McPHERSON COUNTY BIOGRAPHIES
ADELL, JOSEPH REYNOLD
Joseph Reynold Adell, superintendent of schools at Marquette, was born there on September 9, 1893, son of Charlie Gustaf and Augusta Olivia (Anderson) Adell. The father, who was born in Smalan, Sweden, March 14, 1852, came to the United States in 1872. He was a retired farmer at the time of his death in Marquette, May 6, 1930. Augusta Oliva Adell was born in Smalan, June 9, 1862 and resides at Marquette.
Educated first in the rural schools of Lindsborg, Joseph Reynold Adell attended public school at Marquette, and in 1913 was graduated from high school there. He became a student at Bethany College and in 1917 received the degree of Bachelor of Arts. He was active in debate and music, secretary of the Young Men's Christian Association, secretary of the student council and business manager of the college paper in 1917. In the same year he received a basketball letter. During the summer of 1929-30, 1930-31 he attended the summer sessions of Kansas University.
From 1917 until 1918 Mr. Adell was a teacher at Buffalo, Kansas. He taught in France during the early months of 1919, and alter in the year became principal of the Marquette High School. He taught at Dodge city from 1921 until 1923, and the following three years was superintendent at Ford. He was supervisor in the training school at Las Vegas from 1926 until 1928, and since that time has held his present position.
On December 24, 1920, he was married to Mildred Hannah Thorson at McPherson. Mrs. Adell was born in Topeka, July 31, 1897 and died at Las Vegas, August 2, 1928. There is one daughter of this marriage, Jo Ann, born October 6, 1922. Mr. Adell's second marriage was to Ellda Ruth Gustafson.
Mr. Adell is a Republican. He is a member of Covenant Mission Church, the Young Men's Christian Association, the Red Cross, the National Education Association, and the Parent Teachers Association. He served with the American Expeditionary Forces in Frances during 1918-19 with the rank of corporal, participating in the engagement at Metz and in Alsace-Lorraine. He is fond of golf and tennis, while his hobbies are school and church activities. Residence: Marquette. (Illustriana Kansas, by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, page 12)
ANDERSON, CARL MAGNUS
Carl Magnus Anderson, druggist, and insurance executive, was born in Stockholm, Sweden, August 11, 1877, son of Carl Johann and Charlotte Gustava (Johannson) Anderson. The father, born in Stockholm in 1849, was the son of Anders and Margaret Anderson. He was a physician and surgeon, who received his degree from the University of Stockholm, and whose death occurred at McPherson in 1893. _
Charlotte Gustava, his wife, was born in Stockholm, November 11, 1837, and died at McPherson, August 8, 1913. Carl Magnus Anderson attended McPherson public schools, and was admitted to the practice of pharmacy in Kansas. He was a druggist and a salesman for a drug company for fifteen years, and for the past twenty years has been the proprietor of the Carl M. Anderson Insurance Agency.
His marriage to Kathryn Frances White Baugh, was solemnized at Garden City, August 22, 1909. She was born at Appleton City, Missouri, February 25, 1890, daughter of George M. and Attillia (Arbuckle) Baugh. Her ancestry traces to Captain Matthew Arbuckle and Thomas Witten of the Revolution, and in 1930 she was regent of the Daughters of the American Revolution. She is a member of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, and the American Order of Pioneers. There is one daughter, Attillia Charlotte, born December 27, 1910, who received her Bachelor of Science degree from McPherson College in 1932, and is a graduate student in bacteriology at the University of Kansas.
Mr. Anderson is a Republican, and is serving as chairman of a local committee. He has been a member of the McPherson Band forty years and is chairman of its board. He is past exalted ruler of the Elks, past commander of the Knights Templar, past noble grand of the Odd Fellows, and past patron of the Order of Eastern Star.
His other memberships include the Lions Club (secretary 1928-29; vice president 1932; personnel representative of district governor 1932-33; president 1933-34), the Chamber of Commerce, the McPherson Retailers Association, the Red Cross, the National Insurance Association, the Kansas Insurance Association, the Young Men's Christian Association, and the First Presbyterian Church. He is a member of the Senior Golf Association of Kansas, and served as president of the McPherson Country Club in 1928. His favorite sports are hunting and golf. His hobby is the McPherson band. Residence: McPherson. (Illustriana Kansas, by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, page 34)
Philip Arnold resides on a fine farm on section 16, Meridian Township, McPherson County. He is the son of Stephen Arnold, a native of Saxe-Coburg, Germany. His mother was Margaret Hoffman in her maidenhood and was born in Hesse-Darmstadt. The parents after coming to America settled in Mendota, Ill., and there lived for at least a quarter of a century. They then removed to Ottawa, Ill., where they have ever since resided.
Our subject's father has held several official positions in La Salle County and has been County Recorder for eighteen years. Of the six children who were born to Stephen Arnold and his wife, our subject was the second in order of birth,
and was born in Mendota, May 25, 1860. He was reared in that city and is a graduate of the Blackstone High School.
Philip Arnold lived at home until nineteen years of age, his attention occupied chiefly with the acquirement of an education. He had, however, held a position for a time in a grocery store. In 1879 he came to McPherson, hoping by the change to benefit his health, which was not of the most robust. He worked on a farm during the summer season, and in the winter returned to Ottawa, where he was employed in his father's office until the spring of 1882, since which time he has been a permanent resident of Meridian Township, McPherson County.
March 27, 1883, our subject married in the town of Newton, Kan., Miss Elizabeth Ropp, a daughter of the late John Ropp, formerly a resident of Butler County, Kan. Mrs. Arnold was born in Taxewell County, Ill., September 3, 1855. She is the mother of four children, whose names are Stephen C., Maggie A., Hattie A., and Shirley W. Since identifying himself with affairs in this portion of the State, our subject has allowed no opportunity to pass to show that he is loyal to all the institutions held most dear by the American heart. He is a member of the People's party and an active worker. Since the spring of 1882, our subject has given his undivided attention to his farming pursuits. In company with his father he owns four hundred acres of land and this bears excellent improvements. The buildings are substantial and have a capacity equal to the demand upon them. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. (Portrait and Biographical Record of Dickinson, Saline, McPherson and Marion counties. 1893 Page 179-180, submitted by Lisa Smalley)
A representative citizen of Gypsum Creek Township, McPherson County, and a royally good man, whose principles and heart are in unison, is he whose name appears above. He is a son of Orrin and Olive (Brown) Banks, both natives of Schoharie County, N.Y. Little that is definite concerning the more remote ancestry of Mr. Banks is known. His grandfather was William Banks, and supposedly a native of Vermont. On the maternal side, Grandfather William Brown was a colonel in the Revolutionary War, and served under Gen. Washington. He died in Schoharie County, N.Y.
After marriage our subject's parents settled in Schoharie County, N.Y, which was their for several years. They then removed to Ohio, and settled in what is now Lake County, in Madison Township. After living there for nine years, they removed to La Porte County, Ind., where they stayed six years, and later removed to Lake County, Ind., which was their last home. The father was a farmer by occupation. They had twelve children, of whom our subject was the fourth child and third son in order of birth. He was born in Schoharie County, N.Y., November 14, 1829, and lived with his parents until twenty years old, when he purchased the remainder of his time of minority. For this he traded a horse and saddle, and came to De Kalb County, Ill. He was employed in several different occupations for about one year, and then returned to La Porte County, where he was married, October 30, 1850, to Miss Elizabeth H. Sharp, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth (Haymond) Sharp, the former a native of Baltimore County, Md., and the latter of Virginia.
