prisoner was greatly disappointed. He pleaded for permission to retain the violin, saying he would give the boys inside a sacred concert today, but his entreaties were in vain.

Hill's crime was committed March 14. The trouble arose over Geelan accusing Hill of being the author of a White Cap letter. Hill shot Geelan with a Winchester rifle.
(Kansas City Times ~ May 20, 1894)


Lawrence, Kansas, Man, Arrested on Suspicion of Causing Wife's Death

LAWRENCE, KAN., Oct. 8---J. J. Kunkle, a wealthy merchant, has been arrested, charged with having murdered his wife by poisoning. Mrs. Kunkle died ten days ago. About four weeks previous to the woman's death, Birdie Cominyore, her 14-year-old daughter by a former husband, died after a lingering illness which baffled the skill of the family physician. A few days before the death of Mrs. Kunkle, it is alleged, she told her neighbors that she was being slowly poisoned and also that her daughter had been poisoned.

An analysis of the woman's stomach showed strong signs of arsenic, and upon this showing and upon the testimony of neighbors of the Kunkles, the jury returned a verdict that Mrs. Kunkle came to her death by poison administered at the hands of her husband "and others to the jury unknown."
(Philadelphia Inquirer - October 9, 1898)


Another "Sure Remedy" for Diptheria Offered by a Kansas Professor

LAWRENCE, KAN., Oct. 31---Prof. L. I. Blake of the Kansas university has discovered a remedy and preventative for diphtheria, if the results of experiments already tried are to relied upon. A mixture of salt and water about two-thirds of the weight of the mixture being salt through which an electric current has been passed. This current produces chloride of oxygen and ozone in an active state. The mixture is used as a gargle. The treatment has been tried in a number of ways and has been found to instantly and completely kill microbes wherever found.
(Duluth News-Tribune ~ November 1, 1895)


LAWRENCE, Kans., Monday, October 17---Dean Perley F. Walker, 52 years old, of the School of Engineering and Architecture at the University of Kansas, shot and killed himself today.
(Seattle Daily Times ~ October 17, 1927)


Kansas Militia Will Reproduce the Old Fight Near Baldwin, Kas.

LAWRENCE, KAS., May 12---The Battle of Black Jack is to be re-enacted at Baldwin July 4 by Company H of the state militia. The merchants' association of Lawrence has appointed a committee to co-operate in planning a sixtieth anniversary celebration of the battle. Special trains will be run between the two places and a pageant, written by W. C. Markham of the Baldwin Ledger will be staged.

The battle of Black Jack was fought June 2, 1856, and is said to have been the first battle fought between the free state and pro-slavery forces in Kansas Territory. Capt. H. Clay Pate of Westport, a deputy United States marshal, with a posse of thirty or forty men, went down to Palmyra Township, Douglas County, after John Brown. Two of Brown's sons lived there and they were taken prisoners.

The next day Brown arrived, after having joined forces with a party of free state men under Samuel T. Shore and Brown started a search for Pate. He found the Pate posse concealed in a clump of black jack oaks and opened fire. Pate and twenty-eight of his men surrendered. Brown's men numbered twenty-eight. In a report of his trip later Pate wrote officially:

"I went to get old Brown, but old Brown got me."

Black Jack, a small community in the southeast part of Douglas County, bears the name in memory of the battle. It is about eleven miles from Baldwin.
(Kansas City Star ~ May 12, 1916)


LAWRENCE, KAS., July 10---Frank Sugrue, 23 years old, was drowned in the Kaw River here tonight. With a companion he went in swimming below the dam. Getting into deep water, he called for help. He sank as his companion was reaching out a long fishing pole which he might have grasped.

A boatman found the body with a draghook an hour later. Physicians worked for more than an hour with an oxygen machine, but failed to restore life.
(Kansas City Star ~ July 11, 1914)


University Students Take a Sunday Swim--Narrowly Escapes Death

Lawrence, Kan., May 17---While swimming in the Wakarusa yesterday afternoon Herbert Wing, a Kansas university student from Newton, came very near getting drowned.

He had been in the water about fifteen minutes when he became weak and called for help. Harold Smith, one of his companions, was near him, and went to his aid, but in the struggle Smith soon gave out, and Wing went to the bottom before others could reach him.

He was taken out as soon as possible and after hard work revived. He was able to be around again today, but both he and Smith had very close calls.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ May 18, 1897)



Engineer and Fireman Killed!

Many Excursionists Injured!

Condition of the Wounded!

The intelligence flashed over the wires last evening that the excursion party which left Leavenworth last Monday morning for a pleasure trip to the buffalo country, upon returning, met with a frightful disaster some miles east of Lawrence. The railroad depots and telegraph offices of the city were besieged by an eager throng of people anxious to learn any particulars which might be had regarding the terrible accident. From all reliable reports that can be gathered up to this hour, it appears that the train was composed of an engine, two passenger coaches and a private car. The train was running on fast time, expecting to reach Kansas City by 8:30, in time for breakfast.

The bridge over the Stranger, about seventeen miles east of Lawrence, had been thrown out of line by a recent flood, which fact was not made known to the conductor, and the train dashing along at high speed, struck the bridge and was precipitated through into the water beneath. The engine went fast; and the tender falling on the locomotive, crushed the Engineer and Fireman to death instantly. The baggage car was piled upon the wreck of the locomotive and tender. The passenger coach fortunately left the bridge to one side and did not fall among the debris of the wrecked engine and baggage car.

The Engineer, named Libby, is an old runner, and resided at Wyandott, at which place he leaves a wife and three children. We are unable to obtain the name of the fireman killed.

A telegram from Lawrence last night gives the following as a list of casualties among the excursionists: "Jos. Perkins, Oscar Townsend, Frank Ford, E. S. Flint, Lucian Hills, H. N. Johnson, James Barnett, Charles Hickox, and Jesse Roberts, of Cleveland, O.; J. D. Herkimer and J. C. Noyes, of St. Louis; Edward King, Indianapolis; Charles Craft, W. Mack, John Beach and Bayless W. Hanna, Terra Kaute; E. Noyes, Mattoon, Illinois. The conductor and brakeman Bernard, brothers, were seriously injured. All are being cared for here and are doing well. George Noble, Division Superintendent, and Col. A. Anderson, General Sup't. of the road, were on the train. Mr. Noble was badly but not dangerously hurt. Mr. Anderson was but little injured."

The wounded persons were taken back to Lawrence by an extra train sent for that purpose. Physicians were called, and every attention given calculated to alleviate the sufferers.


We are indebted to Conductor Spaid, of the Kansas Pacific Railroad, who arrived from the wreck this morning, for additional particulars regarding the disaster east of Lawrence. The accident did not occur at the Stranger, as first reported, but at a culvert on the bank of the Kaw River.

The wounded, or most of them are being cared for at the Eldridge House, Lawrence, and are doing well. J. D. Herkimer, Superintendent of the Indianpolis & St. Louis Railroad, is probably the most severely hurt of the excursionists, being injured in the arm, legs and head. Superintendent Noble, had his shoulder fractured and was cut severely in the head. Conductor Bernard, is injured internally. Superintendent Anderson's private servant, had a leg broken.

