Geary County, Kansas



Junction City, Kas., Oct. 4 - A gold star service flag containing a star for each of the twenty-eight Junction City and Geary County boys who died in the service is to be dedicated tomorrow at the Tenth Street Community House. Dr. F. W. O'Donnell, formerly surgeon of the 89th Division, with rank of Lieutenant Colonel, will make the address of acceptance. (The Weekly Kansas City Star, October 5, 1919)

Kansas Woman Cruelly Slain Near Junction City
Her Throat Cut from Ear to Ear After a Desperate Struggle - Shrouded in Mystery

Junction City, Kan. Dec. 17 - Junction City and vicinity was shocked this morning with a second edition of the Collins murder case, only one more horrible, if that is possible. Mrs. George Craig, a young married woman about 30 years old, who has been keeping house six miles northwest of town for a resident of Junction City named John Krebs, who is farming there, was murdered late Friday afternoon at the farm house. Her throat was cut from ear to ear and then her neck cut around, leaving the bone to support the head. Her hands showed that a struggle had taken place, and that the butcher knife had been drawn through her hands, cutting the palms. Her hands and face showed no marks of violence. As yet the tragedy is shrouded in mystery. Krebs is accused of having been living with the woman and the wife of Krebs is said to have been very jealous of her.

Mrs. Krebs walked out to the farm on the afternoon of the murder, staid there with the murdered woman from 2:30 to 4 o'clock, and then walked back to town. Krebs was in the field husking corn and at 5 o'clock came in and found Mrs. Craig dead and gave the alarm to two young men, who were at the stable, when he came in from the field. No arrests have been made as yet, but the case is being thoroughly sifted. The guilt seems to rest between Mr. and Mrs. Krebs and the two young men. George Craig, the husband of the murdered woman, is in Ponca City, O. T., and her mother is Mrs. L. E. Layton of Lenape, Kan. (Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital, December 20, 1898, page 2)


Posses Searching for Four Soldiers Who Staged Holdup Last Night

Believed Two of the Assailants Shot in Fight; Car Found at St. Mary's

Junction City, Kans., Jan. 9 - Posses of police officers and civilians from Junction City and Topeka searched all night for four Fort Riley soldiers, who last evening, slugged and shot I. T. Clinkenbeard, local service car driver, who was driving the men from Junction City to Fort Riley.

As Clinkenbeard neared the military post, he was hit on the head by one of the men. He drew a revolver and shot and it is believed he hit one of the men. The men took the gun away from him and shot him in the hand. Clinkenbeard then drew another revolver and shot one of his assilants in the abdomen. The men threw him from the machine and drove eastward.

Clinkenbeard reported to the Fort Riley officers, who with the radio, broadcast the alarm. At St. Marys the occupants of the car exchanged shots with a number of citizens and later it was found abandoned near there. No trace of the men has been found, however. (El Dorado Times, Wednesday, January 9, 1924)


The Body of Mrs. Craig Found in Her Home Near Junction City

Junction City, Kas., Dec. 17---Mrs. Lizzie Craig, who was keeping house for John Krebs on a farm six miles north of this place, was found in the house with her head nearly severed from her body last night by Krebs when he came in from husking corn. The sheriff was notified and a coroner's jury is now investigating the matter. No arrests have yet been made. Two or three persons are suspected of the murder.
(Kansas City Star ~ December 17, 1898)


Chicago, April 23---Last night James Culbertson, an ex-city employee, shot and killed his wife and sent a bullet into his own breast. He is in the hospital and will die. The couple had lived unhappily and Mrs. Culbertson left her husband some time ago. He had repeatedly threatened to kill her. Culbertson came from Chambersburg, Pa., and his wife, who was a pretty woman, was, before her marriage, Lillian McCormick of Junction City, Kas.
(Kansas City Star ~ April 23, 1896)


CAMP FUNSTON, Kansas, Jan. 12---With the finding late today of the body of Capt. Lewis R. Whisler of Salina, Kansas, in his tiny office at the national army cantonment here, the last chapter was written in the bloody story of the looting last night of the army bank and the subsequent murder of four men and seriously wounding of a fifth. The murders were committed with a hand ax.

Capt. Whisler killed himself, firing two shots from a regulation army service rifle into his head. The first bullet glanced downward through one cheek, but the other went true and lodged in his brain. The suicide followed a general order from headquarters instructing all captains at the cantonment to report and have their finger prints taken.

