Slayer of Deputy Marshal Roberts Behind Bars

Jail Breaker Adds to His Numerous Crimes that of Murder – Desperate Race for Liberty

E. F. Estelle, the Marshall county safe-blower who shot and killed Deputy Marshall Roberts of Dunlap, Sunday morning while resisting arrest, was captured five miles southeast of Hartford last night. When captured, Estelle and his accomplice, James Murphy, were asleep in the woods. Murphy at once surrendered, but Estelle started to run, and was shot through one of his legs. The men were taken to the Lyon county jail at Emporia, where they were at once threatened by mob violence. A large number of Morris county people who were friends of the murdered deputy, were anxious to avenge his death.

Estelle was located in the woods in the vicinity of Dunlap in Morris county, early Sunday morning. Some of the officers attempted to arrest him, when he discharged a shot gun at the party, the shot passing through the heart of Deputy Roberts. The other officers fled, not knowing how well the fugitives might be armed.

Estelle and his companion then started in a southerly direction, pursued by a posse of hundreds of farmers and others. Yesterday afternoon they were surrounded in some woods between Burlington and Emporia and after some hours of waiting on the part of the officers, they were captured.

The posse making the capture was in command of Sheriff O’Connor, of Emporia, and was composed of citizens and officers from various places, among whom were Patrolman Carpenter, of Topeka and Sheriff Guthrie of Marshall County.

Estelle escaped from jail in Marshall county on May 9, and Sheriff Guthrie immediately undertook his recapture. The sheriff followed him over 150 miles at some times not being more than twenty minutes behind him. During the time Estelle and his companion were trying to escape they stole two horses. Murphy his companion, escaped from the jail at the same time as Estelle. He was not an accomplice in the crime for which Estelle was confined in the jail, however, Estelle will now have to face the charges of safe-blowing, horse-stealing, resisting an officer and murder.


Estelle was arrested in this city January 29, on the charge of breaking a safe at Irving, Kan. In 1896 he blew open a safe in the postoffice at Altamont, Kan., for which crime he served a sentence of twenty-seven months in the Federal Penitentiary at Leavenworth. Previous to the time of his imprisonment he had formed the acquaintance of Miss Nora Lowman of Lafontaine, Kan., and wishing to marry her, he kept up a correspondence with her all the time he was in prison. He sent the letters to some friends in Dennison, Tex., who forwarded them to the girl. She was ignorant of the fact that he was in prison, and in his letters he represented to her that he was in the book business in Dennison and was doing well. He told her that one of the books he was selling was a Life of Christ, and to confirm his statement he sent her a copy of the book.

After his release from prison Estelle went to the farm of the girl’s father and proposed that they be married. Miss Lowman consented and they went to Iola on January 18, where the ceremony was performed. From Iola they came to Topeka and took lodging at a local hotel. On January 25 he told his wife he was going to Kansas City but instead went to Irving, where he robbed the safe on January 26. He came back to this city and began to place in circulation some of the money taken from the safe. The money was battered and gave the suspicion that something was wrong. On the night of January 29 he was arrested by Sergeant Donovan and a force of policemen.

Detective Gilmore and Chief Ramsey then started out on a tour of investigation. Estelle claimed that he had not been in Irving on the day of the robbery, but the officers named visited a number of towns and traced Estelle from Topeka to Irving and from there back to this city.

The fact was quite well established that he had committed the robbery and he was turned over to Sheriff Guthrie of Marshall county, from whom he escaped on May 9.


A few days after Estelle was taken to the Marshall county jail, Detective Gilmore visited him for the purpose of trying to obtain a confession. After two days work, Estelle made a full confession to Gilmore in which he said that he had committed the crime for which he was arrested. He took the detective to the place where he had hidden some of the things taken from the safe. He gave a history of all his actions in connection with the affair including the manner in which he was married.

Estelle is an innocent appearing man, but his photograph is in the Pinkerton collection of criminals and in every rogue’s gallery west of Chicago. He is an accomplished criminal and has escaped from prison many times. (Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital, May 15, 1900)


BURDICK, Kan.--- A driverless and wildly circling car ran down two elderly men in the yard of their farm home Friday, killing both.

The Morris county sheriff's office said Albert Nelson Olofson, 81, and Oscar A. Olofson, 76, were preparing to load a case of eggs into the car when it apparently slipped into reverse gear while the engine was running.

The car, moving backward in circles, struck and dragged the two men, who died at the scene.

When help summoned by a sister, Miss Anna Olofson, 86, arrived, the car had stopped on a small ridge in the yard with its engine still running.

The accident occurred about 1-1/2 miles east of this Morris county town some 12 miles southeast of Herington.
(Salina Journal ~ Friday ~ November 9, 1973)



Charged With Stealing Engine Parts from Rock Island Shops---Shipped It as Baggage to Emporia---Watch for Accomplice

Oscar Ludolph was arrested in Council Grove last night, on a state warrant charging theft of brass from the Rock Island shops in Herrington. Lucolph shipped 280 pounds of brass in engine fittings to Emporia yesterday, over the M. K. & T. The property was billed to Lucolph himself, and is under the surveilance of the officers today in an effort to detect Ludolph's accomplice in Emporia.

J. F. Rossiter, special agent for the Rock Island, was working on the case, and was in Emporia yesterday. From facts in possession of Rossiter the other officers, it is believed that Ludolph---who had been an employee of the railroad company this year---has been carrying out the brass from the shops a piece at a time. This brass was in valve parts and other locomotive fittings, which becomes valuable in quantity. The amount that Ludolph sent to Emporia is valued at $150 or $200. He shipped the goods as baggage over the Missouri Pacific to Council Grove. At the station in the latter town, one of the boxes split opn in handling and the nature of the shipment was disclosed. It was this circumstance that set the officers on Lucolph's trail.

Lucolph came to Emporia from Council Grove with his property yesterday and went back there in the afternoon. Officer Rossiter went by way of Peabody to Herrington last night, and procured the warrant for Ludolph's arrest. The prison was caught in Council Grove, by means of the telegraph.

An Emporia drayman held the bill of lading for the brass, and proposed to deliver it here today. The officers watched the destination of the goods.
(Emporia Gazette ~ Tuesday ~ June 17, 1913)


COUNCIL GROVE, Kan., Dec. 18---About 3 o'clock yesterday morning burglars effected an entrance to the postoffice through the back door and by drilling and skillful punch work broke two doors of the safe, from which they took $250 in money. Part of the tools used were taken from a blacksmith shop in the city. There is no clue.
(Emporia Gazette ~ Friday ~ December 18, 1896)


The case of the Board of Education of Council Grove against F. H. Bowers to recover $525 damages on a steam heating plant, which Bowers put in the school building at Council Grove, which the board claimed is not what it should be, was finished in district court this morning and given to the jury. A number of witnesses were examined on both sides. Mr. Thurman, of the Council Grove schools, Peterson, the janitor, and Talbert, of the school board, testified that the heating apparatus was ill-arranged and not up to the contract. H. D. Pier, of Emporia, also testified for the school board. Dan McCarty testified for Bowers, and to prove his assertions Bowers also had Carl Hogue and T. P. Edson, of Topeka, as expert witnesses. Edson has traveled all over the west putting in heating plants for the company he represents, and his testimony was therefore considered valuable in consequence of his wide knowledge of the subject.