The train was composed of Superintendent Anderson's private car and two passenger coaches, drawn by engine No. 17; no baggage car being attached, as was fir reported. Conductor Spaid, thinks it justice to state that the train was not running at a higher rate of speed than fifteen miles an hour. If the speed had been greater, many of the persons on the train would have been killed outright.
(Leavenworth Bulletin ~ July 15, 1869)



Real and Adopted Mothers Have Waged Four-Year Legal War

CHICAGO, May 22---The fate of the famous incubator baby of the St. Louis World's fair will be decided in a few days by the United States court of appeal at Minneapolis

The decision will determine finally whether the baby .shall belong to its real mother or to the woman who adopted it. Four courts already have attempted to decide this question. An Illinois circuit court decided the child belonged to its real mother. The Illinois supreme court reversed this decision and gave the baby to its foster parent. A district court in Kansas decided the baby belonged to its adopted mother. The Kansas supreme court gave it to its real mother. At present under the egis of the Kansas superior court the real mother and child are now living at Sedan, Ks.

The incubator baby, now grown to a pretty girl of four years, was born in a St. Louis hospital, Feb. 15, 1904. While the mother, Mrs. Charlotte Thompson Bleakley, lay ill, the hospital matron stole the baby and sold it to the baby incubator company of the world's fair. A dead baby born in the hospital, it was alleged, to Edith Stanley, an actress, was substituted. Mrs. Bleakley was told her baby died. The baby in the incubator thrived and Mrs. James G. Barclay, a wealthy woman of Buffalo, decided to adopt it. Mrs. Bleakley signed a deed, waiving all claims to the incubator baby. She was convinced it was not her child.

But Mrs. Bleakley became suspicious finally. She went to the St. Louis hospital, where the matron admitted the incubator babe was the child born to Mrs. Bleakley. When she learned the real mother had come to claim her offspring, Mrs. Barclay fled, it is said, with the infant from St. Louis. They were halted at Rock Island with a warrant charging kidnapping. The Rock Island court restored the baby to Mrs. Bleakley, who took it to Lawrence, Ks.

After appealing the case in the Illinois court, Mrs. Barclay went to Lawrence and began action for the possession of the child. Judge Smart there decided the adoption was legal and gave the real mother six hours in which to surrender the baby. While a deputy sheriff waited in the Bleakley home, Mrs. Bleakley slipped out a back door with the child in her arms and escaped on a train. By means of the bogus arrest by a bogus officer, it is alleged she had herself conducted safely past the pursuit throughout Kansas and Missouri into Illinois, where the court had recognized the validity of her claim. For several months she and her child lived happily at Rock Island until the supreme court turned the child over to Mrs. Barclay.

Meanwhile an appeal had been taken in Kansas and the supreme court of that state had upheld the claims of the mother. Mrs. Bleakley fled in disguise back to Kansas where she now lives.

Mrs. Barclay has spent $50,000 in her fight for the baby. She calls the child Dorothy Edith Barclay. Its real mother, who is poor, has spent $5,000 in defending her claim. She knows the child as Marion Roberta Bleakley. Several famous Kansas lawyers have handled Mrs. Bleakley's case free of charge. About $5,000 has been contributed to help her by public subscription.
(Plain Dealer ~ May 23, 1908)


General Hugh Cameron, the Kansas Hermit, who lives in the woods near Lawrence, Kan., wants to go to war. He made a good record for himself in the late civil war. Hermit Cameron is 70 years of age, but is strong and hearty. He calls his place "Camp Ben Harrison." (Fair Play, June 3, 1898, page 2)


Lawrence, Kas., May 23 - While preparing to go on duty last night Police Officer Allen Moore was accidentally shot by his own revolver, which fell from the holster as he was dressing. A bullet passed through Moore's body and he died before morning. (Kansas City Star, May 22, 1901, page 9)


"GHOST WRITING" takes another turn. At the University of Kansas a high ranking senior who confessed that he wrote theses for some of his less industrious fellow students at so much per copy has been denied the coveted Phi Beta Kappa key which otherwise might have been his on the basis of his own attainments. His offense, though he declared in a magazine article that it was common in all the colleges, was regarded by the faculty as almost on a par with cheating during examinations.

The lazy student has found in the "ghost writer" a convenient means of enabling him to escape work. Assigned a certain amount of reading to do, with a written report to be submitted at the end of it, he has in many instances hired a substitute to do the reading and writing for him while he has that much more time for idleness. The Kansas "ghost writer" says he guaranteed a mark of "B" on any paper he furnished, or no pay. While he says his rates were low and he worked only in his spare time, he made about $200 during a school year, but "ghost writers" in some of the big eastern schools, he says, make as high as $6000 a year.

The practice is not altogether admirable, but the man who does the ghost writing appears in no worse light than he who does the hiring and thus cheats both his school and himself. And if it is an offense in the educational system, and such it is, have not the students had placed before them the widespread practice of ghost writing that prevails at Washington?

In that city of politics and politicians it flourishes from presidential circles down. There, numerous clever writers, able to coin catchy phrases and dress up dull subjects in captivating language, for the pay that is in it, write speeches, magazine articles and newspaper interviews for political superiors who calmly palm them off for their own. There is one difference, however. They are not paid by those who appreciate their talents but out of the public treasury. Perhaps that sanctifies their work.
(Reno Evening Gazette ~ May 31, 1938 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


For centuries, cemeteries have been considered, legally and morally, as specially protected. According to an Albany Law Review article, early Greeks "carefully guarded the private rights of individuals in their places of interment."

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Benjamin Cardozo, while serving as a judge on the New York Court of Appeals, once ruled that "the dead are to rest where they have been laid unless reason of substance is brought forward for disturbing their repose."

Historically, laws have been passed to protect burial plots, and Kansas state codes have at least four different articles relating to the formation, care and preservation of cemeteries.

But for private cemeteries, especially for those lacking visible signs of use as a cemetery, the law is less clear, according to the state attorney general's office. The Grover Cemetery in Lawrence is a case in point.

According to historical records, Joel Grover, one of Lawrence's founding fathers, and his wife, Emily, were buried in a family cemetery on a parcel that is now the southeast corner of 23rd Street and Lawrence Avenue.

A residential subdivision, Springwood Heights, is being developed on the site of what some local residents say was the Grover family cemetery. But because no visible signs of a cemetery exist today, and the plot was not recorded in the land's deed, the cemetery, if it exists, may not be protected legally.

Glenn Kappelman, president of Parkside Investors, the group developing Springwood Heights, said he was aware of the stories about the Grover cemetery, but he said there was no written or physical evidence of the burial plot.

"We just don't have any written or scientific evidence," Kappelman said. "It's all been hearsay. I wish we could get it resolved."

Pending some development, however, he said the lots on which the cemetery may be located will be sold as planned.

Kappelman, who is active in the historical society, said he regretted the uncertainty surrounding the Grover cemetery. He said he had tried, before development of the land began, to determine whether the cemetery existed but to no avail.

He said he often wondered about pioneers who were buried in unmarked grave, and he said he thought it was unfortunate that a part of history would be lost to future generations.

According to records compiled by the Douglas County Historical Society, Joel Grover came to Lawrence in 1854 and served as the city's first marshal. Grover settled his family on a large tract on what is now the southeast corner of 23rd Street and Lawrence Avenue.

Grover played an active role in early Lawrence history, the records show. He was a colonel in the Free State forces, was elected a state representative in the late 1860's, and served as county commissioner in 1870.

When Joel Grover died on July 28, 1879, the Lawrence Daily Journal said, "He was a man of decided opinions, and had no patience with men who were more easily swayed . . . according to Mr. Grover's wishes, he was buried upon the farm, a short distance south of the house."

