Greenwood  County



Kansas Outlaw Has Been Murdered by Comrades He Betrayed

Wichita, Kan., June 21---Because he threatened to betray secrets of vital interest, William Tackett was assassinated by members of the Algood outlaw gang some time last week. His body has just been found in a straw stack five miles south of this town. The information which Tackett had volunteered to give away had already preceeded him to town and is now in Sheriff Simons' hands. Tackett had seven gunshot wounds in his back. A note signed by the "Algood gang" was found in Tackett's pocket. It read, "Beware of anyone who wants to confess. Death to traitors!"

The confession of Tackett says in part: "For the clemency you have offered me, I will say that I know who are the real murderers of Joe New in Greenwood county in 1897. They were Frank Algood, Al Hallard and Bill Turner. Mrs. New and Joe Dobbs, who were convicted of the murder, are innocent." (Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


Six Injured and Heavy Damage Done by Kansas Fire

EMPORIA, KANS., March 25---One man was killed and six injured, two severely, in a $100,000 fire last night at Madison, a Greenwood county oil town, according to work reaching here today. Harvey Martin, a garage mechanic, was burned to death in a garage in which he worked. (Montgomery Advertiser ~ March 26, 1923 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


Robert Clark of Greenwood County, Kansas, was murdered a short time since by three brutes who are supposed to have been Missouri bushwhackers. The murders who were on horseback rode up to Clark's house about the middle of the afternoon and inquired of Clark the way to a neighbors. Clark who was nursing a child went to the door to give the desired information and as he raised his right arm to indicate the direction he was shot through the heart by one of the ruffians. death ensued immediately. Clark was one of the most respectable citizens of Greenwood county, had served as Treasurer of the county and had been solider in the Twelfth Kansas regiment. He leaves a wife and several children to mourn his untimely death. His murderer is supposed to be "Wash" Petty, who was once a neighbor of his in Greenwood county, and between whom there had been some difficulty relative to a claim. Petty has been absent from Greenwood since the year 1861 and has served in the rebel army and bushwhacked in Missouri. The murderer is supposed to be this Petty and his accomplices are believed to be some old bushwhacking comrades. (Oregonian, July 12, 1866, page 2, submitted by Peggy Thompson)


Gang Which has Made Murder and Pillage its Business Arrested

Murder of Joseph New

Real Criminals, it is Said, Now Caught - Story Discredited in Eureka.

Kansas City, Mo., March 29 - The Star prints a three-column sotry regarding the arrest of a remarkable gang of Kansas criminals who have for years lived by means of robbery and murder. One of the gang is believed to be the murderer of Joseph New, who was killed in Greenwood County, state of Kansas, two years ago for which crime New's wife and George H. Dobbs are now serving life sentences. So firmly does Warden Landis of the Kansas Penitentiary believe in the innocence of Mrs. New and Dobbs that he will immediately urge Gov. Stanley to pardon them.

Frank Altgood, alleged to be the real murderer is in jail at Iola, Kan., under a charge of forgery. Alvin Ballard, serving an eight year sentence in the Kansas Penitentiary for horse stealing has confessed that he, Altgood and "Bill" Turner were the murderers of New and that Mrs. New and Dobbs are innocent. Turner has not been found. It seems that the men who murdered New and robbed his dead body conspired afterward to convict the widow and Dobbs. The supposed murderer, Altgood, according to Ballard, even tried to get on the jury which convicted them.

Ballard says that he, Altgood and Turner were members of an organized gang of thieves and murders that operated in southeastern Kansas. As a result of his confession 18 stolen horses, a bag of counterfeit silver dollars and a counterfeiting outfit have been recovered. Besides Altgood, B. L. Mathes, Mary Mathes, and Herbert Simpson are under arrest. Fifty other horses stolen by the gang have been located. The officers are on the trail of other members of the gang. Ballard also alleged that Altgood murdered William Coulter near Eureka in 1889. Officers who have been working on the case have corroborated many of Ballard's statements.