A note was left by the army officer addressed to a woman, whose name the authorities so far have declined to divulge. The note said: "have been thinking of committed suicide for a long time, but I have never had a good reason. Yesterday I went and made myself a reason."

The room in which Capt. Whislers body was found was smeared with blood spots. Where he had washed himself apparently after the murders last night there was much blood. Two blood-soaked towels were found inthe room and the table was spotted with it.

Capt. Whisler borrowed two hatchets from a supply company yesterday, according to officials, and he borrowed two more today.

Wornall, who recovered consciousness this morning, told the authorities that the murderer was an army captain, whose face he recognized and who, he said, was a close friend of C. Fulton Winters, of Kansas City, head of the army hank, one of the men killed. As a result of Wornall's statement, a general check of army officers was begun. This afternoon the order that all captains should report and have their finger prints taken was issued.

Wornall, in describing the murders, said a man came to the door of the bank about 8:30 o'clock last night and rapped insistently. He was admitted and, covering the five men with his revolver, forced Wornall to tie the hands of the four men, after which he tied Wornall's hands. The man then proceeded to loot the bank safe, and had reached the door when Winters said to Wornall:

"You recognize him, don't you?"

Wornall answered that he did.

The murderer turned to Winters and said:

"You know me, do you?"

"I sure do, you black scoundrel," was Winters' reply.

Wornall says at this point the man hesitated, and then suddenly leaped at the five men, swinging his hand ax. He struck the helpless men down, one by one. Wornall was the last struck. When he recovered consciousness he managed to untie his hands and made his way into the open air, where he was discoverd by a sentry.
(Jonesboro Evening Sun ~ January 17, 1918)

Back at Fort Riley

Junction City, Kan.—The Seventh regiment of cavalry under the command of Col. Frederick J. Ward, arrived at Fort Riley Wednesday, having made a night march from Manhattan. The regiment marched to St.Joseph, Mo., for the military tournament. Immediately after the maneuvers at Riley. The troops have been away from the post a month. Troop A of the regiment, which remained at the post for duty, left Wednesday on a 250-mile march to Wichita where It will take part In the fall festivities.Alma, Wabaunsee County, Kansas October 16, 1908 Page 1, submitted by Barbara Ziegenmeyer)

A Mr. Buchanan was shot through the heart by one of a party of Texans, at Junction City, Kansas, recently. The villans escaped. (Jackson Citizen Patriot, November 24, 1869, page 3)


Shot by a Bystander and the City Marshal of a Kansas Town

Junction City, Kan., Nov. 18 - An unidentified soldier from Fort Riley tonight shot and killed two men on the street here. The soldier, who is supposed to be a saddler at the fort, approached R. E. L. Cooper in the middle of the street and with an oath fired a pistol at him. The ball entered the right temple and Cooper died an hour later.

City Marshal James White, who was near by, started for the scene but was shot by the soldier before he got off the sidewalk. White died a few minutes after being shot. The soldier continued shooting until his revolver was empty. He then turned and walked down the street swinging his revolver above his head and shouting: "I want to die!" "I want to die."

The murderer has not been captured, but is known to the authorities who are organizing posses and making a search for him. (Sun, November 19, 1901, page 2)


Junction City, Kas., Nov. 18 - An unidentified soldier from Fort Riley shot and killed two men on the street here today. The soldier approached R. E. L. Cooper in the middle of the street and with an oath fired a pistol at him. The ball entered the right temple and Cooper died an hour later. City Marshal James White, who was near by, started for the scene, but was shot before he got off the sidewalk. The ball entered the base of the neck severing an artery. White died a few moments after being shot. The murderer has not yet been captured. (Idaho Stateman, November 19, 1901, page 2)


After Running Wild and Killing Two Kansas Policemen

Junction City, Kan., Nov. 21 - W. D. Buchanan of Troop D, Fourteenth cavalry located at Fort Riley, near here who killed Policeman White and Cooper Tuesday night, was found dead in his cell today. Buchanan had hanged himself with a towel.

Tuesday night Buchanan ran wild through the streets shooting at every one he passed. The two officers were killed while trying to arrest him. He was arrested the next day when he was found hiding in a stable in the fort. (Grand Rapids Press, November 21, 1901, page 1)


Soldier Locked up by Insane Sergeant on Imaginary Murder Charge

Junction City, Kansas - Marched to the guard house by an insane man and locked up by him on the charge of murder was the expereince of Serg. Land, Troop M., Thirteenth Cavalry.

