The first saloon was operated by a Mr. Niggley, and the first stock was a keg of beer, a hoop of cheese, a sack of dried apples and a few gallons of whiskey.

The city added appreciably to its: revenue by licensing the saloons, and brothels. ( No, that wasn’t a misprint. )

Early businesses included a general store by J.D. Flannery; Heineke & Cowgill furniture store; Johnson & Haskell lumber yard (on the present Solt location) two blacksmith shops, A. Simis Jr. Drug Store, A.M. Pickett photograph shop, J.D. Farwell hardware store. It was a donation from this family which gave the name to Farwell Hall in the Methodist church.

The present remodeled building owned and occupied by Attorney Rowland Edwards was the Adams House, operated by Mrs. Mary Adams, mother of the late F.S. Adams, who was the stepfather of Mrs. W.L. Wanamaker and Milt Parker. J. Miexell had another hardware store on the Dummermuth building site.

He had a two handle fire pump to pump water from the cisterns in case of fire.

This was Waterville's first fire department.

Doctor Adams told about seeing pioneer wagons coming through bearing signs, "Kansas or Bust" and seeing them later moving eastward with the sign, "Busted by G--". Jerky (dried buffalo meat) was brought in, long strips selling for a nickel.

A sorghum mill was located by the Nyes, on the 80 owned by Lester Schirck. Cane was processed into syrup and hauled through town to Nyes where it was processed into juice, then boiled down to syrup. "Nothing tasted better than a piece of the sugar cane, cut off and stripped of the skin and then dipped into the fresh hot syrup," Doctor (Bud) Adams said. (Waterville, Kansas Centennial, May 1970 an the first 100 years - submitted by Verlin Wichman)


Slayer of Deputy Marshal Roberts Behind Bars

Jail Breaker Adds to His Numerous Crimes that of Murder – Desperate Race for Liberty

E. F. Estelle, the Marshall county safe-blower who shot and killed Deputy Marshall Roberts of Dunlap, Sunday morning while resisting arrest, was captured five miles southeast of Hartford last night. When captured, Estelle and his accomplice, James Murphy, were asleep in the woods. Murphy at once surrendered, but Estelle started to run, and was shot through one of his legs. The men were taken to the Lyon county jail at Emporia, where they were at once threatened by mob violence. A large number of Morris county people who were friends of the murdered deputy, were anxious to avenge his death.

Estelle was located in the woods in the vicinity of Dunlap in Morris county, early Sunday morning. Some of the officers attempted to arrest him, when he discharged a shot gun at the party, the shot passing through the heart of Deputy Roberts. The other officers fled, not knowing how well the fugitives might be armed.

Estelle and his companion then started in a southerly direction, pursued by a posse of hundreds of farmers and others. Yesterday afternoon they were surrounded in some woods between Burlington and Emporia and after some hours of waiting on the part of the officers, they were captured.

The posse making the capture was in command of Sheriff O’Connor, of Emporia, and was composed of citizens and officers from various places, among whom were Patrolman Carpenter, of Topeka and Sheriff Guthrie of Marshall County.

Estelle escaped from jail in Marshall county on May 9, and Sheriff Guthrie immediately undertook his recapture. The sheriff followed him over 150 miles at some times not being more than twenty minutes behind him. During the time Estelle and his companion were trying to escape they stole two horses. Murphy his companion, escaped from the jail at the same time as Estelle. He was not an accomplice in the crime for which Estelle was confined in the jail, however, Estelle will now have to face the charges of safe-blowing, horse-stealing, resisting an officer and murder.


Estelle was arrested in this city January 29, on the charge of breaking a safe at Irving, Kan. In 1896 he blew open a safe in the postoffice at Altamont, Kan., for which crime he served a sentence of twenty-seven months in the Federal Penitentiary at Leavenworth. Previous to the time of his imprisonment he had formed the acquaintance of Miss Nora Lowman of Lafontaine, Kan., and wishing to marry her, he kept up a correspondence with her all the time he was in prison. He sent the letters to some friends in Dennison, Tex., who forwarded them to the girl. She was ignorant of the fact that he was in prison, and in his letters he represented to her that he was in the book business in Dennison and was doing well. He told her that one of the books he was selling was a Life of Christ, and to confirm his statement he sent her a copy of the book.

