W. H. Barnes, lawyer, was born in Madison, Mich., August 28, 1842. When two years of age went with his parents to Washington County, Wis., where he lived on a farm until twelve years old, and with his parents moved to Barton, Wis., where he worked in a store and went to school until he was twenty, then he went to Eyota, Minn., where he followed farming until the fall of 1865, when he returned to Wisconsin, Winnebago County and engaged in the shingle and lumber business until 1867, when he returned to Eyota, Miss., where he kept a hotel until 1869, when he removed to Harrisonville, Cass County, Mo., where he resided until 1873, teaching school during the winters and reading law during the summer. Read law with William J. Terrill and in 1873 he moved to Rooks County, Kan., where he homesteaded a farm and where he lived until 1875, when he moved to the city of Stockton and engaged in keeping hotel until 1877, when he established the first drug store in Rooks County, also had a third interest in what was known as the "Stone Store" and also a third interest in the Stockton Mills, which he was connected with until 1879, when he disposed of his interest in the three establishments and has since given his entire attention to the practice of law. He attended Lawrence University at Appleton, Wis., was admitted to the bar of law. He attended Lawrence University at Appleton, Wis., was admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court of the State of Kansas, at Topeka, Kan., August 31, 1878; and to the District Court of Rooks County in the spring of 1874. Has practiced law in Rooks and adjoining counties since 1873. Married September 29, 1863, to Miss Maria Scott. They have three children - Ella, Merton and Edith. He was elected County Attorney, Rooks County, four years. Elected county Superintendent of Schools, to two terms. He has been a prominent member of the Republican Party in Rooks county for the last ten years, and in 1880 was chosen as one of the alternates. (History of the State of Kansas, Chicago, A. T. Andreas, 1883, Page 1610)
Elam Bartholomew, farmer, Section 10, Township 6, Range 18, Farmington Township, Post office Rockport. He was born in Lancaster County, Pa., June 9, 1852, and when two years old his parents moved to Licking County, Ohio, where he lived on a farm until 1865, when he removed with his parents to Farmington, Fulton County, Illinois, where he followed farming and school teaching until March, 1874, when he came to Rooks County and homesteaded his present farm, where he has since lived as a farmer. He was married June 14, 1876, to Miss Rachel Montgomery, of Farmington, Ill. They have four children, George E., Elbert T., Lizzie F, and Jesse E. Mr. B. has been Township Clerk of his township one year, Trustee three years, and Clerk of the district court of Rooks County two years. (History of Kansas, 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL., page 1612)
BENSON, HARRY ELMER
Harry Elmer Benson, druggist, was born in Potsdam, New York, November 8, 1893 son of Joseph E. and Alice V. (Jolliff) Benson. His father homesteaded in Hill City, Kansas in 1882 and died at La Junta, Colorado, September 18, 1914. He is descended from early pioneers in New York who came there after settling in Vermont several generations before. His mother who was born in Illinois, September 30, 1862, resided at La Harpe. Her father was killed in action in the Civil War just prior to her birth.
Educated first in the public schools of Hill City, Harry Elmer Benson was graduated from high school there in 1913, and the following year attended Kansas University. In high school he was the winner of a basketball letter in 1913. His higher education was achieved entirely through his own efforts.
From 1910 until 1915 while in High School, Mr. Benson clerked for Charles A. Pedroja at Hill City, and in 1916 became the proprietor of a drug store at Palco which he operated until August 1, 1932. On March 20, 1931, he opened a store at Plainville. He was an apprentice during the time he was attending high school and passed the state board examination in May 1915, while still at Kansas University.
Mr. Benson's marriage to Ethel Emma Darnell was solemnized at Palco, May 1, 1918. She was born in Mound City, Missouri, August 30, 1891. She is the daughter of Alexander T. and Vetta (Dillon) Darnell. Both families are from Kentucky. She is an active club worker.
Mr. Benson is a Democrat and from 1916 until 1918 served as city councilman at Palco. He has been township clerk of Northampton Township 1930-32. He is a member of the Chamber of Commerce and a member of the Kansas and American Pharmacutical Associations. He is a Mason and affiliated with Lodge No. 290 of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons at Plainville as well as Salina Consistory.
From May 24, 1918 until November 30, 1918 Mr. Benson served as a private in the United States Army. During Mr. Benson's served as a private in the United States Army. During Mr. Benson's service in the World War Mrs. Benson and Elmer Darnell her younger brother, successfully operated the drug store at Palco, there being a scarcity of registered pharmacists. He is a member of Edmo Gay Post No. 187 at Plainville, the Lions Club and the Red Cross. His favorite sport is hunting. Residence: Plainville. (Illustriana Kansas by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, pages 96-97)
BOGGS, S. S.
S. S. Boggs, farmer, Medicine Township, post office Stockton, was born in Lancaster County, Pa., December 31, 1839, where he resided until six years of age, when with parents moved to Wayne County, Ind., where he lived about four years; then his parents moved to Shelby County, Ind., where he lived on a farm until 1857, when he went to Moultrie County, Ill., where he farmed until 1867, when he removed to Junction City, Kansas, where he run a perpetual lime kiln as an engineer until the fall of 1877, when he came to Rooks County, Kan., and located his present farm, and since has given his attention to farming and stock raising, dealing in cattle until the last year, when he engaged in the sheep business. Brought from New Mexico this year 1,400 sheep. Married to Miss Margaret Hostetter October 21, 1866. They have six children, Olive, Alice, William, Emma, Myrtle and George. Enlisted in Company E, Twenty-first, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, as private, June 13, 1861: discharged as Sergeant March 17, 1865, by special order War Department. Taken prisoner at Chickamauga, Ga., September 20, 1863, and put in prison at Andersonville. Elected as a representative to the State Legislature for 1876-77. Was County Surveyor of Rooks County for past nine years. Is member A. F. & A. M. (History of Kansas, 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL., page 1612)
BRANDT, FRED WILLIAM
Fred William Brandt, automobile dealer, was born in Plainville, Kansas, March 1, 1881, son of Fred C. and Louise (Haglemeister) Brandit.
Fred C. Brandt, a farmer and stock raiser, was born in Lippe-Detmold, Germany, December 16, 1853, and died at St. Joseph, Missouri, March 1, 1910. He came to Rooks County in 1878 where he homesteaded on a quarter section of land a few miles from Plainville. He walked to Plainville from Hastings, Nebraska, accompanied by Julius Stucky and Nelson Baumgartner. His wife, Louise was born in Lippe-Detmold, June 11, 1857, and died at Plainville, June 19, 1890.
Fred William Brandt attended country school and on May 6, 1903 was married to Harriet R. Wise at Plainville. She was born there January 7, 1883. There is one daughter, Anna Beulah, born September 12, 1905.
He worked on a farm until he was about 18, leaving to take up the carpenter trade, which he followed for about 10 years.
Mr. Brandt has been engaged in the automobile business since that time. He is now serving as clerk of the board of education and as trustee of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a director of the Plainville State Bank. He is affiliated with the Republican party.
Mr. Brandt is a member of the Red Cross, the Chamber of Commerce (has held appointive offices), the Lions Club, the Modern Woodmen of America, the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, the Parent Teachers Association and the Rooks County School Board Association, of which he is president. He enjoys hunting and his hobby is mechanics.
He was chairman of the city council for two years and councilman for six years.