After the marriage of Mrs. Bank's parents, they settled in Shelby County, Ky., but soon went to Franklin County, Ind., living there four years, when they went to Rush County, the same State, whence, after spending several years, they removed to La Porte County, and there died. Of the seven children born to Mr. and Mrs. Sharp, Mrs. Banks is the fifth in order of birth. The place of her nativity was Rush County, Ind., and the date, March 11, 1830.
Immediately after the marriage of our subject, he and his bride settled in La Porte County, and lived for three years. They then removed to Lake County, and were there residents for twelve years, when tey returned to La Porte County and continued to live six years.
In the fall of 1873, Mr. Banks, with his family, came to McPherson County, and settled on section 21, Gypsum Creek Township, where he has a fine farm of one hundred and sixty acres, on which he has erected a very excellent set of buildings, and has made first-class improvements, it now being one of the finest farms in the county. His life business has been that of agriculture, in connection with horticulture, in which he takes a decided interest. Of the five that have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Banks, Lewis J. died September 30, 1857, when about six years old; William N. died September 20, 1854, when about one year old; Benson L. married Miss Bettie Hall, and resides in Battle Hill Township; Orin L. married Miss Ida McArthur; and the youngest child is Francis M. Although Mr. Banks has taken a decided interest in the local political aspect, and is a stanch Republican, he has never been an office-seeker, leaving that to others who have less individual affairs than himself to take charge of. He is supporter of the Gospel, being deeply interested in religious affairs.
November 10, 1864, Mr. banks joined Company B of the Thirty-eighth Indiana Infantry, and served until the close of the war. At Raleigh, N.C., he was attacked with the scurvy, and lost all his teeth.
He belongs to the Grand Army of the Republic. (Portrait and Biographical Record of Dickinson, Saline, McPherson and Marion counties. 1893 Page 195 - 196 (Transcribed by Lisa Smalley)
The Reverend Alfred Bergin clergyman teacher and author was born in Bitterna, Sweden, April 24, 1866 and since 1904 has resided in Kansas. His father, Johannes Bergin was born in Lekasa, Sweden, July 8, 1844 and died in Carver, Minnesota in 1921. He was a farmer who came to the United States in 1887. His wife, Majastina Anderson was born in Lakasa, October 24, 1846 and died at Carver in 1927. She came to the United States with her husband.
Alfred Bergin attended public schools in Sweden and in Carver, Minnesota and Gustavus Adolphus College at St. Peter, Minnesota. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree in 1892 from that college and in 1894 was awarded the degree of Bachelor of Divinity from Augustana Seminary at Rock Island, Illinois. His master's degree was awarded him from the University of Minnesota in 1899. In 1904 he received the degree of Doctor of Philosophy from the University of Minnesota, and in 1919 the degree of Doctor of Divinity from Augustana Seminary.
On June 13, 1894 Dr. Bergin was married to Anna Hult at Scandia, Minnesota. Mrs. Bergin was born at Jonkoping, Sweden, July 11, 1865. There are three children, Adelia, born May 3, 1895 who married Clarence Stone; Ruth, May 17, 1897 who married the Reverend David Engberg; and Esther, June 17, 1899. Adelia has the degree of bachelor of Arts and Master of Music from Bethany College. Ruth ahs the degree of Bachelor of Arts and bachelor of Music from Bethany College while Esther has the degree of Bachelor of Arts and is a registered nurse.
Dr. Bergin was ordained a minister of the Lutheran Church on June 10, 1894 and is a member of the Augustana Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America. He is a pastor of Bethany Church at Lindsborg, Kansas and since 1911 has been president of the board of Bethany Old People's Home. He is the author of probably 10 books and innumerable articles in many periodicals. He has been an editor and contributor to many periodicals including the Kansas Young Lutheran, the Lindsborg Posten, Ungdoms Vannen, Augustana Lutheran Quarterly, etc.
For five years Dr. Bergin was a member of the board of Gustavus Adolphus College and for three years statistician for the Minnesota conference. For twenty-five years a member of the board of the Lindsborg Bethany College, he has taught there sixteen years and for several years has been president of the board. He has served as president and vice president of the Kansas Conference of the Augustana Synod of the Lutheran Church and for sixteen years has been a member of the foreign mission board of the Augustana Snod. He is a member of the N. R. A. committee, vice president of the McPherson County Historical Society and president of the McPherson County Ministerial and the National American Association of Vestgoths.
Among Dr. Bergin's other memberships are the Red Cross (chairman of McPherson County chapter), the Augustana Book Concern of which he has been a member for many years, the Swedish Historical Society, the Kansas State Historical Society, the Swedish American Historical Society, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, etc.
Dr. Bergin enjoys travel. He has made two trips to Europe, visiting most of the countries in continental Europe on the first trip and on the second trip touring thru Portugal, Morrocco, Spain, France, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Syria, Palestine and Egypt. Residence: Lindsborg. (Illustriana Kansas by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, page 99)
BURKHOLDER, CLARENCE DEWEY
Clarence Dewey Burkholder retail lumberman was born at Hillsboro, Kansas, May 15, 1896 son of Ezra R. and Vinnie (Tubbs) Burkholder. His father was born in Ontario, Canada, December 6, 1856 and died at McPherson May 23, 1923. His mother was born in Wisconsin, March 15, 1866.
Mr. Burkholder received the bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Kansas in 1920. He studied at Bethany College from which he received a diploma in music in 1917 and attended McPherson College and the Uniersity of Colorado.
On April 7, 1924 he was married to Rosalie Mary Kuns at Kansas City, Kansas, and to them three children were born: Janice Lou, October 10, 1926 Barbara Ann June 10, 1928 and Bruce Gerald, February 3, 1932. Mrs. Burkholder was born at McPherson February 18, 1905.
Mr. Burkholder is secretary-treasurer and manager of the E. R. Burkholder Lumber Company of McPherson. He is a Republican, an Elk and a Mason. During the World War he was second lieutenant of Field Artillery, and at the present time is a member of the American Legion.
He is a director of the Young Men's Christian Association, a member of the First Methodist Episcopal Church, the Chamber of Commerce, the Southwestern Lumbermen's Association (past director) and the Central Kansas Lumbermen's Association (past director and president.). His club is the McPherson Country Club. Residence: McPherson. (Illustriana Kansas by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, page 178)
Charles Clark, the owner of a fine farm located on section 28, northwest quarter, Groveland Township, McPherson County, near the town of Inman, Kan., is the subject of this sketch. Mr. Clark was born in Ingham County, Mich., December 19, 1844, and is the son of Theodore and Delia (Parish) Clark. He remained at home, assisting his father by attending to the various duties around the farm, until he was twenty-one years old.