Joel's wife, Emily, died on December 14, 1921. Her obituary states that "burial will take place at the home where she has lived for 66 years."

The Grovers' sons, Ernest and Jay, who never married, lived on the family homestead until their deaths in 1953, and they were buried in Oak Hill Cemetery.

The Grover brothers' survivors, who had moved to California, sold the family homestead, and the land passed to various owners.

One sales agreement, executed on Sept. 6, 1961, specifically mentions a cemetery on the property.

"It is expressly understood and agreed that a small burial ground exists on the southwest portion of said real estate," the sales agreement reads, and the legal description of the property shows that the cemetery may be in the Springwood Heights development.

Merle Ward, Rt. 1, lived on a farm just to the west of the Grover brothers for several years before and after their deaths. The Ward family knew the Grover brothers well, and they remember the Grover cemetery.

Recently, Ward returned to the old Grover place. On a knoll south of where the house once stood (it has been razed), stand several tall evergreen trees, and Ward identified the area, now lots 6 and 7 in Springwood Heights, as the site of the cemetery.

But Kappelman said he had heard stories that the remains had been removed from the Grover homestead. And Arvella Frazier, daughter of the late Bernard (Poco) Frazier, a nationally known sculptor who owned the land for 13 years, said she remembered some "holes" near the evergreen trees.

"When we moved in, there were big holes in the ground surrounded by tall evergreens," she said. "We speculated that it might have been a cemetery because they used to mark them with evergreens. We thought the graves might have been moved. But we sure didn't know. It was sort of a guess."

Although all of the property owners prior to the Fraziers remembered that a cemetery might have been on the property, and some remember the specific site, none can recall the removal of the remains.

A check of burial data at Oak Hill Cemetery, where the Grover brothers are buried, and at Memorial Park Cemetery shows no record of Joel and Emily Grover.

But even if the graves still remain on the old homestead site, the laws on preservation of cemeteries such as the Grover plot are cloudy, according to Michael Kracht, assistant attorney general.

Kracht said that although case law indicated that the mere burial of bodies in a given plot has constituted dedication of the plot as a cemetery, the Grover case "is a question of fact for a court to decide."

A state statute passed in 1979 requires cities or counties to prevent the use of a cemetery for "any purpose other than for burial," and Kracht said the law included those cemeteries where no physical evidence existed.

However, the law also states that cities must have "established, acquired or otherwise assumed control" of the cemetery. In addition, Kracht said, there must be proof, such as dedication in a property deed, that bodies are buried there.
(Lawrence Journal World ~ March 30, 1980 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


Untold stories lie buried among the bones at the old graveyards scattered through rural Douglas County.

The stories unfold slowly in the imagination of the visitor who walks among the marble and granite tombstones of the silent cemeteries.

Echoes of Kansas' past can be heard in the familiar names, the names of people living today where their ancestors stopped on their way West in the last century.

The Stull Cemetery nine miles west of Lawrence is the final resting place for Isaac, Aaron and numerous other Stulls. Clusters of graves belong to the forebears of the Wulfkuhles, the Walters, the Bahnmalers and other living Kanwaka Township families.

Were the pioneer families as devout in life as they were in death? The most common epitaph is religious: "Blessed are they who die in the Lord" reads the grave marker of Meredith S. Hendricks, 1857-1902.

How brutal was life on the edge of America's civilization? Children's tombstones usually are small and simple, stating only the name of the child and the years of birth and death. But the marker above the grave of two-year-old Juanita May, 1915-1917, is a notable exception. The small white stone, carved in the shape of a heart, bears the inscription "Our Darling."

How was death greeted? The stone bearing the name of Addie Richardson, 1875-1907, says she has "Gone from a home of love to her heavenly home above."

A poem is inscribed on the tombstone of Rose Anna Scheer, 1846-1895:

"Peaceful be your silent slumber
Peaceful be your grave so low
You no more will join our number
You no more our sorrows know."

Sometimes the natural deterioration that comes with age has a way of twisting tombstone messages.

On the curve-topped tombstone of Louisa Scouten, who was buried in 1866 in the Mound View Cemetery just west of Clinton Lake, a hand with an extended index finger pointing heavenward was sculpted at the top of the grave marker with the words "There is rest" carved in the white stone. But the tombstone has toppled, and the hand now points due east, toward Lawrence.
(Lawrence Journal World ~ March 30, 1980 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


While the dead in Douglas County rest in peace, the living continue to care for their graves, even in rural areas where the gravesites may be tiny and remote.

According to county records, more than three dozen cemeteries, several more than 100 years old, are dotted across rural Douglas County.

Who keeps the old graveyards from becoming choked with brush? Who keeps the roads leading to them cleared? Who pays for it? How do the little cemeteries endure?

Most of the rural cemeteries are small --- the largest is just smaller than 8 acres --- and many are filled with graves of the forebears of families living nearby.

The Stull Cemetery, for example, contains clusters of graves of the ancestors of the Stulls, the Wulfkuhles, the Walters and the Bahnmalers; descendants of all live in the area.

In some cases, the families of those buried in a cemetery take the chief responsibility for its maintenance.

"My great-grandfather, my grandfather and my father are all buried in the Vinland Cemetery," Woodrow Sturdy, president and sexton of the Vinland Cemetery Assn., said. "That's one reason I took on the job. To make sure it was maintained in good shape."

Or as George Deay, president of the Deay Cemetery Assn., said, "A man wouldn't want to bury his relatives or relatives he didn't know in a hog lot."

Records in the Douglas County tax appraiser's office show 37 rural cemeteries in the county.

Albert Gilpin, the auditor in the Kansas Secretary of State's office responsible for overseeing maintenance budgets of cemetery corporations, said most rural cemeteries in Kansas, and in Douglas County, fall into four categories:

--- Registered cemetery corporations that sell plots to the public, whether to make money or on a non-profit basis.

--- Cemeteries run by cemetery districts. These cemeteries tend to contain fewer than 10 acres and have very few burials a year. They receive a portion of the county's annual tax levy to pay for maintenance and improvements, but not more than 1 mill (a mill is $1 of tax for each $1,000 of assessed property value) can be levied for any one cemetery district.

--- Church and other religious cemeteries maintained by churches with plots available only to church members and their immediately families.

--- Private cemeteries maintained by volunteers. These are common in rural areas.

Maintenance standards for cemeteries in Kansas include mowed grass, sturdy fences and adequate entrances, Gilpin said.

Michael Kracht, state assistant attorney general, said that cemeteries that are not maintained properly may be designated as abandoned, and poorly administered cemeteries may be turned over to a trustee for liquidation.

Kracht is reviewing the Williams Cemetery, a one-acre graveyard in the Colyer cemetery district in southwestern Douglas County that is landlocked, which violates the standard for adequate access.

Ben Brohammer, secretary of the Colyer cemetery district, said, "The people living where the access is are not free enough to let anybody in that wants to." He said district officials are attempting to find a solution to the access problem."

Douglas County has seven cemetery districts, all based in the western half of the county, Darlene Hill, county budget director, said. Only residents living in the districts pay cemetery taxes, which ranged from .33 to .95 of a mill this past year (meaning the cemetery tax on a home with an assessed value of $10,00 ranged from $3.30 to 9.50 last year).

Budgets for the districts this year varied from $475 in the Twin Mound district to $3,700 in the Colyer district, Mrs. Hill said.

For many cemeteries not in districts, money for maintenance usually comes from donations from nearby residents or relatives of the people buried there. In some cases, people donate time to maintain the graveyards.

