John Acker, for many years, a prominent Kansas farmer, was born in Hackettstown, New Jersey, in December, 1845, and died at his home near Junction City June 9, 1930. He was the son of Samuel and Amelia (Smith) Acker, the former of who was born in Warren County, New Jersey. Both parents were of German ancestry.
Mr. Acker attended the public and high school, and in 1877 came to Kansas where he resided until his death. On January 15,1868, he was married to Elma Rinda Norman at Lamoille, Illinois. Mrs. Acker was born in Coshocton Company, Ohio, March 11, 1851. There are five children living, Lottie B., born February 6, 1872, who is married to T. F. McCarty; Millie L., August 28, 1874, who is married to Tom Settle; John, October 4, 1881, who married Gertrude Anderson; Samuel, November 13, 1883, who married Anna Jolitz; and Alva D., June 4, 1888, who married Nelda Laclair.
After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Acker resided two and a quarter miles west of Walnut, Illinois, for about nine years, then moving to Kansas where they settled six miles west of Junction City. There Mr. Acker farmed for fifty-five years.
Mr. Acker took an active part in community work and for forty-four years was county road supervisor. For about twelve years he was a member of the local school board. He was an ardent Republican and a member of the Methodist Church. His kindness and generosity were always displayed to those in need and his influence and inspiration were regarded by those in his community as necessary to its advancement.
Mrs. Acker who appears twenty years less than her eighty-two years, has devoted her lifetime to her family and her husband's interests and in addition has found it possible to do much for community service. (Illustriana Kansas, by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, page 7)
CALLEN, JACOB BENTON
Jacob Benton Callen, who for the past 15 years has been a director of the Central National Bank of Junction City and since 1915, examiner of abstracts of title, was born near Junction City on September 22, 1859. His father, Anson Williber Callen, was born in Schuyler County, New York, May 11, 1832 and died at Conway, Arkansas, February 14, 1916. Catherine Elizabeth Shutts, wife of Anson Williber Callen, was born in Chemung County, New York, December 11, 1835, and died at Junction City, May 24, 1911.
Jacob Benton Callen attended public school and in February 1876 was graduated from high school at Junction City. A Republican he was city clerk and clerk of the board of education for several yeras in the eighties, and from 1880 until 1900 was clerk of the district court. He served as county treasurer from 1900 until 1902 and as postmaster, from 1902 until 1915. He has resided continusously in Junction City since 1859.
His marriage to Lena Woodson was solemnized at Hutchinson, November 23, 1887. Mrs. Callen who was a school teacher before her marriage was born in Henry County, Tennessee, October 13, 1862 and died at Boulder Colorado, December 11, 1918. Two children were born to them Speer Woodson in Junction City, May 16, 1891. He died unmarried in Boulder, Colorado, Novemer 20, 1918. The daughter, Mary Woodson Callen, was born in Junction City July 20, 1902 and died there on August 13, 1903.
Mr. Callen had four brothers, all of whom died leaving no children. He had three sisters of which one is still living, namely Ella E. King of Junction City.
He is past master of the Masons and a member of Geary County and Kansas State Historical Associations. He has been a director and secretary of the Junction City Public Library board since its organization in 1907. Residence: Junction City. (Illustriana Kansas, by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, page 189)
CLARK, OMER OSCAR
Omer Oscar Clark, prominent Kansas banker for many years, was born in Winchester, Kansas, March 30, 1879 and died at Junction City, October 14, 1931.
He was the son of William Arment and Melvina Elizabeth (Wilhelm) Clark, the former a native of Farmer City, Illinois, born January 27, 1855. William Arment Clark was a merchant and a member of the Kansas house of representatives. His death occurred at Winchester on February 8, 1910. He was the son of Lake Clark, who was born in County Kings, Ireland, and came to the United States. Lake Clark married Eliza Arment, who was born in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, February 5, 1829. They were married in Mount Vernon, Ohio on February 28, 1848 and moved to Illinois in 1853. They homesteaded in Jefferson County, Kansas in 1868.
Melvina Elizabeth Wilhelm was born in Winchester, Kansas, July 17, 1857 and died there on September 22, 1921. She was the daughter of Levi Wilhelm who was born in Bedford County, Pennsylvania, September 11, 1832 and Rachel Gibson born in Putnam County, Indiana, January 9, 1834. Levi was of Pennsylvania Dutch ancestry and Rachel was descended from early settlers in North Carolina and Tennessee. They were settlers in North Carolina and Tennessee. They were married in Buchanan County, Missouri, September 11, 1853 and came to Jefferson County, Kansas in 1857.