After this, Mr. Clark engaged in working with a threshing-machine, but a serious accident which befell him when he was twenty-four years of age probably changed the whole course of his life. His left arm was caught in a cog-pinion on a cylinder wheel of a threshing-machine and terribly injured. This accident and the medical attendance which it necessitated absorbed nearly everything which the young man had saved, and, thinking of the future, he decided that the best thing he could do was to go West. In May, 1872, he pre-empted his land in the State of Kansas, and for his outfit for his agricultural labors he had one old horse; his partner, however, had two yoke of cattle, and together with an eighteen-inch plow they broke up two hundred and forty acres of land, for one hundred acres of which they were paid $4 an acre, boarding themselves and camping on the prairies. The house he first built is now used as a hen house and is 8 x 16 feet.
Mr. Clark is now the owner of a fine farm of three hundred and twenty acres, one hundred acres of which he devotes to wheat, which is his largest crop. Upon seventy-seven acres he raises corn. When Mr. Clark first came to this county, he found it almost wholly unsettled, and he took one trip into Dickinson County, one hundred miles away, for seed wheat, which journey consumed three weeks' time. For three years after locating in Kansas he used oxen, but he found them too slow and tedious, and now has fine teams of horses.
Mr. Clark was married April 8, 1875, to Miss Josephine A. Russel, daughter of J.T. Russel, now of Groveland Township. Her birth took place in Wisconsin, and she entered a homestead here about 1874. Mr. Clark broke land for two seasons, and then gave his attention to his farm. Hard times did not cause him to leave as they did many others. He felt that all that he had was here, and that he found remain with it.
The family of Mr. and Mrs. Clark is as follows: Alva J., George W., DeWitt A. and Charles W. The children are all excellent representative of their energetic father and amiable mother, and the eldest are of much assistance to their father. In politics, Mr. Clark is a stanch Republican. He is pleased with Kansas and the stranger sees no reason why he should not be as he looks over his beautiful farm, neatly surrounded with hedge, and notices the excellent farm buildings, complete and comfortable.
(Portrait and Biographical Record of Dickinson, Saline, McPherson and Marion counties. 1893 Page 223, transcribed by Lisa Smalley)
CARLSON, FRANK S.
Frank S. Carlson, manager of the Carlson & Anderson Lumber Company, was born in Sweden, September 10, 1889, and for 20 years has resided in Kansas. His father, Sven Carlson, a farmer, was born in Sweden, December 12, 1858, son of Carl Anderson, who came from the family of Braven and was an officer and sailor at sea. Sissa Johnson, wife of Sven Carlson, was born in Glimakra, Sweden, January 14, 1860. She was a school teacher before her marriage and the daughter of John Pehrson, a farmer and banker. Her father lived to reach the age of 100 years, and was much interested in public and political affairs.
Educated in elementary and confirmation schools in Sweden, Frank S. Carlson, received the degree of Bachelor of Accounts from Bethany College at Lindsborg after coming to America. Since 1914 he has been in the lumber business. He is a Republican.
On January 20, 1920 he was married to Elsie Carlson at Riverside, California. Mrs. Carlson who is a graduate of the University of Southern California and the daughter of Louis and Clara Carlson of Pilot Mound, Iowa, was born at Pilot Mound on February 12, 1889. There are four children, Clara Cecelia, born April 13, 1921; Arnold Braven, June 30, 1922; Alice Linnea, August 22, 1925; and Carl Franklin, September 11, 1931. Mr. and Mrs. Carlson have a fine family all of whom are studying music. The three older children are studying the piano at Bethany College, while Arnold is beginning to play the cornet in the school band. All of the children attend church and Sunday School regularly.
Mr. Carlson served as a first class private in the United States Army in the World War with the 19th Squadron, Aeronautic Division, Vancouver barracks, Washington. He is a member of the American Legion, the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Bethany Church, the Lutheran Brotherhood, the Red Cross, the Chamber of Commerce of which he is president, the Lindsborg Historical Society and the Lindsborg Oratorical Society. He has been a member of the Messiah Chorus since 1913, is a member of the school board and secretary of the city park commission. He enjoys tennis and fishing, while his hobbies are landscaping, beautifying, and gardening and the entertainment of children. Residence: Lindsborg. (Illustriana Kansas by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, Pages 198-199)
DAVIS, CARLTON B.
History repeats itself, and the career of the early pioneers in Pennsylvania, New York and the more central States differs from the experience of their children and children's children who are making settlement in the Western States only according to the time. Our subject was one of the early settlers in Kansas and deserves all honor as a veteran of the late war. He belongs to a good old Pennsylvania family and was born November 16, 1842, in the Quaker State. He is a son of I.B. and Elizabeth (Waters) Davis, the former a grain merchant and railroad contractor, who was born in Pennsylvania in 1819; the latter a daughter of Jonathan Waters and born in 1818.
I.B. Davis served as Captain of Company E. One Hundred and Thirty-first Pennsylvania Infantry, serving for a term of nine months. He took part in the battles at Antietam, Chancellorsville and Fredericksburg, carrying out of the conflict with him a wound made by the enemy in the arm and foot. This afterward produced paralysis, and he was thus disqualified for service.
After the children had made a home in the Sunflower State, our subject's parents came hither, in 1881. The father died in 1884, the mother still survives. Of the three children born in the Davis family, two are now living. Our subject claims priority of birth; his sister, who is Mrs. Mary Anspach, lives at Wilson, Kan. The family was brought up in the Presbyterian faith.
Although our subject was but a school boy when the war broke out, his zeal in the cause of his country was thoroughly aroused. He tried to enlist but was rejected because of his youth, but, not to be deterred, he went with his father, to the front and acted as Clerk. He even went upon the battlefield and missed no opportunity to take an active part. At the battle of Fredericksburg, in which is father was wounded, Carlton B. Davis went into the hottest of the fight in order to bring away his wounded parent. In 1863, he was permitted to enlist, and joined Company G. of the Seventh Pennsylvania Cavalry. The regiment to which he belonged joined Gen. Sherman's army at Chattanooga and went through that campaign. They then went to Atlanta and back again after Gen. Hood to Nashville, pursuing Hood to the Tennessee River. Our subject's military career was brought to a close while under Gen. James H. Wilson. He was with him in the celebrated Wilson Raid, and again present at the capture of Selma, Ala. After a gallant term of service, our subject was mustered out, August 23, 1865, at Macon, Ga.
During his heroic effort to get his father off the battlefield at Fredericksburg, the hero of this sketch was wounded in the left hip by a minie-ball. During his regular service in the cavalry he received other slight wounds. After his discharge, the young man returned to Pennsylvania and was interested in the grain business until 1870, when he came to Kansas and settled on section 21, of Harper Township. The locality was quite wild and uncultivated when he came here. He now possesses six hundred and forty acres of land, of which one hundred and fifty acres are under cultivation. He is engaged in farming and stock-raising and usually winters one hundred head of cattle.