The Deay Cemetery, five miles southeast of Eudora, relies on volunteer labor and donations for maintenance, George Deay said.

The cemetery began in 1859 when his grandmother was buried there, he said. His grandfather and uncles took care of the half-acre graveyard before him, Deay said, and when they died, he took over the job.

"It's something that needs to be done, that's all," he said.

Some of the upkeep on individuals plots is done by relatives, he said.

"A lot of times, say, a man dies, and his wife, she'll come and rake the round and seed it down," Deay said.

Sturdy, who maintains the Stony Point and Vinland cemeteries, said volunteers did much of the upkeep of the two Palmyra Tonwship graveyards until a few years ago. Mowing and other jobs were handled partly by supporters who would join one day a year for a "cemetery day." But that stopped when "we got to the place where we have enough money to maintain them," he said.

Sturdy estimated maintenance costs about $400 a year for the Stony Point Cemetery and $600 a year for the Vinland Cemetery, both about three acres. A maintenance fund pays the bills, he said.

Most maintenance money goes to paying to have the grass mowed, cemetery officials unanimously agree.
(Lawrence Journal ~ March 30, 1980 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


Drugs and guns were involved in most suicides by Kansas high school students during the 1985-86 school year, according to a study by a Kansas University graduate student.

Of the 40 suicides documented during the study period, drug overdose figured in 18 cases and guns were involved in 13. Twenty-three of the victims were male.

"To our knowledge, this is the most comprehensive suicide research in Kansas. It provides a model that other states could use," said Richard Nelson, associate professor of counseling psychology.

The study was conducted by Laura Aylward of LaGrange, Ill., a graduate student in counseling psychology at KU. She mailed questionnaires to all 543 high school counselors in Kansas last November, and two-thirds of the counselor's responded.

The report said 984 teens considered suicide during the 1985-86 school year and 317 teenagers attempted suicide.

Nelson cautioned, however, that the number could be high because counselors "may not be aware of all the attempts or of students who are thinking about it." Studies have shown that only 30 percent of students will talk to counselors about suicide, he said.

Counselors questioned in the survey said family trouble was the greatest contributor to suicides and suicide attempts.

Nelson, who has consulted with many schools on suicide prevention, aid relatively few have guidelines for teachers in dealing with suicidal students. Adults are afraid to talk to teenagers about suicide, he said, because "the myth is you are going to plant the idea in somebody's head."
(Lawrence Journal World ~ June 5, 1987 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


Sad Fate Of A Kansas Bride Who Followed Her Officer Husband To Manila

SAN FRANCISCO, CAL., May 16---Capt. F. E. Buchan's return from the Philippines on the United States transport Valencia was a sad one. He brings with him the body of his wife, who succumbed to the climate in the Philippines. Mrs. Buchan had been a bride but a few months.

When the Kansas Regiment left home to fight in the Philippines, there was an understanding between Captain Buchan and his sweetheart, Miss Lucinda M. Smith, of Lawrence, Kan. Separation was more than the two could stand, so they determined to join their lot in the fortunes of war. They were married and the young bride followed her soldier-husband to San Francisco.

The officers were not permitted to take their wives on the transports and separation seemed inevitable.

But the Kansas girl, with the wife of another officer, became a stowaway on the Indiana, and although the government tried to prevent it, she journeyed as far as Honolulu before she was parted from her husband.

Although compelled to leave the transport, she followed Captain Buchan within a few days on the regular steamer and shared his lot up to the time of her death. Her body will be taken to Kansas for burial.
(Maryland Sun ~ May 17, 1899 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)
NOTE: Lucinda is buried in Oak Hill Cemetery, Lawrence, Kansas. ~~ Lori DeWinkler


Animal Which Bit Noted Naturalist is Now a Pet In Kansas Household

Dr. Frank Snow, the celebrated entomologist who was here several weeks ago, still keeps the Gila monster which bit him, as a pet. The St. Louis Republic says of the reptile:

"There is nothing that Dr. Frank Snow brought back from his recent collecting expedition to Tucson and surrounding country, which he prizes more highly than the Gila monster which he captured shortly before his return to Lawrence, Kas., which gained him considerable notoriety by biting him on the thumb. The last five weeks, since the return of the expedition, the monster has spent in a cage in Doctor Snow's back yard, and seems to like its new Kansas home fully as well as its former habitat in the southern hills of Arizona. It has not been sick a single day of its captivity, and it takes its meals of raw eggs every three day as regular as clockwork.

"Gila, as Dr. Snow calls the creature for short, is a large lizard, being a little more than a foot long, and has a head nearly two inches wide. Its mouth is amazingly large, and is entirely out of proportion to the rest of its body. The body is yellow and dark brown, and at a short distance looks like Indian bead work.

"Hour after hour Gila will lie in its cage without moving, and appears as if it were dead, but stir it up with a stick or let it get angry and it will crawl around at a wonderfully fast pace. It is gentle and will never bite unless it is tormented or angry. Let it get angry and it will seize the end of a stick or anything thrust at it and hold on for dear life.

"To watch it eat is an interesting sight. In nature the Gila monster lives on bugs and insects, but thus far in captivity it appears to be thriving on raw eggs. After a little experimenting, Dr. Snow has found that every three days is the right time to feed the creature. When the time for feeding arrives, he grabs the lizard and lays it on a table or flat box. He then cracks an egg in a saucer and thrusts the creature's nose down in it, and the Gila does the rest. It stretches out its long tongue into the saucer and greedily laps up raw egg until it has a mouthful. Then it slowly raises its head to a vertical position and lets the egg run down its throat. After it has once started feeding, Gila needs no urging, but laps away greedily until its hunger is satisfied. The last time Doctor Snow fed the animal it finished two raw eggs.

"It would hardly be correct to call Gila a family pet, for all the members of Dr. Snow's family are afraid of it except Doctor Snow. As far as he is concerned, he handles it about fearlessly in spite of the fact that it has bitten him once. He took it in the house the other day, and being called out of the room, placed it in a waste paper basket for safe keeping, putting a soft pillow on top of the basket to keep it from escaping.

"Before Dr. Snow returned Gila had decided to explore a little, and crawling up the side of the basket, pushed off the sofa pillow and made its escape. Nothing more was seen of it for several hours when the family, not wanting a live Gila monster roaming about the house any longer, began a determined search for it, finally finding it snugly hid behind some book in the bookcase.

"The question of whether the Gila monster's bite is very serious or not is a much disputed one, but Dr. now believes it is not. 'The effects of a Gila monster bite have been much exaggerated,' he said, in discussing Gila monsters, and his own pet in particular. 'Of course, I have not had so much experience with them, but so far as I could judge I should not call it very dangerous. The one I have in my backyard planted six teeth securely in my thumb, and I suffered no ill effects from it other than from the mere pain of the bite. The prompt application of an antidote which I had on hand, however, may have had something to do with my escape from sickness. A ranchman near where I was bitten seemed much concerned over the accident, and told of several instances of people having to spend weeks in a hospital as a result of a Gila monster bite.' "
(Tucson Daily Citizen ~ September 19, 1906 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


LAWRENCE, Kas., Dec. 5 --- A homemade rocket exploded this morning at a plant which manufactures missile fuel, killing three young engineers who helped build the device.

Four others were injured by the blast at the Callery Chemical Co. plant two miles northwest of here. Two of them, both engineers who worked on the rocket, were critically hurt.