Omer Oscar Clark attended public school at Winchester and for a year was a student at the academy of Baker University. He was a member of the Biblical Literary Society there, and received the highest possible honors.
From 1901 until 1906 Mr. Clark was in partnership with his father in the mercantile business. He became cashier of the Exchange State Bank of Nortonville in 1906 and from 1917 until 1931 was vice president of the First National Bank of Junction City. He was president of the Delaware Valley Telephone Company at Valley Falls, the Valley Falls Light Company (1918-28) and the Jefferson Coutny Light and Power Company from 1918 until 1924.
A Republican he was a member and chairman of the Geary County Republican central committee for several years.
On June 22, 1904, Mr. Clark was married to Luella Hinchman at Winchester. She was born there on February 22, 1876 and in her youth was a teacher. Her father was of English and her mother of Scotch-Irish descent. There are three children, Ralph O, born February 12, 1906, Francis C., December 2, 1907, and Mary Elizabeth, April 3, 1910. Ralph is a jobber to cleaning fluids; Francis is a newspaper reporter and law student and Mary is in business. All are graduates of Baker University.
Mr. Clark's principal interests were his family, his church, his bank, and his community. He was financial advisor and principal worker in the Methodist Episcopal Churches in Nortonville and Junction City was superintendent of Sunday School from 1920 until his death and was financial advisor of the Kansas Conference of the Methodist Church. He was one of the most energetic and influential laymen of that conference.
Of considerable influence, he did not, however, care for public office, but engaged in politics purely as a matter of civic duty. He was a leader in agitating for and obtaining the vote in favor of bonds to rebuild the entire Junction City school system and in supervising its construction in 1930.
A member of the Young Men's Christian Association, he was also a member of many executive committees, was secretary of finance of the Kansas Methodist Episcopal Conference in 1925-31, a trustee of Wesley Foundation and a delegate to the general (world) conference at Springfield, Massachusetts in 1924. In 1926 he was president of the Chamber of Commerce, and at its organization in 1924 was elected president of the Lions Club. He was a Mason, a Shriner, a member of the Odd Fellows, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Security Benefit Association.
During the year 1916-17 he served as a member of the board of education of Nortonville and from 1923 until 1931 was a member of the board of education of Junction City. He was also a member of the Parent Teachers Association, a member of the Junction City Country Club (director), the Fort Riley Cavalry Club (honorary), and the Fort Riley Masonic Club (honorary). He had a wide acquaintance in the cavalry of the United States Army through banking contacts with officers and men of Fort Riley and was made honorary member of their club and was a warm friend of most of them. His favorite sport was golf, while his hobby was church work and community service. (Illustriana Kansas, by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, page 229)
CLARKE, EDGAR KINGSBURY
Edgar Kingsbury Clarke, retired soldier, was born in Stillwater, Minnesota, April 19, 1883, son of Lewis William and Matie (Foss) Clarke. The father a civil engineer and surveyor was born in Wellesley, Massachusetts, April 21, 1852 and died at Stillwater on January 3, 1929. The mother was born at Stillwater, and died there in May, 1885.
Edgar Kingsbury Clarke was graduated from high school in 1897 and from April 20, 1904 until March 31, 1932 was a soldier in the United States Army. On the last mentioned date he was retired with the rank of master sergeant.
During the World War period Mr. Clarke was regimental supply sergeant, 18th Field Artillery, 3rd Division and participated in the Champagne-Marne Defensive; Champagne-Marne Offensive; Vesle-Ourque Offensive; St. Mihiel; Meuse-Argonne; and the Army of Occupation in Germany. From 1927 until 1929 he served as adjutant of Earl C. Gormley Post No. 45 of the American Legion. He was commander from 1929 until 1930 and adjutant and service officer since 1931. His religious preference is that of the Methodist Church. His sports are fishing and baseball.