After his release from prison Estelle went to the farm of the girl’s father and proposed that they be married. Miss Lowman consented and they went to Iola on January 18, where the ceremony was performed. From Iola they came to Topeka and took lodging at a local hotel. On January 25 he told his wife he was going to Kansas City but instead went to Irving, where he robbed the safe on January 26. He came back to this city and began to place in circulation some of the money taken from the safe. The money was battered and gave the suspicion that something was wrong. On the night of January 29 he was arrested by Sergeant Donovan and a force of policemen.

Detective Gilmore and Chief Ramsey then started out on a tour of investigation. Estelle claimed that he had not been in Irving on the day of the robbery, but the officers named visited a number of towns and traced Estelle from Topeka to Irving and from there back to this city.

The fact was quite well established that he had committed the robbery and he was turned over to Sheriff Guthrie of Marshall county, from whom he escaped on May 9.


A few days after Estelle was taken to the Marshall county jail, Detective Gilmore visited him for the purpose of trying to obtain a confession. After two days work, Estelle made a full confession to Gilmore in which he said that he had committed the crime for which he was arrested. He took the detective to the place where he had hidden some of the things taken from the safe. He gave a history of all his actions in connection with the affair including the manner in which he was married.

Estelle is an innocent appearing man, but his photograph is in the Pinkerton collection of criminals and in every rogue’s gallery west of Chicago. He is an accomplished criminal and has escaped from prison many times. (Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital, May 15, 1900)


Wednesday Mrs. John Lord left little Alvin, a year and a half old, asleep in the house and went across to Mrs. Mohacner’s for something. Before returning home she helped Mrs. Mohacner dry her dinner dishes. In the meantime Alvin awoke from his nap, and a boy of that age, if left alone, is bound to get into mischief of some kind, which he did. He climbed out of his bed, went into the kitchen, pulled his high chair up to the stove and climbed up into it. Now on the stove there was a frying pan with some water in it and there was some else containing flour. This seem to suit Alvin O.K. so he commenced mixing the flour into the water. This operation continued until the youngster’s father, John Lord, happened to go into the house for something and discovered what was going on. When John asked Alvin what he was doing he said: Makein’ gaby” meaning gravy. When Alvin gets a little older he will no doubt relieve his mother of the cooking. (Submitted by Georganna Thompson Tilton)


A Kansas Farmer's Wife Kills Herself and Her Seven Children

Marysville, Kas., Jan. 15---Driven to a frenzy by poverty and misfortune, Mrs. Joseph Hildebrandt, a farmer's wife living near here, Monday morning administered poison to her eight children and then hung herself to a rafter. Seven of the children are dead and the remaining one may die.

Mrs. Hildebrandt and children have for some time been suffering for the necessaties of life, as her husband, Joseph Hildebrandt, is in a Kansas City hospital, undergoing treatment for cancer.

Monday morning the mother administered poison to her eight children, ranging from 3 to 14 years, took a dose of the drug herself, and then hung herself to a beam in the barn. Seven of the children died during the night, and when neighbors went to the house yesterday morning a dreadful sight was presented. The seven children were lying about the place and their positions showed that they had died in great agony. A physician was summoned for the child that still showed signs of life, but there is little hope of saving it.

The mother was found dead in the barn, hanging by a halter.

The neighbors were greatly shocked, as this is a rich community and help would have been readily extended the family had their needs been known.
(Kansas City Star ~ January 15, 1896)


He Then Cuts His Own Throat and Will Probably Die

Marysville, Kan., May 31---George Mack, a farmer living five miles south of here, killed his wife yesterday by crushing her skull with a spading fork. He was 63 years old, and she 50. They had been living apart. Mack went to his wife's house, and, failing to make peace, he killed her. He then cut his own throat and jumped into the river, but crawled out again, and was found on the bank in an unconscious condition. He will probably die.
(Daily Inter Ocean ~ June 1, 1896)


Wealthy Kansas Farmer Drowns Himself to Escape Prosecution. Urged Brother to Be Good

MARYSVILLE, Kan., April 18---Because he had not listed all his property with the county assessor, and feared an investigation that would cause him to be sent to prison, James Clarke, 55 years of age, a wealthy farmer near here, drowned himself in the Blue river. His body was found today. In a note to his younger brother, Stuart Clarke, the man stated he had failed to list $25,000 worth of notes.