Eureka, Kan., March 29 - The report from Wichita of the arrest of Frank Altgood and four others for the murder of Joseph New and the story of the alleged confession of a penitentiary prisoner fixing the crime upon them finds few believers here, where the murder of New created a great sensation and wehre the evidence against Mrs. New and Joseph Dobbs was very carefully followed. When Mrs. New and Dobbs were put upon trial the circumstantial evidence against them was almost conclusive. It is recalled also that while the jury was deliberating upon the evidence, Mrs. New, who was detained in a room adjoining the court room, broke down in the presence of two persons and confessed that she and Dobbs were guilty of the murder of her husband. (Pawtucket Times, March 29, 1899, page 3, transcribed by Peggy Thompson)


Greenwood County Stands in the Way of Executive Clemency

Topeka, Nov. 3 - Governor Hoch returned to the state house this morning after a few days rest at his home in Marion. The governor was asked if he had come to a decision regarding Amelia New, who is in the penitentiary for the murder of her husband, whose application for a pardon was heard a few days ago.

"No," replied the governor. "I haven't made up my mind as to what I will do in her case, so it would not be proper for me to discuss it just now."

It is understood that Mrs. New's chances for a pardon are not especially bright. The governor is said to have the keenest sympathy for Mrs. New and were he influenced by his strong inclination, he would immediately release the unfortunate woman. However, it is said that he feels that particular attention should be given to the opinion of the people of Greenwood County where the murder was committed and where Mrs. New was convicted.

Governor Hoch was in Greenwood county a few days ago, where he discussed the pardon with many persons. He found that the county attorney, the county commisioners and practically all the other county officers and prominent citizens very strongly opposed to Mrs. New's pardon. They argued that they feared her presence in the county. This the governor at first ridiculed, saying that it is ridiculous to suppose that an old woman could do harm to able-bodied men. The county attorney's reply is said to have impressed Governor Hoch. It was that while many men who are naturally brave in facing usual dangers might live in dread of a poisoned well or some other depredation almost imposible to guard against.

If Greenwood county were divided as to the advisability of pardoning Mrs. New, Governor Hoch, with his sympathy for the woman, would undoubtedly pardon her, but as nearly everyone in the county is against executive clemency, it is extremly doubtful that he will order her released. (Kansas City Star, November 3, 1905, page 16, transcribed by Peggy Thompson)


Now Mrs. New, Once in Prison for Murder, is Trying to Get Land Back

Topeka, Nov. 28 - For the second time the suit of Mrs. Amelia New to obtain the farm she lost while in the Kansas penitentiary reached the Kansas Supreme Court today. About fifteen years ago, Mrs. New was convicted of the murder of her husband in Greenwood county. They owned a valuable farm there. When Mrs. New was sent to prison for life, J. O. Smith was appointed as her attorney and to look after the estate. During the years Mrs. New was in prison and before her release upon a pardon by the governor, Smith obtained possession of the farm. He had paid some of the debts of the News and some of the legal expenses incident to the long trial. When Mrs. New was released she brought suit to obtain possession of the farm, valued at about $12,000. In the first trial the lower court jury ruled against her. The supreme court reversed the order and sent the case back for a new trial. At the new trial the jury decided in favor of Mrs. New and Smith filed the appeal in the supreme court here today. (Kansas City Star, November 28, 1913, page 2, transcribed by Peggy Thompson)


Jury Says Greenwood County Man is Not Guilty of Murder

Eureka, Kan., Sept. 13 - Joe Hale, who has been on trial here for the murder of William L. Dodge, was acquitted today. The jury was out only a short time. Ward Hale's case, who is charged with being an accomplice to the murder, will be tried at this term of court. The acquittal of Joe Hale was what the majority of the people had expected would be the result of the trial. (Kansas Semi Weekly Capital, September 14, 1900, page 7, transcribed by Peggy Thompson)


T. N. Webster Tells How Wealthy W. H. Orvis Came to Die

Murder Deliberately Planned by One Powell of Severy - Knocked Insensible - Placed Before A Train

Special to the Capital

Wichita, Kan., March 31 - The confession of T. N. Webster, now serving a short term in the Hutchinson reformatory, clears away the mystery of the murder of W. H. Orvis, a wealthy Englishman, who was sandbagged and robbed at the Severy depot in Greenwood County in August 1895.

