Welcome to Rooks County, Kansas Genealogy
A view from the hillside outside of Stockton.
County was founded February 26, 1867 and named for
Private John C. Rooks of the 11th Kansas Infantry
who died December 11, 1862 of wounds received at the
Battle of Prairie Grove near Fayetteville, Arkansas,
during the civil war.
County is located in north central Kansas; with a
total area of 895 square miles of which 891 square
miles is land and 4.6 square miles is water. The
general surface of the county is rolling, with high
bluffs along the south fork of the Solomon River and
did not begin coming into the county until 1871. By
the fall of the next year there were sufficient
population for county organization, which took place
on November 26, 1872 with Stockton as the county
seat. Plainville is the largest city.
First settlers: Joseph, James, Thomas, John
and Francis McNulty; Tunis Bulls, John Wells, John
Powell, Seal Northrup and Capt. J. Owens.
woman settler: Mrs. Robert E. Martin, who
came with her husband and family in the fall of
house erected: February 1871 by the
McNulty Brothers, 2 1/2 miles south of town on the
south side of the South Solomon.
marriage: January 1, 1873 William E.
Newton was married to Mary M. Young, by B.M. Cooper,
a Justice of the Peace.
birth: Myrtle Maude, daughter of Thomas
McNulty, born December 25, 1871 on Elm Creek, 3
miles east and south of Stockton.
death: Erastas Foster, 2 miles from
Stockton, in the spring of 1878. He was buried in
the Stockton graveyard.