Land was sent from quarters to the hospital in charge of Serg. P. C. Souder of the same troop, who has been irrational for several days.

Souder marched Land into the guardhouse, committed him to the sergeant of the guard and had him locked up on a murder charge. The mistake was not discovered for some time. Souder is now in the hospital. (Wichita Searchlight, December 23, 1911, page 2)


Russel Record: The president of the board of education of Junction City is a woman - Mrs. H.L. Pierce, wife of Capt. A.C. Pierce. (Western Kansas World, June 20, 1885, submitted by K. T.)


Strangled Himself to Death With a Towel in His Cell

Junction City, Kas., Nov. 21 – W. D. Buchanan of Troop D. Fourteenth cavalry, located at Fort Riley, who killed Policemen White and Cooper here on Tuesday night, was found dead in his cell this morning. Buchanan had committed suicide by hanging, having made a rope of a towel. The dead body was found when the sheriff sent in the prisoner’s breakfast.

Buchanan ran wild through the streets shooting a ever one as he passed. There was no cause for the killing of the officers. (The Guthrie Daily Leader; Guthrie, OK; November 21, 1901 - Transcribed as Written by D. Donlon)



At half past three o'clock, Thursday afternoon, our town was startled by word that a colored man had been shot. Repairing to the spot, on Fifth street, just East of Boller's lumber yard, we found the murdered man in the agonies of death.

From what we can learn, it grew out of a quarrel between the children of Doc Overbee and a sister of Hilliard Morrow. Thursday afternoon, Morrow went to the house of Overbee, and engaged in an altercation with the wife of Overbee, and another woman. It is said that Morrow had a pistol in his possession, at this time. Overbee went out and demonstrated with Morrow on the language he was using, and the latter remarked he was bould to have revenge. Overbee then went into the house to get his pistol, remarking that if revenge was what he wanted, he could have it. His wife, however, persuaded him not to take his pistol. He then went out again, and told Morrow to get off his premises, and he began to back away into the street, Overbee following him up, threatening to whip him if he did not leave. When about in the middle of the street, Morrow told Overbee not to come any farther or he would shoot him. This warning was disregarded, and the threat was carried out, Overbee being shot in the middle of the breast, a little higher up than the heart. They then clinched, Overbee throwing Morrow, and holding him until he became weak from loss of blood. Morrow then loosed himself from Overbee's grap, and surrendered himself, claiming that he fired the shot in self-defense.

The greatest indignation exists among the colored population, but no violence is to be apprehended.
(The Leavenworth Weekly ~ From the Junction City Union ~ June 19, 1873)

A colored man named Morrow shot and killed another colored man by the name of Overbee, at Junction City, Thursday. The row grew out of some difficulty between the children of the pareties at school.
(The Weekly Kansas Chief ~ June 26, 1873 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


On the first of September, 1884, Geo. W. Harris and his wife, Mary A. Harris, executed their note to -----, mortgagee, or order, in the sum of $800.  This note was payable on the 1st day of September, 1889, with interest at the rate of 7 per cent, payable semi-annually, but if not paid when due, both note and interest coupons were to draw 12 per cent.  Said note was secured by a mortgage on 160 acres of land in Geary county, described as follows:  The northeast quarter of section 1, township 12, range 6.  Harris paid two and a half years interest, amounting to $140, and defaulted on the interest coupon due Sept. 1, 1887.

On the 8th of August, 1888, the mortgagee commenced a foreclosure suit against Harris and wife in the district court of Geary county, and obtained judgment for the amount due on principal and interest, which sum amounted to  $1,051.20, and costs of suit.  On the 8th of April, 1889, an order of sale was issued by the district clerk of Geary Co., directed to the sheriff, commanding him to sell the mortgaged land, without appraisement, to the highest bidder.

May 25, 1889, the sheriff sold said land to the mortgagee for the sum of $100.  The costs of clerk and sheriff amounted to $36.38, which left a credit to Harris and wife of $63.62.  In other words, it appears from the journal of the court and the records in the case that the account between said parties stands as follows:

Mortgagee is the owner of the 160 acres valued at three times the amount of loan, basis on which all real estate loans are made......      
Mortgagee received interest on loan.............................................      
Mortgagee still has a judgment against Harris and wife, after deducting credit allowed on sale of land.......................................      
This makes a grand total..............................................................       $3527.58

The judgment of $987.58 has drawn interest at 12 per cent since date of judgment.