On April 14, 1914, he was married to Laura Hattie Conro at Junction City. She was the daughter of Charles F. and Cassander Conro, who have been resident of Geary County since 1876. Mrs. Clarke was borne at Lacon, Illinois, May 26, 1868 and died at Junction City, May 1, 1932. Residence: Junction City. (Illustriana Kansas, by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, page 230)
DALTON, JOHN THOMAS
John Thomas Dalton. To have accomplished so notable a work as has Mr. Dalton, in connection with the building of military posts for the National government, would prove sufficient to give precedence and reputation to any man, were this to represent the sum total of his efforts. He has, however, for some thirty years, been actively identified with the growth and development of Junction City, and has given substantial assistance to several of its enterprises and industries.
John T. Dalton is a native of England and was born in Preston, Yorkshire, April 21, 1854, son of Rev. Henry and Maria (Graves) Dalton. His father was a Methodist Episcopal clergyman who came with his family to America in 1857, locating in Dayton, Ohio. He removed to Missouri in 1870, and, in 1879 to Kansas, where he served as pastor of various churches in the Northwest Kansas Conference. His long and useful career was ended in Joplin, Mo., in 1910, when he passed away and was laid to rest in Highland cemetery beside his beloved wife, whose demise occurred in 1906. Their surviving children are: John T., who is the eldest; William H., a prominent real estate, loan and insurance agent, of Joplin, Mo., and one of the most active Prohibitionists in that state, having been the Prohibition candidate for Congress from his district in 1910; Joseph R., a successful mason contractor of Oklahoma City, Okla.; George M., a brick contractor of Oklahoma City; Alice M., the wife of George H. Crawford, of Junction City, Kan.; and the Rev. Charles B., of Berkeley, Cal.
John T. Dalton was educated in the public schools of Dayton, Ohio; subsequently became a farmer, and for a short time worked in the mines at Joplin, Mo. In 1878 he came to Junction City, Kan., where he formed, with his brother, William. H., the firm of Dalton Brothers, building contractors. Their first operations were at Skiddy, a small town in Geary county. During this partnership, which lasted until 1885, the firm was successful and a reputation for uprightness and reliability was established. In 1885 the firm of Zeigler & Dalton was formed, its interested principals being, J. T. Dalton, W. H. Dalton, H. H. Ziegler, and. T. C. Ziegler. Their most notable work was in the building of government army posts, their contracts having exceeded in their total any other firm. They have built, at Fort Riley, fifty buildings; at Fort Sam Houston, twenty-two; at Fort Ethan Allen, sixteen; at Fort Leavenw6rth, fourteen; and one each at Fort Thomas and Fort Madison; an exceedingly creditable showing. The Geary county court-house, the Junction City opera house and the high school building were also erected by them, as well as several business buildings and residences. W. H. Dalton retired from the firm in 1892, H. H. Ziegler in 1906, and J. C. Zeigler in 1909. With the retirement of J. C. Ziegler the firm of J. T. Dalton & Sons was formed, Arthur H. and Roy T. Dalton, sons of John T., being admitted to partnership. This firm completed, in 1910, the handsome home of the Central National Bank, one of the most complete and modern banking offices in the state. Their first contract was for nine buildings at Fort D. A. Russell. Mr. Dalton was one of the most active promoters of the Junction City Electric Railway, Light & Ice Company, and became vice-president and later president. On its reorganization as the Union Light & Power Company he was elected president, and has been continued in that capacity. The interurban railway, operated by this company, connects Fort Riley with Junction City, and has been an aid of great value to the latter in a commercial way, and a profitable enterprise to its owners. He is also a stockholder in the Dewey Portland Cement Company, and a large owner of improved business property in Junction City. Mr. Dalton is a Republican and was a candidate for the lower house in the legislature in the primary election of 1910. He was unable to make a campaign, being compelled to undergo a surgical operation at that time, and failed to secure the nomination. He is a member of the Junction City Commercial Club and the Country Club, and his fraternal associations are as a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and the Ancient Order of United Workmen. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
Mr. Dalton married, April 6, 1881, Miss Elizabeth Rust, daughter of John E. Rust, of Joplin, Mo. To them have been born six children, two of whom-William R. and Mary Elizabeth-died in childhood. Arthur H., born Jan. 6, 1882, a graduate of the Junction City High School, completed a course at Baker University, Baldwin, Kan., and is a member of the firm of J. T. Dalton & Sons. He is a member of the Junction City Commercial Club, Union Lodge, No. 7, Free and Accepted Masons, Junction City Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. He was married June 8, 1900, to Miss Anna M. Blake of Momence, Ill. Roy T., born Oct. 7, 1883, is a graduate of the Junction City High School, and also completed a course in the Sedalia (Mo.) Business College. He is a member of the firm of J. T, Dalton & Sons, the Junction City Commercial Club, and the Ancient Order of United Workmen. He married, Oct. 3, 1907, Miss Lillian Schlatter, of Junction City. George E., born March 29, 1889, is a graduate of the Junction City High School, and is now a student in Baker University, Baldwin, Kan. John W., born Dec. 24, 1895, is a student. Mr. Dalton is in all respects a high type of the conservative, unassuming American, diligent in his, various duties and commercial affairs and conscientious in all things. His position today is the result of his own well directed efforts. His methods have been clean, capable and honest. He has realized a large and substantial success in the business world, but of even greater consequence to him is his possession of a well earned popularity and the esteem which comes from honorable living. (Kansas Biography, Vol. III, Part 2, 1912, Pages 814-816, Transcribed by: Millie Mowry)
FENTON, SHERWOOD W.