Mr. Davis is a member of the Marquette Post, G.A.R., and also a charter member of the McPherson Post. He has been Adjutant three times and Commander for one term. In politics he is a Republican, and his fellow-townsmen have been his stanch supporters in his various local offices. For many years he has been a member of the local School Board and has done efficient service. At the same time that our subject came to Kansas his brother, William D., also settled on this section. He died April 19, 1881. His widow, who had been a Miss Carrie Rich and a native of Ohio, is the mother of three children, Carlton I., Mary E., and William D., and is still living on the old homestead of her departed husband. (Portrait and Biographical Record of Dickinson, Saline, McPherson and Marion counties. 1893 Page 222 - 223, transcribed by Lisa Smalley)
GRANT, CHARLES OSCAR
Charles Oscar Grant is a farmer on section 35, New Gottland Township, McPherson County. He was born June 26, 1849, in Morlunda Soeken, Smoland, Sweden, and came to America in 1865, being then about fifteen years old. He first settled in Galesburg, Ill., where he attended school for four years. Thus he was equipped with a good knowledge of the English language as well as with American manners and customs. He then worked for his father until twenty-four years of age, devoting himself to farm work, to which he has always been constant.
In 1873, our subject married Miss Tilda Holcomb, a daughter of John Holcomb, of Altoona, Ill. She was born in Knoxville, Ill., October 9, 1856, and was carefully reared and educated. She is the mother of eight children, all of whom are living. They are: Hattie Matilda, Albertina Wilhelmina, Matten Ward, Nellie Alfreda, Oscar Wilfred Emanuel, Ida Adelia, Blanday Victoria and Mabel Marinda.
Mr. Grant came to Kansas in 1875 and took up a homestead claim on the southeast quarter of section 34. This was all wild land and he devoted himself from the first to its culture and improvement. He at once built a house, barns, granary, etc., and the whole thing has increased wonderfully in value. The place is well fenced and he has set out an orchard covering five acres of land. This was his home for seven years.
Mr. Grant then moved to the southwest quarter of section 35. Here he built a residence at a cost of $2,500, a fine barn and other buildings suiting the home. He now takes pride in the fact that he owns the finest buildings in New Gottland Township. He has three hundred and twenty acres of land all in a body; of this two hundred and twenty acres are under cultivation. He here carries on general farming, raising large quantities of grain and much stock. He averages an annual product of two thousand bushels of wheat and plants seventy-five acres to corn. He also feeds a carload of cattle per year and fifteen head of horses, beside fifty head of hogs. Indeed, the establishment is one worthy of Kansas and of the Swedish settlers.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Grant are members of the Swedish Evangelical Church. He has been a Trustee of the New Gottland Church, which he helped build and of which he has been a liberal supporter. His children have received good common-school educations and Minnie and Freda are paying special attention to the study of music, both being skilled performers upon the organ. For fifteen years Mr. Grant has been a member of the local School Board. In politics, he is a leading member of the People’s party in this locality. He was formerly a Republican. For several terms our subject has served as Justice of the Peace and also as Township clerk. He has been a frequent delegate to conventions and has always been very decided in his stand in favor of the People’s party. He is now recognized as one of the well-to-do farmers of the locality.
Portrait and Biographical Record of Dickinson, Saline, McPherson and Marion counties. 1893 MCPHERSON PAGE 236 - 237, Transcribed by Lisa Smalley
GRONDAL, BROR G.
At the very head of the profession of photography in Kansas stands Bror G. Grondal, who for thirty consecutive years has conducted the leading studio at Lindsorg. Mr. Grondal both in his profession and in other lines of activity is a man of widely diversified experience. His career is an interesting one since he came to America in childhood years and has fought continuously a brave and unremitting struggle until he placed himself in a position where he is master of a congenial profession. Mr. Grondal is a former president of the Kansas State Photographers Association.
He was born in the famous university City of Upsala, Sweden, January 11, 1855. His parents, John G. and Sophia (Yack) Grondal, spent all their lives in Sweden. He lived in his native country until he was fourteen and in the meantime attended the University of Upsala. Bravely facing the world alone, he set out for America, and landed at Savannah, Georgia, without means or influence. The first year he worked as clerk in a general merchandise store at Stanford, Florida. The next year he was employed as a chainman with a surveying corps and also put in one year in a sawmill. Other experiences followed and for a year he was a salesman in New York City and then enlisted as a sailor, and sailed for five years, tow years in the United States Revenue Service and three years in the deep Water and Coastwise Service, going around the world and seeing all the different foreign countries.
On leaving the sea he came inland and lived in Chicago for a number of years. While there he was a grocery salesman five years and then took up the study of photography. Mr. Grondal worked under the guidance of some of the experts and masters of the art in that city, and later he was employed for three years in some of the best studios of St. Paul, Minnesota. For four years he had studios of his own at different cities in Texas, and in 1887 he came to Lindsborg and opened a studio which he has conducted now for thirty years. His proficiency and the quality of his work have improved from year to year, and there is great advantage derived from the fact that he has been so long situated in one community. He has had customers from all over the state and his work has received unstinted praise both in and out of the profession. He knows all aspects of practical photography and is also an expert in color work. Some years ago Mr. Grondal erected a brick building especially designed and equipped for the purposes of a modern photographic studio. Besides his service as president of the Kansas State Photographers Association he was its treasurer a number of years.
On October 21, 1886, at Round Rock, Texas, Mr. Grondal married Miss Sarah M. Noyd. Mrs. Grondal is of Swedish parentage and was born in Illinois February 4, 1859. Seven children have been born to their marriage. Edith, who graduated from Bethany College at Lindsborg, is now the wife of Paul Carlson, of Seattle, Washington; Bror L., also a graduate of Bethany College, is an instructor in the Washington University at Seattle; Ruth Sarah, who graduated from Bethany College, is now a teacher; Eunice has graduated from Bethany College and is teaching in the State of Washington; the daughter Rose is now deceased; Lillian and Elsie, the youngest daughters, were both educated in Bethany College. Mr. Grondal and his family are popular members of social circles in Lindsborg and are active members of the Swedish Luther Church. (A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans, By William Elsey Connelley, Page 2558, submitted by Lisa Smalley)
HAMILTON, JEDEDIAH I., M. D.
Jedediah I. Hamilton, M.D. The professions are ably represented in the pretty town of Marquette, and that of medicine has one of its ablest and most popular disciples in the person of the gentleman whose name heads this sketch. he was born in Smithfiled, Bradford County, Pa., April 3, 1834, and is a son of John W. and Polly S. (Irish) Hamilton. The former was a millwright in trade. The Hamilton family was of scotch origin, and our subject’s father was a cousin of that Alexander Hamilton who was at the head of the Treasury Department under Washington and to whom the country owed so great a debt for the ability with which he managed the financial affairs of embarrassed young nation.
John W. Hamilton came from Scotland to America when thirteen years of age. He was reared in Pennsylvania and spent the greater part of his life in Bradford County but died across the line in Chemung County, N.Y., in 1840. Our subject’s mother, who was a native of Bradford County, Pa., died in Vernon County, Wis., in 1880. Of the five children that were the result of that union three were sons and two were daughters. Dr. Hamilton was the third in order of birth in the family. He remained with his mother until fourteen years of age, after which time he became her chief support and she made her home with him until her decease.
The Doctor was reared on the farm and engaged in agriculture until eighteen years of age. He had a great desire, however, to study medicine, and at the age above mentioned he entered the medical college of the University of Pennsylvania. After a thorough course, embracing four years, he graduated and received his diploma. In fixing upon a place in which to practice, he looked toward the young West, feeling that that was the place for the future professional and business man. He settled in Vernon County, Wis., in the fall of 1855. He at once acquired a good practice and continued in that vicinity for seventeen years. He then removed to Dayton, Webster County, Iowa, and was there engaged until July, 1888, at which time he removed to Marquette.
