ROBERT MERCER ARMSTRONG
Robert Mercer Armstrong, pioneer Kansan, was born in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, October 3,1 841, son of Thomas and Mary Armstrong. His death occurred at Council Grove, March 24, 1932. He attended common schools until he was sixteen and for three years was a student in select school, preparatory to teaching.
At the age of twenty-four Robert Mercer Armstrong came to Kansas. After a railroad and steamboat trip he took the stage to finish his journey to Council Grove. On December 7, 1871, he was married to Mollie Strieby, whose brother he had met on the stagecoach west. Uncle Mess and Aunt Mollie, as they were known, were prominent in social, civic, and religious life. Although no children were born to them, they made homes for several orphans. Mrs. Armstrong died on February 14, 1910 and from that time Mr. Armstrong's home was kept by Hughes Strieby, son of Mr. and Mrs. S. M. Strieby, who was reared by Mr. and Mrs. Armstrong.
Mr. Armstrong clerked for Reuben Case, the Aiken Brothers, Ledrick and Robins and was a partner in the hardware business with the Reverend Joab Spencer. For many years he was associated with W. F. Shamleffer, his closest friend for almost sixty years. For more than twenty-five years he was a member of the firm of M. C. Armstrong in partnership with his sister-in-law, Mrs. Clara Hughes
A Republican, he was active politically in his youth. He served as town treasurer 25 years; clerk of the district court 12 years, postmaster 14 years and assistant postmaster two years. In 1918 he was elected city clerk and in August of that year was appointed a member of the library board.
Mr. Armstrong joined the Odd Fellows Lodge on August 7, 1869, and held various offices both in lodge and encampment. He was one of ten charter members of the Presbyterian Church, and in that church occupied every office. From 1885 until his death he was secretary and treasurer of the Sunday School.
A staunch supporter of all moral and spiritual projects, Mr. Armstrong bore the brunt of many battles in the interest of his friends and his community. For sixty-seven years, through struggles and vicissitudes, Council Grove was his first consideration. His death is deeply mourned by all who knew him. (Illustriana Kansas, by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, page 42)
ATKINSON, FRANK WILSON
Frank Wilson Atkinson, banker and cattleman, was born at Latimer, Kansas, May 23, 1889, son of William and Clara Matilda (Reeves) Atkinson. His father, a farmer and cattleman, was born at Lexington, Missouri, February 5, 1857. His mother was born at Albany, Ohio, November 16, 1865.
Educated in public school, Mr. Atkinson attended Bethany College at Lindsborg, and Salina Business College. He is now president of the Kansas Livestock Association, and the Farmers State Bank of Burdick, and a member of the national meat board.
On July 25, 1921, he was married to Emily Jane Harrison at Densmore. She was born there June 25, 1898. Mr. Atkinson is a Republican, and Elk and a Mason. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, the Chamber of Commerce, the Order of Eastern Star, the Herrington Country Club, and the Kansas City Club of Kansas City, Missouri. Residence: Burdick. (Illustriana Kansas, by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, page 47)
William Atkinson, farmer and banker, was born at Lexington, Missouri, February 5, 1858, son of Stephen H. and Elizabeth (Young) Atkinson. His father was born at Marietta, Ohio, and died at Latimer, Kansas. The mother, a native of Pennsylvania, died in Morris County, Kansas.
On March 27, 1886, Mr. Atkinson was married to Clara M. Reaves at Parkersville, Kansas. She was born at Athens, Ohio, December 16, 1869. To them the following children were born: Edna Frances, Frank. Agnes, Margaret, William, Charles and Vivian.
Mr. Atkinson is a Republican. He is a Mason and a member of the Baptist Church. His hobby is raising livestock. Residence: Burdick. (Illustriana Kansas, by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, page 48)
Christopher Columbia, of Morris County, was born January 8, 1821, in Athens County, Ohio, the oldest of eight children. When a boy his parents moved to Fort Wayne, Ind., and a portion of that city is now located on the farm where the subject of this sketch lived. He cross the plains in 1849 or 1850, returning by way of the Isthmus. He removed to Kansas with his family in 1852, becoming a licensed trader to the Kansas Indians, settling in what became Breckinridge (now Lyon) county, at the crossing of Rock creek, near the town of Dunlap. He was a blacksmith and farmer. He was elected to the legislature of 1857 over a very strong pro-slavery man. He died November 16, 1861, and was buried in the old graveyard near the mission building. His remains were afterwards removed to the city cemetery. He obtained the title of captain from the party with whom he crossed the plains. His widow remained in Council Grove until his four boys were grown men, when she moved with one of them to Chetopa, where she died a few years ago . (Transactions of the Kansas State Historical Society 1907-1908, Vol. X, edited by Geo. W. Martin, Secretary, State Printing Office, Topeka, 1908, page 209)
CROWLEY, CLARENCE A.