Sherwood W. Fenton. As cashier of the Central National Bank of Junction City, of which he is a director, Mr. Fenton has been an active figure in the financial development of central Kansas, and enjoys a wide acquaintance, as well as a reputation, for conscientiousness, integrity, and progressiveness. Sherwood W. Fenton is a native of Michigan, born in St. Clair county, near the city of St. Clair, May 13, 1861, a son of Stephen A. and Louisa J. (Wheeler) Fenton, pioneers of the St. Clair river district of Michigan. The grandfather of Mr. Fenton was William Fenton, born at Fort Ticonderoga, N. Y., in 1789. He served in the war of 1812, and in 1840 settled in Michigan, where he died, in 1861. In 1811 he married Rebecca Allen, a niece of Gen. Ethan Allen, who captured Fort Ticonderoga in the war of the Revolution. She was born on the shores of Lake George, in 1795, and died in 1869. Stephen A. Fenton came to Michigan with his parents in 1840 and became a farmer and lumberman.. In 1879 he came to Kansas and bought land in Dickinson county, some fourteen miles northwest of Junction City. He served many years as supervisor in Michigan and as a justice of the peace in Kansas. He died on June 16, 1885. On Jan. 1, 1849, he married, at Richmond, Mich., Louisa J., a daughter of Henry Wheeler. She was born in Portage, N. Y., Sept. 7, 1826, and came to Michigan with her parents in 1846.
Sherwood W. Fenton received his education in the district schools of his native county and was graduated in the New Haven (Mich.) High School. He came to Kansas with his parents, in 1879, and assisted his father on the farm. From 1881 to 1883 he taught school in McDowell's Creek and Alida, and from 1883 to 1886 was employed as bookkeeper by A. D. Schart, of Junction City. In 1886 he entered the employ of Sumner W. Pierce, and on the organization of the Central National Bank, in 1890, accepted a position as bookkeeper. He was promoted to assistant cashier in 1898 and in 1904 was elected cashier, in which capacity he is still serving, and in which he has earned the commendation of the public and the officers of the institution. He has been active in the work of education, for ten years was treasurer of the Junction City board of education, and is secretary of the board of trustees of the George Smith Public Library. He is a charter member of the Junction City Commercial Club and has served as its treasurer. He is a member of Union, Lodge, No. 7, Free and Accepted Masons, at Junction City; Chapter No. 17, Royal Arch Masons, and Commandery No. 43, Knights Templars; and he is treasurer of the last named and also of Union Lodge, and the Eastern Star lodge.
Mr. Fenton married, June 16, 1886, Miss Ada Sampson, a daughter of Thomas H. Sampson, a native of England, who located in Dickinson county, Kansas, in 1879. He was a well known and successful farmer and in early life was a miller. He died in Junction City in 1910. Mr. and Mrs. Fenton are the parents of five children, three of whom are living: Irene, who was a student in Washburn College (Topeka) and in Rockford (Ill.) College, is now a student in the Kansas Agricultural College, department of domestic science; Bess Ione is a graduate of Junction City High School, class of 1911, and Helen Victoria is the youngest. Jean Etta, twin sister of Bess lone, died in 1906, aged fourteen years; a son, Roy Thomas, died in childhood. Mrs. Fenton is a member of the Eastern Star, the Ladies' Reading Club, and the Episcopal church, and is one of Junction City's popular hostesses. (Kansas Biography, Part 2, Vol. III, 1912, Page 827-828 - Transcribed by Millie Mowry)
MILLER, EDWARD PAYSON
Edward Payson Miller, master farmer and graduate pharmacist, was born at Manchester, New Hampshire, January 26, 1877, the son of Albert and Annie Sophia (French) Miller. The father, who was a druggist was born at Providence, Massachusetts, November 16, 1853. The mother born at Manchester, New Hampshire, May 8, 1855 died at Shields, Kansas in October 1915.
