Farmers of Morgan county are familiar with the type of goods usually offered at farm sales in Morgan county. They pratically always list a few horses, a tractor perhaps and most certainly some kind of machinery or other. Here is a copy of a farm sale that was printed in the Adams County, Iowa, Union Republican advertising a public sale that took place on September 26, 1850.

Having sold my farm and intending to move to Missouri, I will sell at public sale, 1 mile west and 4 miles south of Harrison, Ky., on Saturday, September 26, 1850, the following described property to wit: one buck nigger, 25 years old, weight 225 lbs; 4 nigger wenches from 18 to 24 years old, 3 nigger boys six years old; 13 nigger hoes; 1 fine sled; six yoke of oxen, well broke; 10 ox yokes with hickory bows; 2 ox carts with six inch tires; 1 saddle; 3 double shovels; 2 stump plows; 10 and 12 inch; 15 one gallon whiskey jugs; 100 gallons of apple cider; 1 barrel of good sorgham; 2 barrels of soap; 2 barrels of kraut; 1 extra good nigger whip; 2 tons of tobacco, 2 years old. Sale will start at 10:30 o'clock sharp. Terms cash. I need the money. Col. H. W. Johnson, auctioneer. Bill Crawford, clerk Joe Corley, Owner - Fort Morgan Herald. (Submitted by Linda Outhet Chang)


The following clipping was handed to us for publication by Sidney Pitt and no doubt will stir the memory of many of our oldtime readers:

Mrs. Michael Schallmo, 440 North Topeka, Friday received a clipping from the Republican, Watonga, Okla., paper, which carried the following sale bill issued in Kentucky before the Civil War.

Having sold my farm and am leaving for Oregon territory by oxen teams March 1, 1849, I will sell all my personal property except two oxem teams. Buck and Ben, and Lon and Jerry.

The sale consists of the following: two milk cows, one gray mare and colt, one pair oxen, one yoke and one baby yoke, two ox carts, one iron plow, 800 feet of poplar weather boards, 1,000 three-foot clap boards, 1,500 ten-foot fence rails, one 60-gallon soap kettle, 85 sugar troughs, made of white ash timber, 10 gallons of maple syrup, two spinning wheels, 30 barrels mutton tallow, one large loom made by Jerry Wilson, 300 poles, 100 split hoops, 100 empty barrels, one 32 gallon barrel of Johnson Miller whiskey, 7 years old; 20 gallons apple brandy; one 40-gallon copper still; four sides of oak tanned leather; one dozen wooden pitchforks, a one half interest in the tan years; 32 caliber rifle, bullet rounds and powder horn; rifle made by Ben Miller, 50 gallons of soft soap, hams, bacon, and lard, 40 gallons of sorghum molasses; six head of fox hounds, all soft mouthed but one.

At same time I will sell my six negro slaves - two men, 35 and 50; two boys, 12 and 18 years old; two mulatto wenches, 30 and 40 years old. Will sell all together to same party as I will not separate them.

Terms of sale, Cash in hand or note to draw 4 per cent interest with Buckston Allen security. My house is two miles south of Bowling Green, Ky., on the Allen's Ferry Pike. Sale starts at 8 a.m. Plenty eat and drink. (Submitted by Linda Outhet Chang)


On Monday of last week Frank Sims shot and killed James Dodge in Logan, Phillips County. The two men had had trouble but the Phillipsburg Herald regards the murder as cold blooded and adds that the feeling in Logan against the murderer was so intense that it was feared for a time he would be mobbed. He was lodged in jail at Phillipsburg. (Western Kansas World, August 8, 1885)


Geo. Lowe, of Phillipsburg, while fixing the fire one night last week, burned a opcket book containing $40, which had fallen into the coal scuttle. (Western Kansas World, February 19, 1887)


Irving Rogers, teller in a Phillipsburg bank, was a guest at the Shackleford-Zimmerman wedding. (Thomas County Cat, December 12, 1889)


Fatal Encounter Between a Constable and Farmer in Kansas

Atchison, Kan., May 29 - Edward Hageman, a constable went to the farm of Cyrus Aldrich in Norton County, about 300 miles west of here to take possession of some mortgaged horses. He made known the object of his visit to Aldrich, who warned him not to touch the animals, and at the same time commanded his son and daughter to run the officer off the place. The boy hurled a heavy stone at Hageman and Aldrich drew a revolver and fired. Hageman also drew a revolver and the two men engaged in a deadly duel until they had exhausted their weapons.