As soon as this case was finished the case of O. M. Wilhite against the City of Emporia for flood damages was taken up.
(Emporia Gazette ~ Tuesday ~ October 17, 1905)


A fair sized crowd attended the bicycle races at Council Grove yesterday. Three Emporia riders appeared for the first time. They were Charles Harding, Frank Randolph and John Gabriel. Gabriel was the only rider of the three who was in the races at any time. He won second place in the one and a half novice. In the three mile race he took fifth place. Gabriel is a coming rider. He is remarkably fast but has had no track experience. The crowd went up in a wagonette, and coming back the horses gave out and the fellows had to walk.
(Emporia Gazette ~ Friday ~ July 8, 1898)


Council Grove, Kan., July 7---The first suicide in the annals of this city occurred here this afternoon at 4 o'clock. Wm. Brecket, a laborer, aged 41 years, shot himself at his home, the ball entering his left breast just above the nipple and death ensued in about an hour.
(Benevolent Banner ~ Topeka, KS ~ Saturday ~ July 9, 1887)


Remarkable Scene at a Concert in Council Grove

Council Grove, Kan., Feb. 18---Last night during the musical concert of Blind Boone and his company at the Etta Opera house, an exciting and peculiar incident took place, showing the temper of the people in regard to the war feeling toward Spain and the sympathy for Cuba.

About 10 p.m., a telegram was read from the stage by Judge Stewart of this city stating that Consul. General Lee had been killed by a Spanish mob in the streets of Havana; that McKinley had called a night special session of Congress and that inquiry had been sent to all the states to ascertain the number of volunteer troops to be available at once.

The expression of patriotism that followed was enthusiastic in the extreme. Men and boys offered their services amidst rounds of applause, some women cried, others urged the good work on, while Bline Boone made his grand piano ring with patriotic airs such as America and Marching through Georgia. When the audience dispersed, the news spread all over the city. Crowds of men and boys sat up most of the night waiting for additional war news.

This morning the matter was still believed by most people and has spread all over the county and crowds have rushed into the city to hear the latest. Today it would be an easy matter to organize several companies to go to the front. It has been ascertained today that the telegram was one that Agent Finch of the M. K. & T. R. R., took from the wires and thinking it authentic, sent it over to the opera house.

It will be several days before the excitement can be allayed and the truth of the situation realized by the rank and file of the community and surrounding country.
(Topeka Weekly Capital ~ Tuesday ~ February 22, 1898)

The bicycle races at Council Grove yesterday were fully up to the expectations of those who attended. Horace Whittlesey, Emporia's crack amateur, was scared away by the report that a number of professionals would be there. The boys wired him to come and he arrived in time to go in the one mile handicap, with a sixty yards handicap; he won easily. The prize was a fine diamond which Mr. Whittlesey is showing to admirers today. Eight races were scheduled and three had been run so that he come in only for the last race. In the tandem race Jay and Whittlesey, of this city, took third place.
(Emporia Gazette ~ Thursday ~ September 24, 1896)


Council Grove

On the 20th of Nov., 1902, Marshal Keefer arrested Bob Bryant, colored, near the Midland hotel for using boisterous language, on the marshal's complaint, so Keefer testifies. Keefer took Bryant about three quarters of a mile up main street, across the town bridge, then through the billiard hall into the alley which was still two and a half blocks to the city jail.
(Plaindealer ~ Friday ~ April 17, 1903)

Council Grove

Mr. Jacob Welcher of Four Mile, Kans., was very much surprised last Sat. evening June 2d by a number of his friends coming in and spending the evening with him. He is an old resident of Morris Co., having lived here since 1865. He has a nice farm of 160 acres well improved which he homesteaded in 1872. As he was here in the early days of Kansas when grasshoppers and drouths were prevalent and hard times were knocking at every ones door, he was compelled to mortgage his farm in 1880. For 20 yrs. he has labored hard to pay off that mortgage and was finally successful in cancelling it June 14th, 1900. His many friends to show their appreciation of the effort he made and his success planned this surprise on him.

They drove in the yard in wagons, carriages and buggies, singing "We are all here." The ladies marched into the kitchen deposited their baskets and set a supper table that did justice to the occasion. Those present with the assistance of some of his friends of Council Grove the most prominent business men, gave Mr. Welcher a handsome easy chair and Mrs. Welcher a nice pickle stand with silver trimmings. Mr. M. G. Hooker presented the presented with appropriate remakrs. Mr. Welcher gave the crowd quite a history of his stay on the farm, relatin many amusing incidents. Supper was then served and all departed for their homes carrying with them the memory of a most enjoyable evening.
(Plaindealer ~ Friday ~ June 8, 1900)

Council Grove, Kan., April 2---E. e. Crandell, who was shot by his step-son, Guy Wellington, on February 26, died last night. Wellington escaped from his guard several weeks ago and is now supposed to be in the northwest. He is dark complexioned, about five feet seven inches tall, smooth face with black, deep-set eyes; hair black, growing bald on fore top, weight about 110 pounds. Follows the occupation of locomotive fireman.
(Topeka Weekly Capital ~ Thursday ~ April 4, 1889)

Council Grove, Kay., May 22----Judge Nicholson today sentenced George Wellington to the penitentiary for a term of twenty years for the willful murder of his step-father, E. E. Crawdill.
(Topeka Weekly Capital ~ Thursday ~ May 30, 1889)


Council Grove, Kan., May 9---A unique memorial service was held at the First Presbyterian church yesterday. It was in memory of the naval heroes who went down in the battleship Maine. Crowds gathered early at the church, which was beautifully decorated with flowers, foliage and flags. On one of the flags was the significant sentiment "Remember the Maine." A squad of members from Wadsworth Post G.A.R. marched to the church in a body and occupied reserved seats. Special music, both instrumental and vocal, was a pleasing and touching part of the service. The Rev. W. E. Mack, pastor of the church, preached an interesting and able discourse. A collection was taken which was sent to the Main memorial monument committee.
(Topeka Weekly Capital ~ Tuesday ~ May 10, 1898)


Guests of Council Grove Hotel Barely Escaped in their Night Clothes When Fire Destroyed the Building Early This Morning

Council Grove, Jan. 28---Guests in the Saddle Rock Hotel in this town were routed from their beds at 4:30 o'clock this morning and barely escaped in their nightclothes when fire destroyed the building. The thermometer registed 10 below zero and those who escaped suffered severely from the cold.