Mr. Brandt was born in a sod house and at the present time is one of the two children living who were born in the early pioneers of the county. (Illustriana Kansas by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, page 142)
BRANDT, HARRIET REBECCA
Harriet Rebecca Brandt, clubwoman, was born in Plainville, Kansas, January 7, 1883, daughter of Samuel Koontz and Anna Catherine (Hilderbrandt) Wise. Her father, a farmer, was born in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, July 10, 1854, and died at Plainville, May 24, 1928. When he first farmed it was necessary to haul his wheat all the way to Hays City as there was no railroad nearer to Plainville. Her mother was born in Jacksonville, Pennsylvania, December 18, 1859; she is still living in Plainville. It is exactly fifty years since she arrived in Plainville. Both parents are German.
Harriet Rebecca Wise attended elementary school at West Plainville
until her graduation in 1900 and on May 6, 1903, was married to Fred
William Brandt at Plainville. He was born there on March 13, 1881 and
is an automobile merchant. Mr. and Mrs. Brandt have one daughter, Anna
Beulah, born September 12, 1905, who married A. D. Anderson. Beulah,
who is a bookkeeper, received a high school education and attended
Hays Kansas State College and studied music. She prepared herself to
Mrs. Brandi has for the past 20 years had the agency for the Nu-Bone Corset Company. She is a Republican, a member of the Parent Teachers Association, and the Methodist Episcopal Church. She was county president of the Women’s Christian Temperance Union for 8 years, organizing the county and building it up from two unions to six. She was president of the Epworth League for five years (1915-1920). She is temperance superintendent of the Sunday School, member of the board of stewards of the church. Her clubs include the Flower Club, and the Priscilla Art Club, the Woman’s Foreign Missionary Society (president 1930-). Her hobby is flower raising. Residence: Plainville. (Illustriana Kansas by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, page 142)
J. W. Callender, hardware merchant and district clerk, was born in Luzerne County, PA., November 2, 1845, where he resided until 1855, when he went to Chickasaw County, Iowa, where he lived on a farm until 1868, when he moved to Fayette, Iowa, where he attended the university three years, and until 1878 engaged in teaching school as principal of schools in Fayette, Auburn, Elgin and Postville, and in 1878 came to Stockton, where he established his present business - hardware store. He was married September 18, 1874 to Miss Sarah E. Gardner. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and A. O. U. W. Elected District Clerk of Rooks County in the fall of 1880 and re-elected in the fall of 1882. He has been City treasurer since the spring of 1882. (History of the State of Kansas, Chicago, A. T. Andreas, 1883, Page 1610)
William Carkey, farmer, Section 14, Iowa Township; post office Stockton. Was born in Jefferson County, New York (town of Clayton), January 1, 1817, where he resided until he was twenty-six years of age; lived on farm until he was fourteen years of age, then went into a tannery and learned the trade of tanner and currier, which trade he followed until he was twenty-six years old, when he went to Askeaton, Wis., where he worked in a fanning mill and wagon shop three years, then moved to Manterville, Dodge County, Minn., where he farmed for one year, when he moved to Pawnee City, Nebraska, where he again followed farming for seven years, then returned to Jefferson County, Wis., visiting friends until the spring of 1865, when he emigrated to Nemaha County, Kan., where he followed farming until 1874, when he came to Rooks County, Kan., where he homesteaded his present farm and has since been engaged in farming. He was married to Miss Matilda Spencer, September 1, 1844. They have seven children, Jerome, Franklin, Edwin, Riley, Hulda, Emma and Mina. (History of Kansas, 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL., page 1612)
CHAMBERS, W. L.
W. L. Chambers, senior editor of the Rooks County Record was born in Geneva, Kane County, Ill., February 12, 1856; educated in Geneva High school and when seventeen years of age, went into the Geneva Republican office as local editor and compositor. Remained a year and a half and then for a few months was employed in the business department of the Elgin Advocate. Then started the Dundee Record run it a year and a half, till the fall of 1878, then went in company with T. C. McBreen, and removed the office to Wilber, Saline County, and established the Wilber Record, one year later, sold to Dougherty & Piercell Bros., then removed to Stockton and established the Record. He is a member of the Stockton Lodge of Odd Fellows. In August, 1881 he went on a pleasure trip to California but after his arrival he was engaged as historian by a Historical Company and wrote several county histories there, traveling through a large part of the State. In the summer of 1882 he returned to Stockton. (History of the State of Kansas, Chicago, A. T. Andreas, 1883, Page 1610)
C. G. COCHRAN DIES AT HAYS OF APOPLEXY
His Death Occurred at 7:30 Sunday Morning.
All Western Kansas Shocked by the News.
Was a Pioneer in This Part of Kansas.
Word was received in this city Sunday morning that C. G. Cochran, president of the First National Bank and an old time resident of Plainville had died at Hays at 7:30 a. m. from a stroke of apoplexy.
The news was a shock to this community as it had only been a few days ago that Mr. Cochran was in the city and was feeling fine.
Mr. Cochran is survived by his wife Mrs. Emma Cochran of Hays and two sons, Forrest C. Cochran of Kansas City, Mo., and Azel F. Cochran of Hays.
The funeral services were held at Hays Tuesday morning at 10:00 o’clock conducted by the Masonic Lodge. The remains were brought to Plainville cemetery where a service was also held. Father Henry delivered a tribute to Mr. Cochran that was fine.
The casket was opened to the public at the cemetery, after which the Mason Lodge took charge of the services and lowered the body to its last resting place.
The services were conducted before a large crowd of friends who had come to extend sympathy to the bereaved family and to pay tribute to their friend.
Casey Gregory Cochran was born in a log cabin in Lucas County, Iowa, August 19, 1862. His father John Cochran married Martha Fletcher born in Kentucky in 1846. Case. G. Cochran was the only child of his mother and after her death lived with his grandmother, Mrs. Susan Fletcher until he reached the age of thirteen. Within that time he received all of his schooling in the public schools of Marion County.
At the age of thirteen he started out for himself working on farms by the month, spending one year in Monroe County. For three years he was clerk in a general merchandise store at Columbia, Iowa.
In 1879 he married Miss Emma J. Shaw, daughter of James S. and Margaret (Black) Shaw of Columbia, Marion County, Iowa and in 1881 with their infant son, Forrest C. Cochran, they removed to Rooks County, Kansas, arriving at Hays, Kansas on September 6th, and immediately located on their homestead six mile southeast of Plainville on the NW 1/4 of Section 19-10-17 on the west line of Paradise Township and immediately went to work to make it a home and farm. Their possessions were very limited as their house was only a soddy with earth for a floor.
By industry and strict economy their financial conditions steadily improved. With a yoke of oxen, Mr. Cochran began turning over the buffalo sod to prepare the land for wheat and the yield was good.
On August 1, 1884, he in company with N. F. Shaw bought and took possession of a small stock of general merchandise in Plainville which was the commencement of his business career in Plainville and Northwestern Kansas. Under their industrious and careful management, the store was a success from the start.
On November 5, 1887, they bought from Williams, Boogs & Co. their private bank in Plainville, known as the Citizens Bank. A few years afterwards it was incorporated under the state banking laws of Kansas. In June 1904 it was nationalized as the First National Bank of Plainville, Kansas and still remains as one of the solid financial institutions of Northwestern Kansas. Mr. Cochran was President during all stages of its existence. Soon after entering the banking business, they sold their store. After a short time, Mr. Cochran found that the bank in that day did not give vent to his energy so he bought half interest in a hardware store and a little later bought his partner’s interest. From this start he built and operated for 24 years the largest hardware and implement business in Northwest Kansas. This was the business he loved best.
During the early years of his business career, he began to accumulate farm lands and ranches until the time of his death he owned many thousands acres of good farms and ranches in Rooks and Ellis counties, stocked with pure bred Short Horn and Hereford cattle. He owned the third largest herd of pure bred Hereford cattle in the world.