Edward Payson Miller attended public school and is a graduate of the Kansas City School of Pharmacy. At the present time he is senior member of the firm of Miller Brothers Drug Store and the owner and manager of the Acme Holstein Dairy. He is a Republican.
On February 7, 1907, Mr. Miller was married to Florence Jane Swenson at Kansas City, Kansas. They have one daughter, Lucilia Mae, born on September 30, 1909 who is married to Melvin Zielasch. She was graduated from high school and from Stephens College for Girls. Mrs. Miller who was born at Junction City on March 12, 1879 was of Swedish and English ancestry.
Mr. Miller is a member of the Chamber of Commerce, the Booster Club, the Elks, Modern Woodmen of America, the Odd Fellows, and the Maccabees. Residence: Junction City. (Illustriana Kansas, by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, Page 799)
PIERCE, SUMMER W.
Summer W. Pierce, of Junction City, president of the Central National Bank and one of that city's leading capitalists, has been identified with various business enterprises which have had a direct and. important bearing upon the development and progress of his adopted city and state. He was born in Cooperstown, N. Y., May 24, 1851, a son of Benjamin and Polly (Bowen) Pierce and a descendant of two old New England families, which were established in America early in the Seventeenth Century. The Pierce family originated with one of that name who settled in Rhode Island and married there. His son, John Pierce, had five sons, the youngest of whom, Mial Pierce, was born in the town of Dover, Dutchess county, New York, in May, 1766. Mial Pierce married Isabel Chase of Pittstown, Rensselaer county, New York, and to them were born thirteen children, the youngest of whom, Benjamin, was the father of Summer W. Pierce. Benjamin Pierce, born, Sept. 30, 1804, married Polly Bowen, who was born Sept. 29, 1808, and lived in Middlefield, Otsego county, New York. The Bowen family was founded in this country by Griffith Bowen, who emigrated from Langerrith, Wales, in 1638, and joined the Massachusetts colony at Roxbury, Mass. His brother, Lieut. Henry Bowen, followed soon after and also settled at Roxbury, where he married a daughter of Isaac Johnson. Lieutenant Bowen fought in the Indian wars of his time, in the company of Isaac Johnson, and later became a promoter of the Connecticut colony. The line of descent, from Lieut. Henry Bowen to Summer W. Pierce, is as follows: Isaac, son of Lieutenant Bowen, was born in Roxbury, Mass., April 20, 1676, and died Jan. 1, 1727; Henry, son of Isaac, was born in Farmington, Mass., June 30, 1700, and died at Woodstock, Conn., Jan. 1, 1758; his son, Silas, was born in Woodstock, Conn., April 7, 1722, and died Feb. 16, 1790; Henry, son of Silas, was born at Eastport, Conn. March 9, 1749, and died Dec. 8, 1830; his son, Henry, known as "Deacon Henry," was born Sept.10, 1780, and settled in Otsego county, New York, where he became an influential farmer. He was the father of Polly Bowen, the mother of Mr. Pierce. The Bowen family has furnished men of prominence in the civil, professional and political life of the country, as well as members who served in the war of the Revolution. Benjamin and Polly (Bowen) Pierce were the parents of thirteen children: Cynthia Ann, born Sept. 25, 1827; Laura Elvira, born March 8, 1829; Henry Bowen, born Sept. 10, 1830; Sabrina M., born Dec. 25, 1831; Horace Milton, born Jan. 5, 1834; Alfred Clark, born Sept. 13, 1835 (see sketch); Elmer Wood, born Nov. 2, 1837; Ellen, born July 29, 1839; Marcia, born May 1, 1841; Silas E., born Jan. 11, 1844; Arthur S., born Feb. 28, 1846; Amy L., born May 5, 1848; and Summer W., born May 24, 1851, is the youngest.