Dan King, a engineer from Kansas City, barely escaped death. In attempting to leave the building he was overcome by smoke in the hall on the second floor, but was rescued by Charles Reaves, a brakeman from Osawatomie, who dragged him out on the porch balcony. Then Reaves succeeded in reviving him and the two climbed down to safety in their night clothes, just as the walls gave way.
(Emporia Gazette ~ January 28, 1915)


A Colored Man Wanted in Council Grove for Killing His Illegitimate Child

Deputy Sheriff Polk of Morris county came in from Council Grove yesterday to look for a colored man named Hathaway. Hathaway is a young fellow of about 23, and is accused of the murder of his child. The child was a bastard, and Hathaway did not like to support it, which he was obliged to do. He went one day to the house where the child was and asked to be allowed to take it to his mother and have her take care of it. But instead of taking the child to his mother he is said to have taken it out somewhere and murdered it. Sheriff Wilkerson has a picture of Hatahway. In the picture he wears a G.A.R. badge, but he cannot be an old soldier, for he is only 23 years old. The sheriff hoped to catch him last night sometime.
(Topeka Weekly Capital ~ Thursday ~ April 24, 1890)


The Trial of William H. Harrison at Council Grove Results in a Verdict of Acquittal


Council Grove, Kan., April 17---William H. Harrison, who has been on trial in the district court here for the murder of George C. Cooper, was today acquitted by the jury. Cooper was killed at a school house in Neosho township in February, 1886, while a literary entertainment was in progress. Two young men named Furney, another named Biglin, and Harrison were charged with the murder, the affair growing out of some trivial matters published in the lyceum paper. The two Furneys and Biglin were convicted several months ago, but the supreme court has given them a new trial. Harrison's case had been postponed from time to time until this week. He was defended by Malloy & Kelley of this city and W. W. Scott of Emporia, and the prosecution was conducted by County Attorney Owens and Colonel J. T. Bradley of Topeka. There was no evidence against the young man, and Judge Nicholson instructed the jury to bring in a verdict of acquittal, which they did.
(Topeka Weekly Capital ~ Thursday ~ April 25, 1889)


Council Grove, Kan.----A tornado struck Council Grove Lake, northwest of here, Tuesday shortly after 5 p.m., slightly injuring six people and destroyingn 10 cabins.

Council Grove police officers, H. N. Boudeman, said he received a call from Mrs. Don Hunter, who has a cabin on the lake, alerting him to the tornado. Boudeman said he didn't know who the victims were but had been informed that none of them was seriously injured.

Council Grove Lake, located between the city and the new Council Grove Reservoir, is northwest of the city lake. Boudeman said there are approximately 100 cabins around the lake.

The storm apparently damaged some phone lines around the lake and Morris County sheriff's officers from here stopped all traffic to and from the lake area within minutes after the storm was reported.

"We're checking some of the other cabins now. A lot of them are vacant except on weekends. I think there were a couple of cabins badly damaged in addition to the ones that were levelled," Boudeman said.

"We don't know how many people were out there yet. Some of the cabins are owned by people in Manhattan, Junction City, Topeka and places like that. That all might take some time," Boudeman said.

The lake is some distance from the town and most Council Grove residents were unaware that a storm had struck so close.

A Council Grove motel manager said he could hardly believe there had been a storm. "All we had here was a little rain. It didn't even look like a storm."
(Wichita Eagle ~ Wednesday ~ June 18, 1969)


Council Grove----The Kansas Gypsum company has reorganized and elected the following officers: President, Lewis Mead, president of National bank; vice president, J. J. Rhodes, lumberman; treasurer, E. F. Bell, traveling salesman, and secretary, C. L. Haucke, farmer and real estate dealer. These men will no doubt use every influence to push this plant to operation.

The plant is situated one mile west of Council Grove, on the Pollard farm. The holdings of the company consist of a lease on 383 acres of land which is underlaid with gympsum. The transportation facilities are unsurpassed, being adjacent to right of way on the main line of the Missouri Pacific railway and available to M. K. & T. Railway also. A switch will be put in by the Missouri Pacific as soon as the eighty thousand shares of stock are disposed of. The stuff is there and stands 99.2 pure by assay.

T. L. Matkins has the contract from the stockholders to sell the shares and already has four of the best promoters in the field.
(Sedan Lance ~ Thursday ~ June 24, 1909)


Council Grove, Kan.---J. Donald Coffin, Council Grove, perennial Democratic candidate for Kansas lieutenant governor and other political offices, says he will appeal to the Kansas Supreme Court over a $5 traffic fine.

Coffin is a lawyer and president of the Council Grove Telephone Co. and an insurance agency. He is acting as his own attorney.

Coffin was fined $5 in Municipal Court here for leaving the keys in his car. He appealed the conviction to Morris County District Court.

In a July 14 ruling, District Judge Walter E. Hembrow, Council Grove, sustained a motion by the city attorney that Coffin failed to file a proper appeal bond within 10 days.

Hembrow dismissed Coffin's appeal after ruling the bond offered by Coffin was not in proper order. This decision is the one Coffin has notified the court he is appealing to the Supreme Court.
(Wichita Eagle ~ Saturday ~ July 26, 1969)


Squire Williamson, the toughest brownie in Council Grove, arrived here last evening from San Francisco under the escort of Sheriff C. Mickles. Squire Williamson is known in other counties than Morris, but that's his home. While waiting for his trial on the charge of burglary a month ago, he broke jail and got as far as San Francisco before overtaken. He was held in the Emporia jail today and will be taken to Council Grove this evening. Sheriff Mickles is accompanied by Ex-Sheriff H. F. Hamer.
(Emporia Gazette ~ Friday ~ July 1, 1898)


A young Council Grove boy was picked up last night by Sheriff Tom Owens in the west end of the Santa Fe yards and placed in the county jail. He was brought before L. M. Carter, justice of the peace, this afternoon at 3 o'clock. His name was withheld by County Attorney Lon C. McCarty. He was charged with drunkenness.

N. C. Francis called the sheriff from the yard office last night and said a boy was out there who was drunk. The boy was almost frozen, he had lost his cap and his clothes were soaking wet. This afternoon he told the judge he came from Council Grove yesterday to see relatives in Emporia. He said he brought about a pint of whisky with him and some cousins and friends gave him some more, and eh got drunk and wandered around in the yards. He was fined $10 and costs and sentenced to thirty days in the county jail.

The boy's story appealed to the court and on his promise and a note which he signed, not to ship in any more liquor or to get drunk again, his fine and sentence were help up and he was allowed to go home on the afternoon Katy passenger. The boy says he "sure won't do it again."
(Emporia Gazette ~ Friday ~ February 9, 1917)


Mrs. Nutoria Deane is the name of a young woman who came here from Chicago three weeks ago, and began suit to release certain money due her that had been placed in the hands of a Council Grove justice of the peace, pending the action of the court on a garnishment. The Maddens conducted her suit, and the money has been paid to Mrs. Deane under the law tha tmakes a homestead exempt. The homestead involved was the McCollom place, the finest residence property in Council Grove.