Clarence A. Crowley. It is an old saying that a young lawyer must leave home and go among strangers in order to build up a successful legal career. While this is often the case there are marked exceptions to the rule, and the life and achievements of the man whose name introduces this sketch prove that a young man of the right temperament and application may become prominent and honored as a lawyer in the very locality where he first saw the light of day. Among the many rising young attorneys of Kansas few stand higher in their profession than Clarence A. Crowley, Morris county's well known prosecuting attorney. Sixty years ago his grandfather, Allen Crowley, came to that old historic town of Council Grove and thus was one of the pioneers of the Neosho Valley. There he became one of the most progressive and prosperous farmers of that locality and when he died left a large family of sons, daughters and grandchildren. The Crowley family is of English origin-first coming to Virginia and afterwards to Tennessee. Before coming to Kansas they lived for a time in Clay county, Missouri.
Clarence A. Crowley was born at Council Grove, July 28, 1880. His father was Augustus Crowley, long a well known merchant of that city, and his mother, before her marriage, was Fanny Price Roberts of Clay county, Missouri. Clarence was reared in the indulgent and popular home of his parents right on the banks of the Neosho and, being somewhat frail in his youth, early took to books and was an apt student and always popular with the young people of his native city. His desire for an education took him through courses of study somewhat varied in their scope-one year at the Agricultural College at Manhattan, one year at Washburn College, Topeka, and two years at the College of Emporia. During his school life he developed an independence along lines of study and thought and his keen originality chafed somewhat when held in check by obsolete forms or hindered by the consideration of dead issues. Mr. Crowley began the study of law during vacation periods and was admitted to the bar before he was of age. For a time he was a partner of ex-Judge M. B. Nicholson and afterwards in company with Senator George P. Morehouse formed the law company of Morehouse & Crowley, which for several years was one of the leading law firms of that section of Kansas. Senator Morehouse moved to Topeka and Mr. Crowley being elected county attorney of Morris county, the firm dissolved, and since that time Mr. Cowley has been practicing alone. For a young man his legal experience has been of a wide range and has embraced litigation of the most intricate and important character. His large per cent of successes, both as a trial lawyer and before the supreme court evinces the labors of a close student of legal principles and industry as a practitioner. He was elected county attorney of Morris county in 1910 and has made a safe, efficient and vigorous public prosecutor. He always refuses assistant counsel, when appearing for the county and state, no matter how many or able are the attorneys for the defense, believing that a county attorney should have the legal ability and energy to enforce the criminal laws without calling upon the county commissioners to go to the expense of hiring assistants. This has made Mr. Crowley popular with the people, who have found that he has the legal ability and force to cope with the best legal talent of the state. Mr. Crowley is possessed of a keen perception and has a careful and analytical legal mind which serves him well in his chosen profession. While able to care for himself in the hurly-burly of a law suit he never loses sight of the real law in the case and the equitable rights of all parties concerned. One of his strong points as a lawyer is that he is never boisterous or domineering in his methods and never becomes excited or loses his head during the trial of a cause. Possessing, as he does, this judicial temperament, although yet young in years, he has already been favorably mentioned for the position of district judge, a position his many friends confidently expect him to fill some day. Mr. Crowley is prominent in Masonic circles, being a member of Chapter 60, Royal Arch Masons, Knights Templars, Commandery 32; and also a member of Isis Temple, Mystic Shrine of Salina, Kan.