About 15 years ago he began to expand the banking business until at one time he owned a controlling interest and was President of the following banks; Damar State Bank, Damar Kansas; Zurich State Bank, Zurich Kansas; Farmers State Bank, Walker, Kansas; First National Bank, Ellis, Kansas; First National Bank, Victoria, Kansas; Ellsworth State Bank, Ellsworth, Kansas; Citizens State Bank, Hays, Kansas; First National Bank, Plainville, Kansas; and also stock in the Liberty Trust Company, of Kansas City, Mo. A few years ago, in order to decrease his responsibilities he commenced selling the banks and up to the time of this death had disposed of the Damar State Bank, Zurich State Bank, First National Bank of Ellis, Kansas and First National Bank of Victoria, Kansas.
The greatest part of his business life extending over a period of forty two years, he resided in Plainville. There he took a prominent part in all community interests.
About ten years ago, he removed to Hays, Kansas where he owned and maintained a beautiful home where he and his wife welcomed their many friends with genuine hospitality.
Mr. Cochran was a very busy man with the varied business affairs that required and demanded his attention but few men gave more time and help to committees of the various charitable and civic enterprises of the city. He would serve with equal enthusiasm on a drive for a Presbyterian Church, Methodist Hospital or Catholic College. He did not discriminate on account of creed, race or color of any one and they loved him for it. This was demonstrated to any one watching the timing that passed by his bier with tear dimmed eyes.
His two sons Forrest C. Cochran and Azel F. Cochran have both been trained and educated to understand his business methods. They are capable, ready and prepared to carry on the business successfully. Even now as executors of their father’s will, they are managing, supervising and directing the varied interests with skill and energy.
The business public will only miss the smile and magnetic presence of C. G. Cochran which few men possess. His business is in capable hands who understand the conditions thoroughly.
He was one on the first Masons initiated in Paradise Lodge No. 290 A. F. & A. M. at Plainville, Kansas and retained his membership in that Lodge until his death. His funeral was conducted by the impressive ceremonies of the order. During his residence in Plainville, he was a regular attendant at its meeting. He had held and faithfully filled all the principal offices in the Lodge.
The name of C. G. Cochran was probably known and respected by more financial men from Denver to New York than any country banker, farmer and stockman in Kansas.
After all his great financial and business success is not what will be longest remembered by those who knew him best. He always took time to listen to their problems and troubles. It made no difference with him whether their condition was high or low, he was always ready to give good advice and direct and help them in the right way.
He was never identified with any church but the members and officials of al l the churches in the communities came to him often for financial help and advice.
Educators and teachers came to him for counsel concerning the problems that arose in their schools. High School students desiring work to help them through school, wen to him for aid. Many could not have graduated without the money he advanced to them on their promise to use it well.
A number of young men and women are holding responsible positions obtained on his recommendation. Younger people were his special care.
In going about town, he always kept a watchful eye for stray and neglected boys and would question them and find out what the circumstances were. In a number of cases he picked up boys who had not slept in a bed or had a regular meal for days. He always had a place for them to sleep and plenty to eat. He never rested until they were provided for and had work and a place to stay.
The poor and distressed always received helpful aid by applying to him.
His work on earth is finished and a good man has gone to his reward.
Plainville Times, 3 June 1926, p. 1 Submitted by Paul Albert
DAVIS, A. J.
A. J. Davis, County Clerk, was born in Clay County, Ind., October 13, 1848, where he lived on a farm until 1852, when he went to Jasper County, Iowa, where he resided until 1878. For the six years previous to 1875 he was engaged in the grain and commission business at Prairie City, Iowa and during the year 1877, read law with E. C. Roach, of Prairie City, Iowa, and was admitted to the bar at the December term of the same year in the District Court of Jasper County, Iowa. In May, 1878, he came to Stockton, Kan., where he freighted until the fall of 1881, when he was elected County Clerk of Rooks County., Kan. He was married November 22, 1869, to Miss Katie Noon. They have five children - Clarence T., Minnie, Kittie, Mell and an infant. He is a member of I. O. O. F. and G. A. R. Enlisted as a private in Company I, Second Iowa Volunteer Calvary, January 15, 1865, and was discharged at Selma, Ala., September 19, 1865, as a private, under special order from war Department. (History of the State of Kansas, Chicago, A. T. Andreas, 1883, Page 1611)
DAVIS, E. H.
E. H. Davis, farmer, Sugar Loaf Township; post office Stockton. Was born in Milo, Maine, November 9, 1841, and when only two years of age his parents moved to Boone County, Ills., where he was bred on a farm until 1858, when he went to Nora, Ill., where he followed farming until December 10, 1863, when he enlisted in Company F, Seventeenth Illinois Volunteer Cavalry; discharged as a private December 21, 1865, under special order from War department, when he returned to Nora, Ill., where he was engaged as a farmer until 1868, when he moved to Nemaha County, Neb., where he farmed until 1873, when he came to Rooks County, Kan., when he homesteaded his present farm, and has since been engaged as a farmer and a dealer in cattle. Was married November 4, 1867, to Miss Lima Chambers. They have four children, Charles E., John E., Olive A. and Frank E. Mr. D. was Trustee of Sugar Loaf Township one year, was Road Overseer of the same township two years, member of the School Board, District Sixty-seven two years, and member Vigilant Society for Mutual Protection of Stock. (History of Kansas, 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL., page 1612)
DENNEY, JOHN C.
John C. Denney, Probate Judge, was born in Delaware County, Ohio, November 18, 1852, where he resided until 1864, when he removed to Johnson County, Iowa, where he lived on a farm until 1869. He then removed to Lake County, Ind., where he farmed until 1877, then in the fall of 1878 came to Kansas and located in Stockton, and connected himself with A. L. Patchin in the practice of law. Read law with James Brown of Newcastle, Ind., for eighteen months and attended Normal school at Valpariaso, Ind., for three years, from 1872 to 1874. He was married December 31, 1879 to Miss Hattie McNeeley. They have one child - Arthur J. Mr. Denney was elected probate judge of Rooks County in the fall of 1880. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M. is now practicing law in the firm of Barnes & Denney. (History of the State of Kansas, Chicago, A. T. Andreas, 1883, Page 1611)
Royal Eastman, farmer, Section 30, Medicine Township; postoffice Igo, was born in Allegany County, N.Y., January 23, 1841, and at nine years of age his parents moved to Port Hope, Wis., where he lived as a farmer until the fall of 1860, when he returned to New York, and on April 26, 1861, he enlisted in Company F, Twenty-Sixth New York Volunteer Infantry, as a private; discharged as a private May 3, 1863; re-enlisted as a veteran in Company C, Twenty-third Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, as a private; discharged as a private August 15, 1865. Then went to Blue Earth County, Minn., where he farmed for about five years. Then he moved to Rooks County, Kansas, where he homesteaded his present farm, and has since been engaged in farming and dealing in stock. Has now 26 head of cattle. Was married June 25, 1867, to Miss Cordelia M. Nichols. They had one child, Addie M. was married again December 30, 1877, to Miss Harriet Webster. They have two children, Maudie B. and Corydon M. Was elected trustee of Medicine Township for one year. Is a member of the G. A. R. (History of Kansas, 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL., page 1612)
FALLAS, WILILAM A.
