Died in the Line of Duty

Sheriff Bell suffered a fatal heart attack while struggling to subdue a prisoner. Sheriff Bell and the Undersheriff were escorting the prisoner, one on either side, to the Saline County District Courtroom to face a trial for murdering his wife. While being walked to the courtroom the man threw back his elbows, striking both men in the face. Sheriff Bell suffered the heart attack during the attack.



Frank Blizzard of Howard, Kas., May Have Been Victim of Plot

Was Washing His Motor Car When Dynamite Explosion Occurred - May Have Been Suicide, but Affairs in Good Shape

Coffeyville, Kas., Dec. 30 - Frank Blizzard sheriff of Elk County was killed this afternoon by a charge of dynamite on a road near Pawpaw Creek, a mile north of Howard, the county seat. Blizzard was washing his motor car at the time of the explosion and it is believed he either was a victim of a plot or committed suicide. He was alone at the time and the full details are not available.

Sheriff Blizzard drove his car into the creek, evidently to wash it, when a terrific explosion was heard by a man working on an oil pipe line nearby. He found the car demolished and the body, badly mangled, some distance away. A coroner's inquest will be held tomorrow.
Friends of Blizzard say he had no known enemies. They also say his affairs are in good shape. Blizzard owns a farm near Howard, which he had intended to occupy March 1. A number of sticks of dynamite were found near the scene of the tragedy. The fact that dynamite will not explode easily has led many to believe that Blizzard either killed himself or was killed in revenge. He had served two terms in the office of sheriff and his successor would have taken office in ten days. The theory that a small quantity of nitroglycerine may have been ignited to set off the dynamite is being investigated by the authorities at Howard. No evidence so far as is known here was found to indicate that the explosion was of nitroglycerine.

Sheriff Blizzard was 50 years old and is survived by his wife and three children. Miss Elizabeth Blizzard, employed by an oil company at Bartlesville, Ok., John and Dorothy, both of Howard. A daughter, Vada, 10 years old, was drowned while wading in a creek near Howard with a number of playmates three years ago. (Kansas City Star, December 31, 1920, page 2)


State into Sheriff's Death

Assistant Attorney General of Kansas to Take Charge of Probe

Topeka, July 24 - J. P. Coleman assistant attorney general, went to Morton County today to take charge of the investigation into the murder of Martin Moore, sheriff, and the alleged derelictions of other officials in failing to arrest all of those implicated in the murder. Coleman went to Rolla at the request of Governor Capper, who received a telegram from George J. Downer, judge of the district court, asking for help. The citizens of Morton County filed a long petition with the district judge, saying that some county officials were not prosecuting the investigation into the murder.

Dodge City, Kas., July 24 - Four more men are held as a result of the slaying of Sheriff Martin Moore at Rolla in Morton County Saturday night. Lewis Perkins, S. Y., McCarty, Joe and Walter Elttell are charged with helping Don Vanwormer to escape from the sheriff a moment before he seized a revolver and shot the officer. Vanwormer is held at Liberal, being taken there from Hugoton, the Stevens County seat, where he was first taken because of fear of mob violence. (Kansas City Star, July 24, 1916, page 4)


Kansas Slayer Pleads Guilty

A Life Sentence for Homer Cullor Who Killed Walter Davis

Emporia, Kas., Oct. 12 - Homer M. Cullor, held on the charge of having killed Walter Davis, ex-sheriff of Lyon County, pleaded guilty in the district court today and was sentenced to life imprisonment. Cullor shot Davis while resisting arrest and wounded four members of a posse before he was captured. (Kansas City Star, October 12, 1916, page 1)

Hold a Sheriff's Slayer Here

Homer M. Cullor will be taken to Emporia for trial.

Homer M. Cullor, for whom a nation wide search was made before he was arrested at Keokuk, Ia., as the slayer of Walter Davis, sheriff of Lyon County, Kansas was in a cell at police headquarters today for safekeeping before being taken to Emporia, Kas., for trial. He is in charge of Wallace Jones, Davis's successor.

Cullor killed Davis, August 16 and wounded four other men in escaping arrest on a charge of highway robbery. Police departments everywhere were notified, circulars were sent out and rewards totaling $1,000 were offered. (Kansas City Star, August 29, 1916, page 12)


Kansan Arrested Following Killing of Tom Carson at Salina

Salina, Kas., Nov. 29 - A man giving his name as Art Williams and his residence near Grinnell, Kas., is being held today in connection with the killing of Tom Carson, policeman, at the union station last night. According to the officers, Williams says he was put off the first section of Union Pacific train No. 119 at Junction City last night, but that he came in on the "blind" of the second section to Salina.