On Oct. 22, 1902, he married Miss Pearl Hairier, daughter of D. W. Hainer of Emporia, Kan. Mrs. Crowley's lineage goes back to prominent New England Colonial and Revolutionary families, and she is active as a Daughter of the American Revolution and in other social and civic organizations. They are both members of the First Congregational Church of their home city. Mr. and Mrs. Crowley live in a neat little cottage well up on the slope of Old Belfry Hill, right where the famed Santa Fe Trail climbed up to the level of the highland ridge on its way to the far Southwest. Here they can look down upon the historic little city of Council Grove, partially hidden in woodlands, bordering both sides of the beautiful Neosho. Here they can see the very groves and dells where Mr. Crowley played in childhood and muse upon and relate to their friends the fascinating legendary lore of that famous valley. (Kansas Biography, Part 2, Vol. III, 1912, Pages 1065-1066, Transcribed as written by Millie Mowry)
HAZELRIGG, Mrs. Clara H., author, educator and reformer, born in Council Grove, Kans., 23rd November, 1861. She is the youngest living daughter of Col. H. J. Espy. Her mother was Melora E. Cook, teacher in the schools of Sandusky, Ohio. Her father was apprenticed to learn a trade, but ran away at the age of thirteen to become a soldier. For more than ten years he was a member of the standing army of the United States. He served with distinction in the Mexican war and was Colonel of the 68th Indiana Volunteers during the Civil War. Wounded several times, carried off the field of Chickamauga for dead, his injuries caused his death shortly after the close of the war, and his four children were left orphans, their mother having died several years before his decease. With an only sister, Clara returned to Indiana, where she had resided during the war, and remained there until after her marriage. At the time of her birth Kansas was undergoing her early struggles for freedom, and the spirit of the times stamped itself on the mind of the child. From the age of eleven she supported herself. Fitting herself for teaching, she began to teach when a young girl, and that occupation she has followed almost without cessation for sixteen years. When twelve years old, she wrote for the press, but, being of a sensitive, retiring disposition, she shrank from public criticism and seldom wrote over her own name. In 1877 she became the wife of W. A. Hazelrigg, of Greensburg, Ind. They have one child, a girl. They removed to Kansas in 1884, and Mrs. Hazelrigg has taught every year since. She is principal of one of the city schools in El Dorado. She has traveled much during her vacations, and writes constantly during the entire year for the press. She has written for many prominent periodicals in various States. She is the editor of a department in a prominent Chicago paper, and is a regular contributor to the Topeka “Lancet.” She has labored in the silver-medal work for the Woman’s Christian Temperance Union and in the public work of the Woman’s Relief Corps. An active member of the Christian Church since childhood, her work has always been with young people, with whom she is very popular.
(Source: American Women, by Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Vol 1, 1897. Transcribed by Marla Snow)
HIGGINSON, Mrs. Ella Rhoada, poet and author, was born in a log cabin near Council Grove, Kans., in 1862. Her maiden name was Ella Rhoads. In 1864 her family moved westward over the plains to Oregon, where she has spent most of her life. Her educational advantages were limited to a grammar-school course and a short season in the Oregon City Seminary. In 1886 she became the wife of Russell C. Higginson, a druggist, and their home is in Sehome, on Bellingham Bay, Puget Sound, Washington. Mrs. Higginson edited a woman's department in the "West Shore" for several years, and she also contributes to a number of eastern periodicals and journals. In her girlhood she wrote several love stories, but she did not seriously attempt literature until 1888. In that year she sent a poem to the Boston "Courier," which attracted general attention and was widely copied. She had published a number of poems in the "West Shore," but the Boston incident was her first important incentive to higher effort. Since that date she has written and published many remarkable poems, and she now ranks with the foremost of the younger singers of the United States.
(Source: American Women, by Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Vol 1, 1897. Transcribed by Marla Snow)
MULLER, KARL RUDOLPH
Karl Rudolph Muller. Among the more recent settlers of Okanogan county, we have the pleasure of mentioning the subject of this article, who is one of the progressive and substantial citizens. He is dwelling about three miles northwest from Tonasket post office, where he owns a quarter section of land, and is giving his attention to farming and stock raising. He was born July 20, 1877, in Erie county, Ohio, the son of Karl and Amelia Muller, natives of Switzerland. He was well educated in the public schools in Ohio and Kansas, and remained with his father until twenty-one. His minority was spent on a farm where he met with the invigorating exercise incident to rural life. Soon after he became of age he worked out for some time and procured a team and wagon for himself, after which he followed farming a short time in Morris county, Kansas. Then he made a journey to the Alberta country, Canada, and returned to Kansas. He sold his property in February, 1901, and came to join his brother in Okanogan county. He at once selected his present homestead and since that time the two brothers have been laboring together in partnership, in general farming and stock raising. The parents are still living in Kansas. These young men have made for themselves a good reputation in this western country, and judging from the past, we presage for them a bright and prosperous future. [Source: "An illustrated History of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan, and Chelan Counties in the state of Washington" Western Historical Publishing Company, 1904 - Tr. by Helen Coughlin]