When the Battle Ended

Hageman received a ball in the hand and one in the abdomen. The shot in the abdomen brought him to the ground and was the last fired by Aldrich. The ball cut through the man's bowels and he died in great agony at 2 o'clock Wednesday afternoon. Aldrich was also brought down to the ground with three bullets in his shoulder and breast. He is still alive, but his death is hourly expected. When the fight began the men were thirty feet apart, but they advanced toward each other as the battle progressed and when they fell they were almost within arm's length. (Bay City Times, May 29, 1891, page 2)


PHILLIPSBURG, Kan., June 29.

Eight persons were killed in the farming country north of Phillipsburg by a violent storm late yesterday. The dead: Daniel Weaver, farmer; Mrs. Alexander and two daughters; Mr. Morgan, farmer; Morgan's hired man; Elmer Lamb; unknown woman. The houses of C. B. and M. Carwell were destroyed and members of the families buried. The body of Elmer Lamb was found in the ruins of his home. (Date: 1905-06-30; Paper: Morning Olympian, submitted by Barbara Ziegenmeyer)


Logan, Kan., July 17---A sad case of self destruction occurred July 14 about eight miles south of Logan. A young woman, aged 20 years, daughter of John Scott, a prosperous farmer, took her life by drowning herself. The family were absent from home attending a funeral at a neighbor's house, when the deceased proposed to her two younger sisters to take a ride over the farm to see the cattle. She had arrayed herself in her best clothes and had made preparations for the event. Arriving at a pond in one of the draws, about ten feet deep, she adjusted a flour sack about her head, walked into the water and deliberately took her life. The sisters, who were young and unable to render any assistance, sat upon the bank crying, where they were found by the parents on their return from the funeral. The cause of the suicide is unknown.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ July 19, 1898 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


Accidentally Shot Himself----Samuel Cary, a 20-year-old farmer living four miles northeast of Phillipsburg, accidentally shot himself through the forehead with a heavy rifle.
(Sedan Lance ~ June 19, 1908)


Last Tuesday morning about three o'clock the fire alarm was sounded and it was found that the two story veneered brick business house owned and occupied by Ed Wright was in flames.  The building was a new one having been built last summer, and was located about half way between the public square and the Rock Island depot.  The lower story was vacant and Mr. Wright's family occupied rooms in the upper story.  Two railroad employees also roomed upstairs.  The origin of the fire is not known, but as there was an open grate upstairs, it is supposed that the fire originated from sparks or a coal from the grate.  Mr. Wright's loss was $1,500 which includes nearly all his furniture and house hold effects as well as the building.  He had but $500 insurance on the property.  We understand he loses all he is worth.
(Phillipsburg Herald ~ January 10, 1890 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


Rev. B. R. Turner advertised that he would deliver a lecture at the Court House Tuesday evening on "Resubmission, Prohibition, High-License, Which?"  But few attended and he did not speak.  The Elder felt chagrined over the result and expressed the belief that the people misinterpreted his motives.  At the hotel he asked us to examine the manuscript of his lecture which we did.  While we could not agree with Rev. Turner in the position he takes, we will say we believe the Reverend gentleman is sincere.  He claims he is not so much opposed to prohibition as he is to what he calls the hypocrisy of political leaders and apathy of professing ehristians who wink at violations of the Prohibitory law, especially if the transgressors are influential men in the party of church."  He thinks that a well-regulated high-license law rigidly enforced would be better than a prohibitory law poorly enforced and constantly violated.