Since coming to Marquette Dr. Hamilton has been the leading physician of the locality. He is a quiet, modest, unassuming and scholarly gentleman, seeking to perfect himself in his chosen profession, rather than to attract notoriety. After 1865, or until he removed to Wisconsin, he served as Examining Surgeon for the Government. He has repeatedly been solicited to accept high public office, but has steadily declined to allow his name to be used, desiring rather to alleviate the sufferings of others by the application of his skill.
Doctor Hamilton was first married in Vernon County, Wis., to Miss Samantha Fox, daughter of ex-Governor John Fox, of Ohio, she being a native of Fairfield County, Ohio. this marriage was fruitful to the extent of six children, who were named as follows: John Wesley; Elizabeth, who is the wife of Mr. E. Polson; Gertrude, who married William Fox, of Virginia; and Jedediah, Rose and William. Mrs. Samantha Hamilton died March 14, 1874, in Vernon County, Wis. Our subject was again married in that same locality to Miss Eva Hill, daughter of Egbert Hill, of Vernon County, Ill. They have two children, Dora and Anna M.
The subject of this sketch has, as becomes a loyal citizen, always taken an active interest in the politics of his country and in local affairs he is particularly vigilant and active. He has been connected with the Methodist Episcopal Church since 1854 and has always occupied a prominent position. In his professional work he has never spared himself, and night or day, has found him ready to respond to any of the calls of humanity.
Portrait and Biographical Record of Dickinson, Saline, McPherson and Marion counties. 1893 Page 237 - 238 ~ Submitted by Lisa Smalley
HENDRY, HIRAM A.
Hiram A. Hendry, a pioneer of Kansas and a resident of McPherson, is one of the prominent men of the place. His experience of the early settlement of the State is interesting and is that of others who have paved the way for future generations. The subject of this notice was born in Jefferson, Ashtabula County, Ohio, December 27, 1834. His father, Samuel Hendry, was for twenty-six years the efficient clerk of Ashtabula County and became publisher and proprietor of a paper well known to an older generation. This was the organ of the celebrated Joshua R. Giddings, who was a native of Jefferson, Ohio. The editor and proprietor was one of the most intimate friends and admirers of the great Abolitionist. He made his paper, the Sentinel, an organ for the dissemination of his views, and often was this sheet read by the followers of Giddings while they were risking their lives in assisting the escape of the fugitive slaves. Samuel Hendry died in Oberlin, Ohio.
Hiram learned the trade of a printer and followed it for six or seven years in Ohio and also in Chicago. His father had become the agent for the firm of A.L. Scoville & Co., of Cincinnati, for patent medicines, and Hiram began to assist him in this enterprise at the age of twenty-one, and or about eight years he traveled for the firm through Michigan and Ohio. In April, 1863, our subject located in Mansfiled, Ohio, since well known to the public as the home of Senator John Sherman, and there remained in the general drug business for one year when he removed his business to Ashtabula, Ohio, and there continued for eight years.
In 1871, the Ashtabula colony went to Kansas and located in King City, eight miles east of the present town of McPherson. It is now called Elyria, as the name King City did not fit the unfortunate village. When Mr. Hendry came, May 17, 1872, he joined the King City colony, although he had not been originally a member of it. He built a store and opened up a stock of drugs, knowing that King Malaria would reign in the newly-opened town and that for a time his place of business would perhaps flourish more than any other enterprise. However, about this time a bill was passed taking off one row of townships from the south side of the county, and this threw King City too far from the center. Then it was resolved by the business men to start another town so located that it must become the county seat.
There were twelve men of King City who made up the company. Mr. Hendry; John W. Hill, whose sketch appears elsewhere; Thomas Simpson, of Sharp's Creek; Oscar Seitz, Mr. Eberhardt, L.G. Shanky; Mr. Martin, of Salina; J.R. Fisher, of Linsborg; L. Raff, and others to the number of twelve in June, 182, located the present town site and gave it the name McPherson in honor of the brave and beloved Gen. McPherson who lost his life at Atlanta. Nearly all of the twelve homesteaded, but Mr. Hendry was not able to remove to this place until January, 1871, as he had been made Postmaster of King City. When the town was taken up and transported, his obligations to the Government were such as to make him the last one to leave. He had sold his store so as to give his attention to his public duties, and when he reached McPherson he found that his claim had been jumped. A young lady by the name of Miller had homesteaded to original town site of McPherson, which settlers had left on account of grasshoppers. She became the wife of J.R. Fisher, who was the President of the town company, and through his influence the land was not allowed to revert to the actual settlers. The original town site was four hundred and eighty acres, which left three hundred and twenty acres after the Fisher land was secured. The people pre-empted on the balance and platted it, sold the lots and divided the balance among the town-site men, and Mr. Hendry sold out his interest at an early day.
Since 1880, Mr. Hendry has been interested in silver mines in Gunnison County, Colo., the "Early Bird" being still in a state of development. The company is a stock company with a capital of $200,000 and Mr. Hendry has purchased a surplus of the stock.
The marriage of our subject took place in Mansfield, Ohio, May 17, 1864, to Miss Julia Sutherland, and his family consists of Alexander S., Harry Sutherland and Ada Eloise. Alexander S. is practicing law, was admitted to the Bar in 1888, and in 1892 was appointed Court Stenographer for the Second Judicial District under Judge Earle for a term of four years. In his political opinions, Mr. Hendry is a Republican, although he does not take any active interest in politics. He is one of the original fourteen members of the Congregational Church here, to which the entire family belong, he being one of the prominent men of the place. Mrs. Hendry has been a member of the School Board for four years and is now commencing her third term. Mr. Hendry is a member of the Masonic organization. (Portrait and Biographical Record of Dickinson, Saline, McPherson and Marion counties. 1893 Page 210 - 211 (Transcribed by Lisa Smalley)
The gentleman whose name appears above is a native of the land which Longfellow has immortalized and wreathed with garlands of fanciful beauty in the story of "Evangeline." He was born in Digby County, Nova Scotia, May 10, 1832, and like all the representatives of the Queen's domain in that ozone-filled locality, he is electric with energy and ambition, and since coming to his farm on section 8, Gypsum Creek Township, McPherson County, he has brought to bear all these traits and characteristics with admirable results.
Our subject was reared on a farm in his native place and lived at home until the death of his father, which took place about 1860. He then engaged for two years in the mercantile business, but at the end of that time resumed farming. He continued to live in Nova Scotia until 1869, when he came to Kansas and, pre-empting the tract which he now owns, devoted himself to cultivating the land. He took his first eighty acres under the Homestead Act. Upon this place, which is the site of the family home, he has erected a comfortable and spacious dwelling, which is the residence. It is beautified with trees and commands an admirable prospect, just before the harvest season, of long vistas of waving grain and the ripe blades of the golden-sheaved corn. He now owns one hundred and forty-five acres, which are mostly under cultivation.