William A. Fallas, farmer Alcona Township; post office Alcona. Was born in Tompkins County, New York, January 13, 1833, where he lived on a farm until he was thirteen years of age, when with his parents he went to Kent County, Mich., where he lived on a farm until 1854, when he moved to Illinois. During the winter of 1854-55 he attended school at Chicago, and during the summer worked on the canal. In the fall of 1855 he moved to Marshall County, Iowa, where he engaged in farming until August, 1862, when he enlisted in company K, Thirty Second Iowa Volunteer Infantry, as a private, moved, where he farmed and built bridges as a contractor until the fall of 1878, when he came to Rooks County and homesteaded his present farm. Married April1 3, 1857 to Miss Lucinda McClarren (since dead). They had three children, Edwin, Lura and Ward. Married again October 12, 1882, to Miss Johana Anglemyse. Is a member G. A. R. Elected County Commissioner of Rooks County one year. Is at present a member of School Board for District Forty-five, Rooks County. (History of Kansas, 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL., page 1612)
Frank Gager, farmer, Sections 30 and 31, Medicine Township, post office Igo. Was born in Erie County, New York, March 4, 1841, where he lived on a farm until 1856, when he moved to Troy, Canada, where he was an engineer for eighteen months. Then he went to Ypsilanti, Mich., where he sold patent medicine for town months. Then he moved to Negaunee, Mich., where he worked in a smelting furnace for one year. Then worked on the railroad until August 4, 1861, when he enlisted in Co. E, Sixteenth Regiment Michigan Volunteer Infantry as a private; discharged as captain of Co. G, July 15, 1865; wounded at Fredericksburg, December 13, 1862, in the left wrist, and at Hatch's Run, February 6, 1865, gunshot wound in the head; after being discharged went to Erie County, N.Y., visiting for two months, when he went to St. Cloud, Minn., where he farmed for one year, when he went to Dickinson County, Kan., and farmed for four years, when he moved to the city of Abilene, where he kept restaurant and ice cream saloon for one year, when he came to Rooks county, September 1871, and homesteaded his present farm, where he has since been engaged in farming and dealing in stock. He was married January 17, 1863 to Miss Fanny Fall. They have three children, Frank, Edward and Benona. Married to his second wife, May 22, 1878, Miss Hattie Layton. He is Road Overseer in District 3, Rooks County, and a member of G. A. R. (History of Kansas, 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL., page 1612)
Wm. Grover, farmer, Medicine Township, was born in Williamson County, Ill., December 11, 1827, where he resided as a farmer until he was thirty years of age, when he moved to Metropolis, Ill., where he farmed until 1871, when he came to Rooks County, Kan., where he homesteaded his present farm, where he has since been as a farmer and dealing in stock and cattle. His cattle business has been in the raising buying and selling. He was married September 27, 1849, to Miss Elizabeth Gill. They have three children, Brunette, Augustus and Cordelia. He enlisted as a private in Co. A, Fifty-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, October 10, 1861, discharged August 13, 1865, as a sergeant; is a pensioner; weak eyes. (History of Kansas, 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL., page 1612)
Wm. Hagemeister, farmer, Medicine Township, P. O. Igo, was born in Prussia, February 15, 1844, where he resided until he was twenty-three years of age, and where he worked as a brickmaker, when he came to America in 1867, and located in Vernon County, Mo., where he followed brickmaking until 1877, when he came to Rooks County, Kan., where he homesteaded his present farm, and has ever since been engaged in farming and dealing in stock. He was married to Miss Eliza Keen, October 11, 1877. They have two children, Frederick W. and Joseph. (History of Kansas, 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL., page 1612)
Associate edior of the News, was born on the 14th day of April 1855, in Dodge County, Wis., in a small village called Mayville, situated on the bank of Rock River. In the spring of 1866, in company with his parents, he removed to Missouri, where he remained until 18 years of age. During his stay in Missouri he attended school for 2 years at the State Normal school located at Kirksville, this being the only high school he ever attended. In the spring of 1873, with his trade (that of jeweler), only partially completed, he left home to do for himself. Two years were spent in wandering from place to place, stopping but a short time in any. In the spring of 1875 he located in Brighton, a small town in southeastern Iowa, remaining there 4 years. While here he was united in marriage to Miss Rebecca L. Scott, and in company with her and his little girl, now 4 years of age, emigrated to Kansas and located at Stockton in 1879. Although Mr. Hart was reared a Republican, his father being a staunch abolitionist at the outburst of the late war, yet he has never voted the Republican ticket. His first ballot was cast for Peter Cooper in 1876, and he has continued to act and vote with the Greenback, Anti-Monopoly party ever since, thoroughly convinced that the principles adhered to by that party are just, his is ever ready to work in its interest, and believes that the time is not far distant when the party will be successful. He has been connected with the News since the spring of 1882.
(History of Kansas, 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL.)
HAWKES, SAMUEL N.
Assistant attorney-general of Kansas with a residence at Topeka, Samuel N. Hawkes is one of the oldest members of the Kansas bar, and has been in active practice in various parts of the state for more than thirty years. He came to Kansas with a training and education received at one of the oldest eastern universities, and his career has been one of uninterrupted success and influential participation in the life of his own community and the state.
He was born at Portland, Maine, May 8, 1861, a son of Charles M. and Susan A. (Whitney) Hawkes. His father, who was a wholesale shipper at Portland, up to 1870 and afterwards in the brokerage business there until 1875, moved his family in the latter year to New Haven, Connecticut, in order to educate his children. New Haven was his home the rest of his life.
Reared in Portland, Maine, and New Haven, Connecticut, Samuel N. Hawkes followed his course in the common schools with preparatory work at Hopkins Grammar School in New Haven, and in 1879 was matriculated in the Yale University. He graduated B.A. in 1883, and two years later received his law degree LL.B. from the same university.
Shortly after his graduation he came to Kansas, and practiced at Topeka and Lincoln Center until 1887, when he established his home in Stockton. Mr. Hawkes still maintains an office in Stockton and was in active practice there until January 1911, when he became assistant attorney-general of the state. For three terms he served as county attorney, and was also city attorney of Stockton.
Politically he is a republican, is a Chapter degree Mason and Modern
Woodman of America. He is a member of the Congregational Church and
belongs to the Saturday Night Club of Topeka. In 1897 he married Edna
Pierce of Stockton. Mrs. Hawkes died October 6, 1909, leaving three
children: Helen Pierce, Ruth Augusta and Edna Susanna.
A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans, Vol 3, 1919, by William E. Connelley
HERREN, ISAAC W.
Isaac W. Herren, one of the most prominent agriculturists of Salt Creek township, is a native of Ohio, his birth having taken place in Noble county, March 31, 1863, his parents being Winget and Cynthia (Crow) Herren. The father went to the war when his son was three days old, as a member of the Seventy-second Ohio Regiment, and was killed in battle. When Isaac was four years old his mother died, leaving him and a brother, William Henry, now living in Hutchison, Kansas, orphans, and they were reared by their mother's brothers. They received but limited education, and in 1880, when Isaac was seventeen and his brother nineteen years of age, they left Noble county and went to Davis, now Geary county, Kansas, and Isaac worked out six years for two men by the month, at from fourteen to twenty-one dollars per month. During that time he went back and visited his old home twice, the last time in 1886, when he was married to Miss Matilda C. Smith, a daughter of Samuel and Nancy J. (Sample) Smith. Their union has been blessed with three sons: Clarence Ray, a boy of thirteen years; and Perry Arlington, nine years old, and the mother still looks almost as young as when she was married.
Her father and mother were both born in Monroe county, Ohio, and she was a daughter of William Sample, a farmer on the farm where her grandfather, Archibald Smith, first settled. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Smith were born twelve children, eight of whom grew to mature age, namely: Porter S, now living in Rooks county, Kansas; Mary Ellen, wife of Theodore Wilson, of Noble county, Ohio; Olive A, wife of L.O. Okey, of Stafford, Ohio; Matilda C, the wife of our subject; Albert R, who died at the age of twenty-two years; Oliver Perry, at home with his parents; and Wylie A, in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Mrs. Herren received a common-school education, and two of her brothers were teachers and one attended college. Oil has been found on their father's farm and there are one hundred derricks in sight of their home. Mrs. Herren's uncle, Robert Smith, was killed in the war, as were also her uncles, George and Milton Sample.
