Levi Richardson, a freighter, was killed by Frank Loving, a gambler in the Long Branch Saloon, Saturday evening last. The difficulty grew out of the amicable feelings both held for a woman of easy virture. Several shots were exchanged by both men and three fatal shots struck Richardson, who died within an hour afterwards. A Coroner's jury rendered a verdict that Loving fired the pistol in self defense.

This is one of those occurrences we do not care to dwell upon. It has its terrible lesson. While we deplore such tragic occurrences, we believe the time is approaching when such scenes will be uncommon in Dodge. (Dodge City Times, April 12, 1879, front page)


W. B. Harris has a choice and valuable collection of rare and ancient coins, which he has neatly arranged in a magnificant cabinet and placed on the counter of the Long Branch Saloon, for the inspection of those who admire antiquities. He has taken great pains and expense in procuring this collection which embraces only a portion of his curiosities. (Dodge City Times, August 2, 1879, page 8)


A bold robbery took place at 10 o'clock Tuesday morning at the residence of A. H. Webb, whose house is located on the hill north of the court house, and is the farthest house on the ridge. The thieves took two mares, two saddles, a Winchester rifle, clothing, etc., and safely evaded detection and pursuit. A description of the mares and thieves is given in another column of this page. This is the coolest robbery we have heard of for some time and we hope the thieves will get their just desserts. (Dodge City Times, August 2, 1879, page 8)


Tuesday night about 12-1/2 o'clock, Deputy United States Marshal C. M. Taylor, of Baxter Springs, Kansas, arrested, at the Long Branch Saloon, in this city, a young man named George Smith, who is charged in the United States warrent with passing counterfeit greenbacks, at Baxter Springs. Smith is also charged with swindling an old man out of $500 and a fine revolver. Mr. Taylor followed Smith to Kansas City where he learned that the young man had swindled a clothing dealer out of $10 and then came to St. Joseph. The young man who is a very good looking person, seemed but slightly disconcerted by his arrest and accompanied the officer with alacrity. Mr. Taylor was assisted in his search for his man by officers Holman and O'Connor. He put up at the Allen House and leaves with his prisoner for Baxter Springs this morning. St. Joseph Herald. (The Leavenworth Weekly Times, November 10, 1870, page 2)


The town of Bucklin is greatly excited over a shooting incident that occurred there.  Link Pope, clerk in a pool hall, while in an intoxicated condition, went to the room of Mr. John Stumph, a railroad brakeman, opened the door and shot him while Mr. Stumph was sitting on a chair.  Mr. Stumph died immediately.
(Chanute Times ~ January 17, 1908)


The murder case from Bucklin was finished at the district court late Saturday night and the jury was out until 11 o'clock Sunday when it reported that a verdict had been reached.  The verdict was lighter, probably, than was generally expected, manslaughter in the fourth degree.  The jury at the start, it is understood, were in the majority for murder in the second degree, but ranged all the way from murder in the first degree to acquittal.

From this state after a long siege they finally agreed to bring in the verdict of manslaughter in the fourth degree.  The severest sentence that can be given the defendant, Clinton Pope, on the finding is two years in the penitentiary.  He will be sentenced on March 7.

The state's case was conducted by County Attorney Carl Van Ripe, who was assisted by M. W. Sutton.  The defendant was represented by I. A. Madison and Judge Milton.

The defendant was tried for killing John Stumph, a Rock Island brakeman, at the latter's room in Bucklin, on Sunday, January 5th.  There was no provocation for the killing and the two men had been friends.  Pope had been drinking and during the course of his spree went to a restaurant and got a revolver that he had left there.  He went to Stump's room where two other men were.  As he entered the door he raised the revolver and fired, the bullet entering Stumph's body and causing hs death in a few moments.  There is nothing known that would indicate that Pope had any desire to kill Stumph.  If there was any trouble between them no one knew of it but themselves.  It is the general belief that Pope's act was merely the folly of a drunken man.  It was a distressing affair all around and an awful affair, the loss of a life for the mere whim of a drunken spree and a life of disgrace as the further price that must be paid---Dodge City Globe Republican.
(Meade County News ~ February 27, 1908)

We learm from the Ford County Globe that the notorious Dutch Henry is caught and has been brought back by Sheriff Masterson to Dodge City.  He is to the frontier and to the art of horse-stealing, what the James brothers are to Southwestern Missouri and the science of train robbery.  He appears and looks to be an educated German-American, and it is believed that his name is Henry Borne.  There are twelve prisoners in the Ford County Jail.
(Daily Commonwealth ~ Topeka, KS ~ Saturday ~ January 11, 1879 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


Bucklin, Near Dodge City, May Be Totally Destroyed

Bucklin, Kans., June 24 --- Fire broke out here this morning in the business district and has burned steadily since.  Every building on Main street is destroyed.  A strong wind is blowing and the entire town is in danger.  There is no water system here and there is little chance to save anything.