Mr. Jones was married, while still a resident of his native land, to Miss Avis C. Jones, of Digby County, Nova Scotia. their nuptials were solemnized on the 24th of March, 1864, and they have become the parents of four children: Annie G. is the wife o Charles Power; Letitia died just after crossing the threshold of womanhood and at the most attractive period, when life is only full of promise. They also lost a little son in infancy. Mrs. Avis C. Jones died in this township in December, 1875. During a trip to Mexico, Audrain County, Mo., our subject was married a second time, the lady whom he persuaded to become mistress of his house being Mrs. Annie Washburn, nee Warren. She was born March 1, 1846. The two children of whom she became the mother by her first marriage were Ethel M., who died in infancy, and Cora B. Mrs. Annie Jones was born in Henry County, Mo., April 9, 1846. Mr. Jones has been awarded several local offices. He is particularly interested in the school matters of this locality. With this exception, he has kept free from political entanglement and gives his attention wholly to his agricultural pursuits.
(Portrait and Biographical Record of Dickinson, Saline, McPherson and Marion counties. 1893 - Page 172 Transcribed by Lisa Smalley)
KINGSLEY, ANDRES J.
Andres J. Kingsley, a prominent citizen and representative business man residing upon section 23, Little Valley Township, McPherson County, Kan., is ambitious, energetic and enterprising, and to his zealous efforts in behalf of local progress and improvement the advancement of many of the leading interests of the county are due. An efficient member of the School Board, he has materially aided in raising the standard of scholarship and instruction, and in the discharge of various official duties has won the esteem and confidence of his co-workers and the general public.
Born May 1, 1835, in *New London County, Conn*., our subject’s ancestors were among those sons of New England, earnest, tried and true, who have taken a high place in our country’s history. The paternal grandfather of Andrew J. Kingsley, Asahel Kingsley, was a soldier of the Revolutionary War, and in the struggle for National Independence fought bravely for God and Liberty. Surviving the perils of those troublous times, he married and in the good old State of Connecticut, reared a family, of whom the father of our subject was a son. This son, Shubael W. was a native of New London, and there was educated, married, and died at a good old age. His life was uneventful, yet he was honored by his fellow-citizens, and held various positions of public trust. He was a Selectman in his native town, and a representative in the legislature of the State. In early life a strong Democrat, he afterward was a stalwart Republican and prominent in politics. In religion, he was a Baptist, and lived and died an upright, conscientious man.
The mother, Mary (Loomis) Kingsley, was born in Andover of the same State, where she spent her entire life, and reared a family of seven children, of whom three yet survive,. Like her husband, she was a Baptist in persuasion, and a devoted Christian woman. Andrew J. was the second child, and received a good common-school education in his native State, and there taught school. When twenty-one years of age, he left home and went to New York, and worked for a lumber company in the Catskill Mountains, where he remained for eighteen months. In 1857, Mr.
Kingsley was united in marriage with Miss Minerva L. Fuller, also a native of Connecticut, and a niece of the well known Dr. Fuller, of Hartford, Conn. Mrs. Kingsley was a daughter of William and Nancy
(Polley) Fuller, both natives of Connecticut. She received a good education and taught school before her marriage. Eleven children blessed the home of our subject and his estimable wife. Four daughters and two sons are now living: Lucius F., Florence A., Clara A., Fred B., Grace M. and Mary E.
After his marriage, Mr. Kingsley returned to his native State, and there spent six months, at the end of which time he journeyed with his wife to De *Kalb County, Ill*. and located upon a rented farm. Two years later, they removed to *LaSalle County*, and lived there three years, finally settling in Grundy County, where without a dollar of capital our subject bought a farm, and in ten years was worth $10,000, money he himself had earned.
Mr. Kingsley then invested the most of his fortune in a mercantile and grain business, and lost half his money. Courageously gathering together the remuant (sic) of his possessions, he emigrated to Kansas, and made his home upon his present farm. The land then had never known a plow, but was all unbroken prairie. To-day our subject owns four hundred and eighty acres of valuable land, three hundred acres of which are under high cultivation, and yield a bounteous harvest. Mr. Kinsley has also been the owner of five other neighboring farms, which he has disposed of advantageously. His agricultural interest are most prosperous, and have been managed with characteristic energy and excellent judgment. He deals extensively in livestock, and has now on hand one hundred and fifty head of fine cattle.
Our subject and his wife are among the valued members and active workers of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and, together with their family, are important factors in the success of the various benevolent, religious and social enterprises of their township and vicinity. Mr. Kingsley has ever taken a deep interest in educational advancement, and while in *Grundy County, Ill*., and also in *Livingston County*, of the same State, was Treasurer of the School Fund, and in his present home has always been a member of the School Board. His children are well educated, two of them having completed a course of instruction at college. Our subject is fraternally associated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
Portrait and Biographical Record of Dickinson, Saline, McPherson and Marion counties. 1893 Page 235-236 Transcribe by Lisa Smalley
Daniel Krehbiel, a successful farmer and representative citizen of Mound Township, McPherson County, Kan., has resided upon section 35 for over sixteen years. Settling upon the land in 1876, he erected thereon a store and dividing his time from 1877 to 1887 between the duties of general agriculture and operating a prosperous merchandising business, was also for ten years the Postmaster of the township. Energetic, capable and industrious, he identified himself with all the prominent interests of his neighborhood, and by a life of daily integrity maintains the confidence and respect of all his old friends and neighbors.
Our subject was born January 19, 1836,, in Bavaria, Germany. His parents were John and Catherine (Krehbiel) Krehbiel, both natives of Bavaria. They emigrated to America in 1851 and settled permanently in Lee County, Iowa. Mr. Krehbiel’s father died in 1859, but the mother survived until 1872. They were the parents of ten children, eight of whom are yet living. John was the fifth child, and received some education in the Fatherland, but was only eleven years old when he arrived in the United States. he left his parents’ home soon after he came to Iowa, and hired out upon a farm, and afterward worked in a dry-goods and hardware store. From early boyhood useful, ambitious and self-reliant, he prospered and was enabled to provide for a home of his own.
In 1863 he was married to Miss Elizabeth Krehbiel, a native of Bavaria, her birth having occurred March 31, 1841. she came to America in 1852, and with her family located in Lee County, Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Krehbiel are the parents of nine children, of whom four daughters and three sons are now living. The children are May, Catherine, Jacob, Elizabeth, Magdalena, Christian and Daniel. After his marriage, our subject continued the duties of the tiller of the soil upon a farm in Lee County, Iowa, and remained there seven years. As a next venture he opened a general store in partnership with Jacob Galle in Franklin, Iowa, and carried on business there until he came to Kansas in 1876. The now highly cultivated farm was then but prairie land, but Mr. Krehbiel now owns in all eight hundred acres of valuable property, of which five hundred and eighty acres are well improved.
In 1887 our subject erected a handsome residence, one of the finest in Mound Township, and costing $1,800. His ten years of life as merchant, farmer and Postmaster passed swiftly by and in the past five years his time has been fully occupied in managing and improving his large landed estate. Mr. Krehbiel is a public-spirited citizen, and is especially active in church work. He liberally aided in the building of the Mennonite Church, of which both he and his wife are members and of which our subject has long been a deacon. His sons and daughters are well educated, and he takes great interest in educational advancement, and generously assisted in supporting the parochial schools, and also made a good subscription to the Halstead College.