A few years ago, Mrs. Deane, who was then a young girl, attended the Normal. She was the adopted child of Mrs. F. D. McCollom, who died about the time Mrs. Deane was attending school in Emporia. Mrs. McCollom was one of those eccentric women, whose peculiarities enable her to take care of her own property. When she was married to McCollom, a contract was signed before a notary public, in which it was agreed that they should be partners in a business sense; that he should control his property and that she should control her property. When the girl was adopted this agreement was put to one more practical term and the adoption was by Mrs. McCollom only.

When Mrs. McCollom died no will was found for weeks. Her daughter knew of her intentions and searched every place for the paper she believed to exist. The story of their discovery as Mrs. Deane tells it reads like a chapter from a fairy book. She dreamed that her foster mother visited her one night and described the place where the lost will awaited her. Waking her room mate she told her the story and together they visited an old box that Mrs. McCollom often used. Behind a drawer was a shoe-button like knob, which, when pressed, opened a shallow place in which lay the will and a copy of her adoption papers. At the breakfast table a dramatic scene occurred, in which McCollom is said to have attempted to get hold of the papers. The scene was but the beginning of a long series in which McCollom tried to prove his right to a half of the property left by his wife. The matter came up in the court but that pre-nuptial contract was submitted in evidence and the court decided that the terms of the will must stand. According to the terms of this will, Mrs. McCollom had bequeathed her husband one dollar. To her daughter the remainder of her property was given and John C. Watson was named as the executor. He failed to qualify and Hugh Stewart was named as the administrator by the court and is now closing up the affairs of the estate. In the meantime the adopted girl, Nutoria, was married to Deane of Chicago. Mrs. Stewart, who was a Bitler, took a fancy to the Council Grove house and it was sold to her by Mrs. Deane. A part of the payment was made in cash and a party by the promissory note. Certain creditors of Mrs. Deane then came forward and garnished the note last month. Mrs. Stewart paid the money into the court and itw as to secure this money that Mrs. Deane came here from Chicago. When she returned to Chicago she had the money. It had been secured under the law which makes a homstead exempt.
(Emporia Gazette ~ Saturday ~ June 23, 1900)


Council Grove, Kan.----Forced integration and the attendant violence have almost become the hallmark of the civil rights movement.

But seven students questioned at Council Grove High School say the element of force is hurting rather than helping the Negro.

The students were asked: "Do you think present methods of integration are effective?"

GLENN HICKMAN, 15, freshman: "This violence is no help to anyone. I don't have any troubles here. Some colored people could try to get along better with whites than they do now. I just try to make a lot of friends and be nice with everybody. Everybody could do it that way if they really tried."

CONNIE BOYER, 16, sophomore: "I don't think they can force integration. It hurts Negroes to put them in a hostile environment and creates hard feelings all around. Force is not the answer. Everyone wants to be accepted, but why not study regular history instead of concentrating on Negro history? It doesn't help to make Negroes feel different from other people. It sets them even farther apart, and I think this is creating another problem in itself."

CRAIG JOHNSON, 16, sophomore: "Integration is gradually working. There always are people in all races who cause trouble. I think education is the key to the problem. I think the Negro probably resents being taken out of his school and away from his friends and put in a strange environment. The violence and the emphasis on being different makes even more resentment."

CANDI BURTON, 16, junior: "To be useful, we all have to be with other types of people. The original idea of integration was good, but the violence is a bad byproduct.

However, now we know there are the black militants and the nice people. I think we had to legislate morality. The only way we made the U.S. was by violence, but it loses its effectiveness after a while. It is uniting Negroes as a race so they are one people now. I think it's time they fought for their rights, and it will get worse before it gets better."

DAVID WORLEY, 16, junior: "I think force is making the difference even more apparent. Negroes shouldn't be pushed out of their own schools and neighborhoods. I think both colored and white should have the right to choose, but no one should be forced. This thing about Negro history and so on is just driving people even farther apart."

ELAINE MONROE, 17, senior: "The use of force is bad. Everyone should be able to go to school where he wants to. I think Negro kids resent being bused to schools where they are made to feel different and have no friends. They should have the freedom to choose instead of being forced."

DARRELL LITKE, 18, senior: "They're hurting integrationw ith all this force because people automatically reject force. I think friendly persuasion is the answer. I'd certainly resent being bused to another school and so do Negroes. The way it's being done is just drawing an even sharper line between people. We've got to be able to talk together and understand one another."
(Wichita Eagle ~ Saturday ~ April 26, 1969)

Council Grove
Cosmos: Some fellow broke the seal on a Mo. Pacific box car that had been switched off at this depot and took there from a pair of shoes out of a box consigned to Beach & Stocker and a hunk of Bologna, belonging to McGeorge, the butcher. At the last term of our court a thief was sent to the pen. for breaking into Mo. Pacific freight cars.
(Western Recorder ~ Lawrence, KS ~ Friday ~ June 6, 1884)


Council Grove, Kan., July 11---Yesterday morning, for the first time in twelve years, a liquor hole was opened in this city. In 1878, two years before state prohibition came, Council Grove drove the saloon away by refusing to grant license under the old law. Young boys have grown to manhood and become the business men of the city---young girls have grown up, married and have families of boys since the reign of temperance. These pepole have never had the temptations of the saloon thrown about them and are determined that their growing families and our beautiful city shall continue to be exempt from the influence of the rum power.

No one here having the hardihood to start in the business, it was reserved for a man by the name of George Ridenour, from Dunlap, Kan., who claims to be an agent for a Louisville house, to openly sell the first liquor yesterday morning.

By noon everyone was talking about the "supreme court saloon" and a mass meeting at the opera house was called at 3:30 p.m. A large and determined crowd gathered.

Hon. J. M. Miller was called to the chair. Dr. O. S. Munseil and others made ringing speeches, and a committee was appointed to wait upon Mr. Ridenour and convey the sentiment of the temperance people to him and request him to desist from further disgracing this temperance city.

The committee reported at once that he refused to "obey anyone except his employer."

Another committee was appointed to give him till 6 p.m. to close.

The meeting then adjourned at 8 p.m., when the house was again crowded, and the committee reported that Mr. Ridenour did not refuse to "obey" the commands of an officer and had been arrested upon a charge of selling whisky in Dunlap, his home town, and his place of business was locked up.

The meeting then elected a strong delegation to go to Topeka next Wednesday to the prohibition convention, and passed the following resolutions:

First---That we deprecate the fact that any man under the pretext of the supreme court decision should be found so low as to attempt to violate the laws of our state and outrage the moral sentiment of our community.

Second---Since it is an accepted maxim of our government that it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people, we believe that the people are a higher judicatory than even the supreme court, which is only their servant to declare their will. Therefore, we, the people of Council Grove, assert our right and the right of our state to regulate our own local matters when not interfering with national rights, and we pledge ourselves by voice, vote and action to sustain the prohibition laws of Kansas.

Third---That we reaffirm strongly and emphatically our devotion to constitutional prohibition, and our determined and unalterable opposition to the reestablishment of the liquor traffic among us.