Bucklin is a small town in Ford county, about twenty-five miles southeast of Dodge City.
(Evening Herald ~ Ottawa, KS ~ Friday ~ June 24, 1904 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


Wichita, Kansas --- While in Wichita to attend the yearly meeting of the Friends church, Isaac Hammers of Greensburg, Kan., made it known that he had given to Friends college, the Quaker institution of learning here a section of land near Bucklin, Kan., and lying in Kiowa and Ford counties.  It is on th emarket at $36,000 and is said to be worth at least that.  Mr. Hammers is a wheat grower and a member of the Quaker church.
(Humboldt Union ~ Saturday ~ October 14, 1911 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


Bucklin Court Refuses To Interfere With Education

Bucklin, Kan., April 11 --- Judge Gordon L. Finley has refused to grant an injunction against the school board of this city enjoining them from erecting a new school building for which bonds were voted recently.  The injunction suit was brought by parties living near town on the grounds that the erection of a building on the proposed site would cause their children to walk about a half mile farther to school.  It is likely that the case will be appealed.
(Wichita Beacon ~ Thursday ~ April 11, 1912 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


A. R. Stimson, a contractor of Sabetha, Kan., was in Wichita yesterday purchasing brick for a $20,000 school building that he will erect at Bucklin, Kan.  He left instructions to ship his material at once, for he is under contract ohave the building finished by September 1.  Brick was purchased from the Lumberman's Supply company.
(Wichita Daily Eagle ~ Friday ~ May 3, 1912 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


Bucklin Man Held Prisoner by Arm While Assistance Was Secured Loses His Arm

Bucklin, Kan., Aug. 23 --- Held by his right arm in the cogs of a gas tractor, which mercilessly ground his arm to the elbow, Fred Lamb, a young farmer of near Bucklin, was forced to cling there in horrible torture while his companion ran half a mile to bring aid.

Even then, after the wheel was jacke up, the suffering man could not be removed from the machine which held him in its cruel grasp, and it was necessary to break the heavy castings with a sledge hammer to release him.

Every blow added to his torture.  Surgeons found it necessary to amputate his right arm at the elbow.

Mr. Lamb is 21 years of age.
(Wichita Beacon ~ Friday ~ August 23, 1912 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)

Dodge City, Kansas, has had its first funeral.  The man died with his boots on, and rejoicing is in order with the inhabitants over their assured greatness.
(Olathe Mirror ~ Thursday ~ November 21, 1872 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)



DODGE  CITY --- An 18-year-old man who shot an acquaintance before forcing another man at gunpoint to drive him from the crime scene was shot by police in this southwest Kansas town.

The wounded suspect fell to the ground late Sunday, then shot himself in the head in an apparent suicide attempt, police said.  He died later at a Wichita hospital.

Police gave this account:

Ricardo Chacon drove to the home of his friend, Ronald Timion, 19, to confront Timion about the help he had offered police investigating an earlier burglary.  He forced Timion into his car.  The car sped into oncoming traffic and struck another car about 9:30 p.m.

Chacon got out of the car, shot Timion and ran to a nearby house, Jaakola said.  Timion was later airlifted to a Wichita hospital, where he was pronounced dead Monday night, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Chacon knocked on the door of the house and took some of its reidents hostage, Jaakola said.  He forced a woman and her two small children into the trunk of a car and locked it, then forced one of the residents, a 20-year-old male, at gunpoint to drive him around the city in a pickup truck with a rifle and shotgun taken from the house.

Chacon was looking for a place to rob so he could flee the area, Jaakola said.

The truck was seen by police about 11:45 p.m. and a chase ensued.  The truck eventually stopped, and Chacon emerged with a gun that he raised at police.  Officers opened fired, and Chacon dropped the ground before shooting himself in the head, Jaakola said.

There were no reported injuries to the relatives locked in the car or the man who drove Chacon at gunpoint, officials said.
(Salina Journal ~ March 3, 1999 ~ Page 9)


Bucklin, Kan., Jan. 21 --- A plan is being conidered by which the city of Bucklin may purchase the unsold land and control of all roadways and parkings in the city cemetery from the Bucklin Cemetery Association, for a consideration of $1.00.