NICHOLSON, MALCOLM BEATON
Malcolm Beaton Nicholson, ex-judge of the Eighth judicial district and one of the best known lawyers of Central Kansas, was born at Skye Glenn, Inverness county, in the British province of Nova Scotia, June 15, 1844. His parents, John and Ann (Beaton) Nicholson, were natives of the Isle of Skye, Scotland. Judge Nicholson received his early schooling in the academy of his native town, after which he attended Dalhousie College, at Halifax, Nova Scotia, and graduated at the Westminster College, Fulton, Mo., as a member of the class of 1869. He then read law with J. D. Campbell and J. P. Lewis of Rockport, Mo., and, in 1870, was admitted to the bar. About the same time he was elected superintendent of schools in Atchison county, Missouri, on the Democratic ticket, and at the expiration of his term, in 1872, removed to Council Grove, Morris county, Kansas, where he began the practice of his profession, and there he still resides. In 1876 he was elected county attorney of Morris county, which office he filled with such signal ability that, in 1883, he was elected judge of the Eighth district, and at the close of his first term was reelected, in 1887, and on conclusion of his service, in January, 1892, engaged in private prac-tice. Judge Nicholson was appointed by Governor Morrill a member of the board of managers of the state reformatory, at Hutchinson, and was one of the organizers of that institution. He selected the first inmates of the reformatory from a group of some thirty boys in the penitentiary, at Lansing, soon after which he resigned his place on the board. As an attorney Judge Nicholson has a high standing and commands the respect and confidence of bench, bar and public. He has been admitted to practice in all courts of the United States, including the supreme court. Among his clients are the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific and the Missouri Pacific Railroad Companies, the Farmers' & Drovers' Bank of Council Grove, and the First National Bank of White City. His early legal training, supplemented by his long experience on the bench, qualifies him for the practice of all branches of the law, and to these qualifications might be added the fact that he makes thorough preparation of each case before it is brought to trial, so that he is never to be taken unawares by some crafty opponent. His success is evidenced by the long list of legal contests in which he has come out victor. He has never ceased to take an interest in political affairs and was three times nominated for justice of the Kansas supreme court by his party, though he cannot be classed as a professional office-seeker, his interest being merely that which should be manifested by every patriotic American citizen, and his nominations came to him unsolicited. In Masonic circles he is a familiar and prominent figure, being a member of Council Grove Lodge, No. 36; Royal Arch Chapter, No. 60; and Knights Templars Commandery, No. 32, all at Council Grove; and of Wichita Consistory, No. 2, Scottish Rite Masons. He is also affiliated with Isis Temple Shrine at Salina, and of Salina Lodge, No. 718, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
On June 8, 1871, Judge Nicholson married Miss Albertine, daughter of Dr. J. Y. Bird of Rockport, Mo., and of this union have been born the following children: John Bird, a graduate of the Virginia Military Institute, now in California; Josephine, wife of Ernest D. Scott, assistant cashier of the Farmers' & Drovers' Bank of Council Grove; Winifred, at home with her parents; Sarah Ione, wife of George G. Stuart of Salina, Kan.; and Malcolm E., who completed a course at the Kansas State Agricultural College in 1903. (Kansas Biography, Vol. III, Part 2, Pages 805-806, Transcribed by Millie Mowry)
SMITH, GEORGIA M.
Georgia M. Smith, business woman and welfare worker, was born in Council Grove, Kansas, August 1, 1885, daughter of George and Charlotte (McMullen) Smith. Her father was born at Aurora, Illinois, on January 10, 1846, of Scotch-Irish ancestry, and is now retired. Her mother was born in Chicago, October 2, 1846. Her ancestry is also Irish.
Georgia M. Smith attended elementary schools in Council Grove, and afterward was a student at the Council Grove High School for two years. She is a Republican. At the present time, she is associated with the Leader Drygoods Company and is engaged in newspaper work. She is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic Woman's Relief corps, and active in its organization. During the flood of 1929, she was active in Red Cross work and for six years has been engaged as a welfare worker. She is a member of the Chamber of Comemrce, the Red Cross, and Goodfellows, the Security Benefit Association of Topeka, and the Business and Professional Women's Club. Residence: Council Grove. (Illustrania, Kansas, edited by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, page 1079)
WHITING, RICHARD H.
