Died in the Line of Duty


Police Sergeant Run Down, Killed

Kansas City, Kan. - A police sergeant was struck and killed by a stolen vehicle as he attempted to stop it by placing spikes in the street.
Police arrested Tracy Markee, 26, within minutes of the incident and Michael Turckes, 20, early Friday morning. Both Kansas City, Kan., men are being held in the Wyandotte County Jail, each on 41 million bond.

Markee is charged with capital murder, two counts of auto theft, one count of auto burglary and one count of assault on a law enforcement officer. Turckes is charged with first-degree murder, two counts of auto theft and one count of auto burglary.

The stolen vehicle hit Sgt. Richard Asten on Thursday and threw or dragged him about 250 feet, police said. Asten 46, was flown to the University of Kansas Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 8:50 a.m. Thursday.

Asten was following departmental procedures regarding chases, police said. Police Chief James Swafford said, "All indications are that it was totally avoidable."

Police Sgt. Mike Hughes said the incident began when officers began pursuing a Chevrolet Blazer owned by Tri County Concrete Inc. after employees saw a man stealing it.

Asten responded to the call and prepared to lay a spiked tube, called "stop sticks," across the Blazer's path. The Blazer came toward him, "swerved and deliberately struck the sergeant," police said in a statement. (Statewide - The Hutchinson News, Saturday, June 13, 1998, Page A3)


Fights at two prisons leave guard dead

Weekend fights at two of Kansas' maximum-security prisons left one guard dead and another guard and an inmate hospitalized, prison officials said Sunday night.

A recreation yard fight at Lansing Correctional Facility began shortly after 3 p.m. Saturday, said Bill Lucas, acting prison spokesman.

A disturbance at El Dorado Correctional Facility slightly injured a guard and an inmate when a group of prisoners refused to return to their cells.
At Lansing, two guards and an inmate were beaten with bar bell plates and a stocking cap stuffed with pool balls.

Officers Mary Avery and Michael Bidatsch and inmate David Reich were attacked. Avery died Sunday at the University of Kansas Medical Center, Lucas said.

Bidatsch and Reich remained hospitalized Sunday at Providence St. Margaret Medical Center in Kansas City, Kan.

Bidatsch was hospitalized for observations and Reich was in stable condition and out of intensive care, Lucas said.

The fight in the yard ended "within a matter of two to three minutes," said Lucas. This was not any type of riot situation.

Officials did not know what caused the fight or how many inmates were involved, but Lucas said those involved would be questioned.

The prison's 750 maximum-security inmates were confined to the cells after the attack and remained in their cells Sunday. The 900 medium - and minimum - security inmates were not confined. The prison is about 20 miles north of Kansas City.

At El Dorado six to 10 inmates refused to leave the recreation yard Saturday afternoon, said Deputy warden Don Thomas. A prison tactical team of about 50 officers went in the area and ordered the prisoners back to their cells.

Most of the 100 to 150 were voluntarily restrained, Thomas said, but the group of six to 10 had to e physically restrained. The inmate and officer were hurt during the scuffle.

The inmates involved were part of a gang, Thomas said.

We do have the facility on a sort of temporary lockdown while we sort things out, Thomas said Sunday. They will stay locked in their cells and the food lines and medical lines will be brought to them.

Prison activities should return to normal by Monday, he said.

The incident was videotaped and an investigation was under way. The disturbance was the first at the prison, which holds 581 inmates and is located about 150 miles southwest of Kansas City.

The guard was treated at a hospital and released later Saturday. The inmate was treated at the prison. (The Salina Journal, Monday, May 24, 1993, page 3)


Kansas deputy, two Negroes killed after Highway Robbery

Kansas City, Kans. - Aug. 30 - A Wyandotte county deputy sheriff and two Negroes were killed by gunfire Sunday after the robbery of a motorist on a country road northwest of Kansas City, Kns.

Dead were Maurice Bedell, the deputy, Arthur Herviey, believed to have committed the robbery, and an unidentified Negro who ran from officers when challenged. (Morning Avalanche, Lubbock, Texas, August 31, 1954)


Kingman Remains Mum on Murder

Kingman - A strict clamp on information continued here Monday night as officers continued to investigate the Sunday slaying of Kingman police Capt. Larry G. Beery, 29.

Beery was shot as he was apparently investigating reports of burglaries here. According to a news release, the weapon used in the slaying was Beery's service revolver, which was found Sunday in a yard near the scene.

The body was found in an alley near the Donley Osteopathic Clinic shortly after 2 a.m. Sunday. Two burglaries were later found to have been committed, one at a John Deere implement company, the other at a hobby shop.

The release said the burglaries may have been connected with the shooting.

No More Word

Since that release, given by spokesman here Sunday, no substantive details have been released.

Officers of the Kingman County Sheriff's office, the Kingman police department, Kansas Bureau of Investigation continued to meet here through the day and night Monday.

Kingman County Sheriff Leighton Trickel and Kingman Police Chief Charles D. Hanna were not available for comment Monday night.

At Hutchinson, Bob Adams, Hutchinson chief of police and president of the Kansas Peace Officers Association, announced Monday morning that the association has contributed $1,000 toward a reward fund for information leading to solution of the shooting.

Adams said he hoped other organizations would contribute to the fund, which he said was set at $5,000.

Issue pickup

According to information released Sunday, police issued a pickup order for a blue or blue-green car carrying two persons.