Orvis who was a stock dealer, had gone to the depot to take the train for Kansas City. He was found insensible on the track by a man named Powell, who dragged him off and gave the alarm. He claimed when he recovered to have been robbed of his gold watch, $400 in money and $6,000 of government bonds.

Webster, who has made a full confession, states that J. A. Powell, a worthless character living in Severy, was angered by Orvis, who told of alleged illicit relations existing between him (Powell) and a very near relative. The scheme was to kill Orvis and throw him on the railroad track to conceal the crime.

Powell, ascertaining that Orvis designed taking the night train, awaited him at the end of the depot. As he came around the corner, he struck him with a sandbag, knocking him insensible. He then robbed his person and dragged his body over to the track.

Webster protested against this, when Powell gave up and alarmed the people inside alleging that the unconscious man (his victim) had evidently been stricken with apoplexy.

Although suspicion attached to the two men, no evidence was ever obtained against them.

Orvis partly recovered and was enabled to attend to business but he suffered form the effects of the attack for over two months, when he died. The coroner's jury returned a verdict that he died from the effects of a blow received.

Three weeks before he died he received a note thrown over the transom of his door, telling him that the bonds could be recovered at a certain hotel in Kansas City. It is claimed this information was correct and that he received back the $6,000 bonds.

After his death, his executors brought suit in the United States court at Fort Scott to recover $3,000 accident insurance that had been refused, which suit was thrown out of court by the judge who held that the evidence conclusively proved suicide.

It has since been discovered that Orvis had become entagled with a woman in Topeka, who is supposed to have gotten some of his property.

Webster is now in the Hutchinson reformatory where under the law he can be released at any time and Powell is in Arkansas where he has been located by the confession of his partner.

County Attorney Johnson of Greenwood county took the confession and when the proper time comes, he will undoubtedly cause the arrest and trial of the principals. (Kansas Semi Weekly Capital, April 2, 1897, page 3, transcribed by Peggy Thompson)


The Cowboy Evangelist Has a Small Price on His Head

The following notice appears in the current number of the Detective, a police organ, as its name indicates:

Fifty Dollars Reward - G. W. Rasure is wanted for embezzlement. Will pay above reward for his arrest and detention. He is about 5 feet 11 inches tall, weight about 160 pounds, dark auburn hair, red face, full cheeks, sandy moustache, quick in action and a great talker. Is a member of the M. E. church and of the order of Knights of Pythias. Preaches when he can. Operates under cloak of religion; is a great traveler, claims to be wealthy, loves fast horses and fast women, gambles. He is known as a reformed cowboy.

Cy Brookover
Sheriff, Greenwood County, Kansas

Mr. Rasure will be remembered as having created quite a stir here a year ago in his role of the "cowboy evangelist." He had a large circle of acquaintances about the "tough" classes and took pains to go among them and inform them that he was a reformed man. He also tried to do some missionary work on Battle Row, offering prayers in some of the wickedest saloons in that neighborhood, but meeting with poor success. His efforts to obtain permission to preach from a city pulpit were unsuccessful, though he caused quite a commotion by his attempts to preach from Dr. Morris' pulpit shortly after the Sam Jones meetings.