Richard H. Whiting. To have accomplished so notable a work as did the late Major Whiting, in connection with the early development of Morris county, Kansas, would prove sufficient to give precedence and reputation to any man, were this to represent the sum total of his efforts; but Major Whiting was a man of broad mental ken, strong initiative and distinct individuality, who left not only a lasting impression on the early life of Morris county, but also was a most potent, though unostentatious factor in the commercial, social and public life of Illinois, where he took up his residence in 1841.
Richard H. Whiting was born in West Hartford, Conn., Jan. 17, 1826, a son of Allen and Elvira Amanda (Alford) Whiting. He received his education in the schools of his native city and, in 1841, when sixteen years of age, immigrated to Illinois, locating at Altona, where he secured employment as clerk, subsequently becoming the owner of a prosperous mercantile business in Victoria, Knox county. In the early '50s he removed to Galesburg and founded the gas works there, as well as in Aurora, and owned them until his death. In the early days of the Civil war he was commissioned an army paymaster by President Lincoln, with the rank of major, and on the conclusion of the struggle was appointed assessor of internal revenue at Galesburg, Ill., but on the abolition of that office in 1869, he was appointed collector of internal revenue by President Grant, to succeed Hon. J. J. Henderson, with office in Peoria. In 1814 he resigned this office and was elected to Congress from the Fifth Illinois district, serving one term with honor and distinction, but refusing to become a candidate for renomination. From its organization he was an active and influential member of the Republican party and served as a delegate to two national conventions, in 1880 being one of the "306 immortals" who received bronze medals as souvenirs of their gallant fight in the interest of ex-President Grant, who for many years was a close friend of Major Whiting.
In 1866 Major Whiting made his first trip to Kansas, where he purchased his first land, and during the succeeding five years accumulated holdings of 8,100 acres, situated in different parts of Morris county. He expended large sums in improvements and stocked his ranches with the best horses, mules, cattle and hogs, and was justly accredited one of the most progressive ranch owners of Kansas. These properties were bought with the view of placing his children in the new and growing West, and his sons, Charles R. and Thomas Wilbert, were given leases and the active supervision of the properties. He was from an early day interested in the Morris County State Bank, and on the organization of the Farmers' & Drovers' Bank of Council Grove, became its largest individual stockholder, and placed his son-in-law, John Farnham, as assistant cashier and director. His sons, Charles R. and Thomas Wilbert, are now directors and large stockholders in the institution. He was one of the most potent factors in the development of Morris county, and from 1876 until 1887 spent a large part of his time in the general supervision of his largest interests in the county.
In the fall of 1887 Major Whiting was summoned to the bedside of his daughter, Mrs. Howard Knowles, who was ill in New York City, and who never recovered. Grief over her death resulted in illness, from which Major Whiting died May 24, 1888, in New York. His burial was in Springdale cemetery, Peoria, Ill.
Major Whiting married July 28, 1851, Elizabeth Hanna Kirkbride, born May 25, 1827, daughter of David M. Kirkbride, of Woodsfield, Ohio. The widow, now a resident of Los Angeles, Cal., and the following children survive him: Charles R., born March 17, 1854, is the owner of the Diamond Spring Ranch in Morris county, Kansas, a director in the Farmers' & Drovers' State Bank of Council Grove, and is one of the most prominent citizens of the county; Ella, born Jan. 22, 1858, is the widow of John Farnham and resides in New York City; Thomas Wilbert (see sketch); and Frank K., born Aug. 14, 1867, is a resident of Los Angeles, Cal. Ida A., born May 2, 1852, the eldest child, married the Hon. Howard K. Knowles, collector of internal revenue at Peoria, Ill., and died in New York City in 1887. Two children died in infancy.
