Harvey  County,  Kansas


Harold A. McKay, 96 Cherokee Lane, died Friday evening at the Veterans Hospital in Topeka.  He was an electrician for the Santa Fe, and had worked for the company for 22 years in Topeka, Allen, Newton, Shawnee and Emporia.

Funeral services will be held Tuesday at 2 p.m. in the Draper-Cannon Funeral Home in Newton, and burial will be in the Restlawn Gardens of Memory in Newton.

The family has suggested memorial contributions to the Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Society of American, directed to the funeral home.

Harold Angus McKay was born in Lawrence, Jan. 1, 1920, the son of Harold A. and Marguerite Vogle McKay.  He married June L. Stratton in Topeka, Aug. 14, 1944, and she survives.  Other survivors are three sons, Michael McKay of Denver, Martin McKay, rural Lebo, and Mark McKay, 96 Cherokee Lane; two daughters, Mrs. Gary Luginbill, 917 Chestnut St., and Mrs. Stacey Becker, 301 Wilson St.; his mother, Marguerite L. Higgins, Lawrence; one brother, David G. Higgins, Lawrence; three sisters, Helen Miller, Topeka, and Ruby Pringle and Shirley Shulemeyer, Lawrence; and three grandchildren.

Mr. McKay was a member of the Hope Lutheran Church in Shawnee.  He was a U.S. Navy veteran of World War II.
(Emporia Gazette ~ Monday ~ November 21, 1977 ~ Page 1)


NEWTON --- Marion C. "Bud" Kunish, 67, died Friday at his home.

He was born Aug. 13, 1916, in Osborne County and was a retired salesman for Arco Co.  Mr. Kunish had lived in Newton since 1958, moving from La Crosse.

He was a member of Salem United Methodist Church and the Farm Bureau, Newton, and the American Legion, La Crosse.

Survivors include his wife, Kathleen, of the home; a son, Charles, Silverdale, Wash.; a daughter, Dana Allen, 923 Sherman; two brothers, Joe, Stockton, and Olin, Quincy, Wash; a sister, Sylvia Colwell, Osborne, an eight grandchildren.

The funeral will be at 10 a.m. Monday at Draper-Cannon Funeral Home, the Rev. Leroy A. Bott officiating.  Burial will be in Restlawn Gardens of Memory, Newton.

Friends may call at the funeral home until service time.

Memorials may be sent to the American Heart Association.
(Salina Journal ~ Saturday ~ May 19, 1984 ~ Page 11)


NEWTON --- Kathleen A. Kunish, 71, Newton, died Saturday, April 16, at NMC-Axtell Christian Hospital, Newton.

Mrs. Kunish was born Nov. 24, 1916, in Alton and was a retired secretary for the Bethel Hospital, Newton.  She was a member of the Salem United Methodist Church, Newton, and the American Legion Auxiliary, La Crosse.

Her husband, Marion C., died in 1984.

Survivors include a son, Charles N. of Silverdale, Wash.; a daughter, Dana Allen of Salina; four brothers, Richard Runzel of Carey, Ill., Jim Runzel of Ramona, Calif., Alfred Runzel of Winchester, Calif., and Kenneth Runzel of LaCrescenta, Calif.; three sisters, Margaret Miller of Olathe, Mary Jean Thornburg of Riverside, Calif., and Betty Broughton of Hemet, Calif.; nine grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

The funeral will be 2 p.m. Wednesday at the Draper-Cannon Funeral Home, Newton, the Rev. Tom Sheldon officiating.  Burial will be in the Restlawn Garden of Memorry, rural Newton.

Memorials may be made to the American Heart Association.

Visitation is at the funeral home.
(Salina Journal ~ Tuesday ~ April 19, 1988 ~ Page 9)


NEWTON --- Frank A. Morse, 89, Newton, died Friday, April 22, at St. Luke's Hospital in Marion.

Mr. Morse was born March 31, 1899, in Marion. He had lived in Newton for the past 50 years and was a truck driver.

His wife, Libbie, died in 1983.

Survivors include three brothers, Earl and Roger of Marion and Elder of San Bernardino, Calif.; and a sister, Inez Woerz of Marion.

A service will be 2:30 p.m. Monday at the Restlawn Gardens of Memory Cemetery, rural Newton, the Rev. Orlando Waltner officiating.

Memorials may be made to the Bethesda Nursing Home in Goessel.