The advertisement in the Detective is the first news that has been afloat regarding Rasure for some time. (Kansas City Times, February 8, 1889, page 8)


Brutal Crimes Traced to Bill Hudgins, the Outlaw

Developments From the Arrest of Himself and Band

Misdeeds for Which Innocent Men were Arrested

Suspected of Implication in Three more murders, while many others are believed to have been committed by his companions - the assailant of Alice Ninas to be sentenced to death

Paris, Tex., March 26 - Since the capture of Bill Hudgins and most of the members of his gang February 5Paris, Tex., March 26 - Since the capture of Bill Hudgins and most of the members of his gang February 5, and the killing of Aleck Davis and the capture of Bill Poe on the 17th inst., officers have secured information that shows Hudgins' connection with at least four murders that have heretofore remained a mystery.

On July 9, 1890, Aleck Handlin was shot from ambush about thirty miles west of Purcell, while driving along the road with his wife. She drove sixteen miles to the nearest house. Two men named Samuel and Ramey were arrested for the crime and brought here and the case was thoroughly investigated. While there was some strong circumstances against them, the case was dismissed. They were arrested in Greenwood county, Kansas, by Sheriff Bookover, and are now suing him for false imprisonment.

Soon after the opening of Oklahoma an old German and his son and a man named Casey fell out over a claim and one night they were called out and shot down. Casey was suspected of the crime, but no evidence could be obtained against him and the matter almost passed out of mind.
A year or two ago the office of the Santa Fe railroad at Horton, in the Cherokee strip, was entered. No other house was near. The agent was shot and the station robbed. The agent leaned over his table and while his life blood ebbed away tapped this message: "Help, am dying; station robbed." A special train went down from Arkansas City, Kan., and the agent was found .

Evidence is now accumulating that will undoubtedly prove that Hudgins, who is well known as an outlaw, committed all of these murders, and three others have been partially developed besides these against him. Murder cases have been worked up on five other members of the gang. Hudgins is only 22 years old and all of the members of his band are young men. (Kansas City Times, March 27, 1891, page 4)


George M. Munger of Kansas Willing to Adopt the Girl

Chicago, Oct. 15 - At a meeting of the Chicago Woman's Auxiliary of the Cuban committee, after felicitations had been exchanged on the escape of Evangelina Cossio Cisnero from prison in Havana, Mrs. Martha M. Purdy announced that she had written to Miss Cisneros offering her a permanent home with her father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. George M. Munger, wealthy fruit raisers of Greenwood County, Kansas. (Emporia Gazette, October 15, 1897, page 1)


Washington, Jan. 28 - these fourth class postoffice appointments were announced today: In Kansas - At Durachen, Butler County, Henry Tibbetts; at Herikmer, Marshall County, Christian Huber; at Hortonburg, Lyon County, James Jacobs; at Star, Greenwood County, John W. Forcun. (Kansas Semi Weekly Capital, February 1, 1898, page 7)


The suicide of Mr. C. S. Cross, present of the First National Bank of Emporia, over a year ago, was the sensation of the state. The bank was immediately taken possession of by an officer of the Treasury department. Later on Mr. Martin Albaugh was appointed receiver and Mr. R. T. Battey, trustee for the Martindale estate. Since that time the affairs of the bank have been in process of settlement. Mr. William Martindale, vice president of the bank, a well known citizen of Kansas, formerly of Greenwood County, turned over his real estate for the benefit of the depositors. This real estate consisted of 9,000 acres of land, which as been variously estimated in value at from $75,000 to $100,000. There were, so far as Mr. Martindale was concerned, two classes of creditors. Depositors of the bank of which he was vice president, and a large stock holder and unsecured creditors to whom Mr. Martindale became indebted in the ordinary course of a large business. The creditors were generally agreed that the land ought to be sold by the tract, as located, and not in one lot, and that a sale of the 5,500 acres, as desired by the depositors and general creditors, in separate tracts, would bring from $75,000 to $100,000. It was decided by the trustee and receiver and the attorney of these two officers, Mr. I. F. Lambert that the land would be sold in bulk and not subdivided. This decision created dissatisfaction and was the beginning of the trouble between the receiver, trustee and attorney on the one hand and creditors on the other. It led the depositors to appeal to the Comptroller of the Treasury to make an investigation of the sale to Major Calvin Hood for $41,000. The sale had been confirmed by United States District Judge Phillips, at Kansas City, but set aside for a rehearing upon statements made by the depositors. The chief clerk of the Comptroler of the Treasury accompanied by an attorney of the department went to Emporia and after hearing the evidence as to the sale to Major Hood, decided that $19,000 more which would bring the purchase price to $60,000 would be confirmed by the department. One half of the $19,000 to go to depositors and the other half to the general creditors of William Martindale. As the arrangement had been made to divide the sum of the increase in price equally between the depositors and the outside creditors, the government officers only assumed authority to require the payment of $9,500 for the depositors.