After stating his fears regarding prosecution, Clarke wrote, "Go to church, never tell a lie, always keep employed and never drink whisky."
(Gazette-Telegraph ~ April 19, 1909)


Marysville, Kan., April 8 - Deputy Sheriff Batterson was called to the door of the county jail early in the morning by a man who dealt him a blow with a bar of iron that crushed his skull and caused his death. Stepping over his unconscious body, the stranger unlocked the cells wherein were confined four burglars, releasing all of them. The discovery was not made until four hours later when Sheriff Huff went to the jail to relieve Batterson from his watch.

Posses were at once organized and started in several directions. Blood hounds were secured from Beatrice, Neb., and placed on the trail of the gang, which appears to have started east along the line of the Grand Island railroad. If captured there may be a lynching. The names of the robbers are: Jim Dalton, Ed Boyle, Tom Taylor and Homer Lane. (Kalamazoo Gazette, April 9, 1898, page 2)


Marysville, Kan., April 8 - One of the escaped prisoners, Homer Lane, was captured east of Blue Rapids and brought back to jail this morning. The blood hounds traced Dalton's gang to the railroad yards at Blue Rapids and then stopped.

It is reported that Dalton's gang was seen today near Blue Rapids. Sheriff Huff, Deputy Wm. heny, and Fulton with his hounds left here about 4 p.m. to go to investigate.

The large cell of the jail has a caricature on the wall. Over it is the word "Batted," under it "Batterson" and in a brace at the side is "Jim Dalton, Ed Royal and Kid Taylor," also "Goodbye," written in large letters. Batterson is some better today, but still unconscious. (Kansas Semi Weekly Capital, April 12, 1898, page 6)


Marshall County Prisoners Slay Their Keeper

Deputy Sheriff Attacked While Alone and Horribly Butchered - Bloodhounds on the Trail

Marysville, Kan., April 7 - About 6 o'clock this morning, when Sheriff Huff went into the jail he found the deputy, Chas. Batterson, lying in the vestibule in a pool of blood.

He called a man to stay while he went for help. Batterson was mangled badly. There was a gash in his head through which his brains oozed out. He was literally split to pieces, but is still living, though he will not be able to survive the night. It was the work of the four inmates who had their work well planned before hand. One hasp of the cell door was sawed, then sliced with wire over which they melted soap and soot. In the dark corner it could not be detected.Their weapons was an iron bar taken from the bed. The two were wild with excitement this morning. Blood hounds were brought from Beatrice and a large posse of over fifty men started in pursuit. At last report they had gone to Plaster Mills near Blue Rapids, then started east. The dogs were still on the scene. The three robbers' names are: J. S. Dalton of the Dalton gang, Tom Taylor and Ed Royal. The fourth Homer W. Lane who was serving a six month sentence for petty larceny. Batterson was removed from the jail to Dr. Wilson's hospital and has been attended by four physicians. Wilson, Edwards, Breeding and Hausman. (Kansas Semi Weekly Capital, April 8, 1898, page 2)


The folks in the Oketo neighborhood welcome Herman Heyers home one day last week. He left there a few years ago and has been trying to make it in Missouri. He has seen the error of his way, however, repented, and will not repeat the offense. A man who has any kind of a decent hold in Marshall county has no excuse for letting go. (Fair Play, November 4, 1898, page 2)


Marysville, Kan. Jan. 22 - George Tennyson charged with the murder of his father, David Tennyson, was Tuesday bound over at the close of the preliminary hearing before Justice Armstrong, to the district court for trial. A bond of $10,000 is required which Tennyson says he can secure. (Wichita Searchlight, January 25, 1908, page 3)


Judge William P. Hadden, aged 75, one of the oldest residents of Kansas was found dead just east of Summerfield Friday night. His wagon had turned over on him. He was the first probate judge of Marshal county. (Sedan Lance, December 5, 1895, page 4)


Flames Eat up $8,000 Worth of Property - Ten Horses Burned

Beattie, Kan., April 20 - Fire started in Keiper's livery barn at 1 o'clock this morning and spread from there to Burnside Brothers' billiard hall, Button's grocery, Watkins' jewelry store, Tucker's meat market, Doctors Pennington and Hatch's office and Conger's barber shop, and all were totally destroyed. The contents of a livery barn consisted of ten horses, a dozen buggies, harness, etc. The contents of the other buildings were badly damaged. The fire is generally supposed to have been accidental. The losses will aggregate $8,000.