Mr. Pierce was reared in his native town and was educated at Cooperstown Seminary and at St. Lawrence University, Canton, N. Y. Endowed with the proverbial Knickerbocker traits of thrift and industry, and believing in the greater opportunity of Kansas for the young man, he came to this state in 1870 and joined his brother, Alfred C. Pierce, at Junction City, where he began a business career which subsequently became one of exceptional success. He first entered the real estate, loan and insurance office of his brother, Alfred C. Pierce, where he was employed one year; he then, with borrowed capital, established a music, insurance and sewing machine business in a small frame building on his brother's lot, where the Woodman Hall is now located. The first year's business showed the profits on the wrong side, but perseverance is also one of his traits and, besides, he was learning. He was proprietor, bookkeeper, traveling salesman, clerk and janitor, and slept in the back end of his store. Piano sales were slow in those days, and after keeping his first piano in stock several months he traded it for a lot on Washington street, to which lot he removed his store building. The following is an incident illustrating the vicissitudes of a sewing machine salesman in early days. While acting as salesman, one day, he loaded two sewing machines in his covered machine wagon and started north. His first call was at the home of ex-Governor Harvey, where he obtained permission to leave a machine on trial. Being unable, physically, to carry a machine complete, he was obliged to take it apart and deliver it in sections. He intended delivering the other machine at a ranch, several miles north of Milford, but night overtaking him he tied the colt he was driving to the wagon and camped therein. The next morning the colt was found at a farm house, some miles away. A night in a straw stack was of common occurrence. His business prospered, nevertheless, and in 1880 he began making loans on real estate and selling the mortgages in the East. In 1884 he organized the Central Kansas Bank, with a capital of $50,000, and bought the business and fixtures of the J. Monroe Smith Bank. This bank was incorporated under a state charter and Mr. Pierce became its cashier, while his brother, Henry Bowen Pierce, became its president. In 1886 he purchased his brother's interest in the bank and then became its president; this bank was organized as the Central National Bank, in 1890, with a capital of $100,000, and with Mr. Pierce at its head as president, under whose conservative, yet energetic, management it has become known as one of the soundest financial institutions of the state. It has a surplus of $30,000 and deposits of $500,000, and in November, 1910, the business was removed to its new home in the elegant new bank building, just then completed, which is one of the finest of its kind in the State of Kansas. In 1910 was organized the Union State Bank, of which Mr. Pierce is also president. This institution took over the savings business of the Central National Bank, as well as the real estate, loan and insurance business of Mr. Pierce, established by him in 1880. In November, 1908, Mr. Pierce organized the Junction City Creamery & Cold Storage Company, of which he served as president until 1910, when he sold his interests to W. F. Jensen. It is now known as the Jensen Creamery Company and, in 1909, the butter output was 500,000 pounds.
Mr. Pierce is justly credited for the promotion and success of the Junction City Electric Railway, Light & Ice Company, which has done so much for the advancement of the city. He has been a director and treasurer of this company since it was organized, in 1900, and financed the proposition when it required both nerve and capital. The project had long been contemplated, but it was not until Mr. Pierce announced to the small group of men interested in the project that, if a company were organized, with a capital of $80,000, and would pay in 20 per cent., he would cash its bonds to the amount of $60,000, which made it possible to make the dream a fact. The plant was completed and began operations in August, 1901; it was succeeded, in 1909, by the Union Light & Power Company, of which Mr. Pierce is treasurer. He is a director of the Jensen Creamery Company, capitalized at $50,000. Politically he is a Republican, but does not take an active part in party affairs. He is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and of the Church of Christ, Scientist. He has been a resident of Junction City continuously since 1870, except the period from 1890 to 1895, when he removed to Kansas City, Mo., and organized the Provident Loan-Trust Company, of which he became president, and during all of those years his energies have been directed toward the development and progress of his community, not only in a commercial way, but also in every way which would contribute to the general public welfare. He therefore richly deserves the stronghold which he has upon the confidence and esteem of his fellow citizens and business associates.