The first reports of the slaying said Beery was found dead after reports of the gunshots in the area around the clinic. Beery had been on foot, in plain clothes, checking buildings for reported burglaries.

The body was discovered about an hour after Kingman police and sheriff's officers and Highway Patrol troopers had thrown up roadblocks around the city.

Funeral services for Beery, a former Wichitan, were scheduled for Tuesday morning at the Gideon Baptist Church, Wichita. (The Hutchinson News, Tuesday, April 17, 1973, page 3)

Kingman - Larry G. Beery, 29, a Kingman policeman was killed Sunday in the line of duty. Born July 23, 1943, at Wichita, he married Jerrie Irene Grimes, May 18, 1963, at San Antonio, Tex. He was a police officer and lived here 16 months.

He was a member of the Gideon Baptist Church, Wichita.

Survivors include the widow; son: Gregg, of the home; daughter, Lisa, of the home; parents, Mr. and Mrs. Iven Berry, Wichita, brothers, Leroy Joseph, Denver, Colo.; Irvin L., Maize, sister; Mrs. Mary McIntosh, Wichita.

Funeral will be at 10 a.m. Tuesday at the church, Rev. Anthony L. Slutz. Burial will be at Clear Creek, Tex. Friends may call from 2 to 9 p.m. Monday at Livingston Mortuary, Kingman. (The Hutchinson News, Monday, April 16, 1973)


Two Dead after Helicopter Crashes

Topeka, Kan. - A police officer who had started pilot training three months ago was at the controls of a helicopter that crashed early Tuesday, killing him and another officer.

The officers had been investigating what turned out to be a false alarm at a home improvement warehouse. The helicopter was circling around the warehouse as other officers were inside.

Jeff Howey, 37, the pilot and Charles Bohlender, Jr., 33, died when the helicopter crashed into a field and burst into flames shortly after midnight.

Howey started training as a pilot March 22 and received his certification April 22. Police said he had 151 hours of flight time before he was certified. The Federal Aviation Administration requires 40 hours.

Police would not speculate about the cause of the crash. They said the department's remaining three helicopters would be grounded until an investigation was completed by the FAA, National Transportation Safety Board and Kansas Highway Patrol. (Pharos Tribune, June 14, 2000, A7)


Newton Officer Dies as Result of His Injuries

Newton, Kas., June 18 - Harry Bolin, 37, assistant chief of the Newton Police force, died last night from injuries suffered Wednesday morning when a police car struck a culvert at the outskirts of Newton.

Officers were pursuing a speeding automobile which was being driven without lights, C. E. Atwell, special officer for the Santa Fe and Charles Kingsbury, Newton policeman were injured but are recovering.

Bolin is survived by his widow and a son, his parents, Mr. and Mrs. E. L. Bolin of Jetmore, Kas., two brothers, Claude J. of Jetmore and Webster T. Bolin, circulation manager of the Newton Kansan-Republican, and a sister, Mrs. Mabel Furman of Newton. He was born at Elliinwood, Kas., and has lived here since 1918. (The Hutchinson News, Saturday, June 18, 1932)


Police officer killed

Sheriff's deputy dies; Hesston detective shot four times

Newton - A Newton man suspected of fatally shooting a sheriff's deputy and critically injuring another officer was taken into custody Saturday morning after a standoff.

Kansas Bureau of Investigation spokesman Kyle Smith said Gregory Moore, 46, is suspected of shooting the law enforcement officers when they barged into his house after hearing a woman being struck.

Harvey County sheriff's deputy Kurt Ford, 38, was killed, and Hesston police Detective Chris Eilert, 33, was shot four times but survived.

Smith said Moore is being held in an undisclosed jail outside of Newton. He said Moore hasn't yet been charged with a crime and that charges could come as soon as Monday.

The officers went to Moore's home after a 14-year-old girl called police around 12:50 a.m. Saturday to say her mother was being beaten and that the suspect had a gun.

Around 3 a.m. law enforcement got in contact with Moore and the unidentified woman by telephone and Moore agreed to talk to Ford and Eilert at the door.

During the conversation, authorities said the woman indicated she wanted to leave. The door slammed shut authorities said and the officers heard her being hit.

The two officers rushed into the house and were met by gunfire. The hostage - whom authorities described only as living at the residence in a romantic relationship with the suspect - broke free from Moore and was able to escape unharmed.

Other law enforcement officers were able to retrieve the two officers, Eilert, who had been with the Hesston police department for five years, was sent to Wesley Medical Center in Wichita where he was in stable condition and expected to make a full recovery, Smith said.

Smith said Moore, who was not hurt, remained barricaded in the house for another five hours before surrendering around 8:30 a.m.

Smith said officers found a handgun and shotgun in the two-story home in a well kept, middle-class neighborhood.

The suspect was well known to local law enforcement officials, who had been called out to the house several times in the past.

Those who knew Ford described him as just a super guy, a good cop.

He was always there to help, said Harvey County Commissioner Ron Krehbiel, a former sheriff's deputy.

Ford had just returned to the Harvey County Sheriff's Department in January. He had worked at the Harvey County Jail in 1988, and after that he went to Hesston where he worked for the police department and served as chief. He also worked at the sheriff's office in Colorado Springs. (Salina Journal, April 10, 2005 A3, Sunday)

Back to Index Page

Copyright © to Kansas Genealogy Trails' host & all Contributors
  All rights reserved