The following tribute to Major Whiting, from his lifelong friend, Col. Robert G. Ingersoll, who was a daily attendant at his bedside during his last illness, has been published in full:
"The river of another life has reached the sea. Again we are in the presence of that eternal peace that we call death. My life has been rich in friends, but I never had a better or truer one than he who lies in silence here. He was as steadfast, as faithful as the stars. Richard H. Whiting was an absolutely honest man. His word was gold, his promise was fulfillment, and there never has been, there never will be, on this poor earth, any thing nobler than an honest, loving soul. This man was as reliable as the attraction of gravitation; he knew no shadow of turning. He was as generous as autumn, as hospitable as summer, as tender as a perfect day in June. He forgot only himself, and asked favors only for others. He begged for the opportunity to do good, to stand by a friend, to support a cause, to defend what he believed to be right. He was a lover of nature, of the woods, the fields and flowers. He was a home builder. He believed in the family and the fireside, the sacredness of the hearth. He was a believer in the religion of deed, and his creed was to do good. No man has ever slept in death who nearer lived his creed. I have known him many years, and have yet to hear a word spoken of him except in praise. His life was full of honor, of kindness and of helpful deeds. Besides all, his soul was free. He feared nothing except to do wrong. He was a believer in the gospel of help and hope. He knew how much better, how much more sacred, a kind act is than any theory the brain has wrought. The good are the noble; his life filled the lives of others with sunshine. He has left a legacy of glory to his children. They can truthfully say that within their veins is right royal blood, the blood of an honest, generous man, of a steadfast friend, of one who was true to the very gates of death. If there be another world, another life beyond the shore of this-if the great and good who died upon this orb are there then the noblest and best with eager hands have welcomed him, the equal in honor, in generosity, of any one that ever passed beyond the veil. To me this world is growing poor. New friends can never fill the place of the old. Farewell! If this be the end, then you have left to us the memory of a noble life. If it is not the end, there is no world in which you, my friend, will not be loved and welcomed. Farewell!" (Kansas Biography, Vol. III, Part 2, Pages 880-882, Transcribed as written by Millie Mowry) (A picture of R. H. Whiting, may be obtained by contacting the contributor at Rock2Plate@aol.com).
WHITING, THOMAS WILBERT
Thomas Wilbert Whiting. As a representative citizen of Morris county, one who for the past thirty years has been actively identified with its growth and development, Mr. Whiting merits distinctive recog-nition in this publication. Progressive and energetic in the management of his varied interests, loyal and public spirited as a citizen, he holds a secure position in the confidence and esteem of the community and is contributing in a very large measure to the advancement of the city of Council Grove.
Thomas Wilbert Whiting was born in Galesburg, Knox county, Illinois, July 9, 1862, a son of the late Hon. Richard H. and Elizabeth Hanna (Kirkbride) Whiting. (See sketch of Richard H. Whiting.) His education was acquired in the public schools of Peoria, Ill., and, in 1881, when nineteen years of age, he came to Morris county, where he took active charge of an 1,800 acre ranch, which was leased to him by his father and was situated about eleven miles from Council Grove. As a farmer and stockman Mr. Whiting has been exceptionally successful, and his present holding of 2,400 acres, known as "Sylvan Park Stock Ranch," offers an example of modern farm methods at their best. The property contains every improvement possible at this writing and also has its own railway station building, on the Missouri, Kansas & Texas railroad, a church edifice erected by him for the use of the family and neighbors, as well as a suitable school building. Mr. Whiting was the first to bring Duroc hogs to Morris county, and became an extensive breeder in this line, and also for several years had a large number of registered Percherons, and from 1895 to 1908 he bred Hereford and short horn cattle quite extensively. He has also been a large cattle feeder since coming to Kansas. In 1910 he began to purchase a number of choice business and residence properties in Council Grove and engaged in improving them. He erected the Whiting Garage on Main street, a modern brick and cement building, 80 by 140 feet and equipped with a thoroughly modern machine shop for repair work, and established an automobile, automobile supply and repair business. This plant is considered by the trade one of the two leaders in Kansas, as regards quality of construction, size and equipment. He has in course of construction four modern bungalow residences for rental purposes, and has completed a cut-stone residence for himself, the most ornate and costly home in Council Grove. He has also purchased the old Main Street Hotel property and adjoining buildings, giving him a frontage of ninety-one feet in the center of the business district, with the idea of constructing in the near future a modern hotel building. He contemplates erecting several modern residences for rental and investment. His entrance into the commercial and social life of Council Grove has been of marked advantage to the city, and he is entitled to be called her most progressive citizen. He is also a large stockholder and director in the Farmers' & Drovers' State Bank. He has attained to the Knights Templar degree in Masonry and is affiliated with Isis Temple Shrine of Salina.
Mr. Whiting has been married twice; first, on Oct. 17, 1894, to Stella, daughter of the late Porter L. Howard, a pioneer of Morris county, Kansas. Mrs. Whiting died, July 20, 1897, leaving a son, Howard K., who died March 16, 1911. On April 11, 1898, Mr. Whiting married Alice Howard, sister of his first wife. They are the parents of a daughter, Stella E., born Oct. 2, 1899. Mr. and Mrs. Whiting are members of the Christian church and are generous in their contributions to its support. (Kansas Biography, Vol. III, Part 2, Pages 882-883, Transcribed as written by, Millie Mowry)