At the October term, 1889, the motion of the plaintiff came on to be heard before Judge Nicholson who, after an examination of the papers, remarked that the price paid for the land appeared to be inadequate, and he took the matter under consideration.  After due deliberation and ample time to consider the matter, and during said October term he confirmed the sale, and ordered the sheriff to make a deed to the purchaser, the mortgagee.  He further allowed a writ of assistance to place the mortgagee in possession provided Harris and wife, or any claiment under them, refused to surrender the premises.

The case is No. 1916, and the order confirming the sale, and granting writ of assistance is recorded in journal D, page 273.  Any one who doubts this plain statement of facts can satisfy himself by examining the records.

Alliance men, what thinkest thou?
(Abilene Weekly Reflector ~ October 29, 1891)

William O. Kenndy, youngest son of Mrs. Dr. Kennedy, met with a serious accident last Monday afternoon.  He was out gunning near Kansas Falls.  A shot-gun was discharged accidentally, the full charge passing through his right arm above the elbow.  He was brought home Tuesday.  Drs. Hays and Daughterty have him in charge, and will make an effort to save the arm.  It is a very sad and unfortunate accident.  The young lad bears up bravely.
(Junction City Union ~ Saturday ~ February 27, 1886 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


FORT RILEY --- Three Japanese prisoners from World War II who died at a U.S. Army hospital in Colorado and were buried in Kansas 40 years ago will begin their journey home Monday.

The remains of the sailors will be exhumed, cremated and sent to relatives in Japan, said John Matthews, spokesman for the office of the consulate general of Japan in Kansas City, Mo.

The three prisoners of war were in the Japanese Navy and crewmen on the submarine Ro No. 61.

They were imprisoned at Camp Carson in Colorado, died Oct. 29, 1944, at Fitzsimons Army Medical Center in suburban Denver, and were buried at Camp Carson, according to Army records.

Neither Matthews nor Fort Riley spokesman Capt. John Haire could explain how the three Japanese died the same day.

A Fitzsimons spokesman said that it was "an oddity" all would die the same day when only 11 POW deaths occurred in 1944.

As part of the Army's consolidation of POW remains, their graves were transferred to Fort Riley Jan. 23, 1946.

The post cemetery also includes the remains of 64 German POWs and 11 Italian POWs, Haire said.  The military conducts a memorial service for them annually.

A member of Japan's Self-Defense Forces studying in the United States happened upon the graves during a tour of Fort Riley in 1963.  He took a photograph of the headstones and forwarded them to the Japanese Ministry of Health and Welfare to see whether there was any interest in having the remains sent to Japan.

Matthews said he did not know why it took 23 years to decide to return the remains to Japan, but said most of the work has taken place in the past two years.

Survivors of the POWs were located through the ministry with help from the Army, he said.

"The families in Japan pay for the return and the cremation."
(Hutchinson News ~ June 27, 1986)


Junction City, Kas., Feb. 6 --- Word has been received at Fort Riley that two large barracks will be erected at Fort Riley this spring.  One of the barracks will be for cavalry and the other for artillery.  Another ward will also be erected at the hospital.
(Topeka State Journal ~ Thursday ~ February 6, 1902)


Fort Riley --- Two Fort Riley units at Marshall U.S. Army Air Field have been transferred to Hawaii.  Approximately 180 men, members of the 81st Transportation Company and 545th Transportation Detachment, an aircraft maintenance unit, are to be relocated at Wheeler Air Force Base, Hawaii, by September 18.

Six of the 81st's twenty helicopters were due to leave this week.  They are being flown to Alameda Naval Air Station, California, where they are prepared to be shipped by aircraft carrier to Hawaii.  Enlisted men and officers who are not married will go with the helicopters on the carrier.  Air and boat plans for transporting married men and dependents have not been finalized.

It is believed that the mission of the 81st in Hawaii will be much like that it has had at Fort Riley since its organization here in September 1957, that of Division support.  It will be located near the 25th Infantry Division there.  The 81st uses the giant H-21 helicopters.

During the Kansas snowstorms of 1948, the 81st played an important part in saving Western Kansas livestock as aviators used their skills and helicopters to carry hay to stranded animals.  The 545th teamed up with 81st, and Fort Riley's 71st Transportation Battalion, to perform evacuation missions during the Nebraska flood of 1960.  For the latter public service the men of the units were given membership in the honorary "Nebraska Navy."

Major Bruce O. Ehlenfeldt commands the 81st, and the 545th is commanded by Capt. Edward H. Bauerband, Jr.
(Manhattan Mercury ~ August 24, 1961 ~ Page 2)



A Fort Riley soldier died this morning, the result of stab wounds inflicted during a barracks argument.