Fourth---That we call upon our city authorities by ordinance, duly enacted, and rigidly enforced, to declare any place where liquors are sold and drunk on the premises as public nuisances, and also to declare the drinking of liquors on the sidewalks, in the streets or in the alleys of the city to be a misdemeanor, and both classes of offenses to be punished by fine and imprisonment. We further demand of our city authorities a strict enforcement of the law against drunknenness.
(Topeka Weekly Capital ~ Thursday ~ July 17, 1890)


Council Grove, Kan., Dec. 22---Council Grove proposes to be up with the time and has just organized a new society to be known as the Council Grove Columbian club. At its first meeting Geo. P. Morehouse was elected president; Frank Pirtle, secretary, C. L. Kelley, Preston Little and E. A. Gildemeister, executive committee.

The organization is composed of young men who attended the World's fair and they propose during the winter to give several dramatic, literary and musical entertainments of a high character. The grand opening event will be New Year's night at the Cady conservatory of music followed by a superb banquet.
(Topeka Weekly Capital ~ Thursday ~ December 28, 1893)



Council Grove, Kan.----Busing of school students is a topic of concern across the nation, particularly where it involves cross-town movement to help overcome racial segregation.

In many rural areas, unification of school districts has necessitated many students spending extended periods of time on the bus in to and from school trips.

An in Morris County, unification has led to further use of buses--getting 525-550 students to and from lunch five days a week.

Contrary to prevailing criticism of busing, there appears to be no serious opposition to the plan, although it is inconvenient and involves expense.

Council Grove, county seat, is the hub of Unified School District 417.

With the increased load on existing facilities -- the high school and two grade school sites -- kitchen and dining room facilities were converted to other uses.

As result, kitchen and dining activities were shifted to the vacant Kansas National Guard Armory.

Since September 1968, Mrs. Don Stanbrough, chief cook and her staff of six, have been serving hot lunches each school day to the students, grades 1 through 12.

Commencing at 11:25 a.m., the first of three buses making "Lunch Hour Special" runs brings a group to the armory. This in-and-out pattern continues until the last student is finished eating, usually at 12:25 p.m.

"We think it works very well, and as far as I know there are no great problems," said Mrs. Stanbrough.

Feeding schedules are arranged to handle one classroom or several small classrooms in a group. However, high school and elementary groups are not mixed, Mrs. Stanbrough said.
(Wichita Eagle ~ Friday ~ May 9, 1969)

Bruce Woods, colored, who has been held in the Lyon County jail since last December for safe keeping, was taken to Council Grove yesterday by Charles Gibson, deputy sheriff. He will be brought up for trial in the district court, charged with assaulting a woman. Following the incident last fall, it was feared a lynching would result, and Woods was brought to Emporia.
(Emporia Gazette ~ Monday ~ April 7, 1919


A crowd of seventeen men came down from Council Grove this morning to attend the initiation of a class of fourteen into the Emporia Elk lodge tonight. This is the second big class to be initiated into the Emporia lodge within the past two years. The Council Grove young men who will go into the lodge are: Ed Leighton, Dr. F. G. Corey, Dan Deter, J. Cripe, A. H. Strieby, Charles Young, R. N. Gale, Harry Cress, H. G. Hansen, F. B. Marks, Frank Benson, C. L. Finney, Edgar Moser, A. T. Coffey, and Charles Hillebrandt. The other members of the Council Grove crowd are B. K. Stevenson, Ross and Tom Matkins, A. B. Tenney, L. G. Sheldon and C. L. Terry.
(Emporia Gazette ~ Monday ~ December 11, 1905)

Francis Means, a colored tramp whose home is in Council Grove, was seriously injured last night by being pushed from the rear platform of A. T. & S. F., No. 8. Means had been looking for work at Strong City and, being unable to find anything to do there, was beating his way to Osage City. He, in company with two other tramps, was riding on the rear platform of train No. 8, which they had "jumped" at the Junction. After the train had got under good headway, the tramps say, a brakeman came out and pushed them off. Means fell in such a manner that the bones in his left arm were broken, his shoulder badly bruised and his head badly cut. He walked back to town and succeeded to finding Sheriff Gaughan and telling his story. Drs. Page and Morrison were called and dressed Means' wounds after which he was removed to the county farm.
(Emporia Gazette ~ Friday ~ May 22, 1896)


There is nothing very auspicious about the name which we have placed at the head of this article. But at this point a colony of colored people was established a little more than four years ago. The village is named in honor of a white gentleman who, as we are informed, was an Indian agent at the above-named place before the Government moved the Indians from the reservation upon which this thriving little colony of colored people is located.

We personally called on about fifty families of the colonists and can say that we were astonished to find them doing so well. There are a very few of the colored people in this colony but that own their own homes; they own some of the best property in Dunlap, and many have splendid farms. Some are farming ten acres, some forty and others are cultivating as many as eighty acres.

The crops in this section of the State--which is in the south central portion--look as well as crops in any other part of Kansas. The wheat, which in this locality is an average crop, is nearly all in the stock, and the little which remains unharvested is hourly becoming a victim of the reaper.

The corn crop is excellent; and there are many acres of as fine oats as we ever saw. Vegetables, such as are grown in any other part of Kansas, abound upon every farm and garden spot. There is much stock, such as hogs, cattle, mules, and horses owned by these colored people. They make their own butter and have plenty for the market. We cannot express it in any more intelligable terms than to say that these colonists are entirely self-supporting, independent and able to take care of themselves. If meat, bread, butter, eggs and shelter are the necessary ingredients to render a people such succor as will place them beyond want, than these colored people are out of the "woods."

There is no better building stone in the State than there is right in and around Dunlap. All the people need down there now, is to extend a switch of the M. K. & T. R. R. into these stone beds and there will be an abundance of work for hundreds of men in Dunlap.

There are about ten splendid business houses in this little town, the merchants all being of an enterprising and genial class of men. The Dunlap Reporter is a fair weekly newspaper published by Mr. Murphy. There are two colored churches and two very good school houses. The colored children above five years old are able to say the alphabet and read. Indeed there are many of them good readers, some read splendidly in the Second; Third and Fourth Readers. Some of the people of Lawrence would doubtless be surprised to know that many of these little boys and girls are the same little barefooted and half-clad children which they so generously aided in the long buildling on the North Side of the river four years ago. These people ask us to return their thanks to the good people of Lawrence for their kind treatment.
(Western Recorder ~ Friday ~ July 6, 1883)

Dunlap Items

John Means, of Council Grove, is advertising for a wife and he says he wants her before 25 weeks. He says he wants her to be 20 or 25 or 30 years old. He lives on a farm 9 miles from Council Grove and is capable of doing his own business. He has two children and wishes a wife right away.
(Salina Enterprise ~ Thursday ~ January 21, 1909)


The Madden Bros. of This Place Will Defend Them

John Madden returned yesterday from Council Grove and went directly to Topeka. At Council Grove Madden became counsel for John Sample, of Dunlap, who as was stated in the Gazette, of Monday, is charged with passing counterfeit money in his town and of being in league with a gang of counterfeiters in that vicinity. The case will come before the United States commissioner at Junction City on the 28th of this month for hearing. Mr. Madden said today that he had no doubt as to being able to clear his man. The case is being watched by all Morris county with much interest because a large number of the bad coins are afloat in that section of the country.
(Emporia Gazette ~ Friday ~ December 18, 1896)

Tom O'Connor is in Dunlap this afternoon to serve a warrant on Ben Moore for destroying some property on a farm. The complaining witness is Wm. Ray, a well-to-do negro farmer.
(Emporia Gazette ~ Friday ~ April 16, 1900)


The people of Dunlap are excited over what they think will be a disclosure of a counterfeiter's den near that place. Already on man, named G. W. Sample, has been arrested and was brought before a justice of the peace, where he was bound over and taken to the county jail at Council Grove. The officers think they have sufficient evidence for the preliminary.