It was while the first section was here, that Carson was killed. A Union Pacific detective admits he put the man off the train at Junction City. The officer's theory is that Williams managed to get on the train again. They declare positively that no man came in on the blind of the second section. (Kansas City Star, November 29, 1920, page 2)


Santa Fe Railroad Detective is Murdered

Traveling Men Robbed

Then the posse gets busy and goes after the highwaymen - short, but decisive, battle and the chapter is closed forever

Winfield, Kan. July 12 - C. S. Calhoun of Kansas City, an Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe railroad detective, was shot and instantly killed today by two outlaws, who were shot later by a posse of citizens at Hewins, seven miles from Cedarville, close to the Oklahoma state line. One of the outlaws, Ed Madigan of Ponca City, Okla., was instantly killed by the posse. The other, William Chadburn of this city was fatally wounded.
Madigan and Chadburn held up and robbed six traveling men at the Britton hotel at Winfield on Sunday night last and escaped. At Cedarville last night Detective Calhoun encountered both of the outlaws on the street. Not being positive of their identity, Calhoun secured the city marshal and one of the traveling men who were robbed and the three started in a carriage in search of the two men. Early they drove past the men in a side street today. The traveling man identified them and the trio in the carriage were just in the act of making a stand when either Madigan or Chadburn opened fire. Calhoun was shot through the heart and the outlaws made their escape temporarily. The town was aroused and the outlaws stole two horses and started for Hewins.

Close - in Firing

While a posse was gathering at Cedarville word was wired ahead to Hewins where the deputy sheriff quickly gathered a score of armed men about him. Within two hours the outlaws rode up to a hardware store at Hewins, secured a rifle and revolver and started out of town on a gallop. Just as Madigan and Chadburn were leaving the main street the posse opened fire from the protection of a store. The robbers returned the fire and a livery fusillade ensued. Finally Madigan fell. Another bullet soon brought Chadburn to the ground, shot through the bowels. During the exchange of shots J. M. Pope, a member of the posse received a slight wound in the foot and a Mrs. Malone who had been attracted to the scene by the firing, was shot in the leg. Her wound is not serious. Madigan's body was taken to Cedarville and Chadburn was placed in the hospital where it is said he cannot live. Madigan and Chadburn were each under 20 years of age. Chadburn had served time in the Kansas penitentiary for robbery. Nothing is known of Madigan. Calhoun was 40 years old. (Anaconda Standard, July 13, 1905, page 2)


Post Office Thieves Slay A City Marshal

Kansas City, Mo., Jan. 21 - Yesterday morning at 3 o'clock burglars effected an entrance to the postoffice at Osawatomie, Kan., by cutting a pane of glass out of the rear door. The safe was then blown open by an explosive. City Marshal James H. Helms, hearing the detonation, started to investigate but when he reached the back door of the postoffice the robbers fired three shots at him, one entering his breast, two inches above the right nipple killing him almost instantly. An alarm was raised immediately but up to this hour no clue to the murderers have been secured. The murdered city marshal leaves a wife and several children. (Jersey Journal, January 21, 1895, page 3)



Topeka - A 32 year old police officer was found shot to death early today on top of a building where he apparently had interrupted an attempted burglary.

He was Clarence L. Shields, a member of the police force since 1949 and the father of two small children.

A man identified as Curtis Gene Shoop, 23, was under police guard at Stermont Hospital where he was being treated for a bullet wound in his left temple. (El Dorado Times)


Three Others Are Wounded Before Killer Dies in Flames of his Own Home

Abilene, April 25 - Roads leading to the Charles Rush farm near Abilene, were blocked late yesterday as authorities sought to halt the curiosity seekers who swarmed to the area after two officers were killed and their berserk slayer died in the flames of his home.

Killed were Dickinson county, Sheriff E. F. Davis, 38 and Milton Davis, 58, his deputy, who also was his brother.

The body of Charles K. Rush, about 65, was found in the charred remains of the farm home.

County Attorney John Rugh said the elderly farmer shot and killed the two officers, after shooting and wounding his housekeeper, his brother-in-law and a neighbor.
Rush's body was found about 10 feet from a shotgun which authorities said he presumably used in the shooting.

Shot From Outside

Attorney Rush said a preliminary investigation "strongly indicated" that the officers were shot from outside the house.

The three injured are Mrs. Mae Pettriess, the housekeeper; Mervin Franks, Rush's brother-in-law, and Fred Yuhl, a neighbor.

Mrs. Pettriess said she heard one shot fired before she was wounded. Franks said he was awakened when Rush turned on alight. He said the man then raised the gun and fired.

Franks was struck in the face. He "played dead" for 30 minutes and then ran from the house.

Mrs. Pettriess ran to a neighbor's to summon aid after she was shot.

Rush, meanwhile, was pouring gasoline around the base of his home. He previously had set two outbuildings a fire.

The neighbor, Yuhl attracted by the flames was shot and wounded when he approached. (El Dorado Times, Monday, April 25, 1949)

Back to Index Page

Copyright © to Kansas Genealogy Trails' host & all Contributors
  All rights reserved