The Capital prints this morning the state statements and affidavits of all concerned giving the inside history of the case to this date. The depositors claim there was collusion on the part of the trustee, receiver and Attorney Lambert, who is also attorney for Major Hood, to sell this property to Major Hood in bulk without making the effort required by their official positions to get the highest bid that could have been received. It is not the intention of the Capital to suggest that Mr. Lambert was acting in an official capacity. He was, however, attorney for Major Hood, the trustee and the receiver.

The affidavits and statements of all concerned tell their own story. If these officers have failed to do their official duty in protecting the depositors they ought to be summarily dealt with.

Major Hood acting as a banker and investor was looking for a profitable investment. With him it was purely a business transaction. As to the officers appointed to protect the interests of stockholders and depositors it is a very different matter. (Kansas Semi Weekly Capital, February 9, 1900, page 4)
O. Sumner, who was born in 1860, was the first male white born in Greenwood county. He lives yet at Climax, in Greenwood. (Kansas Semi Weekly Capital, June 8, 1900, page 4)


Eureka, Jan. 23 - The Greenwood county oil field is attracting the attention of oil men from all over the country who say they are playing it as one of the most promising fields in Kansas. There are now four producing wells in the county, sixteen standard rigs drilling and four dry wells. All of the development has been done within the past year. The producing wells are the Bitler No. 1, one half mile east of Eureka; Cosden No. 1, fifteen miles northeast of Eureka; Lewis No. 2, in the southwest part of the county near Beaumont, and Waymire No. 1, near Lamont: The Bitler and Lewis wells are pumping and said to be making fifty barrels each per day. The Cosden is rigging up to pump and the Waymire well was brought in last week.

The Sinclair pipe line from the Butler County field to Kansas City has just been completed through Greenwood County. It runs east and west through the county on a line one mile south of Eureka. (Emporia Gazette, January 23, 1917, page 6)


Joseph New, a Kansas Farmer, Murdered by Persons Still Uncaught

Eureka, Kas., Nov. 2---The inquest held yesterday evening on the body of Joseph New, who was killed in his farm yard yesterday evening, developed that he was murdered. New heard a noise near his house, lighted a lantern and went out to investigate. When about fifteen feet from the house he was shot down by some unknown person from behind the hendhouse. Five buckshot passed through his body, and he died almost instantly. Suspicion points to certain persons living in the neighborhood, but no arrests have yet been made. (Kansas City Star ~ November 2, 1897, submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


J. N. Elliott, of Eureka, Shot and Killed About 3 o'clock, This Morning

Assailants Flee

Officer Shot Down When He Discovered Robber Forcing Store Entrance

A report from Eureka early this afternoon was to the effect that an I. W. W. card was fond in the possession of one of the suspects. It shows that his dues in the organization are paid.

J. N. Elliott, aged 55, night marshal at Eureka, was shot and killed about 3 o'clock this morning while making his rounds of the business district, by robbers, who were attempting to force an entrance to the Wheeler Variety Store.