On Jan. 14, 1874, Mr. Pierce was united in marriage to Miss Anna E. Manley, a daughter of Charles Manley, a merchant of Buffalo, N. Y. Mrs. Pierce came to Kansas in 1870 with her mother and brother. To Mr. and Mrs. Pierce have been born four children: Lulu Belle, born Dec. 30, 1875, is the wife of Hale P. Powers, a salesman for the Jensen Creamery Company of Junction City; Horace Manley, born Aug. 25, 1882, is cashier of the Union State Bank and assistant cashier of the Central National Bank of Junction City; Charles Sumner, born in October, 1874, died in April, 1877, and Clarence Earl died in infancy. Mrs. Pierce is a woman of charming grace and culture and their beautiful residence on the hill, known as "Sumner Hall," is the scene of many social gatherings, where their hospitality is greatly enjoyed by their many friends. (Kansas Biography, Part 2, Vol. III, 1912, Pages 1056-1058, Transcribed as written by, Millie Mowry. A picture of Mr. Pierce may be obtained by contacting the contributor at email@example.com)
SHANE, EDWARD HARRISON
Edward Harrison Shane, merchant, was born in Junction City, Kansas, September 17, 1889, son of James Williamson and Amanda (Brown) Shane. James Williamson Shane, who was a farmer and who served as commissioner of streets, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, September 7, 1854, and died at Junction City, July 3,1930. He was descended from Irish and German settlers in America about 1600. Amanda Brown was born in Lacon, Illinois, August 20, 1857, of Scotch-Irish ancestry. She is still living, and resides in Junction City.
Educated first in elementary schools, Edward Harrison Shane attended Junction City High School from which he was graduated in 1911. He attended Kansas Wesleyan Business School for a short term and has taken some correspondence work from Kansas University. He was valedictorian of his class in high school, active in debate and a member of the football team in 1909, 1910 and 1911.
For seven and a half years, after leaving school Mr. Shane was employed in the Post Office Department, under the Civil Service, with positions from clerk to foreman of office forces. For five and a half years he was the owner of a grocery store, and for the past nine years has been the owner and operator of a book and gift store. He is a Repbulican.
On February 6, 1 913, he was united in marriage to Anna Ora McIntyre at Arlington. She was born in Ballington, Minnesota, August 27, 1892, the daughter of the Reverend and Mrs. Lewis McIntyre, both of whom came from Glasgow, Scotland. Mr. and Mrs. Shane have one daughter, Jean McIntyre, born August 29, 1922. The child is now in school and specializing in the study of music and dancing. Mr. Shane holds the rank of first lieutenant in the Reserve Officers training Corps at the present time. He is a member of the Reserve Officers Association, the Red Cross, the Chamber of Commerce, the Lions Club, the Masons (Consistory) the Shrine, and the Junction City Country Club. He is an elder and superintendent of Sunday School in the First Presbyterian Church of Junction City. His favorite sport is golf. His hobbies are philately and numismatics. Residence: Junction City. (Illustriana Kansas, by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, page 1040)
TYLER, D. WALDO
D. Waldo Tyler. A publication of this nature exercises its most important function when it takes cognizance of the life and labors of those citizens who have risen to prominence and prosperity through their own well directed efforts, and who have been of material value in furthering the advancement and development of the commonwealth. Mr. Tyler has been a resident of Junction City since 1893 and has been actively identified with several enterprises which have been of great assistance to the growth of the city. The interurban railway, connecting the city with Fort Riley, is in a great measure the result of his efforts and initiative.
D. Waldo Tyler is a native of Massachusetts and was born in Worcester, June 22, 1836, son of Moody and Betsey (Barker) Tyler. His ancestors, paternal and maternal, were among the early settlers of America, and numbered among them are men who achieved distinction in the frontier life of those early days, in the commercial era which followed, in the French and Indian wars, and later in the war of independence. Moody Tyler, the father, was a paper maker by trade and for many years was the superintendent of the great Berkshire-Mills, at Dalton, Mass., owned by the Cranes, and which, since an early day, have manufactured the paper on which our National bank notes are printed. Moody Tyler died in Dalton, Mass., in 1869.