Dead are Charles Sattes, 31; William Reynolds, 29; and Frank Wengrzyn, 24, all former Pennsylvanians who lived at Lawrence.

Injured were Richard Wright, 26; Elmer Boyd, 38, both engineers and two maintenance men, B. J. Leavitt and J. Longstreth, all of Lawrence. Leavitt and Longstreth were treated at a Lawrence hospital and released.

R. G. Schmidt, manager of the plant where Boron, a propellent for intercontinental ballistics missiles is made, said the rocket exploded in a waste disposal area. It caused no damage.


Schmidt said the engineers were experimenting with the rocket when it exploded about 1:45. He didn't know the nature of the experiment. The two maintenance men apparently weren't involved.

Schmidt said the engineers became intrigued some time ago with the idea of building a rocket. He emphasized that the project was their own and had no connection with company work.

Plant officials said Longstreth was from Baldwin, Kas., and Leavitt from Tonganoxie.


"This is a grim lesson for making of home-made rockets when five graduate chemical engineers have one blow up on them," Schmidt said. "They should have known they were playing with fire. After all, they were engineers."

Schmidt said the five had been permitted to pass through security gates without question because the nature of their work sometimes required 24-hour duty.

"This sort of activity is against all company regulations," he said.

The rocket assembly apparently consisted of a one-inch section of copper tubing about two feet long. The fuel used was believed to have been a mixture of waste chemicals and silver nitrate, an oxidizing agent. (Salina Journal ~ December 5, 1958 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


Lawrence has a population of over 400—When the census was taken last fall by an order of the Governor, it was 375; of which 270 were males and 105 females. Of the population 334 were natives of the United States, and 41 in foreign lands. There were 83 farmers; 47 mechanics; 7 clergyman; 7 lawyers; 8 doctors; 4 editors; 7 merchants; 10 printers, &c. The largest number was from Massachusetts 99; New York 59; Pennsylvania 38; Ohio 25, and Missouri 16. (Source: The Kalida Sentinel Mar 17, 1855 submitted by Linda Dietz)


Kansas Attorney Dies and Life Insurance for $500,000 is Found

Lawrence, Kan., June 4---Whether Lucius H. Perkins, secretary of the state board of bar examiners and former president of the Kansas Bar association, who is dead here from the effects of a fall from the roof of his house, committed suicide or met an accidental death still remains a mystery. Relatives of Perkins declare that there was nothing unusual in his going to the roof and that he undoubtedly was intent on investigating a leak. Mr. Perkins was insured in some of the big life companies for something over $500,000 some of which he had secured only recently. Insurance agents here decline to discuss the case, which has been reported to the general offices of the companies concerned, but they are collecting evidence and say that adjusters will be here soon to go deep into the matter. It develops that no member of his family knew that Perkins carried so much insurance on his life.
(Aberdeen Daily News ~ June 4, 1907 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


A Kansas Farmer Killed Without Warning---Suicide Vainly Attempted

Lawrence, Kan., Dec. 19---Law evening about 6 o'clock August Beurmann, who lives first miles west of here, was standing at the window of his home watching a Santa Fe train pass, when his wife, without warning, shot him in the back with a revolver, the ball passing through his heart. She then turned the pistol on herself and succeeded in inflicting a wound in the breast which will not prove fatal.

Mrs. Beurmann gives as her reason for committing the crime that she did not love her husband and never had and that she wanted a divorce. She says she is not sorry that she killed him, but regrets that she did not succeed in killing herself.

Beurmann was a prosperous farmer and was generally thought well of, though he is said to have been rather domineering.
(Emporia Gazette ~ December 19, 1896 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)(Jackson Citizen ~ September 21, 1871 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


Baker University is certainly "up and coming." It has been a long time in striking the track, but it is "going some" now. You must gife up the notion that "Baldwin" is "way out in the woods," and that nothing ever happens there but Methodist class meetings and Sunday schools. Baldwin City? Where in the name of mystery is Baldwin City? You will not hear that any more. You are going to find out---and in short order---a lot more about that town than that it is located on a jerkwater branch between Lawrence and Ottawa.

You can't keep things from happening in this world that are going to happen. Remember that. You may think you have a town loaded down with moss or buried under slippery elm, or choked up with hayseed, and all at once it kicks up its heels and makes itself heard and seen. All of you, or, as they say in Kentucky---"you all"---have seen towns lie as dormant as a bullsnake in January, until the moment comes for them to vault into the limelight at the touch of destiny.

Don't ever poke any more fun at Baldwin City. Don't get gay when you speak of "Baker." Everything about the town and the university has been "charged up" by those four Baldwin students who "egged" the referee of the basket ball game between the "Baker" team and the Ottawa team, as he was boarding a car for home on the jerkwater a few nights ago.

Let Emporia, Lawrence and Topeka, with their vaunted institutions of learning, lower their proud gonfalons to Baldwin City. It has arrived.
(Kansas City Star ~ Tuesday ~ March 4, 1905)

A great and good time began at Baldwin City, Douglas county, Kas., yesterday in the celebration of the 40th anniversary of the establishment of Baker university. The Methodist preachers of two Kansas conferences, with their families, to the number of 1,000, were present, and among them was the Rev. Dr. Joseph Denison, the sole survivor of the first Kansas conference, organized forty-three years ago. In the really old states forty and fifty years is not considered as reaching into remote antiquity, but in Kansas a half century is the period of historic time. Before that is the waste wilderness, myth, legend and savage tradition. The history of Baker university was recalled at the celebration as covering all the Kansas periods, the territorial period, that of the drouth of '60, the admission into the Union, the civil war, the glorious youth of the state, and the now present era of early middle age and settled prosperity. Everybody at Baldwin and Baker was impressed by the remoteness of the beginnings. The first home of the university was reverently visited as "the old castle." The general story told was of difficulty, vecissitude, progress and final success---"Ad Astra per Aspera" over again. A start with short grass and high winds, and a finish with the wilderness blossoming as the rose. The roll call showed 250 graduates of the Baker university, and a greater number still helped to various stations along the road of culture and learning, and then as everywhere and always in Kansas, the prospect, the everlasting hope, the star of empire up and shining in the sky.
(Kansas City Star ~ Friday ~ March 11, 1898)

The collapse of the Barbers' trust in Baldwin City, through fear of the law which inhibits combinations in restraint of trade, does not, by any means, eliminate the factor of equity, which caused the Baldwin barbers to band themselves together for the exaction of an extra charge for "neck shaves." Under the local conditions in Baldwin there is still much right on the side of the barbers. It is to be borne in mind that the prevailing style in Baldwin, popularized by the students of Baker university, is the "round" hair cut and the "round" neck shave. It is stated on authority that appears to be trustworthy that not more than three men in the whole town of Baldwin have their necks shaved "down the sides." The difference between this mere finishing touch, and the time---not to speak of material---required to go over the entire back neck ought to be patent in the most casual economist. The student body of Baldwin, with its sturdy, smooth young necks, is a cheering and hopeful spectacle to contemplate, but let us not forget the sacrifices which this public blessing entails upon the barbers.
(Kansas City Star ~ Thursday ~ September 19, 1907)



Baldwin City, Kan.---A fire apparently caused by careless smoking flashed through the Kappa Sigma fraternity house at Baker University early Sunday, killing five members of the organization---including the student who called the fire department.

Other fraternity members leaped to safety from the top two floors of the 59-year-old building.