Dead is Pvt. Terry F. Horsley, 19, Co. C, 8th Inf.

He is the son of Vernon A. Horsley, Box 909, McKee Road, Castle Rock, Wash., and Mrs. Jane H. Horsley, Kelso, Wash.

He was stabbed by Pvt. Robert B. Sylvester, 21, also of Co. C.  Sylvester is the son of Mrs. Victoria N. Sylvester, 420A Lafayette Ave., Brooklyn, N.Y.

According to initial reports, by investigating military officers, the two men got into an argument in their barracks about 7 a.m. this morning.  As a result of the argument, Sylvester stabbed Horsley with a knife twice in the upper left chest.

Horsley was taken to Irwin Hospital at Fort Riley, where he was pronounced dead at 7:19 a.m.

Sylvester is currently in the custody of the Military Police at Ft. Riley.

Hosley enlisted in the army in 1961 and took his basic training at Ft. Riley.  He was assigned as a light weapons infantryman with Co. C.
(Manhattan Mercury ~ Friday February 16, 1962)


Fort Riley ---- Pvt. Robert B. J. Sylvester, was found guilty of negligent homicide by a General Court Mortial that convened at Fort Riley to try the case.  He was tried for the February 16, 1962, fatal stabbing of Pvt. Terry F. Horsley.  The incident took place in the barracks where the two men were housed.

Pvt. Sylvester was sentenced to one year of confinement at hard labor, is to receive a bad conduct discharge and is to forfeit all pay and allowances.  The sentence is subject to review and approval by higher authority.

The soldier was tried on a charge of murder by the eight man court but the verdict of guilty on the lesser offense was reached after it was brought out that Pvt. Sylvester had been assaulted by the victim while the defendant was cleaning his nails with a knife.
(Manhanttan Mercury ~ Aprl 16, 1962)


Fort Riley, Kan. --- Charles D. Bailey, Jr., 24, whose father lives in Kahoka, Mo., has been promoted to first Lieutenant at Fort Riley, Kan., where he is serving with the 1st Division's 26th Infantry.

Lieutenant Bailey, a weapons platoon leader in the 26th Infantry's Company B, 1st Battalion, entered the Army in July 1963.

The lieutenant was graduated from Decatur (Ala.) high school in 1958 and received his bachelor of science degree from Florence (Ala.) State College in 1962.  His wife, Glenette, is with him at Fort Riley.
(Keokuk, IA, Tri-State News ~ February 20, 1964)


Fort Riley --- Construction work in progress at the Fort Riley Cemetery will make available an additional 550 burial plots.

Filling the ravine with earch will yield 400 additional plots, realignment of road within the cemetery gives 100 plots and relocating the water line 50 plots.  The work also includes the removal of a few trees and landscaping the project for more beauty.

There is an average of 60 burials per year, therefore there will be sufficient plots for 22 years, including the present area being utilized.

The cost for the project is estimated between $7,000 and $8,000.  The Building and Grounds Division, Post Engineers, are carrying out the project.  The work will be done in intervals based on the work load of other functions, and should be completed by June, weather permitting.
(Manhattan Mercury ~ March 10, 1968)


FORT RILEY, Kas. --- Suppose you happen to be visiting a cemetery --- and you just happen to notice a gravestone dated July 3, 1861.  That's old, yes.  Lots of old headstones around.

But suppose you are shocked out of your peaceful reverie when you notice that the name on the headstone is that of your long-lost great-grandfather!

That is just what happened to S-Sgt. Major Alfred E. Thomas of the Fifth United States Army Noncommissioned Officer's academy, Fort Riley.

But to make the strange coincidence seem even more unlikely, SSM Thomas was born on the Island of Jersey, Channel Islands, Great Britain, and his maternal great-grandfather, John Perchard, also of Great Britain, had been lost for many years with his whereabouts unknown.

Thomas' family never knew the circumstances of John Perchard's death.  SSM Thomas found the grave at the Fort Riley cemetery, Sunday, April 13, when his wife, Paula, noticed the stone monument with information on it proving that it was the grave of his great-grandfather John Perchard of Channel Islands, Great Britain.

Thomas traces his lineage from a very long line of soldiers killed in action.  Many of history's well-known conflicts have claimed the lives of his warrior relatives.  For example, another maternal great-grandfather, Charles Perchard, was killed in the Russian Crimean war --- the location of his place of burial is unknown.