D. Waldo Tyler was educated in the public schools of Dalton, Mass., was subsequently apprenticed to the machinist's trade, and was employed as a journeyman machinist, in Dalton and Worcester, from 1856 to 1859. In the latter year he was sent to Louisiana, to erect a cotton manufacturing plant, and remained there until the outbreak of hostilities, in 1861, when he returned to Dalton, and shortly afterward entered the United States armory, at Springfield, Mass., as a machinist. In the spring of 1862 he was detailed as inspector in the inspection service of contract arms, in which capacity he visited the various factories then having United States contracts for making Springfield muskets. An opportunity
was offered him, in 1864, to engage in farming, and he resigned from this service, removed to Minnesota, and located near Chatfield, Olmstead county. In 1867 he was offered and accepted the foremanship of the Winona & St. Peter railway shops, at Winona, Minn., and in 1869 accepted a similar position in the St. Paul & Pacific railway shops. In 1870 he removed to St. Paul, where he became the master mechanic of the Southern Minnesota railway, now a part of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul system. This position he resigned, in 1871, to become the superintendent of a mill machinery and engine manufacturing plant, at Dubuque, Iowa, at that time the largest industrial concern in that state. He remained in this position for sixteen years, when he resigned, in order to engage in business for himself. In 1886 he located in Marion Junction, Turner county, South Dakota, where he built a flouring mill, which he operated until 1893, and while a resident of South Dakota was elected a member of the first legislature of that state, on the Republican ticket. In 1893 he came to Kansas, located in Junction City, and there resumed his milling, enterprise. He built the Aurora Flouring Mills, and has succeeded in establishing an extensive and successful business. Since its establishment its growth has necessitated trebling the capacity of the plant, and the products are placed in both domestic and foreign markets. In the latter '90s Mr. Tyler became convinced that an electric railway to Fort Riley would be of great benefit to Junction City and began the work of education necessary to secure capital and a representative group of organizers. Some two years elapsed before he was able to convince persons possessing capital of the profits and benefits possible from the venture. He secured the active assistance of H. H. Ziegler, S. W. Pierce and Dr. C. K. Raber, and they promoted the organization of the Junction City Railway, Light & Ice Company, having for its object the building and operation of an interurban line to Fort Riley, the manufacture of ice, and electricity for light purposes. The line was completed and the first car was placed in operation, Aug.10, 1901. In the building of the power house for the company Mr. Tyler again became a master mechanic. Plans for necessary equipment were drawn under his supervision and he purchased and installed the machinery. Dr. Raber, who had been elected president at the time of organization, had been forced to resign on account of ill health previous to the completion of the plant, and Frank E. Tyler, son of D. Waldo Tyler, succeeded him and became the first operating president. The original company, in which Mr. Tyler was a large stockholder and director, was succeeded, in 1909, by the Union Light &.Power Company, of which, he is also a director. Mr. Tyler has large stock interests in the Dewey Portland Cement Company, of Dewey, Okla., of which his son, Frank E., is president and general manager, and another son, Herbert F., is superintendent. Mr. Tyler was one of the organizers of the Junction City Commercial Club and is an active member.
On July 26, 1861, Mr. Tyler was married to Miss Harriett M. Freeman, daughter of Jesse R. Freeman, a pioneer farmer of Chatfield, Minn., and previously a mason contractor at Cleveland, Ohio. To them have been born four children: Herbert Ferre, born Feb. 4, 1865, is superintendent of the Dewey Portland Cement Company, at Dewey, Okla.; Frederick Waldo, born Sept. 6, 1866, died May 16, 1893, survived by his widow and two children--Marjorie, born Dec. 3, 1887, and Harold, born May 15, 1889; Frank E., the third son, born March 29, 1869, is president and general manager of the Dewey Portland Cement Company, and resides in Kansas City, Mo.; Wilma Jessie May, the only daughter, is a graduate of the Chicago Musical College and one of the most accomplished and gifted musicians in Kansas. As a harpist she has received high commendation and her studies on this instrument have been under Mme. Chatterton and Profs. Wonderly and Schuecker, of Chicago. Mrs. Tyler is a woman of wide culture and refinement and .is popular in the social circles of Junction City, in which she is a leader. Mr. Tyler is in all respects a high type of the conservative, unassuming American, diligent in his various duties and commercial affairs, and conscientious in all things. He has realized a large and substantial success in the commercial world, results obtained through his own well directed efforts and by methods which have been clean, capable and honest, and he is possessed of a well earned popularity and the esteem which comes from honorable living. On July 26, 1911, Mr. and Mrs. Tyler celebrated their Golden Wedding, at their residence in Junction City. (Kansas Biography, Part 2, Vol. III, 1912 Page 828-830 - Transcribed by Millie Mowry)