One of the victims was Stuart McCoy, who used the telephone in his room to call the volunteer fire department just after 3 a.m. telling Chief Arch Carlson, "We've got a fire and we're burning."

McCoy was found by his telephone. Three others were huddled in a closet in another room, and a fifth victim was found on the second floor where he apparently had fallen through.

Officials said the fire started in a divan in a first-floor television room and raced up a recently painted stairwell in the pillared, three-story brick building.

Fraternity members had just finished remodeling and cleaning up the building for an open house scheduled later in the day. The celebration was to kick off the fraternity's rush week.

The five who were killed were trapped on the top floor of the building, which had no fire escapes.

The other victims, besides McCoy, were identified tentatively as Steve Hoge, the house president from Shawnee Mission, Kan.; Dave Sloop, fraternity secretary from Independence, Mo.; Mark Morris, an alumnus from Overland Park, Kan.; and ted Bailey of Chicago.

Four others jumped from the second floor. William Murphy, 22, of Overland Park, Kan., suffered a broken ankle and foot when he jumped from the third floor.

About 30 members and alumni were staying at the house helping with the prerush cleanup.

Deputy State Fire Marshal Pat Sause said the fire smoldered for several hours in the divan, building up heat so that once the flames broke out, the fire shot quickly to the top of the building.

"It was either a cigarette or careless disposition of a match," Sause said.

Fire Chief Carlson said, "I'm sure if they would have had smoke detectors in the house, no lives would have been lost."

The fraternity house was on a brick-paved, tree-lined street six blocks south of the Baker campus, a Methodist-affiliated private college 40 miles southwest of Kansas City.

Many of the 850 students arrived Sunday for enrollment Tuesday and the start of classes Thursday. A college spokesman said school opening plans would not be changed. A memorial service was scheduled for this afternoon.

Members of other fraternities, students and local merchants pitched in to provide housing for the Kappa Sigma members and to salvage whatever they could from the house, left with only its outside walls standing.

Del Jurney, who escaped, said members recently painted the steps and walls which led from the first floor to the third floor.

"It went along right where we painted," Jurney said.

The main part of the house was built in 1917 and a two-story addition in the back was completed in 1969. The first started in the old part.
(Augusta, GA, Chronicle ~ Monday ~ August 30, 1976)

The arrest of three dozen college students at Baldwin City, Kas., for giving their college yell on the main streets of the town, is certainly a bold step on the part of the civilian officers of that quiet hamlet. Heretofore it has been accepted as a precept of common law, that citizens in a college town have no rights which students living therein are bound to respect. If the young men are convicted, a precedent will be established which will be gratefully received into full standing at Heidelberg, Cambridge, Eton, Ithaca, Bonn and Lecompton.
(Kansas City Star ~ Saturday ~ November 12, 1892)


Baldwin City, Kans. --- Resignation of a Baker University professor whose academic credentials could not be substantiated touched off shock waves Thursday among students and faculty of the 932-student Methodist-related college.

Dr. William C. Young, who claimed to have doctornal degrees from Edinburgh University and Birmingham University, said he "just can't explain it until I go overseas and check it out."

Dr. James E. Doty, president of Baker, said he had received letters from both institutions and "both claim he did not obtain the degrees."

However, it was established that Dr. Young actually holds a bachelor of arts degree from Hanover College in Indiana, a bachelor of divinity degree from Princeton Theological Seminary, and a master of arts degree from Columbia University.

"With that sort of background, he could easily have obtained a teaching job in many universities. I don't understand it at all," Dr. Doty said.

Dr. Young said: "A mistake has been made." He called the incident "terribly unfortunate for the school, for me, and for many others." He said some foreign universities are "notorious" for their lax in record-keeping.

The uncertainty regarding Dr. Young's academic achievements arose during a routine check of credentials in connection with a possible promotion, Dr. Doty said.

"We were considering him for an administrative position."
(Omaha World Herald ~ Friday ~ May 24, 1968)

When Joseph Myler of Iola, Kas., was initiated into Theta Nu Epsilon fraternity at Baker University, Baldwin City, Kas., he was made secretary and told he would have to issue a spicy handbill or bulletin once a month. He followed instructions and is now under arrest for criminal libel. Handbills alleging unseemly conduct on the part of other students were distributed all over town, and the university hired a detective agency to fidn out who wrote them.
(State Times Advocate ~ Saturday ~ February 27, 1926)


Baldwin City, Kan. --- A box of books designated for discard 40 years ago but never disposed of has yielded three rare volumes, officials of Baker University reported Wednesday.

Fred McGraw of Kansas City, a Bible collector who has aided Baker in the cataloging of its famed Bishop Quayle Bible collection, discovered two rare Bibles and an unusual song book among the volumes which had been left in a university storeroom for four decades.

One was an original copy of the Somerset Bible, published in Somerset, Pa., in 1813 and described as the first Bible printed west of the Allegheny Mountains. McGrew said it was printed on a press carried to Pennsylvania piece by piece on horseback.

An original copy of a Bible published by Noah Webster in 1833 also was in the box. Webster's work, which attempted to eliminate obsolete language, had only one printing.

The song bok was published in London's Aldersgate Street, often called the birthplace of methodism. McGraw said the 18th century hymnals published there are extremely rare.

He declined to estimate the monetary value of the three volumes.
(Advocate ~ Thursday ~ December 23, 1965)



Baldwin City, Kan. --- A new kind of mascot is the rage among residents of Stone Hall on the Baker University campus.

The boys capture, and "domesticate" wasps which flourish in the doorway of the dormitory, the oldest residence hall on campus.

Freshman Robert Jones said the wasps make excellent pets. "Every boy should have one," he said.

Jones said capturing a wasp is no problem.

"You grab him with a piece of tissue paper and then pull out all his stingers. You then tie a noose in a piece of thread and attach it to the back of the wasps neck. This is all there is to then have your own personal wasp."

The wasp owners said they had not yet completed longevity tables on their pets.

Jones, who named his own wasp "Elmo" said there are "three wasps to every two boys" in the dormitory.
(Morning Star ~ Rockford, IL ~ Sunday ~ March 20, 1966)



Margaret Ann Guest, only 3 years and 9 months old, successfully completed the music course at Baker university at Baldwin City, Kansas. She is believed to be the youngest to get a university musical diploma. Her parents are Mr. and Mrs. H. W. Guest, of Baldwin City.
(Lawrence Daily Journal World ~ June 6, 1930 ~ Page 3)


From one of our citizens who came from Baldwin City yesterday morning, we learn the following facts of a most singular and lamentable affair which occurred just before he left the place. A farmer by the name of Snively, living a mile or two south of Baldwin City, had got a very unruly, savage pic, which had got out of his pen. Mr. Snively went to drive the animal back again, when it flew at him with the greatest madness, fought him till it threw him to the ground, and continued to cut him with his tusks until the man was too weak to resist. As soon as help could be obtained he was taken to the house and cared for. A doctor was summoned, and the different wounds dressed. When our intermant left town to return home, the doctor thought that the loss of blood had been so great, and the wounds so deep and numerous, that he could live but a short time. It was expected he would die in a few hours. Lawrence Journal, April 27th.
(San Francisco Bulletin ~ Wednesday ~ May 10, 1871)


At about ten o'clock on Saturday night, says the Lawrence Tribune, as a party of six persons were leaving the camp meeting grounds near Baldwin City in a two horse wagon, the neck yoke slipped from the tongue in going down a steep hill, causing the horses to become unmanageable, and, in running away, upset the wagon, throwing the party out. One young man, named Philip Gilly, a resident of Baldwin City, was so severely injured that he died in a short time after. Four other members of the party were more or less injured.
(Leavenworth Bulletin ~ Wednesday ~ September 9, 1868)


The traffic light in Baldwin City, Kan., when there was one, was at the intersection of the two main thoroughfares, Eighth and High streets, which are paved with bricks. The ruts of what once was America's thoroughfare, the Santa Fe Trail, are still visible in the tall grass outside of town.