Visitation is at the Thompson-Harp-Zeiner Funeral Home in Marion.
(Salina Journal ~ Sunday ~ April 24, 1988 ~ Page 11)


NEWTON --- Gerald F. "Pappy" Turner, Sr., 86, Newton, died Saturday, April 21, 1990, at the Kansas Christian Home, Newton.

Mr. Turner was born on March 23, 1904, in Lincoln County.  He was a retired owner and operator of the Play Mor Bowling Lanes, Newton, and a member of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks Lodge No. 706, Newton, the Men's International Bowling Association, the Newton Bowling Association and the American Association of Retired Persons.

A son, Gordon D., died in 1981.

Survivors include his wife, Marie of the home; a son, Gerald S, Jr., of Linwood, Wash.; a brother, Alva W. of Salt Lake City; a sister, Goldie Gering of Salina; two grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

The funeral will be at 2 p.m. Wednesday at the Draper-Cannon Funeral Home Chapel, Newton, the Rev. Tom Sheldon officiating.  Burial will be in the Restlawn Garden of Memories, Newton.

Memorials may be made to the American Diabetes Association or the Kansas Christian Home.

Visitation will be from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. today and after 9 a.m. Wednesday at the funeral home.
(Salina Journal ~ Tuesday ~ April 24, 1990 ~ Page 9)


Susie Reiff, daughter of David Reiff, Hesston, died this morning at her home, aged 21 years.  The cause of her death was pneumonia.  The funeral will be held Saturday, the interment to be made in the Hesston cemetery.
(Evening Kansan ~ Newton, KS ~ Thursday ~ November 17, 1898 ~ Page 4)


Elizabeth Pearl, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Strain, was born in Newton, Kansas, July 19, 1907, and died March 8th, 1908, aged seven months and 19 days.  It is said the old must die and the young may die, and this truth has again been demonstrated before our eyes.  This little child passed away after a brief illness of but one week and like many other another instance, the death messener came in a moment when not expected.

She leaves to mourn parents, 5 brothers, 2 sisters and many more distant relatives and friends.  But this consolation is theirs in this sad hour.  He who said, "Suffer little children to come unto me and forbid them not," will also take care of his little ones.

Funeral services were conducted from the house No. 700 E. 9th street by Rev. S. I. Zechiel.  Interment at the Hesston cemetery.
(Evening Kansan ~ Newton, KS ~ Wednesday ~ March 11, 1908 ~ Page 4)


Mrs. Winslow's funeral at Hesston Monday at the M.E. church was largely attended.  Rev. Miller of Hutchinson, assisted by Rev. Hunt the local minister, conducted the services.  Interment was made in the Hesston cemetery.
(Evening Kansan ~ Newton, KS ~ Thursday ~ Auust 24, 1911 ~ Page 8)




Suffocated by the Fumes from Escaping Gas While Taking His Bath----Funeral Tomorrow Morning

Ciitzens of Newton who were acquainted with Maurice S. Ingalls, Jr., of Halstead, which comprised a larger part of the younger crowd, were saddened yesterday afternoon to hear of his death which occurred at Halstead.  At first it was hard, indeed, to realize that one of the most prominent young men of our neighboring city had been stricken down before he had scarcely reached the noon of life, and some found hope in a rumor that he was not dead and that there was a spark of life yet remaining which the doctors hoped to revive.  This, however, proved to be groundless, as he was dead when found on the floor of the bathroom where he had fallen when overcome by the escaping gas fumes.

The particulars as obtained from Halstead are that M. S. Ingalls, Sr., and his wife, father and mother of the young man, had gone to Sunday school and later his wife had gone to church, the three returning home together.  Maurice had remained at home and when the other members of the family returned from church they went about preparing dinner, thinking little about the absent son and husband, except that he was upstairs taking a bath and dressing for dinner.  When they were ready to sit down to the table his wife went upstairs to see if he was ready.  Not finding him in his room she opened the door of the bathroom and found the dead body of her husband lying on the floor with the left arm badly burned from having come in contact with the stove.  He had evidently been in the act of taking his bath and was overcome by the fumes from escaping gas.  The stove used to heat the bathroom was one of those which have caused so many fatalities during the winter.  Gas was fed to the stove through several feet of rubber hose and the stove was not provided with a pipe to carry away the fumes.

