REPLACE POOR FARM WITH BOARDING HOUSE
Ellsworth --- The county poor farm has been abolished. Instead, a boarding and lodging house under county sponsorship will be maintained, where old people may make their homes, paying rent from their monthly social security checks.
The county commissioners have leased the former county poor farm to James Reardon. He will take in roomers and boarders at $20 per month. The former inmates of the poor farm now will receive social security checks from the county welfare fund, with state and federal aid, which will pay their board and lodging, and also provide other necessitites.
But they will be free to board and room anywhere they please if they don't like the county supervised boarding house. And the poor farm is definitely out.
(Hutchinson News Herald ~ April 10, 1938 ~ Page 11)
ST. FRANCIS BOYS' HOMES OBSERVES FOUNDER'S DAY
St. Francis Boys' Homes, Inc., will celebrate Founder's Day Sept. 3.
Activities include a slide presentation and an exhibition of photographs at a dinner meeting of the board of directors Sept. 2 at the Salina Hilton Inn. A similar program is to be presented the following day for staff members and employees at the St. Francis general offices, 509 E. Elm, to mark the agency's 35th anniversary.
The founder of St. Francis Homes was a young Episcopal priest, the Rev. Robert H. Mize, Jr., who began sheltering his flock in the former Ellsworth County Poor Farm in 945. He soon became known to his charges as "Father Bob."
Another home was opened Aug. 1, 1948, in the former Saline County Poor Farm near Bavaria. It was headed by the Rev. Peter Francis who now is resident director of "Camelot," the St. Francis Home at Lake Placid, N.Y., which opened in 1966.
In 1960, Father Bob took a sabbatical leave to Africa where he eventually was elected Bishop of Damaraland. The Rev. William E. Craig then assumed directorship of the St. Francis Homes.
Today each home accommodates 26 boys. In addition, a nonresidential program, "Passport for Adventure," operates in seven Kansas communities. It provides experimental wilderness camping trips and counseling for 4th through 6th grade boys and girls who are having difficulties.
(Salina Journal ~ September 2, 1980)
MAJOR EXPANSION PLANNED AT ELLSWORTH BOYS HOME
Ellsworth --- A planned $400,000 expansion of the Ellsworth St. Francis Boys Home will almost double existing spaces for the 26 junior high and high school residents.
The project, which could rise to the $500,000 spending level with furniture and other purchases, will include a complete new kitchen and dining facility in an addition off the main building. Shower and lavoratory facilities will be renovated and offices built for staff members. Dorms rooms and the basement of the living reidence will be remodeled, with additional rooms added for counseling sessions.
Bob Albers Construction, Salina, submitted the low bid for the project at $403,200.
The Ellsworth home was established in 1945 by Bishop Bob Mize. Before 1945, the home was known as the Ellsworth County Poor Farm, which housed elderly residents.
St. Francis Boys Homes, headquartered in Salina, also operates another home between Salina and Bavaria.
(Hutchinson News ~ February 19, 1983 ~ Page 2)