But not everyone moving west on the trail moved on. Everyone was looking for a good place to stop, and some knew a good thing when they saw it. Tickle this prairie and up comes grain, so eastern Kansas acquired Kansans. And here, as almost everywhere else in America, settling down meant quickly setting up a college.

Hence Baker University. It was a product of the 19th century's profligacy in the planting of institutions of higher education. Communities, understandling all too well that their tenuous existence was the result of Americans' restlessness, saw in new colleges a source of rootedness for their settlements that sometimes seemed too shallowly planted to stand up against the wind whipping across the flat land.

Historian Daniel Boorstin writes that local boosters used many arguments for founding a college, from anticipated increases in property values to declines in drunkenness due to the moralizing influence of higher education. Little did they know.

In 1880, when England (population: 23 million) had four degree-granting institutions, Ohio (population: 3 million) had 37. As early as 1870 at least 11 colleges had been founded in Kentucky, 21 in Illinois, 13 in Iowa. But mortality rates were high. In southwestern and western states, 80 percent of the new colleges died. As early as 1860, 700 had died, nationally.

The Methodists founded Baker University in Baldwin City in 1858. Seven years later Baptists founded Ottawa University 17 miles down the road -- not that there was then much of a road. The next year the University of Kansas opened its doors in Lawrence, 15 miles north of here.

Actually, Baldwin City was founded to sustain the University, not the other way around. The Methodists, a stern bunch, at least back then, included in the deed for the original land grant a restriction "to prohibit forever said lots or any part of them from being used as a place of making our vending Intoxicating Liquors." That is not enforced, but it would probably not be best to flaunt that fact.

President Daniel M. Lambert notes that such was the 19th century's hunger for higher education, families sold their homesteads and businesses and moved to Baldwin City, the only Kansas town "literally and legally
built around a university." In the first decate of this century, for example, the Ault family sent seven children to Baker. One, Warren, became Baker's first of four Rhodes Scholars.

At a convocation President Lambert reported with dry wit on college doings:

"A grand new arbor has been raised on the traditional site of so many marriage proposals. It has been enlarged considerably in hopes that our undergraduates will take the hint. There always is a price for progress so we had to say farewell to the old Taft Bridge, built to accommodate our nation's rather corpulent chief executive who came to visit in 1911, but now, with him, gone on to its reward. We think that we have finally managed to harness the little creek which has threatened the terrace levels of our buildings for so long. It will now meander, under the new Taft Bridge and into the pond installed at the urging of our university minister. The pond, with the newly installed irrigation system, he assures me, will bring us into full conformity with United Methodist discipline, offering converts the option of either sprinkling or full immersion."
(Aberdeen Daily News ~ Tuesday ~ January 12, 1999)

George Miller, who has had charge of the Kansas asylum for the blind for the past twelve years retired from that institution today, and is succeeded by the Rev. Allen Buckner of Baldwin City. The only reason for his displacement was that he hd had the position long enough, and the change was made in pursuance of the Kansas idea that there should be rotation in office, and that the places should be passed around. Mr. Miller leaves an admirable record behind him as superintendent of the asylum, and has accomplished a grand work in the instruction of the unfortunate wards of the state who are deprived of their sight. He has exercised a father's care over them and has been unremitting in the bestowal of the attention which they always demand. He has not only employed successfully the most approved means for their mental development, but what is of equal importance, he has exercised a close surveilance over their health and morals and all things appertaining to their comfort. In this work Mrs. Miller, as matron of the asylum, has proved a valuable assistant, and has exerted an important influence in advancing the interests of the institution. Mr. Miller will remain in Kansas City, Kas. His successor, the Rev. Mr. Buckner, is a man of excellent character and standing, and brings to his new position all the qualifications of a competent and sucessful superintendent.
(Kansas City Star ~ Monday ~ July 1, 1889)


Baldwin City, Kan., June 22---Rev. W. R. Davis, D.D., first president of Baker university, and a man connected with Kansas history for the past thirty-five years, died this morning at 3:30 o'clock at his residence in this city. Mr. Davis had been sick with rheumatic fever for nine weeks. The funeral takes place tomorrow at 11:30 in Centenary hall.
(Topeka Weekly Capital ~ Thursday ~ June 29, 1893)


Baldwin City, Kansas---Last Sunday services were held into the C. M. E. Church with a large attendance. Mrs. Sidney Porter, one of the outstanding women of the town, is superitendent of the Sunday School and is making a marked success in that task. Several classes have been organized and teachers appointed for each class. For years this church has been without a leader and is now awakening to the needs of the people for spiritual training. Under the leadership of sister Porter this Sunday School will give that which has been lacking to the people.
(Plaindealer ~ Friday ~ August 30, 1935)


Lawrence, Kas., Feb. 18---Christian Long, a farmer who lived west of Baldwin City, committed suicide Saturday by jumping into a well. Cause, temporary insanity, brouht on by financial troubles.
(Kansas City Star ~ Monday ~ February 18, 1889)


Miss Patricia Marsh

Patricia Marsh of Pittsburgh was designated the most beautiful and most popular co-ed on the campus of Baker university, Baldwin City, Kan. 
(Lawrence Daily Journal World ~ March 22, 1930)


Baldwin City, Kan. --- Rev. Charles W. Bailey, retired minister who soon will be 101 years old, officiated at the baptism of his infant great-grandson, John T. Marshall.
(Repository ~ Canton, OH ~ Sunday ~ December 5, 1948)


By Prof. O. E. Olin of Buchtel College

I was principal of the village school in Baldwin City, Ks., in the middle '70s. Richard A. Proctor, the great astronomer, was to lecture in Lawrence, fifteen miles away, and my assistant and I decided that we must surely hear him. With three other young men, one of whom was the railroad section foreman, we made up a party of five.

But a difficulty confronted us. The lecture was on a school day night and there were no trains to or from Lawrence at a time that would accommodate us, and it was far to drive.

The section foreman proposed that we take his handcar. We were all young enough to see sport in the plan and at an appointed time we rolled down the long grade to the Wauksrausa valley and worked our way in true section hand style up to the city.

All this to explain how we came to meet Proctor.

The lecture itself was fully to our expectations. It was "Other Worlds Than Ours," but in the course of the brilliant address the lecturer referred to some of the beliefs of the orthodox Christianity of that time with true scientific sarcasm. This, too, had a hearing upon our meeting.

We had agreed that after the lecture we would meet at an old Lawrence hotel landmark, that there might be no delay in starting home from our getting scattered.

We two went to the hotel soon after the lecture and waited for the other three. My companion was well acquainted with the son of the hotel proprietor. He greeted my friend as we entered:

"Why, Gaddis, what are you doing here at this time of night?"

"Oh, I came up to hear Proctor lecture. Worked a hand car all the way from Baldwin."

At this the hotel clerk seemed a little ill at case and he tried to direct our attention to the end of the counter, where a well dressed stranger stood with back toward us.