Elliott was shot twice. One bullet entered his body just above the right shoulder blade and the other under the left arm. The former went through the body. After being shot, Elliott walked across the street and dropped dead in the entrance of a drug store, before assistance could reach him.

The shooting followed Elliott's discovery of the robbers, who were attempting to remove the lock in the front door of the store. The marshal first saw the bandits when he entered the main street from a side avenue. Evidently Elliott was surprised as much as the robbers, for he was not given time to pull his revolver from his hip pocket before he was shot. Elliott's overcoat was buttoned and his gun had not been drawn.

Although two persons, who were rooming over a store directly across the street from the Wheeler establishment were awakened by the shooting, the robbers fled before they could reach their windows. It is unknown if the thieves were in a motor car.

A woman who lives west of Eureka, told Sheriff Tony Colvin of Eureka, a motor car passed her home, travelling at a high rate of speed about 3:30 o'clock. It is the opinion of a few the robbers may have been in the machine. They say the car could have been parked in the residence district of Eureka while the robbers forced an entrance to the store.

At noon today, three robber suspects had been arrested at Eureka. They were taken into custody at the Missouri Pacific passenger station. They are being held at the Greenwood County jail.

Immediately after the killing, officers throughout this section of the state were asked to assist in finding Elliott's assailants. Sheriff Newt Purcell and several deputies scoured the country east and north of El Dorado. Sheriff Colvin led the search from Eureka and directed posses, which were quickly formed.

Elliott had been a resident of Greenwood County for about thirty years. He was night marshal for nearly five years. He was married and had a daughter. (El Dorado Times, November 16, 1922, Thursday)


This is notify you that there will be a seven number lecture course held at Eureka M. E. Church during the season of 1920-21. The first number will be an entertainment and im- Francis M. Leaman. The next number will be an entertainment and intpersonation October 30, by Osecola Hall Burr. Other dates will be announced later, each one of equal interest and for community betterment. Everyone should take advantage of this opportunity and secure tickets at once for the entire course. Tickets can be secured from the following persons: Misses Lyle and Sylvia Shaw, Mary Lawder and Bertha Hendrich and Mr. John King.

Basket Dinner

Sunday, October the 10th there will be an all day session at Eureka M. E. Church. The Wide Awake Sunday school will meet with Eureka at the Sunday school hour. Instead of the regular morning preaching service, a program will be given. A basket dinner will be served at noon and in the afternoon Rev. Francis McCormick of Wichita, a special Sunday School worker, will be with us, and have charge of the afternoon and evening services. If you have any Sunday School questions, bring them at this time. An opportunity will be given to discuss them. If you attend either of these Sunday schools or do not have a regular place of attendance, make a special effort to be with us for the entire day.

There will be special services at Wide Awake next Sunday morning, October the 3rd. Everybody is invited.

Don't forget the Monthly Official Board meeting at Eureka, next Monday night, October the 4th.

Mid-week service every Wednesday night at Wide Awake and every Thursday night at Eureka. The interest is increasing and the number is growing. Everybody is welcome.

The Foreign Missionary Society and the Ladies Aid of the Eureka M. E. church will meet with Mrs. Wayne Ring Wednesday afternoon, October the 6th. Every woman in the community should take a definite interest in these organizations as they are a means of help to you and to others. (typed as was in the newspaper) (The Liberal Democrat, Liberal, Kan., September 30, 1920)