Mr. Herren, the subject of this review, settled on his farm of one
hundred and sixty acres in Salt Creek township eleven years ago, where
he is now engaged in general farming, and the well tilled fields and
the neat and thrifty appearance of everything about the place
indicates the careful supervision of the owner and prove him to be a
man of energy, good judgment and enterprise. He has, therefore, been
very successful in his farming operations and accumulated a
comfortable competence, and is considered one of the leading
agriculturists of his section of the county.
(A Biographical History of Central Kansas Vol 1, 1902 - pg 571-572)
Proprietor of the Randall House, was born in Tippeacanoe County, Ind., Aug 38, 1840. In infancy his parents moved to Warren County, Ind., where he resided for 4 years; then moved to Vigo County, Ind., where he lived for about 7 years; then removed to Marion County, Ill., where he resided on a farm for 2 years, then removed to Nemaha County, Kansas in 1856, where he followed farming until 1881, and since then he has been engaged in keeping hotel in Stockton. He married April 6, 1862, Miss Hester A. Newton. Have 7 children-Ursula, Winona, Margaret, Cynthia, Emma, Warren and Rosa. He was Justice of the Peace of Stockton Township for one term.
(History of Kansas, 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL.)
Register of Deeds, was born in Warren County, Mo., March 28, 1842, where he resided till 12 years old, when he went to Marion County, Iowa, where he attended school and taught school till 22 years old, when he read medicine with Dr. E.H. Keables, of Pella, and attended medical college at Keokuk, Iowa, after he practiced medicine in Marion County, till the fall of 1879, filing in position during 8 years of U.S. Examining Surgeon. He then removed to Rooks County, Kansas, homesteaded a farm on Sec. 4.T.9,R.19. Was married June 23, 1868, to Miss Sarah J. Cross; they have 6 children-Charles, Olive, William, Mollie, Benjamin, Elmer. Elected to the office of Register of Deeds of Rooks County in the fall of 1881.
(History of Kansas, 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL.)
HOOD, EDWARD A.
cashier of the Greenleaf State Bank, has had an active career in Kansas for a number of years, at first in the lumber business and later as a banker. Mr. Hood did not begin life as the son of a wealthy family, but has gained his opportunities by hard word and constant vigilance.
He was born at Salem, Arkansas, October 5, 1878. His ancestors in the paternal line were Scotch people. His grandfather, Graham W. Hood, was born in Scotland, came to this county when a young man and settled in Missouri among the pioneers, and for a number of years was engaged in outfitting freighting trains across the plains. He died at Sedalia, Missouri, more than forty years ago.
G.W. Hood, father of Edward A., was born at Sedalia, Missouri in 1842, and was reared and married in that state. In 1863, at the age of twenty-one, he enlisted in the Seventh Missouri Cavalry, a Union regiment, and was with it until the close of the war, fighting bushwhackers and also in the campaign against Price through Missouri and Kansas. After the war he entered railroading and also took up the ministry of the Methodist Episcopal Church. From Missouri he went to Salem, Arkansas, thence to Little Rock, and in 1890 moved to Stockton, Kansas. He has been retired from the ministry since 1908 and has lived at Tescott, Kansas since 1906. He is a republican and a member of the Masonic fraternity.
Rev. Mr. Hood married Agnes Mack, who was born in Tennessee in 1849. She was the mother of seven children. Lyda, the oldest, died at Santa Fe, New Mexico, at the age of twenty-two, the wife of the late Col. Max Frost, formerly editor of the Santa Fe Daily New Mexican. The next three children, Paul, Erma and Nellie, died in infancy. The fifth in age is Edward A. Frances and Marie still live with their parents in Tescott.
Edward A. Hood acquired his early education in the different localities where his father had his ministerial duites, including the public schools of Little Rock, Stockton, Logan and Salina, Kansas. At the age of eighteen, on leaving school, he went to work in a general merchandise store of Dougherty Brothers at Logan, Kansas. Six months later he entered the employ of McCrosby Brothers for one year, was then with the Logan Lumber Company a year, and for five years was with the Rice & Johnson Lumber Company at Linn, Kansas. From the lumber business he entered the Exchange State Bank of Linn as assistant cashier in 1908, and in 1910 became cashier of the Washington National Bank at Washington for a year, and then accepted his present post as cashier of the Greenleaf State Bank.
This bank was established in July, 1886, under a state charter, by Mr. Stackpole, William Tobey and C.G. Goodwin. The present officers of the institution are: M.F. Southwick, president; H.J. Meierkord, vice president; Edward A. Hood, cashier; and John Heinen, assistant cashier. The bank is located on Commercial Street in Greenleaf, adn its captial is $25,000 with a surplus of $3,500. Mr. Hood is also a director of the Exchange State Bank of Linn and of the Bank of Palmer, Kansas. Besides there important interests he has a farm of 160 acres in Phillips County, Kansas, and has one of the good homes of Greenleaf at the corner of Pine and Fourth streets.
His public spirited activity as a citizen had equalled his business career. Mr. Hood was elected mayor of Greenleaf in 1915, and re-elected in 1917 for a second term. His administration has been a very progressive one. During the first term he completed the installation of the local electric light plant, and at the same time has reduced the city indebtedness by $7,500. Mr. Hood is a republican, is past master of Greenleaf Lodge No 232, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, a member of Tyrian Chapter No 59, Royal Arch Masons, at Washington, of Greenleaf Lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and the Greenleaf Boosters Club.
In 1899, at Logan, Kansas, he married Miss Sue Bowman, daughter of
A.J. and Elizabeth (Dillenbaught) Bowman. Her mother is still living
at Logan, where her father, now deceased, was in the grain and stock
business and also a farmer. Mr. and Mrs. Hood have four children:
Romana, born August 8, 1900, is a senior in the Greenleaf High School;
Kathleen, born July 13, 1901, is also in the senior class of the local
high school; Edward died in 1916, at the age of seven years; and
Graeme, born April 24, 1913.
A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans, Vol 3, 1919, by William E. Connelley
Sheriff, was born in Alexandria, Pa., Sept. 1, 1843 and at an early age connected himself with the coal and iron interest, and until 1876, was employed as a prospector for coal and iron in Pennsylvania; and on his removal to Grinnell, Iowa, in 1876 and also connected with the coal interest in that part of the State as a prospector, until February, 1878, when he moved to the City of Stockton as the Sheriff-elect of Rooks County. He was married Oct. 9, 1866 to Miss Tillie A. Jones. They have 7 children-Lydia E., Anna, Willie, Frank, Marshall, Walter and Ella. Have one dead, Luther - died at the age of 4 years. Mr. Isenberg enlisted in Company I, 5th Pennsylvania Reserve, as private, Dec 3, 1861; transferred, Nov 10, 1862, to Company E. 5th U.S. Cavalry; discharged, Aug 4, 1865, expiration term of service. Is a member of G.A.R., I.O.O.F., and Board of School Directors, District 21, Rooks County, for 3 years.
(History of Kansas, 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL.)
KING, A. M.
A. M. King, farmer, was born in Johnstown, Ohio, January 16, 1838, where he lived until he was fifteen years of age, when he moved to Kosciusko County, Ind., where he lived on a farm four years, when he went to Warsaw, Ind., where he engaged in the coopering business, which he followed until the spring of 1864, when he moved to Benton County, Iowa, where he engaged in farming and buying and shipping stock, until 1878, when he came to Rooks County Kan., and homesteaded his present farm. While he lived in Iowa, and since he has been in Kansas, he has given considerable attention to the breeding of pure Chester white hogs. Was married November 1, 1860 to Miss Sarah Popham. They have three children, Virgil, Bertie and Mertie. He is a member of I. O. O. F. Elected County Commissioner of Rooks County in the fall of 1874, and is present chairman of the board.