Under the present arrangement, the cemetery is handled by the Bucklin Cemetery Association which is unincorporated and without funds to properly care for the necessary work in keeping everything in proper shape.  Under the new arrangement it will be possible for the city to levy a small tax for the purpose of tending the grounds, planting trees, mowing and other improvements as occasion demands.
(Hutchinson News ~ January 21, 1928 ~ Page 9)


Bucklin --- Volunteer workers secured enough signatures on the cemetery petitions to assure that the proposal of establishing a cemetery district taking in not only the city of Bucklin, but the townships of Ford, Pleasant VAlley and Bucklin as well.

It was necessary to secure more than 60 percent of the qualified voters of each township and town  A large number of signer were secured in Sodville township, but not enough to include that township, and the town of Kingsdown, in the district.

The new district would take over the Bucklin cemetery and maintain it as a community cemetery.  The disstrict would take in a large part of southeast Ford county, south of the river.
(Hutchinson News ~ June 28, 1945 ~ Page 13)


BUCKLIN --- Contracts for an 18-bed addition to the Bucklin Community Hospital were awarded Wednesday by the hospital board.

Herndon Building Co. of Wichita had low bid of $59,676 in a field of 11 contractors for general construction.

Ross Plumbing & Heating Co. of Dodge City got the contract for the heating, plant and plumbing installations on a bid of $30,000.

Electrical phase of the work went to Kerr Electric of Greensburg at $12,150.

Board members were well pleased with results of the letting.  The total of three contracts ran to $101,946.

Voters of the hospital district several months ago approved a bond issue in the sum of $125,000 for the job.

It is estimated that after architect fees and other expenses are met the district will have approximately $14,000 left of the bond issue for equipping the addition.

The project will give the community a modern 25-bed hospital.  The existing facility originally was rated at seven beds, but occupancy rate has been averaging 12 to 14 patients.  Hospital staff members have utilized reception room, doctors' office and coridors to find bed space.
(Hutchinson News ~ July 11, 1957 ~ Page 16)


Dodge City Welcomed the Famous Long Distance Walker


Was Made the Day of His Visit Here --- He's a Regular Walking Machine

Weston, the  human walking machine, was in Dodge City last Monday morning.  The wizard of pedestrianism at 72 years of age is still defending his world record, and the honor is accorded him gladly by a large share of humanity.

When he reached Dodge City Monday morning at 8:30 o'clock he had walked 26 miles from where he took his night's rest at Ingalls.  The following day was to be his 72nd birthday, and he had determined on the day preceding this event to walk a mile for each year of his life.  He carried out this determination, reaching a point about two miles this side of Garfield Monday evening about 11:30, where he arose again after a few hours sleep.

Edward Payson Weston, the famous long distance walker, spent Sunday at Ingalls.  He left for Dodge City shortly after midnight.  O. M. Beeson, chairman of the reception committee of The Dodge City Commercial Club, accompanied by Mr. Ballard, met the pedestrian at a point about five miels west of town, and walked in with him to the Harvey house where the New Yorker partook of a light breakfast, and rested for an hour.

Weston has been doing long distance walking stunts for the past forty years.  He seems to walk for the joy of the exercise.  He is a man who has been associated with prominent people all his life.  For years he was a reporter on different New York papers.  He is distinctly the aristocrat of pedestrians.  He appears in strong contrast with the many long distance trampers that have tried to imitate his trips.

Several hundred people were out at 7 o'clock Monday morning to meet him upon his arrival in Dodge City, and waited until he arrived at 8:30.  He is not large, but is very erect and straught for a man of his age.  His walk is the result of forty years experience.  His step is somewhat jaunty, almost mincing, you would think, but it propells his body forward rapidly.  Every step is just like the one preceding it.  It is timed and meausred.  It is a mathematical calculation, as to how many steps he will take in a given time, and just how far those steps will take him, and it is figured down more closely than you can count the seconds and determine an hour of time.  Every step is taken with exactly the same motion, figured down to a fine point too, and with as much care as the watchmaker will use in adjusting and regulating a reliable time piece.  He used this step even in going up stairs, when he was taken to a room on the second floor of the Harvey house.  When he came down stairs, he came down backwards, stepping with exactly the same time and motion as in going up.

He told the reception committee the only request he had to make of it was that the crowd should be kept from behind him.  He seemed much concerned about protecting his heels.

If someone struck his heel, he said, it would throw him off for the day, possibly for the trip.  It has taken years to adjust this human walking mechanism, and a slight jolt would ruin it.