EUREKA ITMES - April 1917

W. A. King and family spent Sunday at the V. Capps home.
A. C. Moore went to eastern Kansas Saturday morning to visit home folks. His brother has joined the Navy and he wanted to see him before he left.
Little Margaret Moorehouse who was at Dr. Morrow's hospital for a month has been home a week and is improving nicely.
Lavice Moorehouse visited with Mrs. Josie Greenbacher Friday afternoon.
Mrs. C. E. Moorehouse and little granddaughter Margaret spent the afternoon at Mrs. W. C. Elliott's Friday.
D. Ireland and family returned last week from Kentucky where they spent the winter with relatives and friends.
Mr. and Mrs. C. E. Moorehouse were in Liberal Friday afternoon.
V. Capps and Rufus King were in Liberal Sunday.
Little Violet Moorehouse spent Sunday afternoon with Martha Simmons.
Mr. and Mrs. Preston Booth were in Liberal Saturday.
The Ladies Aid of the Eureka neighborhood will meet at the W. C. Elliott's Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons of this week to work on the quilt which is to be sold at the play at the Eureka School House on Saturday night, April 21.
W. A. King and family will soon move into their new house which has been under construction for some time. The building has ten rooms, and basement under the whole house, is steam heated and lighted by electricity. It is one of the best farm homes in southwest Kansas.
Our school at Eureka will close Friday. Miss Bess King has taught a very successful term of school and she will be missed when she returned to her home, which is in Texas.
The Ladies' Aid of the Eureka district will give the play, "A Masonic Ring, or the Adventures of a Young Bride." At the Eureka church Saturday night, April 21st. The admission will be 15 and 25 cents. This is a good play and your attendance will be appreciated. They will also auction off a quilt that evening. Be there.
(The Liberal Democrat, Liberal, Kan., April 19, 1917)

EUREKA ITEMS - July 1915

Mrs. C. E. Morehouse was very sick last week.
Mr. Lubbers helped Celia Gruenbacker cook for harvest men part of the time then Celia helped her.
Rev. Dungan filled his appointment at Eureka Sunday morning.
Miss Packace is vising Miss Shepherd at the C. C. Morehouse home.
Mrs. W. A. King and Della Adair were in Liberal Saturday.
Mrs. Vance Capps called on Mrs. King one afternoon last week. (The Liberal Democrat, July 23, 1915)


John Peekssane and wife from Kansas City are here making a visit and their daughters, Lillie and husband from near Hooker and their daughters, Bertha and husband, from west of Tyrone, were also here over Sunday and attended church at Eureka Sunday.

Bro. Wells from Bally, Kansas, who preached at the Independence church last year, preached a fine sermon for us at Eureka Sunday morning and he preached at Independence in the evening.

On Sunday the 27th it being C. E. Morehouse's birthday anniversary, his son, C. H. and family and daughters Mrs. W. T. Capps and family all took dinner with him and also Rufus King and Grandma Capps.

Our Junior League sang in our choir for the services Sunday evening. They all did fine. We are proud of our Juniors. Mrs. Jessie Peek is president of the Juniors and they are sure a fine league, all parents are invited to come every Sunday evening and bring their children. (The Liberal Democrat, May 1, 1919)


Emporia Boy in Eureka Jail Admits Crime---Wounded Youth's Condition Critical

Eureka, June 23 --- A chage of attempted burglary has been filed against an Emporia boy who is in the Greenwood county jail alleged to have tried to rob Floy Norick's cafe in the Clark oil field near Madison Saturday night.

The youth has admitted his part in the attempted robbery to the county attorney, but has had no preliminary hearing yet, the sheriff said this morning.

Another Emporian, who was in the alleged escapade, still is in a critical condition in the Newman Memorlal County hospital in Emporia.  He was shot by Norick, who said he caught the boys in the attempt of robbing his cafe.  The injured boy probably will recover, it was said at the hospital today.
(Emporia Gazette ~ June 23, 1925)


Former Emporian to Have Dining Room in The Greenwood

Eureka, April 26 --- Workmen have begun remodeling the Greenwood hotel.  Twenty rooms will be added to the building and a new front erected.  It will be finished this summer.

The dining room in the remodeled building will be operated by Henry Nichols, who now owns the Ideal cafe and who formerly ran the Purity cafe in Emporia.
(Emporia Gazette ~ April 26, 1926 ~ Page 3)

Back to Index Page

Copyright © to Kansas Genealogy Trails' Greenwood County host & all Contributors
  All rights reserved