It is said that a good many counterfeit silver dollars have been circulated among the merchants of that place during the past week.

The sheriff and deputies of Morris county are out on a still hunt.

Mr. Sample is a citizen of Dunlap. He states that he obtained the money there. Mr. Sample, however, strictly maintains his innocence.
(Emporia Gazette ~ Monday ~ December 14, 1896)


The home of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Lyman, living near Dunlap, was robbed Saturday night. The alleged robber was followed into Dunlap and was arrested there by Officer Greer, of Dunlap. He was searched and a razor and several other small articles that he had secured at the house were found on him. A telegram to Sheriff O'Connor told of the arrest, and Under Sheriff Dennis O'Connor went to Dunlap today and returned with the man. He was a tramp. Lyman will swear to a warrant against him and he will be tried at the next term of court.
(Emporia Gazette ~ Monday ~ April 29, 1901)


Marshal Griffith, of Dunlap, went after Bud Howard, brought him back to Dunlap and shut him up. His preliminary was heard yesterday and he was put under $3,000 bond. Harris, the man whom he struck, is still alive but there are fears that he will not recover. Should he die it may cost Howard a life term and it is generally thoguht that he is good for a long time away.
(Emporia Gazette ~ Saturday ~ August 17, 1901)


Boyce, With His Company, Mrs. Laveta Frazier, is the Gent Charged with Scandalizing Dunlap Last February

Herbert Boyce was bound over to the district court on a charge of white slavery, following a preliminary hearing before Justice of the Peace Lon C. McCarty, in the courthouse this morning. S. D. Snodgrass, known as "Silk Hat Harry," who was made defendance with Boyce, was discharged. There was no evidence to implicate Snodgrass in the events at Dunlap upon which the case was founded. The woman, Mrs. Laveta Frazier, whose name first was given as Hayes and against whom a charge of improper behavior was filed, also was discharged and the complaint against her dismissed.

Dunlap was decimated today when a big per cent of its population attended the hearing. Most of the visitors were young men, summoned as witnesses by the state. Those examined were Clarence Blanton, John Blanton, Eugene Chase, Moorhead, Arthur Robinson, Sam Robinson, colored, Marion Carrico, "Toots" Harmon, Oakley Hilton and Jake Guthrie. Mrs. Frazier also took the stand. The testimony concerned two visits of the woman and Boyce to Dunlap, and their actions there. What transpired at a house east of Dunlap was made a prominent part of the examination. Ollie Chapman testified to incidents at the Dunlap hotel during the first visit of the pair to that place. The visits occurred in February, and aroused the citizens of Dunlap to protest.

Snodgrass's father was present for the hearing, and brought along Carr Taylor, a lawyer from Hutchinson, to defend his son. The lawyer's presence was not necessary, as there was no evidence against Snodgrass. Boyce had no attorney. His bond was fixed at $500, but he will stay in jail until the hearing during the May term.
(Emporia Gazette ~ Saturday ~ April 25, 1914)


This morning about 10:30 the parade of the Dunlap and Emporia colored bands, followed by several floats filled with young colored folks and citizens in carriages, passed down Commercial street from St. James Baptist church to Soden's grove. It was a good parade. The two bands were together and made good music. The Dunlap band wore white capes and white caps decorated with red braid. The members of the Odair Ladies' band were dressed in white. The baseball game between the Dunlap and Emporia teams at the grove this afternoon is a close one and is exciting much interest.
(Emporia Gazette ~ Friday ~ August 4, 1899)


Dwight Burglars Found Nothing But Books, However

Dwight, Kan., March 25---Shafer & Jenkin's general merchandise store here was entered by burglars early Sunday morning and the safe blown. There was nothing but books in the safe and the robbers gained little by their work. This is the third time the safe has been cracked within a year. Nothing of a general character was missed from the store.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Tuesday ~ March 26, 1901


Dwight, Kan., Dec. 7---Fire Wednesday night destroyed the Spot Cash store, Swenson's hardware store and the Stickel lumber yard. The loss is estimated at $10,000 with little insurance.

The families of the Rev. Richards, Mrs. Day, George A. Gudge and Frank Swartz, who were occupying rooms in the buildings, lost nearly all their furniture.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Tuesday ~ December 11, 1900)


The high school building at Dwight, Kan., will not open this September. Its students, who numbered 69 last year, will go instead to the much larger Council Grove Unified High School, which is only 18 miles away, and last year had an enrollment of 366.

This move is better for the students and the unified school district. A high school of 69 students cannot offer the variety and depth of education that can be given in larger schools. And costs are tremendously higher per capita for the smaller schools. They're inefficient, any way you look at them.

But the citizens of Dwight didnot vote to close their school until they were confronted with an edict of the state fire marshal. Finding the Dwight building had a wide crack extending the height of one wall, going from inside walls to outside, Marshal Arthur Ramey declared the school unsafe for occupancy, which it obviously was, and had been for a long time.

Yet, before this order, Dwight citizens only last April refused to close their school. This situation demonstrates the refusal to face facts that is widespread among school patrons throughout the state.

Under state school unification laws, patrons of old school districts do not have to send their children to the unified school. They can elect to keep their old school open, no matter how obvious it becomes that they should close it. This is one of the great weaknesses of the school unification act, and one that is keeping per capita school costs so high in Kansas.

We have in this state 138 high schools which had less than 100 students a piece last year. This out of a total of around 500 schools. Every one of the 138 probably would be better closed. Unlike Dwight, however, many of them have good or at least adequate buildings, so there is no outside pressure that can be brought to bear to make school patrons see the light.