The losses as nearly as can be estimated are as follows: Keiper's livery barn, $1,500; insured for $300; livery stock owned by Button & Son, $1,000, insured for $500, Burnside Brothers' billiard hall and contents, $1,200, no insurance; Button's grocery stock, $800, insured for $250 and building owned by Keiper, $600, insured for $100; W. Watkins' jewelry, building and contents, $1,500 insured for $200; Mary A. Sheldon, meat market, building $500, insured for $300, contents owned by M. A. Tucker, $150; Doctors Pennington and Hatch's office, $300, insured for $100; Conger's barber shop, loss on building and furniture, $250 insured for $200; the postoffice and goods of D. J. Kelley, McCoy & Wuester, and Bell Brothers, were damaged by removal but the buildings were saved. The Modern Woodmen and Knights and Ladies of Security hall, with all contents were destroyed. (Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital, April 23, 1897, page 2)


Omaha, Nov. 23 - Fremont county has become excited over the death of the fifth wife of Wm. Mayhar. Mrs. Mayhar died suddenly October 28th. She had taken three four-grained capsules for headache. In less than an hour she was dead. Rumor had it that Mayhar had made way with several wives and the coroner determined to hold an inquest.

The body of wife No. 5 was disinterred, the stomach, brain and lungs sent to the State Chemist for analysis disclosed strychnine posing and the jury yesterday rendered a verdict in accordance with the facts.

Mayhar is 60 years old and a native of Ireland. When 21 years old he married a California woman who soon died of consumption. Mayhar says that in 1868 he married Miss Travis, in two years she was taken sick and died. Three months later Mayhar married Hattie Hoon, a Sidney, Iowa woman. She lived 12 years. Mayhar moved to Axtell, Kans and one morning wife No 3 died while at the breakfast table. After a lapse of three years Mayhar married Miss Anna Lamb, of Sidney. They went to Axtell, and there wife No 4 died of spinal trouble, according to Mayhar’s story. Then Mayhar married Mrs. Erbeck, a widow with two small children. The death of wife No. 5 was as related above. (Vernon Courier, Lamar County AL, Dec 1, 1892 submitted by Veneta McKinney)

The Marysville News says:  "For some time an old man named R. M. Stillwell has occupied quarters in the Marshall county poor house.  He is 75 years old, and, until last week, all that was known of him was that he came from Canada West, and expected to fill a pauper's grave.  But news reached him that changed the slow current of his life, and made him an object of curiosity in the neighborhood.  This information was to the effect that by the death of a sister he was the sole possessor of $275,000.  Last week the old gentleman took the train for Canada, and ere this is in possession of this wealth.  Before his departure the old man desired us to return his grateful thanks to the people for their care of him, and said he was coming back with a big flock of sheep.  Whether he keeps his promise or remains in Canada, we hope he will have $275,000 worth of fun out of the money."
(Fort Scott Daily Monitor ~ Tuesday ~ August 17, 1875 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)

Wm. Helms, an insane man, on the 20th inst., attacked Wilson Martin, the keeper of the Marshall county Poor Farm, and seriously injured him with a stick of wood.  This is one of the results of sending insane persons to poor houses for custody; a necessity for want of sufficient room in the present asylum.
(Daily Commonwealth ~ Tuesday ~ February 29, 1876 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


Frank Black Wanted in Marshall Co., Taken at Muskogee, Okla.

Marysville, Kan., Jan. 18 --- Word was received here late last night that Frank Black, one of the members of the gang of bank burglars, who made their rendezvous in the vicinity of Wymore, Neb., and robbed a number of banks in Kansas, Nebraska and Oklahoma a couple of years ago, had just been arrested at Muskogee, Okla.  He is wanted by the Marshall county authorities for complicity in the burglary of the Beattie State bank, in November, 1910.  The Washington county authorities also want Black for complicity in the burglary of the Taft State bank at Hanover in December, 1910.