But Gaddis went on:

"'We had a stiff pull, I tell you. My hands are well blistered now."

"Well, did you feel paid for the work?" said the clerk, feeling that he must get out of the situation some way.

"I should think I did. But didn't the old chap give it to the orthodox, though?"

At this the stranger turned toward us, with a twinkle, and said mildly:

"Was I very hard on the orthodox?" And there was the great Proctor himself.

But the situation was ludicrous enough to be its own upology, and after introductions all around we were invited to the hotel parlor. And here for an hour we enjoyed such intimate and genial fellowship with the eminent astronomer as few strangers were ever accorded.
(Plain Dealer ~ Cleveland, OH ~ Sunday ~ March 12, 1911)

Peter W. Bosinger, son of a Mr. Bosinger, residing near Baldwin City, was found hung yesterday morning near Monticello, Johnson county. He was hung by a band of six ruffians who pretended to be officers, and accused him of stealing a horse. They took his horse, a fine one, and left for parts unknown. ~ Lawrence Journal
(Denver Rocky Mountain News ~ Wednesday ~ May 30, 1866)


Eudora Woman Gets Out of Bed and Commits Suicide

Lawrence, Kan., May 25---Mrs. Thompson, who lived four miles east of Eudora, got out of her bed Saturday night, and went to the river bank near her house and jumped in.

It is thought she did the act in a fit of temporary insanity. Search for the body had not been successful in recovering it up to today. No cause can be assigned for the act except the one given above, as the woman had a happy home and was in as good health as usual.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Tuesday ~ May 26, 1896)


Lawrence Fishermen Secure the Largest Fish Taken for Years

Lawrence, Kan., May 25---A 200-pound catfish was taken from the river at the dam in Lawrence this morning by fishermen. It is the largest fish taken from the river in years, and the Kansas university authorities were telephoned to see if they wanted the skin to preserve and mount.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Tuesday ~ May 26, 1896)


Dastardly Attempt to Ditch a Santa Fe Train Near Eudora

Eudora, Kan., April 5---An attempt was made to wreck Santa Fe train No. 116, east bound, about a quarter of a mile east of this place at 9:30 last night. Rails and ties were placed across the track and were discovered by a colored man, who notified the agent here. The agent sent word to Lawrence and had the train held there until the obstruction was removed. There is no clue to the perpetrators.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Friday ~ April 8, 1898)

Rev. Moses Williams, assistant pastor at Antioch Baptist Church of which Rev. W. M. Jackson is pastor, accepted the call to pastor Second Baptist Church at Audora, Kansas. Rev. Williams has rendered outstanding service in the community and is well qualified to give excellent leadership on a new charge.

He is a member of the Knights of Pythians Lodge No. 14 .
(Plaindealer ~ Friday ~ May 17, 1946)


Rev. J. W. Whitley, pastor of the Queen Ether Baptist Church of Rosedale, Kansas, has been called to the pastorate of the First Baptist church of Eudora, Kansas. Rev. Whitley is an outstanding churchman, a member of the Second Baptist church of Kansas City of which Rev. G. W. Barnes is pastor, and a member of the Kaw Valley District Association and the new Baptist Ministers Union. He is a student at the Kansas City, Kansas, Baptist Theological seminary. He is married and has three children. Rev. Whitley and his family reside at 1412 S. 24th street, Kansas City, Kansas.
(Plaindealer ~ Friday ~ June 6, 1941)



FOUND DEAD---One of the sadest things that has happened since the settling of the State was discovered on Sunday last. On the farm of Dr. Shuler lived a colored man; he had lived all alone and had been clearing up some new ground. On the 2nd of this month the owner of this land went to see how he was getting along, and went to the house, and not finding him there he went to the timber where he discovered his coat and gun and then began to look for the old gentleman, when he soon discovered his dead body lying on the ground. He had been mowing brush with a scythe, and when found the scythe was under his head, and from all indications he must have died sometime Saturday. He had been in poor health from some time past. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. H. Fod, as he was a member of his Church. Mr. John Parm has been a citizen of this place for 18 or 20 years, and was well known and respected by all. He left one son to mourn his untimely death.
(Western Recorder ~ Lawrence, KS ~ Friday ~ December 14, 1883)


Eudora, Kan., October 1---Extensive preparation are being made for the dedication of the bridge across the Kansas river here next Thursday, October 6. The dedication is to be in connection with the German day celebration. judge S. O. Thacher of Lawrence and other eminent speakers will address the people. The Indian band of Haskell institute and the Eudora Glee club will enliven the occasion with choice music. Basket dinner at noon. Everybody is invited to come. Bring full baskets and have a good time. Exercises to begin at 10 o'clock at Durr's grove. Five thousand people are expected to be in attendance.
(Topeka Weekly Capital ~ Thursday ~ October 6, 1892)

Eudora, KS

Mr. George Clark had four children poisoned by eating wild greens, his wife died a few months ago, and while he and his oldest son were out working, the children thought they would get them a mess of greens, and we suppose they got some thing poison. The youngest died. The Dr. thinks the other three will recover.
(Topeka Tribune ~ Saturday ~ May 16, 1885)

Last evening, Friedrich Femmer, a farmer from near Eudora, was found insensible near Sigel's Garden, with several severe wounds in the head. Mr. femmer was on his way home. He was met by a negro man with his gun. He asked to ride. He was refused. He then struck Mr. Femmer over the head with his gun and otherwise bruised him. The "nigger" is still at large.
(Leavenworth Bulletin ~ Thursday ~ November 5, 1868)


Eudora Man Shoots His Wife Twice and She Escapes Uninjured

Eudora, Kan., Nov. 9---Charles Norton attempted to kill his wife here this evening by shooting at her twice, and was prevented by his children from shooting the third time. Neither shot hit his wife. Jealousy was the cause Norton made as his excuse.
(Topeka Weekly Capital ~ Friday ~ November 12, 1897)


Earl Bullock's Second Visit to Eudora Ended Disastrously---Shot Himself When Surrounded

Eudora, Kansas---Earl Bullock, the nineteen-year-old bandit, came to Eudora and robbed the Eudora State bank. He sought to repeat his robbery of October 11, when he got $800 and killed a Lawrence policeman. He is dead from the effects of one of the last two bullets in his revolver. Surrounded in a pasture, he shot himself in the head. A companion, who gave his name as William McKay, surrendered a few minutes before Bullock shot himself and is now in jail at Lawrence.

Frederick Starr, assistant cashier of the Kaw Valley State bank of Eudora who was in the Eudora State bank when the robbers entered, was shot through the left jaw by Bullock and is in a hospital in Lawrence.
(Wichita Searchlight ~ Saturday ~ November 20, 1909)


Lawrence, Kansas---Jealous because his wife would not return to his home in Eudora and live with him, Dr. C. C. Payne, a physician of Eudora, fired two shots at Mrs. Payne in her mother's home here and then committed suicide.
(Wichita Searchlight ~ Saturday ~ September 23, 1911)


Eudora, Kan., July 5---The building of Henry Ziesenis, on Main street, occupied for a harness and boot and shoe store, burned down this morning at 3 o'clock. Loss, about $2,000; insured. The cause is supposed to be firecrackers or too much Fourth of July. It was with great difficulty that the buildings adjoining were saved.
(Topeka Weekly Capital ~ July 7, 1892)


Back to Index Page

Copyright © to Kansas Genealogy Trails' Douglas County host & all Contributors
  All rights reserved