Perhaps if Kansas get weary enough of rising school costs they may insist that the law be changed so that inefficient, inadequate schools be closed, and the pupils transferred to unified schools.
(Wichita Eagle ~ Monday ~ August 5, 1968)


Losses Will Amount to $20,000---A Whole Block in Ashes

White City, Kan., Jan. 6---About 6 o'clock this morning fire was discovered issuing from the back window of George W. Norvell's bakery, and in less than an hour the entire south side of the block was in ashes. The heaviest losers were the White City State bank, Mrs. Milligan's millinery store, George Norvell's bakery and restaurant, S. H. Baer, drugs; C. C. Uhl's office; the White City Register; W. R. Bigham, two buildings; A. L. Fisher, one building, and M. V. Anderson's building, occupied by the Register Publishing company. The total loss is about $20,000, with less than $2,000 insurance.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Friday ~ January 8, 1897)


White City, Kan., September 8---While threshing broom corn on the farm of E. J. Oliver, near Dwight, the son of Mr. Rolf accidentally run his arm in the thresher, tearing it to shreds to the shoulder.
(Topeka Weekly Capital ~ Thursday ~ September 11, 1890)


Council Grove, Kan. --- There hasn't been this much excitement in Council Grove since 1825, when the Osage Indians signed a treaty with the government opening the Santa Fe Trail.

For two weeks, Morris County taxpayers---"high behind," as one man put it---have been jamming the courthouse to argue the reappraisal of their property. At times, the crowd, estimated at 500 persons, has filled the courtroom, hallway and spilled down the stairs.

Often, a line has begun to form when the courthouse doors are opened in the morning, although the preliminary hearings do not begin until 1 p.m. And the hearings have lasted until midnight.

Morris County is one of the last to undergo the agonies of reappraisal, but its citizens are no less unhappy than are other taxpayers who have seen the tremendous "dollar gap" between what they know their property is worth and what the appraisers say it is worth.

A "Committee of Taxpayers in Morris County" has been organized, but still is in the process of gathering information. Spokesmen for the group could not be reached for comment.

County Clerk H. C. Shepherd has been the busiest man in the county since the hearings began.

"We've been absolutely swamped for two weeks," he said. "It isn't that people are mad--at least not yet--they just want to know what's happened.

"I think perhaps the timing was a little bad. People got their tax notices for taxes to be paid by Dec. 20 and got the reappraisal figures about the same time. They'll get their new assessments Jan. 1, so everything happened at once."

The hearings, which ended Friday, were conducted by representatives of the appraisal firm, J. M. Cleminshaw, Co., Cleveland, Ohio.

"We're going to insist on more hearings," Shepherd said. "People have a right to know how the reappraisal was done. After that, the county commissioners will sit as an equalization board to hear complaints."

Shepherd noted that the tax bite in Morris County averaged approximately 75 mills this year, compared with about 65 mills in 1967.

"This county levy is up only 3.4 mills," he said, "but the school levy jumped from 16 mills to 33 mills.

"I think most people are confused by the reappraisal because they think it will raise taxes. Under the new appraisal, the mill levy could do down and still bring in the same amount of money. The only way we can cut taxes is to cut budgets."

The tremendous jump in the school budget irritated one woman who declined use of her name.

"Sure, I've got kids in school and I want them educated," she said, "but this is outrageous. I probably wouldn't kick if the teachers would start teaching instead of whatever they're doing. We aren't going to hold still while our property is valued at twice what it's worth just so the teachers can have something for nothing."

Keith Cole said he wanted to "find out how they (appraiser) got the figures they're using."

"I bought a piece of property for $825," he said. "It had been offered at public auction with a minimum bid of $900 and they couldn't get any bidders. Now, the appraisers have it valued at $3,450, and I sure wish I could sell it for that. I intend to find out how they did it."

"The main thing is that people don't know for sure just what's been done to them," said Vernon Anderson, White City. His appointment had been set for Tuesday, but he still was waiting in line Thursday.

"'We know they've got to have taxes, but no one knows what this is going to do. It seems as though they've appraised everything too high.

"They came out to my place and measured the buildings, but they didn't walk any of the ground. I wouldn't buy a farm without walking the ground because I wouldn't know what it was worth, and I don't know how they can tell either."

Perhaps the most pointed comment came from a man who refused to give his name.

"You can just say somebody's got a helluva lot of explaining to do," he said.
(Wichita Eagle ~ Saturday ~ November 16, 1968)


Supposed to Be Forham, A Mine Owner

White City, Kan., June 2---Between 4 and 5 o'clock this morning the train crew on the Rock Island found the body of a man lying near the west switch of passing track at this station and immediately S. M. Ream, justice of the peace, was notified, and the body placed in his charge.

Upon investigation he found letters addressed to J. C. Fordham, 522 South Lawrence street, Wichita, Kan., and written by parties in Colorado Springs concerning mines supposed to be owned by the deceased in the Cripple Creek district.

The body had been dragged several rods and finally thrown outside and north of the track, with the brains crushed out and the body badly chopped up.

He wore blue overalls drawn over a pair of wool pants, brown and gray striped, and of good make, with steel buttons stamped Mode de Paris. His coat and vest were of navy blue cloth, and he wore excellent silk faced underclothing, brown stockings and tan shoes of latest and best style. No watch or money was found on his person, nor any stock pass, by which he could be identified.

Several freight trains and two passenger trains passed here after midnight, and it is difficult to ascertain upon what train he rode. A note for $350, given by Helen Fordham, probably his mother, and a pocketbook showing a deposit March 12, of $20 in the Fourth National Bank of Wichita, Kan., were found on his person.

W. N. Starbeck, coroner of Morris county, and M. L. Kennedy, sheriff from Council Grove, drove over in answer to a telegram from officers here.

This is the fifth fatality on this line of road at or near this station, the first victim being Conductor Chamberlain, who fell between the cars while passing over the train, and was instantly killed.

Later, Mrs. Webb, the widow of Rev. M. D. Webb, a Congregational minister, was killed while walking along the tracks.

Shortly after this a druggist from Council Grove, Eugene Kopf, jumped from a moving train and struck with great force against a barrel of coal oil on the platform and was instantly killed.

And a short time ago a farmer moving from Burlington, Kan., to Oklahoma, transferred with his cars from the Katy and in the boarding the cars got on the wrong train and jumped, striking the ends of the ties, breaking this neck.

In neither of these latter cases was the railroad company to blame.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ Friday ~ June 5, 1896)


John W. Fox of Woodbine, Kan., grand watchman of the State Occidental Mutual Benefit lodge, died of typhoid fever at Abilene. He was to have been marred on the day of his death to Miss Flora T. Rager, of White City. He was sinking, but while she hurried for a license and the minister waited, he expired.
(American Citizen ~ Kansas City, KS ~ Friday ~ August 23, 1901)


Rev. H. J. Bell, of Christian Church, Will Enter New Field

White City, Nov. 23---The Rev. J. H. Bell has resigned his place as pastor of the First Christmas church at this place, having completed his fiscal year's work early this month.  He plans to remain here some time before entering his duties on a new field.
(Emporia Daily Gazette ~ Thursday ~ November 24, 1927  ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


Council Grove Woman Falls in Yard and Injures Her Scalp

Council Grove, Nov. 23 --- Miss Rosey Fisher, of Council Grove, was painfully injured recently when she became dizzy and fell in the yard of the Fisher home in East Council Grove.  A deep gash was cut in the scalp and the attending physician found it necessary to take several stitches to close the wound.