Black, it is thought, is the last member of this gang of yeggs to be placed under arrest.  The authorities here are confident they have a strong case against him for the Beattie burglary, and that they will be able to secure a conviction.  Sheriff Throop of Washington count has gone to bring Black to Washington for trial for the robbery of the Hanover bank.
(Topeka Daily Capital ~ Sunday ~ January 19, 1913 ~ Page 17)


Marysville, Kan., April 15 ---- Rev. L. Reinert, who has been pastor of the German Evangelical church in this city for the past fourteen years, accompanied by his family, left yesterday for Owensville, Mo., to take charge of the pastorate of the German Evangelical church at that point.  Reverend Bethold, of Lawrence, Kan., will conduct services at the church next Sunday.
(Topeka Daily Capital ~ Thursday ~ April 16, 1914 ~ Page 8)


Marysville, Kan., April 15 -- The board of education of this city, at a special meeting, elected Prof. Charles O. Smith, the present superintendent of the Minneapolis, Kan., schools, as superintendent of the Marysville city schools for the coming term.
(Topeka Daily Capital ~ Thursday ~ April 16, 1914 ~ Page 8)


Marysville, Kan., Sept. 2 --- St. Gregory's parochial school of this city opens Monday next.  The instructors are Rev. Father August Redeker, the priest of the parish, and Sisters Constant, Lucina and Ulsulcina of the Benedictine Seminary at Atchison.  The enrollment last year at this school was close to 100 and it is expected that there will be as large an enrollment this year.
(Topeka Daily Capital ~ Saturday ~ September 3, 1910 ~ Page 3)


Marysville, Kan., March 6 --- Since the close of the February term of the district court sitting in this city five Marshall county residents have filed their applications with District Clerk A. B. Campbell for their final naturalization papers.  Their petitions will be heard by Judge Sam Kimble at the May term of court.  The petitioners are:  William Wahlen, of Oketo, a native of Germany; Michael Theodore Hoffman, of Summerfield, a German; Karl August Koch, of Herkimer, a German; Frank Zidek and Anton Vesely, both of Blue Rapids, natives of Austria.
(Topeka Daily Capital ~ Thursday ~ March 7, 1912 ~ Page 3)


Marysville, Kan., Jan. 17 ---- At a meeting of the congregation of the Baptist church at Blue Rapids, at which fully one hundred persons were present, it was decided by vote to erect a new church edifice upon the site of the present building.  The building will have a seating capacity of 500 persons and it is estimated it will cost $10,000.  It will be 80 x 52 feet, built of brick veneer in modern library style of architecture.

The interior arrangement will consist of the pulpit and regular seats, two robing rooms, a baptistry and choir gallery in the west end and a balcony in the east end which faces the street.  Under the balcony will be arranged the rooms for the Sunday school.  The basement, which will have a cement floor, will be divided one-half into a dining room and the other half into a kitchen and furnace room.

It is now planned that as soon as $5,000---or the half of the estimated cost---has been raised the contracts will be let for the construction of the building.  The soliciting and building committees selected are as follows:  Soliciting committee---Rev. J. P. Henson, H. A. Russell, Chas. Hunt, I. F. Fitzgerald and Thomas Hunt.  Building committee---Rev. J. P. Henson, A. H. Avis, I. T. Fitzgerald, Dr. R. S. Fillmore and H. E. Smith.
(Topeka Daiy Capital ~ Tuesday ~ January 18, 1910 ~ Page 3)


Marysville, Kan., Jan. 21 ---- One by one Marysville's old land marks are passing away with the progress of time and to give place to the improvements demanded by the present age.  One of the latest to be relegated to the "Great Past" is Maryville's "Old Orchard."  This orchard, located in the northeast part of the town, which in the early days was considered on the outskirts, or "in the country," was for many years a "sign board," as it were, as parties desiring to locate any certain house in that section of the city or nearby country were directed to the place desired from the "old orchard," whether it was to the east, west, or south of there.  With the ravages of time and subsequent decay of the trees it began to ose its significance and the encroachment of the newly erected dwellings on its contiguous territory signed its doom.  This winter what remained of the orchard fell before the woodman's axe and with the clearing process a new and desirable site remains.  All that is left is the memory, but to the older settlers those memories are indeed dear.
(Topeka Daily Capital ~ Thursday ~ January 22, 1914 ~ Page 3)


A handsome soldiers' monument, consisting of a huge granite block surmounted by a cannon, was unveiled and dedicated in the Axtell cemetery recently.  Large delegations from the G.A.R. post and Women's Relief corps of Marysville and from Seneca and Beattle, together with the Marysville drum corps were present and assistedin the ceremonies.
(Olsburg Gazette ~ Friday ~ May 27, 1910 ~ Page 2)

Back to Index Page

Copyright © to Kansas Genealogy Trails' Marshall County host & all Contributors
  All rights reserved