(History of Kansas, 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL., page 1612)
Lawyer, was born in Reville County, Canada, March 3, 1841, and when he was 7 years of age his parents moved to Lowell, Mass., where he resided 2 years, and from there went to Rhode Island, where he lived for one year, and then in 1851 emigrated to Buchanan County, Iowa, where he lived on a farm until he was 14 years of age, when he went to Quasqueton, the same county, to learn blacksmithing, which trade he followed until the winter of 1860, and then emigrated to Washington County, Kan., where he farmed and blacksmithed until June, 1871, when he came, to learn blacksmithing, which trade he followed until the winter of 1860, and then emigrated to Rooks County, Kan., and homesteaded his present farm on Sec.13, T.7, R. 18, the first piece of land taken in Rooks County. During the first 7 years he lived in Rooks County, Kan., he kept hotel, and since that time has read and practiced law. During the year 1872 he was one of the incorporators of the town site of Stockton, with his brothers, who came here with him. He was the first settler in Rooks County. Married to Miss Margaret Miller, June 25, 1867; in Washington County, Kan. They have 2 children-Phillip and Grace. He was the first State Representative to the Legislature in 1873. Appointed by Governor as Sheriff to fill vacancy in 1875; same fall way elected Sheriff for 2 years. Was School Director of District No. 6, Stockton Township; 2 years. Enlisted, Nov 14, 1861, in Company H. 2nd Kansas Volunteer Cavalry, as a private; discharged. March 18, 1865, as Quartermaster Sergeant on expiration of term of service. Was crippd by having his horse fall on him near Rising Sun, Mo. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity, also the G.A.R.
(History of Kansas, 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL.)
In the memorial annals of St. Bridget township, this county, there is no name held in better remembrance than that of the late Ross Manly, who has been a resident of that township since the days of his boyhood and who became one of the best-known and most substantial farmers of the Summerfield neighborhood, leaving to his widow and children, at the time of his death in 1901, not only the inestimable heritage of a good name, but a comfortable home and a fine bit of farm property in St. Bridget township, where the family still make their residence.
Ross Manly was a native of Ohio, born on a farm in Harrison county, that state, May 5, 1860, son of Beveridge and Sidney (Stephens) Manly, natives of that same state, the former born on July 14, 1819, and the latter September 1, 1824, who became pioneers of Marshall county and here spent their last days.
Beveridge Manly was a farmer in his native state and along in the middle seventies became attracted to the possibilities awaiting the earnest homestead farmer in Kansas. He came out here with his family and settled in the northeastern part of Marshall county, in that portion of what then was Guittard township now comprised in St. Bridget township, and became a well-to-do landowner, the proprietor of a fine farm of more than seven hundred acres, on which he engaged extensively in cattle raising, in addition to general farming operations. His wife died on the home farm on January 2, 1892, and he survived her until 1907. They were married on March 4, 1846, and were the parents of seven children, of whom the subject of this memorial sketch was the fourth in order of birth, the others being as follows: Allen, who lives in Barber county, this state; Robert, a resident of Axtell; James, who died at his home in St. Bridget township; Rachel Ann, widow of J. Gallagher, living at Boise, Idaho; Mrs. Josephine Jennings, deceased, and Lucy, who married Walter Smith and is now deceased.
Ross Manly was still a boy in his teens when his parents came to this county and he grew to manhood on the home farm in St. Bridget township, completing his schooling in the schools of that neighborhood, and remained at home until his marriage, when he bought a partly-improved farm of eighty acres in section 17 of St. Bridget township, where he lived until after the death of his mother in 1892, when he bough an additional eighty, the west half of the northwest quarter of section 17 of that same township, and there established his home, his father thereafter making his home with him. Ross Manly was a good farmer and in addition to his general farming gave considerable attention to the raising of high-grade live stock and did very well, coming to be regarded as one of the most substantial and progressive farmers in that part of the county, and owning at the time of his death on May 2, 1901, a fine farm of one hundred and sixty acres, on which he had erected a comfortable and attractive dwelling and which he had improved in excellent fashion. He was a Democrat and had ever given a good citizen's attention to local political affairs, but had never been included in the office-seeking class.
Ross Manly was united in marriage to Margaret Coughlin, who was born in St. Bridget township, this county, November 1, 1863, daughter of John and Honora (Rodgers) Coughlin, natives of Ireland, who were married in Kentucky and who came to Kansas in 1858, settling in st. Bridget township, this county, where, they built a log cabin and made their home, thus having been having the very earliest settlers in Marshall county. In that pioneer log cabin five of the nine Coughlin children were born. Of these children Mrs. Manly was the third in order of birth, the others being as follows: Mary, who married Robert Manly, of Axtell; Catherine, who married w. Bowers and is living in Illinois, Anna, who married B. Gallagher, of Stockton, this state; John, who died when five years of age; Joseph, a well-known farmer of St. Bridget township; Bernard, of Axtell; Jennie, deceased and Alice, who is living at Summerfield with her widowed mother.
To Ross and Margaret (Coughlin) Manly three children were born,
Alfred R, Earl and Roy, all of whom are at home with their mother.
Mrs. Manly is a member of the Catholic church, as was her husband, and
their children have been reared in that faith, the family ever taking
an earnest interest in parish affairs and in all neighborhood
good works. Mrs. Manly is the owner of a quarter of a section of land
surrounding her home and she and her family are very pleasantly and
very comfortably situated.
History of Marshall County, Kansas, 1917, Emma Elizabeth Calderhead Foster
PRIVETT, WILLIAM L.
William L. Privett has had much to do with the public life and affairs of Doniphan County, and is now in his third consecutive term as county clerk and county assessor, with official quarters in the courthouse at Troy.
Mr. Privett represents probably the oldest of the pioneer names with a continuous connection with Doniphan county and one of the oldest families in the annals of settlement in the entire state. A number of generations back the Privetts had their home in Germany, and immigrating from there settled in Pennsylvania in colonial times. The founder of the family in Kansas was Mr. Privett's grandfather, William Privett, a native of Tennessee. It was in the year 1846, eight years before the passage of the Kansas-Nebraska act precipitated the struggle between slavery and freedom in the western territory, that William Privett brought his family across the Missouri River and preempted the quarter section in what in now Doniphan County, a tract of land that has been continuously in the same ownership for over seventy years, and part of which is now owned by Mr. William L. Privett. William Privett made a farm out of this land which had never known cultivation in all the ages preceding, and he lived there and prospered until his death in 1875. When the Privett family located in Doniphan County there were only one or two shacks between their home and the river landing at St. Joseph, Missouri. William Privett married Mary Curtis, a native of Missouri. She died on the old farm at the early age of twenty-eight years. Her children were: William L. Sr; Willis, a retired farmer living at Salem, Oregon; and Burns, a retired farmer living in California and owner of considerable land in Rooks County, Kansas.
William L. Privett, Sr, who was born in Tennessee in 1837, was nine years old when his parents came to Kansas. He grew up on the old homestead and spent all his active career as a farmer there. He died in 1899. During the war he had joined the Kansas State Militia and was in active service when Price invaded Kansas. In politics he was a loyal republican, was a member, steward and trustee of the Methodist Episcopal Church, belonged to Troy Lodge No 55, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and for a number of years held the office of road overseer in his district. William L. Privett Sr, married Margaret Berry, who was born at Springfield, Missouri, in 1843, and is still living on the old homestead. They had four children: Charles, a carpenter by trade, and now serving as assessor of Center Township with home at Troy; Leonard, living on the home farm with his mother; William L; and Ada, wife of G.C. Turpin, a farmer residing 2 1/2 miles southwest of Troy.