Doubtless there is hypocrisy; certainly there is considerable violation of the law; it is also true that prohibition does not always prohibit; but notwithstanding all these things, it does incalculable good, and the resubmissionists would do unmeasureable evil to repeal the law and again re-establish the saloon system.  It has been shown that alcohol causes five-sixths of all the crime in the country, fills our jails and penitentiaries and poor houses and asylums, turns tens of thousands of homes into hells on earth for women and children; it nerves the assassins hand, transforms the naturally kind husband and father into a brutal fiend; and in the United States alone annually fills one-hundred thousand graves with bloated, poisoned bodies of drunkards.  It is the crowning curse of the world.  Statistics show that Prohibitory laws largely curtail the fiendish work of strong drink, and are creating a code of laws and manufacturing a public sentiment that promises to curb the demon more and still more.  The Prohibition movement is young; too much must not be expected of it in a year, or ten years.  It may require fifty or a hundred years to unhorse and dethrone King Alcohol who has resigned for centuries.  The Ten Commandments are prohibitory; all laws against crime are prohibitory, and because the statutes against murder, or horse-stealing, or any other crime are occasionally violated, that furnishes no sufficient reason for their repeal.  What would be thought of a man who because the law against horse-stealing is occasionally violated would advise a repeal of that penal statute and propose a license law instead under which a few men, on payment of so much money, should have a permit to steal horses?  For our part we would as soon favor the licensing of a man to keep a menagerie of mad dogs to bite people and give them hydrophobia, as to license him to open up a whiskey shop and sell a poison that makes people beat their wives, murder their neighbors, commit suicide, or leave delirum tremins, No, no!  Let all lovers of this fair State of Kansas; let all men and women who rejoice in peace and quiet; let all lovers of their fellow man frown down, and talk down, and vote down, and if necessary fight down the saloon system -- the colossal curse of the race.
(Phillipsburg Herald ~ January 10, 1890 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


South Side of Square Burns---Only Two Buildings Left

A disastrous fire in Phillipsburg destroyed ten places of business Saturday night, the blaze being first discovered in the Gingle's restaurant at 1 o'clock Sunday morning.  All the buildings destroyed were wooden structures, and the only ones left on the south side of the square, were the Phillips County Bank, a brick building, and a stone building, occupied by the Phillips County Post and the Tucker milinery store, both being located in the southeast angle of the square.

The buildings and places of business destroyed were Fleming's racket store, Dr. Higgins' office, G. W. Bissell's law office, the Gingle's restaurant, Statback's shoe shop, the Hatfield barber shop, the Spaulding tailor shop, Barrett's restaurant, the Commercial hotel, and the telephone office.

The loss was considerable and there was little insurance.

Ont he stock in the Gingle's restaurant there was $1,000 insurance.  The telephone office loss is placed at $1,000.  The majority of business enterprises in the fire were renters.
(The Goodland Republic ~ October 12, 1906 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


Rock Island Train Runs Down Farmer With Team At Crossing

Leonard Stepper, 55 years old, a Phillips county farmer, was killed at Stuttgart, the first station west of Phillipsburg.  Monday evening at about 7 o'clock, by a Rock Island extra, composed of an engine and caboose, which was being  backed from Norton.  The trian was in charge of Conductor Geo. Schiegner and Engineer A. V. Critchfield.

Stepper, with a team, was attempting to cross the track of a crossing when he was struck.  The injured man was taken to Phillipsburg on the same train, but died in a few minutes after the train arrived at Phillipsburg.  The horses broke away from the wagon.
(The Goodland Republic ~ March 17, 1905 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)

Stockton Record:--"The first of the week a constable from Logan, deputized by Sheriff Shorthill, went to Lansing and arrested Bert Orin of Phillipsburg, who was discharged from the penitentiary.  He was brought to Stockton and is now lying in jail.  Something over a year ago Orin was charged with stealing a horse from John Nichols of Bow Creek township, and also a saddle from a man in Phillips county.  He was arrested for the second theft and taken to Phillipsburg, but broke jail before his trial came off.  After a time he was recaptured and upon trial was sentenced to a year in the penitentiary.  He was pardoned by the governor for good behavior, shortening his time by several months.--His last arrest is made for the theft of Nichols' horse.  Oris does not appear to be a bad sort of a fellow and it seems pretty tough to have to suffer twice for practically the same offense.  S. N. Hawkes has been retained as his attorney."
(Deputy Sheriff Smith informs us that Orin broke jail at Stockton, and as yet has not been captured.
(Phillipsburg Herald ~ December 23, 1897 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


Several divorce suits were settled:  In Bailey vs Bailey, divorce granted, Mrs. Bailey to pay Bailey $60 within ten days; in Noble vs Noble, divorce granted, minor children given to mother; parties have been married twenty-five years.  In Cary vs Cary, divorce granted, minor children given to mother; in Clark vs Clark, divorce granted; The case of Grace Frink vs Philo Frink, in which plaintiff asks for divorce, and in which hatchets, black snakes, muskets, etc., have a part, took up the time of the court this afternoon.
(Phillipsburg Herald ~ May 6, 1897 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)