In politics Mr. Krehbiel is an Independent, and with calm judgment and liberality of sentiment selects the best man to receive his vote, regardless of party line. Always taking great interest in the affairs of state, national and local conduct of official duties, our subject is not an office-seeker, but while in Iowa he was elected Trustee of the township and served in that capacity with energy and ability, and materially aided in some of the most valuable improvements of his neighborhood and vicinity. An enterprising citizen, good neighbor and kind friend, Mr. Krehbiel occupies a prominent and leading position in the religious and business world of his township and is numbered among the early settlers to whom are due its upward progress and assured prosperity.
Portrait and Biographical Record of Dickinson, Saline, McPherson and Marion counties. 1893 Page 240 - 243 ~ Submitted by Lisa Smalley
McCRAY, DAVID O.
David, O. McCray was born in Caldwell county, Missouri, March 10, 1855. His parents are William and Nancy (Carroll) McCray. The father was a staunch Union man in the midst of a hot-bed of Missouri rebellion and bushwhacking. Both parents are prominent members of the Christian church. They have had eleven children, three of whom are dead, and the subject of this memoir is the eighth. Two of their sons were soldiers in the Union army.
Davis was educated in the common and high schools of his native place, receiving a good business education. He served a regular apprenticeship to the printing business, in the Caldwell “Citizen” office, and in 1877, commenced the publication of the Hartford “Enterprise,” in Lyon county Kansas, and after about five months became connected with the Morris county “Enterprise,” at Parkerville, and about July 1, 1878, established the McPherson county “Freeman,” a Republican paper, which he still conducts, making it one of the firm, reliable Republican papers of the State. He is a member of Philoxenia Lodge No. 124, Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He is a member of the Congregational church. In politics, he has always been a Republican.
He was married at Hamilton, Caldwell county, Missouri, May 1, 1878, to Miss Carrie L. Stevens, a lady of culture, especially distinguished in music. (The United States Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men. Chicago and Kansas City, USA: S. Lewis, 1879. Page 274)
George Merrick doctor of dental surgery was born at Canton, Pennsylvania, August 24, 1880 and has been a resident of Kansas since 1912. He is the son of William F. and Lucy (Chambers) Merrick. The father, also a dentist, died at Towanda, Pennsylvania in 1918.
In 1905 Dr. Merrick, received the degree of Doctor of Dental Surgery from Kansas City Western Dental College. From 1900 until 1901 he was a student at the Philadelphia Dental College. Since his admission to practice on May 6, 1905 Dr. Merrick has been active in his chosen profession. He is registered to practice in Missouri, Nebraska and Kansas.
His marriage to Ruby Belle Norton was solemnized at Towanda, Pennsylvania, September 25, 1902. Mrs. Merrick, who is of English ancestry was born in New Albany, Pennsylvania, December 15, 1879. There are four children, Thelma Irene, born January 20, 1907 who married Benjamin F. Westrbook; Lloyd Norton, July 2, 1908; Evelyn Berneice, May 13, 1913 who married Glen H. Powers; and Wilmer Lamont, September 3, 1916.
Dr. Merrick is a Republican. He is a member and past master of the local Blue Lodge of the Masons. Residence: Canton. (Illustriana Kansas, by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, Page 786)
SCHMIDT, JACOB A.
Jacob A. Schmidt, a prominent stock-raiser and successful general agriculturist, now residing upon section 3, Mound Township, McPherson County, Kan. owns one of the most flourishing and attractive farms in his portion of the State. Our subject is an honest, upright and substantial citizen, and may always be numbered among the enterprising men of his neighborhood and locality who are ever ready to aid with word and deed in the improvements and general progress of the township and county.
Mr. Schmidt was born January 15, 1847, in Bavaria, Germany. He was the second child of Abraham and Anna Schmidt, both natives of Bavaria. This worthy husband and wife were the parents of nine children, of whom five are yet living. In 1850 they emigrated to America, when Jacob was a little lad about three years old. The mother died in 1860 but the father still survives, and lives in Kansas. When the family first came to the United States, they located in Lee County, Iowa, and the father and a portion of his children continued to reside there until 1884. Our subject went to the district schools of Iowa, and assisted upon his father’s farm until twenty-one years of age, and afterward worked for him by the month three years.
In 1873, Mr. Schmidt was married to Miss Mary Berghthol, a native of Lee County, Iowa. This excellent lady died in 1876, leaving one child, a son, Ernest. Our subject was again united in marriage in 1880. His second wife was Miss Barbara Rings, also a native of Lee County. Mr. and Mrs. Schmidt are the parents of seven children, all of whom but one are living. These intelligent children the light of their parents’ pleasant home, are Henry, Annie, Otto, Minnie, Clara and Hilda. At twenty-four years of age, our subject rented a farm in Lee County, and there engaged successfully in general agriculture about four years. In 1875, he came to Kansas and settled upon land whose sod had never known a plow, but was unbroken prairie. Seventeen years have come and gone, and now those acres are yielding a rich harvest. Mr. Schmidt owns four hundred acres of valuable property, all improved, and two hundred and thirty-five are ready for a bounteous crop of golden grain.
When our subject built his small frame house, it was large enough to accommodate his family, but as time passed on he was obliged to add numerous rooms. He now has a handsome residence, one of the most attractive in Mound Township, and which cost $1,200. The farm is neatly and substantially fenced with hedge wire, beyond which one may see the orchard of seventy-five apple trees, cherry, peach, plum and apricot trees and various kinds of small fruit. Every portion of the large farm shows careful and prudent management, and look where one may the evidences of thrift and energy abound. The magnificent Belgian stallion, “Joe,” is a most valuable animal. This noted horse if sour years old, weighs eighteen hundred pounds, and is about seventeen hands high. There are also a number of fine colts upon the place.
Mr. Schmidt is deeply interested in the progress and upward tendency of educational interests, and has been a member of the District School Board nine years, ever giving his earnest effort and the needed work to raise the standard of scholarship and instruction to the highest grade attainable. Our subject and his wife are members of the Mennonite Church and are among its substantial supporters, and Mr. Schmidt is also a member of the School Board connected with that religious organization. Mr. Schmidt’s children enjoy excellent advantages for education, which the older ones have well improved, and the smaller ones are now sharing. Our subject votes with the Democratic party in national elections, but in local affairs gives his earnest support to the man he thinks best adapted to serve the interests of the township and county. Mr. and Mrs. Schmidt and their family are widely known and respected, and are prominently connected with all local benevolent or social enterprises, and both in the church circle and among the general public have many warm friends and well-wishers.
Portrait and Biographical Record of Dickinson, Saline, McPherson and Marion counties. 1893 Page 239 – 240 ~ Submitted by Lisa Smalley
JAMES SITTS, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. McPherson, Section 3, Township 20, Range 4 west. He came to his place in April, 1872, and took it as a soldier's homestead of 160 acres, 150 of which is cultivated. In 1882, he raised 2,300 bushels wheat on 80 acres of ground, and 600 bushels of corn on 35 acres. When he first came to Groveland Township the country was almost entirely unsettled, he plowed the first land in the township. He was born in Canada West, May 16,1844, lived there with parents until 1856, and they moved to Lapeer County, Mich., where he was raised on a farm. Enlisted in June, 1863, in Company E, Eighth Michigan Cavalry, participated in the battle of Nashville, Tenn., and mustered out in September, 1865. Married in April, 1865, to Miss Susan Ramsey. They had three children - William W., George H. and Frederick I. Wife died April 20, 1876. Again married June, 1878, to Mary E. Hart. They have two children, Mary B. and Orville. He is a member of the School Board District No. 41. (Submitted by Carol Domberger)
SMITH, A. W. HON.