Deceased was twenty-five years of age and his marriage to Miss Ada Williams of this city on October 6th, last, was one of the social events of the season.  After a brief wedding trip they returned to Halstead and had occupied rooms at the home of Mr. and Mrs. M. S. Ingalls, Sr.  A new house had just been completed into which the young couple expected to move today.

While the sock for the young wife was a severe one, the report from Halstead today is that he is bearing up bravely.

The funeral will be held at Halstead tomorrow morning at ten o'clock and will be attended by a large delegation of Newton people.

S. D. Williams and wife, parents of Mrs. Ingalls, will not be able to attend the funeral.  They are now in Oregon and owing to the railroads in that part of the county being tied up with snow they consider it unwise to attempt to make the long trip with such conditions prevailing.
(Evening Kansan-Republican ~ Newton, KS ~ Monday ~ January 18, 1909 ~ Page 1)

The funeral services of Maurice Ingalls were held this morning in the Methodist Church at Halstead.  The Rev. G. W. Parkinson of the Methodist Church conducted the service assisted by the Rev. J. Y. Ewart of the Presbyterian Church of Newton.  A double quartet consisting of Mrs. J. S. Eyman, Mrs. McKee, Miss Ida Ruth, Miss Grace Barkemeyer, B. E. Frizzell, Gus Lehman, John Lehman and Mr. Troyer sang several selections.  The funeral was one of the largest ever held in Halstead.  After the regular service the Masons took charge and had their ritualistic service and also conducted the service at the grave.  Many very beautiful floral offerings had been sent by friends and showed in a small way the esteem in which Mr. Ingalls was held by all his friends.  The church was full to overflowing and many who could not get into the church stood on the outside during the service.  About thirty of the Newton friends went over this morning to be present at the service.
(Evening Kansan-Republican ~ Newton, KS ~ Tuesday ~ January 19, 1909 ~ Page 4)


Fred Kreugman, for years an inmate of the Harvey county poor farm, was killed by an angry bull near Newton yesterday.
(Salina Daily Union ~ Tuesday ~ August 28, 1906 ~ Page 3)



On Saturday, last, about 3 o'clock, the neighborhood of Ed. Libby's, about eight miles from Newton, was greatly excited on hearing of a suicide, by hanging, in Ed. Libby's barn.

The facts in the case are substantially as follows:

The suicide gave his name as Adolph Kline, a German by birth, about twenty-eight yeras of age.  He arrived in Newton about two months ago, from the east.  He had no money or friends, and was in search of work.  His appearance and talk attracted the notice of Marshal Marks, who in turn called Dr. Miller's attention to the man.  A talk with Kline brought forth the statement that he could find no work and was sick.  It was concluded best to take him to the poor farm, which was done, and where he was treated for a week or ten days.

He came back and looked for work.  Not finding it he became disheartened, and casually remakred to a man, "If I don't get work pretty soon I will put an end to myself."  This passing remark was little thought to contain so much meaning until Saturday afternoon.

R. W. Denny, who had been to Annelly at an installation, was among the first to see the man hanging in the driveway in Ed. Libby's barn.

Kline had been working some eight or ten days for Libby, but nothing unnatural had been noticed.  He told them once that he had had property in Hodgeman county, but had lost it all, together with some money.

Justice Weatherby brought the corpse to this city about 7 o'clock Saturday evening and laid it in the city council chamber, where it remained until Sunday afternoon.  At 4 o'clock the poor unfortunate was taken to this last resting place in the potter's field of the city cemetery.
(Newton Daily Republican ~ Tuesday ~ January 25, 1887 ~ Page 1)



Mrs. Martha Fullerlove died at the county poor farm Tuesday night in convulsions.  Mrs. Fullerlove was 50 years old and for the past six years was insane and confined in the county house.  The funeral took place yesterday, the interment being made in the city cemetery.
(Newton Daily Republican ~ Thursday ~ September 5, 1889 ~ Page 3)



The sad intelligence of the sudden death of Mrs. W. D. Graham at the county poor farm will be received with surpirse and sorrow by the many friends and acquaintances of both Mr. and Mrs. Graham.  Mr. Graham is the superintendent of the poor farm, and his wife has been almost an indispensable help to him in his duties.  She was taken sick two days before she died, of inflammation of the stomach, and she rapidly sank beyond the help of human hands yesterday afternoon.  She died at the age of 37 years.