Weston was in love with the climate in this part of the state.  The weather was so good, the roads so fine, and the air was so bracing that he was in a high good humor, so much so that he seemed to be in love with the people too.  He said at the Harvey house that he was very grateful to the people for their kindness in meeting him.  If it was possible he would meet them all and shake hands.  After he completed his present trip he said he was going to make a trip back to Dodge City for a visit.  He questioned Mr. Beeson regarding lands in this vicinity, and said he would like to come back here and buy a ranch.  He thinks the Santa Fe Railroad is one of the finest roads in existence, and that it passes through the greatest country in the world.  Weston has the reputation of talking very little when he is on one of his trips, but while he was with the Dodge City people he talked incessantly.  Mr. Beeson suggested once while walking into Dodge that he was causing Weston to talk too much.  "It don't take any effort" said Weston, "I only have to open my mouth and it just runs out."

He declares that this is the easiest, most enjoyable trip he has ever made.  The Santa Fe has a remarkable road bed, the climate through here is simply wonderful, and the western people look good to him.

Mr. Beeson and Mr. Ballard accompanied Weston from Dodge City to Wright station, the mayor Mr. Gluck, Marshal Madden and Santa Fe Agent Teed also going with the party.
(The Globe-Republican ~ Thursday ~ March 17, 1910 ~ Page 1)



Dodge City, Kan., Dec. 3 --- At a recent carnival staged in the Hoover Memorial pavilion here, R. J. McMullen, of the American Legion post, announced to the audience that the boxing bout originally planned for the event had been withdrawn, and wrestling bouts substituted because objection to the fistic game had been made.  So, with mutual consent, two of the boxers who came here for a bout, put on a wrestling combat.

"I claim Dodge City is thoroughly modernized," remarked one of the boxers.  Since I came to town one of the old-timers was telling me about the 'wild and wooly West,' when Dodge City was the end of the Texas cattle trail.  Times have changed a lot in 40 years."
(Emporia Gazette ~ Friday ~ December 3, 1920)



Dodge City, Kan., May 30 --- Howard F. Kolly, F. F. Conter, Mrs. Emma Parsons, and Miss Carlie Heitbicker, a pleasure party all of Dodge City, while out driving in an open surrey yesterday afternoon attempted to ford Duck creek, a small stream five miles north of Dodge City.  Their vehicle was overturned by the swift current and swept away, drowning the occupants, and both horses, and demolishing the surrey.  The bodies have been recovered.  For the past twelve hours there has been a heavy downpour of rain west of here and the creek had swollen to a considerable depth, a fact of which they evidently were not aware.
(Emporia Gazette ~ Tuesday ~ May 30, 1905 ~ Page 1)


Commandant of State Soldiers' Home at Dodge City Resigns

Dissatisfaction Over His Management the Cause---Chairman Juneau of the Directors Is Now in Charge

The trouble which has been brewing between the veterans and Captain C. M. Cunningham, commandant of the State Soldiers' Home at Dodge City, has culminated in the resignation of that official.  He has taken his family and left the institution, going to his home in Norton.

The difficulty grew entirely from dissatisfaction among the inmates of the institution.  It became evident at spasmodic intervals early last spring and has been constantly increasing until charges were preferred against Commandant Cunningham a few weeks ago.  Pending the investigation of the charges, Captain Cunningham resigned.

Charges were also preferred against him by the Grand Army post at Dodge City.  One of the principal things alleged by the two forces without and within the home that were fighting Cunningham was that on last Christmas he sent home a box of goods which really belonged to the veterans having been purchased by the state for its warads.

It is just to Mr. Cunningham to say that the members of the board of directors thoroughly investigated the records and proceedings of the commandant but found no evidence of any dishonesty on his part.  Neither were those who preferred the charges able to substantiate them.  Being vindicated in his official conduct Mr. Cunningham resigned.

The members of the board of managers of the home are L. Van Voorhis of Lawrence, Populist; H. Juneau, Dodge City, Republican, and Captain Thomas Shuler, White Rock, Republican.

The chairman of the board of directors, Mr. Juneau, is now in charge of the home and will continue in that capacity until Governor Leedy appoints a successor to Captain Cunningham.  The time is so short between now and the inauguration of the Populist adminisration, that the managers were of the opinion that it would be a difficult matter to secure a Republican who would take charge of the institution and suffer himself to be kicked out by a Populist successor in a few weeks.

One of the managers who was in Topeka yesterday stated that the veterans at the home had also complained of too much brass-buttoned discipline at the home and further charged the commanding officer with being too harsh and stern with them.
(Topeka Weekly Capital ~ Friday ~ November 20, 1896 ~ Page 5)



Back to Index Page
Copyright © to Kansas Genealogy Trails' Ford County host & all Contributors
  All rights reserved