Aged Mother of Man Who Slew His Brother Near Death---Trimble Enters Plea of Guilty

Phillipsburg, Kan., April 27 --- Thomas Trimble, father of John Trimble, who recently slew his brother, died Tuesday night of a broken heart.  He suffered intense mental agony from the time he heard of the awful tragedy until death reclaimed him.  The latest news from the desolate home is to the effect that the aged mother's grief is more than her frail life can bear, and her death is hourly expected.

John Trimble's trial on the charge of murder in the first degree was called in the district court Tuesday afternoon shortly before the news of his father's death was received.  Trimble entered a plea of not guilty, and ex-Congressman N. B. McCormick appeared as his attorney.  The first day's testimony was so overwhelmingly against him that when court reconvened on Wednesday, he withdrew his plea of not guilty and entered a plea of guilty of murder in the second degree, which was accepted by the state.

Geo. W. Voglezong testified substantially as follows:

"On April 18 I was listing corn for JIm Trimble in Russville township.  I saw John going towards home and in about thirty or forty minutes I saw him coming back.  Jim was sitting on the ground.  John was out in the road.  John asked Jim if he had a lease for that land.  He said he had.  John said he must have wanted the land pretty bad to run ahead of him.  John said there were world's of time coming.  Jim then jumped to his feet and went towards John.  Jim had nothing in his hand.  John drew a long bladed knife.  Don't know whether it was a dirk or not.  John said if Jim came any closer he would cut him to pieces.  Jim told me to take off the singletree and while I was taking off the singletree John said he would go to the house and get his gun and he would fix us.  Jim followed him down the road but could not catch him.  John went west towards his father's house.  I put the singlegree back and went on with my listing.  I watched him until he got out of sight down the draw.  When Jim came back he gave me the singletree and went up on the ridge about thirty rods away.  He had nothing in his hands when I saw him.  I did not see him have his pocket knife out.  The next time I saw him he was coming towards me waiving his hands and said, 'I guess he has got me,' and fell.  When I picked him up he had blood on his breast.  I saw a man on horseback over hear the draw that I thought was John.  I heard three shots fired."

Upon the reconvening of court the attorney for the defendant, asked the attention of the court long enough to say that the defendant wished to withdraw the plea of "not guilty" and enter a plea of guilty of murder in the second degree, if it would be accepted by the state.  County Attorney Pratt on behalf of the state announced that the plea would be accepted.   The formal entry of a plea of guilty of the crime of murder in the second degree was entered by the court and the jury was discharged.

The penalty for such a crime is confinement at hard labor in the penitentiary not less than ten years and may be any number of years more than that in the discretion of the court.

During the progress of the trial John Trimble was one of the most composed and coolest individuals in the court room.  The news of the death of his father from grief at the commission of his awful crime had no preceptible effect on him.  He remained the same stolid, indifferent criminal that he has shown himself from the beginning.
(Kansas Semi-Weekly Capital ~ May 1, 1900 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)



A Little Game of 'Possum

Sherman Dennis, a young man whose father lives at Kirwin, a short time since was arrested on charge of burglary and larceny connected with the burning of a store at Mount Hope, in Smith county.  He was brought before Justice Matteson, of Crystal Township, but waived an examination and was placed under $300 bonds.  He was also turned over to the custody of his father until he could procure bonds, his father in the meantime executing an individual bond with the understanding that he was to go to Kirwin and execute another to be given in lieu of it with additional sureties.  Young Dennis soon left Kirwin and went to Concordia, where he passed under the assumed name of Jo Barrett.

It might be well to state here that the small amount of the bond and the lenient manner in which the young man was treated, was on account of his claiming to be but a mere tool in the hands of others, older and more hardened in crime.  And it was thought that by this means the other guilty parties might be brought to justice.

A few days ago another party in Kirwin filed a complaint against young Dennis, charging him with larceny, and upon this the County Attorney procured a warrant for his arrest, but the next thing was to find him, as it seemed that no one but his father knew of his whereabouts.  The old gentleman, under the hope of ferreting out the accomplices who had led his son into trouble, consented to accompany the County Attorney in the search, which he did, finding him at Concordia.  The young man was immediately arrested upon the second charge and brought to this place, but the trial was adjourned until the 29th and he was committed to jail.