Willliam Landren Privett was born February 1, 1873. His birthplace was the old farm 2 1/2 miles southwest of Troy and his residence is still on that quarter section where he was born. He grew up there, early became acquainted with the duties of a practical farmer, and acquired his education in district school No 20. Aside from his active participation in official affairs in Doniphan County, he has worked the farm and owns and operates the west half of the original quarter section taken up by his grandfather more than seventy years ago.
For eight years Mr. Privett served as road overseer of Center Township, was township trustee six years, and in 1912 was elected for his first term as county clerk. He was re-elected in 1914 and in 1916. Along with the duties of county clerk her performs those of county assessor. Mr. Privett is a republican, and is a Scottish Rite Mason, having membership in Troy Lodge No 55, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and also belongs to the Scottish Rite Consistory at Kansas City.
He married in December 1905 at Troy, Mrs. Alice (Goss) Taylor, a
daughter of Henry and Sarah (Dittemore) Goss. Mrs. Taylor died January
12, 1917. Her mother still lives at Troy and her father is deceased.
He was the owner of a fine farm of 320 acres a mile and a half north
A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans, Vol 3, 1919, by William E. Connelley
ROSS, LULU BLANCHE
Lulu Blanche Ross, editor and owner of The Palco News, was born at Princeton, Illinois, December 11, 1864, daughter of Frank and Elizabeth Ann (Morrison) Ross. Her father, born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, March 7, 1839 died at Palco April 25, 1914. Her mother was a native of Ohio born January 4, 1840, whose death occurred at Palco in March 12, 1924.
Frank Ross brought his family to Kansas about 1870, where he was a farmer and teacher. he served as postmaster of Palco for about 26 years and was a music teacher also, whose father came from Scotland, and whose mother was Rachel Kirland of Baltimore.
Lulu Blanche Ross was about five years of age when her parents settled in Kansas and for a short period she lived in a log house. during that period her father bagged a deer, the antlers of which ornamented the home for many years. When the grasshopper plague came, altho she was only a small girl, she worked industriously killing all she could. She helped her older sister plant maple seeds and in a visit nineteen years later, saw the great trees which had grown from them.
After the grasshoppers had destroyed the crops, the family moved to Iowa and while living there, Lulu Blanche Ross had the privilege of attending a musical convention arranged by George F. Root, of Chicago, and her father. Both her parents took lessons from Mr. Root while they were living at Princeton, Illinois. At that time Miss Ross was about twelve years of age, and she was taken to Red Oak to take care of a little sister, while her parents attended the various sessions of the convention and sang in the concert at its end
At the expiration of about thirteen years spent in Iowa, the Ross family came to Trego County, Kansas where the father with a few other family heads platted a town. However, as the railroad went thru a few miles farther north, the family finally located about a mile and half from the present site of Palco. Their building was the first moved to the new town. The father had a flour and feed business, kept the first hotel and served as postmaster as stated above.
After her father's death, Miss Ross was assistant postmaster and acting postmaster. For a number of years she has edited her present paper. She is a Republican, a member of the Red Cross, the Women's Christian Temperance Union, the Methodist Episcopal Church, and the Women's Relief Corps. Residence: Palco. . (Illustriana Kansas by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, page 994)
Charles Riseley, who has been in the real estate and insurance business at Stockton for twenty-six years was born at Independence, Iowa, September 16, 1865, son of D. E. and Anna (Riseley) Riseley. His father was born at Boston, Massachusetts, in 1840, and died in Iowa in 1880. His mother, born at Ulster, New York, February 22, 1844, died at Independence, Iowa, September 5, 1930. She was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Educated in public school, Charles Riseley was graduated from business college in 1883 at Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Five years later, on February 21, 1889 he was married at Independence, Iowa to Lena Wardell. She was born there on August 9, 1867. There is one son, Jerry B. born at Independence, Iowa, September 16, 1865. He received his Arts degree from the University of Kansas in 1915 and his Bachelor of Laws degree in 1917. He is in the active practice of law at Stockton.
Mr. Riseley is a Democrat, and for twelve years served as chairman of the Rooks County central committee. he has served as its secretary-treasurer for a like period and in 1924 and 1932 was presidential editor from Kansas.
Since 1916, Mr. Riseley has been manager of the local camp of the Modern Woodmen of America, in which he has held all offices. He was clerk of the Stockton school Board eighteen years and from 1918 until 1922 was chairman of the board of the Stockton Public Library. His religious affiliation is with the Stockton Conregrational Church. Residence: Stockton. ( Illustriana Kansas by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, page 975)
SKINNER, WILLIAM KENNETH
William Kenneth skinner, lawyer and former county attorney of Rooks county, was born in Griggsville, Illinois, January 24, 1884, son of William Oliver and Sarah Frances (Brown) Skinner. His father, who was a physician and surgeon was born in Dry Run, Pennsylvania, January 1, 1846 and died at Griggsville, January 22, 1922. Sarah Frances Brown was born in Griggsville, June 17, 1851 of English ancestry.
Mr. Skinner received the degree of Bachelor of Laws in 1907, from the University of Illinois and the following year was admitted to practice in Kansas. A Republican he was county attorney of Rooks county from 1910 until 1912 and from 1914 until 1918.
On October 16, 1908, Mr. Skinner was married to Ethyl McLaughlin at Palmyra, Missouri. Mrs. Skinner was born in Griggsville, September 13, 1883 of Scotch-Irish ancestry. There are two children, Jane Isabelle, born September 5, 1909; and William Robert, November 2, 1914.
Mr. Skinner is a member of the American, Kansas State and District Bar Associations, the Chamber of Commerce, the Masons, and the Stockton Golf Club. Residence: Stockton. (Illustriana Kansas by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, page 1066)
SMITH, CHARLES W.
Judge C.W. Smith of the Thirty-fourth judicial district was born in Washington county, Wisconsin, Jun 12, 1850, where he worked on his father's farm, attending the district schools in the winter. In 1866 his father, with his family, moved to Cass county, Missouri, where he continued to work on the farm in the summer and taught school in the winter. He graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Arts from the University of Kansas in 1876, and took the Master's degree at the same institution in 1881. Three years before this he had graduated as Bachelor of Laws from the University of Michigan. While attending the Kansas University he was made a member of the Beta Theta Pi, a Greek letter fraternity, and in 1891 became a member of the Phi Beta Kappa, honorary fraternity.
He married Miss Lizzie Williams, a classmate in the University of Kansas, and a daughter of Dr. R.L. Williams of Douglas county. Judge and Mrs. Smith have six children, three boys and three girls. The oldest, Solon, graduated from the University of Kansas last June, the second, Hazel, will graduate from the same institution next June, and the third, Henry, is now a freshman there.
After graduating from the law department of the University of Michigan, Mr. Smith settled in the practice of law at Stockton, Kan., where he still lives. For two years after locating there he edited and published the Stockton News, now the Western News. He was a member of the school board of Stockton for three years, and a member of the Board of Regents of the Kansas University for three years under the appointment of Governor Martin, being the first graduated of the institution to be appointed to that position. He served four years as county attorney of Rooks county, Kansas, and three years as mayor and three years as city attorney of Stockton. In March, 1889, he was appointed judge of the then created Thirty-fourth judicial district of the state, by Governor Humphrey, which office he had held continuously since that time, having been elected four times and reappointed by Governor Stanley because of the adoption of the biennial election law. During the Populistic craze Judge Smith was re-elected although his district cast the largest per cent of Populist votes of any in the State.