Mrs. Graham's maiden name was Miss Alice Egy.  She came to Newton with her family in 1871 and was one of the first girls in the town.  She was a favorite among her acquaintances.  About ten years ago she was married to W. D. Graham.  One child was the fruit of the marriage, which survives her.  Mr. Graham has the sincere sympathy of the entire community in his bereavement.

The funeral book place from the poor farm three miles west of town this afternoon at 2 o'clock, the Rev. S. M. Davis officiating.  The interrment was made in the city cemetery.
(Newly Daily Republican ~ Friday ~ August 25, 1893 ~ Page 4)


Dorretta Hesterberg, was born on October 20, 1876, at Steierber, Germany, the daughter of William and Marie (Brant) Hesterberg.

She was baptized in the Lutheran church at Steierberg on November 12, 1876, and was confirmed upon the confession of her faith on April 5, 1891.

As a young girl she came to America and made her home with her sister Caroline Lueders at Norborne, Missouri.

On June 7, 1894, she was united in marriage to William Budde at Norborne, Missouri, where they resided for nine years.  From there they moved to Winfield, Kansas, where they lived about three years.  In 1906 they established the home on Route 3, Newton, Kansas, where the husband and two of the daughters, Velma and Eleanora still reside.  Besides the bereaved husband and Velma and Eleanora of the home, the following children remain to mourn her passing:  Carl Budde, Frederick Budde, Mrs. Olga Karter, Mrs. Frieda Winter, Mrs. Marie Fluke, Mrs. Caroline Buss, Albert Budde, Oscar Budde, Frank Budde, and Elmer Budde; also twelve grandchildren: Ruth and Della May Karter; Donna Jane and Janet Budde; Mary Kathryn and Janice Budde; Robert, Carl and Caroline Budde; Eldon Buss; Alvin Winter; and William Budde.  She also leaves one brother, Henry Hesterberg of Norborne, Missouri, and a number of nieces and nephews and friends.  One daughter, Minnie, passed away in infancy.

Her health had been poor for a number of years, but about six months ago her condition became worse and she had to spend most of her time in bed.  However, in a few weeks she seemed a little stronger for a short time, and on June 12, she and her husband were happy to have all twelve of their children home with them to celebrate their fifty-fifth wedding anniversary.

Since that time she steadily became weaker and on Sunday, Nov. 20, her physician thought it advisable for her to be taken to the hospital, where everything possible was done to make her last hours on earth more comfortable.  Nevertheless on Monday morning it became evident that her time was growing short, so her husband and children and her pastor were summoned, and they all gathered at her bedside to bid her farewell.

At 1:40 Monday afternoon she quietly went to meet the Great Physician who will do what human hands could not accomplish--there to wait for her lived ones to follow in due time.

Friday, Nov. 25, a brief service was held at Moody's Funeral Home for the family, followed by funeral services at the Zion Lutheran church with the Rev. E. H. Wilms officiating.  A quartet composed of Mrs. E. H. Wilms, Mrs. Wm. Thimm, Mrs. Max Gradert, and Mrs. A Hauck sang, "Be Still My Soul" and "Wo Findet die Seele die Heimat der Ruh." Miss Gertrude Hauck was the organist.

Interment was in Greenwood cemetery with her six sons as casket bearers.
(Evening Kansan-Republican ~ Newton, KS ~ Novmeber 30, 1949 ~ Page 5 ~ Submitted by Debra Burgess)



Passed Away at Her Home in This City Yesterday Morning.

Mrs. J. B. New died at her home in this city Sunday morning at 2:30 o'clock after nearly a week of intense suffering.

Mrs. New (nee Miss Alma Comes) was born in McDonough county, Illinois, November 18, 1871, and moved to Kansas with her parents in 1877, locating near Burrton.  The family moved to Nickerson in 1888, and from there to Aspen, Colorado, where Miss Alma was married to J. B. New August 24, 1897.

Mr. and Mrs. New came to Newton from Nickerson when the Santa Fe shops were moved here and have resided in this city ever since.

The remains were shipped to Burrton this morning and the funeral services were held in the Presbyterian church of that city this afternoon at 3 o'clock, she being a member of the church of that denomination in Newton, and interment took place in the Burrton cemetery in the family lots as was also that of her son who lived but a few hours.