Last Saturday, about midnight, our citizens were aroused from their slumbers by vigorous and almost unearthly screams for help, proceeding from the vicinity of the cooler.  Upon arriving at the scene they found the west side of the jail in flames.  Unfortunately the deputy sheriff who had the key, was at Marvin, and it was some little time before the heavy staples could be drawn out, the fire extinguished, and the young man released, at which time he was nearly suffocated with heat and smoke.  It seems that he was placed in the northwest corner cell, and he thought he could burn a hole through the west wall, (which is made of cottonwood studding 2x6 inches, spiked together flatwise) and by this means make his escape.  But the wind blowing from the west drove the smoke back into his cell, and there being no outside aperture into which he could put his face for fresh air, he was nearly strangled before help could reach him.  Since then he has been at the Eagle Hotel quite low, and it was thought for a time that he would not recover.  Until Wednesday he appeared to be entirely deaf and dumb, communicating only by writing.  But Dr. Knight, of Kirwin, came up that day, and he and Doctor Houck, of this city gave the young man a small dose of opium, which effected a wonderful cure, for as soon as he became slightly under the influence of it, he talked as glibly as a street auctioneer.  All of which goes to show that young Dennis was playing a slight game of 'possum.  His father has been attending to him and he seems almost overcome by this trouble.  He has the sympathy of the entire community.  The County Attorney is convinced that Dennis has no accomplices, but claimed that he had for the purpose of gaining sympathy, and perhaps eluding the law.
(Phillipsburg Herald ~ June 27, 1885 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


The following account of a fatal accident of the son of a HERALD subscriber we find in the Repulican City Independent:

"Another of those sad accidents, in which a loaded shotgun, carelessly handled, plays an important part, occurred last Monday, about 12 miles south of this city in Phillips county, Kansas.  Roy, a 15-year-old son of R. P. Stewart, went out as usual in the morning with his father's cattle, but on that occasion he took with him a shotgun, presumably to shoot chickens.  Further than this nothing regarding the accident is positively known.  Late in the afternoon a neighbor boy, who came over to visit with him awhile, found the body of young Stewart lying on the prairie cold in death.  The gun had been discharged and from the nature of the affair it was evident that the boy had, in some unknown manner, accidentally shot himself.  The gun which lay about 40 rods from the body was discovered, and a trail of blood between showed conclusively that he was not killed outright, but that he had endeavored to get home after being shot, but the load had entered the side of his neck severing the jugular vein and the poor boy bled to death before he could reach aid.  It is a very sad affair indeed, and the family have the sympath of their entire neighborhood.
(Phillipsburg Herald ~ January 3, 1890 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


Lyman W. Matteson, of Long Island, Loses Life at Phillipsburg

Topeka, May 4 --- John Q. Royce this morning received a telegram stating that Lyman W. Matteson, editor of the Long Island New Leaf, had been drowned at Phillipsburg.  The telegram gave no particulars, but it is supposed that the drowning occurred in the artificial lake at Phillipsburg.

Lyman Matteson's father, J. D. Matteson, was a delegate to the Republican convention.  Owing to the fact that Mr. Matteson's first name is "Jud," the report became circulated that it was the son of "Judge" Madison of Dodge City, who had been drowned.

Lyman W. Matteson was for some time proprietor of the Phillipsburg Herald.  About a year ago, he consolidated with John Royce's paper, and later sold his interest to Mr. Royce's son.
(Emporia Gazette ~ May 4, 1906 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


A Kansas Assistant Attorney General Causes Three Arrests

Phillipsburg, Kan., Nov. 6 --- Judge W. H. Pratt, who has been named by C. C. Coleman, attorney general, to act as assistant attorney general, has instituted a vigorous prosecution of the "joints".  Two "jointists," Chas. Fensler and L. B. Rolland of Prairie View, were arrested Saturday and their places of business raided, the sheriff securing a small quantity of liquor and some fixtures.  The place of Joseph Bretton of Speed also was raided and two barrels of beer and small quantities of other beverages taken.  A warran was issued for Ernest Shierkolk of Stuttgart, but he escaped.  His place of business was raided.
(Emporia Gazette ~ November 6, 1905 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