Miss Fisher is elderly and her injury is serious.  Worry over the serious illness of a sister, who resides in Ohio, has made her condition worse.
(Emporia Daily Gazette ~ Thurday ~ November 24, 1927 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


Council Grove, Nov. 23 --- William J. Crampton, a farmer living on Route 3, Council Grove, who suffered the loss of his thumb from his left hand in an accident recently, has found that friends are plentiful in his community.  Mr. Crampton suffers keenly from the injury and finds it necessary to visit the physician's offices daily.

Other than light work is out of the question, so 33 men, all neighbors and friends, pulled their wagons into the Crampton fields recently, topped all the came and kafir, husked all the corn, hauled a good supply of feed, cut wood for heating and cooking, and did numerous other jobs to aid their afflicted friend.

The women of the community served dinner and those who were unable to visit the Crampton home, cooked and baked, sending their contributions by others to show their interest.
(Emporia Daily Gazette ~ Thursday ~ November 24, 1927)


Council Grove, Nov. 24 --- That "mighty oaks from little acorns grow" seems to be the thought of a representative of the Kansas State Agriculatural college, Manhattan, who recently visited here, when he suggested that acorns from the Council Oak in East Council Grove be gathered and sent to schools throughout the state.  Trees grown from the acorns would perpetuate the history of the tree under which the Indians and the United States commissioners held their treaty in the early days.

It is estimated by the college representative that the tree probably was 300 years old, and with good attention would live perhaps 100 years longer.
(Emporia Daily Gazette ~ Thursday ~ November 24, 1927)


Two Morris County Farmers Want To Become American Citizens

Council Grove, Nov. 22 --- Two petitions for application for naturalization will be presented to Judge clark during the December term of court.  Mads. Sorenson, residing near Melmick, who came to American from Denmark in 1884, and Albert Julious Kamiskey, of Alta Vista, who has made this country his home since coming from Germany in 1888, both farmers, would be naturalized.
(Emporia Gazette ~ Tuesday ~ November 22, 1927)


Council Grove, Aug. 24 --- Leo Clark, Morris county farmer, underwent an operation in the local hospital Monday for the amputation of his right leg.  Clark was severely burned in a prairie fire north of Council Grove four years ago, and since that time has spent 16 months in the hospital where a hard fight was waged to heal th burns, and cure infection without the loss of the leg.

Clark, who comes from one of the pioneer families of Morris county, is a son of the late Pete Clark and wife, who homesteaded in this section of the state at an early date.  Clark's parents have been dead for many years and he has continued to live at the farm home with relatives.

Hospital authorities report that Clark is getting along nicely, and that his condition is favorable for complete recovery.
(Emporia Gazette ~ Friday ~ August 24, 1928)


John Smith Was Injured in Accident Last June

Council Grove, Aug. 24 --- John P. Smith, 62-year-old farmhand, who was badly injured June 25 when struck by an automobile, and who has been in the Council Grove hospital since that time, was removed early this week to the Morris county farm, according to Dr. B. E. Miller, head of the hospital.

Smith, who claims Shawnee, Okla., as his home, was struck by a passing automobile while walking along the public road west of Council Grove late at night, and it was not until almost morning that he was found beside the roadway with a broken leg and fractured arm, and his body badly bruised.  Smith was in a serious condition from his injuries and his exposure during the long wait until picked up and brought to the local hospital.
(Emporia Gazette ~ Friday ~ August 24, 1928)


Council Grove, May 4 --- Clifford F. Shambaugh, superintendent of the rural schools of Morris county, has announced the list of teachers who will have charge of the schools for the next term which opens early in September.  Only six schools still are without teachers, and these will have teachers at an early date.

The list of teachers to date, and the schools they will teach are listed by the county superintendent as follows:

Sylvan Park---Miss Mary McMichael
Rohlff---Miss Irene Kasten
Warren Center---Juanita Wodke
Pleasant Ridge---Morie Orton
Liberty---Naomi Holm
Colonel---Una Ruthruff
Corbin---Madge Clayton
Union Dale---Gladys Rotchford
Sunflower---Leota Whittington
Grant---Katherine Allen
East Slope---Lilly Peterson
Southwest---Gertrude Steely
Prairie Flower---Agnes Young
Morning Star---Margaret Godwin
Dwight---Chester Huntsinger, Alice Holm and Neva Morgan
Valley Point---Fern Dougan
Grand View---Arvilla Griffing
Lee---Grace Ziegler
Kahola Valley---Frances Shaeffer
South Bend---Ruth Robbins
Spring Creek---Mildred Bennett
Canning Creek---Faye Dougan
Santa Fe---Flossie Williams
Melrose---Floy Hensley
Swartz---Bertha Waffler
Four Mile--Iva Young
Gillespie---Tina Bell
Prairie Star---Carl Wahl
Burdick---Helen A. Greene, Mabel Erickson
Pleasant Valley---Violet Hermstein
Rose Dale---Henrietta Sandquist
Centerview---Alice Fisher
Lone Star---Lila Loquist
Walker---Florence Carlson
Delavan---Arlone Richardson and Mabel Bruggen
Eureka---Lela Beason
Jayhawker---Mildred Peterson
West Slope---Esther Johnson
Excelsior---Opal Clayton
Excelsior---Myrtle Peterson
Highland---William Burton
Biglin---Hazel Swenson
Marion Hill---Alice Stenstrom
Kitchen---Amy Scharp
Fairview---Gertrude Buchman
Walnut Grove---LeOra Irwin
Castle Hill---Clara L. Drake
Latimer---Lawrence Parker
Beaman---Homer Bolinder
Grand Prairie---Vern L. Harrison
Lower Big John---Theodora Munsell
Dunlap---Dorothea Phillips, Caroline McMichaels, Gloria Moon, Upper Big John, Ruth Maelzer
Central---Ethel McGinty
Kelso---Hazel Torgeson and Bernice Newbury
File---Wm. Koepsel
Ritchie---Audrey Isaacs
Garfield---Hester Orton
Stone Chapel---Vera Galloway
Morris---Nevillie Galloway
Parkerville---Lois Furney and Verda Haun
Baxter---Dorothy Roy
Skiddy---Elizabeth Doyle and Della Ziegler
Hill Springs---Elva Martin
Lull---Gladys Martin
Six Mile---William Martin
Red Top---Lucile Schank
Hurino---Bessie Braun
Burton---Irene Ingmire
Gilmore---Marie Munsell
Olive Branch---Margaret Scott
Round Grove---Mabel Evans
Wilsey---Lindsay Rochat, Ida Bross and Zoe Cook
Garner---Tilla Schank
Fisher---Mildred Allen

White City---Prof. Roehrman, E. Adeline Zerby, Regina Carson and Mandy Stachling

T. J. Mercer, who has been principal of the Diamond Valley rural high school, will teach at that school again next year.  Mr. Mercer formerly was a teacher at the Council Grove high school and resigned the latter position to teach at Burdick.
(Emporia Gazette ~ Friday ~ May 4, 1928 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)





Back to Index Page
Copyright © to Kansas Genealogy Trails' Morris County host & all Contributors
All rights reserved