Hon. A. W. Smith of McPherson was born in Maine, October 18, 1843. He was reared on a farm, and received his education at the public schools of his native state. On the 9th day of October, 1861, being but a lad of 17, he enlisted in company B, first battalion, Nineteenth United States Infantry, and notwithstanding his youth was chosen sergeant of his company. With the army of the Cumberland he participated in the General engagements at Stone River, Shiloh, siege of Corinth, Hoover's Gap and Chickamaugua. He was taken prisoner September 20, 1863, at the battle of Chickamaugua, and was confined in Libby, Danville and Andersonville prisons a year and a half and was mustered out January 2, 1865, having faithfully served his country three years and eight months.
Mr. Smith cast his first vote in Andersonville prison in 1864 for Abraham Lincoln at which time he made his first political speech. At the close of the war he devoted some time to the recovery of his health which had been undermined by his long prison life. He afterwards followed the coopers trade in Pennsylvania for over three years and he took charge of the Cambria Iron Works as foreman, till he came to Kansas in November 1873. He went to the then unsettled part of McPherson County and settled on a soldier's homestead, 160 acres of land, at Groveland, there being then only three settlers between his home and McPherson, where he has engaged as a farmer and stock raiser ever since. Besides filling many positions of trust in his own locality, he has represented his county at five sessions of the legislature at Topeka in 1875, 1877 and again in 1885, 1886 and 1887. At the last session of the legislature, he was elected speaker by a unanimous Republican vote. In 1880 he was a member of the state central committee. In 1886 and 1877 he was appointed by Governor Martin as delegate at large to the farmers' national congress, held at Indianapolis and was largely instrumental in having Topeka named as the place for holding the farmers congress in 1888. It is said that Mr. Smith sacrified the presidency of the congress to secure the next session to Kansas.
Mr. Smith has fairly earned a high reputation as a sagacious legislator, a forcible speaker and a conscientious public man. As speaker of the house, he was a thorough parliamentarian and an impartial presiding officer. He holds a high place in the confidence and esteem of those who know him best. (Western Kansas World, Wakeeney, Kan., Saturday, March 3, 1888, page 5)
SPILMAN, JAMES ALEXANDER
James Alexander Spilman, the treasurer of McPherson county, was born at Salina, June 8, 1869, a son of Alexander C. and Mary A. (Kennison) Spilman. (See sketch.) James. A. Spilman received his elementary education in the public schools and then entered Lindsborg College, Lindsborg, Kan., where he graduated with the class of 1895. Mr. Spilman had always loved the country and after leaving college invested in a farm near Roxbury, which he conducted until I9o6. He was thrifty, industrious, introduced modern methods and demonstrated that they paid. From first locating in the country Mr. Spilman took an active interest in local affairs and politics and, in 1906, was, elected treasurer of McPherson county on the Republican ticket. He filled this important office so efficiently that in 1908 he was reelected by a flattering majority. Mr. Spilman is a member of McPherson Lodge, No. 172, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons; Chapter, No. 48, Royal Arch Masons, and Garfield Commandery, No. 18, Knights Templars.
On June 20, 1904, Mr. Spilman married Minnie M., the daughter of Charles J. Sheffer of Roxbury, Kan., and two children have been born to the union: James Vivian, born Feb. 18, 1905, and Vernon Alexander, born Oct. 18, 1906. Mr. Spilman is held in high esteem by the citizens of McPherson county and is regarded as one of the substantial and prosperous men of the community. His name stands for integrity, uprightness and clean living. During his terms in public office he has gained the confidence of the people who demonstrated their feelings when they elected him to an office of trust a second time. (Kansas Biography, Vol. III, Part 2, Page 770, submitted by Millie Mowry)
STROMQUIST, JOHN P.
Few there are in the vicinity of Union Township, McPherson county, who do not know good Squire Stromquist, and who do not admire his energy, his industry and his loyalty to his adopted country. Mr. Stromquist was born August 31, 1840, in Smoland, Sweden. He there received a good common-school education, and grew to manhood, the latter part of his stay there being employed on a farm.
Our subject came to America June 24, 1863. He first proceeded directly to Burlington, Iowa, but remained there only a short time, subsequently making his home for five years in Galesburg, Ill., where he was employed in a brickyard.
On the 19th of October, 1867, Mr. Stromquist was married to Matilda Asp, like himself a native of Sweden, born on the 29th of May, 1849, and who emigrated to America in 1861. Mr. and Mrs. Stromquist have been the parents of nine children, eight of whom are living. They are Nannie Christian, John Oscar, William Alfred, Gustaf Luther, Peter Leonard, Hulda Matilda, Otto Theodore and Edna Sophia. The boys are vigorous and sturdy young men, who will undoubtedly take an assured enviable position in social and business life, while the girls are both amiable and attractive, and will make many a home brighter by their presence.
Our subject came to Kansas in December, 1868, and homesteaded his present farm. There was then not a house between Salina and this point, a distance of twenty-eight miles, but a few dug-outs served as habitation for the scattered settlers. Mr. Stromquist built a log house, laying the floor of lumber, which he bought at six cents a foot, a luxury at that time. The homestead claim covered eighty acres of land, and he secured one hundred and twenty acres more of railroad land. Since then he has added to his purchase until he now owns six hundred acres, of which two hundred and forty-two acres are under cultivation.
The Sunflower State is noted for the handsome residences of the agricultural class, nor is our subject’s an exception to the rule. His residence was built in 1876 at a cost of $2,500, and his barns and outhouses are both capacious and substantial. The land is nearly all fenced. He here carries on general farming, raising grain, stock and large quantities of broom corn. During the summer of 1892, he raised one hundred and fifty acres of broom corn.
For two years after coming to Kansas, Mr. Stromquist operated a brickyard in Marquette. He made all the brick for the Fremont church on his own farm. Both Mr. and Mrs. Stromquist are members of the Evangelical Church, and the former is the Secretary of the organization at Fremont, having held this position for twenty-three years. He has also been Trustee and Deacon of the same church. His son, John Oscar, is now Superintendent of the Sunday school. At the same time, he carries on the full collegiate course at Bethany College, where Miss Nannie is also a student. The younger children are still in the district schools. Mr. Stromquist helped financially toward the building of Bethany College. Politically, he is a Republican.
He was the first Township Trustee, holding the office when McPherson County was organized, and was County Commissioner for six years. For the past ten years he has been Justice of the Peace. He has served at various times as delegate to the Kansas Swedish Augustana Synod. Mr. Stromquist has won his way to competency and an assured financial position against severe odds. A poor man when coming here, in his early experience he lost several thousand dollars through going as security for others. This retarded him greatly in his progress. He was undaunted, however, and made up by hard work what he lost through his softness of heart. For many years he has been a great sufferer from rheumatism.
Portrait and Biographical Record of Dickinson, Saline, McPherson and Marion counties. Page 227 - 228
Back to Index Page
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails
with full rights reserved for original submitters.