Phillipsburg Man Charged With Embezzlement and Forgery Has Disappeared

Kansas City, Nov. 14 --- A special to the Star from Phillipsburg, Kan., says:

"Charles W. Bowman, county treasurer, accused of embezzlement and forgery, and whose preliminary hearing on the latter charge was set for hearing today, failed to appear in court today and his bond was forfeited.  His attorney notified the court that Bowman had disappeared last night, and that his whereabouts were unknown.  For many years Bowman has been prominent in state politics."
(Emporia Gazette ~ November 14, 1905 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


Philliipsburg, Kan. --- Services have been set for three residents found dead here Friday in the wreckage of their light plane.

Dead are Stanley Kinter, 28, the pilot; his wife, Carolyn, 25, and Tom Schneider, 42.

Their plane crashed three miles southeast of here shortly after takeoff early Wednesday morning.  The trio was en route to Batesville, Ark., where Schneider was to have picked up a truck and driven it back to Phillipsburg.

Joint services for Mr. and Mrs. Kinter will be at 10 a.m. Tuesday in Emmanuel Lutheran Church, Stuttgart, Kan.

Kinter was born in Smith County, Kan., and was a member of the saddle club.

Survivors include a daughter, Sheila, and a son, Shane, both at home; his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Earl Kinter, Phillipsburg; his grandparents, John Kinter, Speed, Kan., and Mr. and Mrs. Claude Rivers, Boulder, Colo., and a brother, Kay.

In addition to her children, Mrs. Kinter is survived by her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Alvin Vogel, her grandmother, Mrs. Anna Vogel, and three brothers, Roland, Eugene, and Lee, all of Stuttgart, and a sister, Mrs. Cathy Heersink, Phillipsburg.

Services for Schneider will be at 9 a.m. Monday in Sts. Phillip and James Catholic church, Phillipsburg.

Born in Norton County, Kan., he was a self-employed propane operator.

Survivors include his widow, Dorothy, and three sons, Lynn, Wayne and Bruce, and two daughters, Jeri and Valerie, all of the home; his parents, Mr. and Mrs. T. F. Schneider, Norton, Kan., and three brothers, Sherman, Arvada, Colo., Jim, Monte Vista, Colo., and Merlin, McPherson, Kan.

A memorial has been established with the church.

Oliff-Boeve Chapel has charge of both services.
(Wichita Eagle ~ July 28, 1968 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


Topeka, Kan., Nov. 18 --- J. W. and Birch Handy of Phillipsburg, Kan., were brought here yesterday for arraignment before the United States commissioner on the charge of robbing the Phillipsburg post office.
(Atchison Blade ~ November 26, 1892 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


A Coroner's Jury Investigating the Cause of James McArthur's Death at Agra


The Step-Son of the Deceased Says McArthur Was Kicked by A Horse While


All Kinds of Stories Circulated and Some Sensational Developments Looked for

AGRA, Kan., March 26 --- A coroner's inquest was held here today over the body of James McArthur, deceased.

His step-son, Peter Gruver, testifies that the deceased was kicked by a horse while climbing over a fence, and that at the time he, Peter Gruver, was on a load of straw and did not go to his step-father until after putting up his team.  When he came back he found him still lying where he fell with his head cut and bleeding.  He then picked him up and helped him to the house, where he remained for a short time and then wandered away.

This happened about 4 o'clock in the afternoon and no one was sent for except an older brother.  A search was made at about 7 o'clock and the body was found dead in the creek about 100 yards from the house.

The examining physicians found twelve scalp wounds on the side and top of the head.  The wounds were straight and parallel and there was no fracture on the skull.

A reporter went to the scene of the tragedy and found some blood where he was kicked, but there was no barbed wire or sharp poles of any kind where he fell.  On the bridge from where he fell into the creek a bunch of hair covered with blood and resembling cat hair was found.

All kinds of stories are circulated and foul play is suspected by some.  Sensational developments are looked for.
(Topeka Weekly Capital ~ March 28, 1889 ~ Submitted by Lori DeWinkler)


  back to Index Page
Copyright © 2013 to Kansas Genealogy Trails' Phillips County host & all Contributors
  All rights reserved