In the Napoleonic war, his paternal great-grandfather, red Thomas, was killed at Waterloo.

A great-uncle, Robert, was killed at Khartoum, Sudan.  His place of burial is also unknown.

During World War II, another uncle, William, was killed at Ypres, France in 1919, and Thomas' father was killed at Verdun in 1914.

The second World War claimed three of Thomas' cousins.
(Salina Journal ~ April 23, 1969 ~ Page 10)


FORT RILEY --- Taps will sound Sunday, Nov. 16, over the graves in Fort Riley's post cemetery.

But there will be a difference.

The observance will be the German Memorial Day ceremony and the honored graves will be those of Germans, Japanese and Italian soldiers who died while prisoners of war held in the United States during World War 2.

There 62 German graves, 3 of Japanese soldiers and 12 holding the bodies of Italian soldiers.

Each  year, German liaison personnel and students of the Command and General Staff college, Ft. Leavenworth, conduct the tribute to their comrades in arms.

The 11:45 ceremony, to which the public is invited, will include a short talk, a prayer, wreath-laying, a firing squad salute and taps.

Expected to attend from Ft. Leavenworth are Col. Helmut Zedlick, Maj. Jens Prause, Maj. Klaus Reinhardt and M-Sgt. p. Aschenbrenner, all of Germany; Col. Hideki Suzuki, Lt. Cols. Keizo Shigematsu and Hiromi Shirouzu, Japan, and Maj. Sergio Siracusa, Italy.
(Salina Journal ~ Sunday ~ Nov. 2, 1975 ~ Page 15)


Industry Woman Saw Plenty of Trouble

Industry, Kan., Sept. 23 --- W. Need returned with his aged mother from Oklahoma.  She went out with her two sons, Frank and George, to Terre Haute and has returned like Naomi of the Bible history bereft of her boys.  George's little boy was born with paralysis and died.  The shock and the hot weather and George's grief over his baby's death made him an easy prey.  Frank, who left years ago on account of heart failure took care of them, but the shock of his brother's death and baby's was too much.  He fell dead just after his brother's burial and was buried next morning.  W. Need took his aged mother, who had been unable to help the boys, up to the cars and brought her home, a two days' journey.  She came out in a wagon on a couch from Junction City.  The poor old lady is ery feeble, but knows her old friends yet.
(Abilene Weekly Reflector ~ September 30, 1909 ~ Page 1)


GERTRUDE  BOBRING --- Was born in Junction City in 1915.  She spent several years of her life in St. Louis, Mo., before starting her school career in Junction.  While in high school, she has been a member of G.A.A., Girl Reserve Club, S.E.A., Pep Club, Quil & Scroll.  She has also taken an active part in intramurals, especially basketball.  The college which she will attend is undecided because she does not know whether she wants to take a physical education course or a commercial course.

ROBERT  FRY --- Was born on Dec. 19, 1912, in Junction City.  He has attended school in Junction City for fourteen years and while he has been in high school he has been active in Hi-Y, football and intramurals.  He does not plan to go to college.  This summer he is planning to work at the Woolworth store.

CHARLES  FILBY --- Who played a lead in the senior play this year, was born on March 4, 1915 in Junction City.  "I attended school all twelve years in this block," he stated.  While in high school he has been active in intramurals and Hi-Y.  He doesn't think he will go to college but plans a trip to Tennessee this summer.

BERNICE  FLANAGAN --- was also born in Junction City.  She was born on May 9, 1904.  She has attended schools in Junction City for twelve years but only one in this high school.  She may attend Williams Woods college in Missouri.  She will work this summer.  While in the Junction City high school, she has been active in Girl Reserve club, Pep Club and glee club.

ESTHER  ERICSON -- Who came here last year, was born in Fort Snelling, Minn., June 2, 1915.  She may attend college at either Kansas State College or Stevens.  She will visit in Wisconsin this summer.

RAYMOND  DEVENNEY --- Born in Junction City, Oct. 9, 1916, has attended the Junction City schools for twelve years.  He has not decided what college he will attend but it will possibly be Kansas University.  He plans to go to Wichita this summer.  He has been active in debate and was vice president of the National Forensic League of the school.  He was in the boys glee club and is on The Blue Jay staff.
(The Blue Jay ~ Junction City, KS ~ Wednesday ~ May 10, 1933 ~ Page 2)

Back to Index Page

Copyright © to Kansas Genealogy Trails' Geary County host & all Contributors
  All rights reserved