Mrs. New was a queen among women and her untimely demise will be deeply felt by a host of friends to the different places she once called her home.  The bereaved relatives have the sympathy of all.
(Newton Daily Republican ~ Monday ~ October 24, 1898 ~ Page 3)


Died, at his home in this city on Saturday night, September 11th, S. J. England, aged seventy-nine years and four months.  The funeral services were held in the Christian church, the Rev. Cummins of Hutchinson, officiating, and interment took place in the Burrton cemetery.
(Newton Evening Kansan ~ Saturday ~ September 17, 1898 ~ Page 3)


George Cockrell who has made his home at Burrton for the past three years, died at the home of D. W. Wilson Sunday night.  He was born at Richfield, Ill., in 1878 and came here with his brother Elmer.  He was a good hearted, industriuos boy, and will be much missed by his large circle of friends.  The funeral was held in the Christian church and the body interred in the Burrton cemetery.  A sister, Miss May Cockrell, came from Norborne, Mo., to attend the funeral.
(Newton Kansan-Republican ~ Friday ~ January 11, 1901 ~ Page 3)



Mrs. John Mardis Who Lived in Reno County Many Years Passes Away

Mrs. John Mardis, one of the old settlers of this county, died at her home in Valley township last Wednesday.  The immediate cause of her death was paralysis, but she had been an invalid for the past years.  Mrs. Mardis was a native of Ohio, and came to Kansas with her husband seventeen years ago, settling on the farm east of the city where they have since lived.  She was 69 years of age.  Her husband and three daughters survive her.  The latter are Mrs. James Brown of Pratt, Mrs. W. J. Vansickle of Valley township and Lizzie, who lives at home.  "Grandma" Mardis was loved by all who knew her, and her funeral, which was held from the United Brethren church in Valley township yesterday forenoon, was attended by a large concourse of mourners.  The services were conducted by Rev. Blinn, assisted by Rev. Cunningham, and the remains were laid to rest in the Burrton cemetery.
(Hutchinson News ~ Saturday ~ January 26, 1901 ~ Page 5)



F. M. Payne, an old and highly respected resident of Burrton township living near Burrton died Sunday.  His death was caused by an attack of typhoid fever of several weeks duration.  Mr. Payne came to Harvey county in an early day and is well and favorable known to many people of the country.  He was an old soldier, a member of the Masonic fraternity under whose auspices the funeral was conducted.  The funeral was held yesterday morning.  Interment was made in Burrton cemetery.
(Newton Evening Kansan-Republican ~ Wednesday ~ October 21, 1903 ~ Page 4)



A setting sun at Newton Thursday evening marked the close of a full day devoted to the celebration of the now completed New Santa Fe Trail, and furnished an appropriate setting for the closing program, a memorial to the late John C. Mack, of Newton, whose vision and energy helped make the trail possible.  Tribute to Newton's former editor, highway commissioner and premier road booster was paid by W. A. White, of Emporia; Gov. Clyde Reed and W. G. Anderson, of Winfield, highway commissioner.

"John Mack was Kansas' best informed man on roads," Governor Reed said.  "His death constitutes a serious loss to the state."

The quiet half hour of eulogy was held after 6 o'clock in Newton's municipal auditorium.  At its close, the road boosters who had come all the way from Ottawa, were taken to the Newton Kansan building where they were the guests of Mrs. John Mack.  Orangeade was served to the tired and thirsty trippers in the Good Will room.  Dinner at the Ripley hotel followed and the celebration was over.
(Emporia Weekly Gazette ~ July 31, 1930)


Leon Dixon, 60, of Mound Ridge, warehouse supervisor for Wenger Oil Co., died Sunday (Feb. 18, 1990) in Mercy Hospital.

He was born May 20, 1929, in Alton, Ill., to Jeff and Mable (Newton) Dixon.

On May 1, 1947, he married Betty Gillmartin in Newton.

Survivors include his wife; two sons, Jesse of Goessel and James of Sedgwick; his mother of Coffeyville; two brothers, Dale of Tulsa and Thair of Clarksdale, Mo.; a sister, opal Martin of Minneapolis, Minn.; and nine grandchildren.

Services will be at 10 a.m. Thursday in the Draper Canon Funeral Home Chapel in Newton with burial in Newton's Greenwood Cemetery.

Friends may call at the funeral home until 9 p.m. today, from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesday and until service time on Thursday.

The family suggests memorials to the American Cancer Society.
(Unknown Newspaper ~ Submitted by FOFG)


Back to Index Page

Copyright © to Kansas Genealogy Trails' Harvey County host & all Contributors
  All rights reserved