The Topeka Daily Capital (Topeka, Kansas) 4 Oct 1903
Everett Grimes Swank, furniture and hardware merchant, was born in Osborne County, Kansas, July 31, 1881, son of Eli Harvey and Harriet Emma (Grimes) Swank. His father now a retired farmer, was born in Danville, Illinois, July 3, 1859. His family were early pioneers in the west.
Harriet Emma Grimes was born in Crawford County, Illinois, June 15, 1848 and died at Woodston, December 29, 1908. She came from a line of professional people.
Educated in rural schools of Osborne County, Mr. Swank originally engaged in undertaking as well as hardware and furniture business. He is the owner of a furniture store and hardware and undertaking business, and the owner of the Nova Theatre at Stockton. He was a director of the Woodston State Bank from 1922 until 1926 and since 1928 has been vice president of the Woodston Grain Company. He also has gold mining interests in Colorado. He is a Republican.
On June 24, 1905, Mr. Swank was married to Sarah Elizabeth Atkinson in Osborne County, Kansas. She was born in Villisca, Iowa, June 4, 1885, her father having been born on the ocean and her mother in Ireland. Mr. and Mrs. Swank have two children, Merle, born May 11, 1908 who married Ardelle Walden; and Warren, August 11, 1912. Merle was graduated from Woodston High School and attended two terms at Hays, and one at the University of Kansas. He now manages a theatre at Stockton.
Mr. Swank is a member of the United Brethren church, the Odd Fellows, and the Woodston-Alton Golf Club. Residence: Woodston. (Illustriana Kansas by Sara Mullin Baldwin & Robert Morton Baldwin, 1933, page 1138)
STROUP, JAMES T.
James T. Stroup, farmer, Farmington Township, was born in Highland County, Ohio, April 11, 1826, where he lived as a farmer until 1867, when he moved to Holt County, Mo., where he engaged as a farmer for two years. Then in March, 1869, he moved to Atchison County, Mo., where he lived and farmed until May, 1871, when he came to Rooks County, Kan., and homesteaded his present farm, where he has since been engaged as a farmer, and buying, selling and raising stock; also for the past three years has carried in a small way at his home farm, a stock of general merchandise. Was married to Miss Margaret Pulse, November 8, 1849. They have six children living, Amanda, Charles, Elmer, Frank, George and Oscar; two children died in infancy, Lizzie and James R. December 15, 1877, adopted Maggie Battalion, whose father is in the insane Asylum. Was a member of the Board of County Commissioners on its organization in 1871 and 1872. Was Trustee of Farmington Township in 1871 and 1872. Enlisted in Co. A, Eighty-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry as a private, August 26, 1862; discharged June 26, 1863, as a private, special order of the War Department, on pension roll; cause, hernia. Was postmaster at Rockport, Rooks County, Kan., from 1872, until April 1882. (History of Kansas, 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL., page 1612)
Shutts Bros., farmers and dealers in stock, Medicine Township. Cassius and Frank Shutts were born in Ulster County, N. Y., March 26, 1848, and Jan 10, 152, respectively, where they lived until 1855, when with parents went to Will County, Ill., where they lived on a farm until 1877, when they came to Rooks County, and purchased their present homestead, where they have since been engaged in farming and dealing in stock. Transactions in stock yearly, $1,500. Cassius was married to Miss Lizzie Belman, Dec. 20, 1881. Was elected County Commissioner Rooks County fall 1881. Frank was married to Miss Alice Tallman, April 14, 1880. Elected Clerk School District 15, Rooks County. Appointed Postmaster at Igo, April 1, 1878, and is the present Postmaster. Also in connection the brothers carry quite a nice line of goods, general merchandise at Igo post office. They have in all 1,120 acres of land. (History of Kansas, 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL., page 1612)
STULTS, L. M.
L. M. Stults, farmer, Section 29, Township 7, Range 16, Lowell Township P. O. Rooks Centre. Born in Greene County, Tennessee, Dec. 7, 1842, where he resided as a farmer until 1871; during the time of the late war he was conscripted by the war, when he returned to Tennessee, where he resided as a farmer and blacksmith until 1871, when he moved to Could County, Kan., where he worked as a carpenter and joiner until April 6th, 1872, when he homesteaded his present farm, and has since engaged in farming. He was married to Miss Amanda Sollenbarger, Dec. 6, 1866; have four children, William, Mary, Honley and a baby. (History of Kansas, 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL., pages 1612-1613)
George Yoxall, farmer and stock dealer, Section 32 and 33 Township 7, Range 16, Lowell Township, P. O. Rooks Centre. Was born in Crewe, Cheshire, England, May 23, 1850, where he resided until he was sixteen years of age, then came to America. Landed in New York, August, 1866, and from there he went to Philadelphia, Pa., where he worked at plumbing and gas fitting for eighteen months. Then from there to Milwaukee, Wis., at his trade for one year, Oshkosh, Wis., two years, and Peoria, Ill., one year, when he moved to Phelph County, Mo., where he farmed until 1870, and in 1871 with the Northwestern Colony from Ripon, Wis., came to Kansas and located in Russell County, where he freighted for one year. Then he went to Barton County, Kan., where he farmed for four years, when he came to Rooks County, Kan., in 1876, and homesteaded present farm, and has since been engaged as a farmer and dealer in stock; has now about 100 head, and is feeding two car loads for shipment. Married Miss Elizabeth T. Tarr, May 23, 1874; have four children, Edward, Albert, Eaton and Fred G. Was Township Clerk Lowell Township two years, School Director District 4, Rooks County, three years. (History of Kansas, 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL., page 1613)
ZIMMERLING, OSCAR W.H.
Oscar W.H. Zimmerling, one of the best-known and most progressive young farmers of Franklin township and the local agent of Marshall county for the Haynes Automobile Company, is a native son of Marshall county and has lived here all his life, a continuous resident of the farm on which he still makes his home, one of the pioneer farms of Franklin township. He was born on that farm on June 20, 1884, son of Ernest Zimmerling and wife, pioneers of this county, further mention of whom is made elsewhere in this volume.
Reared on the home farm in Franklin township, Oscar W.H. Zimmerling received his schooling in school district No 104 and remained with his father, until his father's death, after which he inherited a quarter of a section of the old home place and has continued to make his home there. Since coming into possession on the place and now has one of the best-kept and most skillfully cultivated farms in that part of the county. In addition to his general farming he has for some years given considerable attention to the raising of high-grade live stock and has done very well. In 1916 Mr. Zimmerling accepted the local sales agency for the Haynes Automobile Company for Marshall county and is doing very well along that line, having been quite successful in extending the sales of this make of car throughout this section. Mr. Zimmerling is a Democrat and has ever given his thoughtful attention to local political affairs, but has not been a seeker after public office.
On November 25, 1915, Oscar W.H. Zimmerling was united in married to Clara Brandt, who was born in Rooks county, this state, November 19, 1893, daughter of Fred C. and Louisa M. (Jesberg) Brandt, the former a native of Germany and the latter of Kansas, who were the parents of nine children, of whom Mrs. Zimmerling is the eldest. Fred C. Brandt was born in Germany on December 16, 1854, and was for years a well-known farmer in Rooks county, this state. He died in 1910 and his widow, who was born in Lee county, this state, on January 25, 1865, is now living near St. Joseph, Missouri.
Mr. and Mrs. Zimmerling are members of the Evangelical church at
Marysville and take a proper interest in church work, as well as in
the general social activities of the community in which they live and
are helpful factors in the prominence of all worthy causes designed to
advance the common welfare. Mr. Zimmerling is a member of the local
lodge of the Knight and Ladies of Security and takes a warm interest
in the affairs of the same.
History of Marshall County, Kansas, 1917, Emma Elizabeth Calderhead Foster